(Close Window)
Topic: New Effect
Hey guys,

I worked with my Friend Devont on his effect. It will be available at most shops and preorders are open.

Here is the trailor, hope you all enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll06krUV_cw&feature=plcp

best,

Six
Says no gimmicks? Very interesting.
I clicked this thread despite the fact that the subject line -- "New Effect" -- told me nothing about it.

I read the first post and, despite still having no idea if it was a card trick, a coin trick, a stage illusion, something completely uninteresting to me, I clicked the YouTube link.

I watched the inevitable artsy intro material -- with the company logo, then the magician standing on what looks like a dumpster in a graffiti-strewn alley -- before any description of the effect began.

...despite all of that, I'm interested. :lol:

I'll be interested to see some reviews of this effect, especially if the promises made are accurate. An unedited performance video would be very cool, too.
The trailer says: No forcing, no sleight of hand, no memorization and absolutely no gimmicks...!

I'm intrigued... (I could easily accomplish the effect with gimmicks or sleight of hand...)

Looking forward to the reviews of this

AM
It appears to me to use a brainwave deck...but maybe not?
Not if the "No R&S," "No gimmicks of any kind" stuff on the System 6 web site is true.
French Drop, it is all true. Murphys magic actually reccomended we put that in there. We just figured mentioning normal cards would suffice but hey they know better then Devonte or I do lol.

Christoper, no brainwave deck but you could accomplish the same effect with it. This effect has many great bonuses. What if you cant get to a magic shop before your gig? The spectators also can handle the cards as well, which also makes it seemingly more Impossible for the spectators.

I also wasnt putting this to sell it, as you can see lol I was more interested in sharing it. :) But, id be more then happy to answer any questions of have Devonte jump on the forum and answer them.

Best,

Six
Here's something I wonder: Can the second deck -- where the selected card appears -- be used as a normal deck (and handled by spectators) in subsequent effects? And could the first deck -- the one the card is selected from -- be a gimmicked deck used for previous effects?

I'm just thinking, if the above is true, the effect would not only be a very impressive bit o' magic, but a convenient and organic way to switch from a gaffed deck to a regular one (or one that will pass as regular) in the middle of a card magic act.

Tall order, but as long as we're in the stages of speculating about the effect and its methods (as per the "Latest and Greatest" forum's stated purpose :D), I thought I'd ask.
So I have a question: Is this a free choice of decks or a MC? I'm guessing MC.

Still - cool plot, and no gimmicks??? Hmmm.
Frenchdrop, Im loving the way you think right now :) You could us a gimmicked deck for the first deck, and then work into the other deck where the selection appears. The only criteria about letting it be spectator handled, may be limited, but then again they can handle the deck, Its hard as I cant reveal the workings of the effect. Does that make any sense? lol

You can do effects with the deck where the cards appear though, but again can be limited. Then again it wouldnt be too crazy to get into a position where it gets back to a full usable deck, just would take some creativy on your part. If you purchase, write to me and Id be happy to create some ideas with you.

Sorry I have to be so vague, don't want to give anything away, especially since it isn't my effect.

@Saysold1 Good question, technically its not a magicians choice, but it can be perceived as it. Its only two objects, so magicians choice doesn't apply, do you know what I mean? No matter which deck they pick, you have soemthing to do it with it.

Whats great about it, is that you can also be creative with this effect, especially for trade shows or branding. Someone contacted almost immediatley after murphys put it on their site so they can do it in a trade show and not have to use an invisible/brainwave deck.
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=49799

DESCRIPTION

The spectator is asked to choose between a red deck and a blue deck of cards. Let's pretend they chose the blue deck. The blue deck is placed inside their pocket (or handed to a friend to hold) until later.

The red deck is slowly spread between your fingers as the spectator is asked to merely think of any card they see. Keep in mind this is a 100% completely free choice!

Without ANY funny moves the card completely vanishes!

Next you ask them to remove the blue deck from their pocket, they are surprised to see that inside is one red card, the mentally chosen card. Strong enough for any Professional act, Easy enough for a Beginner.
NO Forcing Card Selections
NO Rough and Smooth
NO Misprinted Cards
NO Switching Decks
NO Sleight of Hand
NO Memorizing
NO Gimmicks of ANY kind and NOTHING is ever written down.
Use ANY style deck.

"a great rendition of a Classic, absolutely brilliant"
- Doug Edwards
That blurb, "a great rendition of a classic," is really intriguing. Is this a new application of an old method, or is it a new method for an old effect (Brainwave, for example)?

Lots of fuel for speculation here, which is what this forum's all about. :D I really look forward to seeing some reviews!
Hmmmmmm Color me Intrigued.
Doing a gimmicked version of this trick would be cool... the spectator could have a brainwave deck in their pocket... and the other deck would be double sided cards (26 random cards x2 on one side... the other 26 x2 random cards on the other). this would mean that each card would have a duplicate so you couldn't do a full fan.

for the performance, you tell the spectator to remember a card as you fan through the deck. spread slowly so that ideally they think of a card in the first half of the deck. then put the deck down on the table and deal the cards off the top of the deck, one at a time, and tell them to say stop when they see their card. you'll deal through the whole and they will not have seen their card. you then ask them what card they were thinking of... they tell you... you pretend to be puzzled and look back through the deck in a fake attempt to locate their card. then you ask them to hand you the deck from their pocket... and you pull out their card from the deck that was in their pocket the whole time.

an additional subtlety to that trick would be to only use 51 cards... cut the deck a few times after they've selected their card... then tell the spectator that you'll be counting each card that is dealt and tell them to remember the number that their card is dealt on, but not to let the magician know when they've seen their card dealt. you'll deal through the whole deck and the spectator will not see their card. additionally, you pretend to look puzzled by the fact that there's only 51 cards and that one card must be missing (their card). then you pull the missing card out of the other deck that was in their pocket the whole time.

then quickly put both decks away before they can ask to examine them (and ideally have 2 other real decks in that same pocket).

alternatively, it could be done as a packet trick. basically a better ending to strange travellers.
I guess people will have to buy it and see.
.... (continued)

also just realized that if the spectator was selecting a card from a "red" deck (really a red boxed deck)... then the red card could appear face down in the blue brainwave deck. so you can spread through the blue deck, find one red backed card... and it was the card that they were thinking of. you can then also show the faces of the cards in the blue deck (and it wont matter if you spread the cards cleanly while showing the faces of the blue deck and you'll actually have 51 different cards left in the blue deck). so by forcing 1 of 26 cards.. you actually end up a bit cleaner than a traditional brainwave deck because you can show the faces of the cards too if you want.
Adam,

Great thinking! Originaly we played with the idea of gimmicks. Devonte and I discussed this effect so many times, and just felt normal cards would be best for us. To be honest you don't know how many times I got to gig and left behind my invisible deck or Peter's Duffies vanished and gone. This kind of allowed us to get both from normal cards.

Keep up the great thinking!

-Six
[quote]
On 2012-08-19 23:34, FrenchDrop wrote:
That blurb, "a great rendition of a classic," is really intriguing. Is this a new application of an old method, or is it a new method for an old effect (Brainwave, for example)?

Lots of fuel for speculation here, which is what this forum's all about. :D I really look forward to seeing some reviews!
[/quote]

Missed this! The thought of card traveling from one deck to another isn't Devontes. Others have done so with gimmicked cards or with just one gimmicked deck. This includes a new idea, and an adaption of a classic Idea. Its just disguised in a great way! :) To be honest we don't think anyone would have made the connction but we mention the classic in the DVD.
Since there is no gimmick, what do I get in the package?
Sounds too good to be true. Will be looking for reviews of this.
[quote]
On 2012-08-20 01:05, SIX wrote:
Adam,

Great thinking! Originaly we played with the idea of gimmicks. Devonte and I discussed this effect so many times, and just felt normal cards would be best for us. To be honest you don't know how many times I got to gig and left behind my invisible deck or Peter's Duffies vanished and gone. This kind of allowed us to get both from normal cards.

Keep up the great thinking!

-Six
[/quote]

if you can accomplish the same effect with normal cards, it would be 100x better than the routine I described above. especially if it's easy enough for a beginner. I'm excited to see the full presentation of the trick you've put together because I can't really think of how it could be done with the restrictions that you've listed. can't wait to see what you've come up with!
[quote]
On 2012-08-20 01:16, ahzhe wrote:
Since there is no gimmick, what do I get in the package?
[/quote]

Hey :) Its a dvd.
Hi Six. Seeing as its a DVD, will this also be made available as a download to save on international shipping, etc?
The title of this thread will make it somewhat challenging to look up in the future.

Sounds really interesting. The plot is actually similar to the Get Sharky alternate performance (seen/thought of card disappears) I do - but with the revelation being made in the specs deck hands off. Cleaner and Better if this plays as decribed.

I'm also wondering if the method to this is similar to some packet effects where a seen card goes missing - I think Gordon Bean and others have tried this. Curious if this uses a similar method.
Similar to perhaps "Limited Edition"? Or something by Larry Jennings...
Hey Six,
Has this DVD been released yet? I may be mistaken but I remember being at Rogers in Queens a year or two ago and seeing the effect for sale. Is this the same dvd/method? If so I remember you guys jamming on the idea several years back and being fooled by it.
Best of luck with the release,
Tatanka
Love this thread
Any idea when this will be released?
Don
Magicman1, its available now for presale on the system 6 magic website, should ship within in a few days. :)

Tatanka, where have you been bro??! lol Yes its that effect, with updated ideas, clear explanations and better filmed ;-) The other one never actually was released. Nice to hear it fooled you also :-P

-Six
Is there going to be a video released of the full performance with no edits or cuts?

have you sent this to anyone to review?
Could you give us a website link ???

Thanks

[quote]
On 2012-08-20 17:00, SIX wrote:
Magicman1, its available now for presale on the system 6 magic website, should ship within in a few days. :)

Tatanka, where have you been bro??! lol Yes its that effect, with updated ideas, clear explanations and better filmed ;-) The other one never actually was released. Nice to hear it fooled you also :-P

-Six
[/quote]
http://www.system6magic.com/collections/tricks/products/juxtaposition-by-devonte-rosero
A little pricey for a 1 trick DVD but if it is as good as it looks, might be worth it but will wait to see if any reviews come out on it later

Don
[quote]
On 2012-08-20 01:09, SIX wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-08-19 23:34, FrenchDrop wrote:

[/quote]

Missed this! The thought of card traveling from one deck to another isn't Devontes. Others have done so with gimmicked cards or with just one gimmicked deck. This includes a new idea, and an adaption of a classic Idea. Its just disguised in a great way! :) To be honest we don't think anyone would have made the connction but we mention the classic in the DVD.
[/quote]

Reminds me of "Prediction from Bombay" by Eddie Joseph
Six-

Can you answer this?

For the revelation deck that is held in the spctator's hand or pocket - does that deck then get handed over at revelation time to the Magician for the final reveal?

Or does the spectator control the deck and show the revelation at the end in their own hands?

This is a fairly simple questions and hopefully should not reveal the methodology.

Thanks.

BRETT
If it is a card they are merely thinking of and then vanishes from the deck. Then what card are they holding at the end of the video it looks as though they are comparing it to the card from the untouched deck. I'm confused by the wording or the video.
Quick update for you guys, if you visit the site and join the mailing list at the bottom of the page you will get my FREE handling of TIVO card transpo.

It will be sent out tomorrow morning, but just giving you guys a heads up. Here is the link to see the performance :)

http://youtu.be/NfGkB2suknQ
Nice transpo! The music in that video's very familiar...what's that from?
I think the stove is getting too warm lol. Change the subject.
[quote]
On 2012-08-20 19:37, saysold1 wrote:
I think the stove is getting too warm lol. Change the subject.
[/quote]

Hey, you lost me on that one lol
[quote]
On 2012-08-20 19:37, FrenchDrop wrote:
[/quote]

It is familiar....cant say where from yet ;-) Tomorrow morning will let you know :-P
[quote]
On 2012-08-20 18:07, saysold1 wrote:
Six-

Can you answer this?

For the revelation deck that is held in the spctator's hand or pocket - does that deck then get handed over at revelation time to the Magician for the final reveal?

Or does the spectator control the deck and show the revelation at the end in their own hands?

This is a fairly simple questions and hopefully should not reveal the methodology.

Thanks.

BRETT
[/quote]

Brett, the other comment makes sense now haha Its best if the magicians does it, but the spectator does take the cards out of the box and they could do what you asked. When the magicians does it, its more amazing because because there is a built in feature of the revaltion before the selection is ever named. Its a great piece of psycholgy. Yet, if you performance style wants them to find there card with our ever naming it, they just take it out, it is possible. I personally wouldnt though. Again, hope that makes sense lol

Six
[quote]
[/quote]

dexter
http://www.facebook.com/pages/System-6-Magic/417056735019357

Our facebook page also if anyone is on facebook :)
[quote]
On 2012-08-20 19:52, AdamChance wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

dexter
[/quote]
That's it! I knew it was from some creepy TV show I like. :D
Haha well there goes our contest idea :-P We were going to do it tomorrow. Have to make it harder we see lol
Hmmm

$30 seems a high price for a single effect , which in the good old days a creator like Nick Trost would write up in a book in about 2 pages but then again if demand and supply allows that price to succeed, then good for the creators.

Naturally marketing wording are coming into play to promote sales but can lead the less well read to think that the impossible is happening .

Having read the effect description , it took a few minutes to re create the effect exactly using a couple of principles applied in other effects. Now I maybe using completely different principles BUT here are some pointers from my version

Magicians Force - Yes or No ? My definition of a magician force is one where each deck has a specific task rather than be inter changeable . Therefore MF is applied here , however unlike other MF applications there is no ambiguous wording to suggest that the force is being used.

No gimmicks and ANY DECK - This may lead some to think I can rush and take out a red and blue deck and away we go .. As an example of market wording - If I have say a red deck made up of 52 Ace of Spades - This can be created using any deck , no rough or smooth , and no special/gimmicked cards .. However I would consider it a gimmicked deck .. Please note this is not the principle applied but an example of how wording can lead a buyer to see things through rose tinted glasses.

Think of any card - Effects such as Peter Duffies "vanished and Gone " any thought of card vanishes from deck, however to be clear here - It is any card the spectator can SEE - there is a difference though in the spectators mind they are the same.

With good spectator management the pocket deck can be handled in a limited way by the spectator .. However it is limited .

Given the limited spectator handling of these 2 ANY DECKS , the question is raised

Why not use just an Invisible deck for a 1/3 of the price ..for a thought of card to be the only different card in a deck you take from your pocket.

Or combine Duffie's Vanished and Gone effect ( This allows a spectator to think any card , when he holds a deck of card and then the spectator deals through it to prove it has vanished and can handle freely, not limited handling ) , Then use the invisible deck to show it has traveled to the other deck .

The point that this effect avoids using rough and smooth and special cards is moot when the spectator cannot handle the second deck freely .

For the price I feel customers should be given a clear view of what they are getting .

regards

Andy
Andy, its wonderful to see magicians be critical of effects these days. I couldn't agree more with a lot of what you said. I will just share my view point in each item as an individual. I cant speak for anyone or thing, but myself. Now I know the Café is know for arguments and what not, but this is not one lol I agree with what you said, to be honest I used to fight for these kind of things, but I can only share what I have personally learned over time. I am in no way trying to change your mind, just share another view. This kind of stuff is touchy as its all relevant to times, situations and etc.

$30 being pricey is a weird statement, but not in any way a bad statement. I studied business and one thing I learned was a price is only relevant to the individual. To someone in the desert dying of thirst a $100 bottle of water is well worth it, yet to someone swimming in fresh water springs, most likely not the case. Someone called asking when the trick will be available as its perfect fr his tradeshow, for him its beneficial, for the person who throws stuff in their desk, its most likely not. Yet, your also not paying for just a secret, but the performers mind set and way he thinks. I tend to perform a lot of my own material, yet I study magicians like Tamariz, because his way of thinking about methods and effects is whats important to me, not the method. Again, its just me, I cant speak for everyone.

The good old days, are unfortunately long gone. Personally, I was fortunate enough to get into magic just before the online craze struck and books became my life. There is a pattern going on here, which is by no fault the creators nor the magic companies producuing them. What happened was they would sell these VHS/DVDs and wouldnt sell much, this was near the end of that kind of production...Now the cost of producing a good magic DVD averages out around five grand. That includes all shipping cost, production cost, design and very little advertising. This is for a single dvd. Now 90% of magic we can figure out these days due to video, pausing and etc. Now does that mean the effect would not be worth it, just because you figure it out...Unfortunately these days no matter how good an idea is, once its figured out people say "no need to buy, I know it". This means that everyone loses out and the people watching the video win...The creator then loses his idea, and whoever put the money up to film it loses out if they don't make the five grand back. Usually the creators hope to profir from their ideas otherwise why release it, you profit more from keeping the secret. Magic these days is no longer about secrets, everyone feels entitled to know how anything is done..I cant answer why.

I can see your viewpoint on gimmicks, for me a gimmick is something thatI have to contiounsly buy if I exhaust it. It is also something Id have to buy and cant recreate on my own by very simple means. A lot of magic is heading towards gimmicls mainly because they cant be ripped off easily, its sad but true. Paul Harris tends to release items like this because even if you figure out the secret, you have to buy the gimmick to perform it. With effects like this its scary because there is no gimmick and you can set it up on your own without any issue. Again, its just the market and the way its heading. Dealers don't control the market, the buyers do. If people wanted multiple effect dvds they would be selling a lot more then the one effect videos, yet its just not that way. I again, cant answer why, I do miss the good old days and plan to remarket items like that. Starting with my personal material I just filmed last night.

The issue with using Vanished and Gone and or an invisible deck is two fold. What happens if you don't have the decks, its easy to run to a store and get a couple decks versus finding an invisible deck at a gig. DVD is $30, playing cards vary depending on brand and location...Yet invisivble decks and vanished and gone cost a high amount of money which you would have to replace over time, in the long run $30 now would save you more money then that approach, we did the math lol Devonte and I also perform for a living, I assume you do as well just from you frame of thought. You and I both know that one walk around gig could kill an invisible deck, either drinks on tables, people grabbing cards and crumpling them to hide them or the many other millions of factors.

The spectators can handle the cards freely in a normal way, but there is some restriction, a spectator can never touch and invisible deck, little details like this make a difference for the performer and the audience. Its building a layer of deception, which I learned from Asi Wind. I will speak to him and doa video with him so he can share that viewpoint more clearly then I could.

I don't know if I missed anything, but thank you so much for taking to the time to write your post. Its not only important for magicians to hear but also companies to here as well. We are in a new era were the good old days are just the old days now. Its the same thing in every industry as the only thing that does not change, is change itself. Is it for the better or worse, well that's a persepective.

Thanks Andy, and please keep in touch, look forward to hopefully meeting one day if your ever in NYC.

Best,

Six

[quote]
On 2012-08-21 02:36, a brown 1968 wrote:
Hmmm

$30 seems a high price for a single effect , which in the good old days a creator like Nick Trost would write up in a book in about 2 pages but then again if demand and supply allows that price to succeed, then good for the creators.

Naturally marketing wording are coming into play to promote sales but can lead the less well read to think that the impossible is happening .

Having read the effect description , it took a few minutes to re create the effect exactly using a couple of principles applied in other effects. Now I maybe using completely different principles BUT here are some pointers from my version

Magicians Force - Yes or No ? My definition of a magician force is one where each deck has a specific task rather than be inter changeable . Therefore MF is applied here , however unlike other MF applications there is no ambiguous wording to suggest that the force is being used.

No gimmicks and ANY DECK - This may lead some to think I can rush and take out a red and blue deck and away we go .. As an example of market wording - If I have say a red deck made up of 52 Ace of Spades - This can be created using any deck , no rough or smooth , and no special/gimmicked cards .. However I would consider it a gimmicked deck .. Please note this is not the principle applied but an example of how wording can lead a buyer to see things through rose tinted glasses.

Think of any card - Effects such as Peter Duffies "vanished and Gone " any thought of card vanishes from deck, however to be clear here - It is any card the spectator can SEE - there is a difference though in the spectators mind they are the same.

With good spectator management the pocket deck can be handled in a limited way by the spectator .. However it is limited .

Given the limited spectator handling of these 2 ANY DECKS , the question is raised

Why not use just an Invisible deck for a 1/3 of the price ..for a thought of card to be the only different card in a deck you take from your pocket.

Or combine Duffie's Vanished and Gone effect ( This allows a spectator to think any card , when he holds a deck of card and then the spectator deals through it to prove it has vanished and can handle freely, not limited handling ) , Then use the invisible deck to show it has traveled to the other deck .

The point that this effect avoids using rough and smooth and special cards is moot when the spectator cannot handle the second deck freely .

For the price I feel customers should be given a clear view of what they are getting .

regards

Andy
[/quote]
Nice post Six makes a lot of sense , looking forward to this release
I would just like to point out that you wouldn't be able to do this effect 100% with an invisible deck and vanished and gone. It would only work 50% of the time.
[quote]
On 2012-08-21 17:57, nanaswan wrote:
Nice post Six makes a lot of sense , looking forward to this release
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2012-08-21 18:37, MagicMaddy wrote:
I would just like to point out that you wouldn't be able to do this effect 100% with an invisible deck and vanished and gone. It would only work 50% of the time.
[/quote]

You sir are correct :)
Thanks six for taking the time to write your response, appreciated.

With regard to Vanished and Gone..

I revised the original handling to go from 50% to 100% .
[quote]
On 2012-08-22 01:01, a brown 1968 wrote:
Thanks six for taking the time to write your response, appreciated.

With regard to Vanished and Gone..

I revised the original handling to go from 50% to 100% .
[/quote]

Not a problem at all :) that's great that you revised the original handling in that way, would love to hear more about it.
[quote]
On 2012-08-20 20:00, FrenchDrop wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-08-20 19:52, AdamChance wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]

dexter
[/quote]
[/quote]
Yes, I heard you were a fan of all things creepy :lol:
[quote]
On 2012-08-25 10:27, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-08-20 20:00, FrenchDrop wrote:
[/quote]
Yes, I heard you were a fan of all things creepy :lol:
[/quote]
Yep! Sure am. I think a lot of magicians probably are. Do you not like Dexter or that kind of show?
Any reviews yet?
It's still pre order AFAIK.
It should be availiable now!
I received mine yesterday and hope to look at it today.
Cool. Please let us know your opinion!
Yes please do. I won't be ordering this unless it becomes available in the UK.
I have now watched the DVD in its entirety. I like this very much. I have not reread the thread but I think everything said about the effect is accurate. There is no sleight of hand or gimmick. The method is clever. I think a lot of people will buy this and actually use it. To a lay person this will hit hard. I definitely recommend it.
I won't be ordering this unless it becomes available in Botswana.
[quote]
On 2012-08-29 13:19, brehaut wrote:
I have now watched the DVD in its entirety. I like this very much. I have not reread the thread but I think everything said about the effect is accurate. There is no sleight of hand or gimmick. The method is clever. I think a lot of people will buy this and actually use it. To a lay person this will hit hard. I definitely recommend it.
[/quote]
Thanks brehaut. And yet another pointless post by zombie, or whatever your name is.
[quote]
On 2012-08-29 13:15, pegasus wrote:
[/quote]

And yet another pointless post by pegasus, or whatever your name is.

All future pointless Café posts will be known as a pegasus!
[quote]
On 2012-08-29 13:19, brehaut wrote:
[/quote]

Glad you received it so quickly and enjoyed it! Have fune with it :) We will also be putting together bonus videos through out the future of our favorite ideas we receive and etc.

All the best,

Six
Brehaut-

Thanks for the feedback - respect your insights.

How would this effect be on pocket space requirements at a strolling gig?
[quote]
On 2012-08-29 15:25, saysold1 wrote:
Brehaut-

Thanks for the feedback - respect your insights.

How would this effect be on pocket space requirements at a strolling gig?
[/quote]

Two deck of cards
[quote]
On 2012-08-29 15:04, Zombie Magic wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-08-29 13:15, pegasus wrote:
[/quote]

And yet another pointless post by pegasus, or whatever your name is.

All future pointless Café posts will be known as a pegasus!
[/quote]

Do you actually have a life outside this forum? I suggest not. Go find one.
[quote]
On 2012-08-29 16:59, pegasus wrote:

Do you actually have a life outside this forum? I suggest not. Go find one.
[/quote]

OOPS...you made a pegasus again. Have your Mum change your nappie and come out to play with the big boys after you've had a biscuit.
What a treat to watch the pot and the kettle bickering over whose posts are the more pointless.
[quote]
On 2012-08-29 18:15, FrenchDrop wrote:
What a treat to watch the pot and the kettle bickering over whose posts are the more pointless.
[/quote]
Oh no not another one, please go away.

Anyway, any more reviews? I assume others have this by now.
[quote]
[/quote]
The most ironic post in the history of the Café.
[quote]
On 2012-08-30 09:21, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
[quote]
[/quote]
The most ironic post in the history of the Café.
[/quote]

Lol. Well spotted Jamie.
Jamie's only posts in this thread have been to ask me about liking creepy TV shows and to make a gratuitous attack on me.

You guys are not exactly disproving my last post. :lol:
I've noticed that this is still pre-order on both sites that are selling this effect.
Holy $#!T!!! Ladies & Gentlemen... a Four-Way Pegasus! And you saw it here first!!!
--Dan Harlan
Who rattled your cage Dan?
[quote]
On 2012-08-19 17:52, SIX wrote:
Hey guys,

I worked with my Friend Devont on his effect. It will be available at most shops and preorders are open.

best,

Six
[/quote]

Congratulations on Juxtaposition. We're looking forward to reviews as the shops start to get them in. If the positive comments so far are any indication, it will be a very popular trick!
[quote]
On 2012-08-30 13:28, DanHarlan wrote:
Holy $#!T!!! Ladies & Gentlemen... a Four-Way Pegasus! And you saw it here first!!!
--Dan Harlan
[/quote]

Good one! :)
It still says pre-order at murphy's.
[quote]
--Dan Harlan
[/quote]

Its an honor that my post was able to produce this!! :-D *Teardrop* Im so proud. :-P
[quote]
On 2012-08-30 13:36, Zombie Magic wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-08-19 17:52, SIX wrote:
Hey guys,

best,

Six
[/quote]

Congratulations on Juxtaposition. We're looking forward to reviews as the shops start to get them in. If the positive comments so far are any indication, it will be a very popular trick!
[/quote]

Thank you so much :) The shops should be getting them very soon, the shipment was already sent to Murphys and should be in motion :)
[quote]
--Dan Harlan
[/quote]
Didn't you just make it a five-way?

I'm telling you, man, it's insidious. :lol:
Oh, ya caught me... trying to sneak the old Penta-Pegasus by you! Back on topic... this effect looks like it plays strong and is practical. Reminds me of stuff I've played around with and deemed "too good" to share with others since they might not realize the power of elegant simplicity. I wish you great success with this!
--Dan Harlan
Now, back to my cage...
I'm looking forward to seeing some reviews, but I'm leaning toward it -- especially if it could be used the way I mentioned earlier, as a convenient, natural way to switch from using one deck to another in the middle of a card act.
[quote]
On 2012-08-30 17:04, DanHarlan wrote:
Oh, ya caught me... trying to sneak the old Penta-Pegasus by you! Back on topic... this effect looks like it plays strong and is practical. Reminds me of stuff I've played around with and deemed "too good" to share with others since they might not realize the power of elegant simplicity. I wish you great success with this!
--Dan Harlan
Now, back to my cage...
[/quote]

Dan, thank you so much! Elegant simplicity is a beautiful way to put it.

Well wishes,

Six
Hey Six. Will these DVD's be heading over the pond to places like the UK and Botswana? Or is this strictly US only? Thanks for any info.
I talked the last days with Michael (via email). Thanks for that support.
I've placed my order yesterday and I will let you know my thoughts as soon as I got the DVD. Could take some days... I am from Germany. ;)
[quote]
On 2012-08-31 02:18, pegasus wrote:
Hey Six. Will these DVD's be heading over the pond to places like the UK and Botswana? Or is this strictly US only? Thanks for any info.
[/quote]

You can always order it, the shipping and handling is only a few dollars difference from U.S shipping. Murphys is the distrubuter on the dvd SO I'm sure it will end up over there. Just have to check your local shops.

Thanks! :)
[quote]
On 2012-08-31 02:53, BigSmile wrote:
I talked the last days with Michael (via email). Thanks for that support.
I've placed my order yesterday and I will let you know my thoughts as soon as I got the DVD. Could take some days... I am from Germany. ;)
[/quote]

Yes many talks, which I enjoyed very much! You are more then welcome. It will be shipped in the next few minutes, hopefully you can get it asap.

Speak soon,

Michael
[quote]
On 2012-08-30 14:38, Danny Kazam wrote:
[/quote]

I know I said it before, but it still says it's pre-order. I never pre-order anything.

PRE-SALE NOTE: Please be aware that this Item is available for Pre-Orders only. This item is currently not in stock. Contact a Sales Rep. for expected arrival date.
[quote]
On 2012-08-31 10:54, Danny Kazam wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-08-30 14:38, Danny Kazam wrote:
[/quote]

I know I said it before, but it still says it's pre-order. I never pre-order anything.

PRE-SALE NOTE: Please be aware that this Item is available for Pre-Orders only. This item is currently not in stock. Contact a Sales Rep. for expected arrival date.
[/quote]

Yep, Murphys hasnt received their shipment yet, its in transit. So they don't tak down preorder until they have it in their own possesion.
Thanks for the info Six. I don't know why, I think for security reasons, anything mailed from the States seems to take forever. It's only happened over the last year or so, I believe it was in response to the IED device found inside the printer cartridge on board a cargo aircraft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cargo_planes_bomb_plot
Sometimes packages from the US (to Germany) take only 8 to 10 business days to arrive. Sometimes it takes up to 4 weeks. The last weeks shipping was very fast...
[quote]
On 2012-08-31 10:52, SIX wrote:
Yes many talks, which I enjoyed very much! You are more then welcome. It will be shipped in the next few minutes, hopefully you can get it asap.

Speak soon,

Michael
[/quote]
Can't wait to watch the DVD. :)

Perhaps you should remove the "PRE-ORDER" status on your website.
By the way: Where is the soundtrack from we can hear on the demo video? I like it very much!
Penguin has Juxtaposition n stock, so Murphy's must have shipped to all the dealers:

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14693
Wow, this looks almost EXACTLY like an effect we've been selling here at MJM Magic for over SEVEN YEARS called Mental Crossover, only our price is less than $10.00 and we've been marketing this since 2005.

I welcome Devonte and others to check it out and see what I mean:

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/mental-crossover-p-59.html

To be fair, I have not reviewed Devonte's DVD, but looking at the demo and Ad Copy, it would appear at first glance that this method is the EXACTLY same. Devonte, if you would like to contact us in private to discuss your method, please do so.....because it would appear as if this is a direct copy of something that we have been selling for quite a long time now as a download to our customers for way less than the cost of your product.

If this is truly a different effect, I welcome you to contact me so that we can clear up any confusion between our two products.

EDIT: I should say that if your method doesn't involve a c**l, then it may be a different handling of our effect. I noticed that you advertise "no sleight of hand" so if yours doesn't rely on the use of a c**l when handling the cards, then let me know because that may be the difference.
I just ordered Juxtaposition on special from Hank Lee for $21 and no shipping because it was a pre-order. It is his Magic 1 special for this week. I will be happy to review it when I receive it, but that is likely to be some time from now.
@Jeff:
I think from what I know and what I've seen the presentation is slightly different.

In your version (I like the demo by the way) the spectator chooses a card from one deck. Then you look at the second deck and there is one card missing - the selected card. When you go through the first deck you see that the selection has a different colored back.

I think Juxtaposition goes like this: Spectator chooses a card from the first deck. This card disappears from the first deck to be shown in the second deck with a different colored back.

So at least there is a difference in the presentation. But I will buy your download anyway because the c**l is my favourite move and your routine looks fantastic (too).
One little note:
If you watch the demo closely you could figure out how Mental Crossover is done. From just reading the ad and watching the trailer of Juxtaposition it could be the same concept but with a different handling.
[quote]
On 2012-09-04 15:34, Jeff_Mash wrote:
Wow, this looks almost EXACTLY like an effect we've been selling here at MJM Magic for over SEVEN YEARS called Mental Crossover, only our price is less than $10.00 and we've been marketing this since 2005.

I welcome Devonte and others to check it out and see what I mean:

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/mental-crossover-p-59.html

To be fair, I have not reviewed Devonte's DVD, but looking at the demo and Ad Copy, it would appear at first glance that this method is the EXACTLY same. Devonte, if you would like to contact us in private to discuss your method, please do so.....because it would appear as if this is a direct copy of something that we have been selling for quite a long time now as a download to our customers for way less than the cost of your product.

If this is truly a different effect, I welcome you to contact me so that we can clear up any confusion between our two products.

EDIT: I should say that if your method doesn't involve a c**l, then it may be a different handling of our effect. I noticed that you advertise "no sleight of hand" so if yours doesn't rely on the use of a c**l when handling the cards, then let me know because that may be the difference.
[/quote]

Jeff, I will send you a PM and no there is no C**L..To be honest it wouldnt even be relevant in this method. Always happ to chat though, to make sure all is clear and make a new friend :)

Best,

Six
Jeff,

I just watched the video.. I do like what you have up. For us the main differences are what Bigsmile pointed out...We also never have them name the card until the very end.....and as you noted the no sleight of hand.

I do apologize regardless, as a creator I know how you feel. So on behalf of myself, Devonte and System 6, I apologize for any likeness that makes you uneasy in any way.

I just wanted to state that publicly, and the we can chat via PM.

Thank you,

Six
Six, you're a classy person!
[quote]
On 2012-09-05 11:15, Zombie Magic wrote:
Six, you're a classy person!
[/quote]

And your a sweet talker! haha
Good News : Juxtaposition is now Available through the site!
Hey all - I just wanted to clear the record (because I'm just that kinda guy). :) I spoke with Six in private, and I agree that Devonte's method is indeed different than what we use with our Mental Crossover download. At first glance, it does appear to be the same effect (which is the ONLY reason why I spoke up), but there ARE differences between the two and I certainly don't have a problem with that. So I apologize if my original post created any confusion between the two effects, but they are indeed DIFFERENT.

Thanks to all who posted information to help clarify things for me!
Good news. This is on its way to the UK. can be pre-ordered.
In looking through this thread, I'm wondering what this routine has, that is presentationally different, or better than Eddie Joseph's Premonition. A thought of card vanishes from the deck. Only 51 cards remain, etc... I've been performing Premonition for years, and it kills. When I do this routine, the spectator handles the deck the entire time, even takes it out of the box themselves. Looks through the deck, and their thought of card is not there. Cards are counted, and there are only 51. I then remove their thought of card, casually from my pocket. The addition of 2 different colored decks doesn't seem to add anything to the overall effect, in fact, this seems to make it more confusing. Am I missing something?

Can the original deck be looked through again to see that their originally thought of card is no longer there?
Corbett--
The originators of this effect may chime in here, but I can tell you what I know from having worked with this concept in the past... and also being a huge fan of Eddie Joseph's Premonition (BTW, I have no connection whatsoever to the marketing of this). Presentationally, the effects are similar, but Juxtaposition does not require a deck to be dedicated to the effect... Premonition does (actually 2 decks). A major difference is that the spectator sees their card before it vanishes. Another difference (minor, yet debatable) is that Premonition requires the spectator to name their card BEFORE the deck is in play. Juxtaposition allows you to vanish a card that is merely being "thought-of" and the spectator need not name it until you are about to open the other deck.

What the guys have done is give us an option for use "in the field" when we have a normal red deck and blue deck and would like to do a thought-of transposition. It's good thinking. Yes, there are trade-offs, but the last time I checked, none of us can do this "for real." I know, from experience, that their particular subterfuge is quite effective in giving the impression that one thought-of card has transferred magically into another deck. Also, with a tiny bit of effort, a well-versed cardician could end Juxtaposition completely clean. I have my own approaches to this that I'd be happy to share for my standard consulting fee!

All of that being said, I still prefer Premonition for stand-up situations, although (again) I have fiddled with it to the point that it would fool Penn & Teller. But, for me, stand-up situations should involve dedicated props... for close-up I prefer to get the most out of standard issue items. I believe Juxtaposition fulfills that requirement. I hope that helps to answer your question.
--Dan Harlan
Dan, that does indeed help to tease-out a bit, more of what differentiates the two. Thanks for taking the time to jot all of that down. BTW, loved your lecture a few years ago here in Indy, and your new thinking on prof's nightmare, rocks!
Premonition requires 3 decks which is why it is confined to stage only.
I don't think anyone was suggesting using Premonition for close-up, though it wouldn't be that difficult.
Dan and Corbett - I had the original dvd that came out a year or so ago. Without giving anything away, the decks are made up of ordinary cards, read into that any way you want. Neither deck can be handed out for examination, in other words, the spectator can not take the first deck in their hands and search for the vanished card. In fact, I think the presentation is such that your patter is that you tell the spectator, "I will spread some cards face up and just think of one that you see." You are holding the deck face up and spreading about half the deck. The second time you spread to show that their card gone, you are again only spreading about half a deck in front of them. Both cases you are spreading the bottom face up portion. So, the spectator is looking at about the same spot where they first saw their card and now it is not there.
Then the blue ( or second deck) is spread face down and only about half the deck before turning the deck face up and finding their card face up. They can remove this card and turn it over to see it has a red back. Thus the spectator concludes this must be the red back card that vanished from deck one.
Actually, the effect does work well and very dirct in presentation if you are not performing for a "let me see those cards" type of spectator. They do give some important handling tips to make this work.
A lot of folk above promised reviews. Did this not ship yet?
ANY reviews on this?...
A single review would help.
A month later and now crickets?
You guys can read some reviews on the penguin page. Hopefully soon all the magazines will be publishing the reviews and I can post them.

Best,

Six
Can you provide a link?
[quote]
On 2012-10-27 14:19, pegasus wrote:
Can you provide a link?
[/quote]

Juxtaposition by Devonte

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S14693
Thanks. I was a letter out in the search field. Duh
Mediocre reviews and quite right complaining that nothing is supplied other than a few mins on a DVD. it should be a download. Too expensive IMO that's why I haven't purchased.

My recommendation? If it has to be DVD then supply the decks. Or make this a download. This is very expensive in the UK, and it needn't be.
[quote]
On 2012-10-27 15:17, pegasus wrote:
Mediocre reviews and quite right complaining that nothing is supplied other than a few mins on a DVD. it should be a download. Too expensive IMO that's why I haven't purchased.

My recommendation? If it has to be DVD then supply the decks. Or make this a download. This is very expensive in the UK, and it needn't be.
[/quote]

Hey Pegasus :)

I thought the reviews were good, minus the "Larry Horayne" which is just fishy all together lol Its not a few minutes on the dvd, its at least a half hour. Not sure what more would be needed.

The reason we did not include the cards were this.. 1) Playing cards arent cheap. That would at the minimum add $4 to the price tag and production cost if not more. 2)Shipping would be expensive, now release we have to order the cards, the time to arrange over a 2000 decks of cards to go with each dvd and then shipping to Murphys Magic, then Murphys has there cost of shipping to there stores. 3) Including cards would make packaging cost more expensive as well. 4) We can sell the decks as a trick without a dvd just a page write up, then we would sell none. People want DVD isn'truction. 5) Downloads would be extremely expensive on our end, considering we are a new magic company with no customer base. Theory 11 doesn't need nor go through murphys magic because they have a fan base they built over years. In the future it would make it easier, unfortunately we havent been blessed witht that oppertunity yet. 6) Our investment before we even sell anything would then be at around $6000. Production cost, design, printing, cards, and packaging.

Unfortunately it is not in our hands but how the magic market works. The trick with cards would have to run around 40-50 bucks, which would be crazy when you can use the cards you have around your house. The trick uses completely normal cards, and I cant think of any trick that supplies you with normal cards. Its almost like saying pressure is a bad trick because you don't get balloons.

Now I don't say these things to put you down or your opinion down in anyway what so ever. I mention all of this because I learned so much off this one dvd that I truly did not even begin to imagine with the business end of putting out a dvd. I think its importan for everyone to learn to just have an understanding of our market as magicians.

It also comes down to perceived value. We had a trade show magician from Florida call us and thank us, how it was great for him and how perfect it was for his trade show. To him $30 is nothing for what he gains. Im releasing a bill effect of mine, which is an incredible working effect for me, and gives the spectator a souvenior unlike anything in magic. Yet, it is not the easiest effect to put together. For performers its a miracle though. Yet, deciding how to package it is tough because of all the little details. I have many people asking me for it though, so I guess we cant please everyone. Which is bad because those who done see use for it, will put it down just because its not there style. Unlike clothing were people just ignore whats not there style because they know its for some one else. I think the "Larry" fellow fell into that catergory. It wasnt for him so he puts it down, is that fair..I don't think so, but what can we do.

I see your trouble though, as it was hard to obtain in the U.K. Unfortunately, we don't have a U.K base yet, but I am personally working on it. There are magic shops that do carry them now. It is a bit more expensive, because again shipping kills everyone. System 6 want to offer soem of the best shipping in the business and we plan too, it just takes time to learn and figure out what is best for everyone.

If your a fan of penguin and I am for sure. They give some free shipping options and sell the dvd at the same price as us now. $22 - which again was another learning experience in itself!

I hope this all just helps clear up why we didn't give away free playing cards with the DVD and what not. Plus, just lets the consumer learn about the market itself. I think that's important...I learn something new everyday.

Thanks,

Mike
I agree now with hindsight, that it would be completely wrong to include 2 normal decks that everyone has anyway. I'm just not willing to pay 25 ish GBP for a one trick DVD. And cheapo postal service from the US literally takes forever, if at all, to arrive thru the door.

In fact merchant of magic selling this on eBay for 29 pounds. Although this magic website is probably the most expensive in the UK.
This caught my eye:

"a great rendition of a Classic, absolutely brilliant"
- Doug Edwards

Doug's got quiet the reputation as a creator and doesn't endorse very much. So, I'm in.
We launched the full performance a few weeks ago. Sorry, I forgot to share it here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wva6bYy-X0A

Enjoy!
So smart, great performance, all around awesome!

billy

p.s. I will be buying the effect
Hiya Gang!

I just reviewed this for Magic Friday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h94Kell83Fo

Your pal,

jamie
[quote]
On 2013-05-13 12:58, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
Hiya Gang!

I just reviewed this for Magic Friday...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h94Kell83Fo

Your pal,

jamie
[/quote]

Yay, System 6 Magic is 2 for 2 with Jamie! Thanks for the review, enjoyed it and just sent it to Devonte.

We have a few copies left and agreed there will be no second printing on this. :-X Devonte likes to keep things sorta exclusive.

As always, Free Shipping

http://www.system6magic.com/collections/tricks/products/juxtaposition-by-devonte-rosero

Well wishes,

Six
[quote]

[/quote]

Well this effect got pretty much slammed on the WPR and for 29 pounds, boy am I glad I never ordered this.
[quote]
On 2013-05-16 09:19, pegasus wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]

Well this effect got pretty much slammed on the WPR and for 29 pounds, boy am I glad I never ordered this.
[/quote]

Think is just wasnt there style..I still closed 4F with it regardless and it killed. To each there own, nothing wrong with that. Also got a great review in Magic this month! :)
I read the review and ordered it. I am glad I did. I don't do much with cards, calloused hands, this looks amazing. I am a Amateur so I have only performed it four or five times, but great reactions every time.
David
[quote]
On 2013-06-12 08:15, David95 wrote:
I read the review and ordered it. I am glad I did. I don't do much with cards, calloused hands, this looks amazing. I am a Amateur so I have only performed it four or five times, but great reactions every time.
David
[/quote]

David, that's awesome to hear! Glad its working out perfectly for you!!!
I JUST JUMPED IN
Devonte performeD his effect at the magic castle and blew his audience away\
sorry I did not read thread this long post...
this is a real world worker
vinny
Not so sure about the positive reviews. I have tried it a few times. In theory, it seems pretty good but it has a few 'holes' and is not as clean as I would like. There are a few areas where it can lose the 'magic'. PM me so I can explain.