(Close Window)
Topic: New rubik cube magic trick - RUBIK'S NIGHTMARE by Michael Lam
Message: Posted by: gitty (Oct 23, 2012 02:42PM)
Watch the video to believe it:
http://www.murphysmagic.com/Product.aspx?id=49991

I have three or four rubik cube magic tricks but that one looks amazing!
Message: Posted by: Jamie Ferguson (Oct 23, 2012 02:47PM)
Garrett Thomas will be looking on with envy!
Message: Posted by: pegasus (Oct 23, 2012 02:51PM)
The first phase is very simple to do. You just need 2 small normal cubes and one large normal one. The last phase, which I believe should not be executed, because it screams trick cube IMO.
Message: Posted by: takeachance (Oct 23, 2012 03:12PM)
I've been doing this for a few years now. It was one of Luke Jermays published routines without the kicker ending. However it looks like he has made a gimmick cube. Jermays version doesn't require a gimmick cube
Message: Posted by: David Klass (Oct 23, 2012 04:53PM)
. I think I've seen Keith Barry do something very similar.
Message: Posted by: takeachance (Oct 23, 2012 06:04PM)
Yes, there are better routines than this already available however I am interested in what he has come up with regarding the mechanics of the cube. Other than that it looks inferior to what's already out there.
Message: Posted by: AaronishMagic (Oct 23, 2012 07:53PM)
I saw their news letter. This routine uses a NORMAL rubik's cube. The instant restore uses NO GIMMICK! Very excited about this one!
Message: Posted by: MagicMaddy (Oct 23, 2012 08:16PM)
Its really obvious how the instant restore works if you know about rubiks cubes. I think that part is extremely clever for sure.
Message: Posted by: ReviewerMaster (Oct 23, 2012 08:33PM)
Agree and disagree. I think the change is very clever. But beside that, the point is how to get there.

Just my two cents.
Message: Posted by: MagicMaddy (Oct 23, 2012 09:09PM)
I agree, but knowing these types of video where it is cut multiple times, its probably just a simple sw****.

Anyone know what Luke Jermay book this is in? I own practically all of them but have never come across this. Or maybe I purposefully skipped it when I saw someonthing about a rubiks cube XP
Message: Posted by: John C (Oct 23, 2012 10:34PM)
How difficult is this? Slight of hand?
Message: Posted by: Decomposed (Oct 23, 2012 11:14PM)
I used a gimmicked one for years, forget the name. Hope its not a s***** with Lukes'.

I remember the Keith Barry special. Great to be behind a bar for that one. :kewl:

The AD at the top says Gimmick and DVD. Below the AD says "gimmickless." :fruity:
Message: Posted by: Zombie Magic (Oct 24, 2012 12:00AM)
[quote]
On 2012-10-23 15:51, pegasus wrote:
The first phase is very simple to do. You just need 2 small normal cubes and one large normal one. The last phase, which I believe should not be executed, because it screams trick cube IMO.
[/quote]

I agree about the last phase. That turned it into a magic trick, which dilutes the miracle that proceeded it.
Message: Posted by: Ustaad (Oct 24, 2012 12:00AM)
[quote]
On 2012-10-23 22:09, MagicMaddy wrote:

Anyone know what Luke Jermay book this is in? I own practically all of them but have never come across this. Or maybe I purposefully skipped it when I saw someonthing about a rubiks cube XP
[/quote]

http://www.lybrary.com/rubix-square-p-11606.html?osCsid=a1d2790e0eec89ea79425cd574d7b5dc

:xmas:
Message: Posted by: Zombie Magic (Oct 24, 2012 12:02AM)
OOPS, meant "preceded". lol
Message: Posted by: takeachance (Oct 24, 2012 07:01AM)
Sorry, but unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible) this is just an inferior rehash of a much superior and entertaining routine already published. I really see it as a step backwards to what is available if this style of routine interest you. Ustaad once again has helped out with the link, although I've always appreciated that this has gone under the radar. Its anything but new, more like a minute variation on other routines.
Message: Posted by: MR Effecto (Oct 24, 2012 07:26AM)
When the rubik cube changed all one color on the sides, before it happen the Video cut away. I whould think he switched it out for ther gimmick one. I will stay away from this myself. The one I have allready hits hard.
Message: Posted by: John C (Oct 24, 2012 08:18AM)
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 01:00, Ustaad wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-23 22:09, MagicMaddy wrote:

Anyone know what Luke Jermay book this is in? I own practically all of them but have never come across this. Or maybe I purposefully skipped it when I saw someonthing about a rubiks cube XP
[/quote]

http://www.lybrary.com/rubix-square-p-11606.html?osCsid=a1d2790e0eec89ea79425cd574d7b5dc

:xmas:
[/quote]

Do you have this Ustaad? Slight of hand? Switching cubes?

Easy? Medium? Beyond my ability?
Message: Posted by: magicjy (Oct 24, 2012 08:38AM)
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 09:18, John C wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 01:00, Ustaad wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-23 22:09, MagicMaddy wrote:

Anyone know what Luke Jermay book this is in? I own practically all of them but have never come across this. Or maybe I purposefully skipped it when I saw someonthing about a rubiks cube XP
[/quote]

Interesting Rubik's Cube twist by Lam. I'm know as the Rubik's Cube magician because of my Rubik's Cube Manipulation Act. However, I do perform a few stand-up talking cube effects. I enjoyed watching the video but it lacks the full routine because of edit breaks and switches :)



http://www.lybrary.com/rubix-square-p-11606.html?osCsid=a1d2790e0eec89ea79425cd574d7b5dc

:xmas:
[/quote]

Do you have this Ustaad? Slight of hand? Switching cubes?

Easy? Medium? Beyond my ability?
[/quote]
Message: Posted by: Paul Rathbun (Oct 24, 2012 09:14AM)
Also interested in how difficult this is and if there is memory work involved.
Message: Posted by: ReviewerMaster (Oct 24, 2012 03:53PM)
This all of a sudden hits my head! I remember seeing this post from Akira Fujii of this guy's raw demo here some time ago. If I remember it right, the rubik's cube was mixed right before he tossed for the visual restore. I remember it being very clean. If this is that one, that's very exciting!

But again, I am not 100% certain. With all respect, I am very bad with Asian faces..
Message: Posted by: jugglestruck (Oct 24, 2012 04:31PM)
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 10:14, Paul Rathbun wrote:
Also interested in how difficult this is and if there is memory work involved.
[/quote]

I would imagine, though am not certain, that there is a small amount of memory work invloved.
Message: Posted by: John C (Oct 24, 2012 04:58PM)
As far as the current rubix trick being reviewed :

Rubik's Nightmare is a two-phase professional routine directly from Michael's TV repertoire. Gimmickless. Angle proof. NO you do NOT need to know how to solve a Rubik's cube to learn this. Michael has done his work to sand it down and simplify the process. With multi-angle step by step instruction, you'll be performing Rubik's Nightmare in no time.

don't know about jermays
Message: Posted by: takeachance (Oct 24, 2012 05:50PM)
Jermays is the same as this demo shows, no gimmick or memory work but with a kicker ending using a magic square which requires the minimum of memory but very simply as the number is basically forced by the performer with a very logical reason. I guess the difference between the 2 is this one the ending is throwing the cube in the air and solving it.
Message: Posted by: Caleb Wiles (Oct 24, 2012 08:01PM)
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 09:38, magicjy wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 09:18, John C wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 01:00, Ustaad wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-23 22:09, MagicMaddy wrote:

Anyone know what Luke Jermay book this is in? I own practically all of them but have never come across this. Or maybe I purposefully skipped it when I saw someonthing about a rubiks cube XP
[/quote]

Interesting Rubik's Cube twist by Lam. I'm know as the Rubik's Cube magician because of my Rubik's Cube Manipulation Act. However, I do perform a few stand-up talking cube effects. I enjoyed watching the video but it lacks the full routine because of edit breaks and switches :)



http://www.lybrary.com/rubix-square-p-11606.html?osCsid=a1d2790e0eec89ea79425cd574d7b5dc

:xmas:
[/quote]

Do you have this Ustaad? Slight of hand? Switching cubes?

Easy? Medium? Beyond my ability?
[/quote]
[/quote]

Here's my review of Luke Jermay's effect if anyone is interested: http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=2523

Caleb
Message: Posted by: MBrook3902 (Oct 24, 2012 08:11PM)
Thanks. You just saved me $45
Message: Posted by: takeachance (Oct 24, 2012 08:24PM)
Different strokes for different folks I guess Caleb, as Jermays version with a couple of my own touches has gone over well for the corporate crowd I've performed it for. I too luv the premise of the cube in presentations.
But anyway that's not the issue were I'm coming from. Do you see a different approach with this new version. As I stated above, "I could be missing something" if someone can see the difference between this and Jermays apart from the toss and solve at the end I'd really like to know. If its an improvement I'd like to buy it.
What's your thoughts on differences Caleb?
Message: Posted by: Caleb Wiles (Oct 24, 2012 09:09PM)
I'm not sure who was the first to come up with the idea to have two cubes match, but I don't think it was Luke Jermay. Most versions I've seen come down to the handling of the one key moment that seems common to all versions I've come across. Luke's presentation does add something new with his presentation with the magic square, but I find the mistakes in the write up inexcusable. Like I mentioned in the review, I'm sure someone could finesse it into a great performance piece, but I just don't think it's a viable magic product to be selling to people at this point.

I also love cube effects so this will be on my "to buy" list no matter what I'm afraid. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if all previous versions are made pretty much obsolete once Greg Wilson releases his work on this plot. I REALLY can't wait for that.

All this talk of Rubik's Cube effects has got me thinking about which ones I may have missed over the years. Here's the ones I've investigated. Are there any other published effects that I'm missing?

Daryl's Enchanted Cube
Instacube
Mark Elsdon's The Last Word
Mark Elsdon's Rubik's Predicted
Mark Elsdon's Rubik's Remembered
Luke Jermay's Rubix Square
Ed Alonzo's Oral Fixational
Gustavo Raley's Magic Cube

Caleb
Message: Posted by: Steven Leung (Oct 24, 2012 09:33PM)
Dear All,

For those who are query about this effect, I sincerely hope that you will consider to get Michael Lam's Rubiks' Nightmare DVD as I am glad to get this before the world major release of this wonderful effect.

I like the effect because:
- Rubiks cube are common item, even more common than a deck of cards sometimes.
- It use only one non gimmick Rubik's cube for instant restoration, no alternation whatsoever require.
- It is easy to do.
- Visual effect
- Commercial

Michael Lam teaches the walk through step by step, with different camera angle including over the shoulder angle and slow motion to ENSURE that customer will learn how to do this effect with practice.

For your serious consideration before it sold out.

Sincerely,
Message: Posted by: takeachance (Oct 24, 2012 10:42PM)
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 22:09, Caleb Wiles wrote:

Daryl's Enchanted Cube
Instacube
Mark Elsdon's The Last Word
Mark Elsdon's Rubik's Predicted
Mark Elsdon's Rubik's Remembered
Luke Jermay's Rubix Square
Ed Alonzo's Oral Fixational
Gustavo Raley's Magic Cube

Ha, LOL, I have the same. Oral fixation is another favorite of mine at the right time and place. I must say your taste is impeccable and you like the plot as much as I do, no doubting that. For the small price and because I'm a cube junkie I'll be picking this up. If there is only one slight improvement, I'll be happy. But at the moment after watching the demo it just seems so, so close. The square and the reason for it as the ending I think is well worth the price of Jermays manuscript. Thanks for the heads up on Wilson Caleb, I'll keep a watch for it.
Message: Posted by: Sir Pharaul (Oct 25, 2012 08:07AM)
I saw Greg Wilson's a year or so ago. I figured it would be released by now. It's really good.
Message: Posted by: gitty (Oct 25, 2012 04:45PM)
I bought ONE SECOND CUBE in Japan a few months ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMLLMFLvmGU
Message: Posted by: writeall (Oct 26, 2012 02:41AM)
[quote]
On 2012-10-25 17:45, gitty wrote:
I bought ONE SECOND CUBE in Japan a few months ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMLLMFLvmGU
[/quote]

What do you think of it?
Message: Posted by: Turpoint (Oct 30, 2012 01:20PM)
At 2:10 you can see the whole trick http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCSKsckEd4g
Message: Posted by: RickVancouver (Oct 31, 2012 02:14PM)
Thanks for the link Turpoint, as this video is more "revealing"... if ya know what I mean.
Message: Posted by: Caliban (Nov 12, 2012 06:04AM)
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 22:09, Caleb Wiles wrote:
I'm not sure who was the first to come up with the idea to have two cubes match, but I don't think it was Luke Jermay.
[/quote]

The plot was proposed as a challenge in Abracadabra magazine about 30 years ago, with a prize for whoever submitted the best solution. So the first person to publish the premise of a magician and spectator both mixing Rubik's Cubes and having both the cubes match may well have been Donald Bevan, the editor of Abra. Like with this current version, the methods published in Abra at the time relied on at least one of the cubes being miniature size.
Message: Posted by: Caleb Wiles (Nov 12, 2012 07:14AM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-12 07:04, Caliban wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 22:09, Caleb Wiles wrote:
I'm not sure who was the first to come up with the idea to have two cubes match, but I don't think it was Luke Jermay.
[/quote]

The plot was proposed as a challenge in Abracadabra magazine about 30 years ago, with a prize for whoever submitted the best solution. So the first person to publish the premise of a magician and spectator both mixing Rubik's Cubes and having both the cubes match may well have been Donald Bevan, the editor of Abra. Like with this current version, the methods published in Abra at the time relied on at least one of the cubes being miniature size.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I always find it interesting to investigate the history of effects.

Caleb
Message: Posted by: prestigemagic (Nov 12, 2012 11:16AM)
I'm confused guys...the promo and type for this effect states it is Gimmickless yet all the pre-sales say Gimmick and DVD...which is it?, can anyone confirm?
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Nov 12, 2012 11:28AM)
Always a catch.
Message: Posted by: Steven Conner (Nov 12, 2012 11:50AM)
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 21:01, Caleb Wiles wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 09:38, magicjy wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 09:18, John C wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-24 01:00, Ustaad wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-10-23 22:09, MagicMaddy wrote:

Anyone know what Luke Jermay book this is in? I own practically all of them but have never come across this. Or maybe I purposefully skipped it when I saw someonthing about a rubiks cube XP
[/quote]

Interesting Rubik's Cube twist by Lam. I'm know as the Rubik's Cube magician because of my Rubik's Cube Manipulation Act. However, I do perform a few stand-up talking cube effects. I enjoyed watching the video but it lacks the full routine because of edit breaks and switches :)



http://www.lybrary.com/rubix-square-p-11606.html?osCsid=a1d2790e0eec89ea79425cd574d7b5dc

:xmas:
[/quote]

Do you have this Ustaad? Slight of hand? Switching cubes?

Easy? Medium? Beyond my ability?
[/quote]
[/quote]

Here's my review of Luke Jermay's effect if anyone is interested: http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=2523

Caleb
[/quote]

So, what's the verdict, Luke's is not that good.
Message: Posted by: Henryharrius (Nov 18, 2012 12:00AM)
Hi prestigemagic,

This is Henry, one of the creator of Rubik's Nightmare. Yes, the rubik's cube restoration is completely gimmickless, which means you can do it with ANY cube. The so-called "gimmick" provided is actually an ordinary object, but it helps for the full routine. You can perform the restoration as a stand alone effect, or do the whole routine we provided. Hope it helps!

Henry
Message: Posted by: Caleb Wiles (Nov 18, 2012 02:11PM)
Henry, has this been release yet or is it still in pre-order? If it hasn't been released, any idea on the date?

Caleb
Message: Posted by: anton.magician (Nov 20, 2012 09:37AM)
I think this trick not for beginner. You need to made some moves that is not good when you perform it around the spectators.
Message: Posted by: TM (Nov 20, 2012 03:54PM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-18 15:11, Caleb Wiles wrote:
Henry, has this been release yet or is it still in pre-order? If it hasn't been released, any idea on the date?

Caleb
[/quote]

It has been released, It seems to be available at Vanishing, and other online stores.
Message: Posted by: Henryharrius (Nov 21, 2012 08:05AM)
Thanks for your interest Caleb! It is released already!
Message: Posted by: swayne100 (Nov 21, 2012 01:08PM)
What's the verdict on this? Has anyone bought it yet and tried it out?
Message: Posted by: Steven Leung (Nov 22, 2012 08:39PM)
It is now available to most good dealers worldwide.
Message: Posted by: David Klass (Nov 24, 2012 08:23AM)
Everyone please be aware that there are NO cubes supplied. The so called gimmick isn't a gimmick. It is something you could pick up for next to nothing at any store.

If this was half the price and clearly stated that you would then have to buy all the cubes then fair enough.
Message: Posted by: keeblem (Nov 24, 2012 12:50PM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 09:23, David Klass wrote:
Everyone please be aware that there are NO cubes supplied. The so called gimmick isn't a gimmick. It is something you could pick up for next to nothing at any store.

If this was half the price and clearly stated that you would then have to buy all the cubes then fair enough.
[/quote]

Yes, I was somewhat suprised (and disappointed) that no cube was supplied. It should be stated clearly (unless I'm being stupid and just didn't see it) that the cubes need to be supplied. However after watching the DVD I'm rather keen to try this out.

I'm not sure where to get the mini cubes from. Are these the mini key chain ones sold on amazon?

Mark
Message: Posted by: rowland (Nov 24, 2012 02:24PM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 13:50, keeblem wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 09:23, David Klass wrote:
Everyone please be aware that there are NO cubes supplied. The so called gimmick isn't a gimmick. It is something you could pick up for next to nothing at any store.

If this was half the price and clearly stated that you would then have to buy all the cubes then fair enough.
[/quote]

Yes, I was somewhat suprised (and disappointed) that no cube was supplied. It should be stated clearly (unless I'm being stupid and just didn't see it) that the cubes need to be supplied. However after watching the DVD I'm rather keen to try this out.

I'm not sure where to get the mini cubes from. Are these the mini key chain ones sold on amazon?

Mark
[/quote]

Mini cubes are available from Tescos they are on a key ring which is easily removable £1 each.
I was also surprised, it's prob a bit over priced but is a good routine and the instant restore with an ungimicked cube is so easy to do and looks great especially when it can be immediately handed out.
Message: Posted by: cheeky (Nov 24, 2012 02:59PM)
Don't tell me that this will require , dismantling the cube completely and modifying it.
Message: Posted by: Decomposed (Nov 24, 2012 07:37PM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 15:59, cheeky wrote:
Don't tell me that this will require , dismantling the cube completely and modifying it.
[/quote]

I went through that many times with another product. Hope not.
What is the difficulty level?
Message: Posted by: MagicMaddy (Nov 24, 2012 08:53PM)
[quote]
On 2012-10-25 17:45, gitty wrote:
I bought ONE SECOND CUBE in Japan a few months ago.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMLLMFLvmGU
[/quote]

Just now seeing this. That looks fantastic.
Message: Posted by: Cody S. Fisher (Nov 24, 2012 09:36PM)
No need to dismantle the cube...

Cody S. Fisher
Message: Posted by: rowland (Nov 25, 2012 02:43AM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 20:37, Decomposed wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-11-24 15:59, cheeky wrote:
Don't tell me that this will require , dismantling the cube completely and modifying it.
[/quote]

I went through that many times with another product. Hope not.
What is the difficulty level?
[/quote]

This is not difficult to do there is a small amount of memory work, but nothing difficult, you could easily learn it in an evening. Not to perform it but just the necessary moves. I think this will get some great reactions when performed. I may buy one of the speed cubes just to make the turns easier.
Message: Posted by: Nash (Nov 25, 2012 12:01PM)
Welcome to the Café where the first page of reviews are for people bashing the product before actually buying it.
Thank god for the 2nd page where the creator and the owners of the products speak up.

If you wonder, I saw Henry performed this LIVE when I traveled to Hong Kong a month ago. It is a worker.
I don't know much about the other versions, but if you want to discuss this effect and this effect alone, IMO, it is:
1.) Practical
2.) Simple and direct
3.) Great for parlor shows
4.) Obviously, it packs small, a fantastic news for traveling pro

I recommend it!
Message: Posted by: Silver Glove Magic (Nov 25, 2012 12:11PM)
Can anybody recommend a good place to find mini cubes?
Message: Posted by: rowland (Nov 25, 2012 12:18PM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 13:11, Silver Glove Magic wrote:
Can anybody recommend a good place to find mini cubes?
[/quote]

Would be handy to know where you live :)
Message: Posted by: David Klass (Nov 25, 2012 12:22PM)
I bought this for purely the matching routine.
I'm not fussed about the restoration.

If you are like me and you buy this hoping for something clever, think again.

Imagine the simplest method possible and you will be on the right track.

To add insult to injury it doesn't come with the cubes.
Message: Posted by: Silver Glove Magic (Nov 25, 2012 12:27PM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 13:18, rowland wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 13:11, Silver Glove Magic wrote:
Can anybody recommend a good place to find mini cubes?
[/quote]

Would be handy to know where you live :)
[/quote]

Hollywood Land California. ;)

Doesn't have to be an actual store, even an online site would help. I'm searching Google as I type this.
Message: Posted by: Olympic Adam (Nov 25, 2012 05:01PM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 13:22, David Klass wrote:
I bought this for purely the matching routine.
I'm not fussed about the restoration.

If you are like me and you buy this hoping for something clever, think again.

Imagine the simplest method possible and you will be on the right track.

To add insult to injury it doesn't come with the cubes.
[/quote]

thanks David, I was looking for the first phase only - I can think of a way to do what I need and am going to stick with it, I was thinking of getting this from someone for xmas and showed them the trailer, they asked why didn't I just [insert method here], simplest method possible, I laughed and said yes that's right, sometimes we get clouded

nice to have some fresh eyes on things - while this does look to be an excellent effect (which is what we are after) I don't think I'll be purchasing it, if it came with the cubes I definitely would though, to save hassle and work right out of the box
Message: Posted by: keeblem (Nov 25, 2012 05:07PM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 13:22, David Klass wrote:

If you are like me and you buy this hoping for something clever, think again.

Imagine the simplest method possible and you will be on the right track.

To add insult to injury it doesn't come with the cubes.
[/quote]

I understand your initial reaction - however simple is often the best way!

Mark
Message: Posted by: Magicboy! (Nov 25, 2012 06:20PM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 13:22, David Klass wrote:
I bought this for purely the matching routine.
I'm not fussed about the restoration.

If you are like me and you buy this hoping for something clever, think again.

Imagine the simplest method possible and you will be on the right track.

To add insult to injury it doesn't come with the cubes.




So what did you want then David, a really difficult move to learn?????
Message: Posted by: keeblem (Nov 26, 2012 04:01AM)
I just watched the video again and there IS a lot of cutting and editing and the final restore is not as clean as you are led to believe. However I think this is still very workable and overall I'm happy with the purchase. I initially thought this was a gimmicked cube but I guess I should be happy that this can actually be done with any cube...

Mark
Message: Posted by: Henryharrius (Nov 26, 2012 12:42PM)
Thanks everyone for the kind words. I also believe simple is the best, that's why I came up with this solution which I think works very well. I'm not aiming to create a magicians fooler, but rather a workable piece of good magic that would amaze our audience. So this is the best solution I came up with, and it is proven to be a great success when Michael Lam brought it to the Japan TV special.
Message: Posted by: Henryharrius (Nov 26, 2012 12:47PM)
For those who are interested, here is a short performance of the restoration, and my little talk about the effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVnbeF9O4NY

Cheers,
Henry
Message: Posted by: Armando Cheung (Nov 27, 2012 12:57AM)
The routine is really practical as I watched that Henry did it many times in live for lay audience
The feedback from the audience is exetremely impressived and amazed.

Don't miss this good stuff just because the name of magician is not famous enough. :)
Message: Posted by: Steven Leung (Nov 27, 2012 01:37AM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-26 13:47, Henryharrius wrote:
For those who are interested, here is a short performance of the restoration, and my little talk about the effect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVnbeF9O4NY

Cheers,
Henry
[/quote]

I am glad that Henry Harris, the co-creator of the effect do a demonstration for this nice effect. The effect said it all, now it's time for all of us to master it and amaze the audience.
Message: Posted by: jimesw (Dec 1, 2012 03:58AM)
Just for fun as it's related to Rubik's has everyone seen this cool illusion?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBNHPk-Lnkk&feature=g-logo

Has anyone tried fitting this into their topit? I injured myself so badly :(
http://www.eventprophire.com/themes/80s/giant-rubiks-cube
Message: Posted by: rowland (Dec 1, 2012 04:41AM)
Bought this when it came out in the UK, today it passed the wife test. The first phase especially blew her after timing me and then telling me that the cube wasn't solved she was gob smacked when I showed her the matching small cube. She said she had wished she had mixed the small cube up more :) The final retore also got a great response. Very happy with this, it's not self working and there is some memory work but it is definitely worth it. We all know how hard it is to impress the wife with another magic trick.
Message: Posted by: Decomposed (Dec 4, 2012 06:16PM)
On the fence, mixed reviews. :fruity:
Message: Posted by: Blindside785 (Dec 4, 2012 07:11PM)
The mixed reviews were more people that didn't have the product yet, the reviews that are out right now for people that DO have the product are pretty shining. I'll be ordering this in a few days.
Message: Posted by: Cameron Francis (Dec 5, 2012 09:32AM)
I must admit, I don't have any Rubik's Cube effects so I don't know what's already out there but this looks great. Dave and Craig gave it a very nice review on their show which piqued my interest.

I remember when I was a kid in the early 80s, I saw a magician on TV do a Rubik's Cube restoration. Even as a kid, I thought it was fairly obvious how it was done by the way he handled the cube. But this version looks great as you can show all sides.
Message: Posted by: TM (Dec 6, 2012 10:30AM)
Cant the small sized cube be just another , big cube?
Message: Posted by: rowland (Dec 6, 2012 12:41PM)
[quote]
On 2012-12-06 11:30, TM wrote:
Cant the small sized cube be just another , big cube?
[/quote]

No the trick won't work
Message: Posted by: Raymond Singson (Dec 6, 2012 03:11PM)
If the cube matching phase is accomplished the way I believe it is, then yes-- the mini-cube may be another normal-sized, standard Rubik's Cube. The cover for the necessary dirty work would obviously have to be modified, but it's certainly adaptable. I believe a couple mentalists have already published similar renditions of this in the past.

RS.
Message: Posted by: Martin Waring (Dec 7, 2012 05:40AM)
Does it help for the final restoration phase if you are using a speed cube? Or to put it the other way round - is the restoration possible with a non-speed cube? A lot of the standard cubes I've played with have been rather stiff to turn.
Message: Posted by: M Sini (Dec 7, 2012 05:55AM)
[quote]
On 2012-12-07 06:40, Martin Waring wrote:
Does it help for the final restoration phase if you are using a speed cube? Or to put it the other way round - is the restoration possible with a non-speed cube? A lot of the standard cubes I've played with have been rather stiff to turn.
[/quote]

I don't have this but I believe I remember hearing on the WPR that a speed cube may help.
Message: Posted by: Scott Penrose (Dec 29, 2012 09:42AM)
Thanks to all the contributors on this thread for taking the time to help those considering buying this effect.

I just purchased this effect after reading the above discussion and was glad that I had some information ahead of making the decision to buy. In my view this routine is great and has the potential to stun, but I would have been deeply disappointed having not known a little about it beforehand.

Many of the dealers are advertising this product with the same wording and are not making it clear that the product does not include the cubes (three of them). This will add another $30-40 perhaps to the cost if you do not have cubes already.

The buyer just gets the DVD and the black velvet drawstring bag.

The routine on the Youtube promo is filled with edits that excludes much of the dirty work. So it is not as clean as one would be led to believe but in a real life performance the lay people would not know the difference and will still be amazed and entertained.

In terms of skill level required it will vary from person to person. While the performer is not required to know how to solve a cube in order to execute the effect, it will help if you can solve it - with a couple of careless turns of the cube it will become overly mixed and unsolvable - in which case you will then be reaching for the screwdriver to dismantle and reassemble the puzzle. With the concept of the Rubiks cube being alien to some it might be a harder effect to accomplish. The amount of rehearsal time required is therefore going to vary substantially.

However, in my view if you put in the required amount of work you will have a great effect in your hands.

Going back to the potentially misleading advertising, I bought my DVD from a UK dealer over the telephone. Like many others, the wording on their website does not make reference to the fact that the cubes are missing. I mentioned this to the gentleman on the end of the phone and he just said that they had just copied and pasted the standard text on to their site and they did not have time to check if any of their product wording from their suppliers matched what they were actually selling. This kind of attitude towards the way tricks are being sold is the nature of the business these days - I would be amazed if old school dealers like Ken Brooke would have taken this attitude.:)


The DVD does not play on the the couple of PCs that I have tried but it works fine on the TV DVD player...that might just be my bad luck!

Enjoy the routine if you have it!

regards

Scott
Message: Posted by: j100taylor (Dec 29, 2012 09:57AM)
Excellent review Scott. Refreshing.
Message: Posted by: niva (Jan 21, 2013 01:27PM)
Gregory Wilson has an awesome effect he performed and explained at FISM last year. I believe he is planning to market it.
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jan 21, 2013 01:56PM)
[quote]
On 2012-12-29 10:42, Scott Penrose wrote:
Going back to the potentially misleading advertising, I bought my DVD from a UK dealer over the telephone. Like many others, the wording on their website does not make reference to the fact that the cubes are missing. I mentioned this to the gentleman on the end of the phone and he just said that they had just copied and pasted the standard text on to their site and they did not have time to check if any of their product wording from their suppliers matched what they were actually selling. This kind of attitude towards the way tricks are being sold is the nature of the business these days - I would be amazed if old school dealers like Ken Brooke would have taken this attitude.:)
[/quote]

It is not just the only UK dealers, but all the web dealers. I have gotten that same excuse for posting false photos of the props, false wording and description of the props. They all think it is fine to take your money and not provide the items you thought you were getting. No website dealer can be trusted. As they will not open a products to see if it is what the advertisement says it is.

We can only hope that enough of this "fraudulent" business practices will be regulated some day soon for Internet commerce websites. Until them "let the buyer be ware!"

Concerning the product, $45 is a lot of money for only the secret without any props except a bag. This is one of those tricks that, years ago, would have been published in a magic magazine or book and not sold because it does not contain any gimmicks.
Message: Posted by: WesRay (Feb 1, 2013 02:36PM)
Would this be able to be performed blindfolded? Or at least, using a "special" blindfold of some sort?
Message: Posted by: rockwall (Feb 1, 2013 09:09PM)
[quote]
On 2013-02-01 15:36, WesRay wrote:
Would this be able to be performed blindfolded? Or at least, using a "special" blindfold of some sort?
[/quote]

Certainly with a 'special' blindfold but I don't think I'd attempt it actually blindfolded although you could probably do the first part where you match the small cube to the large cube. The solving of the large cube would be much trickier actually blindfolded.
Message: Posted by: Olympic Adam (Feb 5, 2013 03:47PM)
I came up with a way to achieve the first part (as described above) and thought that would be the end of it,

as it is a routine I want to use, I was looking for reasons to buy it (that and the fact that I already had the cubes...)

the amount this costs vs my time to come up with a way to perfect the routine and the fact that I wanted to buy it to support creators meant that I bought it

I'm happy I did, I wont be using the restore, but the other routine is clear and simple, this isn't a full review as I haven't performed it yet, but I will be!
Message: Posted by: Henryharrius (Feb 8, 2013 11:07PM)
Uday it is great that your name is still on the cover...

Im the creator of the restoration and the full routine of Rubik's Nightmare, but my name is being put at the back as "co-creator", not even on the product name or front cover due to some business reason.
Message: Posted by: Henryharrius (Feb 8, 2013 11:26PM)
Opps, wrong place. I was posting this in Skycap.
Message: Posted by: Tim Novy (Feb 12, 2013 06:52AM)
I bought the nightmare although I almost knew how it's done. After playing and thinking a bit I made a few adaptions, that suit my style.
1. Due to obvious reasons, I wanted to use two regular cubes (stage)
2. I liked the idea of solving it in the end, but not the magical way. I wanted it to be mental.

So my ideas for the owners of the DVD:

Instead of the "gimmick" I use a table flipchart(There are some facts about the cube on it, like world records or the incredible figure of possibilities....)

In the end you can have a spectator put a black cloth over your hands to solve the cube in a non magical way.

Hope that might help some of you to give this nice routine a try.
Message: Posted by: Robmonster (Aug 28, 2014 05:48AM)
Tim,

That is a wonderful idea. Thanks for posting.

R