(Close Window)
Topic: Three Will
Dear MagicCafe Members,

I am very pleased to announce the release of my new effect [b]Three Will[/b].

[img]http://i45.tinypic.com/2j65qvn.jpg[/img]

[b]PREMISE:[/b]

Is the concept of free will a delusion of the mind used to convince ourselves that the decisions we make are our own, that we are in control?

How many of the apparently free choices we make every day are actually already made for us without our knowledge?

Three Will poses these questions and proves that for some of us free will really is nothing more than an elaborate illusion.

[b]EFFECT:[/b]

[quote]
The performer asks for the assistance of a couple from the audience and borrows a phone and a set of keys from them. The performer himself contributes his wallet and all three items are placed on the table.

The performer writes a secret prediction on his business card and places it face down on the table. The prediction remains in full view the entire effect.

The couple each freely selects an item and one for the performer. When the performer’s prediction is read aloud it reveals that he was able to accurately predict which item each person would end up with.
[/quote]

The primary method...

• Requires no sleight of hand, no switches, no envelopes, swami writing, etc.
• Uses two assistants and items they provide.
• You write the prediction on the back of your business card at the start of the effect.
• The prediction is in full view for the duration of the effect.
• The prediction can be handed out at the end of the effect.
• Requires minimal setup and can carried in your wallet always ready to go.
• Appears to your audience as being completely impromptu and off the cuff.
• Primary method requires a '[i]special something[/i]' that you may already have, available at stores or online for $3-$4.

Three alternate methods are also presented one of which requires a '[i]magic utility[/i]' that you may already have, available at most magic suppliers for $20+.

[b]MEMBER REVIEWS:[/b]

"[i][b]Three Will[/b] is brilliantly constructed and choreographed. The presentation is entertaining, the audience is involved and baffled and you are completely 'clean' at the end. What more could a performer want[/i]?".
[b]Mick Ayres[/b]

"[i]Laurence's [b]Three Will[/b] involves three people, three objects and a spot-on triple prediction. He walks you through the effect and guides you down every side street and alleyway. I am a journalist, the effect is good, the writing is better. This was a joy to read[/i]".
[b]Bobby Warren (robwar0010)[/b]

"[i]There a good number of similar type effects around but this is my choice. The premise and method in [b]Three Will[/b] are justified and it just makes sense. So many variations get bogged down with tricky word play or situational necessities but this is simple, hits hard and is to the point. Plus it's actually fun to perform[/i]".
[b]Adam McClure (Olympic_Adam)[/b]

"[i][b]Three Will[/b] is Laurence's take on a classic effect and is particularly devious, deceptive and easy to perform. I highly recommend this offering, and without giving anything away [b]Three Will[/b] will really get the wheels turning as to other possibilities for its use[/i]".
[b]Gabe Abelson (gabelson)[/b]

"[i]Open ended presentationally speaking, [b]Three Will[/b] uses a clever method and simple technique that isn't about verbally dancing around the matter at hand[/i]".
[b]Iain Dunford (Iain)[/b]

"[i][b]Three Will[/b] is a very entertaining and intriguing routine indeed. There is plenty of interaction with the assisting spectators and Laurence's effect builds upon the original making it that much more powerful. The manuscript itself is set out in commendable detail and helps you understand and see the potential power of [b]Three Will[/b][/i]".
[b]Neil Sommerville (NeilS)[/b]

[b]AVAILABLE NOW VIA PAYPAL:[/b]

Cost: £12.95

[b]Three Will[/b] is a 36 page eBook in PDF format, fully routined with detailed explanations.
Delivery is via email within 24 hours (although usually within 1 hour).

[url=https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=F4SRHXVRNFLXA]To purchase [b]Three Will[/b] right now via PayPal please click here.[/url]

Enjoy,

Laurence Hookway
lhookway@mumza.net
I hope I have the first copy.I can't wait to master it and use it.It is a Outstandingly Clever Effect of Wills.
Could this be done table hopping?
Hi Paul & Stef,

Paul, The primary Three Will effect can be performed table hopping, that's one of the nice things about it. There are 3 alternate handlings. The first 2 are more formal but the last one can be done table hopping also.

Stefmagic could you PM me with more details about Colin's effect? I'm not familiar with it since I think he only gave it to a few people.

Regards,

Laurence
Hi Laurence,
Will this work in other languages or does it use English subtleties?
Thank you,
James
As can be seen above, I was lucky enough to be sent this a while back to review.

I'm always truthful in my reviews for other people.

This is something I have performed and will do so again, it is entirely worth the asking price and there is a lot of thought and care in this piece. One of the main reasons I like it is that it all makes sense, in the eyes of a spectator everything is justified. I feel that some other free will type effects end up looking a little strange when viewed from the outside.

In terms of method, it goes unnoticed that anything could have taken place, everything is in view at all times and it uses the participant's items. It's a very satisfying method to use, you will most likely need to purchase something small to do this but I had it from another effect (used in a different way) so maybe you will too.

This isn't just a few pages thrown together to sell, you can tell it's made with thought and a desire to get others performing, I would have been on the purchasing side of this if I had not got a review copy. Great work!
Sounds interesting. I ordered this about 4 hours ago and am looking forward to receiving it.

Iain.
May the WILL be mine!!

Perhaps I will compare this to a recent giveawy from Jose Prager. I'll call it...

A TEST of WILLS!

J
Everyone,

I try to live my life in a way that if I can't say something nice, then don't say anything at all (except when it comes to politics). If I didn't like the effect, I would not have commented on it.

Laurence invited me in to the review process at an early stage, along with some others. Right away, I was impressed with his writing, his scripting and how he thought everything through. The first version of the effect I saw was 22 pages, now it is up to 36. I have just received the final version, but I have yet to read it. I am eager to see how this effect has evolved with all of the input he received.

Laurence and I shot a ton of emails back and forth during his review and refinement phase of development, and we talked about this effect and other things. Being a journalist, I could not get over how well-written the thing was, never mind it was a great take on the Deddy Corbuzier's Free Will classic. Because Laurence at the time did not have an avatar, I thought he must have been a twentysomething, so I finally had to ask how old he was. Turns out he was older than I had imagined, and those extra years of experience show in his writing and his thinking.

Laurence, thank you for including me.

Bobby
This is a fantastic version of "Free Will". I believe it's stronger (as it's more specific) than the original, and extremely well thought out. Some really great thinking, here, and I've been performing it to great reactions. There is no way for a spec to backtrack this. Strongly recommended!
I am interested in how this compares to Fingers' Free Will of Order and as mentioned earlier to Mcleod's Remarkable Effect. Anyone can comment on this?
Is this effect like Wayne Dobson's Personal FX? If so how does it compare?
[quote]
On 2012-08-06 15:09, gabelson wrote:
This is a fantastic version of "Free Will". I believe it's stronger (as it's more specific) than the original, and extremely well thought out. Some really great thinking, here, and I've been performing it to great reactions. There is no way for a spec to backtrack this. Strongly recommended!
[/quote]

Agree with this, nothing to pick up on for participants and it's much more satisfying to perform in my book
Purchased this a few hours ago for reading before going to bed convinced it was at least worth that.

Hear I am looking over the comments above and have to say I agree with everything that has been said.
I can't imagine someone reading the pdf and not being impressed.

A lot of thought was put into this and the writing is the best I have seen in a pdf which results in a clear understanding of effect and method on the first read through.

Well written and the best published version I am aware of.

Steve
I also have been asked to review the ebook in its early stages and right away was impressed with the first variation - and now, having read the final script, I still am. His use of a special "gimmick" makes the original free will effect far more direct and less arbitrary. Unfortunately, it will most probably work only n English - I have not yet come up with a variation that also works in German.

This is the only drawback I can imagine, the rest is pure gold, very well scripted, explained in detail and enriched with good and clear photos.

well woth the money!

Stefan
The main difference is that my Free Will of Order is much more organic, not requiring anything that couldn't be borrowed anywhere. It only requires the handling of all of the items gathered (the pen, coin, watch and business card). There is an aspect of the new routine that requires something that ends up gimmicky and that the audience is unaware of, and that might not be available at a moments notice without a trip to a specific type of store. And I have never, ever used this item or encountered it before, myself. Therefore, I would say that it would require an act of being prepared to do this at all times.

If this is not a fair comparison, please let me know and delete this post.

Thanks,

Jimmy
Laurence sent me a copy of this effect a little while ago and since then our inboxes have been a buzz with activity, as various ideas and thoughts were exchanged. From all this, and the others Laurence consulted, he has put an enormous amount of work into this effect and release - and the quality shows. Not only is the writing and presentation of Three Will excellent but the script included and alternative versions make this an essential read for anyone interested in performing and taking the Free Will concept further.

Another attraction of Three Will is the patter and inter-action you can have with the spectators, not only in helping to make the effect more entertaining but that much more impressive.

Neil
Jimmy,

As far as Laurence's effect goes, I believe you are correct. However, when you get right down to it, every bit of magic/mentalism requires the performer to be prepared for it, no matter what the level of impromptu is. If your version is totally impromptu, then that is a nice feature. I, too, came up with a totally impromptu version that builds off of a variation posted by Neil S. However, my version is not as strong as Laurence's because his involves a very specific triple prediction involving two helpers and the performer, more than the "you" and "I" gambit.

For me, the need to be prepared is not a problem because I only perform shows (parlor and stage). I don't carry things with me to show my buds or strangers. However, I can do Kolintrol, my version of Free Will and sleight of hand at the drop of a hat, so I am always prepared to perform, I just choose not to.

Bobby
2 helpers have been mentioned but can it still be done 1 on 1 and the effect not be diminished?
Hi Lunatik,

A few people have asked me that same question.

The short answer is that Three Will is deliberately structured for two assistants and the methods rely on two assistants. To try and tweak Three Will for one assistant would be a bit like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole as it were. Imagine doing twisting the aces with three aces rather than four?

There are some very good one-on-one Free Will type effects out there each with their own merits. Colin McLeod's Kolintrol is one I have used a lot. You have Jimmy's Free Will of Order, Bryn Williams's Business Coin Prediction and many others.

Colin has a video of a Free Will effect that he does with his unsuspecting Mom called, [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrGmiTzBy28]Free Will 2: the adventure home[/url]. That's a superb one-on-one Free Will, very direct, easy to understand and hard to beat.

The bottom line is that I didn't want to reinvent wheel. I wanted to try and strengthen the Free Will effect. Referencing a third person in the prediction was one way to do that.

Regards,

Laurence.
Thanks for the clarification!
This is a VERY great effect. I have never been a huge fan of Free Will effects but I love this one. It uses a concept that is entirely new to this type of effect and definitely allows for some clarification that past methods have lacked. The selection procedure is EXTREMELY fair. There never appears to be a tricky moment throughout the whole effect, actually. There is one "move" (which you can't really call a move because literally nothing happens) that you may have to do depending on the circumstance but it is not a switch and it is COMPLETELY invisible. And by that, I mean you can have a camera zoomed on your hands watching in super slow motion and there is nothing to see. The presentation with this makes every thing seem fairer than it ever has before. The selection, the reveal, everything just seems so dang fair!I love this and I will be using it. Great work Laurence
Free Will of Order is still the top of the bunch for me, mainly because it really is an anytime and anywhere effect with borrowed objects that gets great reactions. There's not too many (good) effects like that.

I quite like this effect too and may use it someday but for now I'm sticking with Free Will of Order :)

best
Sean
Ok, I'm totally not a mentalist. But I really like this. Devious method, well thought through, focused subtleties. I smiled as I read the first few pages. This is good, usable stuff (even for a mentalist noob like me).

Great work, Laurence!
[quote]
"[i][b]Three Will[/b] is brilliantly constructed and choreographed. The presentation is entertaining, the audience is involved and baffled and you are completely 'clean' at the end. What more could a performer want[/i]?".
[b]Mick Ayres[/b]

[/quote]

Really Mick, your quote made me smile and I am sure those who own your work will know why.
That is the sort of thing I might offer up.

Thanks, for the smile.

Talk to you soon,

Jim
You're welcome, Jim. Nice of you to notice.

Mick
Hi,

I kind of jumped the gun, without reading further in the manuscript of Laurence's Three Will. There are alternate methods offered that don't require the gimmicking and a special something. They aren't the primary method, according to Laurence, but they are in there, so I can't really say that his method isn't impromptu. I didn't read them all, because, at the time, I didn't realize that there were more than one method included.

I hope that this clarifies any confusion caused by my earlier post.

Thanks,

Jimmy
[quote]
On 2012-08-07 21:31, Mick Ayres wrote:
You're welcome, Jim. Nice of you to notice.

Mick
[/quote]

Well since no one else has asked I will now do so.

Is this not your work but using a 'pen' Mick?

Heck you were at my house when you first laid all of this out to me.

You use a marker for larger groups or a pencil for a calling card.

This uses a 'pen'.

I think it is all well written and thought out considering much of the method is yours.

The rest of it with the two way out is a bit of padding I think.

Heck Mick, you know I have a six way out on a prediction people can hold from the start.
In fact the two way in this presentation is possible with one sheet.
We even talked of how I would do it using things common to my work.
(No switch)

So if you Mick, or others want to shine a light on me please do.

Thanks,

J I'm
I finally bought Three Will. I already own Jimmy Fingers' Free Will of Order and I do have Colin's Remarkable Effect. I have been using Free Will of Order for a LONG time and I have used it as a stand-alone piece or as closer many times. It goes without saying that I am fond of 'free will'-type effects.

I am yet to perform Colin's version but it has lots of potential.

I only read the primary method of Three Will and my review is based on that.

Firstly, the gimmick is not an issue for me and is easily acquired. (I live in UAE and I already own it)

The structure is strong and solid. It is hard to compare this effect to others that are similar without risking exposure. All I say is that this works. Everything is well motivated. There is nothing to hide or see. Like most of Free Will type effects, this will take practice to get the timing down.

I find this routine actually theatrical in itself. It also has comedic moments built-in to it. It is a nice bonus to get all that in one package. Although, for an experienced performer (amateur or professional), this is not an issue, but for someone just starting out or they do not have experience building an act, they have a routine with some nice elements built into it.

Also, this involves an extra audience member which allows it to play bigger. I will not say this is suited for parlor or stage but with some clever thinking, one can adapt to a stage setting.

And as for the price, I think it is very fair.

I know in the impromptu situations and when I am caught off-guard, I will perform Free Will of Order (because I am used to it). Of course, in the proper setting, Colin's version is very strong! But I am yet to practice that.

For more formal performances, Three Will (primary method) fits my style and I am looking forward to road testing this effect.

Good job Laurence.
[quote]
On 2012-08-10 16:32, ash2arani wrote:
...I will not say this is suited for parlor or stage but with some clever thinking, one can adapt to a stage setting....

[/quote]

Already done by Mick Ayres. It's the effect that Three Will was based on.

best,
Sean
'ThreeWill' is based heavily upon 'Location, Location, Location' from PREDICT-ABILITIES (Book Two in the Act-Series). Laurence Hookway's adjustments to LLL change the handling a little but keep the presentation intact. LLL was created as a parlor piece for greater visibility (using a whiteboard) and is the opening demonstration in a complete mental act offered within those pages. Sooo...if anyone is looking for a way to include this effect in an act much of the work has been done for you.

For the sake of historical accuracy, a more intimate version of LLL (using a business card) was published as 'Keep The Change' in Tom Baxter's THE N'WRITER ANTHOLOGY.

In answer to Jim Callahan's querulous post, Laurence did contact me a few weeks ago with a copy of his variation and asked for my approval and endorsement...which I have given. Jim is merely concerned that credit for key aspects of ThreeWill were being misapplied. All is well, though. That being said it is nice to have friends who, in turn, have my back.

Warm regards,
Mick Ayres
Thanks Sean.

I do not own Mick's effect that was referenced in the manuscript. I know it is in his second Act Series book.
Well it is good this has all been sorted now.

J im

H\.o.a-x
Hi there,

In a [url=http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=476683&forum=218&post=7642630]recent post on this thread[/url] Jim Callaghan made a couple of assertions drawing comparison between my effect Three Will (TW) and an effect by Mick Ayres. The assertions Jim made were...

1. That TW is simply Mick's work but using a different item.
2. Much of the method in TW is Mick's work.

I sent a PM to Jim on Aug 8th in response to his post. In my PM I provided Jim with a detailed description of the key differences between TW and LLL. I received a brief response from Jim on Aug 9th in which he told me that he had requested that his post be removed. It is now Aug 13th and Jim's post is still there. Mick Ayres has since responded to Jim's post therefore removal of Jim's original post at this point would serve no useful purpose.

I have received no further response from Jim regarding my PM to him. I am therefore compelled to post my response to Jim's post publicly. Much of what follows was in the PM I sent to Jim on Aug 8th. Jim was also a reviewer of TW, he had full access to the manuscript for TW before its release and Jim and I had corresponded by email prior to his post.

Before Jim made his post I had no idea whatsoever that he held the opinion he does of TW. I wish Jim had spoken with me privately with any particular concerns or observations he had before TW was released rather than choosing to voice his opinion publicly in the manner he did. That is the whole point of reviewing someones effect after all.

Before I released TW I sought Mick's permission to use elements of an effect of Mick's entitled 'Location Location Location' (LLL), which Mick generously granted. Mick was one of my reviewers (the same as Jim was) and I am grateful and appreciative of Mick's feedback and support without which I would not have released TW.

The concept of TW is to the best of my knowledge a "concept" that was originally conceived by Mick and builds upon a concept conceived by [url=http://www.deddycorbuzier.com]Deddy Corbuzier[/url] and realized in his classic Mentalism effect [url=http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/free-will-from-elmwood-magic-p-189.html]Deddy Corbuzier's Free Will[/url].

A concise definition of Mick's "concept" is: '[i]A 'Free Will' type effect that uses two assistants rather than one[/i]'.

A more specific definition of Mick's "concept" is...

1. An effect that requires the assistance of two people.
2. An effect that uses three items as the focus of the effect.
3. An effect that requires the performer to write a single prediction which remains in full view for the entire effect.
4. An effect that requires the two assistants to distribute the three items among themselves and the performer, one item for each person.
5. Ends with the performers written prediction matching the choices made by the two assistants.

Mick uses his "concept" in LLL (which I own) and in another effect of his entitled 'Keep the Change' (KTC). KTC is mentioned briefly at the end of LLL as being an 'impromptu presentation' of LLL. Although I do not own KTC my understanding is that the principle and presentation used in KTC are the same as LLL but that one aspect of the method is different.

I use Mick's "concept" in TW with his permission and endorsement.

LLL, KTC and TW are all: [i]'Free Will' type effects that use two assistants rather than one[/i].

There is [b]A SPECIAL PRINCIPLE[/b] of Mick's used in TW that is unique to LLL/KTC. The way this "principle" is implemented as part of the method in TW is different to the way it is implemented as part of the method in LLL/KTC. The actual use of this "principle" in TW insofar as it pertains to an item used in the presentation of the effect is the same as its use in LLL/KTC. If that sounds rather cryptic I apologize but I cannot disclose any more than that. I am sure that anyone who has TW and either LLL/KTC will understand what "principle" of Mick's I am referring to.

This "principle" is to the best of my knowledge Mick's "principle". I use Mick's "principle" in TW with his permission and endorsement.

Mick's "principle" is only [b]one part[/b] of the primary method employed in TW. It is not used in the three alternate methods presented in TW. These three alternate methods borrow nothing unique to LLL/KTC other than Mick's "concept".

Jim said in his post that in his opinion the three alternate methods presented in TW were "padding".

To clarify, the three alternate methods presented in TW are there for three very specific reasons.

1. To allow the effect to be performed in foreign languages.
2. To allow people an alternate way of performing the primary effect so that it fits their style.
3. To allow for a more personalized prediction.

The only thing these alternate methods presented in TW have in common with LLL/KTC is Mick's "concept". All three alternate methods in TW use a different method and presentation and nothing unique to LLL/KTC.

The differences between TW and LLL/KTC in terms of method and presentation are...

1. The method used by TW uses Mick's "principle" to double the versatility of the prediction.
2. The method by which the prediction is handled in TW is very different to that used in LLL/KTC.
3. The wording of the prediction in TW is very different to that used in LLL/KTC.
4. The method by which items are chosen by the assistants is very different to that used in LLL/KTC.
5. Mick's "principle" is used roughly 15% of the time in TW, in LLL/KTC Mick's "principle" is used roughly 50% of the time.
6. TW uses a business card folded into billet to strengthen the impression that the prediction is tamper proof. KTC also uses a business card but I do not know if it is folded into a billet. If it is then please correct me.

All these differences exist by my design they use nothing unique to LLL/KTC other than Mick's "concept" and his "principle".

There is one very notable difference that no-one has mentioned between TW and LLL/KTC so I shall. In TW after all the items have been assigned by your assistants and just before the prediction is revealed one of your assistants may be given the option of swapping their item for ANY OTHER ITEM. They may swap their item for your item, they may swap their item for the other assistants item or they may decide not to not swap at all. They really do have an entirely free and fair choice as to what item they wish to have.

In LLL/KTC an assistant can swap their item for the other assistants item but they cannot swap their item with your item.

If you are familiar with the [url=http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/free-will-from-elmwood-magic-p-189.html]Deddy Corbuzier's Free Will[/url] which is the granddaddy of TW/LLL/KTC try to imagine a version of 'Free Will' that allows your assistant to swap their chip for your chip OR THE CHIP IN THE BAG. That's essentially what you can do in TW, an assistant may swap their item with your item or with the other assistants item or they may decide not to swap at all.

I am unaware of any published 'Free Will' type effect other than TW that allows an assistant the opportunity to swap their item for any other item and that uses one prediction in the same way that LLL/KTC and Free Will do. If anyone knows of one then please drop me a PM, I would really appreciate it.

I maintain that...

1. TW is not simply, '[i]Mick's work but using a [/i][different item]'.
2. Mick's "concept" and Mick's "principle" are the only elements used in TW that are unique to LLL/KTC.
3. Mick's "principle" is only one element of the primary method used in TW.
4. Mick's "principle" is only used in the primary method for TW.
5. The overall method used in TW is very different to that used in LLL/KTC.
6. The presentation used in TW is very different to that used in LLL/KTC, and necessarily so because the overall method is different.

For these reasons I refute the assertions made by Jim Callaghan that TW is simply Mick's work but using a different item and that much of the method in TW is Mick's work.

The handling of the prediction in TW and specifically KTC are entirely different. It is fair to say that the handling used in TW is easier requiring very little practice but it will not be suitable for everyone because it requires the use of an 'small everyday item' that you may not normally carry on your person or that you may not wish to use in your performance. The handling in KTC is trickier and will require some practice to do properly if you are unfamiliar with the method it uses but once mastered it has lots of other applications and will very likely suit anyone's style.

I have made every effort to discuss this privately with Jim and I have given him ample opportunity to respond to my PM. Without any meaningful response from him I have chosen to respond publicly.

I hope this clarifies the differences as I see them between TW and LLL/KTC. I want potential purchasers of Three Will to make an informed decision as to whether or not to purchase the effect.

I would not have made this post if Jim had not chosen to draw the comparison he did between my work and Mick's work.

For the record Mick's LLL effect is a fantastic realization of his "concept"; LLL is what inspired me to come up with TW. LLL is a strikingly more visual effect because of a key element it uses thus making it ideal for stage or parlor performance. I wanted an effect that used Mick's "concept" but could be performed in a close-up setting with a more 'off the cuff', impromptu feel to it. LLL is best suited for stage and parlor, TW is best suited for close-up, off the cuff performance, it is not suitable for stage or parlor unless your audience is particularly eagle-eyed and can see writing on a business card from 50ft away.

The reasons I came up with TW in the first place are (in no particular order)...

I wanted an effect similar in concept to LLL but for close-up performance. I wanted an effect that used a selection process that was more open-ended and allowed an assistant a truly free and fair choice at the end of the effect. I wanted an effect that required no sleight of hand or required the use of any tricky I was not comfortable using. I wanted an effect that did not require the addition of anything to the single written prediction during performance. I wanted an effect where the prediction could be written in ballpoint pen and folded up. I wanted an effect that allowed me to hand that folded up prediction to the spectator and have them open it up and read it without any apparent jiggery pokery on my part. I wanted an effect that could easily be carried on my person for multiple performances and performed 'off the cuff' with no notice.

I would like to thank Mick Ayres for his continued support and understanding and for allowing me to use his "concept" in TW. Mick is fully credited in TW as being the inspiration for the effect.

I would also like to take this opportunity to offer my thanks and gratitude to those of you that have purchased TW. The feedback I have received has been overwhelmingly enthusiastic and encouraging. Thank you for your support and understanding.

As always, I am happy to answer any questions or queries you may wish to ask me personally.

Thank you for your time.

Regards,

Laurence.
Not sure what you are getting at since I thought this was sorted out as per my post and my PM to you.

Jim

H.O.A-x
"What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun." Ecclesiastes 1:9

Isn't just about everything we do derivative? Bob Cassidy's Fourth Dimensional Telepathy comes from Annemann. Richard Osterlind's Radar Deck, I believe, is an outgrowth of the Koran Deck. How many effects have emerged based on Deddy Corbuzier's Free Will?

Is it OK for some performers to build off of others, while some are prohibited? Did Laurence do something not kosher? Am I missing something that is blatant?

Bobby

update: I see Jim just posted he thought this was sorted out.
I'm happy to have been able to highlight the differences between LLL and Three Will so as to avoid any confusion or misunderstanding in the future.

Regards,

Laurence.
This was an interesting thread.
I have bought many of these routines over the years and would have to see this is the most complete bit of thinking yet. Great job Laurence. Most of instructions for this type of effect run 4 pages or less, this comes in at 35 pages and it's not filler but some real thinking going on.
when I first saw this I was thinking why do I need another version of free will? Well I was wrong, and very happily surprised. Can see using some of this thinking with other versions as well.

Very happy I bought this.

Well done Laurence.

Kevin
Well done indeed! I was really impressed with the level of detail that went into the writing and the overall level of thinking. No stone is left unturned and the effect is great. Nice work, Laurence!
Dear Magic Cafι Members,

I have just released a revised manuscript for 'Three Will', entitled 'Three Will: Sleight of Tongue'.

Firstly, thank you to everyone who reviewed the revised manuscript for me and provided their feedback. Your support is greatly appreciated and has been immensely helpful; thank you all.

'Three Will' uses the concept of, [i]a Free Will type effect that uses two assistants rather than one.[/i]

This concept was originally conceived by [url=http://www.mickayreswares.com]Mick Ayres[/url] and is used in 'Three Will' with Mick's consent and support; thanks Mick.

All owners of 'Three Will' have already been sent the revised manuscript. All future purchasers of 'Three Will' will receive the revised manuscript.

The revision includes a bunch of good stuff, notably the 'item' method [i](you guys that already have 'Three Will' should know what method I am talking about)[/i] has a different handling so that:

• 100% of the time the prediction is [b]completely definitive and unambiguous[/b].
• Both assistants are specified by name on the prediction.
• You do not need to know your assistants names before you perform the effect.
• Roughly 95% of the time you won't even need to touch the prediction after you have written it.
• You [b]always read the prediction[/b], not the assistant.
• The 'item' method does not use, '[url=http://www.deddycorbuzier.com/]Deddy Corbuzier's[/url] [url=http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/free-will-from-elmwood-magic-p-189.html]Free Will principle[/url]'.

Below is the ad copy for 'Three Will'.

[img]http://i46.tinypic.com/34sh6d2.jpg[/img]

[b]THREE WILL PREMISE:[/b]

Is the concept of 'Free Will' a delusion of the mind used to convince ourselves that the decisions we make are our own, that we are in control?

How many of the apparently free choices we make every day are actually already made for us without our knowledge?

'Three Will' poses these questions and proves that for some of us 'Free Will' is nothing more than an elaborate illusion.

[b]THE MAIN THREE WILL EFFECT:[/b]

[quote][i]The performer asks for the help of two assistants and borrows a phone and a wallet from them. The performer himself contributes his keys and all three items are placed on a table.

The performer borrows a pen and a piece of paper and writes a prediction, folds it up and places it on the table in front of one of his assistants announcing that it is for them. The prediction remains in full view for the entire effect and is never touched by the performer again.

The performer turns away and instructs his two assistants to decide which item is given to which person. The performer turns back around and the assistant opens up the prediction. When the prediction is read aloud it reveals that the performer was able to accurately predict which item each person would end up with.[/i][/quote]
Imagine being at a party or a business lunch and someone happens to mention that you have some ‘[i]rather special talents[/i]’. You will inevitably be asked, ‘[i]Could you show us something special[/i]’? If you can write something on a piece of paper then you can go directly into 'Three Will' and show them ‘[i]something [b]REALLY[/b] special[/i]’ indeed.

[b]REQUIREMENTS:[/b]

• No setup.
• No sleight of hand.
• If you can write something on a piece of paper then you can perform the effect.
• Practically impromptu.
• Intended for close-up performance.

[b]TWO ALTERNATE METHODS PRESENTED:[/b]

• Allow for a completely definitive and unambiguous prediction, 100% of the time.
• Roughly 95% of the time you won't even need to touch the prediction after you have written it.
• Both assistants are specified by name on the prediction.
• You do not need to know your assistants names before you perform the effect.
• You always read the prediction, not the assistant; does not use the 'Free Will' principle.
• Some setup is required but the effect may still be performed seemingly, 'off the cuff'.
• May be performed sleight of hand free although a sleight of hand handling is also presented.
• One method is multi-lingual and suitable for any written language; German, French, Spanish or even Klingon.
• One method requires an 'item' that you may already have and is readily available at stores or online for $3-$4.

[b]THREE WILL IS AVAILABLE NOW VIA PAYPAL:[/b]

'Three Will' is a 42 page eBook in PDF format, containing a fully routined and scripted effect with detailed explanations.

[url=https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=F4SRHXVRNFLXA]To purchase '[b]Three Will[/b]' right now via PayPal please click here.[/url]

[b]MAGIC Cafι MEMBER REVIEWS:[/b]

"[i]'Three Will' is brilliantly constructed and choreographed. The presentation is entertaining, the audience is involved and baffled and you are completely 'clean' at the end. What more could a performer want[/i]?"
[b]Mick Ayres[/b]

"[i]Well done indeed! I was really impressed with the level of detail that went into the writing and the overall level of thinking. No stone is left unturned and the effect is great. Nice work, Laurence![/i]"
[b]Cameron Francis[/b]

"[i]A lot of thought was put into this and the writing is the best I have seen in a PDF which results in a clear understanding of effect and method on the first read through. Well written and the best published version I am aware of[/i]."
[b]Steve Haynes[/b]

"[i]Laurence's 'Three Will' involves three people, three objects and a spot-on triple prediction. He walks you through the effect and guides you down every side street and alleyway. I am a journalist, the effect is good, the writing is better. This was a joy to read[/i]."
[b]Bobby Warren (robwar0010)[/b]

"[i]There a good number of similar type effects around but this is my choice. The premise and method in 'Three Will' are justified and it just makes sense. So many variations get bogged down with tricky word play or situational necessities but this is simple, hits hard and is to the point. Plus it's actually fun to perform[/i]."
[b]Adam McClure (Olympic_Adam)[/b]

"[i]'Three Will' is Laurence's take on a classic effect and is particularly devious, deceptive and easy to perform. I highly recommend this offering, and without giving anything away 'Three Will' will really get the wheels turning as to other possibilities for its use[/i]."
[b]Gabe Abelson (gabelson)[/b]

"[i]'Three Will' is a very entertaining and intriguing routine indeed. There is plenty of interaction with the assisting spectators and Laurence's effect builds upon the original making it that much more powerful. The manuscript itself is set out in commendable detail and helps you understand and see the potential power of 'Three Will'[/i]."
[b]Neil Sommerville (NeilS)[/b]

"[i]I'm totally not a Mentalist but I really like this. Devious method, well thought through and focused subtleties. I smiled as I read the first few pages. This is good, usable stuff (even for a Mentalist noob like me)[/i]."
[b]Peter Pitchford[/b]

"[i]I found this routine theatrical with comedic moments built-in to it so it's a nice bonus to get all that in one package. For someone just starting out or with limited experience building an act, they have a ready made routine with some nice elements built into it[/i]."
[b]ash2arani[/b]

"[i]Open ended presentationally speaking, 'Three Will' uses a clever method and simple technique that isn't about verbally dancing around the matter at hand[/i]."
[b]Iain Dunford (Iain)[/b]

[b]THREE WILL IS AVAILABLE NOW VIA PAYPAL:[/b]

'Three Will' is a 42 page eBook in PDF format, containing a fully routined and scripted effect with detailed explanations.

[url=https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_s-xclick&hosted_button_id=F4SRHXVRNFLXA]To purchase '[b]Three Will[/b]' right now via PayPal please click here.[/url]

Best wishes,

Laurence
lhookway@mumza.net
Love the name and the sound of the effect. I'm a big fan of presentations in which a "prediction" is used to introduce the idea of determinism.
I have this and plan to read and review this by next week.
I have to say that the revised version trumps the original version big time. To me, it is by far the cleanest Free Will type prediction and it has no ambiguity at all. Yes, you have the names of participants on the prediction which I personally have never seen before this in a Free Will type effect. The fact that it does not use the Deddy's original principle (for those in the know) makes it a lot better. And more importantly, I think the fact that you ALWAYS read the prediction makes this a lot more powerful. The manuscript was initially amazing, but now, it is much more amazing. Laurence combined two versions of his original manuscript and came up with a diabolical effect. Please note that I am speaking here of the 'item method' Laurence mentions.

The impromptu effect is already great but I am in love with the 'item method'.

And the manuscript is well written. Laurence pays attention to credits and details. Also, he leaves no stone unturned. And this manuscript discusses a LOT of psychological ploys that apply to this effect in particular and can be applied to any other performance.

Laurence not only provides a script that is ready for you (not that you should use it), but he also dissects the script and explains why he says or does something.

Simply put, I highly recommend this.

Great job Laurence :)
This is very well written with nice new insights collated and combined from Mick Ayres and Luke Jermay. I did not see any reference to Jimmy Fingers 'Free Will of Order'...

The thing that always amuses me as that no one ever frames this in terms of the actual debate on free will. Rather, the writing and presentation tends to retreat back to subliminal suggestion. I have been doing free will for years with actual books that have something to say about free will. I have used Marx, Weber and Freud and focus on what each had to say about whether we have free will or not. I am working on a new presentation for this idea, but Three Will does not provide a solution for my particular needs.

This manuscript, however, is superb for anyone wanting an impromptu routine that uses ordinary objects typically carried by people at any event. The manuscript provides many different handlings and ideas to suit your needs.

It would be good if Laurence paid for a banner...

Cheers

Dr Todd
[quote]
On 2012-08-23 02:53, DrTodd wrote:
I have been doing free will for years with actual books that have something to say about free will. I have used Marx, Weber and Freud and focus on what each had to say about whether we have free will or not.

Dr Todd
[/quote]

What a fantastic idea for framing a Free Will presentation. It really adds depth. Great work :)

best,
Sean
This has gotten me thinking in other directions in my own wording of the Three Will effect, which I've shared with Laurence. Overall this was a good read indeed!

~ Nique
I was privileged to receive a review copy of this some days ago. Having read two revisions I was unable to make any additional comment, Laurence has covered every single tiny little detail in depth...

Laurence has taken the classic Free Will effect and made it his own. His take involves 2 members of the audience and they are given every opportunity to exert their free will, yet the prediction (which remains in full view from the start) still stands correct. The pdf is a masterly piece as Laurence goes into finite detail about every action and outcome. Everything is logical and justified. The final prediction is VERY direct and unambigious. There are several presentations each explored in detail and some are down-right devious. Some routines are totally impromtu some require the minimum of preperation (a few seconds). Given the detail, background work, and original approach this is well under priced compared to many pdfs put out these days. If you like the Free Will premise then you will love what Laurence has created. If you were always a little hesitant about performing Free Will then THREE WILL might just convince you to perform this type of effect.

This is an excellent effect that has been well thought through and extremely well written. RECOMMENDED!!!

Derek
[quote]
On 2012-08-23 03:50, Sean Giles wrote:
[quote]
I have been doing free will for years with actual books that have something to say about free will. I have used Marx, Weber and Freud and focus on what each had to say about whether we have free will or not.

Dr Todd
[/quote]

What a fantastic idea for framing a Free Will presentation. It really adds depth. Great work :)

best,
Sean
[/quote]

Thanks Sean...it's part of my new work on Philosophical Mentalism...
Have been working with Three Will for a couple of days now. The pdf is the most comprehensive disertation on this type of effect I've ever seen. EVERY nuance, every possibility, everything is covered in complete detail. Even better the routine makes sense and should play well. (I'll try it out for reat this evening)

An excellent buy.

Ted
Hi All,

Talk about getting into every "nook and cranny." Laurence leaves no question unanswered or ambiguity for you to ponder and provides several methods for achieving a triple prediction. "Three Will" has a lot going for it: the "experiment" is presented within the very interesting context of "subliminal suggestion," it is impromptu, uses borrowed items, multiple volunteers, and leaves the audience mystified. What else could you ask for from a routine?

If you put in the necessary time to learn "Three Will," you will not only have a wonderful stand alone routine, but one that can also be used as an excellent springboard to explore other fascinating and mysterious areas of the mind with your audience!

Regards, Steve
Hi Folks

I received this yesterday and could not wait to sink my teeth in to the manuscript. Talk about detail: Laurence covers every aspect in such depth that learning this is a breeze.

I love routines of this genre (my own routine SWAY uses a similar concept) but the impromptu nature of THREEWILL allows this to be used almost anywhere (preferably in a close-up setting) at anytime.
If you want to perform a knockout effect for an audience, Laurence's routine ticks all the right boxes.

Highly recommended.
[quote]
[quote]

Dr Todd
[/quote]

best,
Sean
[/quote]

For more on this approach, see

http://harvardmagazine.com/2012/09/two-steps-to-free-will

I would also like thank Laurence publicly for a very productive set of exchanges about using his insights and applying them to a new version of my own free will.

Cheers

Dr Todd
Thank you Dr Todd and to everyone that has shared their thoughts on 'Three Will'; it is very much appreciated.

Best wishes,

Laurence.
I just finished reading this. It's very well thought out and every detail has been covered. I can see this being used as a go-to impromptu effect and/or as a set-show piece. Well done.
[quote]
On 2012-08-26 03:20, DrTodd wrote:
[quote]
[quote]

Dr Todd
[/quote]

best,
Sean
[/quote]

For more on this approach, see

http://harvardmagazine.com/2012/09/two-steps-to-free-will

I would also like thank Laurence publicly for a very productive set of exchanges about using his insights and applying them to a new version of my own free will.

Cheers

Dr Todd
[/quote]

thanks for the link, it's fascinating reading.
Just read about 50% of the PDF this past weekend - extremely impressed with the thinking here so far. Super smart.

The quality (as others have said) of the writing and very detailed explanations of the set up and scripting is far beyond most manuscripts.

Frankly I was completely unfamilar with the very clever ideas here - all new to my mind but I admitted do do have a lot of experience with these kinds of equivique effects.

I have more to read as I am taking my time to absorb the 30+ pages of great material here but frankly can't wait to perform this with a small group!

Very clever.
I downloaded this manuscript a few days ago. Immediate reaction? In 2 words - get it. In one word - indispensible.
Read the various reviews on this Forum - they are not exaggerating, this really is that good.
Laurence has taken the modern classic Free Will and thought a lot about it, and worked it to death; the manuscript can only come from the pen of someone who has explores every nuance of this great effect.
There has been some substantial work done with this effect - I greatly admired Jimmy Fingers' Free Will of Order, and for a gimmicked version, Wayne Dobson's Personal FX. So to come up with the finest contribution to the genre is some achievement indeed.
Please note that in the various threads on this genre there is a tendency to confuse Free Will (predicting which of 3 natural items a spectator selects) with the Becker/Maven Invisible Coin effect (one of thee 'invisible' coins selected, then it is 'flipped' to land heads or tails.) Whilst the two do overlap to an inevitable extent - both depend on some form of verbal direction, equivoquι and 6 potential outcomes - they are two different routines.
The main departure here is that 2 spectators are used, not 1, and the performer has seemingly predicted their names. This makes it a richer effect, and theatrical more satisfying.
As has been noted by others, this is a really good read - Laurence has written it engagingly whilst being exhaustive in his examination of every step at every stage. He gives 4 different denouements, some relying on gimmicks, some much cleaner.
Finally, at $10 this 49-page booklet is incredible value for money.
Great thinking, fascinating reading, enjoyable to perform.
Bob Gill, UK
Just placed an order, looking forward to receiving this
Can this be done in a parlor setting or is it meant for close up only?
"Finally, at $10 this 49-page booklet is incredible value for money.
Great thinking, fascinating reading, enjoyable to perform.
Bob Gill, UK "
Isn't 13£, $20?
Hi Glenn,

The £10 was a promo price that I ran for the first 3 weeks.

I changed the price a couple of days ago to £12.95; Bob bought Three Will just before I made that change.

Just a quick note to mention as well that [b]Three Will[/b] is also available as an instant download from...

[url=http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/three-will-by-laurence-hookway-pdf-download-p-14870.html]Jeff Mash @ MJM Magic[/url] and [url=http://www.magicshop.co.uk/p22273/Three_Will_-_Sleight_of_Tongue_-_INSTANT_DOWNLOAD/product_info.html?ref=196]Dominic Reyes @ The Merchant of Magic[/url].

Cheers,

Laurence.
I've using this where I can recently and this is an excellent release, I'm glad to have seen the progression of it making the first release,

This is one of those pieces now where it is so solid and so clear that it's a really powerful and fun thing to perform
Very nice I like this. A friend of mine in Florida told me about it and I Like what I'm seeing. thanks!!
Hello all,

I'm thrilled to announce that [url=http://www.bigblindmedia.com/Three_Will_eBook_p/bbm73.htm]Three Will is now available from Big Blind Media[/url]. Cheers to Owen and Liam for setting things up; thank you chaps.

Regards,
Laurence.
Tried ordering this from several sites. They all require me to sign up for paypal (which I wont, as I don't trust them). The only ones that would allow me to sign out as a guest is mjmmagic, but lo and behold, they charge $92.33 for shipping (of a downloadable PDF.... what gives)

I'm primarily interested in the product because I have been doing a version very similar (at least judging from the description) for years, and if it turns out you published yours first, I will no longer teach my method (assuming they are the same)
So I finally got my hands on Three Will. I am huge fan of the free will plot, and I constantly look for new subleties and wordings.

Three Will is first of all a well written manuscript. A lot of new magic lacks in production value, but not this. Laurence obviously put a lot of work into creating this, and it shows.

If you are new to the free will arena, this manuscript will give you a complete routine complete with everything you need to know, do and say.

If you already know this, there are some subleties in here that you might want to adapt to your own routine. One of the subleties was one of those "why didn't I think of this" moments, which is always a joy. Even if you don't use any of them, you will be inspired by the thinking.

This routine, when it plays out the best way, is a killer. When you have to resort to the worst possible outcome, the manuscript could use some more justification. However, the way it is structured, you very rarely end up in the worst case scenario (there's even a mathematical proof to show you that 90% of the times it will play to it's absolute strengths)

I like routines that you can use close-up and on stage. That way, you get to practise it a lot more, because you can throw it in at a table-hopping gig (if you do these) and build some confidence around your routine. This will get better the more times you do it, and I recommend it.
This sounds like Forced Will from the 21 DVD set.

How is it different?
Hi Jamie, in answer to your question.

The two most significant differences between TW and FW are firstly that TW uses a three way prediction matching 3 people (yourself and your two assistants) with 3 objects. Secondly you don't actually see the items that are chosen by the spectators as they are being chosen; you are turned away so you can't see what choices they are making.

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Laurence.
Thanks Laurence.

Intriguing!

I may well buy this.

Waiting for a few more reviews.
As far as I remember, forced will from 21 requires you to be seated in front of your spectator, putting some limitations to the venue. Three will can be performed anywhere.
An interesting read. But I'll stick with the original.
[quote]
I previously wrote:

An interesting read. But I'll stick with the original.
[/quote]
On second thoughts, there's some mileage in "Let's Get More Specific."

Laurence, PM'd ya with an additional thought.
Cheers for the comments Randy, much appreciated.

Hopefully some of the stuff you find in TW will spur ideas that you can incorporate into other effects.

Regards,

Laurence.
Should b brought back to life.
Hi everyone

Can this be done in another language than english, french for example ?