(Close Window)
Topic: Book Club.
In another thread, the idea was raised of starting an informal Book Club here at the Café, with strictly NO 'magic shop' books allowed.

What do people think of this idea? Plum or dumb?

Regards,

Caleb Strange :readingbook:.
Yeah, great idea Caleb!

I am always looking for new books/quthors to read, and would love to get out a book, read it and discuss it here on the Café with all the wonderful new friends I have meet!

Sounds great, name the book and I'll be there!
Count me in...

Luke Jermay.
I don't know that I understand the concept.
Sounds like a very good idea !
Yeah, how will it work?

Anabelle :giving:
Do you mean NON-magic books? Or what? I'd like to know the process.

Ellen
I think the original idea was for non-magic books, in the sense that we wouldn't be ploughing through 8 volumes of Tarbell - there are other places at the Café for doing that - though we could read a book such as 'Carter beats the Devil' which is kind of about magic. Novels, short stories, kids' books, poetry, comic books, history, biography, whatever we want, so long as the work doesn't contain the words 'control the selected card to the top of the deck' :).

Without wishing to hog the idea, maybe I could suggest a procedure, and then we can bash it into shape:

A fellow member of the Café suggests a book/author, and those of us interested in doing this endeavour to read the book, or at least the author, so as to discuss it in, say, a month's time. We could take it in turns suggesting books, and that way, like Chris says, we get to discover new stuff.

I've never been in a book club before, so I think that's roughly the procedure. As for how it develops, it'd probably be a case of wait-and-see, but I think it would be important that everybody felt welcome, and that all contributions (even just saying, 'I didn't like it') were valued. Also, it would be nice if people felt free and able to dip in, as and when they wanted.

Anybody want to add to this, or revise the time-scale, or even suggest a book for us to look at?

Regards,

Caleb Strange.

P.S. I know that, occasionally, people will discuss a non-magic book in this forum. But I think that there are advantages in being slightly more organised. Also, because of the nature of the Café, old 'threads' can be picked up sometime after our first responses - not only does this give people more time to read the book, but it also gives us the chance to chew over and digest something that interests us. Finally, and perhaps sadly, I doubt this would be the sort of book club where we would hang around each other's houses once a month, for coffee, cake, and thinly disguised sexual tension. :hotcoffee: :lover:

But that aside, it still could be fun :).
Caleb, you're a strange guy, did you know that ?
Anyways, count me in too. I love to read, "BK" (before kids) I used to read constantly but I manage to get in a good novel or something now and then. I like this idea.

GlenD
Oh yeah, I'm in. This could be great!
I too would be very interested in this endeavor.

Thank you for the invitation.

Cheers - El Lamo

P.S. I'm hoping the selected work will not have the opening passage, "I never thought I would be writing to you, but last night..."
>>Count me in! :readingbook:
I too would be interested in this endevour. I love reading books. I think as far as deciding on a book, we should try a different genre each month. One month could be classics, another month sci-fi and so on. Then we could all recommend books and give a brief plot detail and then ultimately everyone could agree on the book.

XX
I'm in!

Mark
Let's start off with Carter beats the devil--It's on my shelf--I need some encouragement! ANybody have any other ideas? I also would like other types of books as well. I love Patricia Cromwell stuff.

Any ideas? What is the time limit for the book/s?
Finish in 3 weeks or less?? :question:

Ellen
A few more suggestions (links are to Amazon):

[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0446310786/qid=1068043293/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/103-2568752-2231055?v=glance&n=507846]To Kill a Mockingbird[/url] by Harper Lee

[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0441790348/qid=1068043342/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/103-2568752-2231055]Stranger in a Strange Land[/url] by Robert Heinlein (quite long, though)

[url=http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0060937939/qid=1068043499/sr=ka-1/ref=pd_ka_1/103-2568752-2231055]Little, Big[/url] by John Crowley
Okay, how would you compare Gold's description of magic with Clive Barker's?
I've already read Carter beats the Devil! I think this will be the hard part, finding books no one in the club hasn't read yet.
Firedice, how does Gold describe magic?
- from the magicians perspective?
- from the audience perspective?
- as a means of moving propelling a plotline?
- as a subject of its own to explore?
Since Caleb started this idea, why does'nt he make a few suggestions or pick the first book ?
That's a good observation, Firedice, although I don't really think it should matter if one or more have read a given selection. Just read it again, or not, and give your comments along with everyone else when everyone is done with the book. But maybe we are a small enough group where a selection could be made that no one has read, I agree that would be best but I don't really care all that much either way.
Caleb... where are you ? :comply:

GlenD
If Chrystal, Anabelle and Ellen are in. count me in as well

vinny
OK Caleb--What's the first book??

Ellen
If this is going to be a true book club, you need to spend more time gossiping about others, eating hors d'oeuvres and drinking Merlot than discussing the book.

My book recommendation: [i]Buddy Holly is Alive and Well on Ganymede[/i].
Glen, I agree. If you have already read the book than at least you can join in on the discussion. I'm all for it.
I vote for carter beats the devil? Based on truth or not?

Ellen
I'm about 100 pages into Carter Beats the Devil. Some impetus to finish it would be good (I got deviated onto a different book).

Great idea! Awaiting the go-ahead from Caleb.
There seems to be a groundswell of support for 'Carter Beats the Devil' by Glen David Gold, so let's start with that. Let's aim to start discussing it by the beginning of December.

Apologies to people (like Firedice) who've already read it. Maybe we can sort out a nominations procedure so that everybody gets the chance to read new stuff most of the time?

Happy reading,

Caleb Strange.
Ok then, guess I will go and try to get my hands on a copy right away. I figured it was going to be this one, it does sound very interesting.
Does this count as Ellen's turn ? :nana:
Just kidding. At least we can get started now!

GlenD
Excellent! hear they are making this into a movie soon?
Well, guess I am off to the library!
Great!
Just borrowed from my library.

Cheers - El Lamo
Hey, no sweat... I'd be happy to discuss it when everyone has read it.
:readingbook:
Chris--
A movie?? No way! I wonder who's gonna be in it.
I'll look out for it.

Ok...great choice caleb.
Everyone--On your mark, get set...read!

Ellen :bwink:
Got my book, local Borders here had a copy!!! Now all I need is something to keep my head from smacking the book as I fall asleep trying to read late at night.
You can sample the book here...

http://content.sirsi.com/uhtbin/getenrich/0786867345/EXCERPT

Cheers - El Lamo
Hey, if everyone would be willing to read "Tort Law and Alternatives" and "Problems in Contract Law" I'd love to discuss them. Particularly if anyone would like to write a synopsis of either book....say by early December. :P

Paul
Here's about the upcoming movie that I saw somewhere it may be March 2004.

http://www.aintitcool.com/display.cgi?id=15139

Ellen
[quote]
On 2003-11-06 16:46, Caleb Strange wrote:
There seems to be a groundswell of support for 'Carter Beats the Devil' by Glen David Gold, so let's start with that.
[/quote]
Not a very imaginative choice for a group of magi, but at least it's not a Harry Potter book. And kudos for avoiding [i]The Da Vinci Code[/i] bandwagon.
The book is great, am having a lot of fun reading it and finding myself cracking up at times.
Can't wait to finish it and discuss it with all of you.
And, in all seriousness, I am very curious what book Wolfgang would recommend for a possible second read for the group...

GlenD
Message: Posted by: Jonathan Townsend (Nov 13, 2003 03:14PM)
Just got a copy of "Carter..." so will be prepared to discuss soon.
[quote]
On 2003-11-10 12:05, Wolfgang wrote:
[quote]
On 2003-11-06 16:46, Caleb Strange wrote:
There seems to be a groundswell of support for 'Carter Beats the Devil' by Glen David Gold, so let's start with that.
[/quote]
Not a very imaginative choice for a group of magi, but at least it's not a Harry Potter book. And kudos for avoiding [i]The Da Vinci Code[/i] bandwagon.

[/quote]

However, Da Vinci Code was a great book! But I agree, it could cause serious debate issues. And what do you have against Harry Potter!?
:goof:
[quote]
On 2003-11-13 11:53, GlenD wrote:
And, in all seriousness, I am very curious what book Wolfgang would recommend for a possible second read for the group...
[/quote]
Earlier in the thread I proposed [i]Buddy Holly is Alive and Well on Ganymede[/i] by Bradley Denton. I also think [i]Gravity's Rainbow[/i] by Thomas Pynchon would be excellent for this group; although I think asking any book club to wrap its collective head around this book is probably asking too much.

Don't get me wrong, I've read [i]Carter Beats the Devil[/i] and thoroughly enjoyed it. Sorry if I came across as a buzz-kill.
[quote]
On 2003-11-14 11:20, Firedice27 wrote:
And what do you have against Harry Potter!?
:goof:
[/quote]
Nothing.
Whoa! Gravity's Rainbow made my brain hurt. But still a great book!