(Close Window)
Topic: Pain + time = comedy
These last two weeks, I have been dealing with a ruptured disc.

It reminded me of something my 80 + mother in law Ruthie said.

Tim Conway's old man's walk (ala Carol Burnett) used to be much funnier when I was younger.

Being funny and helping others laugh is continuing to exercise our funny bone.

After two epidermals into my lower spine, I am just starting to write a new bit.

What situation has happened to you that could be a future bit.
Good Gosh. That sounds painful as heck.

Do you do straight stand-up?

I've always found it difficult to seamlessly integrate pure stand-up into a magic show. Sure, most of us can easily create funny situations during the course of a magic show, and make references and jokes regarding what we're doing (which is pretty much the definition of comedy-magic, IMHO)...

I kick the show off with straight stand-up, while we (myself and the audience) get to know each other, but my onstage persona becomes so frantic deeper into the show, that I've always found it difficult to interject a stand-up bit into the show between tricks. It almost seems "forced," if that makes sense. My character NEEDS to be constantly doing something.

I find that doing any more than 4 or 5 quick jokes between tricks is about my personal max, or my fast-paced momentum of my actual magic loses steam.

I'd love to talk about more personal stuff and do more straight stand-up throughout my shows, but it just doesn't feel right for me.

Have you - or any other comic magicians - run into this problem?
Although I have done straight comedy it was years ago during the 80's.

After that I continued some work with an improv troupe as well as wrote and voiced parts of a comedy radio series.

Will pm with more details.

Harris
"What situation has happened to you that could be a future bit." Pain?

Married a lot. I marry women with low expectations. My first wife showed up at the wedding with a date.

If you got back problems this is a good time to bring out the old watch winder sound thingy. Or the neck cracker.
"If you're havin' back problems I feel bad for you son...
I got 99 problems but a disc ain't one."
[quote]
On 2013-03-07 12:35, T. Durden wrote:
Do you do straight stand-up?
[/quote]

With his back?

Seriously though, sorry for your troubles Harris.

I was trying to think of things that have happened to me that I turned into bits. Most of them are pretty mundane:

While in a car I got hit on the head by a Ferrero Rocher.

I googled "Tourist attractions in Larne"

I bought a monkey mask on a whim.

Last week I went to the beach with my girlfriend and her 5 year old son and I got him to write me some jokes on the train. Well, I wrote the set-ups and he gave me the punch lines, these were my two favourites:

How do you make a tomato fly?

Put it in a tomato gun and fire it at a nun.

why was the king crying?

Because he had to give a potato to Jesus.

George
^
He should write for Larry the Cable Guy
(Ya know - to make his act a little more intellectual).
I think kids can do surrealism better than adults, they're not trying to be surreal, they just are. I actually tried those jokes on stage on Monday (obviously telling the audience who'd written them first. They went down well.

Your question about getting the balance between stand-up and magic is an interesting one that I used to obsess about a bit. Someone's started a thread on it so I'll answer that there/
I'm not sure I've ever met a great comedian who wasn't in SOME sort of pain.
Who was it that said, (or wrote)

If comedy is good medicine, why are some comedians alcoholics?

Be safe, well and real!

Will the real

Harris

please stand up