(Close Window)
Topic: Diary of a Madman by Daniel GreenWolf- New Effect
I made a video for a new effect I've created for sale to the theatrical magic community. I call it "Diary of a Madman".

(I am indeed an Ozzy fan, although no bats were harmed in the making of this piece).

I'm bringing it to the Inner Circle of Bizarre Magick's "Gathering of the Magi" in Mid-November. I have no intention on cranking out a lot of these as they are very time intensive but I wanted to gauge the interest in the effect.

The youtube vid is unlisted so only those with the link will be able to see it. I wanted to keep it to magicians primarily so I figured this would be the best way. It's a video of the effect in performance and then a close-up of the prop itself. Feel free to share it with other Magi you think would be interested. If folks have any questions, feel free to ask me.

http://youtu.be/3-aHxPUkW8k

Oh, and BTW- The Gathering's website is http://www.ICBMMagick.com

Thanks everyone.
So great! The premise and the prop look fantastic, Daniel.
http://www.WACK-O-MAGIC.COM

The Necromancer's grymore... Similar,but different.
Godzilla, Walt was kind enough to point this piece out to me this afternoon.

I like the Grymoire and, even though I don't own one myself, it looks like the big difference between my piece and Wack-o's is that with theirs, they figured out a much easier way to create the books by preprinting the aged look and blood on the pages. Also, notably, I don't think the Grymoire has "Kill Me" and "God Let Me Die" written on it over and over again in blood for the finale showing. this is not a merit one way or another, as it's more a matter of people's tastes.

I hand design and age every page on the blood, and splatter every drop of blood myself. It takes a LOT longer but I think it gives the book a much more realistic and, dare I say, Grittier look. Unfortunately, the other downside of mine is that because of all of the time and materials, I have to charge more. Wack-o's charges $93 and I'm charging $100 for the preorder price and then $125 after that.

I got my inspiration for creating the diary from Dan Harlan's Pack Small, Play Big DVD series from his Bizarre Show DVD .I liked the effect, just not the look of his prop... So I made my own. I showed it to a couple of fellow magi and they suggested I make some up for the New England Gathering of the Magi in November.

Wack-o Magic makes amazing products and as I'm only planning on making very few of these, I doubt my version will be any threat to them, which would never be my intention. It just seems to be a choice of performing style. So my effect is for the slightly more sadistic mage. Lol I hope WACK-O and Walt agree.
I got one of my own versions too - the concept of using the colouring book for other things is not new - mine is a Necronomicon like book that turns from black ink to blood ink to running blood ink... with a squeeze feature to let the blood appear to drip out of the pages when you squeeze it.

The more the merrier. Sounds like Daniel's and mine would not fly at kid parties (well, depends who the kids are I suppose - like maybe at Midwich and Dunwich it would be ok)
Good luck with it,Daniel!
That is why I made a point of not saying the same, in my post! :)
You did indeed Godzilla, thank you for the support!
Looks outstanding, Daniel. I'm very much looking forward to seeing these at the ICBM!
Nice to see you performing this Daniel.

Would enjoy seeingyou do your Straw Man effect.

Do you still make them for sale?

Kotah
@Kotah -I absolutely do and will be making them for the Gathering (which means if folks not going to the Gathering of the Magi want them, I'll have them for sale)
Point us to the Straw Man effect, pleeeeezeeee...
@Guyactor The Straw Man effect we're mentioning is my effect, "The Wicker Man." I don't have any site or a video devoted to it. I do have a news interview I did about 100 pounds ago where I very quickly perform the effect. You can see that here: http://youtu.be/wLiuCT9rDS4?t=1m18s

I still make and sell them, they're $25 plus shipping and, like the "Diary of a Madman", I hand make each one.
I can highly recommend Greenwolf's "The Wicker Man."
It's the biggest, baddest, bizarrest wicker man around. Size does matter and it's suitable for stage work as well.
Does it come in a Wicker Monkey?

Looking forward to seeing y'all at ICBM!
I have a Black "darker toned" wicker man as I didn't want the happy druidic one ;)
Daniel was nice enough to even wrap the arms and legs in crimson thread
I've been PM'ing Daniel about his Diary, and he's been awesome to deal with. I'm just biding my time to save enough cash to push the button on this.

Now here comes gothicmagic and his darker toned Wicker Man. Now, I want this too.

Daniel, is this gothicmagic-themed Wicker Man an option (i.e. darker toned with crimson thread)? If not, cool, I was just wondering...
Message: Posted by: SpellbinderEntertainment (Oct 24, 2012 07:48PM)
Ah! Vlad....
that's the same style Daniel can create for the presentation in my book...
not for the faint of heart though.
I think Wack-O is more than fine with your limited edition tomes.
Magically, Bro. Walt
Love the handcrafted creepy look of this book. The chaotic writing is believably the creation of a madman. My order has been placed and I look forward to its arrival in a few weeks. Got a few ideas brewing on the story to use it with. He he.
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 20:47, Wizard of Oz wrote:
I've been PM'ing Daniel about his Diary, and he's been awesome to deal with. I'm just biding my time to save enough cash to push the button on this.

Now here comes gothicmagic and his darker toned Wicker Man. Now, I want this too.

Daniel, is this gothicmagic-themed Wicker Man an option (i.e. darker toned with crimson thread)? If not, cool, I was just wondering...
[/quote]

Wizard, It is indeed an option. It involves a little bit more as I have to dye the straw, but it is indeed available.
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 20:48, SpellbinderEntertainment wrote:
Ah! Vlad....
that's the same style Daniel can create for the presentation in my book...
not for the faint of heart though.
I think Wack-O is more than fine with your limited edition tomes.
Magically, Bro. Walt
[/quote]

I'm both happy and relieved to hear that, Walt! I love WACK-O's stuff and obviously my respect for you has no limit. Thank you for the well wishes!
So we should start calling the black one the Anthony/Vlad edition , :)
It's done. Now if people want the blackened Wicker Man, it's the Vlad/Anthony Edition (It rolls better off the tongue)!
Just in time for the holidays!
Just so folks know, only ten more days to pre-order the Diary for the price of $100 plus shipping.

After the 15th, the price goes back up to the normal $125 + Shipping and stays there.

I'm not making many for pre-order (as I want to make sure I can ship them out on the 15th as promised) so I don't have many slots left. But if you're interested, message me and I'll give you the paypal info.
I picked this up at ICBM. A real work of art! In my humble opinion, it was the pick of the show. I highly recomend this effect.
I ordered mine a couple of days ago, along with an Anthony/Vlad edition of the Wicker Man. Merry Christmas to me!
I once heard that the definition of Customer Satisfaction is not only having your expectations met, but having them surpassed. I ordered The Diary of a Madman, as well as an aged Wickerman, and Daniel has not only met my expectations with these items, but successfully beaten them to a pulp. I am very impressed.

Daniel has put care into every detail of both props, from the routines, to the packaging, to the detailed and well-crafted instructions. Here is a man who takes pride in what he does.

I'll start with Wicker Man. This thing creeped me out when I opened it, but creeped me out even more when I began using it in front of a mirror. This is wicked cool, and although it works on the same principal as the Okito Voodoo doll, it's more than twice the height. Seeing such a large object rise up looks impossible. It is light in weight, but works perfectly.

And the Diary...this is far more wicked in person than Daniel's video portrays...but I had a feeling it would be, which is why I was so excited about this. It looks and feels real. And the blood, and words...so desperate...so maddening. This is the stuff nightmares are made of.

This has been an awesome Christmas gift...although I totally cheated and opened and played with it. Daniel was very professional, and a total gentleman to deal with. I highly recommend both of these effects. Go ahead...make your day.