(Close Window)
Topic: X-act
Anyone have any reviews on X-Act. Someone told me it takes a lot of setup and you have to do a lot of the preperation. For $45.00 for a card trick it is too costly if you have to do a lot of the prep work and use your own deck!
Thanks,
Mocro
[quote]
On 2012-12-09 20:12, microastro wrote:
Anyone have any reviews on X-Act. Someone told me it takes a lot of setup and you have to do a lot of the preperation. For $45.00 for a card trick it is too costly if you have to do a lot of the prep work and use your own deck!
Thanks,
Mocro
[/quote]
Maybe a better perspective than cost -v- setup is strength of effect? But if you only see this as a "card trick", I strongly suggest you pass on it!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=474476&forum=109&54
I'm not going to comment on cost vs setup (although Terry Holley's comments are right on target), I'll just answer the question.

Setup takes all of 5 or 10 minutes while you watch the 40 minute (or so) DVD. You might have to pause the DVD while you are doing it. Once it it set up, you should never have to do it again. All necessary items are supplied except for a brand new deck of bikes, and at $3 that is not a lot of extra money to lay out.

I'm not sure what is meant by "preparation", but the simple mathematics that is involved to make it work correctly should be no problem if you have made it through 8th grade math. And I'm being generous when I say 8th grade- 5th grade math is more like it, and that's only because you have to be able to count in multiples of a certain number.

Overall, a very fine effect that I just voted as a top 3 trick of the year! Please see the other thread in the "Latest and the Greatest" section of the Magic Café for more details!
Thanks for the info....
Fantastic trick!
One time setup. (5 minutes)
Instant reset.
Easy to do!
I love this one!
Good Job Mark
Message: Posted by: Silver Glove Magic (Dec 17, 2012 09:34PM)
[quote]
On 2012-12-09 23:08, Terry Holley wrote:
[quote]
On 2012-12-09 20:12, microastro wrote:
Thanks,
Mocro
[/quote]
Maybe a better perspective than cost -v- setup is strength of effect? But if you only see this as a "card trick", I strongly suggest you pass on it!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=474476&forum=109&54
[/quote]

Right on Terry!
I have the effect done, and I don't see the magic at all. It's not clean, most of the time you can't show the box. And you have to hide something. I really surprised that magicians called this clean. It's not clean for me (enough).
It's easy to do and a good instant reset.. but for sure is this kind of magic not my thing. I guess I 'll choose something elss (like the holy grail).
So you're the "show the box" kind of guy? And the "look here, a regular unprepared deck of card" guy?
Alright, then...you'd better pass, of course.

PS: By the way, did I sound like the "Please go ahead, examine this post, there's nothing wrong with it all! And no further words hidden up my sleeve. Wanna see...?" kind of guy? :D
Nice trick easy to do, no one has asked to see anything in 10 performances. So far just a great reaction!

John
This is a fantastic effect. It is simply impossible from the spectators perspective; I have received great reactions when performing this effect. The strengths in my opinion include: easy to perform so you can focus on the presentation, the spectator can hold the envelop containing the prediction so it has an element of magic performed in their hands (note the reveal of the card from the envelop is something I do, but requires no sleight of hand), it is an instant reset, and it leaves a lasting impression. The limitations include: it can not be performed for adjacent tables if you are table hopping, it is a gimmick so you can not use just any deck of cards. Overall, I give this a very strong recommendation to buy. This is a very strong effect. That's my 2 cents.
I love mine.Very strong magic.
Todd
Great effect, although strangely just sits in my magical cupboard of mystery :)

I'm a little fussy about pocket space and the age old problem of carrying a special deck for ONE trick. However great thinking. A show stopper if you find the right time to perform this. 5-10 min one time set-up. Conclusion-I do not regret this purchase although under used.

Greig
First of all, this is very clever and well thought out. Almost as clever as LOTTO vision :)
Second, it is very easy to do.
Third, I have NEVER done a card trick where the spectator has asked me to look inside the box.
Finally, you can use any force cards you want.
Imagine using the black 8's.
Spectator looks at the prediction card and it is a picture of an 8 ball or just a circle you magically turn into a REAL 8 ball.
Almost forgot....
For those of you that do not like the between 1 and 52, just make it a card at birthday effect which secretly limits it to 2 to 43. After passing the card, you can patter that you could have been born in the month of Jan, Feb, ect showing 11 more cards.
I see SO MUCH POTENTIAL in it!