(Close Window)
Topic: Matt Mello - The White Umbrella
Hey guys!

I’ve been going back and forth about releasing this for a while, and after only sharing it sparingly with a few other mentalists, am happy to finally announce my newest manuscript, The White Umbrella. I should state that this is a stage/stand-up routine, and won’t be suitable for close-up environments. It has a similar feel to a chair test, but with a very interesting take on it—and fewer props! Here’s what the effect looks like…

The performer stands center stage, repeatedly opening and closing a white umbrella, directing the audience to watch and close their eyes as he closes it one last time. They’re all asked to choose and imagine they’re wearing brightly colored raincoats of red, orange, or yellow.

8-10 audience members are brought onto the stage as test subjects, but after a quick preliminary test with the umbrella, only four are used. One of them stands to the side with the performer—a woman—and mixes the other three people into an order of her own choosing. When she’s happy with the mixture, an envelope which has been on full display is opened. Inside is a prediction with a drawing showing three people standing under a rain cloud, their raincoat colors and order perfectly matching! This prediction is shown BEFORE the spectators name their colors aloud!

After the three spectators are sent back to their seats, the woman who mixed them is used in a further experiment of mind-reading and hypnosis. She is asked to imagine it raining colored water onto the white umbrella, dying and staining it any color she imagines. Not only does she see this, but she’s ‘hypnotized’ to actually HEAR it raining on the umbrella! You then go on to predict the color umbrella she saw, as well as finally guessing what color raincoat she was wearing!

It’s a long routine, but I’ve also included a simplified version which keeps things very easy to follow, while still producing a very unique effect!

This PDF comes in at 21 pages, and will be priced at $20. If interested, this can be sent directly to me through paypal using my email, mtricks16@aol.com

Thank you!

Matt Mello
Everything I have ever read from Matt has been a real worker and something that sits well with my style. I bet this is going to be great for me too!

Good luck with this Matt.

Best
Myke
I have and use a few Matt Mello releases. I REALLY like his work and this sounds wonderful. I'm not a stage performer otherwise I'd grab it, but can't wait to hear the reviews.
Message: Posted by: GordonTheHypnotist (Oct 24, 2012 06:00AM)
Matt's stuff is always great and workable. Going to pick this one up as well.
This sounds great. It would work for a parlour environment?
Message: Posted by: GordonTheHypnotist (Oct 25, 2012 08:59AM)
Maddy - That depends on how many people are in the parlor because you need 8 people on stage for one part of it. This will work best from within a stage environment.

If you are familiar with my reviews on this big green page you probably know that I am fond of the way Matt thinks. His plots usually use a mixture of psychology, hypnosis real or pseudo, trickery and sometimes big balls to pull off. The White Umbrella is no exception and I can say it may be close to Pulse Rate as his best routine yet. Usually Matt comes up with clever methods to do some outstanding tricks. The White Umbrella is more of clever presentation rather than a clever method. The methods here are devious but they are understated for the sum of whole routine. What you have here is a chair test requiring no chairs. Each step flows right into the next and they all seem calculated to achieve a presentation full of wonder and power of the imagination. If you like the works of Kenton Knepper or Enrique Enriquez then you will love this gem of a routine. I recommend it highly.
I think I'm going to have to buy this. It sounds great.
Hey guys,

Everything is all set! If interested in The White Umbrella, you can now send $15 to mtricks16@aol.com through paypal, and I'll get them out as soon as I can! I decided to lower the price of this one because of the issue with paypal.

Thanks for all your patience!

Matt
Looks cool!
I can't even BEGIN to describe how much I love this. This is genius. Every phase is so well thought out. This would fool EVERYONE watching including magicians. There are no funny moves, nothing unjustified and everything is so clean.

I'm not joking when I say this is going STRAIGHT into my act. Not only is it baffling, it's also extremely fun. Both to perform and to watch. The whole audience takes part in the trick which makes it seem huge. I only perform in parlour situations and although this works best for stage, it could easily be adapted to parlour. I love this one Matt.

Great work. Everyone should have this. Or maybe no one should so I would be the only one performing it B)
I wanted to say this on my previous post but didn't have the time.

Some really awesome things:

1. There is only one envelope that is in full view, in play.
2. There are no switches at any time.
3. There is only one piece of paper inside the envelope and the envelope can be thoroughly examined afterward.
4. There is no preshow/stooging.
5. They NEVER name their color until that last moment when you already have the paper above their head.
6. The volunteer actually HEARS rain and to all the world, they see your umbrella change into the color they simply THOUGHT of.
7. You are able to predict the color she shes the umbrella as (no matter how crazy, such as: periwinkle)
8. There is never a force of any kind used throughout the whole routine. All volunteers have 100% free choices.
9. You will be correct on every aspect of the routine 100% of the time
10. This has it all. Magic, Mind Reading, and Hypnosis.

Hopefully that can convince a few of you to take the plunge. This is one of the best routines I have come across in a long, long time.
Thanks for the review and added points, Maddy! Appreciate it!

Matt
Is there a lot of prop construction involved?
To add to the post above am I going to need to buy much else to perform this?
There is nothing to construct. You have to draw the reveal picture and that's all.

All you need to perform the routine exactly as described:
A white umbrella
A pad to wrote on
A marker to write with
An envelope
A piece of paper with the reveal picture drawn
And the "special something" to make them hear the rain ($1.00 for 100 performances) but it is nothing to construct.

And that's all.
I'm more mystified than ever...
It is truely genius.
I had the chance to read the manuscripts (white umbrella, sign and pulse rate) and there are nice and fresh ideas in it! I like his way of thinking and I am sure these routines will have the deserved success!
BRAVO MATT!
Thank you, Luca! I'm glad to hear you enjoyed them all!

Matt
The more I think about this well thought out routine, the more I like it!

The actions are completlely motivated and leave no room for explanation at all, nothing is written down, nothing is forced and still your prediction is correct. The hypnosis part is just great as the "dirty work" has been done in the previous effect.

I wish more creators would put that amount of effort into the structure of their routines as Matt did with The White Umbrella.

Best of all: If you carry around a small version of the prediction envelope, you can so this almost impromptu. The act involves lots of spectator and will definitely be something people will be talking about later on.

Well done, Matt!
Hey guys,

Sorry again for the delay! The White Umbrella is now available on Penguin here...

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/3023

Matt
[quote]
On 2012-10-28 23:18, MagicMaddy wrote:

6. The volunteer actually HEARS rain and to all the world, they see your umbrella change into the color they simply THOUGHT of.

[/quote]

just to be clear... the white umbrella changes color??? that sounds really cool.. just might have to hit the buy button..

Junior :)
[quote]
On 2013-06-03 22:50, close_up_act wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-28 23:18, MagicMaddy wrote:

[/quote]

just to be clear... the white umbrella changes color??? that sounds really cool.. just might have to hit the buy button..

Junior :)
[/quote]

The umbrella appears to change color to the participant onstage but not to the audience :D It's brilliant. I'm still waiting for the perfect venue for me to use this at because I am completely in love with it.
There we go. So now we need a perfect venue for this ! Or do you mean it just needs a standard stage which you have been waiting for ?
Also can you guys describe what the elimination process is all about. Why would I call 8 spectators on stage and use only 4 of them ?
Does the element of 'hearing the rain' and seeing the umbrella color change work everytime and with any spectator picked or are there chances this would goof because the chosen subject wasnt suited ?
[quote]
On 2014-01-07 01:04, plainman007 wrote:
There we go. So now we need a perfect venue for this ! Or do you mean it just needs a standard stage which you have been waiting for ?
Also can you guys describe what the elimination process is all about. Why would I call 8 spectators on stage and use only 4 of them ?
Does the element of 'hearing the rain' and seeing the umbrella color change work everytime and with any spectator picked or are there chances this would goof because the chosen subject wasnt suited ?
[/quote]

I really meant a show for adults since I perform for kids regularly. I have performed it since then. It's great.

The elimination process is jut a "witch doctor" you could just call the 4 people up if you wanted, but it jut makes the routine more entertaining to go through this process of them opening and closing the umbrella to determine who to use.

And the rain works 100% of the time. They actually hear it. It isn't a suggestion. And the color changing umbrella will work 100% of the time because it's not based around suggestion, rather clever wording.