(Close Window)
Topic: Words that we must NEVER forget.
This is off topic, forgive me- and yet it is perhaps more relevant today than at any time.

Inadvertantly, I ran across this on Brother Devious' website and it struck the same resonant chord in me that it did the first time I saw it.

For those of you unfamiliar with the story of this particular piece or the artist who created it, a brief summary:

Sir Charles Spencer Chaplin was a remarkable and versatile entertainer. Forever typecast in the role that he made iconic, he nevertheless continued to stretch himself artistically, seeking to address the deeper mysteries and irrevocable truths that made the ethos/pathos of his character so appealing.

One of the few silent film era stars to continue working after the introduction of 'talkies', he became obsessed with creating what he felt was his most poignant and enduring statement on politics and humanity. He wrote, produced, directed and starred -at his own expense- what is probably one of the greatest and least recognized films of all time. His last picture, "The Great Dictator" was an extremely risky venture, particularly given the political climate of Europe in the 1940's.

Sir Charles Chaplin could have shelved the film; not pursued his dream- one that led to ridicule and scorn from the Nazi Party and others. But the performer that brought us to tears of joy and sorrow as 'The Tramp' had something to say, something that he felt AGAINST ALL ODDS needed to be said.

And despite everything, he risked it all to follow his dream- to ensure his message survived and WAS HEARD.

More than 40 years after it was released, I heard that message and I have never forgotten it.

If you have ever wondered, pondered or considered what it is that drives me; what it is that I believe in; what it is that makes me REFUSE to give up, no matter how hard things are...

THIS IS WHY.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w8HdOHrc3OQ
Ekuth, thanks for posting that for us!
I'm very moved by his words in what can only be described as the best speech ever.
Thanks for sharing it here as well Brother! I'm very fond of my military career,
but this is something that WE SHOULD ALL TAKE HEED OF.

His words cause my soul to tremble to the core. We are in trouble folks
Wake up or Mother Earth will do it for you!

We got your back Brother!
Message: Posted by: Eric the Excellent (Oct 11, 2012 11:10PM)
Every bit at inspirational now as it was the first time I watched it. I didn't even know that Charlie Chaplain talked, at the time; now that was a shock!
Thanks for sharing Ekuth. We must remember to fight for freedom. Without freedom we have nothing. Victor Frankl said it so well when he spoke of our last remaining freedom being the 'freedom to choose'. Choose well my dear friends and colleagues.

Ray