(Close Window)
Topic: Thought Association Card
Steve Yachanin sent me a PM asking me if I would be interested in reviewing an effect of his, Thought Association Card. He had seen some recent reviews of mine and solicited my feedback. I did not pay for the effect, and if he brings it to market, I am not sure what the price point will be. However, let me tell you what I do know.

Two spectators are chosen who will help with a Cognitive Association Skills Test. They each are asked to freely (and silently) select a word on the test (and there are about 80 words). Each is then asked to focus on one of the letters from the word. Once they do, they are to think of a second word. Again, each is asked to focus on one of the letters and come up with a third word based on that letter. This procedure is done one last time, and each is asked to think of his or her final word selections. The mentalist writes his impressions down (this is not an allusion to the method). The spectators reveal their choices, and the card, which is sitting on the table before the revelations are made, is turned over and shown to contain two words, matching the spectators' choices.

When Steve asked me to review this effect, he wanted honest feedback, whether it was positive or negative. So, here goes.

I have not tried this effect yet, but I am eager to. I think it has potential. For those of you who sort of kinda don't like book tests because why does a spectator need to pick a word from a book, then this might be something for you. It is a word test, but the spectators start with one word from a list then freely select other words, so I think it will have the feel of a freely selected word. When the spectators start choosing other words, the performer should quietly tuck the card with all of the words into his pocket -- out of sight, out of mind.

As I was pondering this effect, I was wondering, because it uses words, would it be a good lead in for a book test. On the one hand I think it would because we are dealing with words. Logically, you can state the case, OK, we started with 80 words, now let's magnify this thing and deal with tens of thousands of words. But ... if Thought Association Card has the feeling of a free selection, then a book test might seem forced. I have a show coming up Friday for a group of Realtors, and I will likely try Steve's effect as a lead-in to a book test. I will update everyone on how it plays in the real world.

The method is quite clever and is based on an effect from Joshua Quinn, who gave Steve permission to use it with his Thought Association Card. While Steve borrows the method, I believe it must have taken considerable time to think this one through. I should say, when the spectators start thinking of the other words, Steve tells them to think of specific things that start with those letters. If he wants to clarify what those items are, he can. I don't know if it tips too much, but I prefer him to make that choice.

The only limitation I see is in selecting the right people for this effect. This is not an effect where you can pick just any person. Steve addresses this to a certain extent in his finely written manuscript (Doug Dyment would be proud of the copy editing done with it). However, he even has a way around this by harkening back to the Who Wants to be a Millionaire show and telling the spectators not to worry because they can use a life line and ask a friend.

As mentioned earlier, I don't know what the price will be when, or if, this comes to market. I do know this, I just paid $20 for a method with no routine. This comes with a routine and suggested story and has the potential to play really big.

Here are a couple of things I might do differently. Because I generally perform shows, not merely "doing tricks," I would write the answers on a slate instead of a business card. And, even though I said this does not have the feel of a book test, I might buy some sort of cool-looking, leather-bound journal and write in big letters one word per page (and not write on the backs of pages) and tell the people to just think of one of the words.

I like this. I think it has potential. I have been working on a new show for the past few months, and I am surprised at how little of the stuff I have purchased is worthy (in my eyes) of being acceptable for a full-length show. I have many good effects, but not many seemed quite right for my show. In my mind, Steve's Thought Association Card is worthy for a show. There is some risk involved, but there is the potential for a big payoff at the end.

I am one who looks for value when I make a purchase, and value does not have to mean cheap or inexpensive. Because I don't know the price of the effect, I am not sure if I can give a blanket recommendation to purchase this, but I can say this with confidence: If the price seems reasonable to you and you like how this effect appears to play out, then I recommend you buy it.

Like I said, I am going to give this a try on Friday, and I will tell you how it went.

Steve, thanks for the opportunity to review this. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Bobby
P.S. Steve had sent me a link to the ad copy for the effect, but because my Internet connection was acting up, I did not visit the site. However, the price is $15. I believe it is worth it. I have paid $15 and $20 for effects just because I was curious about the method.

So, let me revise and extend my remarks by saying: I recommend those in the United States buy this. It might be difficult anywhere else. PM Steve if you need more details on that.

Bobby
Hi All,

I'd like to thank Bobby for taking the time to review "Thought Association Card" and for his kind words. This is my first release and I am quite excited by the whole process. I know that you will be excited, too, when you try Thought Association Card and see the response you get from your audience and I hope you come back and share your experience. I've performed this hundreds of times and it has always received great reactions.

I will be happy to answer any questions you may have. I'll start by saying that nothing is written down, there's no fishing, no switches, no secret writing, and it can be performed with one or two volunteers.

If you decide to purchase Thought Association Card, you can get it here: [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url] The price is $15. You'll receive a pdf of the manuscript and the images to print the front and back of the card. I'll make every effort to send the pdf to you within 24 hours.

Regards, Steve
Steve performed this effect for us at a Ring 23 meeting last month.

It got a really good reaction.

It's clever and once you know the method you can change it a bit to suit your own situation.
Hi All,

I've been asked about using this ONLY with U.S. volunteers. The nature of the routine requires the volunteers have some knowledge of american culture that most non-U.S. citizens would probably not know. The information can be googled during the performance if necessary, but you may think that detracts from the effect too much and decide to pass on Thought Association Card. I suppose, however, some might see that as an even stronger effect in the sense that your volunteers are thinking of words that they didn't know before they volunteered!

I would also like to mention that you can have the image of the card on your iPhone or Android in case you don't want to carry the card in your wallet. If you have some "note" app as well, you could write your impressions on that instead of your business card.

Regards, Steve
Steve,

Here is my latest thought. I do not have enough time to get this done before my show on Friday (July 20), however, I was thinking of getting two smaller journals (leather or leather-looking), black or brown, and having 40 different words in each one. Have the spectators decide which ones they want, look to see they are different words in each one, and then perform.

Like the Outlaw stuff, imagined if these two books were aged and were remnants from some of the earliest cognitive tests in '30s or '40s, something like that. Any way, mind is just running. I keep coming back to this idea of journals.

I hope I do Thought Association Card justice tomorrow night.

Bobby
Hi Bobby,

I think aged journals or aged spiral notebooks would be great for a stage presentation. I'm sure you'll blow some minds tomorrow. Good luck!

Regards, Steve
Steve,

Sorry to keep returning to this, but here is another thought (this one for cardstock/paper)

Perhaps give them clipboards/mini-clipboards with the word choices printed on top and then have lines printed underneath where they would write in their freely thought of words leading up to the final cognitive association.

Because I don't generally perform close-up, I am thinking of the two spectators standing a few feet behind the performer, one on each side. This way, you will be able to give the clear instructions to form other word associations, and having the new words in front of them might be easier to make those other associations. Then have them circle their final, random, freely thought of association.

Just thinking out loud here.

Bobby
Hi Bobby,

That would help ensure they don't forget their words or letters, but I'd prefer they didn't write anything to eliminate any possibility of someone thinking "he must have seen what they wrote."

Regards, Steve
This is a great idea, effect, and routine. I really like it. Plays big or small. Impromptu and simple to do.

Nice.

John
Hi John,

Thanks, and you are correct that it does play big or small. I have performed this for just two people, small groups, and for large audiences (I use a whiteboard to write down my impressions).

Regards, Steve
I know this has not be available for very long, but has anyone taken it out on the road for a drive? How did it go?

Regards, Steve
Steve,

Tried it out a small gathering the other evening. Got a really good reaction.

Mike
Hi Mike,

I happy that it went so well... thanks for sharing.

Regards, Steve
Steve,

I have been posting about this effect in other areas of The Magic Café because I really do like this effect. However, I realized I never gave an update about my performance right here, as I said I would in an earlier post in this thread.

I did perform it in my show. I was not fully prepared to perform this, but I did so anyway. Despite my unpreparedness, it worked like a charm and got a very strong reaction.

Above, you recommended not having anyone write anything down, and I think this is what led to a very strong reaction. I attribute that reaction to your effect because my presentation was not great. I did use it as a lead-in to a book test.

As with many mentalism effects, there is some risk involved. I think the way you have structured this effect, that risk is minimal. Because you have two spectators, I cannot imagine the performer will have two misses.

While there is marginally some risk involved, I think that is why the payoff is so great. If we could see how this plays out from a spectator's point-of-view, this effect is nothing short of amazing, just like Richard Osterlind's Radar Deck. There is no way the performer should be able to know what the people are thinking, but s/he does.

It is true the performer takes the helpers down a guided, Cognitive Association Skills Test, but they are choosing their own words. Because it involves them choosing words freely, this plays big.

As noted above, I have been talking about this in several places here on the Café, and I might sound like a Johnny-One-Note or paid shill (which I am not), but if you could have seen the reaction this got before a group of Realtors, it was incredible. For those of you who perform this, you might just get labeled as being "freaky and scary" like me.

Again, Steve, thank you so much for this effect.

Bobby
Hi Bobby,

Thank you for taking the time to post your wonderful review here as well. I'm so happy that Thought Association Card has been received with such enthusiasm and that those who've performed it have had the same great reactions with their volunteers as I have had with mine :)

Regards, Steve
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 3, 2012 01:23AM)
Yachanin (Steve)

I have solved the opening bit in the event a person can't think of what to say. LOL

It flows so smooth and never misses a beat in the action.

I will Pm you later today about it. It is now 100% user friendly.

Ray
I'm intrigued by this.

Language has been mentioned.

As an Englishman living in Holland, I perform mostly in English to Dutch audiences.
is this likely to be a problem?

Thanks
steve
[quote]
On 2012-08-03 03:03, steveline wrote:
I'm intrigued by this.

As an Englishman living in Holland, I perform mostly in English to Dutch audiences.

Thanks
steve
[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing.
If it depends on culture, rather than on language, then I have to give this one up.

Rock
Hi steveline and rockbrunnen,

PM'd you.

Regards, Steve
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 3, 2012 02:48PM)
[quote]
On 2012-08-03 03:35, rockbrunnen wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-08-03 03:03, steveline wrote:
I'm intrigued by this.

Thanks
steve
[/quote]

I was wondering the same thing.
If it depends on culture, rather than on language, then I have to give this one up.

Rock
[/quote]

Hi Rock,

Where do you live?

Best
Ray
TAC rocks! I love pocket mentalism that I can use on the fly and this meets my high expectations.

PS: I purchased this effect for my arsenal and gave it a trial run about 10 minutes after download and print job.

PSS: I was already familiar with Thought Chunnel. I think this raises the bar.

PSSS: I plan on a little lamination and this goes and stays in my top pocket.

Decomposed Into Cognitive Thought
I have been thinking this may work on stage as well. Have all the words posted on a board or sign and use it on the entire audience.
[quote]
On 2012-08-06 23:20, Decomposed wrote:
I have been thinking this may work on stage as well. Have all the words posted on a board or sign and use it on the entire audience.
[/quote]
Nice idea, but even the cards would work. As Richard Osterlind says, People are your props.

Bobby
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 7, 2012 03:14AM)
[quote]
On 2012-08-06 23:20, Decomposed wrote:
[/quote]

Already been thinking about this for the stage.

Not good to use for entire audience IMHO.

I think that I have come up with a very good dynamic presentation for the stage! LOL.

I will tell yachanin about my stage idea first and see what he thinks since he started this! LOL

Ray
Hi All,

Ray sent me a PM detailing his idea. I think it's a great presentation for the stage! Here it is:

"Here is what it should look like to the audience:

Invite one person on stage and show a LARGE board or pad with 80 words printed on it. You tell everyone that you will try and step into the person's mind and pick out a word that they are only thinking of.

But first you need to create the energy between this person (women) and yourself. You ask them to sit in a chair and you then guide them through a brief breathing exercise. You are also sitting in a chair facing them and holding both of their hands thus making a connection of energy. You instruct them to slow down their breathing and to look you in the eyes.

You have them breath in for the count of 5 and hold it for the same count. Then exhale for a count of 5. You continue to do this along with her. You do this about 3-4 times then tell her to close her eyes and ask her to continue breathing like this as you start giving suggestions on how relaxed she is becoming and that she may become slightly lightheaded because she is focusing her energy and opening herself to the cosmos.

After about a minute and a half, tell her that she can now breath normal and when she is ready she can open her eyes. Once she opens her eyes, you let go of her hands and walk to the board of words. Ask her to look at the words - there are so many of them - look at the words, but don't try to really read them. Let the words float off the page and swirl around in the air.

You say, 'do you see the words swirling and floating?' (she is still light-headed from the breathing and in a slight trace-like mood)

You ask her to close her eyes and she does. You tell her when you ask her to open her eyes, she is to look at the board and select a word from the board. You wait for the count of 7......... Then ask her to open her eyes and select a word.

(you do not ASK her if she has done this, you are a mind reader, you should know!) you say, 'yes, that's right. You did fine, hold that word in your mind and do not speak the word out loud.'

You ask her to spell the word in her mind over and over........ (you begin the Thought Association Card procedure at this point).

Once you have her think of the final word, ask her to CLOSE her eyes once again and to concentrate on this NEW word. You then walk to your table and remove a small dry eraser board with a marker. Standing behind the person you close your eyes and concentrate (drama) then as if a thought has entered your mind, you write a word on the dry easer board.

You turn your board around so that EVERYONE can see the word that you have just written and hold the board above her head so that your written word is visible! With the person's eyes still closed, you ask her,'In a very loud and clear voice, I want you to tell everyone here the word that you are THINKING of.' With her eyes closed, she names her thought of word and it matches the prediction that you are holding right above her head!

She opens her eyes and sees your word. Here you just go with the flow for the moment and milk it. She is asked to return to her seat as the audience gives her a deserved round of applause. Once the applause has died down...... You stand at the footlights and place your hand to your forehead........... Pause.......... 'I still feel the energy and connection from ____________ (women's name).' Looking around you notice someone in the audience and tell them to stand. 'Sir, please tell everyone your name' he does.......... 'Mr. ___________ before the show, I asked you to think of a word and NOT tell anyone. Have you told anyone? ....... Great! .... There is NO WAY that I would know the word that you are ONLY THINKING of, isn't that correct?' ..........Slap your hands together and rub them together. You do this a few times creating tension.

'Think of YOUR word. .......... See it..... Feel it......When I count to three, I want you to SHOUT it out loud IN YOUR mind, not with your voice, with YOUR MIND! ....... In your mind shout YOUR word as loud as you can!!!!!! .... ONE....TWO.... THREE! ..SHOUT IT NOW! .......... ....... No, not loud enough....... One more time.... SHOUT it NOW! .............. '

Pause for a slow count of 7 with your eyes closed.......... Then in one motion, open your eyes and snap your head toward the person. ....... You then name their word.......

Anyway that is one way of doing this..... I still use two people... only I use two people at different times to get the words that I need."

Ray, that is just terrific. I can see this playing very well on stage. Thanks for sharing this with everyone :)

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

I'm very close to finishing a revised manuscript of "Thought Association Card". It will contain versions for use in Canada and in the UK. It will also have a "gender-friendly" version that can be used in Canada, the UK, and the U.S. If all goes well, it should be ready by the end of next week!

Regards, Steve
Steve very kindly let me have a look at this, and it's to my shame that up until today I've only had time to give it a quick skimming.

It's great that Steve is still working on this, making versions more suitable to those outside the U.S.

With a bit of time and thought it should be able to perform a version of this in any language, but now Steve is working on more versions it makes it even more of a good thing to buy.
Some of the ideas in this thread are just great, and what the Café is all about.
Any effect of this calibre desrves looking at closely. And as it's adaptable to a multitude of performing styles and situations, it's a no-bainer as I think they say over the pond.

I'm going to be working on a Dutch version as soon as I get chance.

Regards
steve
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the kind words. Please let me know how your Dutch version goes :)

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

Just a quick line to let you know that the revised [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url] will be available later this evening (around 9:00pm EST). It will have versions suitable for use with Canadian and UK volunteers and a more "gender-friendly" version as well.

Regards, Steve
[b]Name:[/b] Thought Association Card - Stephen Yachanin

[b]Available from:[/b] http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html

[b]Price:[/b] $15

[b]Maker:[/b] Stephen Yachanin

[b]Examinable:[/b] Yes, up to a point. The spectator can handle the card freely, but as with many props in mentalism you wouldn't give anyone the opportunity to study it in depth, particularly after the effect.

[b]Difficulty:[/b] 3/10

[b]Out of 10:[/b] 8/10

[img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome_files/shapeimage_1.png[/img]
[b]The Blurb:[/b]
[quote]Two volunteers are handed a card containing 80 words (no repeats). Each volunteer is asked to mentally select a word (free choice). The volunteers mentally spell their words as you attempt to sense any reactions they have to the letters. Silently focusing on one of the letters, each volunteer is asked to think of a new word beginning with that letter. This process is repeated two more times, making it impossible for anyone to have any idea of the final words in the minds of the volunteers.

You ask the volunteers to concentrate on their final word selections as you write your impressions on the back of your business card. Only after you have placed the business card on the table do you instruct the volunteers to announce the words they have in their minds and have one of them turn over the business card. The words on the business card match the volunteers’ words!

• Nothing written down
• No fishing
• No switches
• No secret writing
• One or two volunteers
• Fits in your wallet[/quote]

[b]Comments: [/b]
Previously, due to certain methodological restrictions, this effect was only available to the US. However, after a lot of work by Stephen, the UK-friendly version will soon be released. I was one of a few people lucky enough to get a sneak preview of the manuscript and helped Stephen 'road test' the effect on British audiences. So, in the interests of 'disclosure' I must state I didn't pay for this effect.

However, it plays just as cleanly as it reads in the blurb above and leaves people gobsmacked. The manuscript also teaches techniques that have changed the way I approach all word revelations - yes, the methods in this manuscript can be adapted to any effect in your arsenal that includes a word reveal. Is that worth $15? I rather think so!

So, what do you get? You get a PDF of well-written and thorough instructions, containing print templates for two different versions of the wallet card. The card itself, as the ad copy states, has 80 words printed on it - but you do not simply reveal which one of these your participants are thinking of, oh no, you do something much more impressive. Starting with any of these words, you can take two volunteers (or one if you prefer) on a guided exercise in 'thought association'. Only the starting word appears on the card, the rest are arrived at through apparently fair and free choices. Nothing is written down and yet you are still able to reveal the words in their minds at the end. Oh and I should make it clear that each of the two participants arrives at a different word by the end of the experiment. There are no "T.O.D."-style "sit down if you heard your word" ambiguities here. The effect is direct, absurdly clean and in my opinion looks pretty close to 'the real deal'.

I've performed this for individuals, couples and once to a small group in a 'parlour' setting and it consistently hits people squarely between the eyes. For the purists among us, there is no 'visible compromise', the words you reveal exist only in the participants' minds. There is apparently no possible way you could know what they are thinking and yet without fishing, writing or other shenanigans, you can reveal the contents of their minds.

Several of these 'wallet card' type effects (Kioku, Dreamweaver and others) use a b*n*** system, which requires some memorisation, but 'Thought Association' applies another method entirely, one that originates in a book by Joshua Quinn and has been developed and refined by Stephen Yachanin. There is a little memory work required for this effect but it is absolutely minimal, no more than the usual effort required to remember a script.

So for $15 and very little effort, you gain the ability to baffle audiences with something that appears completely fair and deeply mystifying. I've had some great reactions to this - it's impossible to backtrack and leaves both the participants and observers amazed. Also, as stated above, I now find myself applying the thinking in this effect to book tests and other word effects to create double revelations, where I can not only reveal the 'association' word they finally land on, but also the word the started with originally - very strong stuff!

In summary: I'm usually pretty wary of single-effect PDFs, but this is one I can recommend whole-heartedly. Strong mentalism at a very reasonable price.
Hi All,

The newly revised [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url] is now available with Canadian, UK, and "gender-friendly" versions included.

All those who have previously purchased "Thought Association Card" have been sent the revised manuscript.

Regards, Steve
Hi MatCult,

Thank you for the very kind words and for all the time you took to "road test" this for the UK versions. The UK and Canadian versions would not have been possible without the help of friends "across the pond" and "up north". :)

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

robwar0100 made a comment in another thread and it gave me an idea for those who purchased the manuscript, but have not yet read it: the purchaser should play the part of a volunteer, begin reading the patter and follow along as a volunteer. When they reach the point in the routine where they are to choose a word, they could choose a word from the appropriate word list and then continue with the patter from the appropriate region (Canada or UK). It wouldn't be exactly the same as being an actual volunteer, but might give them an idea (sort of)

If anyone tries this, PM me and let me know how it went. Thanks.

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

I'm sending out one final revision of [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url]. Everyone who has purchased it should receive it by the end of the day. Please let me know if you do not.

The revision contains an alternative handling for the "Gender-Friendly" version. I call it "Sincoff's Gambit" and, depending on your performance style, will play out very well... some may prefer it to the original handling.

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

I've received a number of excellent ideas from several of you and have begun putting together a supplement for [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url]. The supplement will appear as an appendix in the manuscript and will be sent to all purchasers when it is completed. So... if you've come up with some variations, twists, subtleties, and etc. that you would like to share with other TAC owners, send them my way when you get the opportunity.

Thank you for supporting TAC :)

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

I'm just starting to send out the revised manuscript of [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url]. It includes the "supplement" (in the Appendix) and I think you're really going to like this :)

Thanks, again, to all the contributors...

Regards, Steve
Thanks Steve, I received the updates today. Not had chance to read through yet.

Great customer services for an already mind blowing routine.

Chris
Hi Chris,

I think you're really going to like some of the ideas in the supplement. Let us know if you give any of them a try and how they played out for you.

Regards, Steve
I have two points to make:
This is clever.And the additions make it workable for probably most English speaking countries. I will carry it in my wallet.

But - it is a pity the only credit is given to Quinn. Clearly, the idea goes back to Grey Elephants. But this is no criticism of the author. I don't know who originated the Grey elephants idea either.
Can anyone here shed any light?
I've used the Joshua Quinn idea since I got Paralies and have always gotten a strong reaction. Thought Association Card is a natural, clever outgrowth of this idea. I really like it. I haven't tried it yet, but in working on the routining and presentation, came up with this idea that I thought I'd share.

Here's a ploy to help emphasize the fact that the spectators never writes anything down. Once each spectator has arrived at their final word, hand them each your business card and ask them to write their word on the back, but just before they start to do that, change your mind. Explain that when the original experiments were conducted, the participants wrote down their thought to document them. But that was one of the major criticisms of the study because of the potential for secretly finding out what they wrote. So, tell the spectators not to write anything down. Just keep it as their own, private thought. Take the business cards back and use them yourself to write down and reveal the words that you've just plucked from their minds.
Nice one, Mr. M.

El Mystico, you're correct, my applications were an outgrowth of Grey Elephants -- specifically, the desire to do a Grey Elephants-like effect without the initial number force. I mention this in [i]ParaLies,[/i] though I couldn't find where Grey Elephants originated either.
Hi Mr. Mindbender,

What a clever idea... thanks for sharing it :)

Hi El Mystico,

I, too, was unable to discover the originator of Grey Elephants, but I should have made mention of it nonetheless. Thank you for pointing out the omission.

Regards, Steve
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Oct 27, 2012 05:59AM)
I printed out a word list and placed it at the back of the book test called Reflection from Outlaw. Now I have four test that I can do and it adds greatly to Reflections.

Ray
Hi Ray,

I love Reflections and putting the TAC list in the back is a great idea!

Regards, Steve
Hey guys, I'm looking for some help with part of this effect and if you can prove you've purchased it and want to talk shop send me a PM. And if you haven't purchased it yet, do so you won't regret it. Not only is the effect awesome but Steve is a stand up guy.
[quote]
On 2012-10-27 01:50, yachanin wrote:
Hi El Mystico,

I, too, was unable to discover the originator of Grey Elephants, but I should have made mention of it nonetheless. Thank you for pointing out the omission.
[/quote]

I may be completely wrong on this, but didn't Max Maven create Grey Elephants?

- Bob
Tempted by the great reviews, purchased
This is a great addition to the 'almost real' category of mind reading. There are some fantastic ideas, not only in the main book but in the supplement as well. I'm already looking forward to the next update, which I'm sure will be here soon.

Tony
I posted this in the Patrick Redford's Hexagon thread, but thought as it had some relevance to the Thought Association Card, I'd copy and paste it over here as well.

"I have just finished this. I recall a month or two back that there was a thread discussing effects to do with time or watches...something like that.

Patrick dropped in on that thread and teased us with Hexagon. Being familiar with Patrick's thinking, I stopped looking for other effects and sat patiently waiting for this. He did not mislead. There are almost too many options to choose from.

This publication has already been thoroughly reviewed, so apart from taking a moment to echo the sentiment that Time Turner is fine thinking, I won't rehash what has been said already.

What I will say is that if you own Stephen Yachanin's Thought Association Card, you should buy this for Ring, Watch, Wallet. Then figure out how to blend the two. I am not going to say any more than that - I think what I've stumbled upon is too strong....but I will point you in the right direction.

Overall, this is a good buy.

I also enjoyed Colin and Ken's cameos. I like it when there are inside references and a sense of community.

So, a big thanks to Patrick for his great thinking!"

Best,

Atlas
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Nov 29, 2012 01:46PM)
Atlas,
Nice idea!

This idea will work with other routines that are done over the phone. I don't have Patrick's routine but I do a routine that calls for three items.

Great idea!

Best
Ray
Ray,

I am glad you like it! I think the two approaches lend themselves to great interaction.

Best,

Atlas
Hi All,

I'm nearly finished with the preparations of a second supplement to [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url] and hope to send it out by the end of the week. It contains some great new subtleties, ideas, and routines contributed by the following:

Atlas Brookings
Adam Flemming
Mike Draganic
Bill Fritz
Laurence Hookway
Mr. Houdini
Laurence Morland
Ray Noble
Joshua Quinn
Vince Smith
John Taylor
Bobby Warren
Stephen Young
“Anonymous”

As an extra bonus in the supplement, Atlas Brookings has created a special TAC-based routine within his "The Real Thing" book test that is EXCLUSIVE to those who have "Thought Association Card." I'm very excited about this and I think TAC users will be as well. If you haven't read about "The Real Thing," check out the following: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=500696&forum=303

Regards, Steve
*mouth waters in anticipation*

It's the gift that keeps on giving!
I have this now for about two weeks, I printed two cards and one special card for the f*****G a word. Fits very nicely in my SAW and I had a chance to fully test it at a fundraiser this past Sunday night. I got some seriously insane reactions!
Shame on me.

Late last year I won a copy of this and which Stephen kindly sent me. Despite my best intentions, things have got in the way and I have only just got round to reading what Stephen sent.

What a fantastic idea and, being based in the UK, I was pleased to see the many suggestions given for its application over here.

I shall enjoy putting this into use :)

Neil
Yes, the newer versions are a great improvement on the original. I prefer using the gender friendly myself.
Hi Neil,

I know exactly what you mean... I have my "must read" stack and it grows faster than I can get through it :)

Hi aligator,

Many people I speak with prefer the gender friendly version as well... I tend to use that version more often than not myself (It does, however, depend on my audience) :)

Regards, Steve
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 5, 2013 06:33PM)
This should be GOOD! I really like doing TAC.

Ray
I know that I've said it elsewhere, but I will say it again - I am indebted to Steve for allowing me to use TAC in the 'Real Thing' book test. The portion of the book test that is down to my own thinking is great, but the addition of the gender-friendly system from Steve's TAC greatly compliments this system and creates a routine that trancends its component parts. Steve didn't have to share, but he did and I can't express my appreciation thoroughly enough.

So what does this book test allow you to do? Well, as I indicated above, there are two portions to it that draw from different methods. One section relies on the "Thought Association Card" method (which those of you celebrating the release of another supplement will be familiar with), and the other section relies on the "Real Thing" method. Anyone familiar with Steve's work will know what his section allows you to do, and what you can do with the "Real Thing" section is described below:

"Imagine being able to have someone choose a word from a book, close the book and set it aside, and then change their word to any other word they can think of (and I'm not talking about a different word from the book, or a word from a category, but ANY other word they can think of) - only to have the performer subsequently reveal their new word with NO fishing!"

You can use anywhere from one to four different participants with this book test and reveal a different thought for each, climaxing in the revelation that is based on the "Real Thing" technique.

And, for anyone who has not yet purchased TAC, it is a great value for money, inexpensive, portable and fairly impromptu. Why don't you own this?? And if you are still skeptical, dig up the 'Best of the Year' thread in Penny and count how many times Steve is mentioned.

It is a winner. I promise.

Best,

Atlas
Hi All,

I don't want this to sound like a mutual admiration society, but I have to say that it's been a real pleasure working with Atlas. From his first contact with me, Atlas demonstrated he was a man of integrity with a very creative mind (and just downright friendly). I had no second thoughts about agreeing to his proposal when I heard what he wanted to do and I think that those who have "The Real Thing" Book Test know why (he even re-worked his book so that he could provide an exclusive routine for TAC users!). By combining the two methods, Atlas has created a devastating routine to fry the minds of your volunteers.

I wish all the best to come his way.

Regards, Steve
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 8, 2013 04:14AM)
I am looking forward to reading what others have come up with using TAC. The book test sounds really cool and is on my to get list!

I have only use the original TAC list and will just go straight into plan B if I need to.

I am trying to use my pendulum in this and have a couple of ideas that I am working on.

Best
Ray
Hi Ray,

I know those who perform stage or parlor are going to love your contributions to the supplement. I can't wait, especially, to hear some feedback on "Scrawl" :)

Regards, Steve
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 9, 2013 07:25AM)
[quote]
On 2013-03-08 17:35, yachanin wrote:
Hi Ray,

I know those who perform stage or parlor are going to love your contributions to the supplement. I can't wait, especially, to hear some feedback on "Scrawl" :)

Regards, Steve
[/quote]

Hi Steve,
It will be fun to hear what others have to say about the stage/platform routines. TAC seems to be taking on a life of it's own with all the ideas, bits and routines that people keep thinking of. TAC has added so much to my close up mentalism.

Best
Ray
T A C
The effect that keeps on giving.

What are we on now.... Supplement 2?
And there's more to come I'll wager.

Anyone who doesn't have this by now should grab it with both hands.

Steve
I just received the latest addendum to TAC and I want to congratulate Steve for another job well done.

With so many new ideas it speaks volumes for the versatility of the effect.

I can only imagine the time and effort it takes Steve to compile all this stuff. His dedication and ongoing support for TAC by periodically releasing these addendum's is to be applauded.

Regards,

Laurence.
Hi All,

The second supplement to [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url] is completed and I've just finished sending the manuscript out to everyone. If you haven't received it yet, please look in your "junk" or "spam" folder (this has happened a number of times before). The file is a little over 3MB, so if your email provider has a limit on attachments and it didn't come through, let me know and I can send a PDF of just the second supplement.

I would like to again thank all the contributors to the second supplement and to all the TAC performers who have shown so much support and have shared their experiences with me. I know you'll enjoy the ideas and presentations in the second supplement and will likely incorporate several of them in your presentations.

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

I received an email from an individual indicating the attachment didn't arrive. Please contact me if you encountered this so that I can try again :)

Regards, Steve
Well, I received the supplement and have read through it. I am flatly impressed. Each contribution to this was useful and I am impressed by the thinking, every bit of which is workable.

Whoever that anonymous contributor was - I like what you came up with very much! Both from the front design of the card, to the method by which the number is chosen, that is some fine thinking!

Laurence Morland, GREAT idea! I love the introduction of the business card here, it is such a simple idea but will guarantee that the card is kept and looked at.

Joshua Quinn, fantastic substitution there - I plan on using it, and I think this sort of thing serves to demonstrate that this can easily become a 'jazz' type of performance where improvisation is a byword.

Stephen Young, I will never - NEVER - let you show me anything when we finally shake hands. I don't feel safe.

A short paragraph from John Taylor contains incredible potential. The means of getting them to come up with the word on their own is both subtle and crafty.

Mike Draganic's ploy is as clean as you can get and makes for a great anytime, anywhere, ungimmicked book test! This is another one that I will use.

Laurence Hookway. Sickening. I ran this one successfully all day today. It is just so implausible that it is sickening. HOW could THAT possibly work?!? And how could anyone think of that! This was just plain amazing - that's all I am going to say.

And, of course, Ray Noble's work sparkles (I know him a little bit, and I suspected it would). I personally loved 'The Stream of Thought'.

This is a fantastic supplement, worthy of a lot of attention, and I look forward to seeing what other ideas come from Steve's TAC!

Best,

Atlas
Don't worry Atlas, I'm perfectly safe, well now that they've taken all my pointy pencils away.

A great big thank you to Steve and all who contributed to TAC
This is one of the great things to have come out last year and it's still evolving

I already have something ready to go into supplement three.

steve
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 12, 2013 07:37AM)
[quote]
On 2013-03-12 07:09, Stephen Young wrote: (IN PART)

I already have something ready to go into supplement three.

steve
[/quote]

I know what you mean! I already have three ideas kicking around in my head that I am really starting to like. Will this thing EVER end? LOL

Best
Ray
$15 is a bargain for an effect that has sent ever-expanding ripples of creativity through the community.
Hi MatCult,

You've touched on the most gratifying aspect of this whole experience for me... that this little card has stimulated so many wonderful ideas by so many creative people, and It has been my pleasure getting to know them better.

Atlas is dead-on with his descriptions of the contributions for the second supplement (but too modest to mention his own wonderful contribution... his "crossover" with TAC and his own "The Real Thing" Book Test is just too cool). I have Anonymous' card front on my "gender-friendly" version in my wallet and it works like a charm, and, yes, Laurence Hookway's idea is nearly unbelievable that it works (I'm thinking about presenting it with an "Illuminati" background story).

I'm very interested to hear what other TAC performers think of the second supplement and hope they will add their comments to the discussion.

If Stephen Young's idea is any indication of other ideas that get sent in for a third supplement, we're ALL in for a treat!

Regards, Steve
Many thanks to Steve and everyone else included in this supplement. TAC was great anyway, and now it's even better! In particular, Ray Noble's section has some thought-provoking presentational ideas that could also be applied to other routines.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Mar 12, 2013 03:21PM)
[quote]
On 2013-03-12 15:55, Dr Weevil wrote:
Many thanks to Steve and everyone else included in this supplement. TAC was great anyway, and now it's even better! In particular, Ray Noble's section has some thought-provoking presentational ideas that could also be applied to other routines.
[/quote]

Dr Weevil,
I am glad that you liked my presentations. They are FUN to do also!

Best
Ray Noble
Hi Dr. Weevil,

I'm so glad you are enjoying the second supplement. Ray never ceases to amaze me with the ideas that are just "kicking around [his] head." :)

Regards, Steve
Well, having put some of this new material to the test over the last few days, I have to reiterate how impressed I am with it. I saw on another thread that someone had purchased the Thought Association Card and wasn't sure if they would use it - this was after a quick glance at the method.

My advice to any new purchaser is that this effort is unique in the fact that as you read the TAC text from beginning to end, you can see an evolution of the process, adding tremendous versatility and scope for adaptation.

So, if you don't love it from the start, that is fine - keep reading and you will see how some clever clog tweaked what was happening (which is easy to do) and you will find something that fits your style and mode of thinking.

I think this is such a big part of why so many people love this.

Best,

Atlas
I have a whole bunch of ideas for this that I intended to get to Steve for the supplement but didn't get them typed up in time. I still have to read the supplement as others may have already had some of those ideas. If not I will get them typed up in time for the next supplement. For $15 you don't just get an effect you get a world of possibilities.

Mark
Hi Atlas,

Watching TAC evolve as individuals have contributed their ideas has been the most fun for me. I could never have imagined...

Hi Mark,

I'll keep an eye out for your ideas. I've already received several others and it's always exciting to see what comes in next :)

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

I wanted to share the review of "Thought Association Card" from Jheff at "Marketplace of the Mind" and to thank him for taking the time to share his thoughts.

http://www.marketplaceofthemind.com/thouasso.html

I hope all the TAC performers out there are having a blast frying some minds :)

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

I posted this in the Latest and Greatest section, but thought it should be posted here as well:

If you use the UK version of TAC and think that offering an ordinary looking wordsearch puzzle book is a great way to have your volunteers choose their words, I strongly encourage you to pick this up at lulu.com ( http://tinyurl.com/c4xq9rh ). The book was created by Andy Fisher. Check out his thread in Inner Thoughts for the full story behind its creation: http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=510677&forum=82&2

With a little thought on your part, you should be able to adapt it for use in other places as well.

Great job, Andy!

Regards, Steve
Thanks Steve - it was a pleasure working on the project and I have already enjoyed some really strong reactions from using the wordsearch book. I now have £10 from sales ready to give to the charity we decide upon :)
I'm sure I've seen a youtube clip of this but for the life of me cant find it now.
Hi storm01,

You're correct. Here's the link to the youtube clip: http://youtu.be/w4xaFFf9lH0

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

I received a PM that the link may not work for everyone, so here's an alternative link just in case: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w4xaFFf9lH0&feature=youtu.be

Regards, Steve
Thanks Steve

I received TAC within 24hrs of the order. Great service thanks again

Kev
Just ordered the Wordsearch book, looking forward to it!

I like TAC a lot
Hi Kev,

I'll be looking forward to hearing about some of your experiences performing TAC :)

Hi Adam,

Thanks. I think you'll really appreciate the "authenticity" of the book when you look at it. Andy even included "the winner" of the previous contest at the front of the book! I hope you'll give us your thoughts when it arrives...

Regards, Steve
Definitely Steve, I have a pile of the Words (David Stone) wordsearch books so I will be able to get TAC in somewhere else!

It's on my list to review but the reason I haven't is that I feel like it's very much still alive and it's growing, I have recently taken the real thing approach into it as well and am joining that book up into routines
I'm sorry if this is a silly question, I am a newbie and trying to learn. Would this effect be appropriate for a (semi-serious) beginner? I am more of a hobbyist that performs for my students, and I am really blown away by what I read about the TAC.
[quote]
On 2013-06-08 09:16, greerj wrote:
I'm sorry if this is a silly question, I am a newbie and trying to learn. Would this effect be appropriate for a (semi-serious) beginner? I am more of a hobbyist that performs for my students, and I am really blown away by what I read about the TAC.
[/quote]

Everything you need to perform is included method wise and I think it is all solid, if you put the effort in to it, this could be something that you could develop along with you

the experience needed would probably be in confidence and conviction, if you are sure about yourself when presenting this I don't think there would be anything method-wise that would put you off

the method is clean and fun, I don't think it's the kind of method that people get put off by, it's a real working method
I second Adam's comments.

The TAC has something for everyone....from novice to working pro.
My problem is that I am lost in all the updates, new methods, etc.

Is the original way of doing this still the best method? For english speakers that is.

J
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jun 8, 2013 11:53AM)
[quote]
On 2013-06-08 10:47, John C wrote:

Is the original way of doing this still the best method? For english speakers that is.

J
[/quote]

I always use the original method and shift to plan B if I need to. This is how I preform it unless I am doing a show, then I preform one of my stage presentations. I keep the cards in my wallet.

Best
Ray
[quote]
On 2013-06-08 10:47, John C wrote:

J
[/quote]

John,

There is a lot of great material in the supplements and I think it is worth taking the time to wade through.

As far as which method is the best, I prefer the "Gender Friendly" approach as it is more broadly applicable and works well in any English speaking region and, judging from the contributions to the supplements, most others prefer this approach as well.

Best,

Atlas
Okay, great. I'll look at the gender friendly and the original.

Thanks,

J
Hi greerj,

I will echo the sentiments of Olympic Adam and mrmysticmike. You shouldn't have any problem learning the method. Once you have that down, go out and try it on some friends or family members for a bit of "real world" practice and confidence building and you'll be set to amaze your students :)

Hi John C,

The method is the same for all the versions (i.e., U.S., UK, Canada, and gender-friendly). Once you're comfortable with any one of those versions, all the variations and handlings in the supplements are much easier to follow and work through. You might (as a number of others have) even develop your own variation to suit your particular style and show.

I use the "gender-friendly" version most of the time because of the ease of including females as well as male participants.

Drop me a PM or email me if you have any questions... and that goes for anyone :)

Regards, Steve
Steve,

My wife (Anita) bought this for me yesterday and I have to say, I was blown away. After reading the pdf several times I tried it out on my teen children and they were blown away. The effect was great, and thinking through all the possibilities has made me work on presentation and patter already. This is the first effect I have bought, and I'm glad it is my first because it's great.

Many thanks,

John
Hi John,

What a very nice thing to say... thank you :). It's my honor that you chose TAC as your first effect in what I hope will be a long and exciting journey in mentalism for you.

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

I announced this in the Latest and Greatest section, but thought I'd repeat it here as well. I've finally completed a "gender-friendly" (and U.S.) version of a word search puzzle book for TAC. It's called, "Word Search Detective." Ask your volunteers to turn to any page and select any of the clue words to begin your gender-friendly TAC presentation.

If you would like to perform the U.S. version instead, I've added a backstory on the back cover (and inside first page). It explains that once all the hidden words are found in a puzzle, you can rearrange the unused letters to form a special "secret word" related to the puzzle and that the solutions to the previous issue's secret words are located on the last page of the current edition. Just have your volunteers turn to the last page and have them choose any of the sixty "secret words" (all from the U.S. list) and begin the U.S. version of TAC.

Note, the instructions for "Thought Association Card" are NOT included in the word search puzzle book.

If you would like to offer your volunteers a "realistic" prop from which they can choose their words, this is, I believe, an excellent way to do that. Here's the link on lulu.com: http://www.lulu.com/shop/stephen-yachanin/word-search-detective/paperback/product-21117673.html;jsessionid=924AB374B94D28D9FA426980D4F44580

I'd like to give Andy Fisher a big "thank you" for his encouragement and support for this project and a special "thank you" to Atlas Brookings for providing many additional words for the gender-friendly list.

Regards, Steve
Thought Association Card is phenomenal. I particularly like that it's very versatile and "customizable." You can stop the effect at any time if you don't want to go all the way to the end, you can repeat the effect and then go to the end, you can change the conditions and lead the person to something different...it's great, nearly perfect. It sits in my wallet and is ready for that "let's see a trick" moment. For those considering purchase...stop considering. The routine has been presented beautifully including a "road map" or chart to assist in the process and much more.

While certain f***es are camouflaged by the fact that the process takes place in the spectator's head, I would still like to suggest that maybe for future releases the back of the card has an entirely different path than the front of the card. I'm also reluctant to suggest the following, because the beauty of this effect is the simplicity and versatility of the card. Paul Carnazzo has a series of wallet cards that I don't particularly like because not each of the effects can withstand scrutiny, and the cards contain many potential "misses," but I would love to see this card have a few other hidden or secondary effects. Maybe the words on the card could have some significance other than the letters they use...I dunno, just brainstorming. The only reason that I'm brainstorming about how else this or these types of cards can be used is because my spectators won't give this up. They want to see more, they can't put it down. It's almost a complete act on one card. I want more! It's incredible.
Hi Robvs,

Thanks for the very kind words. The ability to have different endings is one of the aspects many TAC performers really love.

As far as changing the card front or back, one possibility you might consider is to print the "gender-friendly" version on one side and then print the U.S. (or UK or Canada, depending on your location) version on the other side. In that way, you can have two versions on one card (you would only need to observe from which side the volunteer selected the initial word) that would lead to different paths.

Regards, Steve
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Sep 10, 2013 04:36AM)
Hi Robvs,
You can customize the card anyway that you like. Have one side with the TAC words of your liking and the other side with a few other items. Such as ESP symbols, the numbers 1,2,3,4,5 in the corner for a reading, a picture of a card, or have the grid from the book 5 by Scott Cerasey http://www.lybrary.com/number-5-p-270177.html?manufacturers_id=105827

There is endless things that you could do. Are you a reader, or are you just looking for a f o r c e? Do both and have a killin card that can be kept in your Lookout card case.

Best
Ray
I don't get too heavy into reading. Clever fo*ces are more my style. I appreciate the great suggestions. I'm on Lybrary right now! I'd love to hear about other effects that people pair with this one. This is among my all-time favorites. Thank you much,

Rob
Hi Rob,

As far as what might be "paired" with TAC, you should take a look at Atlas Brooking's The Real Thing Book Test ( http://themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=500696&forum=303&22 ). His book specifically incorporates TAC (take a look at the end of the second supplement in your TAC manuscript) as part of his overall routine. It is truly quite amazing.

Regards, Steve
I usually kill with the TAC, but have had a recent batch of comments such as "but you never told me the word I initially chose" types of comments. A difficult comment to overcome during performance- rather discouraging, too.

I'm a teacher who tried this effect with a class of students (whose native language was not English). Big mistake. Spelled "Taurus" T-O-U-R... Bad idea.

I am currently brainstorming ideas for a similar effect whereby the end result is you successfully revealing the initial choice of words. I've drawn the conclusion that it must involve a smaller set of words, and a few "light misses." Rather than "choose a month or a horoscope sign," it will include a few light miss/fishing lines such as "Can you think of a month with that letter? No, how about a horoscope sign? Is that easier?" types of comments. Essentially your prompts will not only lead the individual, but narrow down which word they have chosen. Not sure how possible the idea is yet. Very difficult to develop. Any suggestions?
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Nov 28, 2013 09:05PM)
Robvs,
TAC has an effect where you are able to tell the person their chosen word.

Ray
[quote]
On 2013-11-28 22:05, Magical Dimensions wrote:
Robvs,
TAC has an effect where you are able to tell the person their chosen word.

Ray
[/quote]

Is that a fact? Where? I'm going to have to scour the document again. I remember reading it and stopping at a certain point because I was excited to get started. Gonna have to take another look.
Hi Robvs,

PM'd you :)

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

I'm nearing completion of a third supplement for [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url] and wanted to give you a "heads-up" to keep an eye on your in-boxes. Hopefully, the manuscript will be finished by the end of the week (maybe Saturday). In the mean time, allow me to tease you with a list of contributors to the third supplement:

Greg Arce
Karl Davies
Andy Fisher
Mark Piazza
Chris Moreby
Don Theo III
Stephen Young

I know some of the routines/ideas will knock your socks off!

Regards, Steve
I love TAC! I use Gender Friendly + classic method, and never failed to impress.

as for customizing it, one could simply type the words of TAC on one side of a card and another Carnazzo effect on the other side.
Don't forget "Word Search Detective".

Easy to carry booktest using the TAC method.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 6, 2014 02:46AM)
Looking forward to reading this.

Ray
Hi All,

I owe a big apology to Derek Robbins. I inadvertently omitted his name from the list of contributors to the third supplement to TAC. Sorry Derek :-(

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

I've just finished sending out the third supplement for [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url] to everyone. If you didn't received it, please check your "spam" or "junk" folder in case it was redirected there. If not, send me a PM and we'll try to figure out what happened.

I hope you'll stop back to let us know which were your favorites in the third supplement. Enjoy!

Regards, Steve
Yay, just saw mine in the mail this morning. Thanks Steve. =)
Hi Jeff,

You're welcome :) Let us know which are your favorites when you've had a chance to get through the supplement.

Regards, Steve
The Thought Association Card and the many ideas that go with it just gets better and better.

Thanks Steve.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 14, 2014 05:31AM)
I just got this and haven't had the time to read it. Looking forward to sitting down and reading it once I print it out.

Ray
Ditto!

Best,

Atlas
Hi Neil,

Thanks for the kind words. I'm amazed with what others have created :) It's been a wonderful experience!

Ray and Atlas,

As always, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the ideas in the new supplement...

Regards, Steve
[quote]
On Nov 28, 2013, Robvs wrote:
I usually kill with the TAC, but have had a recent batch of comments such as "but you never told me the word I initially chose" types of comments. A difficult comment to overcome during performance- rather discouraging, too.

[/quote]

I just got TAC a couple of weeks ago and have had similar responses regarding people asking about their "original" word. I refer back to the script I have told them about energy levels and that at the beginning in just choosing a word the energy production was not high enough for me to get more of an read than the single letter that I did. I hope that makes sense to you. Just remind them the experiment was not about the initial pick but about the overall effect they were producing.

And I have to tell you that Steve was great when I had a few questions. He responded with excellent answers and in a timely fashion. I do, indeed, have Atlas' The Real Thing and the book to use both effects and I'm really looking forward to that.

Preston
Hi Preston,

I occasionally have volunteers ask about the initial word as well and explain to them exactly what you described. It doesn't happen that often, but the explanation seems to satisfy their question.

It's always a pleasure to discuss TAC or answer questions about it. My interactions with others who perform TAC has been a lot of fun for me :-)

Regards, Steve
[quote]
On Mar 18, 2014, jaizon wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

I just got TAC a couple of weeks ago and have had similar responses regarding people asking about their "original" word. I refer back to the script I have told them about energy levels and that at the beginning in just choosing a word the energy production was not high enough for me to get more of an read than the single letter that I did. I hope that makes sense to you. Just remind them the experiment was not about the initial pick but about the overall effect they were producing.

And I have to tell you that Steve was great when I had a few questions. He responded with excellent answers and in a timely fashion. I do, indeed, have Atlas' The Real Thing and the book to use both effects and I'm really looking forward to that.

Preston
[/quote]

Hi all,

For anyone who is faced with this issue, don't be put off at all. I've solved it.

Just follow up and perform 'Train Tracking'.

I know that I haven't released it yet, but you can tell them their word, with nothing written down - no peeks, no props, no forces, just them and you. I've even done this over the phone.

Go ahead and get TAC. It is a winner.

Best,

Atlas
Atlas, when will this be available buddy?
Hi Atlas,

I'm glad you mentioned "Train Tracking." I didn't want to mention it myself because I wasn't sure at what stage you were regarding its release and didn't think I should "let it slip." :-) Let me say to everyone else out there, you will love "Train Tracking" when it is released.

Regards, Steve
I had my Thought Association Card printed on PVC stock with the horoscope signs on the back. I'll be using them for a follow-up trick, but they serve an important roll for me. I am an English teacher in an area with a large immigrant population- with some students with spelling deficiencies (in English). If one more students spells "Taurus" "T-o-u-r-u-s" and screws up my trick, I'm failing him or her.
And I just tried to post the pic, but it won't attach...weird.
Hi All,

Robvs sent me a photo and the horoscope signs look great! I hope he's able to post the photo here so you can see his handiwork :-)

Regards, Steve
Just ordered this. I can see this being a very strong follow on to Colin mcleod's wonderful direct flight.

Simon
Someone very kind, gifted me this. Amazing! I can't wait to make this up and pull it on someone! I also got Triangulation. Simultaneously control the “free” selections of two or three volunteers to create the illusion that their subconscious decisions were guided by the unseen forces of the triangle.

These two are incredible! Brilliant mentalism, that with sincere and thoughtful presentation, could be the best I have seen!

Doug
I NEVER leave home without it
Hi Dougini and Mr. F,

Thank you for the very, very kind words. I, too, always have it in my wallet :-)

Regards, Steve
Love this. Even passed the wife test! Gender friendly all the way, makes the most direct, easy to follow and straight forward in the minds of the spectators.

I've been following this up with a version of tervil/direct flight from Colin McLeod. Very strong.

Steve I'm interested in your methods if they ask the original word, as you mentioned earlier - ok to pm me!?

Simon
Hi Simon,

The wife test is a difficult one to pass :-) PM'd you.

Regards, Steve
Top man thank you, great advice.

Simon
I just wanted to reiterate how much I love TAC. It is always with me and the reactions are always top notch. Last night, the man I performed this for yelled out, "No !@#$in' way!" while throwing his hands up. For those concerned about not revealing the initial word, I find that playing up Steve's suggested presentation takes care of it. You explain that the process is what makes it all possible. I've performed this many times and never been asked about the initial word. I do have Train Tracking, however, if it comes up.
Hi All,

I had to change my web server host and, consequently, all the old links to my site no longer work. The new link to Thought Association Card is: http://yachanin.net/Yachanin_Magic/TAC.htm

The links in my signature have all been updated as well. Thanks for your support!

Regards, Steve
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Oct 11, 2016 03:32PM)
Steve, thanks for the update of your Link for TAC.

Best
Ray
[quote]On Mar 18, 2014, jaizon wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Preston [/quote]

How old are your specs? I have teens say stuff like that when I miss a card by one value etc.
You don't know the word. You caught and focused on pieces of it. Apparently the spec may have been focusing on a particular section of the word a particular letter perhaps.
Hi Robvs,

John C said it very well. On those few occasions when the volunteer has asked about the original word, I simply tell them I don't know because the energy field was too weak at the beginning and I was only able to get a reaction to a position of a letter in the word.

Regards, Steve
I love TAC. It has served me well for many years. I wish Atlas and Steve would get together and do another version of 'To Catch A Kite'. The idea is genius, but the execution is a little too "self-published" for my tastes. Both amazing effects though.
Funny you should say that - I've worked up a new version wherein you can ask the participant to choose a word from the book, use it to think of a word not from the book, and reveal it with no pumping. The book can be given away afterward and can be read cover to cover. This isn't something that I'm planning on releasing - it is far too fantastic - but it is something I'll happily share with other performers. The book used is "Right Ho Jeeves" by Wodehouse and should look perfect in every way.

I'll let you know when it is done Martin.

Best,

Atlas
Given that the stuff you release IS "fantastic" the mind boggles at the thought of the quality of your unreleased material!

Regards,
Martin.
Hi guys,
I really like what I read on this topic so far so I would like to give this a shoot.
Where is TAC available ?
The links in the previous posts don't work anymore
Look for the name 'yachanin' further up, follow the link in his signature....

also, if mr yachanin would like to see my version of his UK card - please email me and I'll send you it... :)
Hi casco1,

Unfortunately, I had to change web hosts, so none of my previous links work. Here's the new one: http://yachanin.net/Yachanin_Magic/TAC.htm

@Iain... great looking cards!

Regards, Steve
Have bought the PDF today, although Yachanin (correctly) mentioned that the effect *as sold* is only suitable for people who speak the English language.
I myself am Dutch but can see that the base principle could be used in other languages if you are willing to spend some time on it and convert it to your own language.
It will take you some time but I definitely think it's worth it. I can tell you I got a job to do this weekend 😊
Hi Bietfriek,

I'm glad you are going to put the time into converting it. I know you will find it was worth the effort :-)

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

IAIN sent me his version of the UK card he created. It is very authentic looking and he has very generously allowed me to share it with TAC owners. I have just finished sending emails to all those who own TAC. There were a handful of emails (about 9) that came back as "undeliverable." If you did not receive my email, please contact me at yachanin@roadrunner.com

Regards, Steve
Hi Steve,

Downloaded the images. I like them. Want to thank both you and Iain for sharing this.

But am tempted to use the blank blue back with something useful for the routine. Still thinking though.
Just so you know, the university is a real one, and was picked because they genuinely do tests/experiments with words (i think the latest one they did was to do with word frequency in June of this year)...
Hi IMAGINACIAN,

I'm always amazed at people's creativity. Let me know what you come up with.

Regards, Steve
Beautiful work Iain. Thanks to both you and Steve for sharing.
[quote]On Oct 22, 2016, IAIN wrote:
Just so you know, the university is a real one, and was picked because they genuinely do tests/experiments with words (i think the latest one they did was to do with word frequency in June of this year)... [/quote]

Thank you for the info Iain. But I'm aware of Bristol and some of its work.

Btw, do you feel it will help if the test card no. is 37 or maybe 68 instead of 38? Just a thought.
[quote]On Oct 22, 2016, yachanin wrote:
Hi IMAGINACIAN,

I'm always amazed at people's creativity. Let me know what you come up with.

Regards, Steve [/quote]

Hi Steve,

Always enjoyed performing tac. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to print up the colored words (stroop test?) on the blank back. Or a sentence with words where some of the letters are jumbled up but the first and last letter are right and still spec can read it (can't remember what that is called)

This may be helpful for some by play whenever needed. Any suggestions?
[quote]On Oct 24, 2016, IMAGINACIAN wrote:
Btw, do you feel it will help if the test card no. is 37 or maybe 68 instead of 38? Just a thought. [/quote]

hmmm...in my opinion, not really...as the card is about reading a thought or at least some kind of mental projection of sorts...so the influence side of things for 37 doesn't really fit, in my opinion...

doesn't stop you tinkering with it yourself though obviously :)

i'm keen to not over-egg the cake as it were...
Hi IMAGINACIAN,

Since the Stroop Effect deals with attention, I wouldn't use that. If you can connect the volunteer's ability to read jumbled words with your persona's ability that is demonstrated in the TAC effect, then I might consider printing it on the card. If not, however, I would leave it as is. Overall, I think altering the card with information that differs significantly in content or form from the word list would make the card look less authentic. Does that make sense?

Regards, Steve
Steve,

Thanks for the suggestions. Guess I'll leave it as it is.
I really like the sound of this , but may I ask about the printing ? To put this on cards do you need any special printer , paper or apps? Im about to replace my old printer.
I assume no one has made these up for sale.. UK version.. have they?
No, just use vistaprint, you get a load done for less than a tenner...they always have codes and offers...its done to fit their template, but feel free to do it at home...
Hi Roki,

I print the cards with my hp ink jet printer on heavy card stock and trim them on a paper cutter. Some laminate the cards as well (I do not). I am speaking about the cards in the Thought Association Card PDF file.

Regards, Steve
Oh great . Thanks to both of you , two good options there.
I received this from Steve a few days ago.
And have read thru most of it.This is a wonderful
effect.A lot of thinking has gone into this project.
And some of the best in the business have added a lot
of their takes on it also.I have also ordered the
Word search detective too.I think this will really
enhance the effect.I really love this a lot.
Thanks Steve for giving such a wonderful effect to us.
Todd
Hi Todd,

Thank you for the kind words and I'm so glad that you are enjoying TAC. I have been very fortunate that so many creative individuals have developed new twists with TAC and have allowed me to share them.

Regards, Steve
I just got home from a show, and told my wife I will be going to sleep right after I email a friend.

I was excited because I combined Steve Yachanin's Thought Association Card with Max Maven's Kirigami (which is on sale at Penguin).

I basically performed Kirigami without a reveal, and when each of my two helpers had formed two different words, I used the TAC approach to think of two additional words.

I like this, but it has some limitations due to the nature of Kirigami. However, if you have both of them, then I would give it a try.

In my email to Steve, I let him know how I handed the TAC portion of the effect. If he wants to share it with you, then I have no problem with it. But, I am going to leave that up to him.

Bobby
Hi All,

"Thank you," Bobby, for allowing me to share your idea of combining Kirigami and TAC. I think it gives a totally different look and feel to both effects... very creative thinking.

I purposely wrote Bobby's handling of the TAC portion cryptically to avoid exposure, but in a way (hopefully) that will be understood by those who own both effects:

For first Kirigami word: second... "fruit?" second... "state?" For second Kirigami word: second... "breakfast food?"... middle... "state?" I hope this makes sense.

I think it's wonderful that people continue to come up with their own twists and modifications of TAC... it always brings a smile to my face :-)

Regards, Steve
[quote]On Mar 18, 2014, jaizon wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Preston [/quote]

Just tell them in the beginning, " I don't know where this will lead but you may find it interesting. Let's give it a shot."
I like that line, 'I don't know where this will lead but you may find it interesting.'

It can be a good opening for the sort of things we do - or try to!
I have totally rewritten this in my own English version and it kills . The final word is never on my laminated card of over 100 words to choose from and it’s so well layered it really slays . It’s a great lead into greater coincidence routines in my humble opinion . Top notch Steve , I believe I have enhanced it further 🙂
Hi Freddie,

I'd love to hear more about the enhancements you've made to TAC. Drop me a PM when you have a chance.

Regards, Steve
I am using the non gender edition which works here in Canada. No problem in presenting this as long as the volunteer is able to follow instructions. It goes over well in a small group or parlour setting using both cards and can be adapted to one on one as well.
Used this once more last night to good effect. Shout out to Steve who resupplied me with instructions that I had misplaced on a secondary computer. It is nice to be able to do this again.
Hi Aligator

Glad to help and I'm happy to read you are enjoying TAC!

Regards, Steve
I have recently "returned" to magic and mental magic and have been working with TAC. For the gender neutral script, I developed a list of world cities/landmarks that can still satisfy the necessary requirements for the second phase of the effect.

My thinking is this. You explain that you believe you are getting a strong hit on the appropriate letter of their chosen word, but are having a hard time with the others -- perhaps a stronger association can be made with a visual aid. You present some cards with visual aids to help make a stronger association.

Please select the location whose first letter is the same as the letter you got a hit on in your original word. Once again, please focus on the location -- the pictures are just to help your focus and strengthen the association. This should lead them to choices that allow you to proceed to the third phase.  

I developed my cards with the idea that they accompanied "original" test. Consequently, I produced them using a font that suggests a typewriter, used black and white illustrations, and tried to make sure that any references would be historically accurate. Thus, for example, Jerusalem is listed as "Palestine" -- if the original test were to have been developed in the 30's or 40's . Of course, this could be adapted.

Again, nothing is written down and the volunteer(s) merely THINK of the new word. 

I believe some additional subtleties might be possible -- For example, after solving their final word, you might say, I'm intrigued by your second word -- can you refocus on that -- With a bit of fishing, it should be possible to identify their chosen location -- I had the impression that you were thinking of someplace that had something pointed, perhaps towards the sky -- which tells you that it is either Cairo or Manhattan; if they say no, then it must be Tabriz (carpet). I welcome suggestions to nurse this along, but I thought I would share this with you for your feedback. 

My list of cities/landmarks: Athens – Acropolis; Beirut – Pigeon Rocks; Cairo – Pyramids; Denver – Rocky Mountains; Edinburgh – Edinburgh Castle; Florence – Medici Palace; Geneva – Lake Geneva; Havana – Cathedral; Istanbul – Grand Mosque; Jerusalem – Holy Sepulchre; Lisbon – Port; Manhattan – Empire State Building; New Orleans – French Quarter; Ottawa – Parliament Building; Paris – Eiffel Tower; Quito – Cathedral (Built 1526); Rome – Colesseum; San Francisco – Golden Gate Bridge; Tabriz – Carpets; Uppsala – University; Vienna – Opera House; Westminster – Westminster Abbey; Yellowstone Park – Old Faithful; Zanzibar – Old Stone Fort.

Of course, you can adapt your own list or images to go along. I used royalty free clip art, and encourage you to do the same.

Let me know what you think.
Larry Ekin
Looks good Larry.
Hi All,

When Larry shared this with me, I smiled a big smile. I think adding visuals to help strengthen the associations is a great idea. The creativity shown by TAC users never ceases to amaze me :-) Kudos to you, Larry!

Regards, Steve
Hi Steve - I've just discovered TAC and am intrigued! However, I'm in Australia - without giving anything away, are you able to say if the region-specific component of the card related to language (such that UK English would be equivalent) or is there a geographic component that would mean Aussies would be out of the loop and it wouldn't work for them? Thanks in advance!
Hi Bifurcati,

I'm glad we had a chance to correspond and that you are able to use TAC in Australia. You could even play around with it and develop a variation that is specific to your region in Australia... the method is pretty versatile. :-)

Regards, Steve