(Close Window)
Topic: COMBUSTION - by Arron Jones (WizardFX Productions)
THE DEAD MATCH RE-IGNITES ITSELF IN THEIR HANDS!

A match is taken from a matchbox. It is then lit and blown out. A spectator holds the dead, blackened match, at their fingertips. They are invited to focus feelings of rage and anger towards the match. First it smokes and then a few seconds later it combusts and lights. They can then blow it out and keep it!

This is COMBUSTION. Created by Arron Jones

WARNING - Due to the nature of this product it is not to be sold to any persons under the age of 18.

http://www.worldmagicshop.com/COMBUSTION_by_ARRON_JONES_p/combustionaj.htm
Amazing. use it gimmicks? and need it refills?
Does look great I could see this in my act looks like it would be great for close up parlor or stage will be getting this.
Man, that looks good!
That looks great!!!
2 Thumbs up! I remember the old Phoenix matches that were burnt and you could re-light them by striking them, but the fact these light by themselves puts it over the top! Well done Aaron!
Did I have some of those on my birthday cake once? :) ...
Very nice! Hope someonme chimes in to anwser if this needs refills.........

RNK
Very impressive...interesting how it says you learn the techniques versus that we're buying gaffed matches
Not again. This is the third one of these I've seen. One of the chemicals is extremely dangerous. If you forget to wash your hands and scratch your eye or something you're screwed.
Are there timing issues with the combustion to consider or can you control when you want the Match to ignite?
Doesn't mention chemicals, more details would be useful.
If it is chemistry (which I think it is) then there's the issue of obtaining pyrophoric chemicals, especially in the US. There are some you can make yourself from "safe" materials, but they would be a bugger to handle. For an example, see: http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/4652 (Titanium Chloride).
It would be nice to see a picture of the matchbox or can the matches be kept in, and importantly struck on, any standard box?
Quantity supplied for the initial outlay?
Refill costs?
This looks great, but my major issue would be the timing and the controll over the "re-burn", and of course the preparation and conservation time. It would be important for me to be able to use it anytime, anywhere, with a minimum of preparation :)
[quote]
On 2013-02-15 12:03, Beltorak wrote:
This looks great, but my major issue would be the timing and the controll over the "re-burn", and of course the preparation and conservation time. It would be important for me to be able to use it anytime, anywhere, with a minimum of preparation :)
[/quote]

I think the effect is strong enough that I'd put up with quite a bit of inconvenience to pull it off. It also opens the door to variations where the black compound (I'm assuming here) is used on other things to make fire appear.
The Ad copy says, "They can then blow it out and keep it!" I would assume it has to be safe otherwise people would be very liable for damages afterwards.
[quote]
On 2013-02-15 11:17, writeall wrote:
If it is chemistry (which I think it is) then there's the issue of obtaining pyrophoric chemicals, especially in the US. There are some you can make yourself from "safe" materials, but they would be a bugger to handle. For an example, see: http://cameochemicals.noaa.gov/chemical/4652 (Titanium Chloride).
[/quote]

yeah that's the stuff from another trick I used. Made me very very sick.
Pre order from the world magic shop? You may be waiting a very long time.
Hi guys this is Tom Wright here,

I have to say this is awesome, I was lucky enough to be there whilst filming and the reactions Arron was getting was crazy.
he showed me this quite a few months back, I was gob smacked it looks so cool! And the delay is perfect.

I've been working this into my act recently and it's getting great reactions, it's so exciting to perform.
Ill also be demoing this at Blackpool as well as a couple of other products. Ill be on the wms stand so come and see me.

All the best
Tom :)
One plus is that it's 2013 and not 1975, so no one will have matches on them and ask you to do it with theirs.

If David Blaine did this on his first special instead of the bit quarter, those girls would have lost it.

I thought there was a chemical you coated the heads with that allowed a re-burn. am I thinking of something outside of a magic release?
Im sure its a switch of the burnt out original match than ring in the coated match as Zombie stated. Just a guess, the question again is how safe is the coating?
[quote]
On 2013-02-15 22:10, mysticalsales wrote:
Im sure its a switch of the burnt out original match than ring in the coated match as Zombie stated. Just a guess, the question again is how safe is the coating?
[/quote]

I agree! There is no way a match could be gimmicked and remain gimmicked after the match is burnt. The chemical applied would be burnt too. The burnt match is black so the chemical there can be the one we have seen to be used at all those type of effects (as a result this is something common for those of us who have tried similar effects in the past). Hope this will be easy to set up.
As a spectator, the first thing I'd think would be, "oh, that's just like a trick birthday candle". I don't see how this would mystify anyone. Maybe just me.
[quote]
On 2013-02-15 17:27, pegasus wrote:
[/quote]

It will be out at Blackpool, so only a week away. All pre-orders will be shipped the day we return from the convention, unless we can get some out beforehand!

The DVD is instructional, no additional props are supplied, as most you will already have, the rest are easily attainable on-line, or from local shops. This also keeps the cost down for you guys! If you don't have a single item from the list, it will cost about £15-£20 initially, with enough materials for 100's of performances. after that, it will be around £10 each time you need to stock up for another couple of 100 performances!

You can set up about 20-25 performance within half an hour. More once you get the hang of it!
[quote]
On 2013-02-16 07:17, GeneTony wrote:
As a spectator, the first thing I'd think would be, "oh, that's just like a trick birthday candle". I don't see how this would mystify anyone. Maybe just me.
[/quote]

That was one of my initial thoughts too. But I think if you add more time delay and fussing with the real burnt match before the switch, it gets past that. I'd have them try to ignite it and fail, maybe touch the tip to "see if it got hot from the mental energy," add another spectator, change their grip... lots of fussing around before the switch. I'd also add some defect to both matches to make a switch seem less likely (a sliver or blemish or something beside a pristine match).

Can you tell I really want this to work? Imagine it combined with something that bends in their hands (the type where they feel movement).

And a story line about so-called "firestarters" is a natural hook. It's got potential.
[quote]
On 2013-02-16 11:18, MarcLavelle wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-02-15 17:27, pegasus wrote:
[/quote]

It will be out at Blackpool, so only a week away. All pre-orders will be shipped the day we return from the convention, unless we can get some out beforehand!

The DVD is instructional, no additional props are supplied, as most you will already have, the rest are easily attainable on-line, or from local shops. This also keeps the cost down for you guys! If you don't have a single item from the list, it will cost about £15-£20 initially, with enough materials for 100's of performances. after that, it will be around £10 each time you need to stock up for another couple of 100 performances!

You can set up about 20-25 performance within half an hour. More once you get the hang of it!
[/quote]

That's good to hear, thanks Marc.
[quote]
[/quote]

GenTony, I think you're right on this.

Yes, some might be amazed. But many would think about the candles.
To avoid having it look like a mere trick birthday candle (as most people are familiar with), can this be perfomed with a brand new, unburned match? If it can, that would absolutely rule out the trick candle concept. Hand them a brand new match, and it ignites. I don't know the exact method, so I'm wondering if it could be presented this way.
That's a great idea actually Tony, lets hope it's possible with this.
I received the following answer from World Magic shop about using chemicals:
"It uses items and substances that should be only sold to over 18's."
If they know about relighting birthday candles, that could work in your favor. Remember that those candles can't be put out by just blowing on them. You usually have to squeeze or pinch it out. So after the match relights, you can, after the effect settles on everyone, just be sure to say, "Now; blow it out and it will never relight again" or "blow it out, for good."

Anyone who brings it up later can simply be reminded that the match was blown out, which you can't do with those birthday candles, I would remind them, because they always stay lit. Problem solved, maybe even a bit of a convincer if handled right.

[quote]
[/quote]
[quote]
On 2013-02-16 16:12, gitty wrote:
[/quote]

I think the effect could be very strong, but would like to know a bit more about potential health risks / safety of the chemicals or products used. This would not have to be exposure, but a bit of guidance such as 'non toxic by absorbtiion etc ' would be good..
Even a normal match is toxic if you inhale it the moment it lights up.

I doubt this is just like a relighting birthday candle as I see here a complete reaction; smoke is produced and ignition is taken place. The relighting birthday candles simply get relighted, not reignited.
[quote]
[/quote]

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I just don't see this as being a 'reputation maker' or really that magical at all. And if its such a reputation maker, why should I have to buy separate TV Performance Rights? That makes no sense.
The long delay before (re)ignition is what sets this apart from any other type of effect similar to this. Completely unlike the reigniting candles, which never actually extinguish.

It's a shame I'm not going to Blackpool as this would be my first purchase. With a half decent presentation this is a killer effect.

http://youtu.be/3Unkup7gG30
Great effect but I feel that the presentation in the video (the audience member's emotions causing the match to light) seems to take away from your role of the magician. I would just ask the audience member to hold on to the match to prevent me from touching it and doing anything sneaky. Then I would focus my mental energy and cause the match to light up.
[quote]
On 2013-02-16 15:39, GeneTony wrote:
To avoid having it look like a mere trick birthday candle (as most people are familiar with), can this be perfomed with a brand new, unburned match? If it can, that would absolutely rule out the trick candle concept. Hand them a brand new match, and it ignites. I don't know the exact method, so I'm wondering if it could be presented this way.
[/quote]

Hello, although the DVD does not go into any handlings for this: yes, it can be done with an unused match.

Regards

Marc
I agree, an unused match would be as good, if not better from a specs point of view.
[quote]
On 2013-02-17 14:40, pegasus wrote:
I agree, an unused match would be as good, if not better from a specs point of view.
[/quote]

Just to clarify, there is no mention of this on the DVD, you would need to do a little more prep though.

I personally think the re-light is the best, and it does not have to be done right away either! You could come up with your own routine where you light the match during a routine that uses flash paper (or another justified reason) finish whatever routine you are doing, THEN do Combustion with the used match, minutes after previously lighting it!
This has potential!
I perform 'In A Flash' by Jay Sankey and this could be nicely incorporated into the routine...
with the spectator then lighting the flash paper on top of the deck. Hmmmm... I think this
could really work!
I'm going to Blackpool on Friday so will check it out then. (the control over the delay being the main issue)
Mark, I presume the extra prep required would be understood after watching the DVD?
[quote]
On 2013-02-17 15:02, MarcLavelle wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-02-17 14:40, pegasus wrote:
[/quote]

Just to clarify, there is no mention of this on the DVD, you would need to do a little more prep though.

I personally think the re-light is the best, and it does not have to be done right away either! You could come up with your own routine where you light the match during a routine that uses flash paper (or another justified reason) finish whatever routine you are doing, THEN do Combustion with the used match, minutes after previously lighting it!
[/quote]

Doing the re-light minutes later makes this VERY appealing.
I love the look of this and I think the effect is killer... it's a definite purchase for me!
In the rare case you see someone who lights his cigarette with a match,
can you use this with a "borrowed" match?
It looks really good.
Its not something I would not perform anywhere but in the right situations this must be stunning!
[quote]
On 2013-02-16 16:12, gitty wrote:
[/quote]

Aha! Pictures of naked women then? I thought so.
[quote]
On 2013-02-17 16:16, Zombie Magic wrote:
Doing the re-light minutes later makes this VERY appealing.
[/quote]

It can be any amount of time later! Would definitely trump the relighting candle theory for any awkward spec's!
[quote]
On 2013-02-17 22:03, writeall wrote:

Aha! Pictures of naked women then? I thought so.
[/quote]

That's how we roll! :)

[quote]
On 2013-02-17 15:32, pegasus wrote:
Mark, I presume the extra prep required would be understood after watching the DVD?
[/quote]

I think so, yes! If, once you have it, you need any help, drop me a PM. I have to say that it was not its intended handling though!

[quote]
On 2013-02-17 19:12, ArtIn wrote:
In the rare case you see someone who lights his cigarette with a match,
can you use this with a "borrowed" match?
It looks really good.
Its not something I would not perform anywhere but in the right situations this must be stunning!
[/quote]

This could also be done, although you would have to come up with your own handling for it!
Hi,

For me it is the same effect I use from years (more than 10 years ago)
I learned it bying a trick of Henry Mayol ( you can see the video there : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nYSEP0sE4M )

The presentation is different (and new) but it is the same effect!

Again nothing new!!!
[quote]
On 2013-02-20 09:22, elierfr wrote:
Hi,

I learned it bying a trick of Henry Mayol ( you can see the video there : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7nYSEP0sE4M )

Again nothing new!!!
[/quote]

Hmm. Very interesting.
[quote]
On 2013-02-20 13:03, pegasus wrote:
[quote]
Hi,

Again nothing new!!!
[/quote]

Hmm. Very interesting.
[/quote]

Hmmm.. Wander if the Café police will show up anytime soon????????????
[quote]
Hi,

Again nothing new!!!
[/quote]

You can also just buy the books "Chemical Magic". The trick is in there, plus a whole lot more.

Randi
Many thanks Randi. I will do exactly that. The book is exactly a quarter of the price of the DVD.
Good luck with that "Oh crap I'm on fire" thing.
James

[quote]
On 2013-02-20 17:17, pegasus wrote:
Many thanks Randi. I will do exactly that. The book is exactly a quarter of the price of the DVD.
[/quote]
You can easily make 'fake struck matches' which is a normal unstruck match made to resemble a struck one.
I read this years ago in 'Paul Daniels' Adult Magic' book.
Then you can 're-strike' the previously burned match. No dangerous checmicals and a very similar effect.
Any spectator with half a brain will suspect chemicals are used with this self lighting match, wheras restriking a struck match may just be a bit more puzzling.
I have a big bottle of the "hard to find" chemical. Even though it's not really that hard to find and it's not going to bring in Homeland Security.
It's an old medicine that used be used for constipation. It's long been discontinued, but still can be found at an online chemical store.
The other half can be found at your local hobby store that carries soap making supplies.

One time I was a consultant for a local theater doing "*** Yankees".
Richard Kind was playing the devil and they wanted some magical things for him to do.
One of them was making his cigarettes light without fire, which was a trick put out awhile back called 'Flare'.
Which worked the same as Combustion.

People love to tell you how dangerous, toxic, deadly, or what ever this stuff is, but it's really not.
I mean it used to be medicine.
Is it good for you? no, but not any worse than any other chemical you have at your house that you are exposed to every day.

Now not to bash Combustion.
If someone figured out a way to put this stuff on a match, that's a valid adaption.
So I guess I am just saying... read books.

Randi
[quote]
Hi,

Again nothing new!!!
[/quote]
Got it too. And I thought about it when I saw the trailer.

Nice and fun to do trick. But a trailer trick.
I noticed on the Wizard Review the match heads were blue. Maybe this is common in other countries but I've never seen any color but red on a wooden match head. Can this be done with the red headed wooden matches available in the US?
That looks hot! Got my attention.
Am I being paranoid thinking that there is a minimal chance that a match could set off a sensitive fire alarm indoors (pub / restaurant / hotel)?

This looks good, but I'd hate to be the wedding magician that caused all guests to be standing outside for an hour...
I'm hot to hear reports from people who got this and have had a chance to try it out.

The value for me isn't in the secret here, but making the secret work as shown. I have a background in both chemistry and pyrotechnics, so I'm very familiar with the traditional ways to do autocombustion. However, knowing the "recipe" is much different than knowing how to put it all together and make if function. It's the difference between knowing about DF cards and learning stand up monte.

IF (big if) it really can be made to work like the trailer, I'm in and in in a big way. And let me remind everyone just how far we will go to produce an effect we like -- endless hours of practice, big bucks, threads and wires and batteries and magnets hidden all over the place. Complexities layered on complexities. Heck, I could easily spend a couple hours setting up something that would take a couple minutes to perform. Paper Crane moment? That's nothing. So bring it on, you can't scare me away -- if it really works as advertised.

Anxiously awaiting reports...
Yeah, what he said.

I guess I'm seeing a different set of applications than other people. I just worked a "Celebrity Waiter" gig and had candles on my table that I lit with a regular lighter. No one would have thought anything of it had I pulled out a box of matches, lit the candles, and tabled the matches. Then take out another match and say, "Let's try a little experiment..." and go right into Combustion. I think this would work for Weird Magic, Macabre Storytelling, Mentalism, and any other effect that uses fire and flash paper.

I'm keen to hear the reports from Blackpool, as well. Speaking of which: is there a live feed to the show, or a blog that posts pictures, or something like that for all of us poor suckers in the U.S. to gawk over?
Hi,
Just curious is this the same as the Gaetan Bloom thing given away free in Genii a while back?
Ade
I have just arrived back in Holland from Blackpool.
I will report on this either late tonight or tomorrow once I've had chance to watch the video.

Steve
Steve, wonderful to hear. I already bought some "strike anywhere" kitchen matches, for all of $1.35. Hope I didn't waste my money before the reviews come in. :)
[quote]
On 2013-02-24 10:46, monstercreations wrote:
Hi,
Just curious is this the same as the Gaetan Bloom thing given away free in Genii a while back?
Ade
[/quote]

^^ This
I've watched the DVD now.
I haven't had chance to try it out yet so can only comment on the theory side of things.

The effect IMHO is jaw dropping.
The preparation is a little bit more than a lot of effects and I can see some people being too lazy to do it.
I was worried about the availability of the things you need, but not a problem at all.
Quality of the DVD is ok and it gives you all the info you need.
There is one aspect of the handling I'd change, but nothing too critical.

For me this effect is not to be performed too regularly as that would reduce its impact if people had seen it the week before for example.
I think it's well worth the effort required but as stated above haven't actually got round to doin that yet.

Steve
Hey gang,

When I worked in nightclubs a hundred years ago (you know, when smoking was cool), I used to do that thing where you could tap the end of a cigarette against something (matchbox, card box, coaster, etc) and, after a few moments, it would suddenly ignite and look like a regular, lit cig. It was basically two substances, one you put in the end of the cig and the other, a clear gel, you would apply a tiny drop to something else. When they came in contact with each other, you had about 7 or so seconds before it would ignite.

What I used to do was take out a cigarette and a box of wooden matches. I would tap the cig against the box and let a spectator hold it by the filter end at arm's length. I would light a match and, as soon as I saw a wisp of smoke coming from the end of the cigarette, I would do that classic "move" where the match goes out by itself. You know, the one where you appear to blow the match out down your sleeve, except I wouldn't do that. I would just snap the fingers of my left hand while making the match go out with my right. It looked SO *** magical, as though the fire instantly transferred from the match to the cigarette.

I think that would look great with this. Light a match, blow it out and hand it to them. Light another match for yourself and make the fire jump from your match to theirs. You'd have to play with the timing, such as waiting a couple seconds to light your match, etc, since the move doesn't work that well if your match has been burning too long. Anyway, you're more than welcome to try this presentation if you want...

Best,

Chad
[quote]
On 2013-02-25 17:24, Chad Long wrote:
Light a match, blow it out and hand it to them. Light another match for yourself and make the fire jump from your match to theirs. Y
[/quote]

They should have consulted with you because that is BRILLIANT and makes this worth getting!
[quote]
On 2013-02-25 17:29, Zombie Magic wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-02-25 17:24, Chad Long wrote:
Light a match, blow it out and hand it to them. Light another match for yourself and make the fire jump from your match to theirs. Y
[/quote]

They should have consulted with you because that is BRILLIANT and makes this worth getting!
[/quote]

Thanks you, Zombie, much appreciated!

Also, if someone can't or doesn't want to do the move, they can simply blow or shake their match out as soon as they see the spectator's match start to smoke.

Best,

Chad
Brilliant thinking Chad.
A great take on the concept.
The only problem I see could be one of timing, as Combustion is a little too organic to be micro controlled.

Steve
That is awesome Chad, thanks you have made me start smoking again!
Just bought the effect which looks great on the trailer. However, I was disappointed that all you get is a DVD which expains how to make the props you require.

In my opinion this requires a LOT of preparation requiring handling some dangerous chemicals which I for one will not attempt.

Disappointed that Craig Petty and David Penn did not mention this in their World Magic Shop review No: 141, had they done so I would not have purchased it.
While I understand the dissapointment, I must say it seemed clear to me that a dealer cannot ship flammable materials through the mail (at least in the US) so I expected just a "how to" guide. Agree they should have stated it, but not terribly surprised that you have to procure materials. My gut is it might make more sense for the professional than the hobbyist sinec a professional might make a bunch of gimmicks all at once where someone like myself would likely use 1-2 at most per week. Just my $.02 :)
If I could have seen a demo at Blackpool I may have bought this , however health and safety and fire regulation put pay to any demo
So I opted to leave this one for now

Carl
[quote]
On 2013-02-27 15:42, carlwag wrote:
If I could have seen a demo at Blackpool I may have bought this , however health and safety and fire regulation put pay to any demo
So I opted to leave this one for now

Carl
[/quote]
Which was all rather strange as Illusion Craft were letting huge fire flares go off every 5 minutes .
On Facebook there are pictures of Arron demoing this in the dealers hall at Blackpool.
Yes I heard afterwards that they had a few time slots only to demo in . Unfortunately I missed those windows as was not widely known .
Got my copy today, I'm very pleased with the method and the effect is amazing. I think sometimes if the effect and the reactions are strong enough the set up is well worth the effort of doing what needs to be done to perform a miracle, I spent a long time learning sleights to vanish a coin or find a card so to me a few minutes set up time for such a good effect is well worth the time and a little money.
Although the preparation seems to be a long winded process, I choose to see this as a positive thing.There will be a lot of people who won't put in he necessary effort, meaning there will be very few people performing it.

Steve
[quote]
On 2013-02-27 15:00, Bande wrote:
While I understand the dissapointment, I must say it seemed clear to me that a dealer cannot ship flammable materials through the mail (at least in the US) so I expected just a "how to" guide. Agree they should have stated it, but not terribly surprised that you have to procure materials. My gut is it might make more sense for the professional than the hobbyist sinec a professional might make a bunch of gimmicks all at once where someone like myself would likely use 1-2 at most per week. Just my $.02 :)

[I could not agree more, the effect is likely to appeal to professionals who will use it regularly and will therefore see the value in spending time and effort, not only in preparing the props but also in transporting the effect which needs some care. At least one other contributor who asked if refills will be easily obtainable was under the impression as was I that the props would be provided with the effect.

In hindsight it may have been naive of me to expect flammable materials to be supplied via the UK postal service. However, I feel that the description of the effect and the professional reviewers should have made it clear that no props are provided. If anyone wants a cheap copy of Combustion please PM me.

PaulW
Does the setup for combustion last indefinitely or do I have to perform it within for example an hour since it's been prepped
How combustable is this once prepped for performance?

Thanks,
Dan.
[quote]
On 2013-02-28 06:46, Bondy wrote:
Does the setup for combustion last indefinitely or do I have to perform it within for example an hour since it's been prepped
[/quote]

Great question Bondy. I was wondering the same thing.
[quote]
On 2013-02-27 17:57, Stephen Young wrote:
Although the preparation seems to be a long winded process, I choose to see this as a positive thing.There will be a lot of people who won't put in he necessary effort, meaning there will be very few people performing it.

Steve
[/quote]

Plus just how expensive this is. Not many at all I would imagine.
I like the look of this but have a few questions for anyone who owns it. The demo implies a match is lit, blown out, which then magically relights. Is this the case or is a substitution required?

Also is this an old effect repurposed, or is it completely new thinking?

My last question is to do with contamination and storage, do I need to store it carefully after set-up and will I need to wash my hands straight after performing?

I just want to say this looks wonderful but would be very grateful if anyone is able to answer these questions (and the ones above, exactly what I wa thinking!)
[quote]
On 2013-02-27 17:57, Stephen Young wrote:

Steve
[/quote]

Steve,
Not to be a nooge, but will you post if you ever get this to work as well as shown in the video?
So it doesn't work as advertised?
I wouldlove to see a review too. my guess is that there is a necessary delay in the lit match blown out and the handing of the magical match to the spectator.
[quote]
On 2013-02-15 10:48, DougNicols wrote:

[b]One of the chemicals is extremely dangerous[/b]. If you forget to wash your hands and scratch your eye or something you're screwed.
[/quote]

No dangerous chemicals are used. My only concern is the prep time & effort involved.

[quote]
On 2013-02-28 11:46, pegasus wrote:

So it doesn't work as advertised?
[/quote]

It works as advertised (WYSIWYG) provided you follow the instructions on the DVD. The effect is worthwhile if you are willing to put in the time & efforts.

:xmas:
[quote]
On 2013-03-04 22:58, Ustaad wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-02-15 10:48, DougNicols wrote:
[b]One of the chemicals is extremely dangerous[/b]. If you forget to wash your hands and scratch your eye or something you're screwed.
[/quote]
No dangerous chemicals are used. My only concern is the prep time & effort involved.[/quote]

I guess everyone has their own definition of "dangerous chemicals".
The chemical I and many others here have in mind ("P.P.") has the following EU classification (according to Wikipedia):
[list]
[*] Oxidant (O)
[*] Harmful (Xn)
[*] Dangerous for the environment (N)
[/list]

I know you guys are quick to consider a question "fishing", but I'd like to know whether or not this uses "P.P."
There are a lot of questions being asked, that I would also like to know the answer to.

Surely somebody that has this could chime in :)
Once more into the fray. Blackpool finished a couple of weeks ago. Surely someone has the product and tried to make it work as shown?

Have the used copies started showing up for resale yet? Sans a user report, that's the only other metric I can think of.
Looks good but I would like to know if the relight timing can be controled or not.
My guess is the delay is due to getting extra stuff, likely not easily available. those that are willing to give a true try, may not have collected the bits to put it together.
I have it...

Though there is a disclaimer and the teaching is done in one take, I do think it has its dangers...

No measurements of any kind, 'some' or 'so that its wet' is not a good sign... Nor is suggesting doing something with some sandpaper over newspaper...

Not even a suggestion of carrying it all in a tobacco tin for safety's sake...

Its all taught, but if you want precise detail and safety tips...look elsewhere.

Not for me. Nor for my scientist friend who was more than a little shocked.

The effect works, the procedure works...just....risky in my opinion

and the ruination of dragging aristotle through a pub gig made me a little sad inside...as did the idea of asking someone to dredge up a real moment of anger...

Just my views...
And I'd love a refund...but not asked yet...
Well, there is a reluctance to doing this....due to safety concerns and "imperfect" instructions....
This sounds interesting, whether new or not.

However, I am interested in the book "Chemical Magic". I tried to find it on the internet, but I came up with several hits. Can anyone tell me the author of this particular book referred to in this thread?

Thanks,

KJ
I have an ebook of Chemical Magic by Leonard Ford
Yes, there are several books "Chemical Magic".
Which is the right one?

This question was just posted, but nobody did answer: The prepared match (I think you have to prepare one), how long can it be prepared before? Can I prepare a lot of matches for example for the next 100 times I will use them and use them within a year? Or do they have to be prepared a small time (only 1 or 2 ours) before the "show"?
Squando,

Hi. I ordered the Leonard Ford book thinking this might be the one, if not, it still looks interesting.

Is the Leonard Ford book "the one"?

Thx.

KJ.
I think it is the classic, but don't know the others.
[quote]
On 2013-03-11 13:47, IAIN wrote:
[/quote]
Good luck Iain. WPR like most other magic shops operate on the old chestnut "but you paid for the secret" BS.
[quote]
On 2013-03-14 13:50, pegasus wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-03-11 13:47, IAIN wrote:
[/quote]
Good luck Iain. WPR like most other magic shops operate on the old chestnut "but you paid for the secret" BS.
[/quote]

"you paid for the secret" is from the old days when shops sold junk. It's a hangover from the past. If I was sold something dangerous/misleading and a shop wouldn't take it back, I'd never shop there again.
I kinda disagree that if you don't like the effect or can't use it you should get a refund, it's kind of the nature of the beast. If you're unhappy with it maybe treat it as widening your knowledge, then flog it on eBay. Just a suggestion but it's how I've learned to look at purchases I've been disappointed with.

One question, the effect doesn't come with TV rights & I was wondering which part of the effect this covers, is it the secret, the application or both?
T.V. right?? If your going to sell something for everybody then you should have all the t.V. rights you want. If someone would to perform this on T.V. there would be nothing they good do. Would not stand up in court.
Don't buy this if you live in Canada The chemical almost impossible to find...
I guess you can prepare a lot of matches and a long time before the show, BUT during (or just before) presentation you have to put on some chemicals to make the final ‘combusting mix’. At that point the time starts to run down to the moment of combustion…

My question to someone who owns this:

1. Am I right? And if I am, how long do I have from the moment I made the final mix?

2. Do they give tips on how to transport and how to apply the chemicals easily AND SAFE?

John
One more question:

I really think combusting a normal UNLIT match is a MUCH better demonstration. At least this is how I would prefer to do it. Just take a match and light it by pure concentration!

A drawback would be if the match would light to fast, that's why my question number 1 (above) is so important.

I guess the chemicals will color the tip of the match (dark or black), and that’s why they integrated the already lit match to the routine. Witch for me is a step back. Maybe more magical, but less mental. Also an already lit match should not make the sound a new match does. Everybody knows the sound is from the chemicals that are only on a normal new unlit match. But the striking material is already gone, so this does not make sense!!!

So my question is:

3. Do I have to paint the match to look like a normal match?
And is there anyone that has tried this with good results? (Please let me know)

John
There has been no real review of this ...other than by a retailer. Anyone willing to share?
I did order it, and I will do a review after I have used it...
BTW I hope I can get the chemicals easily...

Anyone in the Ntherlands that could find them?
[quote]
On 2013-04-01 19:39, Dr. Eamon wrote:
[/quote]

Appreciate that. I'm particularly interested in whether or not you can duplicate (reliably) what is shown in the demo. Information about limitations also welcomed.
Same boat as you Dr Eamon.

Watched the DVD but not really tried sourcing the stuff.

Steve
@Steve

If you did find them, I hope you let me know. I will send prove of oening the DVD (that will receive in about a week...)
[quote]
On 2013-04-02 13:30, writeall wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-04-01 19:39, Dr. Eamon wrote:
[/quote]

Appreciate that. I'm particularly interested in whether or not you can duplicate (reliably) what is shown in the demo. Information about limitations also welcomed.
[/quote]

I will answer all questions I had myself in my posts above. And it will be an honest review, not sparing the developers/producers in any way (like many do :) ), but naturally I will also give my complements if things are positive.
Well, I'm starting to think I blew my cash. Just received by DVD of Combustion and living in Australia, if it involved hard or impossible to source chemicals (everything is impossible to source over here) then I think I just bought a $30 frisbee. Tempted to not open it and send it back. ie: I didn't get the secret, I didn't even open it'. In my opinion, this product is a bit dishonest.
Hi all,
Anyone performing this in the U.k. ..if so can you tell me where you get the extra long matches from? ....and has anyone used it just with the standard size match ..if so how good is the effect?

Thanks
[quote]
On 2013-04-12 10:06, goshawk wrote:
Hi all,
Anyone performing this in the U.k. ..if so can you tell me where you get the extra long matches from? ....and has anyone used it just with the standard size match ..if so how good is the effect?

Thanks
[/quote]

Sainsbury's, matey. Look in the kitchen isle for Cooking Matches.
Received it and will take a look soon...
I promised to do a short review about this, but I have not done it myself yet! It looks like it’s a lot of work and I’m not sure if the chemicals are easy to obtain.

You will need normal matches and XL matches, and you have to do some working on the matches before applying the chemicals. You need to mix chemicals, put it on the matches and spay them with hairspray. Than a special kind of oil has to be in a matchbox, ready to be used during the performance. Everything has to be done with great care and looks a little dangerous, just be careful. It has to be done at least 3 hours about before the show (that’s what it takes to dry).

From the moment you mix the last two chemicals that will lead into the combustion (during performance, easy to do and well motivated), it will take about 10 to 15 seconds for the match to light. Again this is what is told and shown on the video, and I have not been able to test this myself because I don’t have all the precise materials/chemicals yet…

Even if this takes some work and special precaution, I think if you perform this, it will be great and people will love it.

Best,
John
Another thing is that I have NOT found a way to do this with an unburned match, because the chemicals will color the tip black.

Ideas to make it work with an unburned match are very welcome :)

[EDIT] In the studio performance the delay was 30 seconds!
Finally got round to making this. effect - looks great but am I gonna use it. nope. I think I would feel very nervous at a gig with this in my pocket! complete ball ache to make too. (purely my opinion, would love to hear of anyone that is having success with this?)
So I finally made a batch of the prepared matches, I am not sure though if it'll still work after few more days. Will inform you about it in few days.
Standing by
When you have the time and nerve to get all the stuff to create your matches, this is a great effect!
WMS are giving this away free with another DVD until Friday midnight
Has anyone out there done this in their act any feedback welcome
Like Squando, I'm patiently waiting on nomermindmaster to report back on his findings.
I have never heard of a person that uses this. Wish someone would chime in.
[quote]On Dec 24, 2013, milesart wrote:
When you have the time and nerve to get all the stuff to create your matches, this is a great effect! [/quote]

I spent a few days searching . Worth the effort but I am quite surprised those " special " matches could be found in cold storage ... As for those " ch******s ". , it is pretty easy to find although I spent 20 bulks on the p******* p********** .