(Close Window)
Topic: ParaLabs Lecture Notes
I'm going to post this in a few spots as I don't want anyone to miss what I think is one of the best books out in a long time. Knowing most mentalists spend most of their time here....

I recently received (as a gift) a copy of the lecture notes that Ranier Mees and Thomas Heine sold after their lecture at PSYCRETS 2012. Calling these lecture notes, or even a booklet, doesn’t do “Sense And Meaning” justice.

97 pages long and obviously a lot of time and expense went into the layout, cover and binding. It is a very nice looking book, in keeping in style with their earlier releases.

Of course a books value shouldn’t be judged by its length or looks but by its content. And as we’ve come to expect from the men from ParaLabs, this is content of the highest quality !

Obviously Ranier and Thomas explore the implications of sense and meaning in mentalism. They share their ideas on creating emotionally vibrant experiences via their “sequences.” Sequence is what most of us would call an effect/trick/experiment/feat but their term is very appealing to me.

Ranier and Thomas know quite a bit about language and how the brain functions and consistently work this knowledge into their sequences. Their applications for applying evidence of a particular kind of brain functioning to selecting the best participant are stunning. This isn’t a linear “are you creative or logical” but something far more subtle.

In their hands, language becomes a method in itself. While there are some similarities this is different from Kenton Kneppers work in this area.

They share their “targets” for presentation which are essentially the themes they apply to each sequence. One sequence might tap into self-awareness, another into astonishment while yet another deals with dismay and consternation.

Don’t worry, your audiences won’t leave dismayed; the target is a means to a positive ending (if that is what you want). Each target is explored in detail including effects that illustrate its theme.

My favorite part of the book is what Ranier and Thomas call ParaLogue and is their opening sequence. Considering they still regularly use this, I’m shocked they were so generous to include it in so much detail.

Obviously I can’t tip it but the impact on the audience is that they are hearing your thoughts in their minds. No props, appropriate for audiences from 1 to 1000 and all the other “bathing suit” clichés are absolutely true here.

ParaLogue is perfect for many venues and purposes. It is a true “mentalistic” opener (as they like to call some of their work) but by no means is resticted to this position. When I read the denouement, I was grinning from ear to ear. It is actually a 2 tiered conclusion, the second taking a powerful and unexpected turn from the first. Thank you so much for sharing this with us, Thomas and Ranier!

The Magic Shard Tree is taught in detail. I believe this is in Neal Scryer and Friends as well. I don’t know if there are any differences but readers of that book know the strength and intimacy that Thomas and Ranier evoke in their work.

There is a bonus section titled “Rashomon Readings.” Another brilliant sequence, this time allowing you to incorporate methods we associate with the Hoy Book Test, to reading the minds of audience members.

I don’t want to go on about each and every effect (though I’m pretty close ). The greatest value in Sense And Meaning isn’t the individual effects (as near perfect as they may be) but the ways of thinking Ranier and Thomas teach us.

The unique talents of these two gentlemen has been more and more evident with each item and book they’ve released. Inside Sense And Meaning, everything comes together and provides knowledge and inspiration that we can all benefit from. Bravo, Thomas and Ranier!

Interested US customers can transfer $58.00 via PayPal to hypnosis@paralabs.org with their shipping address included. Sense And Meaning costs $50 and the $8 is what it costs to ship to the US.

For shipping costs from other parts of the world contact Ranier Mees (mees@paralabs.org) or Thomas Heine at (heine@paralabs.org) to make arrangements.

There are only about 50 copies left so don't wait to long if this is something you are interested in!
Eevn before Bill posted this here at the Café, he sent me a detailed personal email recommending this to me. While I haven't seen it, for Bill to do that, and take the time to write this up and post it here, it must be good!

Bryn
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Jun 28, 2012 04:38AM)
Thank you, Bill and Bryn!
Your appreciation means a lot to us! :)

Th.
This is some great stuff one word brilliant.
Thomas, what's the price for us Germans then (given you still have stock)? :)
I second everything that has been said about these notes. They are fantastic and offer some wonderful ideas on making what you do seem very real and authentic indeed.

Get these while you can.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Thomas told me they're all gone (or reseved) to attendees of the lecture, unfortunately.
If anyone willing to share his copy please drop me a line!
Thanks.
This booklet is fantastic!
Produced in high quality and a first glance at the inside assured me the content is also top notch!
Message: Posted by: Rainer - ParaLabs (Jun 30, 2012 09:44AM)
Just today we got a batch which are not sold in the UK at the Lecture in April.
So a small amount is still available.

Felix: you got a Mail.
Grab 'em while you can!!
Hi Rainer
I dropped you a line to reserve my copy this week but unusually with no reply. Did you received it ?
Thanks
Eric
Hi Eric,

I didn't get your mail but I have count you in.

cheers
Rainer
If I understood correctly, there were 50 copies available when I posted. Within two days there were 30 left. I don't know what has been sold since then but at that rate....
Well, I ordered my set of "lecture notes" last week.
I knew they were a substantial tome, mention had been made of 100 pages or so.

They arrived today.
not what I expected...not by a long way.

I got a BOOK!!!! a real book, with a cover and spine, all bound and printed on nice paper.

I'm used to lecture notes being a load of A4 sheets stapled at the corner.
Or a CD containing a PDF for home printing.

What the Paralabs guys call lecture notes put a lot of other "magic books" (for want of a better term) to shame.

Now I know the content is what really matters, and I've yet to get round to reading them, but the care and attention that Paralabs put into all that they do, shines through and I have no reason to suspect the contents won't be just as carefully crafted.

I put Thomas and Rainer at Paralabs as high as Craig Filicetti at Promystic when it comes to customer care and quality of product.

Now...I'm off to read...don't bother me with anything for a while.

steve
Mine arrived today too - and I am in Canada....

I agree with all above... and I am glad there are only 50 :) - the material is amazingly great.... and its material one can really use!

The service Paralabs demonstrates as well is beyond excellent.
Steve, I can't wait to hear what you think of the insides!
I hope they sell quick to good to be out there.
Wow.
That means your parcel took 3 days from Germany to Canada with the german postal service ...

They know about the importances of the Lecture Notes. So they must have used a extra aircraft for us ;-)
All I can say is Germany-> Canada is way faster than the US-> Canada!!!
Hey guys,

please let us know when the stuff arrived...

cheers
Rainer
I will be sure to let you know when mine arrives. I am in Aussie though and lord knows it takes a while for things to get here some times. expected. Will post when it arrives, I'm pumped!

Cheers,

Dave.
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Jul 12, 2012 02:27AM)
Dear friends,

thank you so much for your interest and trust in our work.
There are just three copies left now - but we wouldn't care to keep them anyway.

Any feedback, thoughts or ponderings about our Sense and Meaning book respectively its contents would be highly appreciated.

All the best
Th.
Nipped in quick with my order. If this is anything like the quality and depth of thought shown in Paralabs' other publications, I have a treat in store.

Neil
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Jul 12, 2012 08:52AM)
So the last 3 copies were sent out today - no more copies available.
Thanks a lot for all your interest and encouragement!

We're looking forward to your feedback, thoughts or ponderings and would be more than happy for any conversations content-wise.

Thank you for your trust in our work!
Th.
Dang! I just saw this thread.

Thomas and Ranier are two of my favorites. Fellas, let me know when you're done with your booklets and I'll buy one second-hand. Peace.

Mike
I received this from Thomas on Thursday and have just completed my first reading of these lecture notes, as steve referred too these are not lecture notes but a properly constructed book complete with a bonus envelope which I sure wasn't expecting!

This was a must have for me being I so enjoyed their Magic Shard Tree which was in Neal Scryer and friends, this being my first contact with Rainer and Thomas from Paralabs.

I can easily associate and connect with the level of their thinking being I am quite an academically equipt and knowledgable individual - some may use the colloquial phrase " High Brow" which mirrors Paralabs thinking.

The lecture was called Sense and meaning however more is given to meaning than sense which for a nerdy guy like myself is absolutely perfect.
Understanding the why in everything is what drives me as a person , we are constantly learning new things daily and if your not why not?

I loved this and thankful I managed to acquire a copy, thank you to Thomas for his prompt shipping which included having the remaining copies shipped from his home to his holiday destination to ensure those wanting one received one promptly, takes customer service to a whole new level - Thank you.

Warmest of regards
Rob Dodge
(DrRob)
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Jul 15, 2012 01:15AM)
Thank you, Rob! :)

As for the weighting of the terms 'sense' and 'meaning' content-wise in the 'Sense and Meaning' book we may have to consider that Rainer and me are just bloody foreigners after all. :dizzy:
So there may be a particular (minor?) shift in the emphasis on both aspects caused by our translation attempt from German to English. Obviously [url=http://writingsupportservices.com/]Les P Cross[/url] who did the copy editing and proof reading smoothed out the far most most of those translation difficulties perfectly and highly perceptive. Nonetheless he could only work with what we provided as basic translations.

Thanks you so much for your appreciation anyway!

Cheers
Th.
It was not intended as any kind of negative Thomas :)

Dr Rob
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Jul 15, 2012 02:24AM)
I didn't understand your remarks negative, my friend! Don't worry! :)
It's just that linguistic aspects in our English publications are an issue by nature. ;)

Have a great day
Th.
Message: Posted by: Crossroads Mystic (Jul 19, 2012 12:41AM)
Another set of notes found their way to a happy home.
Good Stuff!

Thanks,
~G
This is going to be my holiday reading - it deserves being read and studied slowly. Roll on the holidays .....
I got the notes just before they ran out & so glad I did!
Thanks, Dr. Bill for posting.

Thomas & Rainer's notes are performance-changing ideas. The Paralogue Sequence is just as Dr. Bill has said - terrific thinking & scripting!

My next step is to re-read it, slowly, and think of a presentation angle that fits in my show.
Great job!
Hey Rainer,

Just a quick note to let you know...

The eagle has landed.

THANKS!

Dave.