(Close Window)
Topic: "Booked" DVD review
I just went down to The Magic Apple today and picked this up. I love book tests, so I was especially interested in this one.
Here is the link -
http://www.themagicapple.com/new-products/7-dvd-s/booked/P691-booked-dvd-by-steve-valentine
The effect description from the DVD is-
"Have you ever performed a gaffed book test and had someone yell ‘DO IT WITH MY BOOK!’ ? Well now you can, with Steve Valentine’s BOOKED!
On this DVD Steve shares his closely guarded secrets, honed through thousands of real world performances. You not only tell them the WORD they are thinking of, YOU PREDICT IT! ! ANYWHERE, ANYTIME and with ANY BOOK.
As a Bonus Steve reveals his extreme variations on the ‘Pegasus Page’ plot. Including the ultimate version where a freely chosen and SIGNED page is found RIPPED from a book and stuck to the OUTSIDE of a window. And the best part, you can give them the BOOK and PAGE to keep as a souvenir."

Ok, I knew what he must be doing to get the word, even if I wasn't sure how. I thought I had a guess, but I was wrong. His method is very, very, good and requires no sleight of hand.
He demonstrates the effect in several different ways, one a straight book test that I prefer, and others where the selected page is found missing after the reveal, usually in an envelope in the hands of a spectator or other location. Obviously this would work better oth a traditional magic routine.
Probably the best $30 I have spent in a while on a DVD.
So definitely recommended.
I'm new here, so I don't know what other things you might want to know, so feel free to ask.
Chris
I don't have access to the forum where the question about good book tests with a prediction was moved, but someone might want to tell the OP about this effect, it would be perfect.
Chris
Some thoughts:
Do we need to use a playing card/business card, so something to put on the page?
If yes, it's not an improvement or something better as a normal version at all.
Yes and no. He has a version that does not use playing/business card, but it is a variation of "Pegusus Flight."
He does have a version where the spec can choose the page, look at the word, and then if they want, do it again and get a different word, with a borrowed book. I am not aware of any version that allows that without using "your own book." And you can still get the prediction when you want, with a little more prep and planning.

Personally, they tiny fault I have with his presentation from the video,is if you tell the spec at the end of the effect that you predicted the word, why bother claiming you we're reading his mind 30 seconds ago? I mean, either one or the other, because if you knew what it was going to be, then, well, you weren't really reading their mind.
That's easily solved though. He also had a presentation not in the video where his "spirit guide" wrote the word on a blank page held by the spectator. Very reminiscent of Stewart James...
Chris
Don't like it, a step backward.
Anyway you should put you review in the right section, not penny;-)
Not penny? Dollar better? Jan
Deutsche mark far better! :)
Not sure looks like Ted k's million dollar book test.If that's the case myself and others have been doing for over twenty years.
It is a descendant of one of Al Baker's effects. He does have several significant improvements and ideas for it though.
Chris
So what does the spectator see exactly?you give him a book, choose a page look the first word and close it,or you have the book and riffle through the pages and he calls stop?what's the dynamic of the effect?
The playing card in use... :) Jan
Mmmmmhh It sounds like a f***e with playing cards, I'd like to understand what's new to decide if buy instead of re-read some classic book :)
This DVD is terrible plus he falsely advertises to. In His performance he uses no playing card until he explains it after.If he demonstrated with the card no one would buy it.Save your money guys better stuff out there like the MOAB. Save your pennies for the only book test you will ever need.
[quote]In His performance he uses no playing card until he explains it after[/quote]

Here we are with the same problem that afflicts a lot of trailers :)
Yep That's right he makes it look so clean and inviting .If he showed the playing card no one would buy it.Who uses a playing card to force a page .Lucky I did not buy viewed it at friends house pure garbage.Sad how many trap people with trailers falsely advertising .
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Feb 10, 2013 05:20PM)
It must be bad if you are saying it, Carl! Normally you are gushing about everything! (Sometimes annoyingly so!)

Thanks for the tip off.
Thanks for the warning, magicians must be the people who waste more noney than anyone, I have a cupboard full of things that promised the earth. Only to find when it arrived, I had been duped by good editing.
In the trailer I saw a playing card twice only for a friction of a second, you have to look carefully, I stopped it twice and had a smile in my face... Of course it's old, it has been done also with postcards before which seems to be at least more organic. Jan
Yes Steve it happens to all of us.Another one is Steve Fearson will never buy anything from him.He is constantly ripping off people.My friend bought his take of slow motion more money and does not do what he claims to do.Plus the Vernet is a kids one.Slow motion is far more superior .
Jan I missed that plus it's as old as the hill.Funny thing Jan , Penguin send me their flash with all these guys from the magic castle saying it's the world greatest book test.
You are very welcome Wannabe and George.I get my reviews from Tony's top shelf and other honest reviews at other forums.
Thanks for the input.
Message: Posted by: Kaarlo von Freymann (Feb 12, 2013 02:01PM)
Hi CarlZen,
This was one of those threads that make it worthwhile to visit the Café whenever one is infected with the "wow, I must have that" virus. Could you please post (or if that is against the Café etiquette) PM me how to find the other sites on which one can find objective reviews of magic props. I do know several, but I have the problem of being 77, so what some younger magician may review as requiring very little memorizing may be too much memorizing for me, so I like to read as many different opinions as possible. Good example of different opinions: TrueTest got a (in my view righly so) critical review on one site for the typo and grammar errors, which - I bought it anyway - DO bother me, whereas others felt that was NO issue at all.

Kaarlo von Freymann Helsinki Finland
[quote]
On 2013-01-21 16:01, parmenion wrote:
Anyway you should put you review in the right section, not penny;-)
[/quote]

[quote]
On 2013-02-10 17:04, CarlZen wrote:
Save your pennies...
[/quote]

Now I am confused.... :realnerdy:
Steve Valentine's Booked looks to be very similar in method to my Thought Xtractor. This is something I have had available on my website and at lectures for many years. It is also in a set of my lecture notes. Our inspirational starting point seems to be the same but I believe my version has several key differences. As I have not seen Mr Valentine's DVD I can not say for sure, but my custom gimmicks which come with the Booklet allow for much more variation in presentation. Annoying as I was about to film a DVD of my work on this method, but those who are attending my lecture at Blackpool will see what I have done with what looks to be a similar gimmick developed totally independently.
I should say for completeness that Though Xtractor (With the extra variations and gimmicks) is a forward step from THE UNIVERSAL BOOK TEST which appears in my PRACTICAL STUFF lecture notes.
Booked just won WPR worker of the week with an average score of 93%.

It must be good.
[quote]
On 2013-02-13 16:25, Jamie Ferguson wrote:

It must be good.
[/quote]

:)

I'm missing your feedback on the WPR thread Jame. At times, I'm a lone voice.
[quote]
On 2013-02-13 16:25, Jamie Ferguson wrote:

It must be good.
[/quote]

:)

I'm missing your feedback on the WPR thread Jame. At times, I'm a lone voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MN8hU60-r6k
Jheff at Marketplace of the Mind gave Booked high marks in his review. I trust Jheff's reviews.
Then should buy cause Jheff say so. Case closed.
Wpr an Jheff be better review for some buyers.
I be agree with Carl on this item. no good to me.
[quote]
On 2013-02-15 15:13, lostpoet wrote:
Then should buy cause Jheff say so. Case closed.
Wpr an Jheff be better review for some buyers.
I be agree with Carl on this item. no good to me.
[/quote]

No, this wouldn't be for me. I find these tricks stupid.

In April I'm bringing my "Mentalists Dream" deck out and it blow the roof off of what so called working mentalists think they know.

Essentially, with a casual riffle display, I show a regular deck of cards, all different. They choose a card and...the ENTIRE deck know changes to their chosen card. Another casual riffle and they are all different again. Talk about hard hitting mentalism!

If demand for it is high, which I suspect once I get big name endorsements, I'll offer it in a variety of different cards to be "chosen", for working pro's that do multiple shows.
Not care for color change hard hit mentalism deck. Thread here turn to be out on buy or no buy it.
Step in here say he trust review but then take other step an say think trick stupid.
why walk around Café in confused shoes directing members to good review for stupid trick, no?
[quote]
On 2013-02-15 17:51, lostpoet wrote:
Not care for color change hard hit mentalism deck.
[/quote]

A top mentalist wrote me saying that my "Mentalists Dream" deck is something called a "Svengali Deck" created by a man named Burling Hull. Until I can contact Mr. Hull and send him my deck to compare, I will not be releasing mine.
[quote]
On 2013-02-15 18:24, Zombie Magic wrote:
I will not be releasing mine.
[/quote]

that be the good news.
I say it two time now. I no care for he deck.

if it no help thread please shuffle and change colors in other thread.
this one be for help members learn facts before click to pay it.
[quote]
On 2013-02-15 18:37, lostpoet wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-02-15 18:24, Zombie Magic wrote:
I will not be releasing mine.
[/quote]

that be the good news.
I say it two time now. I no care for he deck.

if it no help thread please shuffle and change colors in other thread.
this one be for help members learn facts before click to pay it.
[/quote]

Are you from Compton?
[quote]
On 2013-02-15 19:24, Zombie Magic

Are you from Compton?
[/quote]

Be so sorry but have no interest in going out for date. I be sure he take out to nice restaurant with high mark reviews.
But be also so sure after dinner he insist on show me he hard hitting deck.

I leave thread now cause it make uncomfortable now.
I think I got hit on.

:sun:
Just to give another point of view I will repost my review from latest and greatest.

This has been slammed in Mentally speaking but as the worker special was reasonable I took a punt on it and I'm glad I did. This is a very good DVD in my opinion. He goes through several variations including using borrowed books. Some don't like the fact that you use a playing card as a bookmark but this is reasonably well motivated and you can make the gaff up with a business card or even a real bookmark. To quote Craig Petty, I did it within 30 mins of watching the DVD.

For those that don't like using a card to bookmark the selected page he gives a really nice "no equipment" handling that allows you to have up to 3 people each select a different page in a borrowed book in a really fair manner. This is slightly more difficult than the playing/business card handling but that's because those handlings are almost shamefully easy. The DVD covers several different versions of the gaff including a double selection version and goes through several variations of the effects including a very clean signed pegasus page. For the money this is a great DVD and I have the business card version of the gaff in my wallet and will shortly be making up the "book only" version of the gaff and getting that handling nice and smooth because I love that I can have 3 pages selected with that version.

For 1 on 1 though I will use the business card because it is insanely easy, easily motivated and I will always have the business card in my wallet. The great thing about the business card is that after they get the word the card goes in the pocket and the book is handed back then after the reveal you can reach in the same pocket, take out an ungaffed business card and let them keep the "bookmark" as a souvenier.

After reading the thread on M S I had pretty low expectations of this DVD and I'll be honest I didn't like the idea of using a playing card in a book test. I'm glad it was worker of the week because I figured booked and Love cards had to be worth risking 25 quid. Even without love cards this was well worth the 25 quid, I'm not a fan of the pegasus page idea but this is so clean that it will fry laymen, they look at the page, can even sign it and you immediately hand them the book, no moves, no funny business and you never touch the book again and yet the page is gone and appears in an impossible location (in one version they have been holding the torn out page since the start). This is by far one of the cheapest book tests I've bought but probably the one I will use the most.

Mark
Nice review Mark,even if I was doubtful, now I think that I will consider this..only one thing,can you manage the ga***d card easily,can the spectator see something strange?
You can handle the gaff completely freely, he even shows you how to make a gaff the spectator can put into the book. You push a card or business card into a book at the point the spectator indicates to bookmark the location, this is done fairly and you can remove it and move it if they are not happy with the position. You then turn your head completely away and open the page at the bookmark for the spectator to glance the first word. This display can allow them to see the back of the gaff and they will just see a normal card or business card. The version without the card is a little more angley but with practice and a good gimmick it could be done almost surrounded.

I think those people giving this a hammering haven't actually watched the DVD and have jumped on it because whilst the card is seen in the trailer it's usage is not explicit and I must admit that did put me off slightly. Had the trailer shown a full performance as in the DVD I would have picked it up before it got worker of the week so I'm kind of glad because that hesitation earned me a free trick for my wallet.

Mark
For 30 bucks I think I'll now give it a chanche..
This more than passed the girlfriend test. Took a book to my girlfriends and did this, then told her to get one of her own books. I then handed her a folded piece of paper and repeated the effect with her book. She was impressed when I revealed the word but when she opened the prediction that I wrote before she even got the book she was floored.

Mark
[quote]
On 2013-02-17 06:33, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
This more than passed the girlfriend test. Took a book to my girlfriends and did this, then told her to get one of her own books. I then handed her a folded piece of paper and repeated the effect with her book. She was impressed when I revealed the word but when she opened the prediction that I wrote before she even got the book she was floored.

Mark
[/quote]

We would be lost without girlfriend ;)
I get a double test with my girlfriend because she likes magic but doesn't really like mentalism so if a mentalism effect impresses her I know its a winner.

Mark
[quote]
We would be lost without girlfriend ;)
[/quote]
My wife told me to loose my girlfriend... Jan
My wife has met my girlfriend which was a strange experience lol. Took my girlfriend to a nightclub and we walked through the door and bumped straight into my wife. That was an interesting introduction girlfriend meet wife, wife meet girlfriend. It's probably worth mentioning that my wife and I have been separated for 4 years (divorce pending) but we are on friendly terms.

Mark
Mark only one doubt: Can the spectator see clearly the moment when I put the card in the book or is there a kind of angle that I have to hide?
[quote]
On 2013-02-19 05:54, GCanuzzi wrote:
Mark only one doubt: Can the spectator see clearly the moment when I put the card in the book or is there a kind of angle that I have to hide?
[/quote]

you can be surrounded (unless I've missed something on the DVD), no angle issues
This is exciting news ... I hope you guys continue to buy such products you deserve the finest.
[quote]
On 2013-02-19 14:54, CarlZen wrote:
This is exciting news ... I hope you guys continue to buy such products you deserve the finest.
[/quote]

thanks Carl
Yes no angle concerns unless you do the no bookmark version and even then the angle concerns are minor. I love this, 25 quid very well spent. Today I did the Pegasus page version and had the page appear on the wall at the far end of the room. The reactions were insane, they look at the page then the book is immediately and cleanly handed to them. The revelation of the word gets great reactions but then when they open the book and the page is gone and it is in plain view 20 foot away when you haven't moved..... That's priceless. Like Glance this is way too cheap.

Mark
I have place an order,hope to get it soon to share my opinion :)
Message: Posted by: Silver Glove Magic (Feb 24, 2013 06:56AM)
Wow, I must say I enjoyed reading this entire thread from beginning to end. For a second this effect was getting hammered to death. Then it took a sudden GIANT U-Turn when Mark_Chandaue stepped in with his in-depth solid review, that changed the tone of this thread for the better! Nice work Mark! You made me a believer. I just saw Steve last week at the Magic Castle. He didn't rock Booked however. He was performing in the Close Up Gallery. And I would say this effect is much more suitable for the Parlor Of Prestidigitation, but I do wonder if you could get away with it in a super 'close up' burning you're hands atmosphere?
I mostly do this close up and it rocks. I've done it seemingly impromptu with a borrowed book too. I carry 2 gimmicked business cards in my wallet, one with numbered pages and one without. With a borrowed book I riffle the book and say this has a lot of pages (secretly I'm just glimpsing if they have page numbers at the top of each page). I then hand the book back and say look at the last page and see how many pages in the book, I don't even want to open it. While they do that I take out the correct gimmicked business card. After they have the word I remove the card and put it in my pocket. After I've revealed the word I reach into my pocket, pull out an ungimmicked card and say "you can keep the bookmark".

One thing to be aware of if using a borrowed book, a lot of novels these days have either the name of the author or the name of the book at the top of the page so if you use a borrowed book it is a lot safer to get someone other than the book owner to look at the word. If the owner is currently reading that book there is a tiny chance that they may notice the page does not have the title at the top. It's only a tiny chance because you neither open the book far enough or give them enough time to study more than the first word.

Mark
I am so excited to receive Booked,unfortunately I won't be back home until march,i have a lot of ideas on how to combine this with a short chair test :)
Mark thanks for the good tips.
[quote]
On 2013-02-24 08:51, Mark_Chandaue wrote:
I mostly do this close up and it rocks. I've done it seemingly impromptu with a borrowed book too. I carry 2 gimmicked business cards in my wallet, one with numbered pages and one without. With a borrowed book I riffle the book and say this has a lot of pages (secretly I'm just glimpsing if they have page numbers at the top of each page). I then hand the book back and say look at the last page and see how many pages in the book, I don't even want to open it. While they do that I take out the correct gimmicked business card. After they have the word I remove the card and put it in my pocket. After I've revealed the word I reach into my pocket, pull out an ungimmicked card and say "you can keep the bookmark".

One thing to be aware of if using a borrowed book, a lot of novels these days have either the name of the author or the name of the book at the top of the page so if you use a borrowed book it is a lot safer to get someone other than the book owner to look at the word. If the owner is currently reading that book there is a tiny chance that they may notice the page does not have the title at the top. It's only a tiny chance because you neither open the book far enough or give them enough time to study more than the first word.

Mark
[/quote]

I recently purchased this and am now on the hunt for a few good pages. I too planned on making 2 gimmicks, WITH and WITHOUT numbers. But as I was searching, I also noticed authors and/or book titles at the top. So, my search is now to find a few books with good words, WITH and WITHOUT pages and WITHOUT the author or title at the top.

Does anyone have any suggestions or books with mid-range page numbers and without that have descent words and without the title/author?

I am heading to the book store in a couple of days, but if someone can save me sometime, to where I could just order them online, it would be greatly appreciated.

In my personal library, most of my books have the title or author at the top... :(
Just use an eraser...

or raid charity shops...
[quote]
On 2013-02-26 07:34, IAIN wrote:
Just use an eraser...

or raid charity shops...
[/quote]

Thanks Ian....Nice idea...never crossed my mind :)
I went to a cheap bookstore selling books at 3 for £5. I bought £10 worth and came away with2 copies of the following books.

Jennifer Weiner - Fly away home (I liked the title for the Pegasus page effect)

Scott Westerfield - Touching Darkness (I liked the smaller size of this book and the subject. The description on the back "imagine falling for someone who can fly you through the air. Imagine loving someone who can see your darkest thoughts".. Those two lines alone fit perfectly with the thought of word being "seen" by the performer and the page appearing in a remote location)

John Connolly - Every Dead Thing (the description on the back for this starts The travelling man is on the move. Few will survive the journey. Again a great description for the Pegasus page effect.

When choosing a book if you are doing the Pegasus page effect make sure that the book has a good word in the right general area of the book. The first book I looked at didn't have a single useable word in a useable area of the book. Had I not thought to check I'd have got home disappointed.

Also if using a borrowed book it is probably a good idea to go with the gimmick without numbers, they are unlikely to notice the lack of numbers or remember whether there were numbers on the page.. If you use the numbered gimmick there is a chance that they will note the page number and then later have an opportunity to look up that page in the book and find a different word.

Mark
Great words to use

Something (as described on the DVD)

Difficult (i'm going to try and read your mind ........ it's difficult, no it really is difficult ....)

Nothing .... I'm getting nothing, no I mean I'm really getting nothing

Concentrate
Mark thanks for the tips.
Finally get this!i can only say WoW..simple,direct,clever, tomorrow I will play with this all the day! :)
I just gone done watching this & I think it's great!

Several variations are taught that are all excellent.

If your avoiding this because of all the talk about a playing card being used, the gaff is very clever(pretty much invisible) & spectators/helpers DON'T CARE if a card is used.

I am going to use the hell out of this.

Mike
I just picked up a pile of paperbacks from a local thrift store for $5.00, I cant weait to get everything together & start doing this.

Mike
Just passed the wife test, she said it was mind blowing.

I did the Pegasus page variation with the initialed page ending up in my wallet.

This is a keeper.

Mike
I suggest doing a book test with only an imaginary book.
I have the gaff made up with business cards so I can do it completely "impromptu" was at a friends house the other night and had done a few effects then I borrowed a book and did this. Floored them completely. This is my best purchase in a long while.
[quote]
This is my best purchase in a long while.
[/quote]

I'd like to say again that this is wonderful! Big potential,great reactions and also the DVD is well made and Steve is very funny while he teaches you every detail of the effect. Also for me this is my best purchase in a long while :)
I bought it cos I enjoyed the argument on this thread...

anyway - I think its quite clever, and have used the bookmark version (as its the only one that feels right for me)....and don't forget, most paperbacks use the same font, and some even tell you the typeface used somewhere in the book...

so with some time and effort, and some photoshop work - you could quite easily print onto some blank pages cut carefully from a book, and create your own specialised gimmick if you wished to...
This is very good indeed :)

does anyone knows where to find that swap/switch wallet Steve uses? Can't find anywhere...

thank you!
I received this recently and really like it. I like both the card gimmick and the business card gimmick ideas. I have three different prepared for each.
I absolutely LOVE this effect. The DVD is very well done and the idea is amazing. I will use this over and over again (well, not in front of the same audience). Brilliantly conceived book test.
I like the fact that is can be repeated with different outcomes.
KJ
Would anybody who owns this be ale to tell me if you would be able to gimmick up a card and have It in your deck while performing other effects and then introduce it into proceedings when you want to do the book test?

Thanks in advance
I have accidentally performed other effects with a booked gimmick in the deck. For the most part you could perform with the booked gimmick in the deck and could even use the gimmick as a key card.

Mark
Nice one.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my question mark.
Just got this in the mail yesterday - it was fascinating to read the full spate of reviews here from the beginning. Quite a turning of the tides.

This looks to be a winner as I am trying to incorporate a BT into my act. I bought Larry Becker's FF recently which looks great except I'm not sure if I want to use 3 books that are interdependent.
I'm reading lots of negative opinions of this product. Let me please just say that I picked this up about a month ago, and I'm very happy with my purchase. Many people are saying that this is an old method, it's nothing new, etc...etc... Well to someone who is not familiar with the method, it IS new. I have been using this since I bought it with great success!

This is one of those products where the method is so simple once you learn it, you can spend more time you to concentrate on your presentation, which with this is only limited by your imagination. Mr. Valentine gives several ideas for presentation premises, and in my opinion has also given an excellent value. I know there are a lot of more "sophisticated" Book Tests out there, but for my money and performing style Booked is the one for me!
Wow was this a *GREAT* purchase.

Fabulous instructions, exceptional and very entertaining ideas and teaching by Steve Valentine - easily one of the best things I have purchased in the last few years.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!! FIVE STARS!!!

(am I gushing?)

Did this at a party last night for a large group of 20 year old's and the reactions were off the charts. I love the method, the gaff, and SO many fantastic ideas offered by Steve on the DVD.

This is a winner, and what Collins Key did on AGT only scratches the surface of what this method can do. I also like that it packs small and plays BIG. Borrowed book? Sure, although I would prefer to bring a 2-3 of my own books for reasons purchasers will understand.

Booked has won a big place in my heart.
I preform Booked every weekend and I is one trick that everyone talks about. I am begged for "how did you do that" after every show.

Thanks Steve for making a great DVD.

John
I have just had a chance to view this and although not road tested yet I feel this will be one of my best purchases this year. A lot of book tests require memory work which I struggle with so this method suits me perfectly .

Well done Steve for releasing a great effect at a good price.

Barry
I love this so much that being able to hide a booked gimmick was a major consideration in the design of my new business cards.

Mark
Hi, I am aware of Thought Xtractor by Nick Einhorn but do not have booked. does anyone have both to compare as I really like Thought Xtractor. Thanks, Mike
Hmm looks like I'm going to have to buy that now. My gut says they both use the same form of gimmick but the routines are different. If you have booked you could reproduce nicks routine. However that would be unethical because had I not just seen the trailer for Thought Xtractor I wouldn't have thought to do that with a booked gimmick (I don't know if Thought Xtractor uses the same gimmick as booked because I don't have it but booked is capable of that routine).

Personally I say buy both for around £30 you get great book tests that you can use with any book and it is very difficult to find even on book test for £30. Even if they use exactly the same gimmick both Steve's ideas and Nicks routine are well worth the pittance that both guys are asking. Personally I think booked is under priced and from the trailer I would say that is equally true of Nicks routine. If I had paid £35 quid for Booked I would still be a very happy customer. My gut tells me the same it true of Thought Xtractor.

Mark
Does anyone ever have the issue of a spectator who gets suspicious of the bookmark?

Regards,
Mike
It all comes down to handling and I make sure that as well as handling the card casually I make sure I flash both sides of the card. If the spectators suspect anything it's a mirror on the back of the card. I take the business card out of my top pocket, after they have looked at the word I put the card in my top pocket then almost as an afterthought I take it back out and hand it to them. It only dips in my pocket for an instant and looks like I never let go of it. If I'm using a borrowed book the card dips into my pocket as I offer the book back and then immediately comes out and I insert it into the book for them to keep as a bookmark.

Mark
[quote]
On 2013-11-22 00:33, insight wrote:
Does anyone ever have the issue of a spectator who gets suspicious of the bookmark?

Regards,
Mike
[/quote]

I've never had anyone suspcious of that - it is hidden in plain site. Why would they be?
I agree that it all comes down to handling.

Regards,
Mike
[quote]
On Aug 5, 2013, saysold1 wrote:
Wow was this a *GREAT* purchase.

Fabulous instructions, exceptional and very entertaining ideas and teaching by Steve Valentine - easily one of the best things I have purchased in the last few years.

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!! FIVE STARS!!!

(am I gushing?)

Did this at a party last night for a large group of 20 year old's and the reactions were off the charts. I love the method, the gaff, and SO many fantastic ideas offered by Steve on the DVD.

This is a winner, and what Collins Key did on AGT only scratches the surface of what this method can do. I also like that it packs small and plays BIG. Borrowed book? Sure, although I would prefer to bring a 2-3 of my own books for reasons purchasers will understand.

Booked has won a big place in my heart.
[/quote]

Just joined the Café, many thanks for the kind words
steve
Welcome !

I use booked now at every strolling gig as well as parlour or stage. It's power and flexibility are unmatched. People love it.

Looking forward Steve to your future ideas and releases.
[quote]
On Apr 3, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
Welcome !

I use booked now at every strolling gig as well as parlour or stage. It's power and flexibility are unmatched. People love it.

[/quote]

Interesting to hear! Which version are you doing?
I never leave home without a booked gimmick.

Mark
[quote]
On Apr 3, 2014, aukt wrote:
[quote]
On Apr 3, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
Welcome !

[/quote]

Interesting to hear! Which version are you doing?
[/quote]

I use tituba and a playing card and bookmarks. I gave about 6 gimmicks and books and use books based on the audience. For example at a show in Norway last week I used 50 shades if gray! The word was innocent but since it was a 4 letter word it was a hell of a lot of fun anticipation 😍
I received this 2 weeks ago and have used it in all 5 of my regular weekly pub gigs. In my youth I primarily focused on magic and sleight of hand, even competing in large events, but now 20 years later mentalism suits my style much better. I still perform magic but bring mentalism sensibility to every effect giving a plausible explanation for evert effect in a back story. Mentalism has made my magic far more believable. I never feel the need to prove my hands empty anymore.

Conversely, a highly confident proficiency in sleight of hand has vastly improved my mentalism too. I perform a modified "hardcore" version of this effect. I prepare a business card completely covered on both sides allowing for two predictions either with the same book-different spectators, or different books. After pa**ing playing cards for years a business card size feels nonexistent. They never even know its there.

I always either do a Q&A mind reading OR a sealed prediction given ahead of time to a spectator. As someone mentioned previously doing both doesn't make much sense. I have played with the torn out page at home but although it would baffle laymen, it is clearly a magic thing to me and would cheapen the effect as a mentalism piece. I have performed this piece probably 60 times in two weeks (I have about 20 force words made up on cards) both with borrowed books and an with an assortment of paperbacks I provide and allow people to choose from and with good presentation it is a miracle....especially impromptu with their book.

If you use a business card or playing card as a marker watch your angles a bit and don't worry about proving it's normal. People see business cards and playing cards all the time. If you act like its normal they will have no reason to think otherwise.

Better yet work a little on soyou cad me sleight of hand skills and avoid any page marker debate at all. Just your hands your brain and a borrowed book and perform an impossible reading.

Mentalists and magicians could learn a lot from each other INHO
I did booked/Pegasus at a wedding this weekend, and produced the torn page out of a croissant that was sitting on the table. A knockout.