(Close Window)
Topic: A Christmas Tenyo Contest
I don't know if the Café allows this, but let's give it a shot.

I have an extra brand new mint Tenyo "Magic World" magic set that I am going to give away to someone on the Tenyo section of the Café. My problem is, I can't decide on exactly how to do that. It's easy on The Genii Forum: I run contests there. However, this is not "my house," so if anyone has suggestions about a good way to run a contest here, I'll be happy to hear them.

I'll bear the full cost of shipping the item as well, so let's put our thinking caps on!
Suggestion: The first one who answers to your post should get it.
Any better ideas?
Here is a better idea.
The second responder wins!
The first and third + all those after are runners up.
Ergo, Richard, please pm me for my address.
Thanks & great idea
Let's make a deal Edshern: Would you agree on the third responder? That would be fair...
Taking myself out of the equation, of course…

In the mid-1980s the Tenyo team was featured on the cover of Genii. Dai Vernon referenced the feature in that month’s “The Vernon Touch.” What was the month and year of the issue, and what were the nicknames that he and Larry Jennings gave to Takuya Yoshizawa and Hideo Kato?
That is a great magic set.

Maybe,

Best Tenyo Performance Video.

It would have to be a new video of a Tenyo trick that there is currently no video of.

Stereo already compiled the list of tricks that don't have videos. There are at least 30 of them.

If making a video is too much work then how about best Tenyo joke.
How about the best past Penguin jokes posted. ;)
Thanks in advance for this great idea Richard! I've been on the fence to buy the Magic World set but I own most items in the set and the pretty high shipping cost put me off ... . But I'd love to own a set ;)

I support the idea of making a video of a Tenyo trick which currently has no video available.
Yes a video can be a good idea, It just takes a little time left for people to do that well.
But to allowing for a chance for everyone maybe do not stop to the list of video missing on the blog because it is often unusual and rare tricks. (although obviously it will be a good opportunity to complete the blog).

For a contest There is no lot of possibility :
Either we ask the people to do something : video, drawing, writting...
or asking people to answer a question or several questions, or find specific information...
or they are asked to imagine something related to Tenyo or Genii, as a routine, a tips, a new handling, a good idea of new article for the magazine ...
Hmmmm. The problem is that the winner has to be randomized in some way. So making videos would require me to be a judge: not something I want to do here.

Let's try this: Anyone who wants to enter, just send me an email at moobooks@verizon.net. I will print them all out and fold them up. Then they'll go into a large garbage bag. I'll let someone else reach in the bag and pick out a name.

Sound good?
Sounds good to me
Okay, your email must include your full name, address, phone number, and email address.
I'll take all emails from now until midnight tonight east coast time (USA).

Winner will be announced next Tuesday, January 1, right here.
Thank you for this fun opportunity.
This will be much easier if everyone please follows the instructions in my post.
Name, address, phone number and email address sent to moobooks@verizon.net.
Thanks.
No PMs.
Entries sent without all the specified information will not be eligible.
I do not have this Tenyo magic set in my collection so I try my luck too.
Good luck to all and thank you Richard.
E-mail sent :)
Emails coming in now with all the required information.

Good luck to all of you!
Are you sending out confirmation emails? Stu
Thanks for a fair way to enter and win email sent!
Sent...
Stu, I thought you moved on and turned your back to Tenyo by selling all your tricks??
I have, I have entered on behalf of somebody else who doesn't have internet access!
Will send confirmations now.
I'd be curious to know the total number of participants. Because there seem to be many more people who read the forum than those who write in the Forum.
I've got about 25. That's pretty good odds for those of you who sent me an email! :)
[quote]
On 2012-12-25 01:50, Magiguy wrote:
Taking myself out of the equation, of course…

In the mid-1980s the Tenyo team was featured on the cover of Genii. Dai Vernon referenced the feature in that month’s “The Vernon Touch.” What was the month and year of the issue, and what were the nicknames that he and Larry Jennings gave to Takuya Yoshizawa and Hideo Kato?
[/quote]

November 1986 issue, Computer #1 and Computer #2 because of their great genius for solving problems.
Touché. :)
Plus that issue had 6 full page ads of Tenyo effects... They may be the most ads from one advertiser in a single Magic magazine.

John
[quote]
On 2012-12-26 19:28, J M Talbot wrote:
Plus that issue had 6 full page ads of Tenyo effects... They may be the most ads from one advertiser in a single Magic magazine.

John
[/quote]

I saw that too. I just got the issue from eBay and it came in the mail today. It is my first issue of Genii. I like it. The six pages are for the 1987 line-up which was a great year for Tenyo. The last page is for the Paddle Collection we have discussed here recently.
A little piece of trivia, the Hank Lee Ad looks like it was created on an early Mac and printed on a dot matrix printer. The printing looks very familiar and that was just as Desktop Publishing was breaking.

Also in the Dai Vernon article they mixed up the 2nd and 3rd paragraphs. Something that was easier to mess up before computers.
Richard Kaufman I will help you out here.

If you subscribe to Genii you get online access to all (I think all) past issues including this very special Tenyo Issue and the upcoming issue with Mr. Sugawara.
Yes, subscribers get free access to all 75 years of back issues of Genii, including all the digital versions of the issues from January 2010 onward.
Thanks, John.
Sent it hope its not too late
I'll still take entries until Monday (New Year's Eve Day) even though the deadline is passed. Announce of the winner will be at the time noted.
I'm going to sweeten the pot by giving away TWO of these Magic World sets to two different people.

So get your entries to me. moobooks@verizon.net
Thanks that is great! I have never won anything so this raises the chances so I am on the edge of my seat counting the days. :smoke:

:dice:
Richard
[quote]
On 2012-12-30 00:06, Richard Kaufman wrote:
I'm going to sweeten the pot by giving away TWO of these Magic World sets to two different people.

So get your entries to me. moobooks@verizon.net
[/quote]

That is very generous of you!

I can't wait to see who wins.
Email sent Richard. Thanks so much. No matter what....Happy New Year!

Charlie
Richard

Again, thank you for this fun and generous chance for a great set of magic.

CHRIS
You jamokes have an hour and 12 minutes to send in any last minute entries. Please note the requirements above before sending your entries.

Winners will be chosen and announced tomorrow. I will also note how many people participated.
:bubbly: :dice: :pop:
Printing out all the entries now. Will announce winners within the hour.
:cheering:
There were 25 entrants.

An odd coincidence: both winners are from Ohio!

Congratulations to:

1. Ed Shernoff

2. Greg Oznowich

We will send your Tenyo Magic World sets out by the end of the week.

Happy new year to all of you and my condolences to the losers.
Wahoooooooooooooo!
I never win anything ever. 2013 is off to a great start! Thank you for your generosity Richard, and Happy New Year to you and yours.
Best,
Greg
Congratulations to the winners. This is the second Christmas thanks to you Richard !!

I still think it's a missed opportunity and a little bit disappointing to have organized a contest so boring and not taking advantage of this great opportunity to do something interesting, useful, and above all FUN.

But anyway it was a good idea and a nice gesture with very great prizes, thank you for this nice little moment :o)
Congratulations to the Ohio winners. And thanks Richard for making it easy for everyone to participate.
Congratulations winners!!!.......is there already any review of this kit here in the forum?
I haven't seen a full in-depth review anywhere, though I did write about it in Genii a few years ago. My collection of magic sets used to total over 800, and Magic World is really among the best. Every item is well thought out and has nice touches. And the instruction book, which is fat--like Reader's Digest--describes everything in a way that surpasses almost every other magic set's instructions. The included DVD, and the illustrations in the instruction booklet, allow us non-Japanese speakers to dope out most of the tricks. Even for standard items, the routines are very good, which is important for anyone doing magic.
For the one who never see this magic set :

http://tenyo-magic.blogspot.fr/2010/05/tenyo-magic-world.html
HOLY TOLEDO,
Never gave this contest a second thought after I entered because, well, you know, I never win stuff.
I'm checking my lottery numbers from now on.

THANKS RICHARD, It was very kind of you to do this.

Ed
GOT IT :)
I loved this contest!

[img]http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb343/edshern121/POSTED%20PHOTOS/photo1_zps265782ad.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb343/edshern121/POSTED%20PHOTOS/photo2_zps7cbcbf18.jpg[/img]
Whoa it has keys! Now I am really wishing I would have won one. :)
What is the key effect?
It's Lubor Fiedler's "Krazy Keys." (I think that was the name.) This is a simplified version of the official T-numbered release. The notches on a blank key magically appear.

The routining of everything in the set is very well thought-out. I wish there was an English language instruction booklet.
OK all, here is a question about the Tenyo Magic Set I won here;
Now that I've got it, what do I do with it?
It's too large to put on display, so do I:
1- Open it and play with it?
2- Hermetically shrink wrap it, and store it for 10-20 years?
3- Sell it/trade it for one of the T tricks I need?

Thoughts?

And no, re-contesting it is not an option, sorry.
Open it, watch the DVD, and play with it. Have fun. That's the point. :)
I received mine today. Thank you, thank you, thank you Richard. I literally felt like a kid again when I received my first magic set - Hocus Pocus I believe - followed by my second, which was the Marshall Brodien TV Magic Set. The feeling of looking through the acetate window at the treasures below, and all of the many mysteries that would surely ensue, came back to me. I will play with this. There is no other option. I'm young again.
Problem solved.
I have opened ALL my Tenyo, so why should this be any different.
:)
Gentlemen, I'm glad you have both received your prizes and congratulate you.

It's fun to give stuff away. :)

You have fun, too.
Keys in that set look more like real keys so I didn't think it is Crazy Keys. You sure that is what it is?. I don't like the look of the white plastic, offset head, flat shaft look at all of Crazy Keys so I never got it.

Those keys in that set have a normal looking head, round shaft like a real key and are not white. So I would like to have those for sure. ;)

Richardo
Richard,

Krazy Keys are different because one of the four keys has a mechanical gimmick and the other three are static.

These two keys probably mimic two of the static keys in Krazy Keys where angle of viewing create the effect.

John
Humm angle to the dangle. I didn't know you could get an effect from the viewed angle of the statics keys. Don't have them nor the instructions so I am in the dark. The offset head with the flat shaft has to have something to do with mechanical working I can only assume because it is very out of place esthetically. And then the WHITE plastic just doesn't help the look. Black, grey, copper, anything would be better than white.

Too bad the 2 keys in that contest set aren't available separate I would like to check them out. Or at least like to see a video of what they do. Ed - Wizard Of Oz, that's your Que to make a video of these. ;)
Richard,

I do not know why they offset the head in the Krazy Keys. I think the head could have been centered and a more realistic shape. If they did it that way then they would not be able to put a hole in the middle where the key can attach to a key ring. I think it would have been much better with a more realistic head even if there was no key ring hole.

After closer examination, the two silver keys are similar to one side of the gimmicked key and one of the static keys.

I did a quick image search on Google and found a couple of keys that looks like the Krazy Keys so I guess they are not that "far out."

John

[img]http://www.motovationusa.com/images/MVkey.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.taylorsecurity.com/assets/item/regular/1600_Haworth_Keyblank.jpg[/img]
Haven't gotten to the keys yet (remember, all of the instructions are in Japanese), but I have to tell you...one of the highlights for me are the leaf/lady bug paddles. These are artistically quite wonderful, and handle very well. Fooling myself in the mirror...
Yes but the keys pictured are para centric keys, top one for car ignition / fork lifts ect (not offset from center to one side). Key on the bottom is a Yale file cabinet key that soon after was discontinued because of the offset head and hole being on the side hangs crooked on the keyring worst design ever for a key head on a keyring of other normal keys.

Yale also had that same design on their large door keys at that same time, that is when it really caused the problem so both are long gone but stupid duplicate manufactures still make them but nobody buys them. ;)

Cars keys with a long slot instead of a centered hole cause the same problem, again designed by someone that has no business on the draft board drawing keys.

The Krazy keys are suppose to mimic skeleton door keys none of which were ever designed with a completely offset head with small hole on one side. But they did have a double connected hole that made them hang slightly crooked but was the standard look back then.

Krazy Keys are not normal looking and I have seen a few keys. :)

If a centered hole causes the gimmicked key not to work no hole at all would have been better choice with embossed pattern to detract from having no hole. ;)

A design exactly like the ones in the World Magic Kit with no hole if that has to be would be perfect design it looks like a key.

If someone has a set of these in the world kit with english instructions I would love to see them. Or if you have them and want to sell them even better.

Keyhard
TMI
AMAP ITFA ITA ;)
AMAP ATFA ITA HUH?
As Much As Possible - In The Final Analysis - I Totally Agree :)
WTF?
Wait Till Friday ...
10-4
10-7
10:52 CST
OMG
WTH
ASAP, ESP, ETC,
That's all letter speak I know.
Personally, I abhor the use of acronyms. OK?
AIGHT
So I'm a winner of this awesome magic set from Mr. Kaufman, and I happen to be at the Columbus Ohio Magi-Fest this weekend...and there I see Richard sitting at his Genii Magic Magazine booth. Now as you know Richard is an icon, and knows everyone in the magic community. So while he gets a lot of interested folks to his booth for Genii Magazine, a lot of his visitors are just there to shoot the magical s@@t. It's been this way for years. Yet, I say to myself, "Self, why don't you go up to Mr. Kaufman, introduce yourself, and thank him in person for his generous contest?" And I thank myself for giving myself such excellent advice, and approach Richard's booth. I wait. I wait. Still, there are two gentlemen in front of me showing him photos of their magic collection, and they don't understand the meaning of "brevity."

Finally, they move on, and I think my chances are blown and that Mr. Kaufman's patience would have been pushed to his limits. Still, I move forward, introduce myself, and then I get the unexpected...a smile, a hand shake, and a mind-blowing invitation, "Hey, I've got some things to show you...some rare Tenyo...they're not for sale...but I think you'll like these." He proceeds to quickly gather his valuables, ask for a nearby seller to watch his booth, and summons me to follow him to his room. Of course I follow...

We walk down the generic hotel hallway, looking for his room, and the entire time I'm thinking to myself, "Holy crap, here's this incredible writer, whose authored dozens of magic book classics, taking the time to entertain my humble love of Tenyo. What the fu...?" We arrive at his room, and he struggles to pull out a cardboard box from beneath a suitcase stand. And there my friends, was some T-gold. To name only a few of what I saw...Tenyo T-62 Fantastic, Tenyo T-79 Super Vase A La India, The Penultimate Coin Box Collection (Japanese version), followed by a demonstration of Tenyo T-93 Card Changer, and the Tenyo T-118 Side Track...incredible...and none of which are in my humble collection. So, as you can imagine, I was blown away.

So I tip imaginary hat to you Mr. Kaufman, for taking your time, to give me a time...I will not soon forget. Thank you.
The only thing better than that would have been if it was a hot gal that led you to her room and when she undressed she had a Tenyo rabbit tattooed in a really unique place and when she made a special movement it winked at you.

Actually meeting Richard and sharing his Tenyo enthusiasm with him is much better because there are a lot of hot gals with winking Tenyo rabbit tattoos but only one Richard Kaufman. ;-)

Good Job Richard. That's how you grow a hobby.
It's fun to spend time with people who are enthusiastic about things in which you are also interested.

Glad you enjoyed seeing my loot, Wiz! Sorry that none of them were dupes.
Great story Wizard, kudos Richard for taking the time to do that. I had plans to attend that convention but had to bail due to a work commitment. How was the event overall?

Richard at the rate you are rebuilding the collection this is probably not needed but keep in mind I am sure there are several of us that would ship and loan you missing items for research purposes if needed. Not the same as owning them but an option if needed.

John
I, too, spent some time talking Tenyo with Richard, who gave me a bit of grief for not posting here more often. I thought that Josh and Andi did a really nice job with Magi-Fest - lots of good content, and a chance to schmooze with the Chief Genii!

Mark
I agree Mark. Magi-Fest seems to be back with a vengeance. Good energy, and the lectures had a nice, professional feel to them. Dealer room was a bit cramped, but people seemed to be buying. I know I left with a lighter wallet.
Thanks for the offer, John. There is actually a collector who is little known that I believe has everything, and I might go to his place and do a photo shoot, but that's all still a ways off.

I believe Magi-Fest will be in a different hotel next year, with bigger dealers area.
I think I picked the wrong time to take a break from here (as we can't always control the timing of events in life). There have been many interesitng things going on here.

What a great idea Richard :).

Congrats to the winners and also a thanks to Richard for being so cool.
The post seems to have vanished before I can reply, I don't know why, but I want to say Thank you to Richard to have make a donation on my blog. It really is very nice and makes me well.
Thank you To John Mazza too have who also made a contribution, although he had already participated a lot in the past by sending me photos or information to complete the blog.

[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/27d3c5b3bf8139474db360b.gif/][img]http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/1317/27d3c5b3bf8139474db360b.gif[/img][/url]
[quote]
On 2013-01-29 09:03, stereo wrote:
[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/836/27d3c5b3bf8139474db360b.gif/][img]http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/1317/27d3c5b3bf8139474db360b.gif[/img][/url]
[/quote]

I bet she has a winking Tenyo bunny tattoo. ;-)
[quote]
On 2013-01-29 09:03, stereo wrote:
The post seems to have vanished before I can reply, I don't know why
[/quote]

That is weird, the posts by Stereo, Nicolino, Richard K. and myself has all vanished. Like some kind of magic trick. I wonder if it was a back-up problem or if they deleted it due to the content. ???

I think Nicolino posted something like "Has no one pushed the donate button?"

And then Stereo posted something like "Just one push of the button so far, I have to thank that person."

Then Richard posted something like "Well I can take care of that right now."

And then I posted something like "I added my two cents. I think it would be good if all sellers contributed."

And then I posted something like "I hesitate to use the phrase that I coined here last year, but the vibe is very good here lately. This is fun."

And I posted a new graphic with a new phrase.

[img]http://www.funstuffonly.com/temp/goodvibe.jpg[/img]
Now that I look back at my posts I see that more than a few were lost. There must have been a problem and then they restored from the last back-up which didn't have the most recent posts.
I think an entire topic is missing. Wasn't there a topic about Canadian Seller Selling Off in Lots.

Maybe that was deleted because of the use of the "E-site" word.

Are we not allowed to use the "E-site" word?

I usually try to say the big auctions site, but sometimes I forget.

Maybe there were a lot of occurrences of the "E-site" word and that set off a flag.

????
Why would anyone care if we talk about Ebay??
I am not sure if that is so that we can't mention the "E-site", I may be thinking of a slot car board I used to frequent.

I know people use "the big auction site" and that is more to type.

Maybe they want us to use the Buy/Sell/Trade sections and the big auction site competes with that.

Maybe I am totally wrong on this.

I am not sure.

?????
[quote]
On 2013-01-28 23:27, Richard Kaufman wrote:
There is actually a collector who is little known that I believe has everything, and I might go to his place and do a photo shoot, but that's all still a ways off.
[/quote]

Richard K.

Does this collector you speak of have the Break Away Fan and Magic Coaster? I don't know of anyone who has them. There is barely one tiny picture of each on Stereo's site.

John
It does seem as if Ebay is considered evil here.
Almost no body uses the word Ebay...... Till now !

Ebay Ebay Ebay EBAY EBAY EBAY

MUWAHAHA :firedevil:
LOL
Oh boy, Ed it was nice knowing you.

I was just looking at: A few rules to remember
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=17&forum=39&0
excerpt: "No matter what forum is used, absolutely No posts advertising or referencing items (whether with or without links) to auction sites such as Ebay (the only exception would be linking to an auction site which is currently a Café sponsor and has a banner on our website). "

And I also looked at: Some posting guidelines
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=4408&forum=39&0
excerpt: "If you're tempted to: Post a funny message... Please think twice... These posts will be edited or deleted with no questions asked

So you are a double offender with your post above and you will be banished to never never land. ;-)

I will be going right after you, it seems that I have broken at least half of the rules.

But seriously, looking at these two topics will give you a guideline of what they expect from us as members of this great free forum.
Welcome to The Communistic Café do what your told and shut up! Any infringements of our socialistic rules you will be truncated no questions asked!

So to stay within the confines of insane regulations everyone contact The Big Auction Site and invite and encourage them to become a sponsor with the biggest banner ever seen.

Now no more funny stuff you clowns knock it off now!
I've posted links to ebay auctions here and it has never seemed to be a problem. What the rules seem designed to avoid is someone who is selling stuff on ebay posting the links here, or coming on here under a different name so we don't know he or she is the seller and shilling stuff. I don't that's happened in our little group.
[quote]
On 2013-01-28 23:27, Richard Kaufman wrote:
There is actually a collector who is little known that I believe has everything, and I might go to his place and do a photo shoot, but that's all still a ways off.
[/quote]

Richard K.

Does this collector you speak of have the Break Away Fan and Magic Coaster? I don't know of anyone who has them. There is barely one tiny picture of each on Stereo's site.

John
Not sure about that. His collection, in sheer size, dwarfs anything I've ever seen.
[quote]
On 2013-01-30 23:42, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Not sure about that. His collection, in sheer size, dwarfs anything I've ever seen.
[/quote]

Wow it must be cool. How does he present/store it?
It's all out on display.
Gulp.