(Close Window)
Topic: SHUTTERBUG
Eighteen year old Mary Sullivan vanished like the morning dew. She was there, and then she was, well, gone. The police told her mother she was an adult and maybe she just left town that morning, it was after all a small town and young people do leave for the big city.

Her Mother insisted not Mary, she would not have left without telling her. She had a job, there was a fella, she was happy. The cops told her “lets wait 24 hours and then we’ll investigate” but they didn’t wait, they felt the anguish and they knew something was wrong, very very wrong.

Detective Milton Lewis was baffled. They had been investigating for 7 days now and not a clue.
But that was all about to change, and not in the way he had hoped for.

It was late in the evening, a week to the day that Mary had vanished. Detective Lewis had just left his office and was walking toward his car when he saw it. An envelope had been placed on his windshield. There was no name or writing of any kind on the envelope, but what it contained was a frightening mystery that would take him on a journey in search of Mary and the monster that seemed to hide in plain sight...

Coming this Halloween from Outlaw and Paul Prater:

Shutterbug

[img]http://s7.postimage.org/fac4y2iqj/photo.jpg[/img]
Oh boy....

Oh boy.
This is going to rock
Whispers in the shadows. . .
I love you guys! There's always something to look forward to every month!
I don't even care what the effect is, the little teaser story has me sold!
[quote]
On 2012-10-03 01:18, Erick Machamer wrote:
I don't even care what the effect is, the little teaser story has me sold!
[/quote]

EXACTLY!
I've never been so anxious to spend money in my life.

Not sure if I can wait until Halloween.

If it's half as good as any other outlaw product, I'll take two.
[quote]
On 2012-10-03 02:25, bobbyhasbun wrote:
I've never been so anxious to spend money in my life.

Not sure if I can wait until Halloween.

If it's half as good as any other outlaw product, I'll take two.
[/quote]

SHEEESH!
I'm broke right now :_(
[quote]
On 2012-10-03 07:31, OnTiltSoon wrote:
[/quote]

Me too, thanks to Outlaw and their awesome stuff :(

But this looks way cool! :)
[quote]
On 2012-10-03 11:29, spookyone wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-03 07:31, OnTiltSoon wrote:
[/quote]

Me too, thanks to Outlaw and their awesome stuff :(
[/quote]

Same reason... :P
Message: Posted by: revenantproductions (Oct 3, 2012 11:17AM)
Rick,

This looks awesome! It is good to see this come to life or death as the case may be. This is going to kill!

Best,
RP
***. Just when I thought there was nothing to buy till new year? This may be too tempting to pass up or even delay.

Does this suggest a change in marketing for PP?
I just got some money back from the IRS. I wonder if my wife will let me spend some of it?

-Max
Nope, no change in marketing, aside from adding on some work with Outlaw. Chris and I are working hard on the October releases for Alchemy Moon and we will be ready. I also still have my website. This is one Rick and I collaborated on. Just spreading the love! I think you guys will like it.
As a photographer I'm a sucker for effects using photographs.

Keeping my eye on this.

Steve
Very nice Rick! I really like the concept.
I recently had the chance to hold these in my hands and they are soooo spooky

The above photo does not do them justice. Paul did a fantastic job on these.

Wait'll you get them in person; you won't be disappointed!

Another winner for outlaw and Paul Prater. Nice goin guys!!
I like the look of this a lot
Rick,

Artwork on these look top notch! Can you spoon feed us a little more on what the presentation involves?

CHRIS
You're gone.
I don't know where you are.
You're gone,
And I don't know how far.
You're gone.
My heart beats 'round a hole.
You're gone,
And I'm afraid you're all alone.
Mr. Sullivan might be thinking "that's one gone & now one left to go." Everyone has always said Mary was just like her mother : )
Ordered!
Jus realised its up in outlaw. Fingers are itchy now
Will Rick be kind enough to entice us with the basic effect of the Shutterbug?
[quote]
On 2012-10-03 20:42, piyuyu wrote:
Will Rick be kind enough to entice us with the basic effect of the Shutterbug?
[/quote]

+ 1
Shutterbug is dark theater mixed into a mystery. It will surely be the core of a "Hauntique" that the buyer will have the ability to expand and add to.

You receive the envelope a killer had sent to the police. It contains many photos that don't seem to have any connection, but they do... The envelope has a hand written case number and the name Mary Sullivan on one side of it.
The photos are a storyboard of his crime sent to the cops to taunt them because he felt they were not nearly as smart as he was.

Included with the photos was a very odd little hand written map that the cops never did figure out. Also included in the envelope you receive is an additional piece of evidence, a taunting hand written note sent to the cops several days after the photos were sent.

In this note, the killer again taunts the cops, but this time he gives them clues to what these photos are, because in his mind the cops are incompetent and he's sooo confident they can't find him, he's actually arrogant enough to try and help them.

At the start the spectators have no idea what these photos are, you do not reveal their true nature until you are ready to. You ask the spectators what do you make of these photos? Let them give you a sense of what they are, what "vibe" do they get? Then you move on.

It is a very multi-layered presentation as the mystery is unfolded.

What the spec doesn't see until you're ready, is the killer wrote a message on the back of each photo. There is a picture of Café that Mary worked at. On the back of the picture it says "She served me breakfast, the potatoes were crispy"

This is not a "one trick pony" there is a trick but there is much more going on. At some point the spectator will chose their own path and find the one photo that leads to the killer, something the cops couldn't do.

Combine the above info with all the "theater" you add, additional props to expand the Hauntique, the history and mystery of the props and you have 30 minutes of scary creepy interaction with your audience.

All props are 100% examinable
Extremely sweet. Mind is exploding with possilities right now.

Thanks Rick!
"At some point the spectator will chose their own path and find the one photo that leads to the killer, something the cops couldn't do."

What I didn't mention above is the spec does not know that the photo they have chosen is the key photo. That's something they discover when you want them to.
This looks and sounds pretty sweet. If it camefrom the mindof Paul Prater, you know it mustbe good !

Kotah
[quote]
On 2012-10-04 02:45, KOTAH wrote:
This looks and sounds pretty sweet. If it camefrom the mindof Paul Prater, you know it mustbe good !

Kotah
[/quote]

Agreed. Looking forward to this Rick. Will it be a limited number release?
Just to clarify, this is Rick's baby. We were discussing another routine and he told me about this idea of his and asked me to collaborate.
[quote]
On 2012-10-04 16:05, Paul Prater wrote:
Just to clarify, this is Rick's baby. We were discussing another routine and he told me about this idea of his and asked me to collaborate.
[/quote]
Paul has created some wonderful props along with contributing to the presentations and further ideas.

BTW, regarding the above teaser and description of Shutterbug, nothing is as it seems...
Wow, great looking props and an oh so enticing story! Is this the first Paul Prater / Outlaw coilaberation?
Just curious, where are the photos location based? Is it U.S or U.K?

These are amazing props, and even more amazing if I could link it up with Homicide trilogy.
[quote]
On 2012-10-04 20:05, piyuyu wrote:

These are amazing props, and even more amazing if I could link it up with Homicide trilogy.
[/quote]

hmm, now theres and idea...
I am very interested to hear some reviews, after the release. It sounds fantastic.
At some point in the presentation the spectators will see something that may stick in their mind afterwards. If they do happen to remember what they saw, they may later google it.

It will take them to an historical reference site about the case that was put up by the grandson of a police officer that was there in 1943 :bat:
[quote]
On 2012-10-10 01:12, Roth wrote:
At some point in the presentation the spectators will see something that may stick in their mind afterwards. If they do happen to remember what they saw, they may later google it.

It will take them to an historical reference site about the case that was put up by the grandson of a police officer that was there in 1943 :bat:
[/quote]

Now,you guys are thinking...give them something to google,and get some answers! HA !
I couldn't wait and no need to wait for a review. A trusted and reliable source for great and bizarre items. Guaranteed winner! I pulled the trigger and purchased $hu++€rbug. I will be giving a personal review in the near future. Thanks again Outlaw.
[quote]
On 2012-10-10 01:12, Roth wrote:

[/quote]

Evil thinking... I love it!
Hey Rick, will this be a limited number release?
This sounds intriguing and I would really like to read some reviews from you guys after you try it out. I'm very interested in moving towards this kind of work.
Shipping Nov. 1st :) looking forward to some performance reviews and audience reactions. I am sure the props are exquisite as everything I have purchased from Outlaw has been.
[quote]
Just curious, where are the photos location based? Is it U.S or U.K?[/quote]

Playing detective, I found one of the locations:

[img]http://www.lakesnwoods.com/images/Farmin46.gif[/img]
The movie theater in Farmington Minnesota... making it U.S. based?

Poor Mary might have been taken to the movies! :bwink:
Shutterbug is U.S. based.

"Poor Mary" so very sad... hehehe
I am very excited about this one!
Looking forward to some kind of a review once someone receives theirs. Could this effect and photos be incorporated with a talking board and used in that manner. Maybe using the board as a means to make a connection with Mary in an effort to reveal the truth about her demise. Without knowing really anything about this new one from Outlaw, my mind is already thinking about ...one of my uncles who used to be a sherif/cop. Since I was his executor and he had no other family, I ended up inheriting most of his belongings and some of his case files that were never solved . .. ... .... Looks like I'll be heading over to Rick's place to use some of those plastic baggies filed with pennies the kids are bringing home tonight. Maybe Mr. Roth can chime in here on this or with a pm.

CHRIS
[quote]
On 2012-10-31 18:03, MagiChrisMitch wrote:
Looking forward to some kind of a review once someone receives theirs. Could this effect and photos be incorporated with a talking board and used in that manner. Maybe using the board as a means to make a connection with Mary in an effort to reveal the truth about her demise. Without knowing really anything about this new one from Outlaw, my mind is already thinking about ...one of my uncles who used to be a sherif/cop. Since I was his executor and he had no other family, I ended up inheriting most of his belongings and some of his case files that were never solved . .. ... .... Looks like I'll be heading over to Rick's place to use some of those plastic baggies filed with pennies the kids are bringing home tonight. Maybe Mr. Roth can chime in here on this or with a pm.

CHRIS
[/quote]
They say the spirits of those that died against their will, those innocents that were taken before their time, are the spirits that refuse to leave this plane.

Shutterbug is many things, a possible path to an answer, an opening to the other side. Someone has certainly died.

You may find that Mary may not be the one you will make contact with...
Alright, that last line was an underwear-changer.
Anyone get one yet?

If so, any comments or observations (or reviews)?
They started shipping out on the first. So any time now......
I like the look of the photos and mountings...kinda tempted, I used to have some family out in the states so I'm not worried about a suitable backstory as to why I have these (and my great grandad was a Mountie apparently)..
Still no review, or did I miss it?

Currently deciding between this and a hardback L*n@
Hi everyone,

Well, the waiting is over. I just received my shutterbug (I'm in California so I'm just up the road a couple hundred miles from Outlaw) and the props are outstanding. You receive the main photos and some additional photos for alternate presentations.

You also receive various other items that I won't mention here so you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Shutterbug is a very "fluid" effect with many ways to do your presentation. It's a mystery that may or may not be solved. I see it as an intriguing way to start a bizarre evening and set the mood for what's to come.

Kudos to Roth and Paul for stepping out of the box with this one!

Jorey
Can't wait for mine
Received Shutterbug today and it is a thing of beauty.
The pictures online do not do it justice at all, it is classic Outlaw quality outdone, and you have to feel them, breath them, and handle them to truly appreciate their worth.

I don't come around these parts much, however I had to share my excitement for this act.....and it can be a complete act.
SB
Cool sb - I ordered a set too and great to hear all the praise from people I admire
This is not your standard effect with a beginning, middle and an end! Where this one can go hasn't even been discovered yet. . .so much to ponder.

Rick and Paul may have started a new genre here!
[quote]
On 2012-11-23 19:53, kcalB wrote:
Received Shutterbug today and it is a thing of beauty.
The pictures online do not do it justice at all, it is classic Outlaw quality outdone, and you have to feel them, breath them, and handle them to truly appreciate their worth.

I don't come around these parts much, however I had to share my excitement for this act.....and it can be a complete act.
SB
[/quote]
Thank you so much :)

I brought Paul Prater into the project and he did an outstanding job on the props. It's not fair to even refer to them as "props" they are as real as you can get :)
Seriously! They are as real as you can get!

These are far from looking like props. They look like they were taken/unglued from someone's photo album. Complete with those little corner holders my parents used to use. They not only look old, the SMELL musty/moldy.

When I opened the envelope, I (honestly) didn't recognize what this was and thought someone had sent me old photos/letters from my family's past.

Kudos, you two.
Aging is one thing, but the attention to detail puts this effect in a class by itself. It looks so real that the biggest challenge, I think, is to come up with a plausible story about how you would have come to have these items in your possession instead of them being buried in an evidence locker.
My Grandfather was a PI on the case. The pictures were passed on to my Dad and he passed them on to me.
I keep getting flashbacks to this film... but I will see when my set arrives...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060176/
[quote]
On 2012-11-23 20:20, Dr Spektor wrote:
Cool sb - I ordered a set too and great to hear all the praise from people I admire
[/quote]

Thank you for your kind words Dr.S
Every time I work with Shutterbug I find more to work with, and it can get quite complexed and overwhelming because I keep Matrixing when I examine the photos.
I look forward to comparing notes when you've had time to absorb the evidence.
SB
[quote]
On 2012-12-03 21:12, magicianroger wrote:
My Grandfather was a PI on the case. The pictures were passed on to my Dad and he passed them on to me.
[/quote]

Great premise!
I got Shutterbug in last week can't wait to put it into my show this coming year. Thanks Rick & Paul! Been working on Routines all week. Love the Pictures! So spooky.
I've had Shutterbug for about a week and I'm trying to digest all of the possible presentational opportunities. This is an awesome set of props and secrets! I think I've got a lot of work ahead of me to develop a suitable presentation.

One of the first items I'm curious about is how you guys intend to display the photos for your particular venue. This seems well suited to parlor but I am curious how you Shutterbugs plan on using this routine. I'm also interested in how you guys plan on scripting out the story in relation to the spectator interaction. What is the climax of your presentation; the reveal of the photo, solving the crime or some other secret within M@ry's life?

I got a bunch of questions and thoughts so if anyone is inclined, please stop by the Outlaw Effects forum and let's start trading notes and ideas!

Hope to see you there!

Tim (aka konjurer)
This a great effect and the possibilities are staggering. I've posted a follow-up to Tim's at the outlaw forum, so come on by and let's talk about it!
Hi there,

Got my Shutterbug shortly before Christmas and have totally fallen in love with the props and that story.

On New Year's Eve we had dinner with a couple of friends and they asked me to show something of my freak-stuff. I actually wanted to get my "Til death do us apart set", but some (shutter)bug bit me and I decided to give that scary envelop a shot.

I went through the routine and they were all thrilled and totally into solving the riddle. The reveal of the extra photo was emotionally more hooking than I expected.

For what happened then I would have loved to take the credit, but it was more an accident. I forgot about the postcard and had left it in the envelop because everyone was so happy to find that murder, that I intended to leave it that way. I thought we were done, everybody was well entertaint and I went off to get some more drinks, asking them to carefully put everything back in the envelope.

When I came back, the whole stuff was spreaded out at the table again and they all went conspiracy after finding the postcard, searching for more clues. We had a great time to come up with new theories, that we almost missed midnight.

Totally awesome, thanks Outlaw, worth every Penny!!!

Regards

Michael
[quote]
On 2013-01-05 19:48, Sicnatius wrote:
Hi there,

Got my Shutterbug shortly before Christmas and have totally fallen in love with the props and that story.

On New Year's Eve we had dinner with a couple of friends and they asked me to show something of my freak-stuff. I actually wanted to get my "Til death do us apart set", but some (shutter)bug bit me and I decided to give that scary envelop a shot.

I went through the routine and they were all thrilled and totally into solving the riddle. The reveal of the extra photo was emotionally more hooking than I expected.

For what happened then I would have loved to take the credit, but it was more an accident. I forgot about the postcard and had left it in the envelop because everyone was so happy to find that murder, that I intended to leave it that way. I thought we were done, everybody was well entertaint and I went off to get some more drinks, asking them to carefully put everything back in the envelope.

When I came back, the whole stuff was spreaded out at the table again and they all went conspiracy after finding the postcard, searching for more clues. We had a great time to come up with new theories, that we almost missed midnight.

Totally awesome, thanks Outlaw, worth every Penny!!!

Regards

Michael
[/quote]

Exactly! Shutterbug is ALL about the spectators and THEIR interpretations!
Just received Shutterbug yesterday and I posted some photos up on Instagram. Wow, the response was tremendous. My students were asking me for more details about the crime. And the interest, even before I presented anything. Just some photos on the social media, had garnered much attention. I would like to bring this to class one day and do some investig@tive journ@lism and see what kind of theories these kids can bring out. I will just sit and listen, no influence from me, and just see how far we can go. Even if I do not end up going to the final part of the story, it's fine. It's just so open ended, the possibilities are truly endless.

Thank you Rick and Paul for bringing this to the community!
Ooooh. I'm as giddy as a school girl, (not sure what that means...just heard it a lot growing up). Can't wait for mine.
Some good conversation (about this great effect) starting up on the outlaw forum. Come on by!!
Well, I just received mine today. What more can be said? I'll tell ya...
My wife has been getting into tracing her ancestry big time. It's a hobby...and I have mine...so I encourage her to have one as well. So, she's been collecting photos, letters, newspaper clippings, etc. She dutifully scans them, shares them with relatives, and is trying to piece together her family's past.

Long story short...we have piles of old memorabilia stacked up in our third floor, and we look like hoarders.

But I digress. So, back to Shutterbug. My point is, when I received this package today, I opened it up, and it looked and felt exactly like all of the materials my wife has been collecting. I could literally take any of the items and place them into her collected findings and no one would be able to tell the difference.

I haven't even begun to delve into how cool this effect appears to be. But given the quality of the props alone, I know I've purchased something very special.
Shutterbug - ok I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I can tell you I agree with all the positive remarks above

The props are first class

The back story can be shrunk or expanded as needed

This can be an entire evening of fun

It can be tied to a seance.... Which I think would be cool to get the "final answer" confirmed after the participants have come up with their theories....

I am going to add in 2-3 more characters so specs can have more people to choose from... Like the creepy farmer Seth Atwood, the reverend green, and a nice beefy mechanic...

One could easily work in some psychometry aspects too - besides the cheque... Some items owned by the suspects and victims

Bravo guys - a murder mystery party awaits my unsuspecting guests
Hey Dr. Why not share some of your ideas on the outlaw forum. A few of us have a nice conversation goin on over there!
[quote]
On 2013-01-12 20:58, Dr Spektor wrote:
Shutterbug - ok I haven't had a chance to use it yet but I can tell you I agree with all the positive remarks above

The props are first class

The back story can be shrunk or expanded as needed

This can be an entire evening of fun

It can be tied to a seance.... Which I think would be cool to get the "final answer" confirmed after the participants have come up with their theories....

I am going to add in 2-3 more characters so specs can have more people to choose from... Like the creepy farmer Seth Atwood, the reverend green, and a nice beefy mechanic...

One could easily work in some psychometry aspects too - besides the cheque... Some items owned by the suspects and victims

Bravo guys - a murder mystery party awaits my unsuspecting guests
[/quote]
Thank You for the very nice review Doc!
[quote]
On 2013-01-12 21:10, afinemesh wrote:
Hey Dr. Why not share some of your ideas on the outlaw forum. A few of us have a nice conversation goin on over there!
[/quote]

Ok I went and posted some ideas - making the killer more a supernatural entity - hope you like the 15th photo idea hee hee
Excellent idea, Doc. The more the merrier. The most stimlating discussion I've had in magic. Thanks guys.

Marc
I posted a new version of the poem on the Outlaw forum (The Poem Redux). Hope Rick doesn't mind the rewrite.

* The acrostic message more clearly identifies the killer - I view the acrostic (acronym) as the killer's signature
* More taunting and insulting to Detect1ve Lew1s
* The meter and number of syllables is more fluid I hope and all of the lines rhyme

I am rewriting the poem on 4 separate artifacts. Perhaps the image will give you a clue as to the nature of my arts and crafts project :)

Tim
[quote]
On 2013-01-13 16:14, mcharisse wrote:
Excellent idea, Doc. The more the merrier. The most stimlating discussion I've had in magic. Thanks guys.

Marc
[/quote]

Purchased.
[quote]
On 2013-01-14 01:08, konjurer wrote:
I posted a new version of the poem on the Outlaw forum (The Poem Redux). Hope Rick doesn't mind the rewrite.

* The acrostic message more clearly identifies the killer - I view the acrostic (acronym) as the killer's signature
* The meter and number of syllables is more fluid I hope and all of the lines rhyme

I am rewriting the poem on 4 separate artifacts. Perhaps the image will give you a clue as to the nature of my arts and crafts project :)

Tim
[/quote]
No problem.

BTW has anyone looked at the first letter of each line of the poem?
Y'know what I like about this effect as well... it doesn't have to be supernatural at all. Not at all.

However, I will make it so for me as I find adding supernatural is what makes me present things more intensely...

What also has been bubbling in my mind is making this a TWIN PEAKS style presentation. Who killed Laura Palmer????? Has there been weird things that have been happening in this town for years... centuries... ancient aboriginal tales of the spirits of the fog... the Dark Lodge...

You could even make this a bit lighthearted (dodges thrown firebrand)... by making the party invitees agents of the FBI, police, etc...

One last idea - a recent murder took place in the same area that has similar aspects... in fact... a pattern is there... and the clues to solve the current murder involve solving the old one... before the killer strikes again!

(How can the killer kill every 70 years? cuz its supernatural ;))...

Anyway - lots of ways to spin this... but I am going to do an old style Twin Peaks party for this for sure... and add in the 15th tech photo as I posted at OUTLAW and other additions...

Cue the Angelo B Music...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Bu47aWv0Fo
[quote]
On 2013-01-14 05:41, Roth wrote:
[quote]

Tim
[/quote]
No problem.

BTW has anyone looked at the first letter of each line of the poem?
[/quote]

Yes, it's awesome. That is what I was referring to...

An "acrostic" is a message in the first letter of each line. I enhanced the acrostic within my version to convey a more direct message - what I referred to as the signiture of the killer. See my attached image to my post above and you can see the tweaked acrostic on the right hand side of the image.

:)
Hello all!
I'm new to this kind of magic, so be patient :)

I don't understand how this piece work. Is this like a role playing game with the performer acting as a master?

What kind of "magic effect" is going do perform?

What is covered in the instructions (if there are any) and what it's left out?

I found this product very very interesting.

Thanks!
I didn't understand what I was buying when I purchased Shutterbug. The Outlaw Effects web site explains the props you get. The props are beautiful. Be aware that the plot takes place in the United States.

So what is Shutterbug you ask? Shutterbug provides a basic routine and props. There is a "main" effect where your spectator is led to a key piece of evidence. This "revelation" is made by walking in the path of the killer...a trail of photographic breadcrumbs. Tantalizing clues left behind by a sociopath with a camera.

You are provided a story about a missing woman, a suspect, a detective and at least one crime (maybe more). But, no clear conclusion to the story is provided! You are free to let the spectators solve the mystery the story...or not.

There is at least one other secret in the poem that, if scripted correctly, could be very creepy and fun. Rick referred to it a couple posts back.

I believe Shutterbug could be presented as a murder mystery, or something darker or more paranormal. This could be a 10 minute routine or it could take you all evening if you choose to construct an elaborate routine and add your own props.

Shutterbug is not easily made into a stage effect and nor walk around in a restaurant. It will require some table space or a way to display the photos. In my opinion, this is more of a dinner party event or a parlor routine. I think the audience would be rather small for this to work.

That's my take...hope it helps!

Tim
Thank you Tim, you are raising the curtain a bit.

I made a living with murder parties years ago and this offers share some characteristics to classic murder parties.
But some are so strange to that world that made this product unusable for that kind of evenings.

Two for all: the reduced audience and the unclear ending.

Mystery lovers wants a culprit. It's a requirement.

But I still don't understand the magic effect. Is it some kind of force?

You rightly specified that the story is based in US. I'm in Italy, so it would be helpful if the props have little to no text.

Thank you! I'm really intrigued!
The ending can be made clear - or not. its a performer's choice.
And the ending can be more detective story or supernatural effect, again, performer's choice.

Marc
I must resist...

Purchased!
[quote]
On 2013-01-15 14:32, Xizzy wrote:
I must resist...

Purchased!
[/quote]

Head over to the OutlawEffects forum as soon as you get this. There is a good conversation going on there in the Shutterbug sub-forum.
Xizzy you won't be disappointed - if you take your time - you'll see it has numerous presentation aspects - from mood setting - murder mystery fun to supernatural horror and more

Join the discussion and have fun
I need to make time to get over there.
SB
I do not have this yet,but may I ask?
Can the photos,be added to a old photo album,then removed to go into play?
Or,would this affect presentation? (not asking exposure!)

~G
Yes they can
And that can work really well to so you can build the story and show thr backs when you want
There's been some excellent comments here by those who REALLY understand Shutterbug (or are starting to), however they've only scratched the surface.

There's much more to come--much, much more--but not yet, not yet.

RIP Mary.

Or not.
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Sk990pKn7vY&feature=relmfu
Not sure where I should post this, but it just occurred to me that the way I want to do this is to turn the photos away from me and build the TC diagram from that point of view rather than with me looking at them face up.
If that's what others have already thought through better than me I apologize for being the big dummy, but I gotta say that really really just rocked my world and altered my fundamental understanding of this trick.

Posted more on forum.
[quote]
On 2013-01-16 21:05, Dr Spektor wrote:
Xizzy you won't be disappointed - if you take your time - you'll see it has numerous presentation aspects - from mood setting - murder mystery fun to supernatural horror and more

Join the discussion and have fun
[/quote]

We'll meet there :)
[quote]
On 2013-01-16 22:32, Godzilla wrote:
I do not have this yet,but may I ask?
Can the photos,be added to a old photo album,then removed to go into play?
Or,would this affect presentation? (not asking exposure!)

~G
[/quote]

Great idea! And I have somewere the right leather photo album :)
TRICK ? Blasphemy !

SB
At least the way I intend on presenting it of course.
And if that last blaspheme was intended on my use of the word, thank you good sir for the compliment, for I take a small pride in my blasphemies.

Marc
Not sure if Godzilla got an answer to the photo question, but wouldn't affect effect at all. In fact, I play the whole thing out of a cigar box and I think there are advantages to not starting with everything the the envelope. I'm a newspaper editor by profession, so I got the box from an old cops reporter who was buddies with the detective who was haunted by the thing. But it could just as easily be your uncle the cop's box. I've posted more on this on the effect forum, but don't want to say more here because it starts getting into questions of method.

Marc
[quote]

Tim
[/quote]

Check out the display I made to display the photos and poem. I linked to a few pictures under the "Stacked Photos" and "The Poem" topics on the Outlaw Effects forum.
Shutterbug owners, I've posted some additional comments on the OutlawEffects Forum in the "14th photo" and "Additional Props" subforums for Shutterbug, that may be of interest.
I'm still waiting for mine... GOSH!
I recently recieved mine and I am slowly working through it. An outstanding job by all involved.
Remarkable props and very cool concept. I look forward to reading the forum.
This is GREAT fun!
Last weekend I did shutterbug the first time at a paid dinner event. I wasn't too sure if it works out as good with bigger groups of people than it does in a small more private environment.
I started the show with some mind reading, after the starters I did something out my own. Before the desert I wanted them to have something to talk about and did shutterbug. I had some slight language problems due to the age of my audience. But it played big and had a good impact and gave them a lot to talk about.
I ended the evening with lun@ 36 (still waiting for the other 3 books :) ) and got 2 additional booking requests.
That proofs again, there its a market for bizaare magick in Germany and well explained that "English" stuff is workable.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/15562253@N03/8438925648/][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8222/8438925648_31031368ed.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/15562253@N03/8438925648/]SutterbugPostmark[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/15562253@N03/]tbwendt[/url], on Flickr

I'm thinking about making a rubber stamp to stamp my poem postcards.

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/15562253@N03/8399767975/][img]http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8355/8399767975_698e81b810.jpg[/img][/url]
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/15562253@N03/8399767975/]ShutterbugPostcard[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/15562253@N03/]tbwendt[/url], on Flickr

Any thoughts on the date and location of the postmark?
Still waiting on mine, oh the pain!!
Quote:

Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!

That's not what I heard p*nis!
[quote]
On 2013-02-10 11:16, Van Helmont wrote:
Quote:

Definition of a Freudian slip; Saying one thing and meaning a "mother"!

That's not what I heard p*nis!
[/quote]
LOL! That's good
Shutterbugs are back in stock and shipping again :bat:
Did anyone have any thoughts on the date and location of my postmark idea? I guess I wasn't super clear on my intent. Instead of the poem being on the provided sheet of aged paper, I reworded and recopied onto 4 real, unused U.S. pre-paid postcards from the 1940s. I am buying a custom-made, rubber stamp to add a postmark over the pre-printed stamp.

BTW, these unused 1940s postcards are fairly easy to find. And you don't even have to age them!

I created a realistic postmark image (shown above) depicting a postmark from Grandview OH on December 24, 1943. My question to my fellow Shutterbuggers is this....before I order the rubber stamp, what do you think about the date and location? Does that date make sense within the story line. It implies that the killer came back to Grandview to mail the poem. Is that enough time to convict and execute the man who was found guilty?

If anyone is interested I'll make the project file available to anyone who wants it. I created it in GIMP - a free, open source clone of Photoshop. Then you can create your own Shutterbug postmarked artifacts.

Tim
[quote]
On 2012-10-31 00:06, Frankie wrote:
[quote]
Just curious, where are the photos location based? Is it U.S or U.K?[/quote]

Playing detective, I found one of the locations:

[img]http://www.lakesnwoods.com/images/Farmin46.gif[/img]
The movie theater in Farmington Minnesota... making it U.S. based?

Poor Mary might have been taken to the movies! :bwink:
[/quote]

Anyone else notice Bank Nite on the marque? This effect looks and sounds fantastic and since I love photography, I have an affinity for effects which use photos like Jay Sankey`s Nalied or the 21 card trick (can`t remember its proper name) which uses photos of the cards.
[quote]
On 2013-02-16 14:58, konjurer wrote:
Did anyone have any thoughts on the date and location of my postmark idea? I guess I wasn't super clear on my intent. Instead of the poem being on the provided sheet of aged paper, I reworded and recopied onto 4 real, unused U.S. pre-paid postcards from the 1940s. I am buying a custom-made, rubber stamp to add a postmark over the pre-printed stamp.

BTW, these unused 1940s postcards are fairly easy to find. And you don't even have to age them!

I created a realistic postmark image (shown above) depicting a postmark from Grandview OH on December 24, 1943. My question to my fellow Shutterbuggers is this....before I order the rubber stamp, what do you think about the date and location? Does that date make sense within the story line. It implies that the killer came back to Grandview to mail the poem. Is that enough time to convict and execute the man who was found guilty?

If anyone is interested I'll make the project file available to anyone who wants it. I created it in GIMP - a free, open source clone of Photoshop. Then you can create your own Shutterbug postmarked artifacts.

Tim
[/quote]
I think it's great. If you have not already, please post the info on the Shutterbug forum. Very nice!

-Rick
Finally I'm into action... The first evening was a success!

Just a note: one of my mates observed that no body-> no murder, so my unlucky culprit ended his own life in jail, too ashamed to see another day.

How do you use the check?
Under US law you don't necessarily need a body, though it makes it hard to get a conviction, unless the girl were popular and the suspect creepy, so it's all in the scripting...

Marc
Hi folks,

I know, I am very late to the party, but received my Shutterbug just yesterday.

Everythink looks fine and very promising, but I miss any script/manual.

Is there any and how do I get it.
Same with the password for the Shutterbug forum.

Can anybody help me?

Many thanks in advance

A.J.
Pm me. I have it
Pulled Shutterbug out and looked through it this weekend. Does anyone perform this anymore?
[quote]On Mar 1, 2021, greerj wrote:
Pulled Shutterbug out and looked through it this weekend. Does anyone perform this anymore? [/quote]

That's a great question. I imagine it has moved into the collectable realm more than performance. I am curious to know.
[quote]On Mar 1, 2021, weepinwil wrote:
[quote]On Mar 1, 2021, greerj wrote:
Pulled Shutterbug out and looked through it this weekend. Does anyone perform this anymore? [/quote]

That's a great question. I imagine it has moved into the collectable realm more than performance. I am curious to know. [/quote]

Actually, you and I may be examples of that.
I've used it with a custom Marc Charisse box that makes the revelation much better. There does need to have a 'lady of the lake' web entry made to replace the one that existed for a short time.
Message: Posted by: Pasteboard Alchemist (Mar 1, 2021 04:39PM)
[quote]On Mar 1, 2021, Seance wrote:
There does need to have a 'lady of the lake' web entry made to replace the one that existed for a short time. [/quote]

I've got a domain I maintain, which I have populated (and will continue to populate) with articles dated from from quite some time back, on an intentionally-sophomoric-early-2000s-looking blog where I intersperse articles to support different presentations. If there's need for a home online about some weird story, get me the content that the old article had, and I can host it there.
Late to the party here - but curious about presentation ideas with this kit - The props look good - and the idea of the spectator going through the steps seems relatively neat.

Does anyone still perform this? If so, what are some of your presentation ideas?

Thanks in advance for any replies on this
[quote]On Apr 4, 2021, Damian1031 wrote:
Late to the party here - but curious about presentation ideas with this kit - The props look good - and the idea of the spectator going through the steps seems relatively neat.

Does anyone still perform this? If so, what are some of your presentation ideas?

Thanks in advance for any replies on this [/quote]

I doubt it is performed at this stage of ownership, not too sure it ever was very much, as it has passed into the realm of the collector by now. I own one but never performed with it.
I performed it once or twice to friends, but it never went as hard hitting as planned. I don't think you could present it really successful to bigger audiences. It is more for collectors or very small and intimate groups.
I have Shutterbug & used it several times & learned 1 thing. I found that I needed to invite a small group 7-8 (10 max), 5 orv6 preferred, as a murder mystery/brain teaser presentation to only those wanting to be truly tested in they're abilities of both psychic & as a detective. I would prime them up with a few testing effects to find those that may be more in tune to discovering thing, 1 or 2 closer effects pending on how things went.

Making a mental escape room/amature detectives theme seemed to work best & they stuck with it as the challenge to whom would solve the mystery. I have a few effects like shutterbug I treat the same & usually do as re invites to those same & they gobbled up the challenges !!

The effects went over much better as a game challenge effect than trying to make them a parlour/stage performance imo.
Thanks for the replies - it seems like it would be a great contributing piece to an entire set based on true crime/ghost stories - I certainly agree that this would absolutely never be a parlor piece, it seems to be designed for close up sets

I think it has a ton of potential. Mine came with 3 copies of the shop that has the reveal - I am sure that was to allow for various ideas/presentations