(Close Window)
Topic: Best performance experiences
This is the ying to my last topic's yang. Once I performed the anniversary waltz for a couple. At the end the lady is holding the double backer in her hand with a look of utter astonishment on her face. Her husband slowly turns his face up to me and said " Does it always come out this way? See my wife picked the 6 of diamonds and I picked the 3 of clubs. We were married on June 3." I responded " Everytime sir."

Talk about a lucky coincidence. The couple came in a year later. They still had the card.

Ok..let's hear about your successes.

JR
I was at a business Christmas party, table hopping. After dinner, and everyone had settled down, a man approached me and asked if I could come to his table: wanting to see some magic. I arrived at the table and asked with a smile if anyone wanted to see some magic. The replied was an excited yes. I began my routine and immediatly I saw how much they were soaking it in.

After doing card to wallet, I could tell by their expressions, that they thought I was some sort of wizard. A simple double lift, changing to the selected card, resulted in a literal scream from them. After they realized that what I was doing was the impossible, they stopped trying to catch me in the act.

In the middle of the routine, a gentleman reached over to me, hand outstretched, and said, "Can I shake your hand? This is the most amazing thing Iíve ever seen." I graciously did, and continued with the show. This is, to date, my most remembered and best performance ever.

I do not share this with you to boast of my skill, (which is not much) but to bring hope to the magicians who have felt like stopping magic. These experiences are why we started in the first place, and there will always be times when you feel that hope is lost, but I promise that if you continue, you will forget those bad times, and remember the good ones. Good luck to you all.

-Magic :)
I was sitting in the bus going home from downtown Portland. It was a hot afternoon and people were jammed in the bus like there was no such thing as getting your own car.. geez. people in Portland love buses too much.. but anyway, I started to just play around with my coins and got the attention of people. I did a coins across routine, I did some scotch and soda and some other quick tricks. When I got off the bus at my stop, I had a huge applause from the rest of the passengers. It was a wonderful feeling.
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 8, 2002 02:23PM)
I have been doing magic for a long time and I have had a few great moments.

The one that will always stay with me was the time I performed in Kuwait during the Gulf War. We had down time and I put together a show.

With the help of a friend we put on a 45 minute show. We made a super-X and even an illusion where I vanish and reappeared in the audience.

I made a backdrop from a large piece of canvas. For those 45 minutes the troops and I
believed in magic. It was the most rewarding performance that I had ever done.

We all forgot about rank and why we were there. The smiles and laughs that were displayed that night was magical.

JR
I flew down to Los Angeles a few days after the Northridge earthquake for business. I went to a party at a friends house and did a few simple coin tricks which got an unusually big reaction. a crowd gathered and I borrowed a deck of cards and did a few- ending with an effect where the chosen card appears in the spectators hand. that person literally screamed. I took my shoelace off and did some ring and rope effects. The simplest stuff got a huge reaction, I guess because of the space the people were in after the earthquake.

I'll never forget it.
My favorite "magic moment" actually happened at work and was done for just one other person.

My boss was out one day and we needed to get into his office. I called the department secretary to see if she had a key and she said she didn't but she'd check with office services.

Now, the head of security for our building happened to be in the office right next to my boss and overheard my conversation. He walked over and handed me the key. I tried calling the secretary, but she was already headed down.

I heard her coming before I saw her. She had two [i]giant[/i] key rings connected to each other. There had to be a total of at least 150 keys there. Well, office services had this set of keys, but nobody had ever labeled the keys as to what office door they fit. I saw my perfect opportunity.

She started in on the door, one key at a time. "This is going to take forever". I stepped in. "Here, let me show you the easy way". I did Chad Long's Ninja Key effect (briefly, the key ring is tossed in the air and you catch a single key), stuck the key in the knob and turned it. Thanked her politely and tossed the massive set of keys back to her.

She just stood there with her jaw hanging (literally).

Man, I love it when a plan comes together.

Scott
My moment was when I was at a friends wedding and everyone who was at the wedding that new me started cheering me on for magic!(I didn't have any props on me, except for a deck of playing cards that were in my dads van...) I ran out and grabbed them and went on into an open space at the wedding. I did some simple card fans and some easy card manips.... then I went on to some close up magic.

I came to a table with 5 people, and asked how many people here like magic?.. all of them said (I do!) Well here's a little trick!... I paused and looked through the deck for the Ace of Spades. I found it and made it disappear using the back palm. (now here's the good part) As I bring the card back into sight, I drop it and say to myself (OH SHOOT)... I thought everyone saw it but no one did. They clapped!...

Some lady looked at me and said "but where is the card?" I looked dumb and heard someone scream!... It was a lady at the far side of the table reaching into her purse to find the card (Talk about LUCK!)
This may seem unbelievable the way things came together on this one, but I just can't get over it. This just happened the other day as a matter of fact. I was at school going in to my last class of the day. In that class, we get five minutes at the end of the day before announcements to talk to our friends then we have to quiet down to listen to the afternoon announcements.

I figured I would do some tricks during that time for some of my friends. I was first in the classroom before class started and I sit toward the back of the class, so I saw my chance to set up for the end of class and I hung some invisible thread from the ceiling down to about 1 and a half feet above the top of my desk then class began.

What I was going to do (and I had never tried this before, this was a first time to
"levitate" a quarter in class) was to attach a quarter to the thread and I was going to softly toss it up, it was going to come down a little and then stop in mid air. Well, I was just about to throw it and as I was throwing the quarter up in the air, my teacher said "Everyone stop moving" which is what she says when we need to be quiet to listen to announcements.

Well, I already had some people watching me so they didn't know what to expect since I didn't tell them what I was going to do. But, right when my teacher said that, the quarter stopped and hung in mid air as if on command from my teacher. All I saw around the room was :wow: and it was the quietest the room has ever been. So, I took the quarter, scraped off the wax, put it in my pocket and faced forward. It was AMAZING.
I could not have bought anything better with all of Bill Gates money!

Upclse