(Close Window)
Topic: Magic Tricks for the Blind?
Yes, I know it sounds almost like an Oxymoron, since we think of Magic as being exclusive for the eyes. I have a blind nephew, and he often is around his blind friends. So far, Industrial Revelation and Shift Key have both worked out great with them. I was curious of any of you could suggest some other magic tricks that could be used for blind spectators.
That is a tough one, as magic is basically a visual medium. They hypnotic ring and spring would work.
Do you have a link to the hypnotic ring and spring? I haven't heard of that one.

I'm thinking of letting my nephew in on the secret when I get MD later this summer so the blind guy can correctly state the colors someone has selected.
Slydini's knotted silks maybe.....they could hold the loose ends as a convincer that you have not just switched the silks.

There are also playing cards for the blind.....so they should work too though I have never seen any so I don't know how they would handle.
Things that are tactile could work.
Multiplying sponge-balls comes to my mind first because they can feel how many sponge-balls there are afterwards and there's no picture on the sponge-balls (or bunnies, whatever) like there would be with cards. Maybe touch the back of their hand with the single sponge ball so they could feel it first.
I'll ponder this some more and maybe something else will occur to me.
As an exercise, maybe close your eyes or have a friend close theirs and try some of this stuff and see if the effect works on a non-visual level.
I'm trying to think of auditory things to.
Thinking about maybe a coin (or ring, whatever) in bottle. They can shake the bottle before and after to hear the difference.

This is all very interesting to try and think about.
I just remembered that I think I've heard about Whit "Pop" Haydn performing for the blind before. It might be of use to send him a PM.

Edit*
This routine is in his book, "Street Magic," available here:
http://www.chefanton.com/ScoundrelsStore/whit_haydn_products.htm

I also found this thread when I was looking for that:
http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=4918&forum=5&start=0
Looks like I wasn't the first to think of coin in bottle :)
G'day MNDude

Have you considered looking at the range of effects that are recommended for use on the radio (including some mentalism routines like "Grey Elephant in Denmark") - Banacheck has a CD with this sort of material.

Effects that include mathematical calculations may be suitable.

Rocky raccoon has been effective for me in this situation - with lots of touching involved.

I would second the sponge balls - I have effectively done a multiplying sponge ball routine for a person with a vision impairment.

I will be interested to see what sort of list you come up with.

Bob Latta (aka Troppo Bob)
The other thought is that "blind" covers a lot of ground. What level of visual impairment are we talking about? Also how old is your nephew and his friends?

Danny
This guy has a free e-book you can download; there's a little bit in it about a magician who not only performed a trick for a blind kid, but taught the kid a magic trick to show people. It involved a rope trick. Inspirational stuff! :)

http://www.birthday-party-magician.com/index.html

Hope that helps ...
At last years MAGIC Live there was a whole twenty minute magic show for the blind. so it can be done.

Jon allen has the old age card trick done up with Braille cards.

You might look into Mike Cavney's Power of Darkness routine

David Regal's Hotel 52 in Approaching Magic could also be adapted for a blind audience
This is not a trick for the blind, but rather a routine done by a 'blind magician'. http://sharingwonder.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/there-is-only-one/
[quote]
On 2012-06-12 03:54, djurmann wrote:
The other thought is that "blind" covers a lot of ground. What level of visual impairment are we talking about? Also how old is your nephew and his friends?

Danny
[/quote]

Interestingly enough- since I would like to do some entertainment at some nursing homes around here I was thinking over the last few weeks that maybe I should get some Jumbo Index cards for those with less severe visual impairments.
Blackstone's card trick without a deck would work also...

Jim
The hypnotic ring and spring can be found on Bruce Kalver's website:

http://www.brucekalver.com

Jim
I recommend reaching out to Stan Allen at Magic Magazine to get the contact information for the group that did the presentation at Magic Live. It was an amazing experience and I am sure they would welcome the inquiry.
Cut and Restored Rope:
Effect: A 5-foot length of rope is cleanly cut in two pieces. Each piece is placed into a change bag and when removed it is restored back to one solid length!
Method: Simply have a duplicate length of rope hidden inside your change bag. Cut the extra piece in half and place into the change bag. Perform the change and reveal it has been restored completely.
Paul Daniels spoke about meeting a blind girl at No. 10 Downing street at last year's EMC. I believe he did "the professors nightmare" with the girl feeling the length of the ropes
I use the little "Imp Bottle" all the time and it really is a good effect. I think it would work very well for this.,,

Jim
I honestly never would have thought about performing with a blind audience. I guess in my mind, they wouldn't get very much of the effect at all. And feeling the rope wouldn't seem to be all that helpful because how would they know you don't have another length that they can't see in your other hand or on the table beside you?
Wow! I would have never imagined there were so many tricks that could be performed for the visually-impaired. I haven't come across any blind people in my audience so far. Other than tricks based on mathematics (calculation, magic with numbers) and the multiplying sponge balls, I couldn't really think of anything else.
If this post interests you, then I challenge you to seek out the blind with some of these effects !!!
Call your local association for the blind and offer your services.
That's what I'm going to do.
I have looked at tons of tricks and picked a dozen or so that I can do in the hands and/or minds of a blind person.
My problem now is how to convert these basic tricks from a ta-da moment, into a magical event for a blind person. How many tricks to perform? In what order? Do I write a script verbatim or just an outline and ad lib? I have never done this & I need help.
I need the help of a teacher to help me routine and script it.

When done, I would like to donate this routine to any magician assuring me that they will contact & perform at their local association for the Blind.

If this interests you or if you know someone please Email me at edshern@gmail.com. Would you charge by the hour or set price for the project.

THANK YOU,
Ed Shernoff
edshern@gmail.com
I would explore the field of mentalism. Reading minds is not as visual dependant and there are probably many effects that can be done without
needing vision to appreciate the magic. Get a hold of some mentalism books and see what you can use.
Thanks to everyone for all of your thoughts. I thought I'd add mine as well. Here are tricks that I think would work for the visually impaired:

Hey y'all, this subject comes up a lot. Over the years I have collected different effects that I think would work.

Here's my current list:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0K4qDiD-W0
Hi
One thing to keep in mind about blind people is that relatively few are blind in the sense that they cannot see anything at all. Many if not most blind people have some degree of residual vision and many have whatís called low vision. Maybe they canít see details but can make out shapes and colours. Maybe they have no central vision but can see peripherally or the opposite might be the case. Maybe they canít see in the dark or in dim light but can see in the daylight. Maybe they canít see under bright sunlight. Maybe they canít see colours properly. Likely they have combinations of the aforementioned conditions to varying degrees.

My advice is donít assume what blind people can or cannot see. The best thing to do is ask them. With a bit of understanding and adjustments you might be surprised at what kind of tricks you can do for them
Juan Tamariz has famously done tricks guided over the radio (often card tricks). He just released a tutorial book on these tricks this year. These may be things you could talk a blind person through because they happen for you right in your own hands. While I'm not particularly familiar with the tricks, check them out. Using braille cards they could do the tricks in their own hands per the instructions.

There are a wide variety of these tricks out there. Both from him and other people.

Penn and Teller have done a couple as well.

I wish I could tell you the names. I'm just not very focused on these in my own stuff, but it may be a good way to go.
Highly recommended!

Coin Casket
Airship Magic
https://airshipmagic.com/store/home/139-classic-brass-coin-prediction-casket.html

A spectator places a coin inside a brass container.
The magician instantly knows if that coin is heads or tails side up.

Truly incredible.
No-one will EVER discover the secret.
This can be handled by anyone, and they will not find the secret.
This uses no electronics of any kind.
The magician does not have to see the coin casket which is placed in their hands.
Yet they immediately know which is heads or tails.

A complete mystery.
I would think most propless mentalism would work.