(Close Window)
Topic: Mystery of the high hat
Hey everyone, Ebay has this starting bid at $ 85, I really want to pull the trigger on this.
But I cant really it worth that much money, I offered a little and he declined. Do any of you feel its worth that much? Where do you draw line when it comes to paying for? such items
I think that if you wait, the price will come down.
I just seen one listed for 149.00 new condition. I notice the 85.00 one has had the whole plastic thing with hat and chips removed and turned upside down and put back. The package didn't fall apart it has been opened and used IMO.

Richard
What I like about the trick is how you make the chips spread out from under the hat. You use the wand to move the hat and it feeds the chips out pretty neatly. It is almost like a mechanical gimmick although it is not.

There is a chinese knockoff of the trick that someone was selling on the auction site and they only sold for around 10 or 15 dollars.

I bought the $150 one a while back from the same seller who is selling them now for that price. I just realized that it was re-glued. These packages are ones that open like a book because the glue failed.

I was not happy with the gluing and I cleaned that up. Lost some interior surface cardboard, but for me, better than the glue.

I think the $85 one is the right price because it has OK packaging.

You can find it without packing for maybe half the price.

In fact I know someone who has a loose one and I PM'ed him with a link to this thread.
Sugawara always thinks like an engineer, so the way the chips slide out from under the hat reflects that type of thinking even though it doesn't require a special piece of apparatus to accomplish it.
I just received the Mystery of the High Hat that went for $85 - ot def looks like the glue had failed on the packaging as there was no ripping at all on the cardboard

I love the way they slide out - so cool!
You got a great deal on it for that price then. See it always go for much more. I almost bid on it but figured you were the one bidding. Nice effect the way they come out.

Richard
What do you think [url=http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300827851984]of this[/url]?
Knock-off or original?
I don't have this one, but just from looking at the Youtube videos it seems to use a principle well-known to card men. This is one of the few Tenyos that I have figured out just from watching a demo.
One is on the auction site.
[quote]
On 2013-05-26 22:19, WalterPlinge wrote:
I don't have this one, but just from looking at the Youtube videos it seems to use a principle well-known to card men. This is one of the few Tenyos that I have figured out just from watching a demo.
[/quote]

The principle is indeed well known. What makes this trick Tenyo-esque is that you can push the hat with your litle magic wand and all the chips line up perfectly when they reveal themselves.
The trick would have been really great when some sort of 'color deception' gimmick would have been used on some chips (http://www.magictricks.com/color-deception.html), but perhaps it would have been too expensive to produce.
Wow, "Color Deception" has really gone up in price. I got it for $8, in brass, a few years ago.
I don't think "Mystery of the High Hat" is worth $150, the buy-it-now price it is currently listed at.
I took some poker chips I already had, and with some paint made up the gaffs. I don't have the hat or the little wand, but now I can do the trick. I admit is isn't as cool as using the hat and the wand, but I can live with it.
The hat or some kind of cover is the only thing that makes it into a trick worth doing in my mind. Check novelty shops or where they sell items for weddings I have seen small plastic top hats for sale there in the past. Can probally also find a small plastic cup or container that would work.

As a trick you are probally right about its's worth, as a "collectible" trick that is getting tougher to find, perhaps :)
[EDIT] (I was writing this while John was writing his reply)

About Color Deception's, there are a lot of versions, only a few of them are really inspectable. My best version is a cheap, plastic one to be honest. Totally inspectable. It is made from plastic with silver painting. I owwn 4 versions (brass, silver, placic). I don't know what the 'platic' version is called I'm afraid.

Walter, Mystery Of The High Hat is Tenyo and collectible, it is worth 100 - 150 USD when new in package, trust me. Just a reminder, a lot of Tenyo collectors want this trick new in package and will never open it! You have to search for a used one, it will be less expensive and even it is used 100 times it will be ok because it can not break :) (for example, Mirage can and will brake after several performances ;), or Billscape will have traces of use on the plastic plates, ...).

Mystery Of The High Hat is a trick you should buy second hand if you want to perform it and only want it as a 'trick'.

David
I have a small plastic cup from a cups and balls set that the chips fit in, but they don't spread smoothly like I have seen in the demos. Probably because they are real poker chips and not designed to be slippery like the ones designed for the Tenyo. But I guess I can still use the cup as a MacGuffin to justify turning the stack of chips over and to take some heat off the chips themselves.
Mirage won't break if you handle it carefully.
It will break if you don't respect the plastic.
"Respect the Plastic"... could be a new catch phrase for Tenyo fans!:)
[quote]
On 2013-05-27 16:07, Killertweety wrote:
[EDIT] (I was writing this while John was writing his reply)

About Color Deception's, there are a lot of versions, only a few of them are really inspectable. My best version is a cheap, plastic one to be honest. Totally inspectable. It is made from plastic with silver painting. I owwn 4 versions (brass, silver, placic). I don't know what the 'platic' version is called I'm afraid.

Walter, Mystery Of The High Hat is Tenyo and collectible, it is worth 100 - 150 USD when new in package, trust me. Just a reminder, a lot of Tenyo collectors want this trick new in package and will never open it! You have to search for a used one, it will be less expensive and even it is used 100 times it will be ok because it can not break :) (for example, Mirage can and will brake after several performances ;), or Billscape will have traces of use on the plastic plates, ...).

Mystery Of The High Hat is a trick you should buy second hand if you want to perform it and only want it as a 'trick'.

David
[/quote]

I really only collect Tenyo for the "trick". I always open them right away and try them out.

My color deception is excellent and inspectable. It's really such a quick trick that as long as it is effective you don't need to spend a lot to get a higher quality one.
I have the original version from Europe. The brass has taken on a nice aged patina. They are now housed in a beautiful wooden box. The chips are set up to be the same color on both sides. I show them as an antique "collectible" that once belonged to a card cheat. "With these two chips he could unbelieveably cover any bet on the table. The white chip was a $5 chip, the black $10, (rub them) Red was a $20 chip (rub again)Green $50 (rub again) Yellow was $100 (final rub) and the very rare blue $1,000 chip. Have never seen another set of chips like this before, here take a look at a rare piece of gambling history..."
I have one purchased 30 years ago when I was a kid. I returned to magic few months ago and found it. I have the original instructions. I didn't know people collect Tenyo! I also have Zig Zag, bare bones (original box and instructions) and Squeeze Play (Original Box).
Few pictures: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1kotyee69rcooks/AaoB8Thn53
I have a new one, never used , going to advertise it on e-bay soon.