(Close Window)
Topic: Infinity is great
This is the trick--- key-- box and --quarter is my best pocket trick by far !!!
This was the trick that got me interested in tenyo. Yet after I got it the noise of the coin falling ruined it for me. I had spent the money in advance for the 500 Yen coin for none English version but found the English version first at a great price that takes a quarter. After getting it I decided not to waste money on the one that is made for the 500 yen. :(

Love the idea, the key, the box, the penetration, the noise not so much. ;)

Now the other key trick that got me interested in tenyo yet not as such a pocket trick "Magical Door" is all I expected it to be, great trick!

Richard
Richard

To cover the sound of the coin, I wiggle the key as I push it through. This covers the sound very well. I have never been called on the sound.
Unwanted noise is a problem with quite a few Tenyo tricks. Just the other night I was playing with "Crystal Pyramid," which I've always admired for its ingenious and audacious method. But it is absolutely impossible to perform without sound. Al Cohen used to demo it in his shop and say, "You'll hear a magic sound" or something like that, pointing it out rather than hiding it.

"Mystery China Box" is another great effect with a noisy mechanism.

I've often wondered how the Tenyo creative team thinks about this type of issue, because it's obviously a problem if you're trying to do a magical effect. Since the majority of their customers are laymen in Japan, the requirements for them might be different, i.e., the noise is less of a problem because the so-called performer thinks it's fun to show how clever the method is.
I have always felt we collectors make much more of the sound than our spectators do.
These Tenyo are magic, not miracles. If sound is required to effect the magic then make
it part of the trick like Al Cohen did. The sound issue has been discussed quite a bit here and
it seems there is always a way to perform and feel good about the performance.
But, in the end no sound would be better. But then everything would cost more.
Ed