(Close Window)
Topic: Rocky Raccoon in the Restaurants
Finally I'm working in a restaurant regularly.This is a good place to hone tricks.What do you think about using Rocky Raccoon in the restaurants.I do not like the idea of using furry stuff near the food.But its a great and funny effect.Specially for the small kids.
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Sep 24, 2012 09:17AM)
You answered your own question.

[quote]
On 2012-09-24 05:51, asgar wrote:
I do not like the idea of using furry stuff near the food.[/quote]
Whether or not this is appropriate in a restaurant setting can be debated. I would never do it because I would hate to have to carry it. It that a spring puppet in your pocket, or.......?
As a patron, would you want someone walking around with what appears to a be live animal in a restaurant setting where you're trying to dine? I wouldn't. Let common sense light your path... :)
I do not like the idea of food near the furry stuff.

Discretion, meet valor.
Put yourself in the position of a layman, restaurant patron. Would you want potential animal fur on your plate. Real or faux.
Plus, some people are always going to think the raccoon is real no matter what.
I think this would be a great way to get kicked out of the place.
[quote]On 2012-09-24 16:39, professorwhut wrote:
I think this would be a great way to get kicked out of the place.[/quote]
Now that you bring it up, just think of the possibilities it would open up for usurping someone else's gig.

;)
I would not use it in a restaurant, and would not like Rocky around my food.
Opinion seems to be " No "
I seem to remember a routine, and I think it was published in Magic Menu, where Rocky finds a selected card. I also had a friend that used Rocky in his restaurant gig, for years.
I keep one at the restaurant, and have used it sparingly. I'm very careful about when and where I bring it out for specific tables. I wouldn't take a chance on disturbing another table even for a moment, but if a table has kids that are well-behaved and clearly having fun - and in a section that can't be seen by the others - I'll bring it out. It is always rewarding for both the guests and myself.
Gentlemen, lighten up a little! Its fake! You're worried about a holding fake raccoon when everyone else in the restaurant is eating a dead animal! I have used Spot the Skunk from time to time and there has been no stink about it!

Seriously, has anyone had a situation in which a guest complained? Or have you all simply steered clear of even trying it?

There have been times that I've come to my restaurant from a birthday party and didn't have time to drop off the rabbit at home. So, if its slow I'll take the rabbit around and have the kids pet the rabbit. I know, horrible, right? Once again, I never had a complaint, only very happy children, parents, and a restaurant manager asking when I'm bringing the rabbit in again.
[quote]
On 2012-09-25 17:12, Ken Northridge wrote:
Gentlemen, lighten up a little! Its fake! You're worried about a holding fake raccoon when everyone else in the restaurant is eating a dead animal! I have used Spot the Skunk from time to time and there has been no stink about it!

Seriously, has anyone had a situation in which a guest complained? Or have you all simply steered clear of even trying it?

There have been times that I've come to my restaurant from a birthday party and didn't have time to drop off the rabbit at home. So, if its slow I'll take the rabbit around and have the kids pet the rabbit. I know, horrible, right? Once again, I never had a complaint, only very happy children, parents, and a restaurant manager asking when I'm bringing the rabbit in again.
[/quote]

Ken, all you say is correct. It all could be done for 30 years without an issue.

Then again...someone could get a complaint the first time out. These days many people like to exert some power in situations just to do it.

There are board of health laws and if someone called and complained about a live animal, no matter how small, there would be trouble.They could even call the board of health about the faux raccoon saying it was real.

A privately owned restaurant is always the best to work at. Corporate owned upper management love to throw the baby out with the bath water on any compliant, real or legit.
[quote]
On 2012-09-25 17:12, Ken Northridge wrote:
Gentlemen, lighten up a little! Its fake! You're worried about a holding fake raccoon when everyone else in the restaurant is eating a dead animal!
[/quote]

Classic and so true!

I have used Rocky in the restaurant for 3 years now, not so much anymore. I was originally given the same advice but honestly kids love it and everyone that comes back to see you always ask to see him again.

Just do it plus because you get to use him so much in front of an audience you will end up with a good routine for a stand up act.
Used Rocky for years in restaurants with no problem and loads of laughs. Only dicey time was when I was behind a bar, Rocky leaped across it at a patron on a stool, and she wind-milled her arms to keep her balance. Everybody laughed, but I dropped the leap.
Make sure you use the bit where the manager says you can't have live animals in the restaurant and you slap rocky across the table. I love that one.

Seriously make sure you know your client well enough before you introduce it.
What about wearing a fur coat in a restaurant?

Isn't Rocky just a springs fur coat?
[quote]
On 2012-09-26 17:35, Pecan_Creek wrote:
What about wearing a fur coat in a restaurant?

Isn't Rocky just a springs fur coat?
[/quote]
Yup, but I wouldn't want either of them near my food. They both shed and the fur gets airborne.
The only time a raccoon should be seen in a restaurant is if it's stuffed, roasted and served on a bed of polenta with a wild berry jus.
There is a faux fur "Roxanne" available but I'd save the spring from a Rocky (if you have one) because I found the spring in mine so stiff as to be almost unworkable. I don't think it was the faux fur but the spring itself that made it hard to operate. I have not bought a rocky to get a softer spring because I don't want to buy a rocky. Roxanne is cute but clearly not real. You can't do the bits of blowing the fur to get expression.

Remember that a fur coat would not be so welcome in a restaurant as it once may have been.

-Mary Mowder
Every once in awhile I'll produce a dove at the appropriate time.
Just us the spring. Do an entire rocky raccoon but with a spring. I could see this being funny as hell. Show a picture of you and rocky and say the restaurant won't let you bring an animal inside so you gutted him. Pull out the spring and do the entire routine. I may just do that...lol
[quote]
On 2012-10-01 20:19, slyhand wrote:
Every once in awhile I'll produce a dove at the appropriate time.
[/quote]

a bar of dove soap? That could be a funny little gag. Come to think of it, I bet someone has already done it.
[quote]On 2012-10-08 13:40, AndyLuka wrote:
[quote]On 2012-10-01 20:19, slyhand wrote:
Every once in awhile I'll produce a dove at the appropriate time.[/quote]
a bar of dove soap?[/quote]
Chocolate bar.

Try to keep up.

;)
A friend of mine has been producing a bar of Dove Soap for years now.
I figured it had been done before. still a funny gag. I may try it sometime.
I'm afraid of gags like the whole Dove thing lol, I once picked up a rope with a Tide laundry detergent box in the middle of it, the guy told me it was "Tide in the middle" and it took me like 2 full minutes to get the joke, I would be afraid something like that would happen and I would just be standing there awkwardly like uh..hu..hu.hhuuh.....huuuhhhhh. cuz those are the sounds I make when I'm standing awkardly lol
I would have called that soap on a rope. That would play better and is easier to understand. It sucks but sometimes ya gotta dumb stuff down.
[quote]
On 2012-10-05 11:41, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Just us the spring. Do an entire rocky raccoon but with a spring. I could see this being funny as hell. Show a picture of you and rocky and say the restaurant won't let you bring an animal inside so you gutted him. Pull out the spring and do the entire routine. I may just do that...lol
[/quote]

That is an awesome idea!

I think the whole idea of Rocky in a restaurant really depends on the type of restaurant you are performing in, and the type of clientele you are dealing with. It may work in some places, and in others, the story of using him in a restaurant is all that will be acceptable. I love Rocky and the gags you can do with him ("No live animals in here..." so you slam him on the table/"No, four fingers Sir; never use just one...") but in the restaurants that I perform in, he would not be suitable. However, I LOVE that 'gutting idea" above from Christopher...It is either you gutted him or it is an invisible racoon (or other weird creature)...

Use your judgement when it comes to this, and try exploring other alternatives to Rocky, like a handkerchief animal; you never know what you may find!
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Oct 30, 2012 10:13AM)
[quote]
On 2012-10-05 11:41, Christopher Lyle wrote:
Do an entire rocky raccoon but with a spring. [/quote]
As a magician I see the humor (This idea would kill at a magic convention) but I don't know how well that would play to laymen who have never seen Rocky and have no concept of spring operated critters.
Who knows? Don't know till you try. Give it a shot Ayala...see what happens and let us know...
I just get sick of everyone doing the SAME gags with it.

My lord is Tom Sellek and Brook Shields even relevant any more?
People have been using the same patter and gags with cards and coins for years - why not if they work? they are usually new to the spec.
[quote]On 2012-10-30 16:35, Poof-Daddy wrote:
People have been using the same patter and gags with cards and coins for years - why not [b][i]if they work?[/i][/b] they are usually new to the spec.[/quote]
I think you hit Danny's point right there.
[quote]
On 2012-10-30 16:40, S2000magician wrote:
[quote]On 2012-10-30 16:35, Poof-Daddy wrote:
People have been using the same patter and gags with cards and coins for years - why not [b][i]if they work?[/i][/b] they are usually new to the spec.[/quote]
I think you hit Danny's point right there.
[/quote]

Yea pretty much hit it right in the mouth.

THANK GOD song writers don't think this way!
Message: Posted by: Daryl -the other brother (Oct 30, 2012 05:12PM)
Speaking of song writers...I did a google search for "Rocky Racoon" and got a song from a old english band. ;)
We get very nasty comments nearly half the time we bring my sons service dog into restaraunts despite the fact she is a certified service dog, very clean as we groom her daily and she is Extremely well trained and it is illegal to interfere with a service dog or it's handler.
Be prepared to get at the least an occaisional complaint when bringing something furry into a setting where people eat.
Oh ya , the complaints only occur when it is not obvious I am with my son and wife. I guess I am scarier then the dog. She is half yellow Lab and half Bloohound and is a real sweetheart.
I am Italian/Danish and I guess not so sweet looking. I find as I get older I scowl, a lot. :)
Remember the magician at Malones in Beca' that was thrown in jail for anamal abuse for mistreating his racoon.
If you think that's funny you've never been on the receaving end of Florida sheriffs deputies or spent two nights in the can, or had a judge tell you " you're free to go son,that'll be five hundred dollars court cost".
I am not sure all that happened.
[quote]
On 2012-10-31 23:07, manal wrote:
We get very nasty comments nearly half the time we bring my sons service dog into restaraunts despite the fact she is a certified service dog, very clean as we groom her daily and she is Extremely well trained and it is illegal to interfere with a service dog or it's handler...
[/quote]

It is funny you mention this because every time I see a service dog come into a restaurant, I am in awe of the dogs and the unconditional love, help and support that they provide, and at the same time I feel somewhat sorry for the owners because I know what kind of crap they must go through in various places for bringing an 'animal' of any sort inside, not the least of which is restaurants.

Neither me or anyone in my family has ever required the use of a service dog but we are huge dog lovers. There is a family of regulars that comes into one of my restaurants whose middle child is deaf and uses a service dog, and this particular restaurant bends over backward to accomodate everyone, including the dog. Since I have gotten to know them well I always find a way to include the dog in my interactions with them - usually with an appropriate treat and ALWAYS with their permission - and they are always grateful for that.

Okay, off-topic comment finished.

On a side note, I might try the 'gutted Rocky' idea next week at one of my walkaround shows and I will see how it plays out.