(Close Window)
Topic: Best Trick with a Straw
I'm looking for a trick with a straw suitable for strolling around and noisy places. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Academy
Bill Goodwin has a sweet broken and restored straw paper in one of his lecture notes. I believe it is in his 1988 set. Also included in the notes are his Cannibal Cards and four to one. Both awesome card tricks...

S.Segal
Psycho-Straw!!!!
What I do is move a straw in someone's drink without touching it...Gets great reactions.
OK, an impromptu cigarette/cigar routine using the straw...doing the pivot vanish and having it come back somewhere else, etc.

Or try Sankey's trick with a half dollar and a straw on his [i]Revolutionary Coin Magic[/i] video. It rocks and is done with a normal straw.
Academy,

I hesitate to mention the 'ol beginner's magic trick of cutting a straw that has a string that is threaded inside the straw. The straw gets cut; the string does not.

Mike
How about the straw up the nose? Just replace half a straw with the match up the nose and make your own noise! :lol:
Plastic surgery by Jay Sankey!!!
I just remembered: Another great trick with a straw is Petrick's (of Petrick and Mia fame) "Straw Through Card" effect. He originally put this effect out in approximately 1982 (?) so it might not be available any longer.

The audience "sees" an ungimmicked straw being placed up against an ungimmicked card and then the straw visibly, silently and smoothly seems to just melt into and partially through the card.

The only potential downside is that the card and straw can not be handed out for examination unless you can clean up by switching out both the card and the straw. If you can do that, this is a killer close-up effect.
What do you think about applying JPT principle to a straw?

Marky 707, I like your idea. Can you give me more details? Thanks.
Applying misled principle to the straw...why didn't I think of that!!!
Appearing Straw :bg:
Straw Thru Chin. This is a very cool illusion taught in [i]Magic for Dummies[/i].
I do a trick using two straws where you wrap them around each other, then holding the two ends pull them apart, and apparently they penetrate each other. I don't know the name of it but I saw it in a Jay Sankey lecture last year. He said it was a very old trick, and he used it for inspiration for his rubber band and pencil effect shown in the best of DVDs.
Hey, who stole my misled straw idea! I have been using it all the time, great effect!
Magician81 & Indrid:

Hexes to both of you! :lol: RATSRATSRATS! I also have been doing a version of Misled with straws, thought I was the only one but just goes to show that when magicians think (it does kill, doesn't it?). Load it back into the paper sleeve, if you can, to give it a spur-of-the-moment feel...

Bryn
But I always think that a straw going through a bill??? as you all know a straw is a round-ended object, not a pointed object such as pencil.

what I mean is that when a straw is able to go 'through a bill', it's seems to be a 'too perfect theory' to me, consider d softness of a straw....well just my thoughts.....

anyway it's a great effect. after going through d bill, dun even hand d straw out for examination.....immediately put d straw back into d drink n enjoy your coke......n blurp........
Magician81 that is the reason why it should be presented like JPT and not like MISLED.
Academy,
Try Nathan Kranzo's "Tornado Straw" off his Visual Voodoo DVD.
Harkey's Spotweld is very clever, yet a little painful to set up.
Straw stabbed into Potato!
The Nathan Kranzo tornado straw trick is pretty cool for a spur of the moment kind of thing in a restaurant. I've used it a couple of times just as a quick thing and people like it a lot.
Thanks Kevin!

If you let a couple ice cubes fall as you do the penetration they'll really freak out!

Best,

Nathan
Malini used to do a torn and restored wrapper from a straw. That is still a good trick.
Straw and pencil. The static effect.

:xmas:
Turk brought up a great trick. It's Petrick and Mia's Straw through card. Unfortunately, not too many people know about this, and I'm not sure if they still make it.
I inherited one a few weeks ago and have played around with it, but not performed it.
It's a great effect, a straw goes through a playing card right in front of their eyes. Immediately after pulling the straw out, you can show the card front and back (without switching). If you want them to be able to examine everything in detail, it's going to require switching.
However, the routine that comes with the trick is ingenious and makes it seem as though a card was selected at random, and that the spectators were able to examine the straw completely!
It's a great effect, see if you can find it!
A vanishing milk trick/ghost drinking milk, using a gimmmicked straw.
It's described in Practical Mental Magic by Anneman.
"Bullet Catch" done by Scott Alexander on his Midnight Show DVD using a straw and some falsh paper. very nice effect.
You can use IT with straws to great effect. There's the old rising straw from a bottle or glass. (You could say that the beverage in the container was heavily carbonated!) This can be done with an ITR or a LeClair hookup. Michael Ammar shows an effect with loops on one of his Thread videos. I believe it is called the static straw.

Another idea is to do the rising ring on a straw -- normally done on a pencil or wand. Why not a straw?
Petrick & Mia 's effect is explained in their recent DVD's and very visual and clean.
[quote]
On 2004-11-22 12:19, magicinsight wrote:
"Bullet Catch" done by Scott Alexander on his Midnight Show DVD using a straw and some falsh paper. very nice effect.
[/quote]

Absoluetly! !
That trick alone is worth the price of the DVD.
Highly recommended.
Depends on what exactly whats going on. If you have the peoples attention I would reccomend either a PK straw effect, straw going across table, straw falls out of glass... etc. This can be done with a simple Loops method... I won't go into detail without risk of exposing but you might want to check that out, the loops system is great for a lot of purposes. Another idea can be found on Darwin's Encyclopedia Of Thumb Tip magic. It can be found on Penguin Magic. It is on volume 2 and is called the straw production. Not so creative on the name but it is a quick visual production of the straw. There are 2 variations one where the magician shows his hands empty, then reaches into his fist and produces a full sized straw from the fist. The other method is kind of like a misers dream production of the straw where the magician grabs a straw out of thin air. The angles are a little iffy on this one but there aren't any fancy palms or anything. Either way loops and the Encyclopedia are both great sorces for magical knowlage so their worth checking out.
Thanks,
Aaron
Michael Close has on his "Workers" Videos a nice trick, where a shoe lacw penetrates a straw and the straw paper. Only the paper is destroied. A nice and quick trick.

Magixx
My kids have been rolling both ends of the straw around their fingers until they have a small bubble in the middle that is under high pressure. Someone else is asked to flick it and it make a very loud pop! Not magical, but an amusing stunt!

Purhapse like Aaron, a vanish can be done with a TT. It is not compressed, but held out of view. I think Fin John (sp) has this type of handling in his booklets.
My kids have been rolling both ends of the straw around their fingers until they have a small bubble in the middle that is under high pressure. Someone else is asked to flick it and it make a very loud pop! Not magical, but an amusing stunt!

Purhapse like Aaron, a vanish can be done with a TT. It is not compressed, but held out of view. I think Fin John (sp) has this type of handling in his booklets.
[quote]
On 2004-12-17 14:04, Kristof Limbo wrote:
Petrick & Mia 's effect is explained in their recent DVD's and very visual and clean.
[/quote]
Since you live in Europe, I'm not sure that those of us in the USA have had the access to the couple's early magic that you may have. I have known them since the early 80s in the USA. They have several great soda straw tricks. Two I like best are Straw through Playing card and moving straw on a table top.

For walk-around the straw through playing card should be a real consideration.

I saw Petrick & Mia a couple of years ago in Montgomery, Alabama. Petrick told me then that they were considering retiring from the lecture circuit. I hope that they have not. They are a really fresh creative force in the magic community.

Bob
Magic By Sander
Hi,

Diamond Jim Tyler published a Floating Straw routine in the "Linking Ring" and his book. I have the book, can't seem to find it though. So I can't give you the name of it.

I'd also like to add that Scott Alexander's "Bullet Catch" with a straw is GREAT!!!! Audiece Participation, Fire, and a terrific effect. What more could you ask for????

Michael Berends
PSYCHO STRAW isn't too bad...takes a bit of preparation.
you can find the booklet at most magic shops.
its by PHATAMOS, and its 14.95 at:
http://www.elmwoodmagic.com

It uses sleeves
it uses a tool
it look amazing
the prep is a bit of a pain
doesn't come with the neccessary tool
the straw appears to bend before your eyes!

Baba
There is a trick wiht impromtu magic books that you bend one straw over the other and make one penetrate through the other...possibly this would be ok for you
[quote]
On 2003-11-14 10:48, Nick23 wrote:
I do a trick using two straws where you wrap them around each other, then holding the two ends pull them apart, and apparently they penetrate each other. I don't know the name of it but I saw it in a Jay Sankey lecture last year. He said it was a very old trick, and he used it for inspiration for his rubber band and pencil effect shown in the best of DVDs.
[/quote]

I believe that can be found in Martin Gardners Encycolopedia of Impromptu Magic
I'd recommend Pyschostraw or the straw production from Encyclopedia of Thumb Tip Magic. Both are cool, visual tricks.
Harkey's straw routine in simply harkey
[quote]
On 2005-01-16 03:28, calexa wrote:
Michael Close has on his "Workers" Videos a nice trick, where a shoe lacw penetrates a straw and the straw paper. Only the paper is destroied. A nice and quick trick.

Magixx
[/quote]

I am aware of this but it is hard to get these straws here in the Philippines. Found some at Wendy's!
Look at penguin magic
This is my 50 post
I think what Willem is refering to is "The Sizzle" that they have on their site for download. It's a good effect. I saw it perfomed in a restraunt. I think it's probably the same as "spot weld" but I'm not sure. I can only give a review from the spectator end, I haven't actually performed it myself.

Sean
Straw through cheek. In Andrew Mayne´s "Schock FX" DVD! Amazing!!!
Ah yes, I should have thought of this one. Very graphic, always gets a good response. Thanks Bosco.
Petrick and mia straw thru card volume 4, I may buy this soon.
Removing a straw from a paper sleeve while pinching the the straw through the paper creates a static charge. Using your hand you can make it perform (movements) while it is balanced on a salt/pepper shaker. Remember to handle the straw before handing it out. Your handling of the straw will discharge the static effect. One last thing try not handle the straw after charging it, because it will discharge the static. Enjoy I've been doing this for 30 years or more. Simple but fun. :o)