(Close Window)
Topic: Thought Association Card review
Thought Association Card

Effect:

Two volunteers are handed a card containing 80 words (no repeats). Each volunteer is asked to mentally select a word (free choice). The volunteers mentally spell their words as you attempt to sense any reactions they have to the letters. Silently focusing on one of the letters, each volunteer is asked to think of a new word beginning with that letter. This process is repeated two more times, making it impossible for anyone to have any idea of the final words in the minds of the volunteers.

You ask the volunteers to concentrate on their final word selections as you write your impressions on the back of your business card. Only after you have placed the business card on the table do you instruct the volunteers to announce the words they have in their minds and have one of them turn over the business card. The words on the business card match the volunteers’ words!

Impossible? Your audience will think so…

- Nothing written down
- No fishing
- No switches
- No secret writing
- One or two volunteers
- Fits in your wallet

* “Thought Association Card” was designed to be used with U.S. volunteers.

I really like this!

It's a good effect that requires no memory work(besides remembering the sequence/steps).It's pretty straight forward,the method flows nicely & no one is spending half an hour doing nonsensical mathematical equations to get to a special number or anything like that.

This is a PDF download,you do not get a printed,laminated card as you do with most wallet mentalism cards.
I like this a lot,you can print new ones as needed & laminate them yourself(if you want to).

2 versions of the card are included to print.

I'm thinking of using this for pre show as part of a prediction routine I do.

Definitely recommended!

Mike
Hi Mike,

This could definitely be used as part of a prediction routine. Let us know how it works out (and thanks for the great review).

Regards, Steve
Michael,

I would be interested in hearing more how you would use this for p**-s***. Not knowing anything about you, your character or your style, might I be bold as to recommend you try it a few times just as Steve has written it up before using it in a different manner?

I recently performed this at a show before a group of Realtors, and the reaction was nothing short of amazing. It absolutely floored them. In talking with Steve about variations, I suggested having the spectators write something down. While he did not tell me I shouldn't do it, he did recommend, in a kind and gentle manner, that the spectators not write anything down.

So, I performed it just as Steve wrote it up, and it worked beautifully. The reaction is so strong, I fear you might diminish it somewhat with p**-s***, though I could be wrong.

Best wishes,

Bobby
Nice Review, worth a look then.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jul 31, 2012 06:39AM)
I bought this two days ago knowing how it worked. It was easy to learn so I decided to preformed it yesterday.

The person started laughing really hard when I told them their word. They were completely taken by the way I knew the word that they were only thinking of.

I asked them if it felt like I really did read their mind and they said, 'HAIL YEA!" .......

I am really happen that I bought this. It is a keeper. And something the appears to be the REAL DEAL!

Best
Ray
Is the thought of new word also on the card or can it be any word?
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Jul 31, 2012 08:07AM)
[quote]
On 2012-07-31 08:30, Russell Davidson wrote:
Is the thought of new word also on the card or can it be any word?
[/quote]

The thought of new word is not on the card. That would take away from the overall look and feel of the routine. For a better understanding of the routine, re-read the opening post.

Best
Ray

P.S in my above post I have the word happen instead of happy. That is because I am using a darn iPad and it makes corrections whenever it thinks it knows Better than me. LOL

Ray
Hi Russell,

I just want to mention that the current version of "[url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url]" is designed to be used with U.S. volunteers. I am currently working on a UK version and hope to have it out in the very near future.

Regards, Steve
Ray,

Nice to hear about your success. It is freaky. Isn't it a shame, sort of, that we never got to experience the effect performed for us, because this is a thing of terrifying beauty, if I may steal a phrase.

Ray, what was it like for you the moment before the spectator(s) revealed the words? At that point, I was thinking it was sink or swim. There is no turning back. I was relieved and elated when I correctly predicted both words. This is an amazing effect. I have put it in my show.

Russell, the effect is a Cognitive Association Skills Test. So, the words on the cards are a jumping off point for the spectators to think of other, random words.

Bobby
I assume you can't name the original word... Is that correct?

Craig
Hi Craig,

That is correct, you cannot name the original words the volunteers chose. You could, if you wanted to, shorten the routine and reveal their words one step earlier in the process (but I would not do so).

As Bobby mentioned, I always experience a little bit of anxiety (for any mentalism effect I perform), because there is always the small chance that something will go wrong. I've seen magicians, as volunteers, accidentally drop a pack of cards and ruin the effect! I think the anxiety, however, is a good thing; if you are (actually) just a little nervous, that is likely to come through in your performance and, I believe, help "sell" the idea that mentalism is not a 100%, sure-fire thing... it makes it more believable. Well, just my opinion :)

Regards, Steve
[quote]
On 2012-07-28 23:35, robwar0100 wrote:
Michael,

I would be interested in hearing more how you would use this for p**-s***. Not knowing anything about you, your character or your style, might I be bold as to recommend you try it a few times just as Steve has written it up before using it in a different manner?

I recently performed this at a show before a group of Realtors, and the reaction was nothing short of amazing. It absolutely floored them. In talking with Steve about variations, I suggested having the spectators write something down. While he did not tell me I shouldn't do it, he did recommend, in a kind and gentle manner, that the spectators not write anything down.

So, I performed it just as Steve wrote it up, and it worked beautifully. The reaction is so strong, I fear you might diminish it somewhat with p**-s***, though I could be wrong.

Best wishes,

Bobby
[/quote]

How would I use it for pre show?
Are you joking?

The way it's written up works just fine,but I rarely do things as they come out of the package.

I must be missing something, how would pre show diminish the effect?

They make choices & have a word in mind,I reveal it later.

As my routine goes,before the show,several people make free choices(a word from a book,an amount of change,a movie & a random object).Later in the show,a locked box that has been in full view all night ;) is unlocked & all the choices are correctly predicted.

This could easily replace how the word is chosen.

Mike
Picked this up today and it's very clever. The only problem I foresee is that this isn't going to work well with a large amount of people...you run the risk of them not being able to think of an appropriate word for the initial letter match and then run off on an unexpected tangent. Still, it's going to be fun playing with it!

Craig
Mike,

Thanks. What you have described is impressive.

I made a decision to no longer use pre-show and look for ways to accomplish the same kinds of things in real time, as I have done with Max Maven's Four-Sided Triangle. And Steve's effect plays strong, very strong, as it is.

I wish you well and would love to hear how it works out for you.

Bobby
Craig,

I looked for guys in their late 30s or older.

Bobby
Hi Craig,

I've found it fairly easy to sense when one or both of the volunteers are having some trouble with the first word. In those cases, I've suggested they "use a lifeline" and ask a friend to help them out and that's usually enough. Bobby's suggestion about guys in their late 30s or older as volunteers will also help avoid any problems from the start. In any case, I know you'll have fun with this :)

Regards, Steve
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 2, 2012 03:02PM)
I did this last night and once again it totally rocked!

I am really starting to like this more and MORE!

Ray
Hi Ray,

That's great! I love the reactions :)

Regards, Steve
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 3, 2012 01:18AM)
[quote]
On 2012-07-31 19:43, cpatchett wrote:
Picked this up today and it's very clever. The only problem I foresee is that this isn't going to work well with a large amount of people...you run the risk of them not being able to think of an appropriate word for the initial letter match and then run off on an unexpected tangent. Still, it's going to be fun playing with it!

Craig
[/quote]

I have solved this little issue!

I have re-worked the routine in the event that this may happen. It is now 100% user friendly and so easy! LOL

So you can now have a plan B to work with when you need it.

Ray
Hi All,

I will be including Ray's "Plan B" in a revised manuscript that I will send out to all those who've already purchased [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url]. It's a very clever solution.

Regards, Steve
Ray is always coming up with new creative ways!
Let's see it Ray
Hi All,

Just finished sending the revised manuscript of [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url] with Ray's "Plan B" to everyone who has already purchased it. The revised manuscript will be sent out to new purchases.

Regards, Steve
Just got this and used it within 20 minutes office. My office mate said I should have used this on America's Got Talent. Guess that says how nice it is.

Decomposing into Word Association
Got the update from Steve with Ray's ideas and it resolves all concerns I had with it. I think Ray's ideas actually strengthen the effect as they add some different directions to lead the two spectators, making it harder to figure out what just happened at the end of the effect!

Thanks guys.

Craig
Hi Craig,

I knew I had to include "Plan B" in the manuscript as soon as Ray told me about it... just too cool.

Regards, Steve
[quote]
On 2012-08-06 00:16, Decomposed wrote:
Just got this and used it within 20 minutes office. My office mate said I should have used this on America's Got Talent. Guess that says how nice it is.

Decomposing into Word Association
[/quote]
This is good to hear, and it confirms/affirms my decision to put it in my show. Ray's Plan B is nice, too.

Bobby
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Aug 7, 2012 03:26AM)
I think that this would be great for a pre-show routine. Thanks to Michael Peterson for suggesting pre-show!

I can see this playing VERY big on stage combined with another idea that I have.
I will run it by Steve ( yachanin ) first and see what he has to say about it.

Ray
Hi All,

I just posted Ray's idea for a stage presentation in the "Mentally Speaking" forum. I think a lot of people will love it!

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

I'm very close to finishing a revised manuscript of "Thought Association Card". It will contain versions for use in Canada and in the UK. It will also have a "gender-friendly" version that can be used in Canada, the UK, and the U.S. If all goes well, it should be ready by the end of next week!

Regards, Steve
Steve,

Thank you for letting me get a glimpse of the new gender-friendly version. When you consider your original version, Ray's addition and this new variation, I think you are giving the performer a number of ways to present it depending upon the circumstances. You give us a lot of options. Well done.

Bobby
[quote]
On 2012-08-12 00:44, yachanin wrote:
Hi All,

I'm very close to finishing a revised manuscript of "Thought Association Card". It will contain versions for use in Canada and in the UK. It will also have a "gender-friendly" version that can be used in Canada, the UK, and the U.S. If all goes well, it should be ready by the end of next week!

Regards, Steve
[/quote]

Will this be made available to us that have purchased as an add-on or will it be an additional cost?
It will be sent to those who have already purchased "Thought Association Card".

Regards, Steve
I have it and I think it is great. I plan on using this one!

Decomposing Into New THought Card
Hi Bobby,

Thanks. I had hoped the revised manuscript would provide more options and I'm glad you think it does as well :)

Regards, Steve
I just used the new card at a local Exxon. I first did my usual telling the person her actual bday. But get this, I then pulled out the newest TAC and did the chunnel with the new revision and got a better reaction. Well it was a laughing reaction, a I cant believe it rather then the first stunned silent reaction.

I know once I play with this and more, it will become even better. :applause:

Decomposing at 2:34 am CST
Hi Decomposed,

I never performed this at a gas station. What an interesting place to bring a few minutes of enjoyment into a person's life :)

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

Just a quick line to let you know that the revised [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url] will be available later this evening (around 9:00pm EST). It will have versions suitable for use with Canadian and UK volunteers and a more "gender-friendly" version as well.

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

The newly revised [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url] is now available with Canadian, UK, and "gender-friendly" versions included.

All those who have previously purchased "Thought Association Card" have been sent the revised manuscript.

Regards, Steve
[quote]
On 2012-07-31 10:23, robwar0100 wrote:

...Isn't it a shame, sort of, that we never got to experience the effect performed for us, because this is a thing of terrifying beauty, if I may steal a phrase...

Bobby
[/quote]

Hi Bobby,

Your comment gave me an idea for those who purchase the manuscript, but have not yet read it: the purchaser should play the part of a volunteer, begin reading the patter and follow along as a volunteer. When they reach the point in the routine where they are to choose a word, they could choose a word from the appropriate word list and then continue with the patter from the appropriate region (Canada or UK). It wouldn't be exactly the same as being an actual volunteer, but might give them an idea (sort of) :)

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

I'm sending out one final revision of [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url]. Everyone who has purchased it should receive it by the end of the day. Please let me know if you do not.

The revision contains an alternative handling for the "Gender-Friendly" version. I call it "Sincoff's Gambit" and, depending on your performance style, will play out very well... some may prefer it to the original handling.

Regards, Steve
Hi All,

I've received a number of excellent ideas from several of you and have begun putting together a supplement for [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url]. The supplement will appear as an appendix in the manuscript and will be sent to all purchasers when it is completed. So... if you've come up with some variations, twists, subtleties, and etc. that you would like to share with other TAC owners, send them my way when you get the opportunity.

Thank you for supporting TAC :)

Regards, Steve
Steve has really gone out of his way to address any issues people may have had with this.

With U.S., Canadian, U.K. & a gender friendly version,you can do this for pretty much anyone now.

This is a very nice piece of pocket mentalism.

Thank you to Steve for sending all the updates to all who purchased this free of charge.I really dislike it when creators come up with modifications to effects & release them separately as 2.0 or the new improved version.

I look forward to what else Steve will be coming up with, I think this first offering is a sign of more good things to come.

Thanks,
Mike
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Sep 20, 2012 12:21AM)
Looking forward form the next update.

Ray
Hi All,

I'm just starting to send out the revised manuscript of [url=http://dl.dropbox.com/u/33815273/Yachanin_Magic/Welcome.html]Thought Association Card[/url]. It includes the "supplement" (in the Appendix) and I think you're really going to like this :)

Thanks, again, to all the contributors...

Regards, Steve
I just got this and was not dissapointed. This is a real, workable effect that allows for so many different performance possibilities. At this price it's a total steal too. I will be using this in my act for sure, thanks Steve for releasing such a great product.
Hi Chaz93,

Thanks for the compliment :) I hope you'll be back to share some of your performances with it.

Regards, Steve
Got this yesterday, love the principal behind it.

However as some others have mentioned it's a bit confusing to follow & having read the whole PDF I am still confused.

I'm confused by which display of the 80 words you show for which words, ie you have Cognitive Association Skills Test
Card #3b - Cognitive Association Skills Test Card #4a etc.
The Gender Friendly version, which card do I use?

Re the Doug Canning increase on words to 100, I can see the extra words listed but which card are these added to?

Are there any videos of anyone actually performing this so I can get a better idea of what to do, or is there a more step by step walk through for this?

Excuse my thickness. DEo like this & can see loads of possibilities with it.
Hi Tech Head Steve,

Just sent you a PM with some information that may be helpful to you. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

Regards, Steve