(Close Window)
Topic: Best Chop Cup!
What is the go to chop cup you use? Have you found the strength of some to be better than others?
I am looking for my first actual chop cup and would like to hit the perfect one first try! I am looking to have about a baseball - lemon sized final load.

Apologies if this has been asked before but after searching I haven't found a similar thread.

Regards Gibbo
Gibbo,

Are you going to be using this strolling/table hopping?

I find for me a mini is the best for table hopping as it doesn't take up too much room. Also the final loads are significantly smaller to carry as well. I can't imagine carrying a baseball around on me all night. It would be so annoying because of the weight and size. With the mini you can use painted ping pong balls or solid rubber bouncy balls for the final load. I use rubber mini billiard balls that I got out of a gumball machine. They are basically the size of a golf ball (which you can also use) but lighter and allow you to bounce it to show it is solid.

You are probably going to get a lot of different answers but for me a Don Alan Mini (http://www.rnt2.com/cups/chop-cups/mini-chop-cup/) for table hopping and a larger cup for my parlor show.

Good luck,

Paul
James Risers cups are the best...for me, I have tried them all.
Baseball and lemon are a pretty big difference in size.

In reality you may be in for a lot of experimentation. What is right for you may not be right for everyone.
Message: Posted by: Aaron Smith Magic (Oct 20, 2012 11:16AM)
For me, it's the Dan Tong set. I use a lemon as the final load.

http://www.magicbypauline.com/ring.html
Thanks for the responses,

I will probably use it for table hopping as well as parlor, size isn't a concern, what ever achieves the greater effect in my opinion.

A lemon has a different size than baseball, it was in this size range of chop cup I am aiming for :)

Also an explanation why you chose you specific cup might be handy, is it the strength of the gimmick you like, the shape, the way it holds the final load...

Magically,
Gibbo
Does anyone use this cup?

http://www.wellingtonent.com/products/chopcup.html
[quote]
On 2012-10-20 18:32, 123crampt wrote:
Does anyone use this cup?

http://www.wellingtonent.com/products/chopcup.html
[/quote]

Gosh that's beautiful. Resisting the impulse buy...
If you are on a budget Penguin has a small Morrissey one as well about the size of a shot glass, I love it! http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13880
While not a chop cup, I am very pleased with Axel Hecklau's 'just a cup' which I have had for a while now. I have a few cheap cups which are OK, but the one that I think looks really nice is here:
http://www.theambitiouscard.com/aitem.cfm?itemid=32
I would of ordered one by now, but I'm just holding out until Christmas as the postage to the UK is understandably more.. The brown Gator looks fantastic... must resist!
The Ambitious Card has an excellent reputation for quality items and this cup offers several advantages over traditional metal cups.
David French do you use the large or small James Risers cups, which would you recommend?
I normally only do the Chop Cup behind the bar, usually twice a night. On a very rare occasion I will take it to a table I've already been at and they want more. I use the copper Don Alan Cup from rings and things. Usually limes are the load, or baseballs, or one of each.
Behind the bar, in one of my sets, I use the "Bar Cup" by Roger Nicot. This is before the latest version that comes with a strainer top (I altered one of my others to fit the chop cup). I love the weight and the heavy duty feel of this shaker cup PLUS I can actually use it to chill a cocktail and then it is a perfect segue into my routine. If I am not using the Bar Cup then I go with a borrowed empty pint glass and money off the bar (my own devise, similar to Just A Cup but WAY different).

Cheers,

Justin
A good economy cup is the Ickle Pickle Widemouth. The smaller cup, by IP, is good, too.
I am fortunate enough to live in a part of the county where craftsmen still exist. Mine is made exactly as I wanted.
My copper Morrisey mini is my favorite cup for walk around.

Mike
I use a mini chop cup which looks exactly like a shot measuring cup from one of those vintage portable bar sets from the sixties.
This is a featured effect I use in all of my adult strolling gigs. For me, it is the perfect in the hands chop cup routine. The routine centers around using the shot glass cup and a little red ball to test my abilities to hold my liquor. The more I drink...the harder it is to determine if the ball is under the cup or in my pocket. It's a little game that can drive you nuts... (first load a walnut) if you want to play a game using a ball and a little tin cup...that will drive you nuts...I'd play golf! (2nd load golf ball)
The routine takes the "challenge" aspect off of the spectator, provides a novel storyline and produces some great laughs.
Thanks for the advice everyone this is the cup I settled on

The thing is though, I need 1 1/2 inch chop cup balls RNT only sell up to 1 3/8! I was told James Tong makes custom balls, I'll try him :)

http://www.rnt2.com/don-alan-full-size-chop-cup-copper-mirror-finish.html

Cheers
Try Magic Laurie, her neon yellow balls are beautiful..
I use the Don Alan Brass cup, it's perfect and can use whatever final loads I prefer.... The Wheatley cup in Brass looks like the Don Alan....
Bill
How do I find this Magic Laurie?
Here is her website.

http://www.magicalaurie.com/monkeyfists.html

Hudson
Above all do take yer time...yer got be comfortable with yer props
I got a chop cup from Auke van Dokkum. He have a really great cups (and coins). It's looks wonderful... so the performance with the cups have to be iether!

(By the way: Somebody told me that Micheal Ammar since a his cups used. Seen by a recentely trailer. And he want to sell his cups also.. but I don't know.)
I had the welliington and it was great, but now I use a handmade Curly Cocobolo Elegance Cup from Gareth Gwatkin. This is awesome and Gareth is a really nice guy!
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=642170802494564&set=pb.191081907603458.-2207520000.1390854160.&type=3&theater
I realize that they're not the size you're looking for, but I actually have 4 (I love them so much) of the Mini Don Alans made from Donnie over at RNT2:

http://www.rnt2.com/index.php?dispatch=products.search&search_performed=Y&match=any&q=Don+Alan&pname=Y&cid=184&category_name=Chop+Cups&subcats=Y

I think I have a Chop Cup problem, lol.
[quote]
On 2014-01-28 10:01, Jamie D. Grant wrote:
I realize that they're not the size you're looking for, but I actually have 4 (I love them so much) of the Mini Don Alans made from Donnie over at RNT2:

http://www.rnt2.com/index.php?dispatch=products.search&search_performed=Y&match=any&q=Don+Alan&pname=Y&cid=184&category_name=Chop+Cups&subcats=Y

I think I have a Chop Cup problem, lol.
[/quote]
Could you recommend a good source for learning the mini chop cup using the spectators hand?Thanks.I just checked the link you provided and I like the Chrome Mini chop cup.
I have been using the Don Alan cup (both regular and mini) for 34 years. Absolutely love them.
I love the Johnson Chop Cup. I've been using my cup for over 14 years.
A nice thing about the Morrissey mini is that it looks very much like something you'd normally find at the bar. A regular size chop cup looks weird. Have you ever seen someone drink out of a cup that looks like a chop cup? I use my Morrissey mini all the time; it's perfect for table hopping. I use small red potatoes for the final loads that are about the size of a golf ball.
I picked up a micro alter ego from RNT2 recently and love it. It looks like a stainless steel shot glass used in a bar. I'm learning the Dennis Loomis routine, as recommended by Jamie in his magic Friday episode demo. It doesn't happen in the specs hand; that would be an interesting challenge. It's performed in your own hands, no table, and is short and sweet. If you're looking for small, this is it and it plays big.

The only real downfall is the manuscript for the routine is currently out of print.

Andrew
[quote]
On 2014-01-29 07:56, CdnAndrew wrote:
I picked up a micro alter ego from RNT2 recently and love it. It looks like a stainless steel shot glass used in a bar. I'm learning the Dennis Loomis routine, as recommended by Jamie in his magic Friday episode demo. It doesn't happen in the specs hand; that would be an interesting challenge. It's performed in your own hands, no table, and is short and sweet. If you're looking for small, this is it and it plays big.

The only real downfall is the manuscript for the routine is currently out of print.

Andrew
[/quote]
Thanks, my mistake. I couldn't understand how the spectator couldn't feel the balls in their hand. I like the idea of not needing a table and using your hands. I'm going to try and find the Loomis routine.
Not a problem. You should check out Jamie's Magic Friday on YouTube. He reviews the routine, his chop cups, and does a variation of the routine.

If you find a source for the routine, please share it; I'm sure many others would love to pick it up.

Andrew
Go full size chop cup. It's miniature theater for the table. Yes it takes up pocket space for the F.L. But it's so worth it!
I completely agree--full size chop cup kills. I've worked with both the mini and the full size, and I just think there's something about a (supposedly) unpalmable load (lemon, tennis ball, the brighter the better) that really shocks the table. I always hear comments like "how is that possible? You can't hide that in your hand!" or something to that effect. I wonder if, on some level, the spectators aren't as impressed with a mini load because they know it can be hidden in the hand.

For those of you that have the Don Alan's, how do they hold up in terms of scratches and dings? The Morrisey cups looks pretty beat up after a few weeks.
My go to is an original Rings N Things Don Alan full size Chop Cup. I've had it since the 70's.
Last year I found another one on line for sale, Like New, and snatched it up as a back up. Although I never needed a back up since the 70's, but you never know.
If you do decide to go with the Mini on the hands (that's the one I do) check out some hackey-sacks! They make for perfect final loads and aren't as uncomfortable in your pants when you're wearing a suit!
I wonder if you had the spectator hold a beverage coaster in their hand, maybe you could do this on top of the coaster. Then again, I've been accused of trying to redesign the wheel before.;0)
[quote]
On 2014-02-01 10:48, ralphs007 wrote:
I wonder if you had the spectator hold a beverage coaster in their hand, maybe you could do this on top of the coaster. Then again, I've been accused of trying to redesign the wheel before.;0)
[/quote]

that's actually a really good idea.

a beverage coaster would probably work well enough. but it might be even better to have something that they need to hold in both hands (so like a mini-rectangular close up pad that was solid)... that way there's no chance they use their other hand to look under the cup when they're not supposed to.

you could also use that for a stand up verison of skinner's monte or twisted sisters or other tricks where you might need a bit of table space but you're in a walk around situation.
A jeweler's pad would probably work well.
Flat surface. I can see the ball rolling off already. You might try a folded cloth napkin or handkerchief.
I feel like I'm a day late and a dollar short, but with the mini Morrissey cups out of commission, is RNT2's Don Allen really the only option for quality mini cups? Don't get me wrong, they're absolutely beautiful. I'm just curious if they are worth the price for a worker on a budget, or if they're more for the chop cup enthusiast.
The mini Don's from RNT II are excellent cups.
Well worth the money and are real workers.
All the modern features plus it can be used on any surface.
Leather has a lot of advantages.

Close-up pad? We don't need no stinking close-up pad!
[img]http://theambitiouscard.com/img/products/www-greenChop.jpg[/img]
I am using a cheap old Bazar de magia full size cup (my mini Don Alan is on it's way soon) but I can still do the ball through spectators hand and final loads in the hand. I find they are so excited about what is going on they don't even register the mass of the final load (also it is normally body temperature as I have I in my trouser pocket for at least the few warm up tricks I do).
I have the Cup that is pictured above from Frank. The leather cups are a beauty! I also have a Don Allen Chop that I love as well!
[quote]On Jan 7, 2015, Hudson Lee wrote:
I feel like I'm a day late and a dollar short, but with the mini Morrissey cups out of commission, is RNT2's Don Allen really the only option for quality mini cups? Don't get me wrong, they're absolutely beautiful. I'm just curious if they are worth the price for a worker on a budget, or if they're more for the chop cup enthusiast. [/quote]

If on a budget,go for the aluminum satin, that's the one I have. A worker for sure.
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but does anyone know how the Ickle Pickle mini cups compare to the RNT Don Allen cups? And I see Magic Makers also do a mini cup - is it worth spending a bit more on the RNT? They do look nice. I may try doing a 'group test' on bicycle-cards.co.uk at some point if I can get through the review backlog! Thanks for any help.
PS - if you haven't heard, Jamie is re-releasing the Loomis routine soon...
I have 2 Don Alan cups and love them. One in brushed copper by RNT2, and one original aluminum. Now that Jamie has the Loomis routine, I'll probably pick up a mini for that. The Wellington has some advantages that really seem great, though I've never handled one.
I would put Axel Hecklau's Just a Cup up there against any chop cup routine, even though it's not technically a chop cup. Having just watched him lecture and perform it live, I must say it is outstanding and might just fool the magician in you.
[quote]On Oct 20, 2012, sirbrad wrote:
If you are on a budget Penguin has a small Morrissey one as well about the size of a shot glass, I love it! http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13880 [/quote]

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I think the Morrissey mini is a great chop cup! If you have any problems with balls which are too hard or easy to dislodge, go to rings and things and buy adjustable ones!
Well since it has come up again... :-) Since I posted a while back I did end up getting the Don Allen one and have had a lot of fun using it in a strolling context. I have recently seen these from Brian Watson, and would definitely like to have a look at one since I don't think Brian has ever put out a bad product... http://brianwatsonmagic.com/Store/product/innocent-chop-cup-pocket-size-in-alloy
This is a no brainer Hidden Wren, the props are world class with customer service second to none http://www.hiddenwrenmagic.com/ best money I've spent in a long time.
They do look good! I wasn't familiar with Hidden Wren - but hope to become so soon! Thanks for the link.
[quote]On Feb 25, 2019, philipsw wrote:
They do look good! I wasn't familiar with Hidden Wren - but hope to become so soon! Thanks for the link. [/quote]

No problem I have one myself and can vouch for the high quality :)
[quote]On Feb 24, 2019, equivoque wrote:
[quote]On Oct 20, 2012, sirbrad wrote:
If you are on a budget Penguin has a small Morrissey one as well about the size of a shot glass, I love it! http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/S13880 [/quote]

Sorry to dig up an old post, but I think the Morrissey mini is a great chop cup! If you have any problems with balls which are too hard or easy to dislodge, go to rings and things and buy adjustable ones! [/quote]
Update: I purchased a Don Alan mini. The alter ego looks more like a shot glass, but it has no dimple. Rings N Things makes nice products. I think you get into an area of diminishing returns if you spend more than $80 on chop cup.
[quote]On Mar 17, 2019, equivoque wrote:
Update: I purchased a Don Alan mini. The alter ego looks more like a shot glass, but it has no dimple. Rings N Things makes nice products. I think you get into an area of diminishing returns if you spend more than $80 on chop cup. [/quote]

If you actually use the cup at paid performances regardless of the price the cup more than pays for itself however if your not a worker then obviously keeping costs down is important.
This is a great cup made by Michael Kaminskas. Got it at Magic Live and have been using it every night since for the past 6 months. I love it. https://www.mkcups.com/copy-of-carolina-jester-1
I seem to recall reading in some magic book a way to make your own chop cup out of a normal coffee mug. If I had a chop cup routine, I would probably do that.
Don Alan Mini is amazing. the size is excellent. I love the balls RNT2 provides too.
Thanks for the MK cups link - another brand that I wasn't familiar with. I've bitten the bullet and acquired a (second hand) Hidden Wren cup. Looking forward to trying it out. Whether or not it replaces the RNT one for walk around will probably be mainly to do with size. But can't wait to see it!
I use my Hidden Wren cup for table hopping with no problem but I had it made to a specific size that allows for a reasonable final load sequence whilst not being to bulky for the pocket but either way I'm sure you'll love the cup :)
The Don Allen mini is quite good. I will also note although the copper looks the richest, in your pocket the light aluminum makes a big difference.
Thanks final load mini load I will sometimes use (sometimes a pseudo load dropped from my hand) is a mini Rubiks. These can bought in bunches of amazon and left as souvenirs.