(Close Window)
Topic: Can you avoid a tax bill by writing "accepted for value" on it?
Cecil Adams comments on the origins of some of the strange notions of so-called Sovereign Citizens:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/3057/can-i-avoid-paying-a-tax-bill-by-writing-accepted-for-value-on-it

Funny article that offers some insights into the workings of deranged minds.
We all know I am no fan of taxes. But wow.

Lets pretend we live in a world where any of that makes sense. If we didn't have some sort of taxes, how do we get along as a society?
Bob's deranged mind readings! :)

“You’re right, there’s a logic at work here. Granted, it’s logic that only a psychotic can fully appreciate. However, we live in a country where the Supreme Court has interpreted the 14th Amendment, which was intended to protect the rights of former slaves, to mean that corporations are the legal equivalent of humans. Acceptance for value, A4V for short, involves reasoning only marginally more bizarre. So we ignore these people at our peril. They may someday rule.”

Corporations being treated as legal equivalent of humans goes back before America existed and there is nowt bizarre about it, or so it seems to me.

The word "corporation" derives from corpus, the Latin word for body, or a "body of people." By the time of Justinian (reigned 527-565), Roman Law recognized a range of corporate entities under the names universitas, corpus or collegium. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation.
[quote]
On 2012-07-10 12:26, Dannydoyle wrote:
If we didn't have some sort of taxes, how do we get along as a society?
[/quote]

Like, barter fairs, maaaaaaan....
[quote]
On 2012-07-10 12:41, tommy wrote:
[/quote]

You must have seen some of my shows! Some of the "thoughts" people come up with are more amazing than the revelations themselves.

:eek:
Assuming for a moment that there's any validity to these people's theories, they're still making the assumption that the government would actually "play fair." They're the ones who get to interpret the statutes in the end, not you, so it doesn't matter how many papers you file, there are no magic words that will "force" the state to say "ok, you got us. This guys read the rule book, let him go."
[quote]

“You’re right, there’s a logic at work here. Granted, it’s logic that only a psychotic can fully appreciate. However, we live in a country where the Supreme Court has interpreted the 14th Amendment, which was intended to protect the rights of former slaves, to mean that corporations are the legal equivalent of humans. Acceptance for value, A4V for short, involves reasoning only marginally more bizarre. So we ignore these people at our peril. They may someday rule.”

Corporations being treated as legal equivalent of humans goes back before America existed and there is nowt bizarre about it, or so it seems to me.

The word "corporation" derives from corpus, the Latin word for body, or a "body of people." By the time of Justinian (reigned 527-565), Roman Law recognized a range of corporate entities under the names universitas, corpus or collegium. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporation.
[/quote]

I don't think they decided that corporations are the legal equivalent of humans. Just that the humans that make up the corporation are the legal equivalent of humans.
It is better to be alone than in bad company.

- George Washington
[quote]
On 2012-07-10 16:04, rockwall wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

I don't think they decided that corporations are the legal equivalent of humans. Just that the humans that make up the corporation are the legal equivalent of humans.
[/quote]
No, it's always been clear that individuals can contribute to a candidate; corporations may do so in addition as a corporation, regardless of what individual stockholders may think.

It's an incoherent position as long as corporations are not dissolved on the basis of the murders they committed. (See cover-ups by cigarette and pharma corps. The analogy to life imprisonment or the death penalty would be dissolution.)