(Close Window)
Topic: What You've All Waited For: A Tenyo BOOK
I've just made a deal with Tenyo to produce a book on all of their magic effects with their full cooperation. This will require much work: trips to Japan, writing, photography, and so on.

I'll be interested to hear what YOU think should be in the book!
Wow that is great news.

Congratulations!
Great News

I already feel like Stereo's blog is the definitive Tenyo book :)
Wow, very cool. Wish I could write (or sing, or draw, or perform magic :( Oh well, Thank goodness for self working Tenyo's)
Hey there's a chapter: Self working Tenyo's for the sleightly challenged :)
Congratulations!!!......can't wait to see the result.

An idea......it would be great that the book includes an original/exclusive "pack flat" trick between his pages....
This is something I wanted to do but I can't do all alone and blog take me lot of time.
My idea was A beautiful color book the size of a DVD case of the same style that has been done by French guy for the history of Nintendo and wich is just the perfection. Something in several volumes that covers the history and reference all Tenyo tricks. If a book is made, it must be done properly, it must be in full color with pictures, something very visual and beautiful.

[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/217/booklr.jpg/][img]http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/4481/booklr.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/534/booknin3.jpg/][img]http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/2835/booknin3.jpg[/img][/url]
Richard

Just to manage expectations, is it fair to say that we are at least 5 years away from seeing this book?

I hope we get Mr. Jennings Takes it Easy before the Tenyo book :)
Thank you for your kind word Pierredan ;o)
That is excellent news...cannot wait to see it
I feel the Jennings book slipping away....
I want it! I want it!
Congrats for the idea and for having closed the deal with Tenyo!
Richard,

This is wonderful news! I also hope it will be in full color with a lot of photos. I love the idea of the book doing a trick!

Congratulations!
Great Idea.

It should be large enough to be able to see good size pictures of the props it will be very colorful.

Good for you Richard, getting Tenyo to go along with anything is something very hard to do.

You must have a good idea what you want to do with it to have them say yes to it.

I'll be buying it when it is available. :)

Richard
This is incredible news! I once posted that this would be a dream book for me.

Really hope there is a chapter on the prototypes for Lubor Fiedler's tricks (how they looked before and after Tenyo worked on them. Apparently some of his tricks are even stronger before Tenyo has simplified and mass-produced them). Also would love at look at some of Lubor's tricks which Tenyo decided not to go with (for whatever reason).

I love ya' Richard!

Joe
I imagine the Tenyo team has come up with some amazing ideas over the years which could never be made into a plastic prop. Maybe because they were too complex - or even because they were too simple (perhaps a clever little impromptu or sleight-of-hand piece. You see some of these in the GENII and MAGIC MANUSCRIPT specials on Tenyo back in the late 80's) and were perhaps more suited for a book instead.

Would be nice to get a flavour of the creativity which doesn't (for whatever reason) make it on to the shelves.

Looking forward to it!

Joe
I'm pretty sure the book will be hardcover, 8.5 x 11, and full color.
And large.
If you have any other ideas, let me know.
There is lot of fabulous prototypes never produced, for example there is an incredible Zig Zag Coin props described on the Hiroshi Kondo Tenkai Prize book ( I will soon make a blog post about this book ). Maybe that Mr. Kondo has already shown you this prototype Richard when you have meet in Japan. It's a real gem, so clever, so visual. But this was never produced, then it would have probably been a bestseller. There are a lot of things to say about this company. I can't wait to see the final Book.
There are so many Tenyo tricks that most of us will never get to see.

So - I hope somebody (such as yourself) can perhaps give a run down of the ones which are particularly note-worthy. And perhaps describe how they work. I have followed your writings for years. And you have a good way of briefly and succinctly summarising what is noteworthy about a particular method.

Just seems a shame that an important and inventive method might be buried away unused on a shelf. When it could be summarised, so that others can try and improve them, or adapt them for other tricks. It would be really nice to have a record of the important advances that Tenyo have made in the past.

I am sure you have something like this in mind. But I just wanted to stress how important this book could be for other creators in the future.
Also - I wonder if Tenyo have kept the videos they took of Lubor Fiedler during the various meet-ups they have had with him (often during FISM conventions)? It would be great to see the footage from them on a DVD - or online video (password portected) link.

I hope there is a similar focus on Angelo Carbone as well. Since he is the Lubor Fiedler of his generation. And because he has done so much work for Tenyo in terms of recording and detailing their work.

Joe
Wow, incredible news Richard! Sign me up for the Deluxe leather version... Hopefully bound with a Melting Loop :) This along with Stereo' s blog will be great resource for current and future Tenyoites.

Tenyo is such an iconic brand in our little world of magic and it will be great to see it profiled this way. Will the book be aimed at an audience beyond magicians? Having a concise visual representation of Tenyo's incredible line will be great. I will be particularly interested in the inventors and the creative/production process. As Tenyo enthusiasts any rare items that can be uncovered will of course be of interest.

Best of luck and please keep us posted on progress.

John
I remember Tenyo put out a small booklet (only in Japanese) of uses for the BLUE CRYSTAL effect that Lubor Fiedler created. I think the booklet was written by Dr Sawa or Hiro Sakai.

It would be great to see that translated into English. Or perhaps have the best effects from the booklet put in the book? Or have the book made available as a pdf file?

Indeed - it would be nice to see if there are any updated handlings or variations for previous Tenyo products floating around. I remember Angelo Carbone used to detail some on his website. Just curious to see if Tenyo have ever collected a file of such material as well?

Perhaps you could ask readers of GENII to send forward any variations/tips which might be worth detailing in the book? For example - I know there has been some good ideas for the BLUE CRYSTAL detailed on this forum in the past.

An idea I had (but have yet to test) was to combine TENSEGRITY by Patrick Snowden with Lubor Fiedler's ANTI-GRAVITY ROCK. The card which is balanced on the table (Tensegrity) would rest on the small board used in Lubor Fiedler's effect. To show that the card is apparently not supported from below as well as from any other angle.

You can see a video of TENSEGRITY here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0hMOLEILAg

Just some ideas.

Joe
[quote]
On 2013-01-16 19:06, Richard Kaufman wrote:
I'm pretty sure the book will be hardcover, 8.5 x 11, and full color.
And large.
[/quote]

What could be better then a large, full color, and hardcover book on Tenyo - this is something wonderful to look forward to!
Fantastic news, Richard! Do you think it will be mostly history, or will it tip methods as well?

Very much looking forward to it -

Mark
Richard, this is mind blowing news. No one can do this better than you...

I'm sure you are well aware that you are opening the opinion floodgates by inviting Tenyo "fanboys'" commentary, but I'll give you my 2 cents anyway.

I can see this going in the visual direction of the recent Mail-Order Mysteries book http://www.amazon.com/Mail-Order-Mysteries-Real-Stuff-Comic/dp/160887026X or the fine history of Adams magic http://www.amazon.com/Life-Party-Visual-History-Company/dp/B001KKV1CA/ref=pd_sim_sbs_b_2 . Both of these publications managed to capture the essence of their subject matter by replicating the spirit of the products in the very method used to communicate the story. The typography, color palettes, graphics, page layouts, all paid homage to the items they were honoring. Tenyo has such a rich history of visual graphics and packaging, I can see this holistic publishing approach fitting this assignment perfectly.

Or...go in the completely opposite direction and treat these lovely miniature illusions like art... sparse graphics, minimal typography, white space framing lush color photography, coated stock...think high end auction catalog.

Either way, or someplace in between you'll be golden. But, that's not what you asked is it? You'd like to know what should be in the book. So here's my itemized wish list in no particular order:

1. A short history of Tenyo. I own an old wooden Tenyo sand frame. It's beautiful, yet, what other antique Tenyo beauties are out there that only Tenyo knows about? Give us the inside stories on the origins of this company.
2. Prototypes. I love seeing the pre-production models that geniuses like Mr. Carbone and others put together to sell an idea. Seeing these wherever possible would be an incredible behind-the-scenes experience for those of us so familiar with the Tenyo classics. And, they could be photographed without giving away any secrets.
3. Magic effects that weren't released.
4. A complete list (can be text only, without graphics) of all the Tenyo effects released, including variants (Disney etc.).
5. A visual history of the packaging and branding. Let's face it, Tenyo was, and is a leader in knowing how to sell magic and make it feel special.
6. A brief, and simple explanation on production and manufacturing. Tenyo, like LEGO, has perfected plastic molding and assembly. How did they do this? Why? And what was the price they paid?
7. Behind the scenes baby...I want plant photos, planning sessions, testing...you name it.

I'll keep thinking, but that's where I'm at. This is gonna be good...
I'm ready for a PRE ORDER.
Well, at this embryonic stage I can say that at the very least there will be a large photo of every single Tenyo prop we can find, both in its packaging and without it. There will be a description of the effect.

I will speak to each Tenyo creator about the stories behind each trick (often these will be just a sentence or two, but sometimes the stories are longer).

And of course if we can find any prototypes, these will be included, along with all the material already published about Tenyo in various magazines (including the tricks by Tenyo inventors which appear in these magazines).

It is not known at the moment whether the book will reproduce the instruction sheets or show photos that divulge the clever mechanical methods behind such effects as "Mystery China Box" and "Crystal Pyramid."

Writing a book that will probably be 300 pages is a long process, and I am only at the beginning. It costs a lot of money to fly back and forth from the east coast to Tokyo, and I have already hired a translator. My initial idea was to print the text in both English and Japanese, but I don't know if there are enough Tenyo collectors in Japan to make this worthwhile (it would greatly expand the size of the book).

And there is always the issue of obsolescence. Within less than a year of the book's appearance, Tenyo will have brought out another line of tricks which won't appear in the book! Rather a disheartening prospect, but you get used to things like this after many many books.

Anyway, that's all the information I have for now. I would be happy to hear any and all detailed suggestions because I am doing this book for all of YOU.
I'm not sure about the interest of listing all 250 T-tricks if it's just to make was allready available on internet with only descriprion, short development story etc ...
If you make just 1 volume so I think this take to much place to list the 250 tricks and add absolutly nothing new and valuable. It is bad if that this list takes the place of really interesting and new things. It is necessary that this list of trick is in addition to the rest, and do not canibalise interesting content.

Here is the the table of contents I had prepared for my project: feel free to use it.

1- The history of the company
Magic, but other area of product too, key dates that have change the companie, challenge over the years, other japanese magic company, reasons of success.

2- A new version of One year from idea to merchandising.
follow the development for a year of a new collection is probably what is most interesting and exciting part.

3- Interview of Creators:
-how are they joined the company and what is their professional background.
-What is their vision of magic.
-What is their way of working to invent a trick and how they come with fresh idea every year.
-What is the trick in which they are most proud, and why.
-What is the magic that was the biggest challenge in marketing.
-What is the effect which he really believed but was not selected to be produced.
-How does a typical working day in Tenyo.
-And now their wish for the future.
Etc etc..

4-List of ancient magic before the main collection.

5-List of trick in the main collection:
- Stories of creators, changes made, tips, history of development, concessions that have to be done, succes of sales, why discontinued item etc

6- The secret of Tenyo Special +1 campaign

7- Only In Japan

8- The Tenyo Magic Set

9- Partnership with Disney and other companies :
The partnership with Disney is a story by itself.

10- The prototypes never marketed:
The craziest ideas, projects too ambitious, why are they rejected, explanation of manufacturing limitations etc etc...

11- Packaging, their design, their history.

12- Tenyo and the rest of the world :
history of business in global radiation -Collectors - Partnering with The Western magician - etc

13- The new generation of inventors :
Their vision of Tenyo, their goals, their doubts.

14- A word from the president on challenge faced in the next 20 years.
I've bought Tenyo items and I was amazed by its quality and effects. Even most of them are made in plastic, they get the job done very well.

So if there is a book that shares info about Tenyo items then I'm in!
I think it's the kind of book that EVERY magician can buy, it can be a bestseller.
[quote]
On 2013-01-17 00:31, Richard Kaufman wrote:
My initial idea was to print the text in both English and Japanese, but I don't know if there are enough Tenyo collectors in Japan to make this worthwhile (it would greatly expand the size of the book).
[/quote]

Richard

I find your statement very interesting. So the Japanese overlook the appeal of collecting these intriguing devices? Are most of the collectors in North America?
You have to walk the fine line to appease the Fanatics, yet make it marketable to the general market.
So, some random thoughts;
*Tenyo was never intended as magic for magicians. So the book should not speak like a magician.
*What Niche was Tenyo really trying to fill when it first produced it's tricks? *Has the niche changed.
*I like the idea of a coffee table style of book.
*Make it approachable and 'user friendly'. If it is crammed with details that only fanatics care about, no one else will buy it.
***Is Tenyo the modern history of magic in miniature?
***You can solve the problem of the book becoming dated by penning a deal with Stereo & making his website a companion to the book.
*How about including a DVD of interviews with some of the Nuts 0n this forum (you know who you are :) Oh, & maybe the inventors too.
*The Collectable Tenyo's & the secondary Tenyo marketplaces. Ebay, Magic Café, brick & morter stores. Study other books about collectables; Star Trek & Star Wars action figures, Hot Wheels, etc. Which books were most successful? Copy the format/concept.

Good luck with it, and put me in for a pre-order.

Ed
Fantastic news! REALLY looking forward to it :) I believe everything has already been said about what should be in the book, I have nothing to add.
Stereo, I don't believe that just because information exists on a website, that it should not be included in a book. Any book on Tenyo must include every trick with photos and description--that's the skeleton of the book on which everything else hangs.
Really interesting idea! Count me in for a copy!
My english is so bad that you never understand what I say ?

So reread my table of contents :
4-List of ancient magic before the main collection.
5-List of trick in the main collection:
6- The secret of Tenyo Special +1 campaign
7- Only In Japan
8- The Tenyo Magic Set

But if you just want to make a kind of catalog by referencing only 250 magic tricks of the main line with their official descriptions, and short development story allready available, so I Think that it will not be enough to make an interesting and memorable book.

I agree with edshern, Study other books about collectables.
I'm sorry Stereo, but we're not on the same English wavelength. There are many times in my life when I wish I spoke French! But, alas, I cannot. Merde.
[quote]
On 2013-01-17 17:15, Richard Kaufman wrote:
But, alas, I cannot. Merde.
[/quote]
LOL Richard! I think you're doing pretty well in French!

What's funny is that "Merde" is much like the word "Crap" in English... It usually has a pejorative meaning... but be careful: sometimes, depending of the context, it means "Good luck"! I can easily wish you "Merde with your Tenyo book", and it would be nothing but positive encouragement.
Again, essentially a matter of colloquial language... ;)
I hope you sell a merde-load of them.
1) It would be nice to hear about a few of the effects that were close to making the final cut, but were never released to the public and why...along with photos of these prototypes.
2) Could a never-before-released Tenyo effect be included with each book? It would be a special exclusive for those who purchase the book.
3) A DVD could be included with a demo (it could be the original video demos that Tenyo made)of each Tenyo product since the inception.

Just my 2 cents. Thank you for putting this project together, Richard...I'm looking forward to purchasing a copy upon its release.
Michael Lair
Ok now all of us have gave their idea which ones you like Richard ?
It would be great to read in the book about the issues that are disucussed during the spring meeting where they finalise the new range of tricks.

You mention elsewhere you hope to be there this year for the meeting. And it would be fascinating to have such a meeting written up for the book.
I actually didn't mean that I'd be there for a product meeting, just that I'd be having a meeting with the Tenyo folks in that room.

I don't think they would let an outsider into a product meeting, but it's a good idea nevertheless.
On your 20 hour flights to & from Japan, just reread every post ever written in this forum.
That will keep you out of trouble and give you some ideas.
For example- We have complained about a number of issues with some of the tricks. I would love to know
how their engineers respond to these complaints. Noise issues, quality issues, things not working issues (think wonder window)

How about some of their flops, & just plain terrible ideas. I can think of one someone here recently called Kaka.

Just as aside, do any of them follow this forum. Would be cool to have a rep from there pop on here once in a while.
Ed, having a conversation with a Japanese person is nothing like conversing with a Westerner. You don't approach things directly.
Richard, then here is hoping you find the diplomatic, politically & culturally correct way to
Address the issues. Because I am way too politically incorrect to be
Let out in public:)
Lol! Ed, could make a fun reality show.... "Ed Goes To Japan"

For the book might be neat to incorporate the animation from "I'm a Magician" T - 61 somwhere in the book.

John
Yeah, I can see it now, meeting Toru Suzuki, looking him right in the eye and say, love Crystal Cleaver, but did it have to be so noisy?
Great news richard I can't wait to see this book.
It's 14 hours from DC to Tokyo, a straight shot. I do it all the time and enjoy the solitude of the flight. Also get a lot of work done.
[quote]
On 2013-01-18 22:37, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Ed, having a conversation with a Japanese person is nothing like conversing with a Westerner. You don't approach things directly.
[/quote]

And that, sir, is an understatement worthy of the Japanese!

After three months in Osaka, I learned so much about thinking through every possible ramification and interpretation of every single word in every single sentence. It made Bill Murray's scenes in "Lost in Translation" even funnier, since I saw it about a week after I got back.

I wish I was in DC instead of DFW; I would love to assist on a project like this. It sounds remarkable, and I know it will be done with the passion and attention to detail that you always show.

Really looking forward to this book.

Cheers,

Pix
Great news Richard and the perfect person to do it. What a mammoth task ahead. Any prototype photos/sketches you want you can have.

Angelo
Thanks, Angelo. I'll be in touch!
Richard,

I would be really interested to know about the T-numbers from T-42 to T-60.

Why are some of them so hard to find like T-43 Invisible Man and T-54 Melting Loop?

Why are there two that no one we know of has T-44 Magic Coaster and T-45 Breakaway Fan. These are so scarce that there is barely a picture of them?

Why are there duplicate T-numbers like Melting Loop packages printed with T-54 and T-64?

Where the heck did That is Your Card come from and why does it have the same T-Number as Billiard Balls?

Some kind of research into these question would be valuable to collectors and would be information that has never been published.

John
Many of this questions have already been asked to Tenyo in many occasions, and they know nothing!
It is very old, people do not remember, may no longer there. Even in Japanese Official website they explain they have no clue about these missing T-numbers. They also explain that the T- were added to the magic tricks sold internationally. The only for Japan trick do not have this T- number.

My question is why there is a gap in 1984 with no T-tricks produced this year.
Just because no answers have been given previously, doesn't mean they really don't know.
Yes but we must be pragmatic ... If they had the answer they had absolutly no reason to lie and hide...

"I know the answer to this question, but I'll pretend I did not to all those who have requested past 40 years because it's super funny..." I can not imagine the Japanese think this way.

Do not complicate things unnecessarily. But obviously it costs nothing to ask again, and you have to try.

They have already said that maybe they can be mistakenly selected a wrong number during production and therefore skipped the missing numbers so as not to create incoherence. This can explain the double reference en some tricks (good number on instructions and error on package, both produced independently by differents subcontractor). Maybe it's something else. I hope you have the chance to finally have a definitive answer to this problem which all the fans seek answers for decades.
Richard,

I remember bugging you about this on many occasions, glad to hear this has finally come to fruition. I personally would like to see a book with ARTFUL photos of every single Tenyo trick made as part of the "T" line with backstory data for each trick.

1. It would also be nice to cater the book towards the Tenyo magic collector and not just magicians.
2. Perhaps a rarity classification system and/or production numbers by region (Tenyo probably wouldn't release this information, but it would be neat - it would sure clean up eBay gouging)
3. Perhaps a price guide based on an avergage of verifiable eBay closings.
4. Tenyo prop and packaging variations (e.g., Midas Machine prop color variants)
5. Packaging photos for US tenyo tricks with front and back shots.

Extremely glad to hear this effort is in your capable hands!

Good luck.
Richard, this is such great news!!! I've been a fan of Tenyo even since I was 10 years old working in a magic shop demoing magic. I always remember that these were the most expensive close up tricks in stock, BUT that never stopped me and having my parents buying them for me :) Ever since then I've been collecting and have a collection of over at least 50 Tenyo tricks. Can't wait for this release!!!!
I do not think it is necessary to specify Richard, but if you need help, advice or pictures or other for you book do not hesitate to ask me.
Thanks, Stereo, for your offer, The members of this Tenyo chat group have already made many good suggestions here. I have more questions to ask than I can count. I have to start in Tokyo.
[quote]
On 2013-01-26 15:44, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Just because no answers have been given previously, doesn't mean they really don't know.
[/quote]

What you guys don't realize that Richard Kaufman played a detective on TV in the late 70's all along while writing his magic books. I think the detective in him will get some new info on the T-Number questions.

[img]http://www.funstuffonly.com/temp/kaufmanandhutch.jpg[/img]
SShhhh! Don't tell anyone that. It's also not true, however I was once part of a famous singing duo (my partner was Daryl Hall).
If people have told you that you look like John Oates then maybe they told you that you look like BaBaBooey!

BaBaBooey to all you Tenyo crazies out there.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Bababooey
[quote]
On 2013-01-17 00:31, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Well, at this embryonic stage I can say that at the very least there will be a large photo of every single Tenyo prop we can find, both in its packaging and without it. There will be a description of the effect.

I will speak to each Tenyo creator about the stories behind each trick (often these will be just a sentence or two, but sometimes the stories are longer).

And of course if we can find any prototypes, these will be included, along with all the material already published about Tenyo in various magazines (including the tricks by Tenyo inventors which appear in these magazines).

It is not known at the moment whether the book will reproduce the instruction sheets or show photos that divulge the clever mechanical methods behind such effects as "Mystery China Box" and "Crystal Pyramid."

Writing a book that will probably be 300 pages is a long process, and I am only at the beginning. It costs a lot of money to fly back and forth from the east coast to Tokyo, and I have already hired a translator. My initial idea was to print the text in both English and Japanese, but I don't know if there are enough Tenyo collectors in Japan to make this worthwhile (it would greatly expand the size of the book).

And there is always the issue of obsolescence. Within less than a year of the book's appearance, Tenyo will have brought out another line of tricks which won't appear in the book! Rather a disheartening prospect, but you get used to things like this after many many books.

Anyway, that's all the information I have for now. I would be happy to hear any and all detailed suggestions because I am doing this book for all of YOU.
[/quote]

Richard,

A couple of additional suggestions to what I have already posted.

1. You might want to set up a companion web site (or simply point to tenyo.co.jp) to accompany the book for future Tenyo tricks/addendums. Really, if you think about it, the tenyo site is already set up for this as their site is always updated with their newest tricks. Furthermore, it increases Tenyo site traffic by pointing readers to the site for product updates. Perhaps even Tenyo can carve out a new section on their site for this. Of course, I think we all hope to see a link to Davy's site somewhere ;)

2. Since there is so much Disney integration, what about a section for Disney Tenyo? I can personally see this book being sold at every Disneyland throughout the world.

3. It would be nice to see detailed creator bios and listings of their tricks on their respective bio page.

4. Though an added cost, how about a companion CD to include video performances and/or instruction sheets in a sealed jacket in the book so someone can't just come up and read the book for instructions?

5. Do you plan on covering Tenyo one-offs (a la Doug Henning branded Tenyo)?

6. Perhaps some commentary by Jim Steinmeyer might be included?

7. For "Rare" or "Scarce" tricks, it would be neat to see how the trick became discontinued or difficult to obtain?
Houdini103126: Yes, I have already had many of the same thoughts.

But only an eBook can be an internet-linked interactive experience. And many's the time I've read about some web site in a book, only to discover that it was long gone!

So, it's important to consider that the book is not a time capsule of this particular moment, but a reference work that must still be relevant long into the future and not seem dated in any way. In 25 years, the only thing that should give away the fact that the book is over 2 decades old is what the last trick (T-number) is that's included. However, I've also thought of ways around that issue. :)
[quote]
2. Since there is so much Disney integration, what about a section for Disney Tenyo? I can personally see this book being sold at every Disneyland throughout the world.
[/quote]

This is a very good idea and should increase book sales.

Plus I think Richard K. is a Disneyana collector as are many other in the field of magic.

The Disney section is interesting to us Tenyo enthusiasts and at the same time incorporating something interesting to a very viable collectors market.
I would like to see a page with all the various logos and rabbits they used over the years. Might make a cool poster as well.
Yes, John, all good ideas and already on my list.

The listing of a companies logos and they years used is a common part of any sort of collector's manual.

As to the Disney/Tenyo--there's so much compared to the relatively small amount of T-numbers that it's staggering. Have any of you ever seen the Midas Machine rethemed to Mickey? I saw it once, and that was at the moment it came out of a box and some guy grabbed it and bought it for $10. Tenyo did a lot of Disney-branded items that were originally T numbers when Tokyo Disneyland opened in 1983 and in subsequent years. I am now establishing some contacts in Japan to help track down this material.

However, no Disney resort will be interested in selling this book. It's not their type of thing. You can't even buy Tenyo tricks anymore at the Mitsukoshi Department store in Epcot's World Showcase, but they used to have a good-sized selection for sale along with a TV demonstrating the items.

While it might seem like a relatively straightforward book, it's actually quite complicated and will require extensive traveling and detective work.

At the moment, I'm working on the assumption that the book will sell in very small quantities. Just because several thousand people want to buy new Tenyo tricks each year, that doesn't mean they have any desire to purchase an expensive book about them. My job is to balance the production of the book against its potential sales, which is always a crap shoot.
Richard you can count me in. I will definately be purchasing the book whatever the price warm regards M M.
I've been corresponding with Tenyo and setting up various interviews and so on. You can all be of help.
In my interview with each creator, there may be specific questions about particular tricks that don't occur to me, but are perhaps obvious and you may have already thought of them.

So, if you could start listing in this thread any specific questions you have about specific tricks, I will have direct access to many of the people who created these tricks and can ask them directly.

It can be a simple question like: "What inspired you to create this" to "why doesn't this effect seem to function properly."

For example, when I interviewed Mr. Sugawara, I did ask about "Money Shredder" and mentioned that people seemed to have trouble doing it deceptively. He said he didn't understand what the problem was. I rewatched some YouTube videos of the trick last night and to me it seems that the important subtlety of exactly how and when you move the string to above the bill is missing from those demonstrations. If I had the "Money Shredder" prop with me, then I could have asked Sugawara to play with it and see if he remembered exactly what he intended. Hopefully a second interview will be possible.

Another example is the noise certain props make. I'll delve into that with the creators and find out what is going on there.

So, what are YOUR questions about specific tricks?
On Money Shredder I recently realized that it was released with two different cords.

A gold cord and a purple cord.

The purple cord is thinner and seems to be a bid more corse.

I am guessing that the gold cord came first and then they replaced it with the purple cord.

For sure a thinner/corse cord will shred better than a thicker/smooth cord.

But possibly the cord change may have simply been a supply issue.

As usual Stereo has done a good job of documenting Tenyo and you can see both cords on his site.
http://tenyo-magic.blogspot.com/2010/05/t-189-money-shredder.html

I am now imagining you all running to your cabinets/drawers/boxes to see what color cord you have. ;-)
I don't know how I missed this thread but put me on the list for a book Richard. Cant wait for when you finish it. I am sure it will be a hit as anyone that has a smallest interest level in Magic has heard of Tenyo for sure (I understand that doesn't translate into sales). But being such and Icon (Tenyo.... and you of course) in the industry one would think that every serious collector would buy one. I wish you all the best and put me down.

Charlie
That's very interesting, John. I will have to ask about that. I'm more concerned if there's an artful and deceptive way to get the string above the bill without it being obvious the way it is in the videos on YouTube.
Thank you for this information John, I have updated the blog. I never noticied that !
I just got Sun & Moon tubes....it was a missing item in my collection....I wasn't very interesting in it before because it is an old effect reissued by Tenyo.

Now that I got it I'm very pleased....props are very well made and very well thinked....also the size (bigger than the classic effect) allows you for a wider range of routines.

I was surprised to see a very interesting "rice bowls" routine option created by Richard Kaufman and Tomoyuki Shimomura.....do you have more collaborations like this with other Tenyo effects?....it would be interesting to know the history behind that.
Sometimes I see Tenyo items before the English-language instructions are written by Steve Cohen. In that case, the Rice Bowl idea just popped into my head and I emailed it to Shimomura-san, and Tenyo liked it enough to print it in the English instructions (I don't believe it's in the Japanese instructions unless they added it when they reprinted, which is unlikely).

I write about the new line of Tenyo items each year in Genii. Sometimes I have a thought--this year it was about the coaster. I realized that if you bought four of them, you could use them as normal coasters in your home. If you put a different coin in each of the four coasters (penny, nickle, dime, quarter) then you could display four coins, allow a spectator choose one, and then use the proper coaster to actually do the trick. Note that I have not tried this to see how a coin of lesser weight, such as a dime or penny, would work, but theoretically it should be good.
I believe that Stereo wrote here on the Café that he would like to have four of this years Magic Coasters in his home to use when he had company.
I had the same idea that Richard when I received the Coaster. It is a good idea because it allows you to choose a piece at random, but why not do it a second time with another guest.
I wouldn't do it a second time--it might invite the two remaining spectators to take a closer look at their coasters. If someone shakes it, the noise will give away the fact that there's a coin inside.
Good point !
I'll buy this book! If you need any photos of slightly rarer stuff, I have a boxed Sutekina, and an unopened floating lady if you don't already have them.
[quote]
On 2013-02-10 10:28, Bill Scape wrote:
I'll buy this book! If you need any photos of slightly rarer stuff, I have a boxed Sutekina, and an unopened floating lady if you don't already have them.
[/quote]
...or pictures of the original 1991/1993 retail boxes full of Mindscanner resp. Fantastica.
When planning a book like this, the economics of it are always part of the initial scenario.

There are about 240 T-numbered items. Adding in the specials, promotional items, some of the other Tenyo items like the McD's and Pokemon stuff, if I give just one page to each item, that's already a 300 page book. Now say I give two pages to each item and we're at 600 pages. You can see that the size of the book can become a problem very quickly. Now let's include all the Tenyo ads that have run for the items (certainly an important part of the story), as well as the two big Tenyo stories (Genii and Magic Manuscript) and you're at another 75 pages at least. Plus all the new material, interviews, comments from the originators, and so on.

The book could easily be 1000 pages. But the book CANNOT be 1000 pages--TOO expensive. And here is where what I've learned from being a writer and publisher of magic books since 1977 comes in. I have to make choices. Hopefully the right choices so you guys get what you want. That's why it's a complex project--there's a lot of stuff to deal with and a limited number of pages.

I'm still negotiating certain points with Tenyo, but things will get clearer in the coming months.

My point in this somewhat long-winded post is that photos of boxes full of items as Nicolino has suggested probably won't make the cut.
If you list 300 items it take 150 pages for 1 page per trick ( recto / verso ).
It's for that I say that 2 or 3 volumes would be a good choice, but it makes more works BUT we can be pretty sure that almost all the people who buy the first volume will buy the second also if they are happy and if the book have interesting informations.

I completely disagree with those who think that few people will buy this book. But, all depends on its whole design, its interest and how it will be presented to buyers. I never see any book published by Richard, so I don't know his style and way of doing. There is a book you have publish that might look something like you want to do with Tenyo Book ? How many copies you consider selling regarding your experience in the past ?

Look again to the photo of the History of Nintendo I post before. I think ideally it should look like this. Visually appealing.
I can not wait to see the artistic direction that will take things.

It's a very exciting project.
Publishers don't count pages by the number of sheets of paper in a book, but by the number of sides printed. So a 300-page book is not a 150-page book just because it has 150 sheets of paper.

I don't like books that are designed to look "busy." I favor a clean look, so I'm afraid you might find my book boring to look at. At the moment I have no idea who will design and layout the book, but it might end up being me.

Multiple volumes are rarely a good idea. You never sell as many of the second as the first, and you never sell as many of the third as the second. Diminishing returns. I usually go for one BIG book.
Stereo what you are talking about is a leaf. A page is only 1 side.

If I was doing the book, I would organize it by decade and weave stories with information on the significant tricks of that time.

For sure I would not try and include every trick. To me that is a reference guide. I was hoping for a book more story driven.

Just my opinion. ;–)
It has to include every trick since it will be a reference work.
Richard the book will be absolutely fantastic and I for one have every faith in you,as you have proven yourself time and time again.
I've put out some good books, some very good books, but also a few crappy ones. But that was a long time ago. I've learned a lot in doing Genii for the last 15 years. Hopefully this will be one of the very good books.
[quote]
On 2013-02-10 13:38, Richard Kaufman wrote:

I don't like books that are designed to look "busy." I favor a clean look, so I'm afraid you might find my book boring to look at.

[/quote]

I agree, I also like the simple design (like the photos on my blog), and I will love too a book like a old book in a very classic class style. I like both colorfull and classic retro epurated style.
But sometimes we must not think that we love but do something that buyers will love and want to buy. Not easy to find the middle.
Since I usually make little money on my books (certainly never enough to justify the amount of time it takes to create them), I always please myself first. That has worked out pretty well.
It's very sad that books not selling well. For me, the books are something that I adore, I respect, I find beautiful and offers a mode of transmition of information unsurpassed.
People often say that now with the internet, books are no longer useful. This is completely false, internet often offers very superficial things and nothing worth a real book or even a magazine. I do not really like the dematerialized versions too. Books are really special objects for me, who remain through time, leave a trace and can be transmitted. I find it unfortunate that books do not sell well, and even worse they are hacked. It is an art and a way to transmit Culture very important that must be respected and cherished.

Fortunately there are still people like you who continue to publish books by passion.
Thanks.
...the smell of ink and texture of paper is irreplaceable.
A book has so much more to offer than a digitalized version. You can smell the scent of a new or an old book, you can feel the texture of the letters and the pictures with your skin, coming close to the end of a page makes you eagerly want to turn it and continue, and many many more things....We can all be lucky there are people like Richard who still want to do that, it's a gigantic amount of work...
Hahaha... exactly the same timing it seems magic patagonia :)
This is great news Richard. I was impresses with the Addams book a few year ago. A similiar task which might inspire as to what works (and dosn't) for something of this size. Glad it's in your cabable hands, as stereo mentioned... us book buyers appreciate what you give back to the art by theses works of love.
The SS Adams book was done for the public, and it included only a tiny amount of SS Adams output (if it's the book I'm thinking of). The Tenyo book aims to be comprehensive, and is geared entirely toward magicians, things which make it much larger and more complex.
Would be nice if interviews with some of the non-Japanese creators were included as well. Such as Angelo Carbone and Lubor Fiedler. It makes sense since they are such brilliant creators.

Also - at a Lubor Fiedler/Mark Steduccati lecture I attended. Mark mentioned that Lubor Fiedler used to be a kid's show magician (doing very inventive and original tricks). And Mark thought it was a shame that Lubor couldn't devote more time to inventing and less to performing (Fiedler did hundreds of shows a year). I believe it was Mark who helped set up contact between Tenyo and Lubor. It sounds like an interesting story since it touches on the stuggles to make a living that a genius like Fiedler experienced. Since his genius is in a narrow and relatively uncommercial field. And also due to his being isolated in Austria away from the mainstream of the magic community. I think the Tenyo/Fiedler relationship is a fascinating one.

Anyway - I thought this could be an interesting story since it seems Tenyo has helped Lubor Fiedler to devote more time to invention. Which is a great boon for the rest of us and indeed for the future of magic as well.

And to dig up an earlier request. I would love to see some of the unreleased effects from Fiedler. And the early prototypes. Would be interested in hearing more about the weird (and sadly unreleased) prototype that Angelo Carbone invented which was featured in the GENII issue (which had Angelo on the cover) as well. I have no idea how the trick Angelo developed could be done!
There will be a cover story on Lubor coming up in Genii later this year.
That's terrific news Richard. Glad I'm a subscriber. Nothing like a new copy of Genii in the maiil box. (See what I did there...yeah, II'm clever).
Great news, Richard! Lubor Fiedler is my all-time hero.
Wasn't Todd Karr working on a book on Lubor at one point? I wonder if that project is still alive. Would be great to have his creations recorded in one volume.

Look forward to another feature in Genii on Lubor.

John
I still think about questions for Tenyo inventors, what is the deadline before your trip to Japan about this subject ?
I'll be making several trips, but send me your questions as soon as you can.
A question that may be already on your list.

Are there any of tricks you designed for Tenyo that got a far greater response than you expected or ones you thought were a "sure thing" but were not recieved as well?
Good question keeper. I think that could be asked of any artist or designer, and the answers would always be interesting.
Noted!
Question:

I would be interested to hear what inspirations Tenyo have gotten outside of magic for some of their effects. It seems the inspirartion for their ideas is a reworking of a clever mechanism/paper folding found in everyday life outside of magic.
Just an update:
I now have interviews (each one lasting four hours) set up with Hiroshi Kondo, Hideo Kato, Tomoyuki Shimomura, Toru Suzuki, and a second interview with Shigeru Sugawara, as well as secondary interviews with several others. I have also located some of the top Tenyo collectors in Japan and will be visiting them and taking photographs. All of the principle Tenyo inventors are also preparing new tricks for the book.

Moving ahead!
Can I pre-order? :)
I don't take money until the book goes to the printer. Then I'll do a pre-publication offer. I'm also toying with doing a deluxe edition.
I'm in for the deluxe edition!
I think the Deluxe addition is a great idea. Put me down for one as well.

Charlie
I think all of us Tenyo collectors will go for the Deluxe edition. We would be crazy not to. :)
I'm in!
I'll take a deluxe edition please.
Where I come from, we call this a "no brainer." Deluxe Edition all the way baby.
I'll take 10 delude editions. One for my collection and nine for the incredibly high price they will command once they're discontinued! :)
Deluxe edition sound great!
Is the deluxe going to be a numbered limited run?

What would be the difference besides cost from the standard edition vs the upgraded deluxe edition?
I'm in. May need three though:
One to read
One BNIB
one spare
The deluxe edition would probably cost double the price of the regular edition. (This is how I've priced my deluxes for decades.) Slip cases cost $25 to $40 EACH these days.

Yes, it will be signed and numbered.
Drool.
I'll be selling bibs, too. :)
Richard,

I don't envy the large responsibility you've taken on but certainly applaud you for doing so - bravo sir!

Anything I can do to help please do get in touch. :)

Looking forward to the masterpiece ahead. :)
Yes for sure mr Kaufman has a huge responsibility resting on his shoulders,but believe me he will deliver the goods!! .
[quote]
On 2013-03-01 23:21, Richard Kaufman wrote:
I'll be selling bibs, too. :)
[/quote]

Will you sign those as well? I'll need more than one.
I'll sign a diaper (or an adult Depends) if it makes you happy. I'm not proud, and anyone who buys an expensive book like this one will be deserves personal service from the author/publisher!
:lol:
Hey Richard,

Just wondering if you ever thought about publishing the Mark Steducatti book (which is in the works) on Lubor Fiedler?

Also - do you know the latest on that book - and do you know anymore about the magic set that Mark Steducatti is working on that uses the ChromaDepth lens that Lubor Fiedler used for the TENYO 'Flying Carpet' effect?

Sorry for all the questions!

Joe
I am indeed publishing the book on Lubor Fiedler, which Matt Field has already started writing. Mark has been shepherding the book toward me for several years. Things are now underway!

The magic set using ChromaDepth glasses is being done outside the US, but it hasn't come out yet. I think it will be a while.

And if you want to improve the illusion with Lubor's "Flying Carpet," you might want to buy a few pairs of these high-end ChromaDepth glasses:
http://www.3dstereo.com/viewmaster/gls-cdsd-pl.html
[quote]
On 2013-03-16 19:48, Richard Kaufman wrote:
I am indeed publishing the book on Lubor Fiedler, which Matt Field has already started writing. Mark has been shepherding the book toward me for several years. Things are now underway!

The magic set using ChromaDepth glasses is being done outside the US, but it hasn't come out yet. I think it will be a while.

And if you want to improve the illusion with Lubor's "Flying Carpet," you might want to buy a few pairs of these high-end ChromaDepth glasses:
[/quote]

Not badly priced either. Thanks for the link Richard :).

Do you know if those would work with the 3D films of the shows at say Universal or Disney? The cheapo ones they give out to use are not always comfortable.
Wow aTenyo book and a Fiedler book.... happy days!
[quote]
On 2013-03-16 19:48, Richard Kaufman wrote:

[/quote]

Just ordered my glasses...
That is great news, Richard. And Matthew Field is a grea choice since he is a huge fan of Lubor as well.

With the upcoming GENII cover story on Fiedler I thought it might be possible you would be involved in the upcoming project.

Thanks once again!

Joe Mckay
Jim, ChromaDepth glasses will not work with any films that I know of. They use an entirely different principle to create 3D images.
On top of the Fiedler book and the TENYO book. I was always looking forward to the two Gaetan Bloom books that The Miracle Factory were supposed to be putting out.

Not sure what has happened to them - but it might be a project worth looking into.

Thanks once again for all your efforts, Richard! You are the gift that keeps on giving, and the ideal person to be Chief Genii.

Joe
Put me on the list for this book! I can't wait to read it! I don't know if you're still looking for any suggestions or ideas but it might be interesting to see some of the other forms that some of the tricks might have taken. For example, was the China Box envisioned as being a different size, shape, etc.

Just my 2 cents...
Darn.

I was hoping I could use them at the Disney and Universal theme parks for their 3D attractions. They use grey lens too but the glasses sometimes have sharp, uncomfortable plastic near the ears.

Thanks for the extra info Richard ;).
Jim, They're not all the same glasses at the theme parks. Some are simple polaroid lenses, like Captain EO and Terminator 3D. But the glasses that are used for Star Tours 2 are different: some sort of silvered lens from Dolby in a hard plastic frame like regular sunglasses--and they do a much better job with the 3D. Sharp as a tack.

psychod: I will be asking all of the creative staff about each one of their inventions. Sometimes they have interesting things to say, sometimes they have nothing to say because they can't remember. Some of these tricks are 40 years old (like Melting Loop, Fantastic, and so on). Most are 20 to 30 years old. I can't remember why I invented or thought of a certain trick or sleight 30 years ago. Not every item has a good back story, but I will do my best.

I know for a fact that Hideo Kato has a different handling than was published for "Wandering Hole," and he has volunteered to explain it to me. You'll get some things like that.

I also believe that we have found the unreleased Tenyo trick to go flat inside the front cover. :)
I remember when I was in Japan one of the Tenyo guys showing me a new handling for Prison Box. He basically violently shook the unit in the air to disguise the secret action to make the ring jump compartments. Looked good but cant remember who exactly showed me. Was years ago. Again with Mini-Morphosis, instead of a curtain, a jumbo card was placed in front of the box to hide the change. A magnet was stuck to the back of the card in the right position. Again I don't remember who showed it to me. What this is leading to is I bet there are tons of new handling ideas for existing Tenyo. Maybe worthy of its own thread ��
I just returned from Japan, where I interviewed all the major creators of Tenyo's tricks. Each interview was four hours long and very detailed. I also interviewed the founder of the Tenyo company, Akira Yamada.

The book will contain new handlings and tips, photos and videos of prototypes (both produced and not produced) many tricks from the Tenyo creators that have never been published in English, reproductions from the Japanese catalogues, and much more, including at least two DVDs tipped onto the inner covers (the way I did with the Berglas book)

Each book will come with an envelope containing the props for at least four tricks by those who have created tricks for Tenyo. The book should be between 300 and 400 pages and in full color.

There will be a deluxe edition with a page signed by a dozen members of the Tenyo creative team, including all the original members (Hideo Kato, Shigeru Sugawara, Hiroshi Kondo, Takuya Yoshizawa, Tomoyuki Shimomura, Tooru Suzuki, and Dr. Sawa). The deluxe edition will also contain props for two additional tricks.
That sounds incredible Richard, thanks for the update! Having video included is a real bonus.

John
How about getting some / all of the original creators to sign them?

[quote]
On 2013-03-04 01:05, Richard Kaufman wrote:
I'll sign a diaper (or an adult Depends) if it makes you happy. I'm not proud, and anyone who buys an expensive book like this one will be deserves personal service from the author/publisher!
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2013-04-22 16:37, NashvilleNewman wrote:

[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Nashville,

From Richard's post above:

"There will be a deluxe edition with a page signed by a dozen members of the Tenyo creative team, including all the original members (Hideo Kato, Shigeru Sugawara, Hiroshi Kondo, Takuya Yoshizawa, Tomoyuki Shimomura, Tooru Suzuki, and Dr. Sawa)."
So you just finished the interviews and that means the book should be published in a week, right???? Seriously, every new detail makes me want the book that much more!!!

Dave
I just p**ped my pants.
Now that is one very cool trip to Japan.
It was a great trip, but completely exhausting.
Can't wait for this one!
Richard, mark me down for a Deluxe! Sounds awesome!

Charlie
Because of the level of interest, I have decided to begin compiling a list of people who want a deluxe edition.
If you're interested in being added to the list, please email me at moobooks@verizon.net.
I will sell only one copy per person. The price will probably be $300 or $400.
Do NOT send any money yet, just your name so I can add it to the list.
You will be notified when the book is available.
For those who are interested to add their name to Richard's list, just make sure to delete the last dot of his email address above... So his correct address is: moobooks@verizon.net

Simon
Richard

I volunteer to carry all the deluxe editions to the book signings in Japan.
Count on my order of a deluxe edition!

Thanks CHRIS
All the pages for the deluxe editions have already been signed by everyone but Angelo Carbone and Lubor Fiedler.
Richard, this is a blast watching these play-by-play posts. I just sent you an email to get my name on the deluxe list. U da man.
I'll put of course my name on the list... like everyone here probably...
The more folks who buy the deluxe editions, the more cool stuff I can put in them. Economics, you know. :)
I was reading through the thread and was thinking this will be great to have until I got to the post saying it will cost $300-$400. Am I the only one taken aback by this price? What will the standard version cost?
[quote]
On 2013-04-24 11:51, Franky33 wrote:
I was reading through the thread and was thinking this will be great to have until I got to the post saying it will cost $300-$400. Am I the only one taken aback by this price? What will the standard version cost?
[/quote]

It is a fair bit of money but not out of line compared to what other limited edition volumes have gone for in the past, particularly given the extras Richard is including. Seeing what some individual Tenyo tricks sell for now makes it seem like a decent deal!

John
Frank,

Dr. Robert Albo books on Classic Magic would be a comparable to what this deluxe edition will be imo. Not sure what price point the standard editions will run, but I can't imagine them being inexpensive. This is a major project to complete from start to finish and I for one would like to see something at the end of the rainbow for the one who takes this kind of job on. I wish Dr. Albo's books were offered in a basic edition, since they are so hard to come by. This way the books could be enjoyed by the many who would appreciate the content that his series contained. When you can find one of his books, they will set you back a lot of coin, but they are really special. What Richard is undertaking with Tenyo will be something to treasure, and I will not miss out on it. It's also great that a standard edition will be offered so it's not so exclusive. We will all just have to see what unfolds.

CHRIS
I think the price is fine considering you are also getting autographs of the majority/all Tenyo creators plus exclusive trick inserts. It will no doubt be the book of the year.
Richard:

How about adding a "Friends of Tenyo" page where the names of the Tenyo fans would be printed that commited to the Deluxe Volume in advance? Might be another nice way to encourage an early commitment.

John
I think it may be a fair bit of money but I think the real question is: Is it worth it? In my opinion, it is. I think that Tenyo produces some incredible items and I would think that a book like this would be a great addition to any Tenyo collector. However, some people won't agree and that's fine as well. I guess those of us on this forum should be grateful that there aren't more Tenyo collectors out there or the prices of the tricks on e-bay, et al. might really go through the roof.

Just my 3 cents worth,

Dave
Guys thanks for the info. I guess if you are collecting magic books or Tenyo the amount seems small but to me it is still a lot. Richard Kaufman wrote that the deluxe book is usually double what the standard one costs so I think even the standard book at $150-$200 is too much for me. I am sure it will be a good book though.
It is a sizable amount of dough, no doubt. But, considering the time and expenses that is invested in such an endeavor, the ever-increasing cost of printing (due to the decreased demand), and the very, very, small audience this book will attract, I think the price is fair. And, you can bet that no one is getting rich off of this.

I know this sounds silly, but this book is still months away from being printed. Start saving now, even a dollar a day, and you'll be set.

Richard, I have no idea on how you are assembling and producing this tome regarding the re-tasking of the art, but is there any chance that on-down-the-road you may offer a digital version? Even a PDF that people can use as a reference?
The regular edition will, as of this early moment, likely cost $150. It might rise to $200.

Since deluxe editions cost double the regular edition (this has been my pricing plan since the mid 1980s when I produced my first deluxe edition), that is why I stated the deluxe edition of the Tenyo book will cost $300 to $400. For a true Tenyo fan, having a copy of the book that has been signed by ALL the major Tenyo creators should in my estimation be worth the money. This is something that, even if you lived in Japan, would be impossible for you to accomplish. Plus, slipcases cost a *** fortune. Plus I have to buy one prop, and have a second manufactured, for the deluxe edition.

To compare, my book on David Beglas, "The Berglas Effects" was also about 400 pages, and came with 3 DVDs, and cost $125 (original price). It was in black and white, however. The Tenyo book will be all color and cost me many times more to print. The deluxe Berglas, long sold out, cost $250.

I have no plans to do an ebook or make a pdf file of the book available at this time. The problem with ebooks at the moment is that they cannot incorporate a lot of video--takes too much space. In order for an ebook of the Tenyo book to make sense, any videos regarding each trick should be accessible on the page about that trick--kind of like what I do with the digital edition of Genii each month. It's not possible to do that now.

Considering the number of emails I have already received, it's fairly certain that the deluxe edition (somewhere between 60 and 75 copies--the exact number depends upon spoilage during the book-making process) will be sold out long before the books are ready for shipping. Each book will be numbered.

This new Tenyo book is NOT merely a catalogue of what Tenyo has produced. The results of my interviews have exceeded my wildest hopes: stories behind the creation of most items, additional handlings (previously unpublished), both photographs and videos of prototypes--both those that made it to market and those that didn't. And there will be full descriptions of dozens of tricks by the Tenyo creative team that have never been manufactured, but which you can make and perform.

I have 32 hours of audio interviews from my trip, plus hours of video and hundreds of photographs. You will see many many pages of early Tenyo catalogues reproduced that show things you've always been curious about.

Plus I will show many Tenyo items that have never been seen in the United States (including many which have eluded my friend Stereo, whose blog has been extremely helpful in the early stages of my work). Stereo: you should know that Hiroshi Kondo reads your blog. :)

Anyway, yes, it's an expensive book for an extremely small market. But it's also a hell of a lot of work and even though I love Tenyo and am enjoying the project immensely, I feel it's not unreasonable to get paid for my work. My expense for this project are very high. A plane ticket to Japan from the east coast coasts $2000, plus my hotel and additional transportation. And this book will require THREE trips to Japan to complete.

I hope this has answered your questions. If you wish to be placed on the list for a deluxe copy, email me at moobooks@verizon.net to reserve your copy. You won't have to pay until about a month before the books are ready.
Needless to say I ordered my Deluxe edition too :) It's quite a bit of money of course, but I believe we'll never see a book like this again in the future!
[quote]
On 2013-04-24 20:30, Wizard of Oz wrote:
It is a sizable amount of dough, no doubt. But, considering the time and expenses that is invested in such an endeavor, the ever-increasing cost of printing (due to the decreased demand), and the very, very, small audience this book will attract, I think the price is fair. And, you can bet that no one is getting rich off of this.

I know this sounds silly, but this book is still months away from being printed. Start saving now, even a dollar a day, and you'll be set.

Richard, I have no idea on how you are assembling and producing this tome regarding the re-tasking of the art, but is there any chance that on-down-the-road you may offer a digital version? Even a PDF that people can use as a reference?
[/quote]

The book appeals to a much larger audience than you think. Many people are interested in Tenyo, both magician and non-magician alike. I think it's fair to say this will be one of Richard's more popular and in-demand books.

Can't wait, it's going to be epic.
[quote]
On 2013-04-24 11:51, Franky33 wrote:
[/quote]

Considering the near impossible to obtain creator autographs from Japan, the DVD and trick inserts, and the content of the book itself; I for one think the price is fine. Also when you consider some of the absurd prices people pay for Tenyo on eBay, the value proposition becomes crystal clear.
Anyone got access to a Henning Floating Lady??? Richard I believe you still need it for the book?
[quote]
On 2013-04-25 06:39, Houdini103126 wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-04-24 20:30, Wizard of Oz wrote:

[/quote]

The book appeals to a much larger audience than you think. Many people are interested in Tenyo, both magician and non-magician alike. I think it's fair to say this will be one of Richard's more popular and in-demand books.

Can't wait, it's going to be epic.
[/quote]

I was speaking in comparison to commodity books, where the audience is in the hundreds of thousands. Magic books in general (except for the beginner books available at commercial retailers) are generally relatively small runs. I agree, this will have a broader appeal than most books on magic, but still a relatively short run I'm sure.

This does beg the question...Richard, are you planning on doing a Japanese edition?
Missed it! Sorry!

[quote]
On 2013-04-22 18:03, Houdini103126 wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-04-22 16:37, NashvilleNewman wrote:

[quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

Nashville,

From Richard's post above:

"There will be a deluxe edition with a page signed by a dozen members of the Tenyo creative team, including all the original members (Hideo Kato, Shigeru Sugawara, Hiroshi Kondo, Takuya Yoshizawa, Tomoyuki Shimomura, Tooru Suzuki, and Dr. Sawa)."
[/quote]
I sent Stereo photos of mine for his blog...

[quote]
On 2013-04-25 06:47, Houdini103126 wrote:
Anyone got access to a Henning Floating Lady??? Richard I believe you still need it for the book?
[/quote]
My order is in... can't wait!

John
Richard, do we get a response or some sort of verification once we placed our order/e-mailed you?
Those that have been accepted have been contacted... sorry David :)
... that was a joke... Actually I was wondering the same thing.
Richard came to my house in person, taught me the secret Tenyo-Book password and handshake, had a glass of sake with me by the fireplace while showing me photos of his trip to Japan, gave me a souvenir Katana, then left.
Didn't he do that with you guys too?
...of course... we also had some killer sushi....
[quote]
On 2013-04-27 15:06, Wizard of Oz wrote:
Richard came to my house in person, taught me the secret Tenyo-Book password and handshake, had a glass of sake with me by the fireplace while showing me photos of his trip to Japan, gave me a souvenir Katana, then left.
Didn't he do that with you guys too?
[/quote]

Ummmmmmm, no.
I've been busy with some personal matters, as well as the Collector's Convention here in Washington DC during the past few days.

I will indeed send a return email to each person who has emailed me to reserve a copy of the deluxe edition. Might take me a few weeks, so keep your shirts on.
Added my name to list for the collector's edition. Thanks!
The deluxe editions are all spoken for.

Because of this, and to ensure that the people who have actually asked to be on the list won't poop out at the last moment, I'm going to ask people to pay much sooner than normal.

I will be in touch with each of you individually.
My guess is that a number of peopel on the list may opt out once payment is actually requested... I for one am happy to pay now as I like the assurance of knowing it is more "real" that way.

Thanks
How many copies of the deluxe editions will there be? So looking forward to the book!
While I have 70 signature pages, about 15 of the deluxe copies have been promised to the Tenyo creators themselves who signed the pages.
This will definitely be a treasured Tenyo collectible!
[quote]
On 2013-04-30 13:00, Richard Kaufman wrote:
While I have 70 signature pages, about 15 of the deluxe copies have been promised to the Tenyo creators themselves who signed the pages.
[/quote]So...55 copies of the deluxe edition. It will be a big battle to have one of these!!!
Normally it wouldn't be an issue to just increase the number of copies of the deluxe edition in relation to demand, but getting all those guys to sign more pages doesn't seem likely because they live in different places and four of them are retired and had to travel for our interviews and page signing.

When I counted out the number of pages to bring with me for signing, I underestimated the demand! :(
...good for the lucky ones that have signed up for one... not so good for Richard.
As a last chance solution, You can simply put all the blank pages in an protected envelope and ship it to the first creator and when it's done and signed, the package get back to you by air mail. And you continue with the second one.
It can be simple and easy, and cost less than an airplane ticket for Japan.
It's not so easy to organize sending an envelope full of pages to 5 locations. It's asking a lot, and at any step along the way, the pages could get lost.

I've already got 10 people on the waiting list in case anyone poops out and doesn't pay when the time comes. That number will increase because I keep receiving emails from people who are just now seeing the notice about the deluxe edition.

I hate putting out deluxe editions of books that I know are going to increase in value the moment they leave my hands. It's frustrating. Gaffed to the Hilt was like that. I sold them for $125, there were just over 100 copies, and they were going for $500 within a few months. When you work very hard on a unique project, it's disheartening to see other folks just buying your product as speculative units in which to invest.
It's the same thing that happens with rare Tenyo ones... Rich guys buy them to resell them few months or years later.
They are not magician, just businessman! Really sad.
Richard Kaufman,

You could forgo including the autographed pages and up the number of the deluxe version. It sound like you can easily sell 100+ deluxe copies. You can use the autographed pages for another project or just not use them. I would guess that they did not cost you any money. This way, if you meet the demand there will not be an immediate windfall for speculators and mostly the real enthusiast will receive them. I would think that magic book collectors and purchasers of your other books would want a deluxe copy too but may not be tuned in as much as the Tenyo folks here are. So maybe even 150 copies is not out of sight but you would know better. Of course the first 55 people on the list will not appreciate this. It looks like you have yourself in a predicament and no matter what you do, not everyone will be happy. Oh and don't forget you have to write the book first and there is quite a bit of photography to be done of the many tricks. I guess you got your cart in front of your horse.

The idea mentioned above about sending the pages around via DHL or something like that can work but after each destination, they can be sent to the next and not back to you. This will minimize the number of trips. I think it would work out if you use a good courier and set-up an account for this.

GOOD LUCK!
You could always inscribe the buyers name in the book. This should be a cherished collectible and not a speculative item.
Please do not eliminate the autographs Richard, those truly make this a special piece. Increase the price if needed but don't compromise your vision on this special edition.
Another option would be to have the Deluxe edition with signatures and another "Special" edition with extras but no signature. Increasing the price of an already very expensive book should be the last choice. I still think you could kill the resale value somewhat by inscribing the original buyers name in the book. These special editions should not be intended to those who will eBay it the next day. I have my Deluxe Berglas Effects and have no intention of selling it as it means a lot to me.
I doubt there are many non collectors scouring the Tenyo board on the Magic Café hunting for investment opportunities.
In other words the mass majority will go to collectors. Yes, a few will pop up on eBay but so be it.

The book needs to be priced to cover Richards time and expenses and allow him to profit. Then the rest is what it is. If you get caught up worrying
about the other stuff nothing would ever get done.

It sounds like an incredible project and I'd hate to see it compromised because of what a small fraction of owners may or may not do.
Richard,

I realize it may not be practical but possibly you could force people to have pictures of themselves with their Tenyo products to prove that they are really interested in the book to read and not as an investment. I know, it isn't practical! It does bother me thought when people buy or acquire things just to sell them. I had an acquaintance who would run to the toy stores to get the most rare Beanie Babies (and this guy was in his 50s) for the sole purpose of investment. I know there's no way to stop it but it makes me feel sad for people who would really appreciate the item in question.

Just my 3 cents,

Dave
Psychod, I cannot give you a photo, as I spent all of my money on Tenyo effects and can't afford a camera. I can however, give you a drawing of myself next to my Tenyo products.
This is entering the world is absolute absurdity.
Hi, Richard, I just read this post. Hope that I can still on the list of the deluxe edition. I truely look foward to have a great book like that.

I will send a email as offical request to your mail box. Here is just a double comfirm.
I think a lot of people are forgetting that the book will be available in the regular version which I am sure will be very nice. What you can do is make them exactly the same as far as the inserted tricks are concerned. That might be a good solution. The autographs are nice, but I would guess to some people it is not that big a deal but missing out on the two tricks would be more of a disappointment.
Yhe point of a special edition is to make it special right? If the only difference (albeit a nice one) are autographs I think it is missing the point. We are talking about a very expensive proposition and part of the reason the cost can be justified is because it is unique and different from the regular edition and also because it is available in very limited supplies. That is simply the law of supply and demand. Richard shoudl be very happy that is demand is greater than his supply, that allows him to create a great product without fear of being stuck with costs he cannot handle and it also alows him to gain a good profit.

It's really a win win situation for Richard and those who want the book(s).

The only small downside is that there will inevitably be a few people who decide the value of the book on the open market warrent selling it on eBay... that is again part of capitalism... it just is what it is.

I'm really looking forward to the book and as someone who has been on both sides of limited edition releases (both getting them and not being able to get them) I understand the frustration and concern but what we really have here is a very successful book in the making and that shoudl be celebrated.
Well said teevee.
I'm pleased all of you are so interested in the project.

There will of course be a regular edition of the book:

1. It will be about 400 pages and in full color. It will be hardcover, oversized (8.5x 11).
2. It will come with 2 or 3 DVDs (it's looking like 3, but I can't really tell yet), but whether it's 2 or 3 DVDs, the content will be exactly the same.
3. It will come with an envelope containing flat tricks from Tenyo inventors (obviously these are not tricks that Tenyo has put out, but different tricks from some of the inventors that I think are interesting).

I have been published deluxe editions of some of my books for decades. I used to be able to have them done in bonded leather, but this is no longer possible. What distinguishes these deluxe editions are three things:
1. There is a page at the front that is signed by myself, the author, and the artist about whom the book is written.
2. That page is also numbered, which is a legal requirement when selling a "limited edition."
3. The deluxe edition comes in a slipcase.

So, to sum up: signature of author and subject, limitation number, and slipcase. These are the differences between the regular edition and the deluxe editions of my books, and have been so for a long long time.

I have produced books where the number of deluxe editions was only 50, but sometimes larger than 70. In this case getting all the creators to sign the pages was no easy task. No one wants to end a tiring four-hour interview by signing their name 150 times. So, out of courtesy to them, I decided to limit it to 70.

I hope this answers most questions. The ideas of personalizing deluxe editions in any way is not necessary.

I have no need to make the following statement, since all the deluxe editions are already reserved, but as a Tenyo collector, having the actual signatures of all the major creators in a copy of a Tenyo book I own is very alluring. Some people don't care about having books signed, but I certainly am asked to sign enough books at conventions that other people must value the idea as well.
[quote]
On 2013-04-25 00:47, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Plus I have to buy one prop, and have a second manufactured, for the deluxe edition.
[/quote]

Richard,

You initially posted that the Deluxe edition will come with 2 props that are exclusive to the Deluxe edition. Is this no longer the case?
One prop is an existing piece of magic, however Tooru Suzuki has a routine with it that raises it to what I feel is a "Tenyo" level of cleverness and amazement. I have to buy the prop in order to include it.

The second prop must be made.
By reading the posts it is easy to see who is one of the 55 people. It is a case of the have and have nots. The haves would be singing such a different tune if they were on the other side of the fence. Such is human nature. Good Luck to All.
While the list of 55 people is full, no one is guaranteed their copy until I require payment and they pay. Some people won't pay ... some folks on the wait list will get in.

So much attention is focused on the deluxe edition, it's easy to overlook the fact that the content will be the same as the regular edition except for two props and the signature page. Any Tenyo collector, or person who remembers Tenyo with affection from their younger years, will find a huge amount of information they've never seen before in the book.
If you do not get the deluxe version of the book you can always get and enjoy the standard version and buy an Ultra Tube or some other cool rare Tenyo(s) with the money you saved.
Should cover an "Ultra Tube" and that's definitely one of the coolest Tenyo items to own.
Even though I made the list for the "Deluxe", I plan on getting a standard edition that will be gifted to my nephew along with some various new Tenyo tricks. He's starting to get a little more serious in magic, after catching the bug from me. I know he will appreciate it, since he always enjoys the tricks I carry in my pockets. Richard's book will be a great gift and will certainly attract new fans of Tenyo.
[quote]
On 2013-05-03 11:46, MagiChrisMitch wrote:
Even though I made the list for the "Deluxe", I plan on getting a standard edition that will be gifted to my nephew along with some various new Tenyo tricks. He's starting to get a little more serious in magic, after catching the bug from me. I know he will appreciate it, since he always enjoys the tricks I carry in my pockets. Richard's book will be a great gift and will certainly attract new fans of Tenyo.
[/quote]

That is great. How old is he? I gave magic tricks to my nephew but he did not take care of them and they are long gone. I have a new young apprentice (12 yrs old) and we have an agreement. Each time I see him he has to bring his magic tricks I gave him previously (he now has enough that I also gave him a case) and if they are taken care of I give he a new one or two. I have never given a Tenyo away yet, they are too valuable but if he keeps it up he will get some Tenyo for sure.
The DX Edition is a true keepsake. It's always later than you think and most of the original Tenyo creative team are senior citizens, if not all of them. The timing for a DX signed book couldn't be better. If you were lucky and got in quickly enough to retain a reservation for the book, I can't imagine too many people backing out. You will forever have a piece of Tenyo history like no other.

No matter, the standard edition should be a part of any Tenyo collector's library.
What about........more or less......for the date of the release of the standard edition ?

Thanks
The regular edition will be released just before, or at the same time as, the deluxe edition.
Do you have a better idea of when you will need the deposits or payments for the reserved limited copies?
No idea yet. Just busy writing!
Thanks... Good luck!
Hey Richard,

Even though I am a big fan of Tenyo - I have mainly stuck to buying Lubor Fiedler and Angelo Carbone effects. As such - I hope you will mention in your book your ten favourite Tenyo effects - so that people like myself know which Tenyo effects are the best ones to track down when searching Ebay. I guess the reason I am not more of a Tenyo collector is because I am unsure exactly where to start.

As such - I will use your book to help start my Tenyo collection.
Hi Bob

I assume you have Tenyo effects that Angelo and Lubor invented. Those are some great Tenyo items. There are some older posts where we have shared our favorites, of course there are different opinions but some commonalities as well, would give you a good start.

I would be very interested in what are your Lubor favorites.

John
My top 5 favourite Fiedler effects? Here they are in order...

1) FLYING CARPET

2) PHANTOM CLOCK

3) ANTI-GRAVITY ROCK

4) CARD SURGERY

5) 4-D SURPRISE
Thanks Bob, what are your top two or three non Tenyo effects? Mine would probally be Hot Wire, juggling cards and brain box.

John
I don't do things like "10 Favorite Tricks" in my books. My opinion is too subjective.

And, how can a list like that be valid? I just discovered that "Money Splash" didn't work because the instructions were incorrect. So, would "Money Splash" become a favorite effect of some people if the instructions were correct and they had been using it successfully for years?

Too many variables for lists like that.

If you want to have an idea of which tricks are "good," you might consult Stereo's blog or start a new thread here: "List your 10 favorite Tenyo tricks in order of preference."
Good points, Richard!

As for 'Non-Tenyo' Fiedler effects. There are some of his from old magazines, books and lecture notes that I really like. But - I won't go over them until I have had a chance to check out the rest of his published (and unpublished?) ideas in the upcoming Kaufman book.

Still - as for the marketed effects - I always thought FLYING COLOUR CARDS was very good. As is the silver foil effect which heats up in the spectator's hands. His DIE-A-BOLIC is very good as well. I also thought SPIN GONE was very novel.

But my favourite would be the tricks based around the die with no ink spots and it's reflection in a mirror (which does have ink spots). Not sure what the original was called - but recently it came out (as a rip off?) as DICE ILLUSION 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ztik_vLhc

Lastly - let's not forget the Dental Dam Penetration. It is one of the strongest tricks in all of close-up magic.

All the best,

Joe Mckay
Thanks Joe, forgot that the die and mirror was his, that is a cool effect. Do not own flying color cards but know the method which is very clever.

Richard makes a good point about favorites lists... however I think he broke his rule in Richards Almanac and I enjoyed reading his thoughts there (may have been positioned as overlooked items)

John
Hi Bob,
Want a place to start. Not long ago we did a survey here on our favorite Tenyo to perform.
Here is a summary of that topic with the votes received.
They really do make for a cool collection with a great backstory.
Good Luck
Ed

OUR FAVORITE TENYO’S TO PERFORM:

12 Crystal Cleaver
10 Invisible Zone
8 Prison Box
6 4-D Surprise 4D
4 Magical Door
4 Mirage
4 Wonder Window
4 Twister
3 BillScape
3 Eye of the Idol
3 Mystery China Box
2 President’s Cabinet
2 Dragon Altar Dragon
2 Clear Surprise
2 Diabolicus
2 Illusion Scale
2 Mini-Zag
2 Mobile Illusion
2 Parabox
2 Soft Coins
2 Space Towers
2 Tunnel of Darkness
2 Unusual Suspects
Alpha tunnel
Ballerina hank
Bare Bones
Bird Watcher
Blue Crystal
Crystal Pyramid
Cubio
Dynamic Coins
ELEVATOR COINS
Flying Carpet
Fortune Donut
Future Clock
Geometrick
Grand Derby Prediction
Knife of Ninja
Magicians Matchbox
Metamorphosis
Mirror Mate
Mystery Triangle
Ninja Experiment
Sandwich Platter
See Thru Guillotine
Side track
Telesphere
Vault Vision
Zig-Zag Cigarette
Those favorites will change after my book comes out. :)
[quote]
On 2013-05-19 11:39, Bob_Hummer wrote:
Good points, Richard!

As for 'Non-Tenyo' Fiedler effects. There are some of his from old magazines, books and lecture notes that I really like. But - I won't go over them until I have had a chance to check out the rest of his published (and unpublished?) ideas in the upcoming Kaufman book.

Still - as for the marketed effects - I always thought FLYING COLOUR CARDS was very good. As is the silver foil effect which heats up in the spectator's hands. His DIE-A-BOLIC is very good as well. I also thought SPIN GONE was very novel.

But my favourite would be the tricks based around the die with no ink spots and it's reflection in a mirror (which does have ink spots). Not sure what the original was called - but recently it came out (as a rip off?) as DICE ILLUSION 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7ztik_vLhc

Lastly - let's not forget the Dental Dam Penetration. It is one of the strongest tricks in all of close-up magic.

All the best,

Joe Mckay
[/quote]

Fiedler's "color to no color pip" die was called Shock Die or Shock Dice in the US, marketed by Tannen in the 70s. It was not a mirror effect originally but rather it was gimmicked so that you could drop it or spin it and the pips would change right before your eyes. In Germany it was marketed in larger wood version as Lubor Die (aka Lubor Wurfel)

Flying Color cards is very cool but I don't have the guts to try that one in public.

As far as his Tenyo tricks go, I like most of them but it really is worth looking at other tricks and other inventors, especially the big 4 or 5 inventors.

A few Tenyos that sort of border on being Fiedler-like are: Diabolicus, Metal Matrimony and maybe stretching a little...Eye of the Idol. Also Mystic Scope, while not the greatest Tenyo invention is an optical effect.
[quote]
On 2013-05-19 18:38, Richard Kaufman wrote:
Those favorites will change after my book comes out. :)
[/quote]

Wow, a bold statement :) & a very cool one.
Hey Richard,

The main thing I am hoping for is a discussion of any unreleased Lubor Fiedler effects. Both in terms of the original prototypes - and the effects that Tenyo decided not to release.

It would be great to see the video clips of Lubor demonstrating his latest ideas to the Tenyo team.

Something I understand he used to do at various FISM conventions.
Bob Farmer once wrote that he was the first person to apply a mirror to the Lubor Fiedler die effect.

I think the mirror is the perfect application for this die. So well done to Bob for coming up with that!
There are no videos of Lubor demonstrating items to the Tenyo team. Like Angelo Carbone, he sends prototypes by mail and sends a video of what the item is supposed to look like.

Sorry!

New Lubor Field material will be in the Lubor Fiedler book.
Any update ?

Thanks
Layout is at 700 finished pages.

Still taking photos.

Things are moving along at a good pace with some excellent new handlings for the just-released 2015 line from Tenyo's top demonstrators. Book is all written except for those, which just adds a few days.

Hiroshi Kondo and Tomoyuki Shimomura have been proofing all along, but they want another chance to proofread the whole book once it's laid out, so that might add a month or two to the schedule.

All is well and good!
Great to hear Richard. Worth the wait ;).
I sure hope it's worth the wait! I'll be really glad when it's done ... it is HUGE.
Agree...it will be worth the wait.. and I know you will be happy when it's over Richard but I know it has been a labor of love. Can't wait to finally see it but I am patient and of course will wait as long as it takes to get it right.

Charlie
We reached page 800 in the layout today. :)
OMG. Forget reading this, I'm going to use it to work out with. That's gonna be heavy.
My head may explode when I receive the book. Fair warning.
[quote]On Nov 3, 2014, Richard Kaufman wrote:
I sure hope it's worth the wait! I'll be really glad when it's done ... it is HUGE. [/quote]

Richard, it WILL be worth the wait! These are going to require some bookshelf reinforcement work.
Perhaps this should have been called "Greater Tenyo" ... Cannot wait, am saving for the postage now :-)
Richard,

Will this still be a two volume set and if so, how many pages are you projecting each to be?

Thanks,
Kirk
I was expecting it to be 1,200 pages: two 600-page volumes in a slipcase. Considering where we are in the T-numbers at page 800, it might be a bit shorter. We cannot tell until it's actually finished.
Thought I would give everyone an update on the book.

We just passed page 900 in the layout and we have about 8 or 9 more years of tricks to go. Since the text is all formatted and laid out, with empty boxes placed where the photos will be, I can guess that the T-numbers will end on page 1,100 or so (which includes all the items from the 2015 line plus the additional handlings for them). Then there will be a section of at least 50 pages on Tenyo's large parlor magic items and older tricks. The end, I am relieved to say, is in sight.

The biggest task we still have in front of us is the scanning of all the line drawings, and taking of all the photos/doing screen grabs, for the additional handlings of all the items. However, once we get rolling it should take just about three weeks.

Hiroshi Kondo and Tomoyuki Shimomura have been proofreading right along, however they've asked for the opportunity to proofread the entire book again once layout is completely finished. This may delay the book about a month. So, I'm going to give all those who've paid for the deluxe edition in advance an extra trick as a courtesy because of the slight delay.

Just a few weeks ago another rare parlor magic item showed up, so things are still going in.

Once the book is done and off to the printer, we have to edit the three DVDs that will go inside.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
Thanks Richard ... All sounds great to me. Once again I'm fine with however long it takes as long as it gets done and done correctly which I have all the faith in the world in you and your team. I think your offer for those that have paid already is very fair. Thanks for the update and please keep us posted in the future.

Charlie
Will do!
Thanks Richard appreciate the update. Nice of you to provide the extra trick, like Charlie I am fine with waiting but have to admit I would like it tomorrow :-)

John
I love the updates Richard, as it makes the waiting all the sweeter. Everyone knows you will do this right, so take the time you need.
Wait, Richard's writing a book on Tenyo?
Outstanding!
Looking forward to it, Richard!
Just shot the photos for the tricks from 2013.
Only one more year to go! :)
We're at page 1,100 in the layout and everything is coming along well.
All the main photos have now been taken.
Some new handlings for the 2015 line of tricks to write.
The month of January will be spent taking the many hundreds of photos for all the new handlings of the tricks.
And then it's off to the printer ... I hope.
Then we edit the DVDs while the book is being printed.
*** big book.
I cant wait Richard! It will all be worth it once it's completed. However its one of those projects that could be never ending because as you are completing it each year another new year of tricks comes out adding yet more to the book. You will have to draw the line (I assume you did at 2015)somewhere or you truly would never finish the book. A true labor of love and it will be so worth the wait! Thanks for taking this awesome project up on your broad shoulders and running with it and and making it what is sure to be an outright winner.

Charlie
We won't be able to include the 2015 catalogue or new Plus One effect because we will go to the printer before they come out. So the line is drawn THERE.

But we did just find a very old Tenyo item, perhaps the only surviving example extant, that will go in.

My shoulders are not broad, my back is killing me, and at some point I'm no longer going to have the energy for this stuff. So, this is a book that has to be done now. It seems pretty safe to say that I won't be writing another 350,000 word, 1,200 page book! :)
Happy Christmas to you Richard!

You deserve a rest on all your amazing work for us Tenyo fans.

Joe Mckay
Thanks, Joe.