(Close Window)
Topic: Animal Trap
I was thinking about incorporating an animal trap into my the finale of my street performance. I wanted to get your opinions on whether having an actual trap is too dangerous to perform on the street.

Without giving too much away, I would actually be placing a deck of cards inside the trap. I intend to warn my audience not to approach the trap under any circumstances and to stress that it is a real, working trap. I'm also going to place it on a fold up stool so that there is no risk of someone stepping on it by accident. Do you guys think that that's enough?
Don't do it the liability sucks!!! Just kidding.
I'm assuming (!!) that you are referring to what Abbott callS the DARING SPRING TRAP.

I've used it inside on platform shows,but never in a street situation. An adult tip would probably have more sense than to mess with it, but if you have kids, or young teens, you could possibly have a problem.

A lot depends on how YOU can control the situation!

GEEK stuff might not be covered by liability insurance.
The trap I'm using is only slightly stronger than Abbott's, but the main thing about it is that it is larger. This is important because I can actually fit a deck of cards in it. I have sprung the trap on my hand before, and although it does not cause permanent damage, it does hurt a lot. I should also emphasize that unlike abbott's trap, in my routine the trap doesn't actually close on my hand. It is much more similar to Penn and Teller's performance.
I've done this on the street under the guise of "The World's Most Dangerous Card Trick". An effect where the spectators chosen card ends up pinned to my hand by the trap. This is the routine that I developed the "staple a dollar bill to your forehead" hat line for.

I got a fairly good reaction out of it and had a lot of fun doing it. The trap was under my control at all times. so I didn't worry about anyone else fiddling with it. I wouldn't leave a set trap out anywhere where someone could get close enough to touch it as they are dangerous and can seriously hurt someone.
I was also thinking about putting the trap inside a clear plastic box, so that people don't have access to it.
The other issue here is that ideally, I would like to set the trap and put the cards in, and then get chained up.
I also came up with a version of this and performed this over the years on the streets.
ironic Master Payne I too call it "The Worlds Most Dangerous Card Trick" more recently I filmed my performance at Twilight Cabaret in the UK.
Great minds think alike I know you have never seen me perform this and I have never seen you perform yours. :)
It was great fun sharing the stage with you last year in Las Vegas
I will also add that I never had trouble performing this on the street mind you I use the Classic spring trap.
I have used it to close street show's I prefer to use it in the middle of my show.

What you are talking about Brian with this bigger trap sounds to me like a whole different kettle of fish!
Danger finale plays well on the street if you can deliver it well. The rest is just crowd management.
I like your clear box idea!
I've recently decided to add it to my act actually, just keep it where they cant get to it and tell the children straight up not to touch one of these ever because they are very dangerous. start by putting a pencil in it, when they see the pencil snap they'll realize it can do some damage.
Funny, I have also performed this on the streets as The Worlds Most Dangerous Card Trick in different variations over the years. It goes over quite well. I even let a spectator set the trap the in some situations. I do this if I can find a hunter in the audience, this is often the case in Sweden and Denmark. This turns often into funny situations because they are not used to this kind of trap.
Once a big guy took the challenge to put his hand in the trap. He had hands like basket balls. Go ahead I said, thinking he was joking. He cleverly put his fist in the trap as it was snapping. Of course I made sure that he got all the applauds.
This is an interesting routine for the streets but there are several problems to be solved in the different faces if you want it to play really well, most prominently the demonstration of the danger and the finnish. It is not so good just to let it snap your hand.
By the way I never warn them not to touch the trap. On the contrary after the demonstration I invite them and encourage them with some funny lines.
If you are familiar with The 36 Strategies this is Open The City Gates and has an interesting psychology strengthening the routine if you play on it. Only once did it back fire as I described above, but even that time it turned out well with a different hero in the story.
I am pleased to announce in the next twenty four hours I will be releasing one of my routines for FREE "The Worlds Most Dangerous Card Trick"
This will be in the form of written instructions step by step explaining how I do it!
Better still Master Payne has given me permission to publish his routine alongside my own!
So that is two different routines called the "The Worlds Most Dangerous Card Trick"
and guess what - its FREE.
Mario
And how does one get this fabulous freebie, Mario?
Thanks you to get FREE written tutorial of The Worlds Most Dangeours Card Trick or you have to do is subscribe to my news letter and blog. http://eepurl.com/hhaAE
[quote]
On 2013-02-04 18:51, brianherb1 wrote:
I have sprung the trap on my hand before, and although it does not cause permanent damage, it does hurt a lot.
[/quote]

:lol:
In my routine there is a perfectly natural reason for the trap not to hurt as much, see if you can work it out why. Also there is a way to release tension from the trap, I thought best not to post how on hear. So if you like the tip, email me don't pm me on hear I hardly ever check them on hear!
My TRAPS-A-Monte-Mental routine is available again. Uses 3 traps.
$3 for the PDF. World Famous routine but off the market for awhile. It's back!
PM for the paypal address.
I've wanted to use traps for years. Now that I'm busking full time this is probably a good time. I wonder if I can get a trap shipped to asia. Where are you guys purchasing yours from? I heard Abbot so far...
Here are two routines you can read for FREE.
One is Master Paynes the other is my own.
Please do sign us to my blog while you are visiting.
https://mariomorrisblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/07/free-worlds-most-dangerous-card-tricks/
I have done it in New Orleans to easily stop people by a large rat trap. I would also put a bill in it to further interest people. It did bring the delinquent tap dancing kids around to want to attempt to get the bill out. I stopped using it because a discovered things that work for me better.
[quote]On Aug 17, 2014, Mario Morris wrote:
Here are two routines you can read for FREE.
One is Master Paynes the other is my own.
Please do sign us to my blog while you are visiting.
https://mariomorrisblog.wordpress.com/2013/03/07/free-worlds-most-dangerous-card-tricks/ [/quote]

Hello Mario, it seems the link is not working anymore, could you kindly point me to that material ?
thanks!
Hi DrVG,

Check out The School of Busking website, that is where you can get Mario's instruction download, lessons, and props.

https://www.schoolofbusking.com

Good luck!

Eldini
Lonnie Chevrie also has a trap routine on his Penguin Lecture. It's what inspired me to get one. I've done various versions of it...all using cards. Sometimes I have trap spring on my hand, other times not.

It's more impactful when it closes on hand, but found it contradicts the danger. If I'm telling the audience it's so dangerous, why am I not hurt? After they gasp, they conclude it's not that dangerous. So I'm reworking it, making it a story about my Great Grandfather who would sell his Iron Elixir: Makes for Strong Mind and Body. He would use the trap as way to lure spectators. I swig the Elixir during routine. So when trap closes on my hand, it explains why it doesn't crush it. Still working on script.

A couple of other things. I demo the trap by demolishing an "animal bone" (breadstick painted with white non-toxic paint). It looks impressive, and any crumbs are left for birds to eat.

I aslo distressed my trap to make it look old. I bought the plan steel trap from abbotts. I painted the edges with a rust colored paint. When dried, I cover the "rust" with vaseline. Then spray painted the trap with Rustoleum's Black "Hammered" paint. It gives it texture like hand forged trap. When black paint dries, wipe it down...the spots where the vaseline was comes off, and you're left with "rust spots."

Makes for a much more dangerous looking trap.
[quote]On Apr 13, 2020, imgic wrote:
Lonnie Chevrie also has a trap routine on his Penguin Lecture. It's what inspired me to get one. I've done various versions of it...all using cards. Sometimes I have trap spring on my hand, other times not.

It's more impactful when it closes on hand, but found it contradicts the danger. If I'm telling the audience it's so dangerous, why am I not hurt? After they gasp, they conclude it's not that dangerous.[/quote]

That's where I saw it, too - a hilarious routine. I'm not a card guy but that routine definitely made me want to buy a trap and practice!

This is a case where I feel it's fine that the audience concludes the trap's not seriously dangerous. Once it's snapped on your hand, and they've reacted, it's served it's purpose and you want to bring the audience back to "we're just having a bit of fun here", no?

In that routine, the snap [i]is[/i] the climax, and the reveal of the card is the "pressure release" of that anxiety/tension of the trap snapping.

On an artistic level, there's some value in letting it snap and having the crowd walk away thinking they'd just seen a guy shatter his hand, but on a theatrical/magical level it's a much better net result for them to walk away knowing it was all part of the show.

I've always believed that rules are there to be broken once you understand why they're there in the first place and in this case I think the trap serves it's purpose of causing anxiety and danger and fear, and then allows comedic relief of all that built up tension when it snaps on his hand. You kinda, somewhat, sorta know it's coming but if you've never snapped your hand in a leg hold trap, then how would you know it's not going to snap the magicians hand like the animal bone you just saw get dusted.

Plus, him revealing the card in the trapped hand is such a hilarious image.
I like idea of having the whole deck on the trap, instead of just one card as Lonnie does it. One show I has spectator pick a card, sign it. Control to top. Place deck on trap.

I then stole a piece of wax on tip of middle finger. Thrust hand down, drive middle finger into top card. Trap snaps shut tight onto hand. I yank it up, shaking it. Cards flying everywhere...people gasping, may have even heard a scream or two. When I stop shaking hand, only card I'm left holding is their card. It was beautiful. But impractical for street as I had to pick up all the cards...