(Close Window)
Topic: Knuckle Busting Moves
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Oct 17, 2003 11:17PM)
Ever practice Hi-Tech moves for Hours...Weeks...Months and then be to nervous to use them in a working environment? They work fine on family and friends but "at work" I still rely on the tried and true, afraid to break new ground.
Yeah, when you are working for the $$$ you use what you know works!!! That's not to say that I don't use hard moves but I have done them 10000 Times!!! You have to try them out on people you have worked for a lot! Again I would put them with the walk on water tricks! You do one only after they know you are Good!

Best David Neighbors
The Coinjurer
Oh yeah, I know what that feels like. I had the Ring Leader routine down, and when I went to my first gig since learning it, I decided not to use it because I had so many other things that I knew would kill. Yeah, I'm a chicken. But once you do that routine that you have been working on, you'll do it forever. It's that first time that's the hardest
I am afraid to do coins for people, even though I know I'm good at it; and when I do them they "kill". This is just a confidence issue, and I am just starting to get over it. A Magician I know told me to "just do it", and believe it or not it helps so much to just do it.
Keep practicing the sleights, one day you will feel confident with it and start using it. It just takes practice and time.
Sure, I still don't use Ramsay's mid-air vanish in public. The one-handed vanish I do use took a couple of years of practice before it went into performance. The classic pass is something that remains outside my comfort zone so instead I use a reverse pass.

Hope this perspective helps
Remember that it's not the sleight that makes the magic. Fred Kapps was not afraid to use a gimick rather than a sleight. his philosophy was use the simplest method to make the magic happen. I think we often learn complicated sleight just for self gratification. Hey I can talk :)
[quote]
On 2004-06-17 14:33, Stephen Barney wrote:
Remember that it's not the sleight that makes the magic. Fred Kapps was not afraid to use a gimick rather than a sleight. his philosophy was use the simplest method to make the magic happen. I think we often learn complicated sleight just for self gratification. Hey I can talk :)
[/quote]

I agree totally. The audience does not know the difference between a difficult sleight and an easy one. They shouldn't know the difference becuase is shouldn't be seen at all. I enjoy practicing hard moves because it gives me that sense of accomplishment.