(Close Window)
Topic: Lassen Clad Coin sets
I'm not sure if this has been posted here before or not, but recently Lassen started doing clad coins, making shells and such...I just wanted to advise that I received a set today of Eisenhower dollars with a shell..and the quality is the same as his silver line! I'm very impressed with the craftsmanship, and also the price was perfect...not trying to be a Lassen fanboy by any means...I have other gaffs from other makers, but for anyone looking to get into coin magic and not spend a fortune on silver...here is your chance to own quality gaffs for a good price, with a trusted name in the coin gaff business...
I have also said this about his clad coins. glad to see someone else's opinion on this. his price's also are very good on these set's.
I have one of his regular shell sets and the craftsmanship is great. Would REALLY recommend this to any beginner for their first set or a backup for any "serious" worker who wants a set to carry every day and wants to save their fancy stuff for gigs.
Clad coins are nice and most people have probably held one before where silver coin have a mystique to them. all coins serve their purpose in the right hands
Just got a mail for his new scotch and soda sets. They look great.
Yeah, I saw that Poly... I just ordered a clad Kennedy shell set and now I have to scrape together more $ if I want the S&S. The man is going to break me!

Jim
That man has my retirement checks already!
Same here....
Well, at least the clad sets will take LESS of your retirement checks than his custom silver sets, Trooper. Ha. I think he is trying to get your son's paper route money too, with his new line, but it's really nice stuff. It's still being custom made, basically, and quality controlled the same way his custom products are handled. And that is a fur piece above the other commercial producers these days.
Yea...i can see him grabbing the paper route $$...its like we are kids who cant help ourself...I see Lassens stuff and I am like "oh I have to have that!!!" haha...The set I got yesterday was impressive for a CLAD set...
I received the dollar size sun and moon set yesterday. a very nice set of coins.
todd
Which set Todd? doesn't he have several?
Are Todd's Scotch & Soda sets via Magnetic or using a Bang Ring??
Bang ring!
The one I got jeff has the dollar size copper walking liberty face on it.it is a gorgeous set of coins. salby the ones on his site has a bang ring with them.
todd

Posted: Oct 7, 2012 1:17am
His new csb sets are out for sale now at 99.00 bucks. to his customers on his mailing list.only 20 available. 19 left now.lol these are beautiful coins.a kennedy-peru and a chinese coin are used.
todd
Todd you are supporting Lassens Retirement lol!!
Yea probaley so dan.
Waiting on the Kennedy shell set and the S&S set he listed recently. :)

Jim
I am so tempted on the CSB.
[quote]
On 2012-10-10 01:46, BanzaiMagic wrote:
[/quote]

Me too lol
[quote]
On 2012-10-10 01:46, BanzaiMagic wrote:
[/quote]
I have one like it, except it has a Walking Liberty half. Johnson custom set I purchased from TC Ryder's site. Otherwise I would go for it.

Jim

Posted: Oct 11, 2012 1:07am
Hmm. Oddly enough, according to the USPS tracking site the S&S set I ordered is already in town and probably will be delivered tomorrow. However it also says that the shell set I order a full week before the S&S is still in Colorado. I might have to call and see what's up with that.

Jim
[quote]
On 2012-10-10 22:27, J-Mac wrote:
I have one like it, except it has a Walking Liberty half. Johnson custom set I purchased from TC Ryder's site. Otherwise I would go for it.

Jim
[/quote]

I have a Schoolcraft set with Walking Liberty. The thing is 1) the Peruvian and brass coins are privately minted by Lassen and look extremely good looking and purportedly highly durable (whereas the Peruvian coin in my set is looking a bit "spotty") and 2) since this is a clad rather than a silver coin, I wouldn't be as worried about dropping/misplacing the coins. Decisions decisions.

BTW, Lassen has posted a link to a new Kranzo CSB routine on his blog.
I received a link to new magnetic gravity flippers today. They look real nice. Someone has been very busy with new products lately. Anyone receive their scotch and soda or csb yet?
Waiting on my lassen csb set.
todd
Just got my S&S today, Poly. Truly excellent! Definitely worth the price.

I must call Todd though; my shell set which was shipped seven days earlier is still showing as in Aurora, CO. Methinks it may be lost. :(

Jim
Received my S&S the other day - it is sweeet!
Always thought it would be a good idea to do this. Real glad somebody did, and that Todd did it, well, you know it's being done right. :) I don't care what people say about him, he does great work, expensive or cheap (Well, at least cheap for Todd's stuff). :D

The silver stuff is nice but this option will go a long way as to quality and budget. Think Mogar has done some similar stuff like this even cheaper in using replica coins to make gaffs & [ s, etc. Lots of good options out there, especially when you know that really specs don't care much what you use. I'm just sayin''. :) Actually, I've always said that it don't matter what you use but how you use it, or perhaps whose using it, or something like that. :D

Anyway, more gaff power to you. :)
Todd is releasing magnetic flippers in dollar size - top quality as his custom Morgans but verrrry affordable
And finally the Eike flippers, magnetic and non!!

Can't wait for mine to arrive. Already have the shells and copper sets. Beautiful and specially priced!

That is a first!
Ike flippers.
Well I started this thread on buying Ike Shells, I will DEF be buying an ike flipper! They look GORGEOUS!
I can't believe I am raving about a clad coin gaff, but my Lassen clad CSB just came and it is more colorful and interesting than I expected. I'm not sure I will be selling my old Schoolcraft Walker CSB set, but I'm planning to use this set as my "go to" set from here on out. The fit on the gaff is just something you have to experience to really understand, and the mirrored/matte finish on the Chinese and Peruvian coins is unbelievable. The best $100 I have spent recently.

Alan
I fully agree alan ita a beautiful set indeed.
todd
Heads up guys. Only 18 minutes left, but this is the only time I have seen the very limited edition Lassen dime and penny set (Indian penny/mercury dime) for sale anywhere. Good price too (at least so far):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=271082569824

BTW - I have nothing to do with this listing and I will not be selling my set!
Its a nice looking set alan
todd
Somebody got a GREAT bargain! A mini sun/moon as well as a set you can use for all the S&S and dime/penny routines. When Todd did these, I think there were only 20 or so sets. Hope its somebody here on the Café.
Yea I got One Some time Back When He did The last set! :) It had the lose C/S with it! Some cool stuff you can do with that! :)
I received my magnetic Kennedy flipper and CSB set from Todd's Clad site today. Beautiful stuff!! Amazing CSB set; I have mostly the same coins in a custom Johnson set though the Johnson set has a Walking Liberty half, and Todd's clad set is every bit as nice, if not nicer.

Flipper came apart on me as soon as I opened it unfortunately. Band was kinda tight and the double-sided tape let go. :( I got it back together but this is why I mostly use flippers just to play with by myself and never for spectators anymore. Really tough to recover when this happens in front of people.

Jim
[quote]
On 2012-10-23 00:38, J-Mac wrote:
I received my magnetic Kennedy flipper and CSB set from Todd's Clad site today. Beautiful stuff!! Amazing CSB set; I have mostly the same coins in a custom Johnson set though the Johnson set has a Walking Liberty half, and Todd's clad set is every bit as nice, if not nicer.
[/quote]

I have the same Walker set by Schoolcraft, but I am loving my Lassen clad CSB more and more as I play with it. Each coin just stands out so clearly - and I don't worry so much about dropping.

Sorry to hear about the Flipper. Sounds easy to fix, though. I agree about the reliability of flippers generally. Especially here in Florida, where rubber bands tend to disintegrate.

Alan
[quote]
On 2012-10-23 02:42, BanzaiMagic wrote:
I agree about the reliability of flippers generally. Especially here in Florida, where rubber bands tend to disintegrate.

Alan
[/quote]

Yeah, the reliability of flippers has greatly increased my love of shells and C/S coins. And CSB! :)

Thanks!

Jim
I fully agree jim.
Jim, contrary to what people recommend, I use a very small amount of rubber cement in place of the double stick tape. To remove it I just put it near heat, and it typically comes right apart. I might use the oven burner and get the coin pretty hot (not really super hot though) and it works every time. This allows the flipper to sit completely flat and after you leave it to dry for a while, it doesn't come apart until you want it to. The issue then is definitely breaking a band, but Lassen provides some pretty nice rubber bands.
Not trying to be controversial, but aren't these just more 'toys for the boys'?

As I've just put on another thread, why keep spending your money on shells, flippers, etc. when a TUC does both (and a whole lot more)?
Well maybe because A TUC Is Great In the Hands. But I had Layman Say " That Coin Looks A Little Thin What wrong with it If you Put it on the table by it's self!!! And no there not Toys, There Tools! :)
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 12:14, Merc Man wrote:
Not trying to be controversial, but aren't these just more 'toys for the boys'?

As I've just put on another thread, why keep spending your money on shells, flippers, etc. when a TUC does both (and a whole lot more)?
[/quote]

Hi Barry!

I just prefer good, well made shells, C/S coins, and CSB sets. BTW I do have 5 TUCs - one is presently broken, one never worked from the start, and the others are fine and work very well. But do I really have to like 'em more because you're telling me to? ;)

Thanks!

Jim
Jim - Your TUC's that are broken/don't work - contact Marcello fella. I'm sure he'll put this right for you.

I've never been called on the thinness of the leaf personally David - and in all honesty, it shouldn't be on display for too long anyway. Even when you are performing Matrix on the table top, it's covered pretty quickly.

I loved using shells and flippers for many years, but can't honestly see myself ever going back. At the end of the day. It has to be something that works for you. To this end, I always have the 2p and 10p versions in my pocket and I'm never stuck for something to do.

The only alteration that I made was adding some Teflon tape inside the shell. By doing this, the separation is so much simpler.

If only Tango made a TUC folder that popped into a bottle - I'd then be in 'coin magic Utopia'. ;)
No you won't On the air! but MaybeI am just Paranoid But I do A Ton of stuff where it's Out For a lot Longer then Just a Sec. ! :)
I may need to give the clad sets a try.
[quote]
On 2012-10-21 21:58, BanzaiMagic wrote:
Somebody got a GREAT bargain! A mini sun/moon as well as a set you can use for all the S&S and dime/penny routines. When Todd did these, I think there were only 20 or so sets. Hope its somebody here on the Café.
[/quote]
Yea and he also had a lose C/S Dime in the set! So you can do a lot more stuff with it! :)
I wonder if hes gonna make a CSB set with the clads. I have the clad uwc with the walking liberty dollar size copper coin and an ike dollar. Just beautifull!
I just bought a clad CSB from Todd. It's my go to set right now. Not only do I not have to worry (much) about dropping like I do with my WL set, but it comes with his brass Chinese coin and his Peruvian llama coin. It's a beauty and it is smooth as silk.

Make sure you are on his spam list so you'll know when these become available again.

Alan
OH I am on the spam list. Made sure of that!
I have one of the csb sets also.
a very nice set of coins.
todd
Little off subject, but a lot of you coin guys will like my post on Where to Put It All forum. IMHO the end all beat all carry bag for coin and card men (and ladies)
[quote]
On 2012-12-05 22:34, Poof-Daddy wrote:
Little off subject, but a lot of you coin guys will like my post on Where to Put It All forum. IMHO the end all beat all carry bag for coin and card men (and ladies)
[/quote]

Link?
I just received my X[ with four matching New Zealand Pennies set, and it's excellent. The New Zealand Pennies are just marginally larger than a Clad Kennedy. The precision is incredible, and they are pretty easy to work with. The price point is excellent for 4 matching coins with an x[. They're different and interesting, but aren't as expensive and 'risky' to damage as silver Walkers or Morgans.

Andrew
They are a very nice intresting set of coins andrew.