(Close Window)
Topic: Carnival barker
Anyone have a good resource for some carnival barker/talker/ring master patter?
I'd like some good lines, preferably something vintage or poetic.

thanks
Your request is very general. Choosing something helpful for you would require knowing what you want to depict with it.
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Sep 5, 2012 06:19PM)
"All EyEs to the Sky!!...40 perilous feet above the sawdust ring.. Where Angels fear to tread!!!...WATCH!! as the Gran Mar attempts to cross the slender silver strand..With Peach baskets on his feet! a Blind fold on his Head,..rendering Him,.. totally senselesss!!!...Silence pleassssse!!!!..."

this is one of my alltime Favorites...Hope this helps you out..
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Sep 5, 2012 06:32PM)
Or When Culpepper Merriweather Circus played Phoenix Red Johnson would let Circus Fan Fred Reed (deceased) announce the show in exchange for laying the show down...this was one of my favorite annoucements Fred came up for the Ole Curator..."Folks, riding a Bicycle is great exercise...Jim tried riding on the streets of Phoenix, but he found its too dangerous! So he is going to ride up there...where its Safe!!!..."

http://api.ning.com/files/HitbkuizC4kwzD4kOjVqYgKqfN*x8QHkmxXQI1eiiBdj-lG2ksWP7NmfzXXvNPqQ5pvALbGy8iYWyKaadk765NVTqiFJz*af/wire.jpg
Jim. Is that the same bike Dennis and I saw in front of the bar in Pueblo? Also, I don't see any counter weights hanging from it.
Message: Posted by: Eric the Excellent (Sep 5, 2012 10:10PM)
[quote]
On 2012-09-05 19:32, The Curator of the Unusual wrote:
..."Folks, riding a Bicycle is great exercise...Jim tried riding on the streets of Phoenix, but he found its too dangerous! So he is going to ride up there...where its Safe!!!..."

[/quote]

I love it!
Jim:

I remember your act. really tremendous! on the Franzen Bros. Circus many years ago. Always a crowd pleaser.

Rod
[quote]
On 2012-09-05 15:02, scaress wrote:
Anyone have a good resource for some carnival barker/talker/ring master patter?
I'd like some good lines, preferably something vintage or poetic.

thanks
[/quote]

Yes is the answer ..... We have Jim. But we will only loan him out you can't have him!
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Sep 6, 2012 03:33PM)
Hey Rod how bout this one...

Direct from the Carson Ranch in the Red River Valley of Hugo Oklahoma, welcome the biggest stars of the Carson & Barnes Circus. Because of the dwindling number of this magnificent endangered species, you may never witness this sight again, over 72,000 pounds of performing pachyderms. As they said in the days of the old “hold on to your horses”– HERE COME THE ELEPHANTS.
Yes, Jim:

I think this was the announcement for the spectacular long mount that Dorey Miller produced. Donnie " Oakie" Carr had the elephant dept then. I feel VERY fortunate to have been able to witness such a true spectacle, I really doubt we will ever see the long mount quite like Carson & Barnes had ever again. Totally Awesome.
A Carnival Barker is when your shin meets the gearhead in the pale moonlight...
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Sep 7, 2012 12:43PM)
Scaress

I Beleieve you should show up @ The Gathering armed with a recorder and a pad & pencil...
You should be able to walk away with the Best lines in the Business...
Good Luck, HaPpy Hunting...
[quote]
On 2012-09-06 17:28, Rod Pringle wrote:
Yes, Jim:
announcement for the spectacular long mount.
[/quote]

You know that is just crying out for a comment ........ but I do ave a modicum of self respect ...... Somewhere ... I put it down here I am sure I did......
Dave, do you even know what a long mount is?
I am not 100% sure but as elephants are mentioned I am guessing .......

It's when someone has sex for a long time ...... Darn it there goes my self respect! Again!!!!

No in all seriousness I don't know for sure but as elephants are mentioned I think it's that trick (probably to the right word) where the elephants have their front legs on the back of the elephant in front. And there are lots of them in a row. But as I sain that's a guess.

Thanks for keeping me in my place harley, it's about time someone cracked down on me.
Yes, and Carson and Barnes had a huge herd. I only saw C&B once, after the herd was smaller, and there were 25 elephants. I think they had 40 at one time.
40 ..... WOW..... Well saying that 25 would be really good to see too!
It was amazing!
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Sep 8, 2012 01:40PM)
I worked on Carson & Barnes Elephant Dept. for the last 3 months of the 1984 Season, they carried 27 Elephants and had a 19 elephant Long mount...The last Long mount I was apart of had 16 at Evansville Indiana w/ the Hawthorn Corp Herd for the Shrine...
By the time I got to presenting pachyderms for Chipperfields,
we only had 3, which made it a short long mount!
Those 3 girlies are now on RBBB.
Mind you, in a 42 foot ring a six beast mount is about
the maximum that would fit.
C&Bs hippodrome track long mount was always spectacular more so
for the public sitting front row along he track.
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Sep 8, 2012 05:53PM)
Most I ever worked in a Ring was 5, Here I have 4, 2 Asian, 2 African...This was a walking Long mount..

http://api.ning.com/files/1Vsdu30aDJELssBpmZyrZBp3KEOBMjDquFOgCBtbSzI_/Jim20Z2011.jpg

and early in the act Featured a Long Mount on Tubs, ....

http://api.ning.com/files/1Vsdu30aDJGCJGxrwRi*o3EJZJxUUJD4ThuiICOL*ro_/Jim20Z2031.jpg
FANTASTIC PHOTOS Jim.....If you ever want to do that act again, I have that ring mat ( same one ) ...all you need are the elephants.
Amazing photos.... And the dumb animals Look well looked after ...... The elephants do too come to that (drum roll, high hat) how can any one think they look anything but fit and healthy.

It's a shame those days are no more.

Jim is that you on the right..... How long ago was it taken?
Message: Posted by: The Curator of the Unusual (Sep 9, 2012 11:07AM)
Dave, yes, 2003..
Wow!

I decided to sneak in to this post just to see what was up. Love the pics and the history lesson. We have the R&B&B circus in town in a few weeks thought about going its been a few yeas, now I know I'm going.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Sep 14, 2012 08:17AM)
Still trying to find out what a "barker" is... I have a couple at home, they only work when someone knocks on the door, and need to be put in their kennels lest they pee all over the house.
Go to Sideshow World and look around.
I must admit I thought that side show people didn't like the term barker.
Message: Posted by: thegreatnippulini (Sep 18, 2012 07:53AM)
[quote]
On 2012-09-16 15:50, ringmaster wrote:
Go to Sideshow World and look around.
[/quote]
Don't need to..... I was making a very obvious joke. Barker is an offensive term, unless referring to canines... which I did. If you go to Sideshow World, you'll see me!

Strange, considering about 95% of "sideshow" performers aren't really sideshow at all. A more accurate (and respectful) title is "variety act" performer.... especially if your act has never seen a tent or midway.
In that case I can't call myself variety act ...... I have no variety...... Some say I have no act either...... :(
Most buskers and variety acts now list circus and or sideshow in their
publicity, but when asked to do a season on a tenting show they have
no inclination to the life.
They are in effect sight acts or specialty acts, misrepresenting themselves
and never will be what I know as circus or sideshow.
There is a distinction as has been discussed here previously.