(Close Window)
Topic: Solid vs. liquid vitamins
I tried using liquid vitamins for my doves years ago. I stopped because they did not seem to like the taste. I tried a solid kind a year ago. It seem as though it made their feathers grow back quicker. Yesterday I purchased both, solid and liquid. Have anyone noticed a difference between the two?
I always used liquid vitamins and wheat germ. Just a few drops on top of the their seed was all that was necessary.
I forgot to mention I used the liquid vitamin in the water. One or two drops. They did not like the taste. I will try dropping the liquid drops on their seeds to see what will happen.
Mike, if you really want to make sure your birds get their vitamins, just buy an eyedropper from the pharmacist, he can supply glass one, he may ask you why you need it, just tell him your a magician and need them for your birds. The pharmacist can sell you an eye dropper with a screw cap and bottle.

Take some in the eye dropper and put the eyedropper in their mouth. Go a little past the back of the mouth. Then squeeze the vitamins down there throat.

Another was is to see if your birds like orange juice, and put a little watered down orange juice in their water feeders, with the vitamins in the juice. I read this method in a bird book.

Remember vitamins is a food that will spoil and cause mold, so clean their feed trays and drinking containers after putting vitamins in them.
Vitamins in water for doves has an additional problem. Doves love to play in their water. Put directly on the food, you get better assurance that it was likely ingested. There is also special feed that already has it. Do remember that doves are seed eaters. Meats and animal biproducts in thier commercial feeds is not on the "want list".

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Thanks guys. I will no longer place the drops in the water again. I will place the drops on the seeds only. If I see a major problem, I will place it down their throat.
Mike, look at the vitamins your are buying. Some are made for water and some are made for seed. You need to have the right type.
It is by Ecotrition 8 in 1. It is called Vita-Sol Multi Vitamin. It reads:

"Directions: Gently squeeze bottle. Add 1 drop (0.05g) daily per fluid ounce of drinking water, and 1 drop (0.05g) per ounce of dry seed."
Ecotrition 8 in 1 is fine for both just as it says.
Like Dave, I use liquid vitamins and wheat germ oil...both mixed in with the seed. My birds seem to like it fine. The only minor complaint I have is that sometimes my doves get some yellow staining on their breast feathers.

Regan
Message: Posted by: tropicalillusions (Jul 16, 2012 03:39PM)
Regan ... to avoid those stains we have a wooden tray about a half inch thick, covered with 3/8 hex square hex mesh, the birds have to peck at the seed thru the square mesh, keeps them off their seed, and from spreading it all around, like they do when they are searching for their favorite seed.
Chris, that is a fabulous idea! Thanks so much for sharing it! I bought some cool feeders that are supposed to minimize the wasted seed, but it doesn't help a lot. My birds still manage to waste as much as they eat....or more. I will try to make a tray with the mesh when I get some time.