(Close Window)
Topic: Will laymen care or notice?
Will laymen care or notice if you do one trick with a RED gimmicked deck (ID)! put the deck away then say"you know what we'll do another trick" but then bring out a BLUE normal deck and continue with your tricks... will they notice or care... and if they do notice and they question you, what do you say?
Thanks
Nope. I was walking around with different colored decks tonight no one says anything.
If what you are doing is "tricks" they may not notice or care or admit it.

If you being performing magic effects with a goal of creating a long-term magical memory, then such details can be very important -- in fact the objective must be to eliminate any possible cause of suspicion or solution other than "magic."

If a spectator ever questions you about any prop you use there is something missing in your presentation. They should be so enchanted with what you are doing that they would never dare break the flow by asking a question.

Of course, if you are performing bars you should expect interruptions, and if disturbing folks at the dinner table they might ask questions just to make you go away.

The question should never be which prop to use, but how to create a special universe with this audience in which magic is expected to occur.
I would tend to agree with both. While they might not admit they noticed, spectators are smarter than we often give them credit for. The cost of a deck of cards is roughly $5; a new ID is roughly $10-15. There's not a huge amount of reason to leave this discrepancy at the mercy of your spectators' observation skills. You might have 50 spectators not notice it, but the one who does will call you on it, and you're stuck.

Any reason why you aren't matching your regular cards to your ID?

- Andrew
Message: Posted by: Dimitri Mystery Artist (Dec 4, 2012 09:59AM)
[quote]
On 2012-12-04 08:44, CdnAndrew wrote:

Any reason why you aren't matching your regular cards to your ID?

- Andrew
[/quote]

I was wondering the same.

I think they will notice and care...but if you cannot avoid it, maybe you can say that you are missing a few cards and for the next effect you need a full deck
If doing an ID with different color back, why not use it as an 'Earlier I had a feeling about 1 card and I put it in this deck so it was different than the rest of the other cards...'
I would think a spectator would notice and probably think (correctly) "He's using trick cards". Otherwise, what would be the reason to have two different colored decks...unless you are performing a trick that requires such.
They'll notice.

The fact that you asked the question is prima facie evidence that you've already concluded as much.
[quote]On 2012-12-04 12:32, patrick flanagan wrote:
I would think a spectator would notice and probably think (correctly) "He's using trick cards". Otherwise, what would be the reason to have two different colored decks...unless you are performing a trick that requires such.[/quote]
If you start your set with, say, Darwin Ortiz' [b][i]Psychotronic Card[/i][/b], then there will be no problem: you've already tipped that you have a red and a blue deck.

If you don't start with that, you should.
The question is not if they will notice. The question is will they care. IF your performance is built so that you have a reason to use that special deck of cards that is a different color, then they will notice, but they will not care.
If you casually say watch this trick, let me put this deck away and now watch a trick with a different deck of cards, they will notice, and they will care. Now itís no longer magic, itís a trick. It may still be entertaining, but itís not magic. if you are going to use a trick deck and donít want to learn a few deck switches, then use a trick deck that calls for a reason for you to use a different deck. Some good examples would be

Spreadwave (itís a special deck because the cards are blank)
Mental photography deck (Once again itís a special deck because the cards are blank)
Kaleidoscope deck (special deck because all the cards have different backs) THIS IS AN AWESOME EFFECT
Locked Deck-(itís a special deck because there is a hole drilled threw it.)

I have personally played with all these gimmicked decks; however for my close up shows I use a deck switch for color changing deck routine.
It depends on the overall experience you provide for them.
When I work, I use a deck that has cards signed and left with the spectator. The deck is obviously being shorted. I have openly switched for a new deck, color irrelevant, by saying that I need a complete deck... Makes sense. Onward.
Thanks guys
cdnandrew and dima mystery artist... I just bought a red ID deck... and I also have a blue deck(which is my not complete deck, and I use it for MCF, that's why I use a blue deck, its just my "bad" deck)
Thanks again for everyones comments
The usual mode of operation is to put the deck away, do a different trick then bring the other deck out.

Another approach, I use, the first trick is a color changing deck...(like Andy) Then anything goes because I've conditioned them.