(Close Window)
Topic: Classes You Would Like to Take
In a parallel thread, MagicSanta started a discussion on starting in a new direction, or "reinventing" one's self. My question:

If you could go back to school, what courses would you like to take? They don't have to be related to anything - just something you are interested in learning about.

I have always wanted to take theater classes in stagecraft and lighting.
Believe it or not, the one thing I always wanted to take a course in is chaos theory.
Art classes. I would love tol be able to make stuff like Higley and paint. I am facinated by carvers and all that.
Japanese
Product design and languages.
Funny you should mention it...I'm strongly considering pursuing an M.A. in English and/or an M.F.A. in Creative Writing.
Algebraic topology; knot theory.
Piano, Guitar, welding, clay.
[quote]
On 2012-07-16 22:08, critter wrote:
Japanese
[/quote]

I would study linguistics and take up as many languages as I could. I'd start with Mandarin, but I'm also interested in Japanese and Korean.
I'd want to take a bunch of computer science courses.

I know the very fundamental stuff reasonably well -- the stuff that looks more like math than computer science. And I know user-facing stuff reasonably well. But I don't know the stuff in the middle. For example, I often hear programmers express a preference for one compiler over another even in the same programming language. That's not a difference I can really appreciate. Or I can't really appreciate the difference between what goes on inside an Intel processor vs. an AMD processor.

Separately, I'd love to take some foreign languages, starting with Italian. An Italian friend once remarked that English is way better to learn, because with English you can get by in a lot more places in the world. I responded that I wouldn't want to go many places outside of Italy. :)
I want to finish my Master's in Botany, and Archaeology.
Don't think I'll ever do it.
My wife is working on her Master's in Psych through an online program.
She's the smart one, top 2% at CU in 2008
She wants to work with Kids and Art
she's a true artist
[quote]
On 2012-07-17 00:06, LobowolfXXX wrote:
I'm strongly considering pursuing an M.A. in English....
[/quote]

Do it here in Göttingen! The beer's on me.

Of course, you'll get NO SPECIAL TREATMENT other than free beer.

Unless you give me chess lessons.

I have my price. :)
Classical singing. I took lessons for years and now I'd like to get back to it, more seriously. Guess you don't teach that Jeff?
[quote]I'd start with Mandarin, but I'm also interested in Japanese and Korean.[/quote]

This is a good plan. ~50% of the Korean vocabulary is Chinese loan-words, and the grammar (originally a Turkic language) was heavily influenced by Japanese.
[quote]
On 2012-07-17 01:26, stoneunhinged wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-07-16 22:08, critter wrote:
Japanese
[/quote]

I would study linguistics and take up as many languages as I could. I'd start with Mandarin, but I'm also interested in Japanese and Korean.
[/quote]

Yeah, there are actually quite a few languages I've dabbled in but would like to get better at. Wish I'd started younger.
I'd also love to know Thai, Mandarin and Cantonese, Norwegian, Icelandic, Swedish, Brazilian Portugeuse, Arabic, Latin, Greek, Gaelic, Russian, and Ukranian. Just off the top of my head.
I'd also like to be better at German. After a year of study getting A's, I feel like I should be more competent.