(Close Window)
Topic: Rubber Bands
Message: Posted by: wafflesthemagician (Nov 6, 2012 01:41PM)
I've noticed that there's a growing amount of rubber band tricks, but I've got a pretty important question: What kind of rubber bands do you use, and where do you get them?

Every time I do rubber band tricks, I find myself using these old corroded things that were hanging on my doorknob for the past couple years. This sometimes causes the rubber bands to degrade / snap, while stretching them. So, I went out to my local STAPLES depot, and got a bag of rubber bands. Unfortunately, the #19 economy rubber bands are just not cutting it out for me anymore. I'm just looking for a bag rubber bands that are of very high quality, so that I don't have to worry about them snapping when I re-use them.
Alliance® Rubber Pale Crepe Gold® Rubber Bands In 1-Lb Box, #117B, 7" x 1/8", Box Of 315
I use #16 Rubber Bands.
I just buy the large bag of #18 from Office max, I'm sure Office Depot has the also. I also have them in colors but found out that after I do the effect I usually give them away so stopped using the colors, just the regular rubber bands.

Bill
A serious band shark uses the pure latex Alliance #19 (unless you are a woman with smaller hands). The crepe gold are the best, but you gotta buy a whole pound of them. The second best is available at most large stationery stores it is the pure latex BRITES variety pack rubber bands made by Alliance. They sell for around $1.50, and you can try the blue #16, the orange #18, or the size that you can do the best rubber band magic with the yellow #19.

HAVE FUN
So long as we're on the topic of rubber bands, is there a book or something strictly on rubberband magic that I can find, I like the idea of putting on some rubberbands like a bracelet and being able to perform with just that, but right now I only know about 4 tricks with them and two of the tricks aren't great.
[quote]
On 2012-11-25 18:31, Gary T. wrote:
So long as we're on the topic of rubber bands, is there a book or something strictly on rubberband magic that I can find, I like the idea of putting on some rubberbands like a bracelet and being able to perform with just that, but right now I only know about 4 tricks with them and two of the tricks aren't great.
[/quote]

The book "Elastrix" is excellent. Check Elmwood Magic.
When I do my restaurant walk around performances or street shows I use the rubber bands all the time. Especially to entertain while waiting to start my street show. I am the opposite of bwarren and I love to use alternating colors since it makes certain effects stand out so much better, such as crazy mans handcuffs or (pardon me I forget the name)when you do a similar move to crazy mans handcuffs but you put one half through the other, one at a time. So at one point it appears as though the two bands are linked together. Different colors are a real "seller" for that move. Extreme Rubber Band Magic by Joe Rindfleisch is a great DVD (most of the moves in Elastix are his creations.Band Shark by Dan Harland is also a great DVD.
Buy the Alliance #19 crepe. Sure, you have to buy a whole pound, but at Amazon.com that cost a whopping $12.53! Just skip your next two Starbucks coffees!

http://www.amazon.com/Pale-Crepe-Gold-Rubber-Bands/dp/B009Y2WSPA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1354210841&sr=8-8&keywords=alliance+%2319+rubber+bands

Jim
[quote]
On 2012-11-29 12:43, J-Mac wrote:
Buy the Alliance #19 crepe. Sure, you have to buy a whole pound, but at Amazon.com that cost a whopping $12.53! Just skip your next two Starbucks coffees!

http://www.amazon.com/Pale-Crepe-Gold-Rubber-Bands/dp/B009Y2WSPA/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1354210841&sr=8-8&keywords=alliance+%2319+rubber+bands

Jim
[/quote]

Of topic I know but I like this point for 3 reasons.
1- Every thing we do has a consumable.
2- The cost of card, bands, mouth coils are nothing compared to the effect achieved and what we charge for it. (Thats if you get your prices rigth and not give it away)
3- We spend money on pointless things with out thinking about it, Starbuck coffee, hats with a brand on it. lets not forget all those real worker the next big thing gaffs we have clutted in a draw.

Jumper by Joe Rindfleisch is a great routine. It got a begin, middle and end. But it can be reorder or add to. A friend suggest it to me because I liked fibre optics for the same reason.

CMH and start gazer are something I use alot.

Sorry to start with a rant but also hope the second bit helps.
What is amazing to me is that even the jumping rubber band gets people going. If they have not seen it before, or not done it smoothly, it really is a good eye catcher.

Good stuff.

RevJohn
A new possibility to link 2 rubber bands...

http://www.ellusionist.com/rubber-raid-by-sebastien-fourie.html
Nice demo .. One of the links looks really good. ...
I agree- Alliance #19 is the way to go. I have Blue Bands, Orange Bands, and natural bands. They are the best IMO. Amazon for about $13 including shipping gets you a pound- last you a long time.
[quote]
On 2013-02-04 19:37, jcrabtree2007 wrote:
I agree- Alliance #19 is the way to go. I have Blue Bands, Orange Bands, and natural bands. They are the best IMO. Amazon for about $13 including shipping gets you a pound- last you a long time.
[/quote]

No kidding!

I am not exactly sure what I paid for them in Spain way back when I first started doing rubber band magic, but I am still working through the first bag of Alliance bands that I bought 20 years ago...Regardless of the fact that I love rubber band magic and perform it all the time, it just shows you how long these things last! If you get a bag of particularly well-made bands, you can get a lot of hard use out of them.
#19 staples brand