(Close Window)
Topic: Using a pre-bent coin
I have no experience with coin bending. I do know how to successful pre-bend a coin and what I would like to do is borrow a quarter, switch it out for the pre bent one, have that coin signed and then "bend" the signed coin. Has anyone used this method and if so could you suggest a source to properly learn this? I would like to learn how to have the bent coin signed without it being seen to be bent and the presentation to make it seem like it's actually bending. At this time I would like to focus on coins, not other types of metal bending.

Thanks!
You could hold the pre bended coin in a way that the bent is no visible and let the spectator write his initials on the visible part of it.
I'm doing a similar move when I place a pre bended coin in a spectator's hand while I'm covering the bended part with the tips of my fingers.
I don't think that having them sign a coin that's already bent is a good idea.

get a quantum bender 2 and bend their signed coin.
Daniel Garcia has a method or two with a pre bent coin on Bent, Touch, Slink.

Or just switch in the bent coin your own way. I use a topit which fits my needs.

None of the above allows it to be signed though.
I'm with Adam on this one. However, you'll pay a LOT for a Quantum Bender 2! It is the way you'll be able to do this. Oh, but you'll hear things like, "Hey what about the...(fill in the blank) bender?" Yeah, a cheaper way to go, but the difficulty increases.

If you cannot afford or find a Quantum Bender 2, this idea might not work for you.

Doug
QB2 is the way to go but can be prohibitively expensive for a hobbiest (but tax deductible for a working pro). If you have a good enough switch then there is no need for a signature. In fact dynamo used an unsigned coin and a painfully bad switch on his tv show and still got great reactions.

Before I got my bender I used a pre-bent coin and TKO and got great reactions. The reactions have not really changed but the bender gives me the convenience of being able to bend whatever coin the spectator hands me and not having to worry whether the condition of the coin matches my bent coin.

It also allows me to let them keep the bent coin without having to worry about having to reset. The spectators only care about the signature if they can see an opportunity for you to have switched it, a clean and well motivated switch rules out any need for a signature.

Mark
I've played around with this idea back in my teen years and this might open your mind to some thing. Buy some of those circle stickers and have them sign there initals on it explaining that its agaist the law to write on the coin...etc. Now when you apply the sticker to the now switched bent coin just don't stick the sticker all the way down and to them it looks like its still there coin un-bent. Then do your bending and say its even more illegal to do this and do your magic..now hand to them and say now we just remove the sticker so noone traces it back to you.

Just an idea to play around with...
You can have the bent coin signed if you pre-bend it the right way. I don't want to delve too deeply into methods or anything, so I sent you a pm.
I was looking for ways to do this aswell, I like the sticker idea, but the fact that it's not physically ON the coin taints the effect slightly.

I love the simplicity of this trick, but having an audience member sign the coin always just adds that icing on the cake. It also means I can hand them my own duplicate, unbent coin, so I don't have to worry about matching their coin.
I just pre-bend a coin that has a small area that is flat that looks like a regular coin. I hold it in such a way that they sign on the flat part. Then I "bend it".
I usually switch the coin on the offbeat. No problem getting a reaction.
A good switch works fine. No need to have them sign the coin
If you're going to use a pre-bent coin, you should really check out Andrew Gerard's Psyche. It is a VERY well structured routine that starts with their coin and ends with it bent and signed. It is good because it totally avoids the awkwardness of trying to pass off a pre-bent coin as being flat during the signing.
Thanks for all the great suggestions and ideas!
You could use Roy Kueppers Superman Coin Bend...You can take a borrowed coin and sign it, and then bend it. No switches.