(Close Window)
Topic: I have had my first Basel Busk
Well I went busking off the Barfusser platz this evening on a pedestrianised road lined with restaurants and with people ambling down it. An experienced busker could do OK here I think with a sidewalk show....I did my show mostly in German....I think it was necessary, only a couple of people had really good English.

So how did it go....well I stayed for just under an hour and did 3 shows (15 minutes each), however what I basically did was transfer my usual close up stuff for table hopping to a street show...and I need to be more aware of gathering in other people to expand the circle rather than just concentrating on the guys in front of me. My groups were tiny - 2 4 people and my hats - well forget it. (no problems with the police though....but then I was neither noisy nor had large crowds).

I have sort of busked before...by which I mean I have performed magic at country fairs and church events....very different. For the latter Alan Wong's stargazer works well in hooking kids in and then I can expand the show. At 8pm there are no kids and going up to people with elastic bands really wasn't a winner most of the time....even with people who looked interested. If one has a loud voice maybe it would be good to use it to pull a crowd...but after 2 days of solid talking my voice is not srong...but then it hasn't been for a while and I am having speech therapy.

I found that people who stopped to look could be gone and got with a big smile and some encouragement.

the routine

Ring to envelope,
Professors Nightmare
ACR
Sponge Bunnys

So all in the hands, mostly in the spec's hands and none of it requiring a table....except that a table was very definitely required, no to work off but to hold my sign.

So out of the starting gates ..tick
Learned a few things but not enough ....tick
Hats.....resounding cross

BUT -----I was asked for my card by a guy who is an agent for http://www.mondaynightmagic.ch which might be fun if it comes off.

Danny
Congrats, I had my first day last Saturday and am going back again this Saturday and maybe Sunday. I am also doing ACR, Professors Nightmare (Fiber Optics version), and Sponge Balls (instead of bunnies). My Show is as follows: Draw Crowd: Linking rings, with participation as people draw near. A Jeff McBride Special with an appearing "Magic Wishing Rainbow", for a spectator to make a wish on. I will then go into Sponge Balls, pretty standard routine, with the sponge to square and black ball ending, ACR, finally I will finish with the Nightmare.

My question is, how do you feel about Bunnies over Nightmare is a finale? I hope that by the time I get to Nightmare I have a decent crowd built up, so I want to end with an effect the whole group can see. I think sponge balls, while awesome for a small group, just doesn't have the size for 30+ people. Last Saturday I managed to build a 30+ crowd but was totally unprepared for it.

Anyway, it's interesting to that someone else is using almost the same lineup as me for their starting show! Good luck, and FAT HATS!
Hello,

Re sponge bunnies my thinking went like this......magic in their hands is stronger than in mine, I am also hoping for an awwwww moment....which I hope can be translated into cash. I have read, by those who know, that close up effects, when performed in theatres can still work because the audience who can barely see the trick see the reactions of those specs involved.

My sponge bunnies routine is also family friendly....I don't really like the oh look to bunnies together...little bunnies line...just not me.

So that was my thinking....too soon to say if I am right or not. Need some sort of crowd puller like......a LOT more practice busking! 2 to 4 people is not many :o)

Basically the ring to envelope is probably the strongest trick....

Thinking "look you thought I was going to be rubbish but see I can do amazing things, you will have fun if you stay."

Prof's nightmare.....

ACR.....Thinking "you have seen two tricks, now you are more amenable to cards. Also back to magic in their hands not mine (the ending is an omni deck).

Sponge bunnies.....good reactions, etc etc.

I might change the sponge bunnies to first and the ring in envelope to last....more visual as you say.

Wishing you fat hats

Danny
Kids are saving a grace for a lot of us; but, when you have to work
the late shift your crowd gathering skills will be put to the test
as the kids (sometimes) will have dissipated.

2 - 4, is a start; congrats!!!

Once you get comfortable with performing on the streets, then perhaps
think on how your routines can play bigger than what they are...

Just some thoughts on your routine structure...(there are no rules).

Start with the bunnies for the kids (you'll be surprised how many older
folks like this) and acr for the older crowd. Use this to build.

Now whichever routine you used to build, then open with the effect
you didn't use (i.e. either bunnies or acr).

Next do the rope routine.

Finish with the ring to envelope. Not sure what routine your are doing
here, but borrowing an item to impossible location...sounds like a closer
to me...

As you progress, you play bigger and continue to build your audience.
Selling the most amazing effect on the planet.

Just a thought....
First trick is to get the buggers to stop in the first place - I am considering a net! ;o)

All advice most welcome. I am back in Basel next week so I will follow up on your suggestion then. I rather suspect that the biggest weakness in getting people to stop is me.....but with helpful tips (thank you) and lots of practice I know it will get better.

Thank you again,

Danny
Bunnies over balls EVERY time. I don't know if it's the shape, the rabbit association with magicians... but since I got the bunnies I haven't used the sponge balls once.

EXACTLY the same routine, but the bunnies slay. I have gotten some of the most over-the-top reactions with those little buggers.

Kids love them, women ADORE them (I regularly have 20 something ladies STOP their boyfriends just to see the rabbits).

SBFTW.
For the bunnies my routine goes like this.....I have a magician's purse, very secure (purse frame, show it is empty)...but the only problem with a magician's purse....it's always full of rabbits.....isn't he cute? Who wants to see Mr Bun sawn in half?.....(bring in second bunny)...I call it splitting hares!

etc etc. I agree much better than the sponge balls....but I would quite like to get a squeeker in too. The only other problem I had was a girl who dragged me over to show her friend the bunnies...I didn't want to repeat the trick so I showed something else instead. Still not sure if I did the right thing but yep, bunnies over sponge balls for me too.
LOL! Splitting hares. I LOVE it, djurmann. Good idea with the purse frame, too. Nice transition from the balls to the bunnies!

What I really love about the rabbits is that it's a pure presentation trick.

Kudos! Love the out of box (purse) thinking!