(Close Window)
Topic: Del Ray passes
[quote]Del Ray (Delbert Raymond Petrosky), one of the world's greatest close-up workers, died Tuesday, November 18, 2003 in his home town of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. He had been in poor health for nearly a year. He is survived by his wife, Ann, and some siblings. A private memorial service is planned for Saturday.[/quote]

Del Ray truly was one of the best close up performers of all time--many in the know would say THE best--as well as one of the all-time great stand-up performers. IMO, he is in a very elite group with the likes of Fred Kaps as one of the very best all-around magicians in the history of our art. This is truly a great loss for magic, and he will be sorely missed. One of the few who deserves the title; "LEGEND."
Just for a matter of record, there has been some confusion over the date of Del's Passing. It was confirmed today from a very close friend of the family that Del Passed away early evening this past Tuesday, Nov 18, in Pittsburgh (not on the 11th as originally posted). A family-only memorial service is planned for Saturday the 22nd in Pittsburgh and a short obituary is in today's Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. http://www.post-gazette.com

Those interested in posts from local Pittsburgh Magic and friends of Del are invited to join the thread at the Greater Pittsburgh Magic Network Yahoo Group. Visit http://geocities.com/thegpmn and click on the link at the top.

Nicholas Carifo
Wow, I feel terrible. I saw him work at a Tannens Jubilie years ago. His close-up was amazing and I was inspired by his methods.

Roumor was that he had a minor heart attack before his stage show...but still went on.

He will be missed. :(

Jeff :pout:
About a week and a half ago, at Darwin's Midnight Magic Club here in Vegas, we had two wand-breaking ceremonies, one for Del Ray, and one for Jackie Flosso.

Rest in peace, Del.

Rest in peace, Jackie.
Would but Del's last words have been—to quote the catch line from his immortal close-up act—"GIT READY WILLIE!"

Del Ray. An innovator and true original.

RIP, Del.