(Close Window)
Topic: What are your goals this year?
Message: Posted by: Close.Up.Dave (Jan 15, 2013 03:13PM)
I think it might be fun to start a discussion of some goals we may have, and help each other accomplish them. If you want to participate, post 1-3 goals you have, and if possible, list some problems that are getting in your way. If anyone wants to offer solutions, you can post them or private message. The best part about this is we can each go back and see what our goals were and find out if we accomplished them by year's end.

Since I started the thread, I figure I'll go first.

Goal: I want to become a known vendor in my area for weddings.

Problem: There is an upcoming bridal show that I'm considering having a booth at. The booth has its own cost, and I'm not much of a decorator. I will be over budget already just getting the booth and would still need help from someone to help me design the feel of the booth.

Feel free to post your goals!
Message: Posted by: MichaelDouglas (Jan 15, 2013 03:58PM)
My goals for 2013:

1. Fully implement Showbiz CRM into my business by 1/31/13
2. Send at least a bi-monthly newsletter to my mailing list, starting by 2/1/13
3. Secure at least 2 more weekly restaurant gigs for a total of 3 by 2/28/13
4. To post to social media of one type or another at least weekly starting 1/14/13
5. Separate my web site into 3 separate sites for Kids, Corporate, and Weddings by 4/1/13
Message: Posted by: Sam Sandler (Jan 15, 2013 04:33PM)
My goals are

1. take my new show DEAFinitely Magic on a national tour
2. create a twitter or instagram account and get a better following of my fans
3. spend more time with my daughter outside of magic.

I am excited as my first goal just came to be 2 weeks ago. I am officially taking my new show on a national tour to over 300 schools in more than 37 states. over a 1/4 million students will see and be inspired by my new show! leaving September 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGR3BgubQhQ

I cant believe it. but truth be told I have been working to make this happen since mid 2012!

sam
Message: Posted by: MichaelDouglas (Jan 15, 2013 04:39PM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-15 17:33, Sam Sandler wrote:
My goals are

1. take my new show DEAFinitely Magic on a national tour
2. create a twitter or instagram account and get a better following of my fans
3. spend more time with my daughter outside of magic.

I am excited as my first goal just came to be 2 weeks ago. I am officially taking my new show on a national tour to over 300 schools in more than 37 states. over a 1/4 million students will see and be inspired by my new show! leaving September 2013
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGR3BgubQhQ

I cant believe it. but truth be told I have been working to make this happen since mid 2012!

sam
[/quote]

Sam that's fantastic. Congratulations! I only listed business related goals, but yes, spending more time with family is a priority for me also.
Message: Posted by: misterillusion (Jan 16, 2013 08:08AM)
My goal is to increase my business volume enough where I can tell my wife she can retire from her part time job if she wants.

Charlie
Message: Posted by: Dannydoyle (Jan 16, 2013 08:51AM)
My goal is to finally set some goals.
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Jan 16, 2013 08:53AM)
Sam, congratulations! I think this is a great idea for you (as long as you don't mind the road). I've been touring for over twenty five years, with the last fourteen being an annual tour. Each year it seems to just continue to grow. I currently have an 86% re-book rate, plus many new schools and venues discover my show each year creating a snowball effect. I'm sure you will find this very rewarding.

This is the level where the school market is quite strong and offers many possibilities. Not sure what format you're touring with, but many great opportunities for profitability. Great teaser demo video. I'm sure you enjoy great success.
Message: Posted by: magic4u02 (Jan 16, 2013 09:45AM)
Goals for 2013

To establish a better CRM system so as to make it more efficient and easier to stay in touch with clients and leads at various points in the marketing cycle.

To do a better job of sending out (non-sales) oriented touch base marketing at various times in the year. A simple postcard or email during the holidays is a great means to stay in touch with clients without hard selling to them.

Work on maintaining and upgrading my SEO for my website and tracking all analytics

To branch out into a couple new markets that Kelly and I have defined this year

To continue to work in the areas of social marketing via Facebook fan page and other avenues

Kyle
Message: Posted by: Sam Sandler (Jan 16, 2013 10:27AM)
Mindpro- no I don't mind the road. I already put 35,000-40,000 a year on my truck.

about 10 years ago I was doing the school circuit locally and doing about 150 schools a year along with being the wal mart magician performing 5 nights a week at 6 different locations. not to mention my other shows.

after leaving walmart I focused on bigger shows with my illusion show and off and on with magic conventions.

when I went deaf in january of 2009 my business tanked and I kind of almost gave up. late 2009 I embraced my deafness and began to work at ways to perform my show the same as when I was hearing. it took some work but I did it! then early 2011 I got the idea for my new show DEAFinitely Magic but the name was originally "Silent Magic". but schools were always asking me how to I communicate with the kids if the show is silent. ugh. the show is not silent but the name kept creating problems so I came up with the new name and it has been a wonderful thing.

schools love this unique show and I am so excited that I get to take it across the country. it will be a wonderful experience for me and my daughter.

I have been blessed over the years to be able to take my daughter on short tours to Montana. Puerto Rico, Florida and many other places. now we get to visit over 37 states. I am planning to end in California and then trying to get some shows in Vegas before heading home.

I should mention I am a full time single dad that is why this is so extra special for me. I have been raising my daughter by myself since she was 6 months old- she is now 14 years old

sm
Message: Posted by: Al Angello (Jan 16, 2013 02:01PM)
2012 was a year that my phone started to ring again, and with the recovering economy I hope to do as much work in 2013 that I did in 2007.
Message: Posted by: Mindpro (Jan 16, 2013 02:39PM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-16 11:27, Sam Sandler wrote:
Mindpro- no I don't mind the road. I already put 35,000-40,000 a year on my truck.

about 10 years ago I was doing the school circuit locally and doing about 150 schools a year along with being the wal mart magician performing 5 nights a week at 6 different locations. not to mention my other shows.

after leaving walmart I focused on bigger shows with my illusion show and off and on with magic conventions.

when I went deaf in january of 2009 my business tanked and I kind of almost gave up. late 2009 I embraced my deafness and began to work at ways to perform my show the same as when I was hearing. it took some work but I did it! then early 2011 I got the idea for my new show DEAFinitely Magic but the name was originally "Silent Magic". but schools were always asking me how to I communicate with the kids if the show is silent. ugh. the show is not silent but the name kept creating problems so I came up with the new name and it has been a wonderful thing.

schools love this unique show and I am so excited that I get to take it across the country. it will be a wonderful experience for me and my daughter.

I have been blessed over the years to be able to take my daughter on short tours to Montana. Puerto Rico, Florida and many other places. now we get to visit over 37 states. I am planning to end in California and then trying to get some shows in Vegas before heading home.

I should mention I am a full time single dad that is why this is so extra special for me. I have been raising my daughter by myself since she was 6 months old- she is now 14 years old

sm
[/quote]

Sam, I can relate to much of what you are saying as I too have done much of my touring, have performed nationally full--time (for a living) and have owned and operated three entertainment agencies all while also being a single parent to a daughter starting when she was only about six months old.

My daughter was with me nearly every step of the way, through my appearances on All My Children, MTV and the talkshow circuit, through having my own radio and television shows for twenty five years, through tours and then eventually after she graduated high school as my on stage and off stage assistant for another ten years before now being the CEO of one of our entertainment agency divisions that she created.

I will tell you it is what has allowed me to be a great single parent, a successful performer and a successful entertainment business owner/operator all at the same time. I look back and think I did pretty well, she never got into drugs or drinking, never got pregnant or into "guy" trouble, and today is one of the top models in the country as well as a business owner herself.

Entertainment is what made all of this possible.

It is HARD work, but we've traveled the world, done and seen things most people will never experience in their lifetime, and on top of that we're still best friends to each other. I only wish I would have kept a journal or diary, as today it's quite simple with blogging, which was not available back then, neither was the Internet of online schooling.

Keep us posted, keep the kid and safety first and remember "the show must go on" and I assure you that you will have memories (for both of you) that will last a lifetime.
Message: Posted by: Ken Northridge (Jan 16, 2013 04:33PM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-15 16:58, MichaelDouglas wrote:
My goals for 2013:

1. Fully implement Showbiz CRM into my business by 1/31/13
2. Send at least a bi-monthly newsletter to my mailing list, starting by 2/1/13
3. Secure at least 2 more weekly restaurant gigs for a total of 3 by 2/28/13
4. To post to social media of one type or another at least weekly starting 1/14/13
5. Separate my web site into 3 separate sites for Kids, Corporate, and Weddings by 4/1/13
[/quote]
Michael,

Iím glad youíre not in my territory! You have very smart goals and Iím sure you will be on top of your game by the end of the year and getting a bigger piece of the pie in your territory. I also have the full implementation of Showbiz CRM on my list and some other goals of yours mirror mine.

1.Fully implement Showbiz CRM and dramatically increase marketing efforts over previous years.
2.Build at least 3 more web sites.
3.Book one weekly family night at an area restaurant with both me and my wife (face painting) as entertainers.
4.Develop new school assembly with wife (subject is a secret) :)
5.Run a marathon

Lets all meet here in December and compare notes!
Message: Posted by: Scott Burton (Jan 16, 2013 07:27PM)
To be more adventurous and spontaneous. I'm getting better but have a ways to go.
Message: Posted by: Close.Up.Dave (Jan 17, 2013 06:21AM)
[quote]
On 2013-01-16 20:27, Scott Burton wrote:
To be more adventurous and spontaneous. I'm getting better but have a ways to go.
[/quote]

What an adventurous thing to post!
Message: Posted by: Scott Burton (Jan 17, 2013 08:36AM)
What may be easy to some may not be easy for me (being adventurous) as I've always been very analytical. However, with time in the business (7 years full time now) comes a level of security which ultimately (ideally) should lead to a high quality of life (why else be in business???).

Also working on being a better performer and speaker (which goes well with adventurous), trying to contribute more to society at large with volunteer work and addressing social issues (rather than just focusing on myself and my family), and, of course, spending more time with family too.

I have been improving with my adventurous side. This last year I joined a cheerleading team (first public performance soon!) and attempted my first 100 mile running race.
Video about my cheerleading adventures thus far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXPA87b6QIs
Video about my 100 mile running race attempt: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxDXRUHzbr0

This year I'll be doing a 130 km (triple marathon) running race on snowy trails next month, a desert marathon in a little over a week, a 24 hour timed run in the fall, and potentially a 72 hour timed run closer to new years. Also trying to do more travelling and just being....free! It's the flexibility of being an entrepreneur that I love.

Anyway...just like everyone else...I'm just trying to improve one step at a time.
Message: Posted by: Steve_Mollett (Jan 19, 2013 11:23AM)
Write-write-write!
Message: Posted by: Paddy (Jan 19, 2013 01:38PM)
Live thru it without getting shot by a jealous husband is the best goal I can think of