(Close Window)
Topic: I encountered a bee
Ok, possibly silly story warning...

Went for my morning swim today. About midway, I noticed a bee floating in the water, struggling. Well I couldn't just leave it there, I am that soft. Took off my glasses and picked up the bee, took it to the side. It looked kinda funny, soaking wet.

For almost an hour I watched it very close. It shook its wings every now and then, paused and was motionless for a while. Shook its body. Used its legs ingeniously to "comb" its hair. A few times it lift its rear end really high and shook it. I was utterly fascinated by this little creature taking care of itself.

After almost an hour it suddenly stood up (well you know, much higher than it had been) turned to face me and stretched its legs, displayed its wings, shook its rear end once more. It really looked like the thing was saying [i]"Look! I am ok now! Thanks!"[/i] Then it just took flight, turned away and flew to the woods.

That made me happy. And I am not embarrassed to admit that.
That is a GREAT story- good on ya'! We just started a bee hive this spring, and I am fascinated watching these little guys in action... think I will go tell em...

Jim
[quote]
On 2012-07-12 08:08, Mr. Mystoffelees wrote:
That is a GREAT story- good on ya'! We just started a bee hive this spring, and I am fascinated watching these little guys in action... think I will go tell em...

Jim
[/quote]

DITTO

How are your bees Mr. M? Have you got a honey super on yet?
Good for you!

Mr. Mystoffelees: as a beekeeper, you know, of course, that it's not "these little [i]guys[/i]"; it's "these little [b][i]gals[/i][/b]". (Unless, of course, by "in action" you mean something [b][i]much different[/i][/b] from gathering pollen for honey. ;) )
[quote]After almost an hour it suddenly stood up (well you know, much higher than it had been) [/quote]
I see, the bee was much higher...Yes, mushrooms can be edifying... :)
Or maybe its the chlorine...
And in other bee news...
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/07/11/study-finds-no-long-term-negative-cognitive-effects-from-marijuana/
No need at all to be embarrassed, mvmagic.

I often resuce birds and butterflies that come into my porch and end up struggling against the end that's all glass.

Kind of makes you feel good about life, doesn't it?
It really does. Been happy all day about it. Imagine such a small creature can make it happen.
Patience in observing nature is often rewarded. It does take time. But it reminds me of Kafka's aphoristic line, " It is not necessary that you leave the house. Remain at your table and listen. Do not even listen, only wait. Do not even wait, be wholly still and alone. The world will present itself to you for its unmasking, it can do no other, in ecstasy it will writhe at your feet."

And of course, more directly, the wonderful work(s) of Jean-Henri Fabre, whose entomological observations in his own backyard remain legendary. Photographs of his home work rooms in a book on natural history enchanted me in my salad days.
Nice Kafka quote, Woland. MV, hope you didn't take offense, I was just having fun with you. I remember my first assignment in college bio was to observe one square inch of grass for a half hour.
Absolutely not!
I picked up my wife at work and there was a bee beating upa butterfly. Jana had a fit and seperated the to and that bee went after the butterfly again. I broke up the fight and had to drive down the block with the butterfly and we sat there for ten minutes before it flew off. I don't know if bees hate butterflies or if it was just a personality clash but that was a mean bee.
You sure it was bee and not a wasp? I've had wasps chase me. Once saw a wasp so big it had landing gear.
I've rescued a few tiny bugs from drowning. They are amazingly resilient. I often dipped them out of the water with my fingertip, then used a paper towel to lift them off my finger- absorbs much of the water and is a gentle way to pick them up without causing further damage. They almost spring back to normal shape as the water is removed. To see them uncrumple, and reorganize legs and wings, work to dry themselves and then suddenly take flight, is rewarding, indeed. Drowning would be absolutely unnecessary. I think it's a great lesson for people to look CLOSER. See what kind of difference you can EASILY make for SOMEONE.
[quote]

Jim
[/quote]

I think they'll really like the story, Jim! :)
I didn't want to start a whole new thread, but I thought this might fit here. I just took this picture a minute ago of this little guy I found in my house this morning. Sorry the photo is not so clear. He seemed glad to pose for a couple shots, and then I let him go outside.

[img]http://themagiccompany.com/mantis.jpg[/img]
That's a praying mantis, right? Looks really cool! You know whether its a young one? I have always envisioned them to be really big.
[quote]On 2012-07-13 08:37, mvmagic wrote:
That's a praying mantis, right? Looks really cool! You know whether its a young one? I have always envisioned them to be really big.[/quote]
Yup, that's a baby praying mantis; adults can be 3" - 4" (7.5cm - 10cm) in length. Last weekend I was in Aberdeen, NC, horseback riding; there was an adult mantis on the faucet in the tackroom.
[quote]
On 2012-07-12 08:23, RJE2 wrote:
[quote]

Jim
[/quote]

DITTO

How are your bees Mr. M? Have you got a honey super on yet?
[/quote]

Thanks for asking! We went out to open the hive two weeks ago, and could not believe how it had grown! Had to remove a good bit of comb and reorganize. Added one super and will likely have to add another soon. The experts told us not to expect honey the first year, but we got about a quart and a half plus a lot of wax and the starter for mead.

Man was it fun chewing on honey-filled comb from our own hive! I find myself growing very close and protective of these little bees... no wonder I liked Mv's account so much...

Jim
Yeah, definitely a baby praying mantis. I have never seen one that small before, which is why I grabbed the camera and got him to walk up on my finger.
Jim,

I know what you're saying about the attachment you get to the bees. Funny isn't it?

Both of my hives have 2 brood boxes and one has a honey super on it. The bees are drawing comb in the honey super, but no honey yet. It is also my first year, so not sure what I'll get from them this season.

You can see the electric fence I had to put up after the bear chewed on one of the hives earlier this year. The hives are on a slope and carved into the edge of a deciduous forest (I tap the maples for syrup) facing south east. I can stand and watch the girls zoom in and out of the hives for hours.
Michael,

That's the smallest praying mantis I've ever seen! His daddy would be proud to see him if he still had a head :eek:
Laurie-

Yes, it is not always good news so it was fun to do. The term is from an old tradition...

http://www.poetry-archive.com/w/telling_the_bees.html

S2000-

Yup- A while back I was teaching a group of young women and using the term "you guys..." I suddenly wondered if they thought that odd and asked. They said "guys" was pretty generic these days and they used it among themselves all the time. But it was likely a "little gal"...

Jim
[quote]On 2012-07-13 09:47, RJE2 wrote:
Michael,

That's the smallest praying mantis I've ever seen![/quote]
A few years ago we bought praying mantises to help control the insects in our garden. We had some babies that were only about ¼" (½cm) long. They were quite cute!
Yeah, that is small. This little guy is about an inch long.
Never seen a praying mantis in person. We don't have them on our side of the globe. Well, at least we have Animal Planet on cable.
Praying mantis is a great bug. Just watching them is fun.
Coming to Nevada in a few weeks, gotta try to find one!
[quote]
On 2012-07-13 12:41, MagicSanta wrote:
Praying mantis is a great bug. Just watching them is fun.
[/quote]

Watching them watching us is cool! Even this little guy would turn his head and follow the movements I was making.
Thanks, Jim! :)
Praying manti here are decent sized, as far as bugs in the area go. I think the biggest bug I've seen around here was a pine beatle though.
Now I have my mind set on seeing a praying mantis in person!

As for bees, talked with my mother-in-law today and their neighbor ranch has beehives and we're getting some honey from them! Never had other honey than store-bought, so looking forward to that!
[quote]On 2012-07-13 13:49, critter wrote:
. . . a pine be[b][i]a[/i][/b]tle . . . .[/quote]
Did you, perchance, read [i]magicalaurie[/i]'s John Lennnon thread just before posting this?

;)