(Close Window)
Topic: Mr Dark's 5 Shot Tarot
Just saw this in Rick's twitter.

http://pic.twitter.com/vw2M08GD
Was not going to let the cat out of the bag here yet, but here's a sneak of this little gem :)

I'll be releasing this very soon. It's a collaboration with Bobby Hasbun.

5 shot is a tarot mindreading effect circa 1930's that allows you to "receive" and then do a reading on one of the 22 major arcana, without ever seeing the card they chose. In addition you reveal their "fortune"

The cards are hand aged. What you see below is an un-aged scan of the back design on the 5 cards plus one "legend" card.

That's all for now. More in a week or so! Thanks guys

[img]http://s13.postimage.org/cd3kady3r/darman2.jpg[/img]
Message: Posted by: jesse_james_mcguire (Nov 4, 2012 11:51PM)
OMg I can't wait to see this! I hear Bobby is a very CLEVER guy!
[quote]
On 2012-11-05 00:39, Roth wrote:
Was not going to let the cat out of the bag here yet, but here's a sneak of this little gem :)

I'll be releasing this very soon. It's a collaboration with Bobby Hasbun.

5 shot is a tarot mindreading effect circa 1930's that allows you to "receive" and then do a reading on one of the 22 major arcana, without ever seeing the card they chose. In addition you reveal their "fortune"

The cards are hand aged. What you see below is an un-aged scan of the back design on the 5 cards plus one "legend" card.

That's all for now. More in a week or so! Thanks guys

[/quote]

Oops! Sorry about opening the bag, Rick!

But I'm excited too!
Message: Posted by: jesse_james_mcguire (Nov 5, 2012 06:20AM)
When can I get it?
I thought I was finally immune to "the instant I see it, I want it" syndrome.

I guess not.

David
Interesting........
Beautiful...simply beautiful.

Wonder how great the other side of the card will be.

Show us!!!!
Message: Posted by: jesse_james_mcguire (Nov 6, 2012 01:00AM)
This looks like it will be a really great trick!
Actual aged card 5 inch by 3.25 inch on heavy 200lb stock (Dark Dawn stock)

[img]http://s14.postimage.org/6qroyog5d/shot_002.jpg[/img]
Message: Posted by: jesse_james_mcguire (Nov 6, 2012 05:55AM)
Does it come in an aged box? Like the Carnie?
Hey do you know the price it's gonna go for? Thanks.
[quote]
On 2012-11-06 02:00, jesse_james_mcguire wrote:
This looks like it will be a really great trick!
[/quote]

TRICK??!!??
Dogs do tricks.
[quote]
On 2012-11-08 20:25, David Eichler wrote:
Dogs do tricks.
[/quote]

Exactly!!
[quote]
On 2012-11-06 06:55, jesse_james_mcguire wrote:
Does it come in an aged box? Like the Carnie?
[/quote]
It comes in an aged cardboard box the size of the Carnie card box. It has an aged Label on the top with a blurb from Mr. Dark stating "facts" about life and your deepest desires, and it has 10 cents printed on the label.

With inflation it is now in the $50 range :)

Should be up next week. Bobby and I are putting some finishing touches on the booklet.
Message: Posted by: revenantproductions (Nov 9, 2012 12:18AM)
This looks great Rick!
How was mr. Dark related to Luna Rose?
Was this another Wonder Tour or were they together on the same tour?
I'm in anyway.
...the idea is interesting, but the blues and reds are too strong in my opinion...and the main face should be larger in the centre, or the 5 should be in the centre, with a kinda pin-wheel coming out from the background...just my opinion though (as a designer)! good luck with it...
Dang Rick, you have been a busy man. My bank account is cringing in horror!

-Max
Looks good to me.
Preorder deal?
Good suggestion brehan.
[quote]
On 2012-11-09 02:36, Don H wrote:
How was mr. Dark related to Luna Rose?
Was this another Wonder Tour or were they together on the same tour?
I'm in anyway.
[/quote]
Dark worked the Wonder Tour. He had traveled the west with his own Medicine Show for 40 years. One day he chanced upon the Wonder Tour and met Hobbs, who convinced him to join and travel with the tour.

Dark sold miracle elixirs (snake oil), potions, herbs, cures for baldness and various other staples of the Medicine Show wagon. He would bring crowds in with his demonstration of his 5 Shot.

Once they were convinced of his uncanny ability to "connect" his mind to anothers, his credibility firmly in place he would then sell them his products, charms and even books.

Dark never sold his 5 shot, it was his "Golden Goose". Then in 1938 he decided to retire the show and return home to North Carolina.

Before Dark's final show Cornelius Hobbs offered Dark a deal, $1,000 for the rights to sell the 5 Shot, far more money then Hobbs would ever recoup from selling the cards themselves, but the "draw" would be worth it and the money was his way of saying "thank you" to Dark for all the crowds he drew in over the years.

Dark agreed with the terms and Hobbs started producing the cards in 1938 at his Trinity Press in Salem, but something strange happened.

The "marketeer" had second thoughts. His old friend Dark had kept the secret of the 5 Shot for over 40 years. How could he release it? He decided he could not.

He took the case of cards and gave them out to members of Sanctum and those he could trust to keep the secret of the 5 shot. They were never sold to the public. Some say only a handful still exist today. A relic of the great days of the Medicine Show and secrets kept.
Email me for a pre-order price of $45
Starts shipping this coming thursday and the price will go to $60 shipped world wide
Pictured below is the box with label (crib) :)

Thanks!
[img]http://s16.postimage.org/5vejstxmt/ddddkkkk_001.jpg[/img]
Hi Rick before ordering is there also a picture of the front?
[quote]
On 2012-11-11 04:11, brehan wrote:
Hi Rick before ordering is there also a picture of the front?
[/quote]
Here's one of the fronts. It's a test we did on aging, font size and whether to use the Carnie style or the Carnie traditional. The camera washed out the nice aging and color. The card and art are much "richer" looking in hand. I'll post some nicer pics Monday when I have the finished sets come in.

The cards are also hand waxed and this card was not a wax test.

You may notice a couple of Carnie cards in there with the traditional cards. We decided to use the Carnie traditional for the cards.

The "desires" below each card are used either as an additional reading or a combined reading with the card of their choice.
There is also a 6th card in the box we call the "legend" card, it is a bold crib :) . Even if you know the 22 arcana it's still nice to have.

[img]http://s17.postimage.org/dzmm9r4wv/bbbbks_003.jpg[/img]
Email me for a pre-order price of $45
Starts shipping this coming thursday and the price will go to $60 shipped world wide
Pictured below is the box with label (crib) :)

Thanks!
[img]http://s16.postimage.org/5vejstxmt/ddddkkkk_001.jpg[/img]
Looks great Rick! So does this come with routines and manuala as well? or just the major arcana cards and crib card?
[quote]
On 2012-11-11 21:41, Mind illusionist wrote:
Looks great Rick! So does this come with routines and manuals as well? or just the major arcana cards and crib card?
[/quote]
Comes with a manual with a couple of routines, "reading" suggestions etc and a private forum. It's really a Tarot reading, so we do include basic reading and meaning of each card, but anyone that reads tarot will have their own interpretation based on who they are reading for.

If a buyer is new to tarot the manual will give them the traditional interpretations and combine them with a reading for the "desires"
Both the lid and the legend card are cribs so there is no memory work :)

Webpage and discount are up.
[url=http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-arsenal/specialities/5-shot-tarot.html]5 Shot[/url]
Webpage is up and being "tweaked" right now. and they are at $45 shipped. The price will go to $60 at midnight on Tuesday. They will be in stock Tuesday, aged and shipping by Thursday. So save yerself 15 bucks :)

It's really a beautiful piece and the props are a great addition to any "Hauntique"
Had a lot of fun working with Bobby Hasbun on this effect.

I'd also like to credit the very talented Mr. Paul Prater for his help with the back design graphics
[url=http://www.outlaw-effects.com/store/the-arsenal/specialities/5-shot-tarot.html]5 Shot[/url]
[img]http://s18.postimage.org/paautn9ft/dark_shot_004.jpg[/img]
This looks Great!
I could not take it anymore,my order is in! :)

Now is the time to get,with the discount price!

How many effects,in our select little group,can be purchased at $45.00 ?

Thanks,Rick!
Message: Posted by: Autumn Morning Star (Nov 12, 2012 12:24AM)
[quote]
On 2012-11-10 16:37, Roth wrote:
Dark worked the Wonder Tour. He had traveled the west with his own Medicine Show for 40 years. One day he chanced upon the Wonder Tour and met Hobbs, who convinced him to join and travel with the tour.

Dark sold miracle elixirs (snake oil), potions, herbs, cures for baldness and various other staples of the Medicine Show wagon. He would bring crowds in with his demonstration of his 5 Shot.

Once they were convinced of his uncanny ability to "connect" his mind to anothers, his credibility firmly in place he would then sell them his products, charms and even books...

He took the case of cards and gave them out to members of Sanctum and those he could trust to keep the secret of the 5 shot. They were never sold to the public. Some say only a handful still exist today. A relic of the great days of the Medicine Show and secrets kept.
[/quote]
This is very a very cool and connected storyline that you have created! Interestingly enough, my ancestral line leads back to people who actually worked in Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. I guess it is no accident that I love what you are creating here.
I just put in my order!

-Max
Thanks, Rick! Very generous of you. Looks insanely good...and it looks like it's a two-headed love-child from OE and AM, to boot! I realize, it's probably not the first time this has happened. :bg:
Ordered.
[quote]
On 2012-11-12 00:30, Roth wrote:
The price will go to $60 at midnight on Tuesday. They will be in stock Tuesday, aged and shipping by Thursday. So save yerself 15 bucks :)

Tonight's, the night...
You guys are in for a treat. Long time tarot reader Cody Stoltz (Dark Dawn)was brought in to write the 22 readings that combine the card reading and the "desire" reading. It's all gold. Bobby and I are very happy to have Stoltz contributing his expertise.

Not only do you get the effect, but you get the insight into how a true reader interprets the cards. Of course there are many true readers on this board so for those that are just starting or want to learn, Cody's reading will point you in the right direction.
Mr Roth, are you shipping the first orders today?

-Max
Orders are shipping tomorrow only because I had Cody Stoltz add a complete treatise on tarot reading to the manual and 22 reading, one for each card.

I did raise the price up $15 to $60 including shipping but if anyone on Spooky wants the $45 price (and see's this post) PM me and get it at $45 for a limited time.

Shutter bug is also shipping!

Thanks!
http://www.google.ca/imgres?num=10&um=1&hl=en&safe=off&client=safari&rls=en&biw=1440&bih=700&tbm=isch&tbnid=pXS5GUjXO4NuOM:&imgrefurl=http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Mr._Dark&docid=LvHmbyV9HH_wnM&imgurl=http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120418013927/disney/images/7/74/102109_WDA_WOIN_Pryce.jpg&w=300&h=300&ei=cmClUJSbOIHLyAHF-4D4DA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=177&vpy=137&dur=2454&hovh=225&hovw=225&tx=123&ty=101&sig=104180778099093549615&sqi=2&page=1&tbnh=140&tbnw=138&start=0&ndsp=26&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:66

One of my favourite books from childhood...

Now ya got me thinking of bringing the witch, Cooger, the lighting rod salesman and more into some routine or act... and a time travel merry go round... and an electric chair... and a mirror maze of madness... oh yeah yeah... Mr. Dark -> BTW Lucy Cypher (Yes you Autumn!!!) Mr. Dark is one of the Autumn people from Ray Bradbury's works...

“For these beings, fall is ever the normal season, the only weather, there be no choice beyond. Where do they come from? The dust. Where do they go? The grave. Does blood stir their veins? No: the night wind. What ticks in their head? The worm. What speaks from their mouth? The toad. What sees from their eye? The snake. What hears with their ear? The abyss between the stars. They sift the human storm for souls, eat flesh of reason, fill tombs with sinners. They frenzy forth....Such are the autumn people.”
― Ray Bradbury
I had a great time working with Roth the past couple months on the 5Shot.. Talked with him today and he said all orders up to today will ship next week starting on Monday!
Splendid! :)
All 5 shot orders have shipped! (up to last Friday)
The SM as well?
Now I will be checking my mail box eachnight when I get home. I hope I get it in time to play with during the long weekend.

-Max
Yes! I got mine on Wednesday. The box the cards come in is even very nicely aged, and the whole thing looks fantastic! If you own some other Outlaw products you may even already be familiar with a part of the workings. Now after looking it over and reading the documentation, I think I really want to get a set of the Tarot cards that match the images on the 5 shot so that I can bring out a larger card for the sitter to see so I can discuss aspects of the symbolism on the card they chose.

-Max
Mine arrived this morning. The aging is excellent and, presented properly, the effect is strong.
Holy Wow!!! This is awesome! I got mine on Wed before the holiday. Aging is great. I was a little worried about the colours as a lot of artificially aged items tend to use colours not in use on general printing at the time. These look great though. :) The leetle secret is well placed and easy. If you know your tarot (and you should) then there's really nothing to learn - immediately useful.
Sooo I already have been playing around with handlings - mixing it with DDT is nice, but might have to get the deck that matches. This is so powerful that my usual test-subjects were half convinced I was using dark powers. If you haven't already, do it! :D
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 23:07, Ragged Robin wrote:
Holy Wow!!! This is awesome! I got mine on Wed before the holiday. Aging is great. I was a little worried about the colours as a lot of artificially aged items tend to use colours not in use on general printing at the time. These look great though. :) The leetle secret is well placed and easy. If you know your tarot (and you should) then there's really nothing to learn - immediately useful.
Sooo I already have been playing around with handlings - mixing it with DDT is nice, but might have to get the deck that matches. This is so powerful that my usual test-subjects were half convinced I was using dark powers. If you haven't already, do it! :D
[/quote]

Welcome, Robin!
The traditional carnie tarot (the deck that matches) is a must (IMO) with 5shot!
Received mine last Wednesday. Coming from the West Coast USA to the East Coast, that was pretty fast. Thanks, Rick! PDF delivery was quick too, once I remembered to send the email. ;)

Now that I've read about using this with the Carnie Tarot....oh man. :bg:
This looks like great fun; order placed. (An idea straight from Hoffman I think?)
Does anyone know yet what the significance to the desires are? I understand the reveal of the card but where does the desire tie in? Is it just to give you a direction to go when talking about the chosen card?

-Max
[quote]
On 2012-11-27 14:52, maxnew40 wrote:
Does anyone know yet what the significance to the desires are? I understand the reveal of the card but where does the desire tie in? Is it just to give you a direction to go when talking about the chosen card?

-Max
[/quote]
Cards can be read many ways, it's up to the reader to do their own interpretation, and that will vary with the particular sitter.

The "desires" or "fortunes" are something the sitter has seen and may assume there is possibly some connection to their card or to themselves.

As seen in the manual, the desire can be incorporated into the reading as a visual anchor. They are now getting a reading that ties into something they know (the desire) as opposed to the readers personal interpretation of just the card, making it seem more personal.

The desire can also be used as an additional "fortune" reading after the card has been interpreted.

Lastly, they make the cards look a little cooler :) A bit more "carnie".
Does this work as well with Dark Dawn as with Carnie? How? PM if inappropriate to answer here.
Thanks for the quick explaination Roth. If I were to order a set of cards that matched the images on the 5 shot, would I get the Carnie Flemish arcana?

-Max
[quote]
On 2012-11-27 15:57, aligator wrote:
Does this work as well with Dark Dawn as with Carnie? How? PM if inappropriate to answer here.
[/quote]

If you decide to link it with a Tarot deck, it can be linked with any. DDT is a beautiful deck and I recommend getting it regardless. However, if you want the deck to match the images on the 5shot, that would be the Carnie Flemish (also beautiful and recommended).
This is charming.
Message: Posted by: jesse_james_mcguire (Dec 4, 2012 01:02AM)
Wow Just got my 5 shot! What can I say that hasn't already been said? Oh yeah! This is the best system ever! I say system because it's more than a trick... You can deliver a very good reading with these cards as your catalyst.. Well done.. Well done...
Message: Posted by: jesse_james_mcguire (Dec 5, 2012 04:32AM)
Update... So I did a test performance on my captive lunch audience (co-workers) and they thought I was the devil! they had no clue.. It worked really well doing two readings at a time... try it.
And now from the news desk...

GET THIS NOW. I purchased it mainly because I think Outlaw's "work" on their products can't be beat, so when this went on sale, there was no way I was going to pass it up. I figured that it would go on the shelf as a "very proud to own" item of art. And there it would stay.

NO WAY... look I'm 60 years old, already having some brain farts, I sit on my fat rear end all day programming from home in the Rocky Mountains and I can't find my girlfriend (I know she's here somewhere in the house). When I got 5 Shot I looked over the instructions and guess what? If you can add, you got this thing all worked out. You need a crib? There's two cribs right in front of you and the spectator and he/she will never realize that you are reading directly from a script... right there in front of them. Outlaw laid this thing right into your lap. And if you are actually still blessed with a memory... then you can do this in the dark... with your eyes closed.

And the cards... the box... the fonts, the legends... really... I collect antiques and ephemera... these cards would have passed the smell test for me... if I had seen these in an antique mall... I would have never guessed that they were recently manufactured and then aged.

5 shot is light weight, fits in your pocket, briefcase, underwear (I know who you are) or even a suit jacket for those who actually still dress up. It's a 5 minute mental trick or a 20 minute act... it's all up to you... either way you will floor your audience.

GET IT NOW.
[quote]
On 2012-12-07 19:01, Al Desmond wrote:
And now from the news desk...

GET THIS NOW. I purchased it mainly because I think Outlaw's "work" on their products can't be beat, so when this went on sale, there was no way I was going to pass it up. I figured that it would go on the shelf as a "very proud to own" item of art. And there it would stay.

NO WAY... look I'm 60 years old, already having some brain farts, I sit on my fat rear end all day programming from home in the Rocky Mountains and I can't find my girlfriend (I know she's here somewhere in the house). When I got 5 Shot I looked over the instructions and guess what? If you can add, you got this thing all worked out. You need a crib? There's two cribs right in front of you and the spectator and he/she will never realize that you are reading directly from a script... right there in front of them. Outlaw laid this thing right into your lap. And if you are actually still blessed with a memory... then you can do this in the dark... with your eyes closed.

And the cards... the box... the fonts, the legends... really... I collect antiques and ephemera... these cards would have passed the smell test for me... if I had seen these in an antique mall... I would have never guessed that they were recently manufactured and then aged.

5 shot is light weight, fits in your pocket, briefcase, underwear (I know who you are) or even a suit jacket for those who actually still dress up. It's a 5 minute mental trick or a 20 minute act... it's all up to you... either way you will floor your audience.

GET IT NOW.
[/quote]
Thanks Al!

Those that have 5 Shot send me an email for the private forum password.
It is easy to do, but I am trying to get all 22 Major Arcana cards and the meaning memorized which takes some time for me. I also feel like I will have to buy a set of the flemish carnie tarot cards also to expand this a bit.

-Max
[quote]
On 2012-12-10 11:30, maxnew40 wrote:
It is easy to do, but I am trying to get all 22 Major Arcana cards and the meaning memorized which takes some time for me. I also feel like I will have to buy a set of the flemish carnie tarot cards also to expand this a bit.

-Max
[/quote]

try this for a stack http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/search_post.php?topic=265319&forum=221&post=7492210
Thanks Tim!

I can easily get the name of the card from the 5 shot. I just need to get as much card meaning as I can memorized to give me lots to draw on when giving a reading based on that card.

-Max
Memorizing the meanings is a small part of the task. Knowing a lot about the symbolism of tarot cards (which is good, mind you) is less important than knowing how to read tarot. The difference is not inconsequential. Really getting to know the images at a visual level and letting your imagination tell you what they mean to you will get you farther, faster, than memorizing lists of associations.
Al, great review, and ditto from me. I have often considered making up Professor Hoffman's delightful conceit, but just never did, not least because it's still just an odd card trick. Using the same technology wih Tarot is inspired, and presesnting it in this form doubly so. The artefact is ecentrically beautiful, the story compelling, and the results immensely satisfying. Highly recommended.
5 shot,arrived today!
I have not had a chance to try out yet,but I agree with the comments on the cards themselves !
They do have that,circa look to them! The pictures do not do them justice. Plus,they have that wonderful smell that takes you back in time! It is amazing how much time I spend sniffing all my Outlaw,that comes in! lol
Thanks Rick, and all the other "Outlaws"!

~G
Indeed - I have a set too - and thinking how to make it part of a Ray Bradbury themed presentation as well
[quote]
On 2013-01-28 23:35, Dr Spektor wrote:
Indeed - I have a set too - and thinking how to make it part of a Ray Bradbury themed presentation as well
[/quote]

Do share at some point in time!

I have been able to go over the PDF now,and have had a little time playing with the cards! Looking at them,they truly do look like something from the 30's. For the cards,box with the aging and routine,it is a fantastic buy for $60.00.
I do agree the backs and box do look great, but the faces are a bit disturbing.
It is on it's own not much of a reading tool.

However, I'll tell you how I use them:
Let them pick a card and take the card and the matching cards as well.
Ofcause the blinking is cleaner but I don't take this risk.
Now I know the card and the corresponding issue.

This one from the major arcana is the spiritual blueprint for the reading.
I proceed with placing the Oujia cards reprecenting the more mundane.
You can also use the K@d@ri, HT or m@rked minor tarot cards.
The m@rkes provides hits, turning the cards over during the reading.
You finish the reading by tying all together and the reveal of the chosen card of the 5 shot.
I like the 5 Shot, easy to learn and a nice way to start and end a reading.

But I had a small problem several times: people couldn't read the Name of the Tarrot Cards they had choosen. That kind of made all a little confusing.

So lesson learned: I'll show 5 Shot only to young people with good eyes.
Or buy a magnifying glass antique style
I think using a magnifying glass wouldn't suit my performing style, since I use 5 shot selection at the beginning of a reading using Carnies Tarot and end it with the reveal of 5 shot.

Using even more props in a reading seems rather distracting than enhancing the experience.
[quote]
On 2013-01-30 05:28, Sicnatius wrote:
I like the 5 Shot, easy to learn and a nice way to start and end a reading.

But I had a small problem several times: people couldn't read the Name of the Tarrot Cards they had choosen. That kind of made all a little confusing.

So lesson learned: I'll show 5 Shot only to young people with good eyes.
[/quote]

Or buy a deck of the traditional Flemish Carnie Tarot cards.
It is an utter disgrace that things like 5 Shot Tarot are being so openly ripped off and sold on eBay: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dr-Darks-5-Star-Tarot-Bizarre-mental-Magic-Easy-No-skill-/302356729350?hash=item4665dd8e06:g:08sAAOSwDiBZGtiV

Something should be done about it.