(Close Window)
Topic: New David Regal DVDs!!!
On L&L website they are now selling the new David Regal four DVD set. It has material from [i]Star Quality, Constant Fooling[/i] 1 & 2 and some unpublished work. Anyone have any information on these, as I know they will be awesome?
If you like David Regal's previous work, you will love these as well. It is more David Regal, and to be honest I can't get enough of him performing his unique brand of magic.

More David, more David, more David!!! :dancing:

He is such a strong performer with such a creative mind which shows in all his work. This is not the B-list material or the leftovers from his past work. This is more of David's awesome magic.

Get them!

Cheers,

Tom
Now my Christmas wish list is complete!
For someone who has no experience of David Regal (not having read any books or seen any previous videos or DVDs), should I buy this latest set, or start with the first volumes? Looks like there might be quite a lot of overlap.
I have watched all four of these DVDs and they are awesome! I had never seen David perform before, so I didn't have any expectations. David is funny, the plots are original and the magic is incredible. I have also seen the John Guastaferro DVDs and if you like David Regal, you will love "John G". Regal recommended John to L&L.

One last mention is that David Regal is going to be a special guest for a week on the L&L discussion board sometime in the middle of November and there will be a chance to win a set of the Regal DVDs. Dates to be posted soon!
I think there has been a post about this DVD set from the past. From what I can remember, some of these materials use gaffed right?
This is a brand new set of DVDs!
How many of these effects require gimmicks? I have his other set and I love them.

Thanks,
:kermit: :kermit: :kermit:
I saw the demo of this DVD set and I'm going to buy it right away! I will also buy the new Ammar and the Brainstorm set. :bigsmile:
The website lists the original source for each item on the DVD. They do look to contain a good smattering from his published and unpublished works. They're high on my list.

For those of you lucky enough to have [i]Star Quality[/i] (the book) I would be interested to know if these DVDs contain the best of [i]Star Quality[/i] or the second tier material?

Mark
I don't think there is any such thing as second tier material in any of his books. I think you'll be safe.

Brian
Greetings,

Just wanted to let everyone know about the special that Hocus Pocus Magic is having:[list][*]The new David Regal four volume set is $99.00 with free shipping in the U.S.

[*]The new Michael Ammar is $25.00 with free shipping in the U.S.

[*]The new John Gustaferro two volume set is $52.95 with free shipping in the U.S.

[*]Also, the new [i]Color Fusion[/i] DVD is $25.00 with free shipping in the U.S.[/list]You asked for free shipping, you got it! This sale ends this Thursday at 5 pm PST. Please call 1 800 407 4040 to place an order or for any questions.

Thanks! :band:
I had more than enough from the last trilogy. Thanks, but no thanks.

Nimrod, Israel
[quote]
On 2003-10-21 11:32, Jason London wrote:
Greetings,

Just wanted to let everyone know about the special that Hocus Pocus Magic is having:[list][*]The new David Regal four volume set is $99.00 with free shipping in the U.S.

[*]The new John Gustaferro two volume set is $52.95 with free shipping in the U.S.

[*]Also, the new [i]Color Fusion[/i] DVD is $25.00 with free shipping in the U.S.[/list]You asked for free shipping, you got it! This sale ends this Thursday at 5 pm PST. Please call 1 800 407 4040 to place an order or for any questions.

Thanks! :band:
[/quote]
FYI—L&L will do price matching. Drop them a line and let them know you found a cheaper price and they will sell it to you for that price. That's for any L&L product.
:lol: Looks like it's turning into a price war, hahaha.

I believe no one has answered the question about extra gaffs required by the DVDs?
Isn't that what magic retail has turned into, a big ol' price war? That's the way it is!

Alex, to answer your question about extra gaffs—I'm not sure. I'm probably the only one here who has seen these, except for Tom Cutts who was there when they were shot. I wasn't familiar with David's material before I saw these. My original post was to give my reaction which was—they were great—very entertaining, great concepts and if you're a Regal fan, get these!!! I haven't watched the explanations yet.

If you (or anyone familiar with David's material) go to the L&L web site and go past the home page to see the description of the effects presented on the DVDs AND if you've read David's books, you'll know the answer regarding gaffs.
Owning the trilogy of David's previous set, there's no reason for me not to consider this one. It's going to be good. Now I got to send my telepathic wish to Santa Claus!
As I am a big fan of David Regal, I have already purchased these DVDs from L&L Publishing. Knowing his material by heart now, and seen what effects are included in these DVDs, they were a must! And yes, I think some of the effects need gaffed cards.

By the way, anyone of you guys have a spare copy of [i]Star Quality[/i] to sell?
:bikes:
Where can we see the demo of these new DVDs?
A-1 Magical Media (Maxwell) is selling the previous Regal three video set (VHS) for $39.95 until Oct. 31. Quite a bargain.
If Hocus Pocus offered those prices first, then they deserve the business more. Hocus Pocus purchased those DVDs from L&L anyway, so no one is losing here.
It's not a matter of who "deserves" the business more, it's a matter of convenience for customers and it's a matter of the customer deciding who they want to order from. Some customers are loyal to one dealer, some are loyal to several. If someone is going to place an order through L&L, why not ask for the price match? Why shouldn't L&L price match on their own products? Some people like the L&L products and will never shop with them because they either have a local shop they like or an favorite internet dealer. Those that do like to shop with L&L "deserve" a chance at a price break if they're willing to ask.

BTW - Hocus Pocus more than likely did not purchase the DVDs directly from L&L, they purchase them from Murphy's Magic.
I ordered mine from Hocus-Pocus. L&L is a first-rate place but I love Paul Gross and his team. Friendly, fast, etc. I don't want to nitpick over a few pennies.

If the creator sells things, I buy from them.

Chris
Mesa, Arizona
Where can I see demo of [i]Magic of David Regall[/i]?

Are there only card tricks???
David Regal will be a guest on the L&L Discussion Board from Monday November 17th-Sunday November 23rd. We will also be having a contest with the prize being a set of David's new DVDs [i]Premise, Power & Participation[/i].

That week will give everyone a chance to ask David about the material on the DVDs (and anything else you want to ask him).
Greetings,

We now have IN-STOCK the new David Regal, John Gustaferro and Michael Ammar DVDs.

The offer still stands for anyone wants to purchase them from Hocus Pocus Magic. [list][*]The new David Regal four volume set is $99.00 with free shipping in the U.S.

[*]The new John Gustaferro two volume set is 52.95 with free shipping in the U.S.

[*]Also, the new [i]Color Fusion[/i] DVD is $25.00 with free shipping in the U.S. [/list]1 800 407 4040
:cake:
I join the question above. Are there only card tricks? Or is the majority card tricks?

I love David Regal (enjoyed his previous set) but I will not put my money into more card tricks...
What skill level are these DVDs?

Thanks
There is a detailed list of the effects on the DVDs and a description of each effect at [url=http://www.llpub.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1923]this link on the L&L site.[/url]

The majority of effects are with cards. There is also: coins, a great chop cup routine, a variation on the effect Room Service and David's advice and creating and constructing routines (that is why it's called [i]Premis, Power & Participation[/i]!).
I am STILL waiting for these four DVDs to arrive from L&L and I ordered them the 18th last month, hmmm...

And I will review them as soon they get here.
L&L started shipping these out last week. Depending on what overseas shipping method you chose will determine when you get them.
What's going on guys? I'm in Australia and I have mine!

They do recycle a LOT of material from Constant Fooling and Close Up and Personal so if you have the books and have what you want from them, the dvds won't add too much more you you need.

The material is VERY strong but he does rely a lot on gimmicks and one offs that are more suited to a close up show or a dining table magician. As a pro, I glossed over a lot of the stuff that requires alot of setup or big props that I can only for one effect. E.g. one effect requires a block of wood!

However, he is an original thinker and most of his ideas are new so I am sure that with watching and rewatching there is a lot I will learn.

I would suggest buying vol 1. then buying the rest.

3 1/2 stars from me.
Having all of his other stuff (published material, not his effects), I highly anticipated enjoying these four DVDs. And I wasn't disappointed.

I really like the way he divides his material, and how he chose to go about what he would put on each volumn. First Premise, Second Power, Third Participation, leaving the fourth to rap it up.

Although I own Star Quality, I was really glad to see his Oil and Water effect on these tapes. It reads well, but is so much more helpful to see it performed when learning it.

I also enjoy seeing some of the effects that I am not to sure on, and how they play big!

Lastly, and for those of us that have been watching L&L videos for a while will enjoy this, David has some fun with David (the regular L and L video guy).

Enjoyed them all!

John
I would love to hear which of the effects played bigger on the video that you anticipated from his printed books.
[quote]
On 2003-11-06 02:53, Nicholas J. Johnson wrote:
They do recycle a LOT of material from Constant Fooling and Close Up and Personal so if you have the books and have what you want from them, the dvds won't add too much more you you need.
[/quote]

A few comments about this - It shouldn't be a surprise to anyone who buys these what material is included. If you went to the L&L site to read about these, you would see that the description for every effect shows which book it came from and that there are a few effects that are unpublished. I don't know if every site that sells these uses our description from our site, but if you have David's material, you would no doubt recognize the titles of the effects and would know the printed material you have is presented on these DVDs.

There are also those who, even though they have the printed material, appreciate seeing the creator actually perform the effects.

The bigger picture with these DVDs is to focus on elements of presentation.
Allright, I got them today!

Thank god Im not working this week.

Now I know what I'm gonna do this weekend, exept for beign here at the Café' of course...

The material on these dvd's includes routines from Penumbra, Star Quality, Close Up and Personal, and both volumes of Constant Fooling. Plus some previous unpublished material.

And as an bonus is David's "After Hours", which goes in the same vein as Bill Malon's "Sam The Bellhop", and Simon Lovell's "Who Killed Lilly Longlegs?"
I'm interested in "the magic of david regal Dvds', but as I'm not into much gaffs and stuff like tat as I perform magic usually with borrowed decks, I'm planning to get dvd 3. Are the effects feasible and good?..I'm also interested in learning his bill switch without a thumb tip in his 2nd dvd where he performs the trick Origami Bill.How good is that bill switch technique?..is it clean?..thx
[quote]
There are also those who, even though they have the printed material, appreciate seeing the creator actually perform the effects.
[/quote]

Yeah Baby!

WOW! I have seen the two first dvds now, and they are astounding!

He literally has the audience in his palms. His charm and wit really shows on these tapes.

My favourite effect so far is with a chop cup and a mouse which is described in Close-Up & Personal.

Great job David! I can't wait to see the others.
:thehat:
I'm floored by these DVD's. The effects are so strong. David's performing style is so engaging, you know the audience reactions are genuine.

All I can says is Thank God for David Regal. He's a genius!!!!

The Monte effect is incredible. I would have paid the price of the series to learn that one trick from him.
I love David's performing style. What he has inspired me to do is Script my routines. I like his comment on Impromptu... You are still writing your routine, but just making choices at that particular time and place. If one works for you then, you can use it later.

If not, choose another path.

His use of Gaffs is strong, but I really enjoy how he will use one gaffed deck for two or three "ungaffed" tricks, then perform the effect that relys on the gaff.

Very disarming. Plus he is just so fun to watch.

John
Well, now I have seen all four of David's dvd's.
And Im floored with amazement.
Such a perfomance style, such enginius effects, such an audience appeal, such humor.

I second MagicChris statement "All I can say is thank god for David Regal. He is a genious!!!"

I think I have to watch these baby's all over again, and this time WITH the explenations.

In the end I only have to say: GO GET THOSE TAPES!!
They are the best I seen in a long, long time.
Go on, what are you all waiting for?????
Does anybody know if Jon or David are in these DVDs???
David is in the front row and involved in alot of tricks in all the videos and jon is in the back row and you can tell he really hates it.

I like David and I don't like jon.

Big Jeff :kermit: :kermit: :kermit:
I'm overwhelmed by David's magic. He keeps fooling me. What a genius.

I could review each DVD or effect, but that would be like critiquing the bible--get these DVDs!!!
Come on man..do a review on it!
Message: Posted by: david_a_whitehead (Nov 14, 2003 10:06AM)
David Regal is my favorite magic inventor hands down. next would probably be Simon Aronson, followed by paul Harris, marlo/vernon, bannon, jennings....etc.
Hi,

have read about nothing but praises about this set of david regal's dvds. so what should I get, his first set of dvds or this set?

oh, I was also thinking about getting mike close's ultimate workers close up set of dvs....
how does this new regal's dvd compare to mike close' set?

thanks for your advice
eric :)
My vote is on David's DVD's.
Amazing, entertaining stuff in those tapes.
The audince really seem to appriciate what he is doing.

Peo
[quote]
On 2003-11-14 18:58, erictan8888 wrote:

oh, I was also thinking about getting mike close's ultimate workers close up set of dvs....
how does this new regal's dvd compare to mike close' set?

thanks for your advice
eric :)
[/quote]

I have both and think they are both great. You can't go wrong with either set.
I'm planning to get The magic of David Regal set disc 1 and 3...if I skip disc 2 will I miss any good stuff?
Oh yesssssss !
With David you never can go wrong.

Peo
Well too bad I only got enough to get 1 and 3 =(
I have just stopped traveling, and can now sell some of my new DVDs. They have received some enthusiastic posts on this forum.

My prices are low, I sign the first volume, and I include printed instructions for a trick not included on the DVDs!

I also have some good combo deals, including tricks and books.

Go to http://www.davidregal.com
I didn't know David sold them himself-I would have gotten them from him. Please support the creator and buy direct from David!!!

Chris
I totally agree! Too bad you didn't have a deal like this a little earlier David, I would have bought your Combo #1 right from you if it existed!
Gee David... too bad I have all the stuff in the combos already, except for the instructions for the new effect.
Can it be bought separately?

Peo

PS Do you know if Star Quality ever will be reprinted again, or is that up to Harry Lorayne?
Just a reminder that David is on the L&L Discussion board this week - through Sunday the 23rd.
[url]http://www.llpub.com/board[/url]

Stop by and ask David a question!
Platt (from the other thread) -

Thanks for all the nice things you said about my DVDs. As for my aims with this new set, I think I'm more subversive than you give me credit for.

The set is not supposed to be a soup-to-nuts exploration of all that is presentation. It is a cry to REMEMBER presentation, and to treat it with the same respect that we treat sleights and methods. The DVDs are indeed a collection of tricks, but by arranging them in such a way as to highlight certain aspects of presentation, I am reinforcing the fact that those elements of presentation exist. Questioning how those elements come into play while performing one of my effects, or any effect at all, is as good a first step as any when it comes to designing a presentation.

Most magicians have poor presentation. Honestly, most magicians do not take the first step. I called my DVDs "Premise, Power & Participation" so that in the act of asking the man behind the counter for a look at them, that first step has begun.

Self-serving part:

I'm not traveling right now, so if anyone orders the DVDs from me, they'll ship immediately.

Go to http://www.davidregal.com

Scroll down for various combo deals.
Hey David, thanks for the reply. Good answer.

[quote]
On 2003-11-13 23:18, Lonewolf123 wrote:
Come on man..do a review on it!
[/quote]

Yes. With all the posts here, there really aren't a lot of solid reviews. Expect killer presentation and killer effects. David, as I mentioned in another post, throws method out the window. He'll slay you with gimmicks so obvious you'd never think to use them. And believe me, that's meant as a compliment. I was fooled badly. Like all David's published material, you can't go wrong here. If you're looking to buy just one, I'd go with volume 3, then 2, then 1, and for the die-hards, 4.

As for individual effects, to me the top standouts were Lucky Sevens, Prophecy Pack, and The Blank Transpo.

As with all L&L videos, I can't help but think the audience is being overly coached to laugh. David is very sharp, very funny. He had me laughing from my coach. But the man could say anything, for instance, hello, and the audience would start giggling like school girls.

"JT-Jonathon Taylor Thomas"- Funny.
"I keep my lucky card next to my magic castle card"- Not funny. Not meant to be.

Help me out David. Was there a toking session prior to the show?
No toking.

To clarify, Volume Four is mostly stand-up parlor-type material. It includes "Journey to Love" and "The Very Last Card", two routines that will, I think, be of great value to those who have a need for material that can be performed at a private home or on a stage. Already, A Magic Castle magician has adapted those two effects for his parlor act.
I liked the Cup and mice trick and especially the Brother John Hamann's signed card plot with the kicker ending known as 'Exhibit A'..that was a brilliant take on that plot. And yes, I agree that Regal throws method out the window, but he replaces that with his 'own' method which absolutely slays magicians and lay people alike with ideas that are out of this world and you will never think about. I never knew that a simple jacket has so much value in it..= )
Should I say: Unfortunately, I have already purchased all 4 DVD's, otherwise of course I would have bought them directly from you David!
David uses also a removable double stick tape in vol 2, which I was not able to find in Sweden or even Europe. M3 in Sweden says; Europe is a to small market :shrug:
Anybody could help on this subject? I think the product # is Scotch 667. Maybe PM me?
Nay any double stick tape will do...try it out.
@ Guido:
In Germany we have glue roll-ons. It's the same technic that is used for correction tapes. It is available in permanent or non-permanent. Non-permanent works really fine. I like it more than double stick tape because it's absolutely invisible. The brand name is "Pritt glue-it" (from Henkel?). May be you have the same or similar brands in Sweden!?
Also look at the attached picture to see what I mean.

Best regards,

Ulli
I second double stick tape. It works great.
Craig Petty and David Penn reviewed these and went nuts over how great they are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkjNNUCfUD8&feature=player_embedded
[quote]
On 2010-09-16 09:55, Review King wrote:
Craig Petty and David Penn reviewed these and went nuts over how great they are:

[/quote]

Are you sure these are the DVD's they reviewed?
Either way, good job bringing back a 7 year old thread.
Those are the DVD's being reviewed. His other set was three volumes.
[quote]
On 2010-09-16 21:57, jsheas wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I like to bring back old threads, even thought it angers some people on the Café. Why do they get angry about it? Because they are idiots, so it's fun to annoy them.

:rotf:
Some of the best material I have added to my repertoire is from 'old' DVDs. I only discovered the Brainstorm set by Guastaferro some years after the release after seeing an old thread on the Café.

Keep posting Chris!
I agree with Chris, I don't know why people get so upset over an old thread being brought back. Why does it matter? Like Puggo said above, it calls your attention to something that you may not have heard of, or forgotten about. How many repeat threads are there on this board because someone didn't want to post on an old thread?
I have this dvd set and think it is fun to pop it in sometimes for entertainment. There is so much material on these that sometimes I forget the methods and am fooled again. These are my favorite dvds.
[quote]
On 2010-09-16 21:57, jsheas wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Whoops, sorry that was my fault.
I thought I was in "The Latest and Greatest" Section when I read the post. Which a 7 year old thread would not apply. I have no problem with it in this section of the forums.