(Close Window)
Topic: Anima by Michel & Vernet Magic
Message: Posted by: Leo Reynolds Jr (Jan 4, 2013 08:40PM)
Anima by Michel & Vernet Magic anyone have a review on this?


Best
Leo Jr
Message: Posted by: Jon Blakeney (Jan 4, 2013 11:02PM)
It shure caught my eye.
Message: Posted by: BaryBazz (Jan 10, 2013 07:49AM)
Looks very good indeed , we need a review.

Barry
Message: Posted by: Jon Blakeney (Jan 10, 2013 05:51PM)
Anybody?
Message: Posted by: kiketron (Jan 13, 2013 05:34AM)
Anima by Vernet magic

The description-

The haunted deck is a classic effect and it has been updated to our times by Michel
The extra bonus effect with the matchbox shows a good and different use of the gimmick

The gimmick

The gimmick is a single gimmick that is very sturdy,common, innocent looking and it should last you a long time.
It is very well hidden inside a common object (supplied)that goes to your pocket and the "working part" can be very well concealed inside your hand as it is clear

The DVD explains very well the handling of this classic effect step by step and how to avoid problems and also how to end completly clean.

An effect that you will carry each day inside your pocket

It comes with a matchbox already prepared for the 2nd effect, but it is very easy to prepare further matchboxes in seconds with a bit of r****r c***nt
At the end the matchbox is completly examinable
The deck can be borrowed and the preparation happens in front of espectators view


I do recommend this effect but as it use to happen, the price is a bit high for what you recieve.
The real value of this effect is Michel´s handling

Thanks,
kiketron
Message: Posted by: Blindside785 (Jan 13, 2013 06:06AM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-13 06:34, kiketron wrote:
Anima by Vernet magic

The description-

The haunted deck is a classic effect and it has been updated to our times by Michel
The extra bonus effect with the matchbox shows a good and different use of the gimmick

The gimmick

The gimmick is a single gimmick that is very sturdy,common, innocent looking and it should last you a long time.
It is very well hidden inside a common object (supplied)that goes to your pocket and the "working part" can be very well concealed inside your hand as it is clear

The DVD explains very well the handling of this classic effect step by step and how to avoid problems and also how to end completly clean.

An effect that you will carry each day inside your pocket

It comes with a matchbox already prepared for the 2nd effect, but it is very easy to prepare further matchboxes in seconds with a bit of r****r c***nt
At the end the matchbox is completly examinable
The deck can be borrowed and the preparation happens in front of espectators view


I do recommend this effect but as it use to happen, the price is a bit high for what you recieve.
The real value of this effect is Michel´s handling

Thanks,
kiketron
[/quote]
Thanks for butting in :)
Is this something that is workable for everyday use? Is it sturdy?
Message: Posted by: kiketron (Jan 13, 2013 08:17AM)
Yes it is very sturdy, easy to repair in case of need to repair it and very workable

I can imagine other effects using the same gimmick
Message: Posted by: kiketron (Jan 13, 2013 03:27PM)
Gimmick is disguised as a garage control remote as said in other thread about anima
Message: Posted by: dfield (Jan 14, 2013 01:17PM)
Could you post the link to the other forum? I am very interested in this product. The fact that it takes the animation of the classic haunted deck sparks my interest
Message: Posted by: ncsteve (Jan 14, 2013 02:13PM)
Anima is supposed to be on the next Wizard Product review,
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=494428&forum=218
Message: Posted by: ncsteve (Jan 16, 2013 07:41AM)
It made the worker of the week,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=4wu0FGgHVl8
Message: Posted by: drorwis (Jan 17, 2013 01:42AM)
Does anybody know, if you have any control over the speed
of the cut, or it's exactly the same speed every time you perform?
Message: Posted by: JanForster (Jan 17, 2013 01:52AM)
Depends from the batteries... Jan
Message: Posted by: drorwis (Jan 17, 2013 04:01AM)
Thanks Jan. Maybe it's just me, but the movement seems a bit too
"mechanical" and fast. It seems to diminish a bit from the "haunted"
aspect of the effect.
Message: Posted by: NicholasD (Jan 17, 2013 09:06AM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-17 05:01, drorwis wrote:
Thanks Jan. Maybe it's just me, but the movement seems a bit too
"mechanical" and fast. It seems to diminish a bit from the "haunted"
aspect of the effect.
[/quote]

I think he's kidding about the batteries.
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Jan 17, 2013 09:13AM)
Ready for an honest review?
------------------------------------------

OH MY GOD. What have I done. I've just spent £65 on yet another piece of plastic on a thread reel. I feel sick.... really sick.....

For this amount of money, I was expecting something high-tech... something mechanical, something with batteries..., I don't know, a remote control... something flash. What I've actually got is something that must have cost £3 to make... There is absolutely NOTHING new here, nothing inventive - NOTHING high tech - NOTHING to justify the whopping price tag on this thing. HOW ON EARTH IS THIS £65?>??????? It should be £25 MAX.... I have been so stupid.... so so stupid... so naive.

The fact that the gimmick looks like a remote control is totally THE OPPOSITE. It might be disguised as a remote, but there is nothing remote, or control abount it. This is a glorified, generic t***** r***.... I'm just absolutely gutted by the price, and what you get.....! Here I was thinking HAUNTED was expensive for what you get... this has got to be the most unfair price tag ever, and yes, I was a total suck to fall for it.

I've been 'playing' with it for 2 hours, already got it down to a satisfactory level, but it's nothing special at all. And no, you cannot control the speed... In fact, the whole thing seems very clumsy... and, it is far, far too easy to flash the gimmick. AGAIN, maybe this takes practice, but I am posting this review based on just 2 hours. Like it or leave it. The DVD is quite annoying, there is nowhere near enough explanation on the moves, and, they are only from one angle facing the camera - so you end up having to do THE OPPOSITE....

As for the ad copy.... a bit misleading. It sates NO SET UP - what exactly classifies as 'no set up'?? By no set up - they obviously mean -NO PRE SET UP to the deck before the audience tough it... you still have to SET IT UP in your hands as you do the trick under a little misdirection (but obviously there is always something, si I'm probably being picky here) - Next... they state "you'll not be hooked up" - What the?? Not hooked up? I think having a big thread reel coming out of your pocket and wrapped around the deck 50 times is a little hooked up to me!? LOL OKAY, not hooked up all day walking around, fair enough, I get it...

Sorry if I sound so bitter. It's just I've spent £70 inc postage and packaging for an affect that shouldn't cost ANY MORE than £20. When items are priced up and over the £45 mark... you really expect something a bit special - this is NOT IT. Seriously... just another generic thread reel with some spanish guy's handling and 'hook up'. 65 QUID!! OH MY GOD, I could have bought FOB and SkyCap for that much!!

The worst thing is, because I've spent so much on this, I HAVE TO USE IT NOW, I must force myself to use it and get something from it. As for Dave and Craig's review... possibly it could be a 'worker' if the price tag was 1/3 of what it is... but for 65 quid - I just cannot, cannot recommend this to anyone.

===
Final words:
Anima... more like Enema....
.................................. better put somewhere else.
Message: Posted by: Blindside785 (Jan 17, 2013 09:31AM)
This is one of those things where it seems you are mad that it's not real magic.

Does it achieve the effect practically?

Does it look like as it does in the demo?

Has it broken yet?

If it works, it works. You were expecting something high tech, it doesn't need to be.
Message: Posted by: ncsteve (Jan 17, 2013 09:47AM)
Magic Mark. If you paid 65 pounds for this at least you can learn that you need to check prices at other dealers before buying. Penquin has this for $60 (about 37 pounds).
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Jan 17, 2013 09:59AM)
Blindside,

I'm not mad it's not real magic, I'm made because I paid way over the odds for what is, actually, a substandard effect and method.

Does it achieve the effect practically?
I don't think it does! The new hook up just creates more problems, and, the gimmick inside the deck is clumsy, constantly leaking, flashing, and, never truly hidden on the deck sides.

Does it look like as it does in the demo?
Yes, but will not come out smoothly as seen everytime as it is temperamental.

Has it broken yet?
Not yet, but we all know that this type of material does... and will....

EFFECT ASIDE, worker aside, Blindside, do you think anyone should buy this trick for over £40?



ncSteve... Yeh, you are correct, but I live in England and waiting 2 weeks for worldwide delivery, and paying a lot more is frustrating.... there was nowhere in England selling it for less than WMS. Also, I like to support my local dealer... I am loyal to them.
Message: Posted by: JanForster (Jan 17, 2013 12:13PM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-17 10:06, NicholasD wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-01-17 05:01, drorwis wrote:
Thanks Jan. Maybe it's just me, but the movement seems a bit too
"mechanical" and fast. It seems to diminish a bit from the "haunted"
aspect of the effect.
[/quote]

I think he's kidding about the batteries.
[/quote]

:)
Message: Posted by: Fire Starter (Jan 17, 2013 12:15PM)
I do feel for you and I have myself at times brought a load of old crap from seeing ads ,or when I have got the certain item it's just tacky made and does not last,any different type of industry other then magic you would of proberly got your money back, so keep yout chin up and I know 65 quid is a lot of notes to of wasted and I hope your next magic purchase is MAGIC ,thanks for the honest reveiw,all the best
Message: Posted by: emyers99 (Jan 17, 2013 12:23PM)
If anyone truly wants this thing, Hocus has it as a discountable item. So you can get it for 30-35% off retail if you order during one of Hocus' bi-weekly sales. Ironically, when I saw it was discountable, I had a feeling it wouldn't be any good because Hocus never discounts the hot new items.
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Jan 17, 2013 12:39PM)
Thank you for all your support guys, and feeling my pain.

Looks like I've had to take one for the team on this one......
Message: Posted by: korttihai_82 (Jan 17, 2013 01:32PM)
Nice to see honest review. I was already wondering what made it so expensive since it pretty much looked like identical to Al Baker original version... With perhaps Michael Close/Ed Marlo Hook up to deck... I keep doing spooked thank you. Still the best Haunted deck in the world (and yes, I have tried 99% of em).

J-M
Message: Posted by: TheGreatRaymondo (Jan 17, 2013 02:21PM)
Magicmark,
Thanks for a genuine review. I was very close to parting with my cash on this one - obviously not now!
I perfom 'Chill' by Tom Wright and I'll think I'll stick with it after reading your experiences.
I agree £65 for what you describe is a complete and total rip off! These people need to be exposed.
Message: Posted by: NicholasD (Jan 17, 2013 02:53PM)
I think Vernet may have put this out a few years ago under the name Phantom Pack. It sold for around $30 or $35. The gimmkick was housed in a little leather case and there was no DVD with it.
Message: Posted by: ncsteve (Jan 17, 2013 03:04PM)
The Phantom Deck used an ITR, from what I've read this new version requires batteries.
Message: Posted by: NicholasD (Jan 17, 2013 03:29PM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-17 16:04, ncsteve wrote:
The Phantom Deck used an ITR, from what I've read this new version requires batteries.
[/quote]

That's incorrect. Everything was the same except the housing. Neither item uses batteries.
Message: Posted by: JackMagic (Jan 17, 2013 04:21PM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-17 02:52, JanForster wrote:
Depends from the batteries... Jan
[/quote]

Very Helpful - Not !

Wasting £60 on Junk is not a laughing matter
so if you can't post a helpful comment you would
be advised to keep it buttoned !

The advertising is already misleading the last thing
we need is someone else trying to be funny
Message: Posted by: drorwis (Jan 17, 2013 04:30PM)
Batteries aside... ;-) magic mark just saved me some money...
I was really on the fence with this, I thought the movement
was not as "haunted" looking as, for instance, peter eggink's haunted 2.0
(kinda slow and creepy), but was under the impression (maybe hope) that
there is something really new about the method that would make this worthwhile.
guess not, money saved.
I really understand where your coming from mark, as my "anima" is called "tarantula"...
Message: Posted by: Michael Peterson (Jan 18, 2013 01:39AM)
Anima/phantom deck both use same hook up to the deck as the haunted deck in Bertram on sleight of hand (no reel).


Mike
Message: Posted by: JanForster (Jan 18, 2013 01:51AM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-17 17:21, JackMagic wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-01-17 02:52, JanForster wrote:
Depends from the batteries... Jan
[/quote]

Very Helpful - Not !

Wasting £60 on Junk is not a laughing matter
so if you can't post a helpful comment you would
be advised to keep it buttoned !

The advertising is already misleading the last thing
we need is someone else trying to be funny
[/quote]
Sorry, you are correct... I was just wondering what people do believe, the video indicates enough to see that this is nothing new. I do not wonder to hear it is crap. Some knowledge by reading more books and buying less tricks would save many people a lot of money. It is like in our entire life, education matters. Jan
Message: Posted by: drorwis (Jan 18, 2013 05:21AM)
Some of us jan are not working magicians but hobbysts.
we would like to perform an occasional trick and that's about it.
Therefore we usually just buy tricks without knowing the complete
history of the use of ITR or the origins of the haunted deck.
remind me to ask you next time you edit your home video on your pc
if your'e familiar with the works of Eisenstein, podovkin or maybe dziga vertov...
I don't think that even someone who performs occasinally for friends, deserves
an overpriced gimmick.
we hobbysts tend to sometime believe the adds, and we don't all
have the tools to judge from the trailer that there is nothing new here.
If, as you say, you could tell that it's no good or that there is nothing
new here, how about posting your thoughts on that, rather than make condescending
and cynical remarks?
I, for one, would appreciate it a lot more.
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Jan 18, 2013 06:28AM)
WELL SAID Drorwis! Couldn't have said it better.
Message: Posted by: Romsmail (Jan 18, 2013 06:41AM)
Just recieved it two days ago. Mine in FOR SALE on E---. Not my thing.
Message: Posted by: JanForster (Jan 18, 2013 06:47AM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-18 06:21, drorwis wrote:
Some of us jan are not working magicians but hobbysts.
we would like to perform an occasional trick and that's about it.
Therefore we usually just buy tricks without knowing the complete
history of the use of ITR or the origins of the haunted deck.
remind me to ask you next time you edit your home video on your pc
if your'e familiar with the works of Eisenstein, podovkin or maybe dziga vertov...
I don't think that even someone who performs occasinally for friends, deserves
an overpriced gimmick.
we hobbysts tend to sometime believe the adds, and we don't all
have the tools to judge from the trailer that there is nothing new here.
If, as you say, you could tell that it's no good or that there is nothing
new here, how about posting your thoughts on that, rather than make condescending
and cynical remarks?
I, for one, would appreciate it a lot more.
[/quote]
I get your point and said sorry... Besides that there are three threads running here in the Café, I did write it in one of the threads not really between the lines. As I visit more forums than this one I do sometimes forget where I wrote what. In a German forum I did warn very precisely. Jan
Message: Posted by: Roger Kelly (Jan 18, 2013 08:15AM)
Why are people having a go at poor ol' Jan?!! For heavens sake guys (well, those of whom this is obviously aimed at) [b]lighten up[/b] in the miserable queue and grab yourself a sense of humour on the way out.
Message: Posted by: JanForster (Jan 18, 2013 09:01AM)
Thanks, Roger :)
And to be honest, I couldn't imagine anybody could believe in batteries, it's not a Dream Liner, it' s a pull... Jan
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Jan 18, 2013 09:54AM)
Wasn't the batteries joke, I found that funny. Just a tad patronising in some other posts... nevermind, not important.
Message: Posted by: Waterloophai (Jan 18, 2013 11:52AM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-18 10:54, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
Wasn't the batteries joke, I found that funny. Just a tad patronising in some other posts... nevermind, not important.
[/quote]
Jan does not "patronize". If you are a little longer on this forum, you will find out that he is one of the members with very wise tips, advices and ideas. You will find out that you can learn a lot of him. (if you want to)

And if I may add:
Some people give percentages as a rating. Why not me?
Concerning the experience in magic:
Dave + Craig together = 2%
Jan = 98%

That's only my opinion :)
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Jan 18, 2013 01:24PM)
OKAY!!!!!
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Jan 18, 2013 01:26PM)
P.s. Why didn't Jan give his 98 percent accurate opinion on this then early on? (I might have learned something!!!)
Message: Posted by: Waterloophai (Jan 18, 2013 01:31PM)
Not everyone feel the urge to give his opinion on every (crap)trick that comes out every 30 seconds of the day.
Message: Posted by: Bill Hegbli (Jan 18, 2013 02:02PM)
It does not look like a "crap trick" to me. It is a very poor demonstrations, as I read many of the posts on reviews, that is exactly what everyone wants. A lousy demo so you can tell the working of the trick. That is exactly what you received.

This one card haunted card effect was created some 30 years ago. Everyone at the time went bonkers over it just because the deck could be handed out or used in another un-gaffed deck trick. If memory serves me correct, it was Eugene Burger that come up with the release of the gimmick from the deck.

I read some complaints that this version is not worth the price. The remote key fob is certainly worth the price. A Ring To Key fob is currently selling for double the asking price of this gimmick. The retractable gimmick is a very good idea to this trick.

The original Haunted Deck was the cutting of 3 cards, not just one. It was also best performed standing with onlookers standing as well.

Vernet's version is workable if performed correctly, if it can't be performed standing, then it is useless to anyone. A lot also has more to do with the initial setup of the gimmick with the deck. If one cannot begin the trick easily, then why bother.

I did not read anything about if the remote device worked as it should. If it does, then it is worth the price, as I have handled several IT reels that don't get off their 1st use.
Message: Posted by: JanForster (Jan 18, 2013 03:08PM)
Yes, Eugene Burger worked on it long time ago, taking Al Bakers system, which is far older, and improved it. While you can not easily use a borrowed deck it is an ordinary deck which you can use before and after, and you can hand it out. You can "produce" everything necessary by yourself, spending only cents or pennies. I have seen Eugene perform it in Vienna around 20 years ago. Then it got my attention and interest. Jan
Message: Posted by: J M Talbot (Jan 18, 2013 05:56PM)
I purchased this about 10 years ago when it was released as Phantom Deck. I have used it quite often in walk around and have found it to be a very workable method for this effect. It is pretty bullet proof (at least the old version is), relatively easy to do, no lighting restrictions, uses a regular deck, can be repeated, ends totally clean. I have stated on older threads on haunted decks it was one of my favorite methods (and I have tried most of them). Was actually a little disappointed when it was re-released as hardly anyone knew about. However with some of these extreme negative reviews I guess I have nothing to worry about. :)

John
Message: Posted by: magicinsight (Jan 18, 2013 07:11PM)
Received it today and I like it. The r..l is well made and smooth. The fact that it is designed like a car remote is a plus. If you need for any reason to take it out of your pocket or to empty your pocket, it will go unnoticed. Also, the size is important as it acts like an anchor in your pocket. The DVD is als owell made and has different live performances and complete explanations. IT also comes with a matchbox taht is used for the animated matchbox routien which is performed and also explained. I am glad I purchased it and would recommend it.

As a side note, I am surprised that so many people got so excited and upset as a result of one negative review by someone who only has 25 posts. I am not in anyway demaning the value of that person's opinion. Whether a person has 1 post or 1,000 posts, that person's opinion should be respected and valued and considered. But the weight of consideration given should be measured to some degree based upon the person's previous participation as a reviewer and the person's knowledge and credibility. I think thsi is a well designed gimmick which does the job it is meant to do. The dvd is professionally made and the matchbox and matchbox routine is an added feature giving it added value. I got it based upon it receiving worker of the week. I am glad I purchased it and did not rely soley on one person's negative review not to get it. I am not dissapointed in it. I would recommend it but again that is my opinion and others may differ.

Best wishes,
Michael
Message: Posted by: bunkyhenry (Jan 18, 2013 09:20PM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-18 06:21, drorwis wrote:
Some of us jan are not working magicians but hobbysts.
we would like to perform an occasional trick and that's about it.
Therefore we usually just buy tricks without knowing the complete
history of the use of ITR or the origins of the haunted deck.
remind me to ask you next time you edit your home video on your pc
if your'e familiar with the works of Eisenstein, podovkin or maybe dziga vertov...
I don't think that even someone who performs occasinally for friends, deserves
an overpriced gimmick.
we hobbysts tend to sometime believe the adds, and we don't all
have the tools to judge from the trailer that there is nothing new here.
If, as you say, you could tell that it's no good or that there is nothing
new here, how about posting your thoughts on that, rather than make condescending
and cynical remarks?
I, for one, would appreciate it a lot more.
[/quote]

I do not think Jan's remark was either condescending or cynical. Yours, however was rather aggressive and arrogant for a person with 25 posts!
Message: Posted by: Jamie Ferguson (Jan 19, 2013 02:07AM)
Magicmarworldwide2 and drorwis are two relatively new members who are trying to make a name for themselves here.

I for one won't be paying too much attention to what either one says for the time being. However, let's see how they develop as they involve themselves in Café discussion proper.

Jan obviously made a joke about the prop having batteries. Anyone who took his point seriously really should take a look at themselves before criticising him.
Message: Posted by: JanForster (Jan 19, 2013 03:19AM)
Yes and thanks, but now please let us go back to the topic :). Jan
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Jan 19, 2013 08:17AM)
Hey guys,

I am not trying to make a name for myself. Jamie, you'll be sad to hear my review had no alterior motive, was not written to get attention, spark an argument or anger people. Instead, it was my personal and honest review based on the product I'd bought and my experience in magic. Yes it was sensationalist, but that's what I am like as a person.... I knew this would happen on here, that's why I stated in big bold letters THIS IS JUST MY OPINION - I DON'T LIKE IT!!!!!!!. It's ironic how, people ask for reviews of a product, and when you give one it receives so much 'bad press'. I've noticed though, it's only a few people like the narrow minded Jamie Ferguson who try to stir up trouble by calling me out... the majority of people are actually really respectful.

AT THE END OF THE DAY, I know the truth about this product because I've bought it. And, I feel *** warm inside knowing I've SAVED a load of GOOD PEOPLE a lot of wasted money!!!!! I will continue to say how it is and give *** honest review on everything I buy. IF PEOPLE want to listen to one review - MAGICMARKWORLDWIDE2 and make their decision, that's up to them!

Personally, I know my review was, *** spot on. I wish Jamie Ferguson would buy this and give us his opinion before calling me out :)


OH, and for the record.................. nope, I AM NOT a new member. I have been a regular member of the Café for 2 years. My previous accounts - I forgot the passwords and got locked out. Why do you think I've got a 2 on the end of my name huh? Yep, there was a MAGICMARKWORLDWIDE and a MAGICMARKWORLDWIDE1 before me..... :)


SO BLAMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
Message: Posted by: tomsk192 (Jan 19, 2013 08:32AM)
^ :thumbsup:
Message: Posted by: Roger Kelly (Jan 19, 2013 09:18AM)
Mark mate - you've no need to justify yourself to me. Your long membership here, under any guise, will remind you of some of the outright tools in here that we have to put up with.

People who judge others on their post-count or length of membership want shooting!

Relaaaax buddy!
Message: Posted by: Jamie Ferguson (Jan 19, 2013 09:18AM)
Attacking other Café members demonstrates a level of maturity that won't garner much respect I'm afraid magicmarkworldwide2. Let's hope future posts show a bit more respect to long standing members who have contributed much here.

Now let's do as Jan suggests and get back on topic please.
Message: Posted by: drorwis (Jan 19, 2013 09:32AM)
If you take a look at my initial "batteries" reaction, you can tell
I wasn't very upset with it, as my reaction was "batteries aside ;-)".
what bothered me was Jan's response that added "Some knowledge by reading
more books and buying less tricks would save many people a lot of money".
while the intention might be helpful, it came across to me as a little
condesending, as there is a a thing as a hobbyst. hobbyst just buys an
occasional trick and it is a legitimate practice.if you either a hobbyst
or just starting you way in the magic world, you know very little as for
the working of a lot of effects out there. still I don't think that the
right way of helping you is making fun of your little knowledge, and
I don't think remarks like: "Anyone who took his point seriously really
should take a look at themselves before criticising him" is of any help.
I don't see why I should take a look at myself for not having the knowledge
that a more experienced magician has.
I beleive that Jan understood the point I as making, so he apologized, which was very
big of him, and that's it.
Jan, if my remarke came across as very aggresive, I do appologize for that,
I do hope to learn from your experience in the future.
Message: Posted by: Jamie Ferguson (Jan 19, 2013 09:40AM)
Great post drorwis.

magicmarkworldwide2 could learn a lot from you.
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Jan 19, 2013 10:20AM)
I might not be the most experienced, or longest serving poster here.... but one thing I do know....
...Nobody likes Jamie Ferguson.
Message: Posted by: Jamie Ferguson (Jan 19, 2013 10:53AM)
I will rise above personal attacks from newbies to get this thread back on topic as originally requested by Jan.

Here goes.

Page 97 of the Bertram book contains he exact same method as is being offered here. The book is 2/3 of the price and rather than teaching you tricks will teach you magic, a lot of magic.

The lesson here is to invest in books not to buy every new trick that promises the earth.

Unfortunately, I doubt many will take my advice in the quest for instant gratification promised by the latest and greatest.
Message: Posted by: tomsk192 (Jan 19, 2013 11:09AM)
Yes, real secrets are often found buried in books, not in Real Secrets and suchlike. :)
Message: Posted by: Jamie Ferguson (Jan 19, 2013 11:20AM)
Real Secrets material actually makes for good bookmarks. So the two are complementary.

Now back to the topic at hand - the merits and demerits of Anima.
Message: Posted by: Roger Kelly (Jan 19, 2013 11:40AM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-19 11:20, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
I might not be the most experienced, or longest serving poster here.... but one thing I do know....
...Nobody likes Jamie Ferguson.
[/quote]

Oh dear!!

There I was trying my best to boost your credibility factor and you come out with something like that!

Credibility gone in the press off the submit button.

Nowt wrong with Jamie's views in here! Good source for debate.

Grow a pair!
Message: Posted by: tomsk192 (Jan 19, 2013 12:01PM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-19 12:20, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
Real Secrets material actually makes for good bookmarks. So the two are complementary.

Now back to the topic at hand - the merits and demerits of Anima.
[/quote]

Nice! :D
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Jan 19, 2013 12:16PM)
Ahh come on Rog, it was only a light hearted observation! And he was asking for it... come on ;) He was accusing me of all sorts, unfairly.

Don't regret boosting my credibility, you were right to, and right what you said.

Anyway, back to the topic....
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Jan 19, 2013 12:17PM)
TRUE THOUGH! I've noticed nobody likes him!

;)
Message: Posted by: tomsk192 (Jan 19, 2013 12:43PM)
I like him, actually. But I also liked your honestly given review, keep 'em coming.
Message: Posted by: Roger Kelly (Jan 19, 2013 01:04PM)
Ah fair enough. Shoulda popped in a smilie possibly?

I enjoy his posts too. So that's not quite nobody likes him.
Message: Posted by: lunatik (Jan 19, 2013 06:01PM)
The guy who gave the bad review didn't like that fact that it wasnt' hi-tech and that he might have to actually 'practice' it AND he stated that it was a "substandard effect".....that alone made me completely disregard his review, he sounds like a hobbyist that only likes self working tricks with no real effort on his end to have a miracle. Any magician worth his salt will put in time into the effect. I may pick this up at some point!
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Jan 19, 2013 06:22PM)
Nope Lunatik... The guy that gave the bad review didn't like it because it was massively overpriced for what you get and the advettising was misleading. Nothing to do with the fact it requires practice as the method IS actually almost self working and requires little skill and no practically ZERO sleight of hand. If you read his post with your eyes open he doesn't complain for one second about the difficulty level of the trick. Zzzzz.
Message: Posted by: lunatik (Jan 19, 2013 06:45PM)
Ummmm, no mark. re-read his review. you completely missed all of his other major complaints. Also, I wonder why he even bought it when he said it was a "substandard effect"? Who in their right mind would perform a substandard effect? Odd that you only recently joined the Café and every single post of yours is on the Anima thread....
Message: Posted by: Mark8infiniti (Jan 20, 2013 07:39AM)
Ummmmmmm, no lunatic. re-read his review, you've completely put words in his mouth. In your previous post, you said he complains about the difficulty and having to practice?? Where is that??? Where does it say that?? ???? Huh?? And yes, it stated a 'substandard' effect AND METHOD FOR the COST!!! FOR THE COST!! His only 'reel' complaint is the cost, and false advertising! You don't even own the trick yet you're claiming my review is rubbish...... Roger Kelly is right, there are some real tools on here, just out to put other magicians down and hang off every word they say... Just like people do with every word Dave and Craig say - nobody can win!

And for the last time, I am not a new member of the Café. Why do you think there is a 2 at the end of my name? There was a Magicwmarkworldwide and a magicmarkworldwide1 before this one.... passwords got lost and forgotten. And anyway, how narrow minded is it to completely disregard someone's post because they are new members? And have less than 1000 posts? I hope you do waste your money on Anima, you deserve it!
Message: Posted by: Jamie Ferguson (Jan 20, 2013 09:48AM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-20 08:39, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
I hope you do waste your money on Anima, you deserve it!
[/quote]
Here's a book you might find helpful... :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0091906814
Message: Posted by: ncsteve (Jan 20, 2013 10:21AM)
I'm interested in this effect but I lost interest in this drama many posts ago. This sniping back & forth has gone on for
more than 2 pages. I'm sure I'm not the only member that would like to see one side finally have the good sense to just
let this drop. A quote from Twain comes to mind:
“Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference” ;-)
Message: Posted by: JanForster (Jan 20, 2013 03:03PM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-20 10:48, Jamie Ferguson wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-01-20 08:39, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
I hope you do waste your money on Anima, you deserve it!
[/quote]
Here's a book you might find helpful... :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Win-Friends-Influence-People/dp/0091906814
[/quote]

Good advice. May I add one book more:
http://www.amazon.com/Win-the-Crowd-ebook/dp/B000N2HD3W/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1358715655&sr=8-2&keywords=Win+the+Crowd+Steve+Cohen
Jan
Message: Posted by: mndude (Jan 24, 2013 01:43PM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-17 10:13, magicmarkworldwide2 wrote:
Ready for an honest review?
------------------------------------------

OH MY GOD. What have I done. I've just spent £65 on yet another piece of plastic on a thread reel. I feel sick.... really sick.....

For this amount of money, I was expecting something high-tech... something mechanical, something with batteries..., I don't know, a remote control... something flash. What I've actually got is something that must have cost £3 to make... There is absolutely NOTHING new here, nothing inventive - NOTHING high tech - NOTHING to justify the whopping price tag on this thing. HOW ON EARTH IS THIS £65?>??????? It should be £25 MAX.... I have been so stupid.... so so stupid... so naive.

The fact that the gimmick looks like a remote control is totally THE OPPOSITE. It might be disguised as a remote, but there is nothing remote, or control abount it. This is a glorified, generic t***** r***.... I'm just absolutely gutted by the price, and what you get.....! Here I was thinking HAUNTED was expensive for what you get... this has got to be the most unfair price tag ever, and yes, I was a total suck to fall for it.

I've been 'playing' with it for 2 hours, already got it down to a satisfactory level, but it's nothing special at all. And no, you cannot control the speed... In fact, the whole thing seems very clumsy... and, it is far, far too easy to flash the gimmick. AGAIN, maybe this takes practice, but I am posting this review based on just 2 hours. Like it or leave it. The DVD is quite annoying, there is nowhere near enough explanation on the moves, and, they are only from one angle facing the camera - so you end up having to do THE OPPOSITE....

As for the ad copy.... a bit misleading. It sates NO SET UP - what exactly classifies as 'no set up'?? By no set up - they obviously mean -NO PRE SET UP to the deck before the audience tough it... you still have to SET IT UP in your hands as you do the trick under a little misdirection (but obviously there is always something, si I'm probably being picky here) - Next... they state "you'll not be hooked up" - What the?? Not hooked up? I think having a big thread reel coming out of your pocket and wrapped around the deck 50 times is a little hooked up to me!? LOL OKAY, not hooked up all day walking around, fair enough, I get it...

Sorry if I sound so bitter. It's just I've spent £70 inc postage and packaging for an affect that shouldn't cost ANY MORE than £20. When items are priced up and over the £45 mark... you really expect something a bit special - this is NOT IT. Seriously... just another generic thread reel with some spanish guy's handling and 'hook up'. 65 QUID!! OH MY GOD, I could have bought FOB and SkyCap for that much!!

The worst thing is, because I've spent so much on this, I HAVE TO USE IT NOW, I must force myself to use it and get something from it. As for Dave and Craig's review... possibly it could be a 'worker' if the price tag was 1/3 of what it is... but for 65 quid - I just cannot, cannot recommend this to anyone.

===
Final words:
Anima... more like Enema....
.................................. better put somewhere else.
[/quote]

LOL! This is the funniest review I've read yet!
Message: Posted by: fyi2 (Jan 25, 2013 03:20PM)
Anima... Any one else got a review?
Message: Posted by: bobgill (Jan 29, 2013 08:19AM)
Whilst not as frustrated as the "Oh my God what have I done..." guy, Anima did disappoint when first opened. It is by no means a new method to accomplish this classic - rather a rather cynical attempt to justify providing a gimmick to earn a price tag of £60 or so.

Anima is an ingenious and well-made but unnecessary tool to deliver the necessary motivation. It is easy to use but needs some care and audience management in getting ready and cleaning up. I used it a couple of times - did not handle the tension as per instructions and, yep, the gimmick snapped. There are no instructions on how to maintain the Amina gimmick, which at this price is an accident waiting to happen. The irony is that, rather than repair it, which seems really difficult, you'd simply replace it with an IT reel - thus proving the fallacy of proving this gimmick in the first place. I guess the realities of Vernet's business model is that putting out a DVD with the handling, for you to use your own mechanism, isn't the business they're in.

BUT... pause for thought: the handling of this prop detailed on the DVD is SUPERB! If only it was issued as a DVD for twenty bucks. But that's not going to help Vernet commercially.

So - is this the answer to the Haunted Deck? I know at least one pro who has decided so. He likes the way the gimmick is covered, to eliminate lighting issues, and the way the deck and cards animate. And if you use it regularly to earn money then I guess you'll view the entry price as a business investment. For me, though, whilst the handling is very attractive, breaking that gimmick has spooked me. In fairness, any version depending on IT, or IET, is going to run the risk of tension breaking the works. The straight competitor for this in my view is Nick Einhorn's 'Spooked', which came out in 2003 (I think) and which is possibly no longer available new, but pops up on Magic Week occasionally for around GBP30 (it was the same price as Anima new).

I'd look elsewhere, for a non-thread solution: Justin Miller's Ecliptic and Haunted 2.0 by Mark Traversoni & Peter Eggink are excellent solutions. 'Chill' by Tom Wright is, for me, the best in a one-to-one situation, although again uses a form of thread as its motivation.

Anima also has an application to the Animated Matchbox, which is all but redundant in the UK because no-one now uses matches. This one will play well on the second-hand market. Shame for the early adopters who like me lost their nerve.
Message: Posted by: MaxfieldsMagic (Feb 3, 2013 07:13PM)
OK, mine broke already. Dang. And I was pretty careful about following the tips to prevent extra stress on the gimmick.

Now time to test Vernet's customer service.
Message: Posted by: MaxfieldsMagic (Feb 6, 2013 12:31AM)
Never heard back from Vernet on the first email I sent on this. Just sent another.
Message: Posted by: Jamie Ferguson (Feb 6, 2013 02:18AM)
Gosh, that's really poor customer service.

Please keep us up to date with what happens from this point on.
Message: Posted by: Jamie Ferguson (Feb 8, 2013 01:35PM)
Hi MaxfieldsMagic, any update here?
Message: Posted by: MaxfieldsMagic (Feb 16, 2013 12:13AM)
Nothing. I'll give it one more shot.
Message: Posted by: Jamie Ferguson (Feb 16, 2013 12:21AM)
That is appalling!

Vernet should hang their head in shame.
Message: Posted by: bsears (Aug 13, 2013 10:03PM)
I almost bought this without doing my research due to the great write-ups it received in Magic and Genii. Glad I didn't!!! This item is rating very poorly amongst most of those who have bought it. There are also allegations of blatant lies in Vernet's ads about this product. (maybe that is being discussed on another thread?) Anyway, based on what I know now, I'm so very, very glad I didn't waste my money on this.
Message: Posted by: targetintellect (Sep 21, 2013 11:16PM)
Even with the drama, I am grateful for the magic Café. I saw this effect listed in the Steven's Magic catalog; so I looked up the demo and thought it looked like a winner. Next, I researched it on here, and I think I'll invest my money elsewhere. In my experience, reading the reviews on the magic Café has helped me select some great effects and avoid some disappointing ones.
Message: Posted by: J M Talbot (Sep 23, 2013 08:48AM)
Am surprised at the neagative feedback this received. Have not seen this new version but I purchased the first version (Phantom Deck) many years ago and really like it. For me it is a practical in the hands haunted deck with a regular deck in all lighting conditions.