(Close Window)
Topic: What Lies Inside - Florian Severin
I'm going to tell you something about a book that I actually didn't read, ... :rolleyes:
Sounds strange, right?

Well, in fact I didn't read the updated English version of [url=http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/mentalism/what-lies-inside/]Florian's book that Vanishing Inc. introduced today[/url] in their shop. ;)

Originally this book was published in German language in 2004 as 'Thirteen Steps to Vandalism' - and it became a 'classic' and a best-seller immediately. 'Best-selling' in the sense that the book was out of stock very soon ... for a good reason. In the following years copies of this book were dealt second hand for a multiple of the original price.

Contents? Well, ... in all honesty I don't feel comfortable to talk about the contents. One the one hand the English edition (which I didn't read until now ... but will) is an expanded one. So there are obviously contents in there that I don't even can imagine. And I don't even can imagine them because I know Florian ... at least a little bit, ... :) And his style, approach and ingenuity makes it very hard to anticipate anything in advance what he is going to do.

Yes, I know, this may sound cryptic. But once you've read any of his deliberations you will understand my remarks. Florian is one of the most intelligent thinkers I know on the one hand - and he is one of the most wicked, cool, funky, individual, funny, deviant, strange, whacked-out and sometimes disturbing performers I ever saw!
His ideas,routines and concepts mirror this approach: They are ... strange, funny, brilliantly clever - and always 'special'. And they all are proven in hundreds of real world performances in his theater in Cologne (Germany) or in professional close up or walk around engagements. So as strange as some of his ideas may appear - those are no arm chair ideas or brain farts. All this is the weird ingenuity of a brilliant mind, distilled in practice.

Honestly I doubt that anyone out there could ever perform Flo's routines the way he does - he is too 'special', ... and I (personally) am different in so many ways compared to his approach that I barely could ever use any of his pieces in the way he does regularly.
Nevertheless his book was a 'fountain of youth', a spring of originality and innovativeness for me. The phrase 'out of the box' (even presentational-wise) was invented for Flo I think - and I definitively look forward to study the expanded English version of this book as soon as I can.

Just one point of criticism to close my paean: I like the original book title 'Thirteen Steps to Vandalism' much better than 'What Lies Inside'! Even if I don't know 'What Lies Inside' of the new edition in addition to the original book ... but I can't imagine any phrase that matches Flo's cheeky style better than 'Thirteen Steps to Vandalism'.

Nevertheless: Highly recommended!!!

Cheers
Th.
I also liked the german edition.highly recommended!
I have to second that, already the German edition was a joy to read! Jan
You can download a chapter of the book for free, at VanishingInc.
http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/mentalism/what-lies-inside/
And it's not just secondary content (introduction, table of contents, etc.), it's actual material from the book.
Reading the download was certainly enough to capture my interest!

e
[quote]On 2012-12-08 15:56, eSamuels wrote:
Reading the download was certainly enough to capture my interest![/quote]
Indeed - and it is an alleviation for me as well. :)

This is because I was hoping that the publishers didn't mitigate Flo's manuscript too much!
You have to know that his writing style is quite cheeky and sometimes even a little impertinently and I was afraid that the book in its English edition would be a little 'laundered with fabric softener'.
But reading the 'appetizer' I realized that even if parts of Flo's humor became softer in translation, it will be still a great read!

I'm looking forward to study this edition!
Cheers
Th.
Just ordered. Thanks for letting us know Thomas. I met Florian when working in Koln a few years back. Great guy. This should be great.
The German edition was really fun to read and also very educational. Florian is a "book-aholic" and you will find lot's of good advices for further reading. For example he was the first one who brought my attention to Doc Dixon's "Everything is funnier with monkeys".
Message: Posted by: Rainer - ParaLabs (Dec 11, 2012 06:30AM)
Florian is a freaky guy....and a really big brain...

Here in Germany Florian's book is a "must have" in the magic shelf!
Ordered mine a few days ago....anxiously waiting....
What is amazing to me is that Florian translated his own book from German, and he did a really amazing job!

We worked together to expand and edit the book for over a year. The result is a book I know Florian is very proud and excited about, and I am too. I agree with Thomas that it is not the kind of mentalism book where you will be able to perform lots of routines "as is," but instead it's more of an examination of a character in mentalism, and to see how he approaches his craft. I LOVE the methods he uses, the presentations he creates, and the tone he writes with. I think the book will be a big hit!

Joshua Jay
After I read the free PDF sample - which is a terrific idea by the way, as it allows everyone to sample a "taste" of the authors work - I immediately ordered. You could just tell that his thinking process behind mentalism was clear and cogent. I actually think that the free PDF contains better material in it than many "paid" magic/mentalism purchases I've made. Also got a nice email from Joshua after my purchase, so their service is very good. Joshua, I hope this is a big success for you guys.

Take care -

Ben Cummings
Thank you Ben. We're trying our hardest every day.

Josh
[quote]
On 2012-12-11 13:33, BenCummings wrote:
After I read the free PDF sample - which is a terrific idea by the way, as it allows everyone to sample a "taste" of the authors work - I immediately ordered. You could just tell that his thinking process behind mentalism was clear and cogent. I actually think that the free PDF contains better material in it than many "paid" magic/mentalism purchases I've made. Also got a nice email from Joshua after my purchase, so their service is very good. Joshua, I hope this is a big success for you guys.

Take care -

Ben Cummings
[/quote]

The sample is the same thing that prompted me to order. As soon as I got 1/4 of the way through it, I thought to myself, "This will be a goooood read!"
Mhhh though I already got the german version I would like to order 2 of the english updated ones...but over $60 shipping to Germany? :-O
[quote]
On 2012-12-11 18:09, EricDraven wrote:
Mhhh though I already got the german version I would like to order 2 of the english updated ones...but over $60 shipping to Germany? :-O
[/quote]

Are you sure?! I just checked and the Vanishing Inc. site is giving me a quote of $21.95 to Germany.

--Andi
$61.35 for 2!
Which makes it more sensible to purchase 2 times 1 for 21.95 each...

[quote]
On 2012-12-14 18:27, AndiGladwin wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-12-11 18:09, EricDraven wrote:
[/quote]

Are you sure?! I just checked and the Vanishing Inc. site is giving me a quote of $21.95 to Germany.

--Andi
[/quote]
When the folks at ParaLabs endorse something I'm in

P.s. Joshua jay sent a follow up email as a great seller being happy I purchased the item - I like tho se little touches and I plan to buy more from the v.a.
Unlike many others, this book pushes you in so many new directions, makes you smile broadly so many times and contains the most refreshing take on modern magic and mentalism you could ever hope for. Place. Your. Order.
[b]Chapter 1 – Imagination is a Lemon [color=red]*PREVIOUS
UNPUBLISHED*[/color][/b]
Opening effect that involves the entire audience.
This routine combines real suggestions and sleight of hand to make the
audience believe they see things in a way that aren't. It sets the mood
for your whole act and at the same time paves the way for the audience's
cooperation.

[b]Chapter 2 – Verdoux Voodoo[/b]
A spectator selects a photograph of a women. His choice matches your
prediction.

This routines features a strong and cunning force, plus some thoughts on
how you can make your acts visually more appealing.
It also focusses on why it is important (dramatic-wise) to a have a goal
(a purpose) for your routines and why your audience should know about it.

[b]Chapter 3 – Knock Knock [/b](Essay)[b] [color=red]*PREVIOUS
UNPUBLISHED*[/color][/b]
An easy but effective way to get feedback.

[b]Chapter 4 – When A Stranger Calls[/b]
A classic book test with nice subtleties. (Check out the free sample pdf.)

[b]Chapter 5 – Fly Into Your Head[/b]
A presentational idea how to end a book test (or anything else that
relies on a force). The performers claims to reveal to the audience how
mind reading work. He literally offers them a glimpse inside his head.

[b]Chapter 6 – Effect Overkill [/b](Essay)[b] [color=red]*PREVIOUS
UNPUBLISHED*[/color][/b]
"Is less more?" Florian answer to the question, if and how to combine
mind reading and prophecies in one routine.

[b]Chapter 7 – Psycho[/b]
The audience helps to convict a gruesome murderer.
(Al Koran's Gold Medallion meets a famous movie.)

[b]Chapter 8 – Lottery Limbo [color=red]*PREVIOUS UNPUBLISHED*[/color][/b]
A lottery prediction with real lottery balls. The mentalist is able to
predict which ball/number a spectator will pick. In the second part the
mentalist teaches his secret method to a member of the audience. This
member thinks of a number and the first spectator will take this very ball.

[b]Chapter 9 – Shroompledai[/b]
A spectator gazes into a crystal ball, and successfully devines the
thoughts of another spectator.

[b]Chapter 10 – I know what you did before last show
[/b](Essay)[b][color=red]*PREVIOUS UNPUBLISHED*[/color][/b]
On 40+ pages Florian reveals everything he knows on preshow work.
Everything he learnt through hard work and trial-and-error gets
explained in great detail. He tells you about the great "risks" of
preshow and teaches you how to avoid them.

[b]Chapter 11 – The Time Traveler’s Wife [color=red]*PREVIOUS
UNPUBLISHED*[/color][/b]
The mentalist predict a phone number and a name.
The method used in this chapter can be used to realise many prediction
without having to resort to a force.

[b]Chapter 12 - Conflict Resolution [/b](Essay)
How a "conflict" can help to create a captivating presentation.

[b]Chapter 13 – I Hear White Lies Singing in my Head
[color=red]*PREVIOUS UNPUBLISHED*[/color][/b]
This is more of a principle than just a single trick.
A spectator will hear music or sounds that arent't there. It is also
possible to make him see things that no one else can see. You can also
"change" the taste or smell of the spectator.
Keine Elektronik. Keine eingeweihten Zuschauer. Keine Hypnose. Keine
Fingerfertigkeit.
This method has been used on stage and on tv. It is the first time that
Florian reveals this method.
It appears to rely on hypnosis, but has nothing to do with it. No
electronics, no stooges, no sleight of hand.

[b]Chapter 14 – Size Does Matter [/b](Essay)[b][color=red]*PREVIOUS
UNPUBLISHED*[/color][/b]
An interesting view on "Packs Small - Plays Big".

[b]Chapter 15 – The Fenwick Experience[/b]
Is there a life after death - and how to get away from there?
Based on a real medical study the performer does some mind reading while
entering a near-death state.

[b]Chapter 16 - Avada Kedavra[/b]
The magician/mentalist/birthday clown makes a person vanish. Forever.
Convict the perfect murder without ever getting caught.
For UK buyers, world of magic are selling this. Ive just placed my order...
[quote]
On 2012-12-17 06:21, Peter Bold wrote something about the book's contents
[/quote]
Hey Peter, great to see you here - greetings from Heidelberg...! :)
ESamuels, Thank you for sharing the link to the free sample section of the book. I really enjoyed the sample routine and it provided much inspiration to do something similar. I have been looking for a fun way to use a special calculator I have and now I have a bit more inspiration with this routine and replacing the add-a-number pad with the calculator. The section was very inspiring and now I'm looking forward to the entire book.
Looked impressive just from reading the description. From reading the above, I really can't wait! Should be here in a few days.
I have two favorite tricks in the book. I love his opener, "Imagination is a Lemon." It could EASILY be adapted by a magician instead of a mentalist, and it plays on audience suggestions in a very subtle and funny way.

And I think the concept behind "Verdoux Voodoo" is tremendous. It's a forcing concept for stage that can be used to force ANY kind of image. Andi Gladwin and I have jammed on several totally different trick premises that work with the same concept. You show a three-ring binder type thing with various pictures (in this case of beautiful women), and as you flip through, you allow a spectator to FREELY select any one of the numbered pictures. Then you can force which one she picks. VIsually it looks great and the prep is actually quite simple.

Josh
[quote]
On 2012-12-19 15:26, Joshua Jay wrote:
I have two favorite tricks in the book. I love his opener, "Imagination is a Lemon." It could EASILY be adapted by a magician instead of a mentalist, and it plays on audience suggestions in a very subtle and funny way.
[/quote]

Careful, Joshua... that's not the kind of info that'll help sales.
:)
Does anybody know if Vanishing Inc accepts PayPal?
[quote]
On 2012-12-20 05:30, Jonathan100 wrote:
[/quote]
...do you really want an answer?
Are you to lazy to check directly their website?
Amazing!
After reading the sample effect, I ordered it immediately.

One of the reasons for ordering it was the way that the sample effect has the wheels in my mind turning (I hope in the right direction).

In the sample effect, Florian references Simon Lovell's Simon Says book. Since I've recently bought Simon's DVD set, I've put the Simon Says book & the Son of Simon Says book on my "to buy" list.

Just for the record, I looked through the SIMON SAYS table of contents online & could not find the reference Florian makes.
Rest assured, I found it listed in the SON of Simon Says book.
So all is good.

Just wanted to inform everyone of this because now I will probably only purchase the SON of Simon Says book.

My 'What Lies Inside' is on the way. Hope it arrives soon. Thanks, Joshua!!!
[quote]
On 2012-12-20 05:30, Jonathan100 wrote:
[/quote]

Yes, we definitely do!

--Andi
[quote]I will probably only purchase the SON of Simon Says book. [/quote]

@ Marqus
I don't get paid by Mr. Lovell for saying (well, writing) this, but I can honestly recommend [i]both[/i] books. "Simons Says" and "Son of Simon Says," too. Personally, I prefer the first book, but the second also contains many great (card) tricks, loads of useful advice, and zany ideas.

*** Spoiler alert *** :D In two further chapters of "What Lies Inside" I will refer to Lovell's books again.

Florian
I really like the thinking behind Psycho. And always remember to chose a clear plastic bag for keeping your evidence in a murder case. :)
True. A 'breathtaking' effect with simple but clever means. :D
My copy arrived today, beautiful looking hard bound book...this is my Christmas reading besides the fire.
That's why some call it Hot Reading.
One of my favorite magic books to date. Not only are the effects very good, it is very entertaining to read.
Can anyone give me a hint on how to decipher the coded messages in the book?
[quote]
On 2013-01-04 17:15, Der_Drogenbaron wrote:
[/quote]
The book tells you how.
The book is truly awesome! It's incredibly fun to read, and it's packed with great material.

Mike
65 98 115 111 108 117 116 101 108 121 32 97 103 114 101 101 100 33
[quote]
On 2013-01-05 03:11, Nicolino wrote:
Absolutely Agreed!
[/quote]

Me too.
But I can not think of a good reason to write a full page with this mess.

[quote]
On 2013-01-05 01:24, Nicolino wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-01-04 17:15, Der_Drogenbaron wrote:
[/quote]
The book tells you how.
[/quote]

The book doesn't tell you anything if you don't know how to use Basic.
How many people here do you think know what Basic is or how to use it?

Anyway, PMing a certain line or word in a book seems like the way to go to prove ownership, judging from some other posts on this forum.
So if you have trouble deciphering the "code" at the end of the book, PM me the last line and I'll reply with the deciphered message.

I'll be signing on with Paxi & Fixi's Dating Agency now, meet some girl, then Lexi :D
[quote]So if you have trouble deciphering the "code" at the end of the book, PM me the last line and I'll reply with the deciphered message.[/quote]

Thank you for your kind offer! This would save me from typing in the source code. Lazy me... :)

But actually I was referring to the notes with the crypto-messages scattered throughout the book and [i]not[/i] the BASIC programme. Like the one at the end of chapter "Psycho".

Nicolino, could you be a more specific than the weird numbers?
I love this book.

I am thinking I will do the full Joker makeup I did for Halloween and do a variation of the PSYCHO presentation. (heheheheheh howabout a mentalism trick??? ehheheheheheh....)

What I also really like is Florian's humour - keeps one reading!!!!

I also like that the original concept of 13 steps to vandalism makes sense since the chapters tie into Corinda over and over and the book is more demos of how to apply concepts and so on in innovative ways,... and how to think about creating routines too.

The whole boldness to his style is what I think makes this a classic.

The opener alone is gold... (hmm Joker style... this is not a lemon - it was an eyeball... this was not a knife... it was a pencil.... who wants a magic trick?? I will now make this pencil dissappear.... and then PSYCHO.... hmmm... how to close the act... hmmmm)

Also, his book and reference lists to ANYTHING he mentions in the chapters is bravo great - and now I have new things to track down.

Bravo Florian!!!

And thanks Thomas for starting this thread! I wouldn't have picked it up without your recommendation
You're always welcome, my friend! :)

Cheers
Th.
I think the code says "Be sure to drink your Ovaltine". :)

This is a terrific book. A lot of interesting material and thinking.

John
[quote]
On 2013-01-07 14:16, Der_Drogenbaron wrote:
I was referring to the notes with the crypto-messages scattered throughout the book and [i]not[/i] the BASIC programme. Like the one at the end of chapter "Psycho".

Nicolino, could you be a more specific than the weird numbers?
[/quote]

I'm not following. At the end of Psycho he gives you the solution to his little "word search" (check the beginning of this chapter).
Also, I quoted Nicolino in my above post^^ He said "Absolutely Agreed!"
It was a reference to the code at the end of the book where every letter was replaced with the corresponding value in ASCII: http://www.asciitable.com/
I believe Der_Drogenbaron is not referring to the Hitchcock word search but rather the 3 or 4 Cryptography secret memos spread throughout the book. The only clue on how to decipher those messages is located in bookshop section of Lottery Limbo. Florian points the reader to a specific non-mentalism book for the answer.
I see. The message in "Lottery Limbo" looks like Braille.
I'll have a look at the others.
Message: Posted by: Francois Lagrange (Jan 10, 2013 02:49PM)
I very much like the pdf sample. I've ordered the book. I'm looking forward to reading it.
Lmrmagic: THANK YOU! 1st, for being the only one who understood what I was trying to say. 2nd, for pushing me into the right direction. This is just the hint I was looking for.
(Obviously Nicolino was right after all: the book tells you everything you need to know!)

Thanks to your answer (and a friend of mine who is into comic books) I was able to decipher the memos. Cool. Now I can sleep at night again :)
:D :D :D
Dear members,

I consider myself lucky to have found a copy of the original, German edition quite some time after it had been out of print. Since then I have read it several times and I keep discovering something new every time I go back to it. Florian's plots, methods and general approach to mentalism are very unique, inspiring and thought provoking. Furthermore I have seen him perform routines from the book in front of live audiences and getting huge reactions on numerous occasions.

In my opinion, if you are looking for unique, strong, intelligent and entertaining (!) mentalism you must have this book! I am looking forward very much to reading and studying the expanded English version of this best seller and I strongly suggest you get your copy, too, before it is too late.

Regards,

D
Hi Folks,

I really respect Steve Bryant's reviews and writings. He is thorough and insightful, and he gave an in-depth review of What Lies Inside (among other books) here:

http://littleegyptmagic.com/magic.html

Best,

Joshua Jay
[quote]
On 2012-12-08 15:56, eSamuels wrote:
You can download a chapter of the book for free, at VanishingInc.
http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic/mentalism/what-lies-inside/
And it's not just secondary content (introduction, table of contents, etc.), it's actual material from the book.
Reading the download was certainly enough to capture my interest!

e
[/quote]

I trust e's judgement and have just ordered this from Vanishing Inc.!
I just finished reading this book and I think it is one of the most fun to read mentalism books I ever got my hands on. The routines sound like real workers and I especially recommend the chapters regarding dual reality.