(Close Window)
Topic: PHATHOM by Brandon Queen New Ebook
Hey guys,

I have known Brandon for awhile now, although we have never met, we chat every now and then on mentalism.
Brandon recently sent me his very first offering to our mentalism community, titled "PHATHOM"

So what exactly is PHATHOM?

Phathom is a 60 page ebook which contains Brandons mentalism creations, most of them propless.

The FORWARD to the ebook was written by Colin McLeod.

You are then treated to an introduction by Brandon and whats to come.

The first effect is one that many of you probably either heard about or experienced over the phone or internet.

TELEGUESIA

This is a propless effect in which you have the participant think of several items, and at the end you reveal a very nice meal that they have prepared for themselves only in their mind.

This is great, and Brandon showed me this effect a few months back, and he nailed my meal dead on, over FACEBOOK.

This also works on STAGE, and closeup, so it is not limited to only the phone or net.

The second effect is called R.A.M

Similar to Rapid Eye Movement, in which Brandon guides his participant to think of images, sounds, smells to piece together into a specific memory, in which later on Brandon describes the memory with precision.

Again, the same line of thinking from the first effect is seen here, and you can then decide if you wish to use this effect only, or both, and you get to pick and choose which of the two suits you better.

I personally will use both, since one deals with memories, and the other with meals and food.....different effects for different ocassions.

The third effect is my favorite of the whole book, called LACUNA.

If you all ever saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with Jim Carrey, well this effect has the same plot structure.

You cause a participant to think of someone, then you erase their memory and replace it with a new one.

I personally love this routine, and when I read it all I could see was Colin McLeod performing this routine.

The fourth effect is an extension on the first one, called TELEGUESIA 2.

Basically the same effect, but with a different outcome and premise, in which you ask a spec to think of some dining places, and at the end you not only tell them what meal they are eating(from first effect) but also what restaurant.

The fifth effect ic called Tea for Two, and is a telepathy experiment using 2 spectators, in which one spectator will try to divine what the other spectator has drawn.

Another great effect, that I had previously toyed with for a competition with Peter Turner, and definately worth a look, since this is similar to what Peter and I discussed but altogether different.

The last effect ocmbines a bit of mentalism and hypnosis, and is called Psycho Disphagia.

This is an effect in which you cause a spectator to not be able to swallow, and lots more is explained.

If you do hypnosis or have seen another prominent san diego performer use this technique you will know how its done, but Brandon adds lots of layers and thinking.

All in all this is a great ebook full of useful ideas, and subtleties, no matter if you do mentalism or hypnosis.

It will go on sale soon according to Brandon.

I will let Brandon chime in here.

Thanks

Alex Alejandro
Sounds interesting. Is it limited release?
Hi do you know the release date on this?
Sounds good.
Looking forward to it!

Kieran
Hey guys,

Just a bit more information on PHATHOM... This is not a limited release, however the E-book will be limited to only 30 copies for the pre-sale price. After the 30 E-books are gone, PHATHOM will be available in a physical book.

This will be available by next week. (Just waiting for the editors).

Thanks Alex for the review!

Just to clarify a couple things in a bit more detail;

R.A.M. is a drawing duplication based around memories. A person thinks of a memory and adds specific details only in their mind, then thinks of an image associated with their memory. The memory is then revealed in detail and the performer duplicates the image they only thought of in their head. The only props needed are something to write on, and something to write with or can be performed propless.

Teleguesia is simple and propless. Have a person take a mental journey into a grocery store. They buy a few food items, then cook a meal with the ingredients and of course you reveal detail by detail exactly what they prepared, including dessert.

If anyone has any questions feel free to P.M. me. Thanks!
If he ever does release this then look out. It's crazy good.
I watched Brandon perform some of these effects tonight...they are really strong and I was really impressed!

He was able to reveal things that he couldn't possibly know and was able to do things that aren't really possible!

It was truly amazing to watch him work...I can't wait to read this.
I was lucky enough to receive an early copy of Brandon Queen's "PHATHOM" for peer review several months ago and have to say that it's a gold mine of valuable information, strong propless mentalism and active working routines from one of the fields most talented and fastest rising stars.

I've known Brandon for a number of years now and have seen him perform every single piece taught in his new book, and this, with devastating results.

Will post more later..."PHATHOM" is a phenomenal first offering from BQ and I can only hope that he continues to share more of his work with the community.

Congrats, B!
BTW, I know Brandon isn't including it in this project, but he showed me a Zodiac divination last night that was one of the most unique pieces I've ever seen...I watched him do it twice and it was truly incredible both times.

I don't think there is any Zodiac effect using this method.
Hi Brandon what 's the price and your Paypal address ? :)
Hey eric6,

Although I'm not necessarily taking pre-orders, many people have already gone ahead and reserved their copy in advance. They are going much faster than I anticipated, however If you would like to reserve a copy now to assure you recieve the sale price, feel free to jump on board. Again just to clarify, the first 30 copies are discounted and the price will go up after these are gone. The e-book should be ready by the end of next week.

The pre-sale price for the e-book is just $35 and my paypal is: paypalusa@brandonqueen.com

Any other questions feel free to ask or P.M. me.

BQ
If you buy the pre sale price, do you get just the ebook, or do you also get a hardcover book?
[quote]If you buy the pre sale price, do you get just the ebook, or do you also get a hardcover book?[/quote]

The "pre-sale" not "pre-order" price is ONLY for the E-book. The physical book has no specific release date. There is a chance a physical book may never get made. It depends on so many things. However my intention is to release a physical copy eventually. Hope that clarifies a few things.

BQ
Hi Brandon, any news when this gems going to be
released?
All the best with this project.
According to my editor It's just about finished and I'm looking to have it by Sunday!

There are only 10 available copies at the pre-sale price and I'm expecting them to be gone by the end of this week. I'm still debating whether or not I am going to release a physical copy. It all depends on how many people are interested in a physical book.

After the remaining pre-sale e-books are gone, I will no longer be personally accepting orders. The book will be available through a website (which I will announce as soon as it's set up) which will prompt for automatic download upon purchase.

Any questions please feel free to E-mail me at contact@brandonqueen.com or PM me on here. Thanks!
Thanks for the update.
Really looking forward to this one. :)
Brandon Queens Phathom is finally released,having quickly skimmed through the material I was simply blown away.

This is the stuff legends are made of. BMW Guy has already described each of the effects above so I wont go into too much detail, but what I will say is you can tell B.Q is passionate about this material he goes into so much detail in each effect making sure the reader gets this right. He tells you the right way and the wrong way of doing it.

There are spinkles of gold dust through out this book.
Proper credits are given at the end.

My two favorites so far are Tea for two and Lacuna.

Lacuna is simply awesome that's the effect where you erase the victims memory and replace it with a new one.

All in all a brilliant e book. Good luck with this Brandon, but I'm sure you wont need it once the word get,s out.
I'm excited the world is about to meet the mind of one of my best kept secrets! :-D

I'm sure there is much more awesomeness still to come too.
Sounds very good... will look forward to when a physical copy is released... I'll be buying...
Thanks to everyone who has purchased PHATHOM! I look forward to all of your thoughts on the material. More importantly would love to hear your experiences with performing the routines.

I have ONE left for the sale price. After that the price jumps up. Goes to the first person who contacts me.

As far as the physical book goes, I'm not entirely sure it's going to happen as I've decided NOT to go through lulu. I am going to explore my options further, and it also depends on how many people would be interested in a physical copy.

I will keep those interested up to date on the progress. Thanks!

BQ
I thought this was extremely solid material. Value-wise, one of my best purchases this year. I'm surprised there's not more chatter about it.
I really enjoyed this book. It is full of strong, prop-free mentalism that makes me I wish I was performing more in English. A large part of it is language dependent meaning that if you perform in languages other than English you may not be able to use the effects as is. That being said, it would be possible to use the underlying principles to adapt it to other languages, but I may require a large amount of work.
I just picked up Brandon's new book Phathom. I think it is filled with commercial material that can be used in a walk-around or stage act. The routines are straightforward, propless, and contain a number of revelations.

I had the pleasure of meeting Brandon at Mindvention last year, and he performed a few things from the book. I particularly enjoyed R.A.M. because I didn't write anything down and he not only told me my thought of memory but also duplicated my drawing. It mostly blew me away because it felt so real. He also performed Psycho Dysphagia to a number of attendees and it worked surprisingly well. Lots of people had trouble swallowing that day. In fact, I hate to admit it . . . . I couldn't swallow, which freaked me out (I'm a mentalist, this shouldn't work on me!)

Some of these routines will require that you spend time memorizing a system, but once you have it down you will be performing miracles. I only suggest picking up a copy if you want to learn how to be a real mind reader.

-WR
After having this recommended to me by my good friend Colin I took the opportunity to track Brandon down and after sending him my funds the ebook was delivered in lightning fast speed.

The material within this book is solid. You can tell that Brandon has used these routines a lot. This is also echoed by the comments above. The material is all super strong and the bonus is most is entirely prop less!

For me the real value lies in the thinking behind the routines. There is logic and reasoning behind each detail that forms the bigger picture. I will certainly carry elements of his thinking through to my own work.

My only regret is that I wasn't able to enjoy the performance first as I'm positive I would have been fooled in a big way.

I take my hat off to Brandon for releasing his work to the community.

10/10 from me ;)
It's enjoyable, well thought out, and practical material. I recommend it.
A wonderful and inspirational work. Highly recommended for sure.

Ravi
Brandon, Has the last one been sold ?
G'day Mates,

I want to thank everyone for the kind words and positive feedback I've been receiving so far. I've been hearing nothing but great things about the material and I'm happy to hear that everyone is enjoying it. :)

I do need to breifly clarify something that was brought to my attention by one of my buyers; TELEGEUSIA requires speaking English in order to perform it right away. It can be done in other languages but it would require a bit of work. R.A.M. and TELEGEUSIA II are cultural dependent. Meaning they primarily work in western culutures.

These limitations do not mean that they are not workable in other languages or cultures. The entire methodology, concepts and structure of the above mentioned routines are adaptable to other languages and cultures, but will require a bit of extra work.

I've also been getting a lot of messages from people asking if there are any books left. Once again to clarify, this is NOT a limited release! The first 30 copies were offered at a SALE price which have all been accounted for. The price for PHATHOM is $45.00 which can be sent to paypalusa@brandonqueen.com

If anyone has any questions about the material before purchasing, please PM me or E-mail me and I'll be happy to address your inquiries.

Thank you all for your support!

BQ
I finished reading through this last night.

It is packed with great thinking, and am sure that anyone reading this will find something they can use!

It is evident that Brandon has put a lot of thought into these effects.

High recommendations from me as well!
Besides Brandon being a good mate of mine... he is also one clever S.O.B.

I have experienced performances of some of these pieces in person... and they kill.

I have also, despite knowing very little about hypnosis, built a reputation of being a bit of a Jedi master with one of these effects. Ha!! Those who own the book may know which one I am talking about.

Well done BQ... you rock mate.
I finally had a chance to read the whole thing and I love it... I love effects I can carry around in my head and this book has plenty.
Do yourself a favor and treat yourself to some very thoughtful creative mentalism and go get Phathom.
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to again thank all those for the kind words and the positive feedback I've been getting from everyone who has purchased the e-book.

PHATHOM is now available online for instant download at:

http://www.brandonqueen.com/phathom

Thanks!

Thanks!

BQ
But... do these effects play in the real world?? I demand a performance video!!!!!

O.K...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgYYkHw8UvQ

Enjoy! :)
Somehow missed this thread! Wish I got in on the pre-order. In any case, I have purchased via the website and it will not allow me to download, saying the download limit has been reached.

Did anyone else have that issue?
Picked this up and it was a great read, although due to cultural differences performers in my area of the world won't be able to readily perform 3 of the routines taught in the ebook. Don't treat that as a negative if you're from these parts, it's just something I thought I'd point out.

Lacuna however, is the highlight routine for me and I do intend to work with that in one way or another.

~ Nique
FYI just updating, Brandon was able to email me the book directly. Review coming soon!
Sorry guys if I am a bit late on this, but it sounds really interesting... are there any language barriers or limits? I speak german, that's why I am asking (:

Best,
Daniel (:
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 06:44, Pfauntschi wrote:
Sorry guys if I am a bit late on this, but it sounds really interesting... are there any language barriers or limits? I speak german, that's why I am asking (:

Best,
Daniel (:
[/quote]

I found many many barriers with these effects despite being in english speaking western europe, if I can bring myself to get it to the point I like things to be before reviewing them, I might give it a review

if you take it as read, I couldn't do 3 of the effects, one of them contradicted itself, there were two good ones from memory

The presentations are all great but it feels like pipe dreams for me, I'm sure they will work for some but not a good purchase for me
Hey. I already bought it...
The thinking behind this is realy good. I love this kind of mentalism... But you are right Adam... It's mot a good purchase if you don't live on the US.
Of course some things can be changed with some work.. But others are almost impossible to perform well if you live outside of the States! :-/
[quote]
On 2013-06-06 16:12, Pfauntschi wrote:
Hey. I already bought it...
The thinking behind this is realy good. I love this kind of mentalism... But you are right Adam... It's mot a good purchase if you don't live on the US.
Of course some things can be changed with some work.. But others are almost impossible to perform well if you live outside of the States! :-/
[/quote]

yes! I didn't want to pay so much for a homework assignment though

good ideas but it's just not workable (from my experience, I'm sure it works for some)
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 17:30, Olympic Adam wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-06-05 06:44, Pfauntschi wrote:

Best,
Daniel (:
[/quote]

I found many many barriers with these effects despite being in english speaking western europe, if I can bring myself to get it to the point I like things to be before reviewing them, I might give it a review

if you take it as read, I couldn't do 3 of the effects, one of them contradicted itself, there were two good ones from memory

The presentations are all great but it feels like pipe dreams for me, I'm sure they will work for some but not a good purchase for me
[/quote]

Regarding the issue of "pipe dreams", it's obvious that you've never met Brandon or you would see that he actually performs the stuff he writes about.

Personally speaking, I've known the guy for a number of years now, and, he's been working on and using the routines shared in "PHATHOM" for just as long (if not longer!). The last time I connected with B. Queen in person was at last year's Mindvention and he performed a pet-routine of his straight out of the book.

I told him afterwards, and he can quote me on this, "That was one of the very best things I had seen in a long time and certainly a personal highlight of mine from the entire convention, thank you!"...and this, WITH NO PROPS, in a crowded restaurant and seated at a full table of his peers.

Putting it out there,
Jerome.
I said I'm sure it would wok for some, not for me

The presentations read well but due to various reasons, I am unable to perform them, not because I don't own a gimmick but because I don't live in America or that I feel there are holes in the effects, I'm sure they do work in certain circumstances, though it seems not on the scale appropriate for worldwide release

To compare with another initially US oriented effect T.A.C., there are numerous adaptations that make it appropriate for me to use

Unfortunately on face value this is one of my most regrettable purchases
I reviewed this at my blog today, it wasn't an easy thing to do but I feel pretty strongly about the issues I raise.

My goal is to inform people of what I would like to know, and hopefully I have done that.
I purchased today--does Brandon email this or does it download from the site? Thanks
There was a download link in my junk folder
Lol probably where I should have left it
Thanks for the review Adam. I was tempted by this, but as a UK resident I think I'll pass.
[quote]
On 2013-06-07 16:55, Martin Pulman wrote:
Thanks for the review Adam. I was tempted by this, but as a UK resident I think I'll pass.
[/quote]

I hope I provided some useful reasons to help you make the decision, I don't want to put people off a product because of my ill feelings towards it but I want people to make an informed purchase
I think the dependency on US culture should be explicitly mentioned on this, I don't even believe it's easily adaptable as some other effects are
[quote]There was a download link in my junk folder, Lol probably where I should have left it[/quote]

Wow.. that was really rude and uncalled for Adam. Thanks for that... really...

I explicitly said to you in a PM when you were inquiring about the book, "If you have any questions about the material before purchasing, please feel free to ask." Which you declined.

I also offered you my valuable time to give you FREE consultation to come up with solutions to any hurdles you may have had and to help you come up with presentations that may fit you, which again you declined.

Oh and don't forget about the 15% discount you were offered as well in response to your initial inquiry.

After you read the book, and sent me your concerns via PM, and I offered you free consultation you said, "The ideas are solid, the presentation ideas are great, it just might take a bit of work to get to the point that I can run with them.Thanks for your time, I'll be in touch I'm sure!"

Yet your blog completely contradicts that statement entirely. It appears as if you're very focused on attacking me and have absolutely nothing positive to say about me or PHATHOM which clearly reflects that you have a very negative outlook on yourself and those around you. Your blog tagline which states,

"Honest Mentalism reviews from a man with no friends" says it all, and I'm not surprised.

I can assure you that we lead very oppposite lives, as I'm surrounded by LOTS of wonderful friends who feel quite different than you and would be happy to be "honest" about their experiences with me and my offerings.

As most mentalists are aware, a bad idea, thought, or review is always remembered and talked about more than positive things, (which is sad) but true. So you very well knowing that, it's quite clear and apparant that your intentions are to specifically attack me and my business as a sort of "revenge". But the question is, why?

It's simple, you feel you were cheated out of your money. You have every right to feel and express those sentiments. However, I feel you approached it in a very wrong, malicious way. You could have simply asked me for a refund, and you probably would have recieved it. Also you neglected to take my offer of consultation or take your concers directly to me. You've decided to make it public and be "robin hood" so to speak.

I read your blog, and it's compeltely contradicting to what you told me in PM. I understand there are certain hurdles you have with three of the routines, yet you go on to attack every routine in the book, having absolutely nothing positive to say.

And just to clear one thing up, the warnings I put in the book about Psycho Dysphagia are for MY protection. I have never once, nor has anyone I know who performs it injured anyone. You have to understand, a 12 year old could get their hands on this material, and perform something incorrectly. It's a way to save my own a**. Interesting how the only thing you remember or focused on was that sentence ,rather the rest of the explanation. Proves my point, you focus just on the negative and feel empowered by spreading your negativity.

For what it's worth, I do sincerely apologize for you feeling mislead or cheated in anyway as that was never my intention. I have been performing these routines for a long time, and they all work brilliantly and accurately exactly as described and I wanted nothing more than to share my ideas with my community.

It would be appreciated if you kept your comments and concerns professional and accurate.

Thank you.

BQ
Olympic Adam - a big part of your review states that you can't do the routines for one reason or another. You also state the author has offered to help you with this yet you didn't avail yourself of that help. I think it would be interesting for you to accept that help and update your review after that help. As in it did help or didn't help, I understood/misunderstood certain effects, etc. That would be fair to the creator/author and the information could possibly be of use to others in a situation like yours.

Full disclosure I know the author but have not discussed this with him.

~ Dan
It was not an attack in any form, and was I feel information that needed to be stated, your question is key, why would I want to attack anything? it's not an attack, it's my honest opinion after paying my money on a product, I said in the review that I had messaged you and you seemed a nice chap
I believe people value my opinions (certainly some feel that way) and often people here just hype products

I didn't have questions before I bought it because I took the effects at essentially face value - that I would be able to perform them
I didn't take you up on the discount, hence stating that I paid full price for the effect in the review
I didn't take you up on the private consultation (which I mentioned in the review) and the fact that you said FREE implies to me that you might have considered charging to fix the routines!

I honestly believe that this is one of my most regrettable purchases
MY comments are accurate, they are my comments from my point of view

I said in the blog that they were good ideas, they just don't work this is true
I felt very strongly that I didn't like the material, however, I waited and did what I felt was right and actually tried the material as much as I could before giving a review as to avoid an initial gut reaction

regardless of putting warnings in the book, those are still valid points about the effect, a warning on a spike routine with a participant's hand isn't enough to stop it being a ridiculous thing to do

I have spent some time with the book and those are my full honest opinions - I feel I have completely wasted my money
And as I feel that I have wasted my money, I wanted to express why so others wouldn't have the same fate, sorry that you felt it was an attack but maybe friends telling people they are great all the time isn't the best thing ever

and yes - the point of my blog is that I don't have friends and can say my honest opinions on whatever I purchase - no one is pushing products on me to stick my name on, I'm buying them like anyone else and providing information I would have liked to have

as soon as anyone says anything that isn't positive they get attacked - I don't see why my views should be quietened - if anyone wants to know what I think on it, it's in the blog - apparently because I don't like something I should keep quiet
[quote]
On 2013-06-07 18:22, bdekolta wrote:
Olympic Adam - a big part of your review states that you can't do the routines for one reason or another. You also state the author has offered to help you with this yet you didn't avail yourself of that help. I think it would be interesting for you to accept that help and update your review after that help. As in it did help or didn't help, I understood/misunderstood certain effects, etc. That would be fair to the creator/author and the information could possibly be of use to others in a situation like yours.

~ Dan
[/quote]

I understand what you are saying but I don't want to have to do homework on something that I feel should work out of the box - I have tried myself to work round it but to no serious avail yet, also not everyone who buys this will have the luxury of having some of Brandon's time to complete the effects so on that merit I feel that the review stands as my opinion on the ebook as a stand alone document - if an update were to be provided I would gladly look at it which may change my mind but I have to look at the package as I purchased it which was and is, unusable
Don't worry Adam. This is just symptomatic of what has gone badly wrong around here.

If people want to charge others to learn their secrets they are not "sharing" as Mr Queen and others on here claim. They are selling. That is absolutely their prerogative but it is absurd to then claim, as Mr Queen appears to do above that negative reviews hurt his business! Of course they do. Negative reviews hurt the film business, the music business, the book business. But can you imagine Steven Spielberg coming onto the IMDB boards and claiming people shouldn't post that Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skulls is s**t because they are hurting his business!

If magic and mentalism wants to be taken seriously as an art form it is time for its practioners to grow up and behave in a way worthy of an art form. Can you imagine the new Scorcese movie coming out and all the ad copy came from friends and aquaintances of the director!?! It would be ludicrous. And then imagine a film forum were Marty's mates came on to tell you they have seen the movie at private screenings and wax lyrical about how extraordinary it is. No one would take it seriously. In fact, pre-release reviews transparently by friends of the cast/director of movies are regularly ridiculed on imdb.

Imagine further if after you posted some negative comment or other on imdb, the director came onto the thread to tell you your opinion was worthless as you have never made a film or clearly don't understand the complexities of modern cinema-they'd be laughed out of town!

Yet that is what we have come to expect from magic products. I have spent about a grand in UK money in the last month on mentalism related material from the last five years, almost all of it hyped to high heaven on threads on here and 70% of it is either plagiarism, DR/IS drivel or completely unworthy of release, IN MY OPINION! And that is the key phrase. MY OPINION!

I don't know Brandon Queen and don't have any of his material. I was intrigued by the demos because he seems to be exploring a field I have had a long term interest in. Pure, invisible compromise mentalism. But if his effects are not practical outside the US the ad copy should say so. That would be the ethical thing to do. That would be "sharing" something with us-the truth!

If, however, Adam's reviews are FACTUALLY incorrect, Mr Queen has every right to be annoyed and has every right to defend the product he is selling.

Perhaps he could tell us if that is the case?
Martin ~

Thank you for sharing your views. I don't know if Olympic Adam's views are accurate or not for where he lives.

In contrast to what you posted in this case the author specifically offered to help the purchaser get things going. This offer was refused then the review states that the routines "do not work" that the presentations are "only half complete". Other descriptions of one routine are "factually inaccurate", "contradictory".

Another effect he states "one of the effects could hurt my audience." Not having the book you would assume this to be a dangerous effect. It is anything but. Watch the trailer for the book and you will see Brandon do the effect in question including every action that could "hurt the audience". Watch and see if he does anything that you deem would hurt the audience.

My suggestion to Olympic Adam was to take Brandon up on his offer of help and see if he still viewed the material the same way. Seems reasonable. As to Olympic Adams comment about "doing homework" I have never been able to take an effect from a book or video or lecture and perform it without altering either the method or presentation or items used in the effect.

But I am not just whining about this review. I view it as an incomplete review rather than a strictly negative review. Incomplete in that information was offered to help get things going and that was refused. To then turn around and say things don't work just doesn't feel right to me. We have no way to know if the offer to help would have changed the reviewers opinion or if the effects would have proved practical.

I just looked at the ad on Brandon's site and it does not mention the U.S. centric nature of some of the routines. Earlier posts in this thread do acknowledge that.

Again I did read the book and found the descriptions complete and felt every routine was workable. I do live in the US and that may have colored my opinions. I do have a pretty good sense of what will and won't work in actual performance and felt these routines would absolutely be useable.

Hope that clarifies my position a bit.

I also see that Brandon posted while I was writing my previous reply.

So I do appreciate Olympic Adam posting reviews. In this instance I don't feel enough information was present to post an accurate review of the contents of the book.

Dan
Actually, your comment about the junk mail folder was an attack and it was rude. Re-read it.

People value my opinions as well. Nothing in this book is overhyped nor is anything close to a pipe-dream. What you see in my demo video is one take, no actors, or stooges, no pre-show. It's exactly how it happened. (with minor cuts to protect methods)

[quote]I didn't have questions before I bought it because I took the effects at essentially face value - that I would be able to perform them [/quote]-YOU

Whether you're able to perform them, and whether it's possible to perform them are two different things. Any skills or performance experience you may lack is no reflection of my material. This material is suited best for performing professionals and experienced mentalists. You sent me a PM about your disappointment with the material literally less than an hour after I sent it to you. I gave you options to remedy your dissatisfaction, yet you declined my offer. You obviously didn't put any effort into testing out any of the material before expressing your dissatisfaction with me either. Believe it or not, this material was designed out of REAL PERFORMANCES and was released for the intention of others performing them, not sit and think about them, and write about them.

[quote]I know you didn't pay XX amount to create your own routines, but at the same time I'd hope you would want to make these routines original and unique to yourself anyway, and not perform them exactly as the book describes. All the ideas, methods, tools and concepts are there for your taking.

Also no need to apologize for how you feel, I'm not offended by any means. I just want you to be satisfied with your purchase and get the most use out of the material and I'd be happy to help you come up with some solutions if you want. Let's shoot some ideas back and fourth and I'll help you. Just send me an e-mail.[/quote] - Brandon

You claim you're doing others a service by "warning them" to NOT purchase my work. It's one thing to simply share your opinion of the material, it's a whole other thing to attempt to interfere with my business. If you truly cared about others being "misinformed", you would have expressed those thoughts to me privately, to come up with a solution to be more clear about what Phathom is and what it isn't. If you would have taken the time to actually read the reviews, and quotes and everything I've mentioned about the book in this forum before purchasing, including clarrifying any misconceptions or questions you may have had when I offered to address any of your concerns before buying, you could have saved yourself $45.00.

This is on my website: [quote]This work is reputation making but be forewarned, this does not come out of the box ready to play. You will need to put some mental work into it. However once that (minimal) work is done then you will have propless and impromptu miracles ready at your fingertips for the rest of your career. So much work has been put into this. I'm thankful to the obvious diligence that Brandon Queen has put into it and these are pieces that will go directly into my toolbox."-DT3[/quote]

And this in Mentally Speaking:

[quote]I do need to breifly clarify something that was brought to my attention by one of my buyers; TELEGEUSIA requires speaking English in order to perform it right away. It can be done in other languages but it would require a bit of work. R.A.M. and TELEGEUSIA II are cultural dependent. Meaning they primarily work in western culutures.

These limitations do not mean that they are not workable in other languages or cultures. The entire methodology, concepts and structure of the above mentioned routines are adaptable to other languages and cultures, but will require a bit of extra work.[/quote]-Brandon

It's clear that you and anyone else who purchases PHATHOM is well aware of what they are getting. It seems as though you're just trying to plug your blog and create some controversy to gain some followers. Good for you.

Again with Psycho Dysphagia being compared to a smash and stab routine. That is a horrible comparison. There is absolutely no danger in performing Psycho Dysphagia, nor is there anyway one could "accidentally" or "unintentionally" hurt someone performing it. In order to actually hurt someone, you'd have to fully intentionally do it the exact opposite way I describe in the book. I've covered every angle in the book with every routine, to make sure nothing was left out. Also, the part you're referring to, isn't even the method nor is it suggested that it be performed in that manner. It's an additional bit I added for educational purposes only and completness. Re-read the book.

Adam, clearly you're not understanding what I'm trying to say, and what you're even saying. I am all for people expressing their "opinions" and feelings toward whatever they wish. I never once said you should not express that. I'm talking about your comment about my book being garbage, and being pipe dreams. Your thoughts on the Three effects that we discussed in PM are your own opinions and feelings. You even apologized to me for expressing those thoughts and I told you, that you shouldn't feel apologetic at all, as you have the right to feel that way. Do you not remember? Go check your PM!!

I'm referring to what you have to say about the OTHER three routines. It's inaccurate information. You mention that Lacuna makes your audience angry..??!! Interesting. How many times have you perfomed Lacuna to come up with that conclusion?

[quote]This effect tried to distill cold reading down to a simple process, I don't really agree with this principle. Again for me, assumptions stated as fact.[/quote]

Again, it's NOT a simple process and any well rounded performing mentalist who would ever use this routine should, and would have a working knowledge of cold reading. not "assumptive facts".

The fact is, your entire review of PHATHOM was driven by your own frustration of not understanding the material, rather than actually be helpful. Not to mention some controversal content for your blog.

You would think someone who appears apprehensive to spend a measly 45 dollars on an e-book would have done a bit more research before buying. All the information was already there, you just chose to ignore it. Also I offered to remedy your dissatisfcation yet you ignored it.

You should post a blurb in your blog about the importance of not being ignorant and compulsive when purchasing a product. That seems a bit more productive and helpful.

BQ
I read the all of the reviews, good and bad, and I still plan on picking this up.
[quote]
On 2013-06-07 18:40, Olympic Adam wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-06-07 18:22, bdekolta wrote:

~ Dan
[/quote]

I understand what you are saying but I don't want to have to do homework on something that I feel should work out of the box - I have tried myself to work round it but to no serious avail yet, also not everyone who buys this will have the luxury of having some of Brandon's time to complete the effects so on that merit I feel that the review stands as my opinion on the ebook as a stand alone document - if an update were to be provided I would gladly look at it which may change my mind but I have to look at the package as I purchased it which was and is, unusable
[/quote]

LOL!

Figures.

You (and many others from time immemorial) want everything to work straight out of the box, yes?

"No work involved" (or you'll give it a bad review), right? Are you !@#$%^& kidding me!?

Ever hear of the "Fantastik", Adam? It's awesome, dude...it might take a bit of practice and presentation though!

;)

J.
I think Mr Queen's post above does him no credit.

To him, forty five dollars is a "measly amount". It may be a measly amount to Mr Queen but it feels like a significant amount to me. Especially given that I can purchase an incredible, beautifully produced hardback book like Theatre of The Mind for less. A book containing a lifetimes worth of material, honed over decades. I think to call $45 a measly amount shows utter contempt for the people buying-- sorry "sharing" the material. If $45 is considered a measly amount in the "real world" Mr Queen is performing in, I don't think the material will play well for me as I like to entertain everyday people in everyday situations. Not the pampered rich.

Oh, but don't tell me-- if you are a working professional you will see the value etc etc....and what if you are a working professional who doesn't see the value? Do you get your measly $45 back?

I think everyone reviewing a product should state their relationship, if any, to the creator and state how much, if anything they paid for the product. Then we can make a balanced decision whether to buy or not. Mr Queen's reviews are overwhelmingly positive, some are adulatory.

Some of the positive reviews come from friends of the creator-can we trust them? some come from people given the e-book for free-can we trust them? Some come from people who paid full price but have no reputation in the field themselves. can we trust them? We should take none of them on trust, read between the lines and make our purchase on balance. I may well have bought this but the cultural dependant issues probably rule it out for me. I certainly wouldn't be put off by Adam's subjective opinion of the material (I haven't agreed with many of his opinions on his blog)

Mr Queen makes himself look silly and childish by causing such a strop over a dissenting voice among a sea of praise. He also lets himself down by impugning Olympic Adam's motives in posting as he did. That was uncalled for.
[quote]

LOL!

Figures.

You (and many others from time immemorial) want everything to work straight out of the box, yes?
I
"No work involved" (or you'll give it a bad review), right? Are you !@#$%^& kidding me!?

Ever hear of the "Fantastik", Adam? It's awesome, dude...it might take a bit of practice and presentation though!

;)

J.
[/quote]

What a nasty little post.

Wait! Don't tell me! A friend of the creator who didn't pay even a measly $45 for this e-book? Am I right?

Keep calling it as you see it Adam. Don't let the school bullies silence you!
Martin. Imagine that you have friends.... and one of them has sent you a review copy of their latest book. Being the good friend you are ... would you really keep quiet if you thought the material wasn't very good??

Would you then go on a public forum and wax lyrical about a product, that you thought was half assed, purely because the author was a friend of yours?

You wouldn't!?? No... me either. Nor, I imagine, would most of the performers on this thread. . . So please stop flogging that boring dead horse.

As an aside... I use one of the particular effects in this book ALL the time. . . and to deem it 'Dangerous' is preposterous.

Anyway... yeah... just keep 'calling it as you see it' guys. Doesn't come across as nit-picky trolling AT ALL. As you were.....
Paul,

You were doing ok till you tried to categorise all negative criticism as "nit picky TROLLING". At that point you negated your argument and demeaned yourself.
I wasn't referring to the negative criticism of the book.
Patrick Redford, Michael Murray and Ran Pink have all recommended Brandon Queen's book. They have all released very strong material in their own right. If I was in the US I would probably have already bought this by now. I'm sure most people will make an informed decision based on the TOTALITY of the posts above. That is why it is so self-defeating for Mr Queen to throw his toys out of the pram over one bad review.
The bad review was written by someone who openly admitted to not wanting 'a homework assignment' ... this immediately tells me that he probably wont get much use out of a few effects, as they don't come 'ready to play with'.
The methods, however, are rock solid... and with a little time, can be made use of anywhere. But hey, that is fine. Just not his thing... I get it.

Brandon offered a one on one skype session to help Adam do what we have all had to do for ourselves.... and baby sit him through the process of making some of these effects work for his location. If Adam chose not to take Brandon up on his offer, then... again... whatever. His prerogative. The offer WAS there though... and had he taken it up... would probably now be making full use of these effects. But... he didn't.

So... knowing that he probably could take a little more time, with the actual help of Brandon, to understand some of the material... what on earth makes that same person think they are ready to write review?

After all the effort gone to, to ensure the customer is happy.... to have none of your offers taken up... yet, to still be spat on, with a half assed, uninformed, and partially spiteful review like that. Man... I'd be throwing more than toys.
[quote]
On 2013-06-08 04:00, Paul Shirley wrote:
The bad review was written by someone who openly admitted to not wanting 'a homework assignment' ... this immediately tells me that he probably wont get much use out of a few effects, as they don't come 'ready to play with'.
The methods, however, are rock solid... and with a little time, can be made use of anywhere. But hey, that is fine. Just not his thing... I get it.

Brandon offered a one on one skype session to help Adam do what we have all had to do for ourselves.... and baby sit him through the process of making some of these effects work for his location. If Adam chose not to take Brandon up on his offer, then... again... whatever. His prerogative. The offer WAS there though... and had he taken it up... would probably now be making full use of these effects. But... he didn't.

So... knowing that he probably could take a little more time, with the actual help of Brandon, to understand some of the material... what on earth makes that same person think they are ready to write review?

After all the effort gone to, to ensure the customer is happy.... to have none of your offers taken up... yet, to still be spat on, with a half assed, uninformed, and partially spiteful review like that. Man... I'd be throwing more than toys.
[/quote]

Hysterical nonsense. Adam didn't like it. Others did. Mr Queen should act like a professional. Defend his work by all means but leave Adam's personal character and motivations out of it.
Ironically, if Mr Queen and his friends hadn't jumped in to give Adam an online kicking, his negative review would have been all but lost in a sea of high-powered praise.
Yeah... probably.

Have a good one mate.
I've been looking for some sexy mentalism like this appears to be for a while and I was very tempted by this but the usual Magic Café fighting has somewhat ruined it. Creators need to learn to not take things so seriously and personally. Also, using such emotive words like 'attacked' is crazy. Why not go and ask a victim of a horrible crime if a couple of words on a magic forum count as an 'attack'. It was certainly a spiteful and un-tastful comment, but it wasn't an 'attack'. If you know your magic works and it has touched even ONE other magician, that man, that is all that matters! We are all allowed our own opinions. Equally, reviewers should just ignore it when their review is disliked and realise that their review will do all the talking. There is no need for all this arguing. It is a real shame and something we are seeing far too much of!

Jamie Daws
Jamie,

A degree of debate and disagreement on the quality of effects and methods is not only healthy but vital. That is how any art form progresses. Thesis-antithesis-synthesis.

It is only when things become personal that arguments break out. That is what we should be trying to avoid. After all, Soviet Russia succeeded in crushing all internal dissent and only allowing positive comment on THEIR methods. Look how that turned out! :)
[quote]Hysterical nonsense. Adam didn't like it. Others did. Mr Queen should act like a professional. Defend his work by all means but leave Adam's personal character and motivations out of it.[/quote]

Woah woah woah! What is going on here?? How am I NOT acting like a professional? I have absolutly No problem with Adam or anyone else expressing their opinion about whatever they wish. If you read the entire thread from start to finish, you will see exactly what I'm talking about. Again, I never once said that Adam's personal thoughts and feelings on the material wasn't valid or considerded. The issue is his comments about Phathom being junk. That's what got my attention and provoked me to simply defend myself. I then took a look at his blog, and half of it was truth, and the other half was complete utter false information.

Everyone on here in Adam's defense has no idea what they are talking about, considering they do not own nor have they read Phathom. I've been very patient, and very professional. Just as Adam is free to express himself, so am I.

The fact that I gave above and beyond service for Adam's payment and he neglected to accept, nor did he even ask for a refund which I would have given him... he decided to say nasty things and get all HIS friends and blog followers (who don't know me, nor own phathom) to jump in and create drama.

This has gotten way out of hand.
I agree Martin! It is the personal stuff that is upsetting. I love a good debate in magic and Ive had to swallow bad reviews on my own material before but the key is to be objective and not to let the comments get to you! Simples! :-D

Jamie Daws
It's not about the bad review. I'll repeat myself again for the thousandth time. I welcome other's opinions assuming they are valid and based on facts. In fact, I'm actually surprised it took this long for someone to express an opinion about phathom that wasn't in my favor. I figured it would be sooner, as I know it's impossible to please everybody.

However, 1. Adam gave false information about the material in the book. 2. He came off very rude by making a snarky comment referring to phathom as junk. 3. The only reason he posted in this thread was to plug his blog. 4. After I had geniunely offered him any additional assistance to make him happy, he went out of his way to post an incomplete, and inaccurate review.

I have every right to defend myself from internet bullies, and I feel so far I have done so in a very civilized and professional manner.

so far...
For what it's worth, I think you are correct about the "junk" comment. But that was clearly an ill-advised attempt at humour by Adam that backfired. He really should retract it.

But your stuff about internet bullies is silly. And your claim that you responded to Adam's critique in a professional manner is simply incorrect, which, if you read your original replies from an objective viewpoint, you will probably see.

I don't know Adam, have never PM'd him, and disagree with almost everything he writes on his blog, but as Voltaire didn't say "I may not like what he says, but I'll defend his right to say it, to the death"...or until I'm banned which, let's face it, can't be far off.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and congratulations on all the great reviews.
People are missing the point of a review - it's objective - I can't say, 'it doesn't work but as I am a fabulous performer I was able to fix it' I MUST review it on face value for other purchasers

1. I gave no false information
2. Junk was a joke (hence the lol, but still true if I'm not going to use it)
3. what possible benefit does me plugging the blog have other than my goal of telling people what I think - I make no money off it - I don't get free products - I don't sell anything - I think I got $0.05 from someone buying Balls
4. the assistance was not a Skype session it was an offer of an email address and frankly, when I suggested that one of the items was not applicable where I live, you got quite defensive

I'm not sure how my honest opinion classes as bullying, however, I find it ironic that you ask me to maintain some professionalism when you seem intent on personally attacking me - my opinions are based on your work though your responses here tell us a little about you

I think in America I would have had different results, but I'm not, I'm in the UK and I can't get the material to work as I described in the review
I could lift blocks from the text to support my views but I didn't, that would exposure
If you read what I wrote, I think you will find a level of respect before I detail my legitimate reasons as to why I do not like something - I didn't just blurt out my initial reactions, I kept the work, re-read it, went over it with people, TRIED to try it out, TRIED to get it to fit while maintaining the actual purchase and had no results

I paid $45 for a work where routine 1. Does not work because of inaccuracies and specific words - 2. does not work because of social events local to the US - 3. after some thinking on it, I think it's weak (my opinion) the DR isn't the greatest - 4. you say it wont work outside and it won't - 5. is ok, it's a decent idea (my opinion) - 6. might HURT my participant, I don't care how small the routine might play in reality or whatever warnings you give, it's unusable because it could cause damage

Sorry I can't give you the praise your friends give but look at my position - people try to be honest and get attacked, I am sure I am not alone in my thoughts

I paid my money and feel like I have wasted it - I expressed my opinions and think it's quite telling how you react
[quote]For what it's worth, I think you are correct about the "junk" comment. But that was clearly an ill-advised attempt at humour by Adam that backfired. He really should retract it.[/quote]

Thank you. I appreciate your acknowledgement.

I will also take your advice and re-read through some of these posts, and make any clarifications, corrections and apologies that may need to expressed.

BQ
Cheers BQ,

For what it's worth I think your demos look terrific and, even if the cultural differences make your stuff unsuitable for use outside the US, I'm tempted to buy just to discover your ideas and thought process.

All the best,
Martin
[quote]
On 2013-06-08 06:10, Martin Pulman wrote:
For what it's worth, I think you are correct about the "junk" comment. But that was clearly an ill-advised attempt at humour by Adam that backfired. He really should retract it.

But your stuff about internet bullies is silly. And your claim that you responded to Adam's critique in a professional manner is simply incorrect, which, if you read your original replies from an objective viewpoint, you will probably see.

I don't know Adam, have never PM'd him, and disagree with almost everything he writes on his blog, but as Voltaire didn't say "I may not like what he says, but I'll defend his right to say it, to the death"...or until I'm banned which, let's face it, can't be far off.

Anyway, best of luck to you, and congratulations on all the great reviews.
[/quote]

as I'm sure you would appreciate Martin, that's the kind of response I think I deserve, you don't have to agree with me, if you don't then I've still achieved the goal of making you think, but I am allowed to express my opinions and I try to do so in an honest manner

I couldn't resist the junk comment, the link did end up in the junk email, and I may delete the ebook, I don't think I will use it

I always say you learn from every purchase, even the bad ones, I have learnt a lot about making purchases and a lot about certain people

as I said, the first half of the presentations are great, every detail is covered up until the method section, but I didn't pay $45 for 6 interesting presentation ideas
[quote]1. I gave no false information
2. Junk was a joke (hence the lol, but still true if I'm not going to use it)
3. what possible benefit does me plugging the blog have other than my goal of telling people what I think - I make no money off it - I don't get free products - I don't sell anything - I think I got $0.05 from someone buying Balls
4. the assistance was not a Skype session it was an offer of an email address and frankly, when I suggested that one of the items was not applicable where I live, you got quite defensive[/quote]

1. The false information is regarding Psycho Dysphagia.

2. Ha.. Ha.

3. No one mentioned montetary benefits from gaining blog followers, but clearly there are SEVERAL benefits to gaining blog followers and readers, otherwise you wouldn't waste your time having one would you?

4. I never said it was a skype session, I don't know where you're getting that information.

[quote]I'm not sure how my honest opinion classes as bullying, however, I find it ironic that you ask me to maintain some professionalism when you seem intent on personally attacking me - my opinions are based on your work though your responses here tell us a little about you [/quote]

I wasn't referring to your post alone as bullying. Please point out ONE instance where I have attacked you...

[quote]I think in America I would have had different results, but I'm not, I'm in the UK and I can't get the material to work as I described in the review
I could lift blocks from the text to support my views but I didn't, that would exposure
If you read what I wrote, I think you will find a level of respect before I detail my legitimate reasons as to why I do not like something - I didn't just blurt out my initial reactions, I kept the work, re-read it, went over it with people, TRIED to try it out, TRIED to get it to fit while maintaining the actual purchase and had no results[/quote]

THIS right here is a completely valid and respectable honest opinion of yours. I support it. Also I appreciate you keeping the integrity of our art. I'm thankful for that. I'll reiterate - It's not your opinion that I'm bothered by, offended by or defensive about, it's HOW you chose to express your opinion. Unprofessional, rude and inaccurate.

[quote]I paid $45 for a work where routine 1. Does not work because of inaccuracies and specific words - 2. does not work because of social events local to the US - 3. after some thinking on it, I think it's weak (my opinion) the DR isn't the greatest - 4. you say it wont work outside and it won't - 5. is ok, it's a decent idea (my opinion) - 6. might HURT my participant, I don't care how small the routine might play in reality or whatever warnings you give, it's unusable because it could cause damage [/quote]

All fair to say, and completely valid. Your feelings on Lacuna being "weak" are also fine. I appreciate your opinion and you're welcome to feel how you wish. I have no contest to that. However again, I must clarify, that you are absolutely 100% in your assumptions and inaccurate information about Psycho Dsyphagia being unusable due to causing damage. If you re-read the book, you will recall I gave multiple methods of acheiving this effect. The very method YOU keep mentioning, was only put in the book for completness, and for educational purposes only. It is NOT the main method, nor do I suggest using it. Please stop twisting things around and giving people innacurate false information.

So there are 3 routines that you and I agree on that you cannot perform "straight out of the box" so to speak. We disccused this in PM. However it wasn't brought to my attention how you feel about the other three remaining effects until now. Not that you're obligated to inform me, but considering I was willing to do whatever I needed to make you a happy customer, I find your approach quite insulting and distasteful.

So, for the millionth time, I will try to make this clear. I am in no way bothered by, offended by, upset, insulted or disagree with how you feel about Telegeusia, Telegeusia II, and R.A.M.

In fact I find it useful and helpful to some degree. The part of your rant and review that does not resonate well with me, are your assumptions about Lacuna causing the audience to be angry, and the misinformation about psycho dysphagia. Also your junk comment was inappropriate.

BQ
I'm not going to justify how you might have attacked me, read your posts
I can't believe I am still having to justify an opinion

The quotes about hurting the participant were taken from across the explanations, not just one page
In the PM I found that your dismissal of my claim that something didn't fit where I live was quite defensive as though it was my problem

junk is subjective, one man's junk as they say...

I think you are missing the point of my blog, it's to give back to the community here in the form of making an educated decision based on my experience as a purchaser - for both the good and the bad

the only benefit that I get from someone viewing my blog is that I hope I have helped someone, or at least made them think, I don't get off on the number of page views I may or may not have and I find your claims that I did this for publicity actually quite an attack - and quite presumptuous that your work is so important that me criticising it would somehow be helpful - I criticised the work because I cannot use half of it and the other half did nothing for me and I feel that I wasted money
That's because I didn't "attack' you.

[quote]In the PM I found that your dismissal of my claim that something didn't fit where I live was quite defensive as though it was my problem[/quote]

I sincerely apologize if my response came off that way. Wasn't my intention.

[quote]I think you are missing the point of my blog, it's to give back to the community here in the form of making an educated decision based on my experience as a purchaser - for both the good and the bad

the only benefit that I get from someone viewing my blog is that I hope I have helped someone, or at least made them think, I don't get off on the number of page views I may or may not have and I find your claims that I did this for publicity actually quite an attack - and quite presumptuous that your work is so important that me criticising it would somehow be helpful - I criticised the work because I cannot use half of it and the other half did nothing for me and I feel that I wasted money[/quote]

Lol ok. relax Bud. Take a breather.
[quote]
Brandon Queen wrote:

I can assure you that we lead very oppposite lives, as I'm surrounded by LOTS of wonderful friends who feel quite different than you and would be happy to be "honest" about their experiences with me and my offerings.

Proves my point, you focus just on the negative and feel empowered by spreading your negativity.

Whether you're able to perform them, and whether it's possible to perform them are two different things. Any skills or performance experience you may lack is no reflection of my material. This material is suited best for performing professionals and experienced mentalists.

You obviously didn't put any effort into testing out any of the material before expressing your dissatisfaction with me either. Believe it or not, this material was designed out of REAL PERFORMANCES and was released for the intention of others performing them, not sit and think about them, and write about them.

You claim you're doing others a service by "warning them" to NOT purchase my work. It's one thing to simply share your opinion of the material, it's a whole other thing to attempt to interfere with my business. If you truly cared about others being "misinformed", you would have expressed those thoughts to me privately, to come up with a solution to be more clear about what Phathom is and what it isn't. If you would have taken the time to actually read the reviews, and quotes and everything I've mentioned about the book in this forum before purchasing, including clarrifying any misconceptions or questions you may have had when I offered to address any of your concerns before buying, you could have saved yourself $45.00.

I do need to breifly clarify something that was brought to my attention by one of my buyers; TELEGEUSIA requires speaking English in order to perform it right away. It can be done in other languages but it would require a bit of work. R.A.M. and TELEGEUSIA II are cultural dependent. Meaning they primarily work in western culutures.

These limitations do not mean that they are not workable in other languages or cultures. The entire methodology, concepts and structure of the above mentioned routines are adaptable to other languages and cultures, but will require a bit of extra work.
-Brandon

It's clear that you and anyone else who purchases PHATHOM is well aware of what they are getting. It seems as though you're just trying to plug your blog and create some controversy to gain some followers. Good for you.

Adam, clearly you're not understanding what I'm trying to say, and what you're even saying.

The fact is, your entire review of PHATHOM was driven by your own frustration of not understanding the material, rather than actually be helpful. Not to mention some controversal content for your blog.

You would think someone who appears apprehensive to spend a measly 45 dollars on an e-book would have done a bit more research before buying.

You should post a blurb in your blog about the importance of not being ignorant and compulsive when purchasing a product. That seems a bit more productive and helpful.

[/quote]

these are things I take as 'attacks' since you used the term

- you implied that I am not honest and that by having friends you are better than me
- you said I get some kind of power from being negative - I mentioned on the blog how difficult I found it, but how I felt it was justified
- you criticised my performing ability, you said I lack performing skills and ability implying that the fault is with ME not the material

- you said I didn't put any effort in, when in actual fact I did, it would have been easy to post a quick review after reading but I didn't, I waited about 3 weeks and tried the stuff out
- you imply that I don't actually perform anything

- you claim I am interfering with your business by posting honest opinions
- I DID read the reviews and guidances they are incorrect

I speak English in an english speaking country and I live in a Western culture as directed in your comment

- you imply that I did this to get some controversy and followers, get over yourself
- you imply that I do not know what I am saying

- you imply that I did this from my own frustration of not understanding the material, I believe you do not understand what you wrote in the first routine!

- you called me ignorant and compulsive, I waited a long time before writing the review to make sure it was neither of these things, I have discussed it with other people and came to my own, thoughtful conclusions

These are the instances of attack - all because I gave an honest opinion, great, thanks!
I implied?.. no you inferred.

I never implied by me having friends I was better than you. I was simply retorting to your coment about me having all my "friends" post biased reviews. Way out of context there.

[quote]Any skills or performance experience you may lack is no reflection of my material.- brandon[/quote]

I said, "you may" as in, any skills you may OR may not lack. May = unknown to me. However, now that I reflect on it, specifically your coments about cold reading, there is a lot of truth to it. I'm not suggesting that [i] you are [/i] an imcompetent performer, just the mere fact that it does take a lot of work and experience to utilize cold reading.

[quote] you said I didn't put any effort in, when in actual fact I did, it would have been easy to post a quick review after reading but I didn't, I waited about 3 weeks and tried the stuff out- you[/quote]

Again out of context. I said,[quote]You obviously didn't put any effort into testing out any of the material before expressing your dissatisfaction with me either- me[/quote]

I was clearly referring to your PM you sent me 30 min after I sent you the book.

[quote]you claim I am interfering with your business by posting honest opinions[/quote]

Again out of context, I said, [quote]. It's one thing to simply share your opinion of the material, it's a whole other thing to attempt to interfere with my business.[/quote]

You were doing much more than just sharing an "objective opinion". Your intentions for starting this whole thing is quite evident.

Also, I didn't call you ignorant and compluslive. I merely suggested it as a topic for your blog. I think it would be a very interesting read.

So those were the "instances of attack" you were referring to? They read more like instances of defense to me. Although I can see how a few things might have been taken the wrong way, and I do want to sincerely apologize for anything you may have inferred as a jab or insult. If I could take it back, I would.

You keep referring to your opinion as honest. Quite contrary Mr. McClure.

BQ
I would accept your apology if you didn't keep calling me dishonest
This thread is boring... why don't you take your little argument in mp and let other people concentrate on the product.
I've stated my views on the content and was attacked for them - I have nothing further to say here
Exactly and should you have stopped there,.

that's what happens when you do critics (to use the movie analogy again).
if you think your mission in life is to do mentalism reviews, then do them and leave it at that. if you start reacting to people who are not happy when you do negative reviews then YOU are becoming unprofessional.

and if you think that your mission in life is to mentalism reviews then surely you should be yourself above all scrutiny, don't you think?
I see nowhere on your site, who you are,what gives you the credibility to review and critic someone else work?
as far as I know you're just "some " guy. you are not a "name" in the business.

if on one side I have ran pink, J finley, and other people whose work I respect and on the other side I have.... you, why should I listen to your opinion ?

What is your credibility?
What is your story?

you know that's what happens when you decide to go in the light. Just who are you?

Please don't get me wrong, I don't deny the importance of independant reviews. I just want to know who is doing it, and I expect professionalism from that independant reviewer.
Both things you lack.
I don't jump about who I am or what I do, I hope my experience and thoughts come across in the reviews

the point of the review is that it's from a regular person, the people who generally buy items and perform them, not someone's friend, not someone who will want a reciprocally nice review a regular person

the reviews are based on my experiences and performances and should be taken as what they are, you don't have to read them, you don't have to agree with them, but they are valid
I will fight for the ability to give my opinions, which sadly I have had to do here - people get sold more and more crap every day, the more we accept it the more we will get - if people don't express their views they will just get trampled on

once a product is released, anyone has the ability to purchase it and post their thoughts, I'm not a professional reviewer I'm a guy who buys stuff and posts his honest opinion, you don't have to listen to it
If you put yourself forward as a "critic" you have to deliver.
you don't.

and you are right, I don't have to listen to your reviews and I wont anymore.

Not because you gave a negative review of PHATHOM. I happen to also think its not for me, I don't have the skill level for that.

but because I don't relate to you or your experience. I still don't know why your opinion should matter to me and also because of your poor management of this thread.

to review is to give an opinion, which you did. everytrhing after that was insult. the" junk" folder was completely uncalled for.

you are not yet the independant reviewer I am waiting for.
That's a pity THB, I respect your decision though
In the real world, now would be the moment when you do everything to can to NOT loose one potential "client". now is when you give your credentials, now is when you explain why I should listen to you.

but no, you just give up. I don't understand that.

I gave you a chance you didn't take it
disapointed I am.
I'm not here to justify and plead with people that they should read my words,

I post my words for those who want to read them, you have decided not to, that's fine

I'm not selling my reviews, they are there to be taken as desired

rising and responding to things is why this thread is in the mess it is! (i include myself in that)
First of all, you started the attack by saying you should have left this in the junk mail folder, don't act like you're a victim here. Try pouring yourself into developing a creative project of one type or another, and then have someone turn around and say that about your hard work and effort, and see how you feel. I happen to really like this release, really appreciate the work that Brandon put into evolving Joshua's ideas, and am including some of this material in my repertoire. However, I see a few people from other countries who have said that some of the material is unusable for them in its current form. I am not in their shoes, so I can't appreciate the experience of reading the book from that perspective, and how I would feel about it. The thing is, by not providing any context for your reviews, without you saying what kind of venue you perform in, what your character is, what your background in mentalism is, etc., I can't take your reviews seriously. I personally disagree with half of your reviews, and find several of the products that you have given positive reviews for to be either a) catering to fooling performers rather than entertaining audiences or b) half-baked ideas that are in serious need of a logical disconnect. I can appreciate that other people have a different opinion than myself, though, and so if I ever gave reviews I'd be sure to provide some performance footage of myself, and give some of my history, so people can judge for themselves if my perspective would be applicable to their own. By not providing information about yourself, such as your background in performing and knowledge of this material, however, how would someone know if your reviews would be applicable to their performing persona or performance venue? The way you're talking in this thread about your mission to let people know what's good or bad in a very black and white way, you act like your personal perspective of what's good or not should be universally applicable, which is ridiculous, because no one's is.
I always say my reviews are from my perspective

I'd love to read other people's reviews but it seems that most of the ones around these days come from friends of performers

of course the reviews are my opinion, and of course I think it's right - take it for what you will

I'm happy for people to disagree with me as long as they have a reason to, that's the beauty with art
I've never met or spoke to Brandon prior to purchasing this work. What IS your perspective than? I don't see it listed anywhere on your site. Does your site say how many years you've been reading mentalism material? Performing it? What your character is? How are we supposed to know what perspective the reviews are coming from? We're not bloody mindreaders :) I find Jheff's reviews much more informative, even though he's a dealer. At least he's released stuff and tells us abouthimself enough so we understand where he's coming from and if his opinion might differ from our own, and why.
I'll take that into consideration cpbartak, thanks for the feedback, but I'll not post it in this topic

I'll bear it in mind for the next review
[quote]
On 2013-06-08 11:15, cpbartak wrote:
First of all, you started the attack by saying you should have left this in the junk mail folder, don't act like you're a victim here. Try pouring yourself into developing a creative project of one type or another, and then have someone turn around and say that about your hard work and effort, and see how you feel. I happen to really like this release, really appreciate the work that Brandon put into evolving Joshua's ideas, and am including some of this material in my repertoire. However, I see a few people from other countries who have said that some of the material is unusable for them in its current form. I am not in their shoes, so I can't appreciate the experience of reading the book from that perspective, and how I would feel about it. The thing is, by not providing any context for your reviews, without you saying what kind of venue you perform in, what your character is, what your background in mentalism is, etc., I can't take your reviews seriously. I personally disagree with half of your reviews, and find several of the products that you have given positive reviews for to be either a) catering to fooling performers rather than entertaining audiences or b) half-baked ideas that are in serious need of a logical disconnect. I can appreciate that other people have a different opinion than myself, though, and so if I ever gave reviews I'd be sure to provide some performance footage of myself, and give some of my history, so people can judge for themselves if my perspective would be applicable to their own. By not providing information about yourself, such as your background in performing and knowledge of this material, however, how would someone know if your reviews would be applicable to their performing persona or performance venue? The way you're talking in this thread about your mission to let people know what's good or bad in a very black and white way, you act like your personal perspective of what's good or not should be universally applicable, which is ridiculous, because no one's is.
[/quote]

Utter nonsense.

Did Pauline Kael, the legendary film critic have to post her credentials before she wrote her magnificent reviews for the New Yorker? Nope. She didn't have any. Had never as much stepped onto a film set in her life.

Did Kenneth Tynan, the equally legendary English theatre critic have to post his credentials before writing his magnificently inciteful reviews of Olivier etc in the 1950s?
Nope. He didn't have any. Hadn't stepped on a stage in his life.

Are the incomparable John Ruskin's critiques of Victorian Art worthless because he wasn't much cop with oils himself. Nope. Yet his reviews defined art for half a century.

They all started writing seriously and honestly about art forms they loved. That is all we should ask of a reviewer. And the game has changed now. We are in the age of the amateur online blogger/reviewer. That's what Adam is. He doesn't have to prove anything to any of us, any more than online movie reviewers have to prove they know what a match cut or crossing-the-line is.

Once you ask people to pay to watch your film, read your book, attend your exhibition etc you invite critical comment. I am a professional actor. I have been in TV shows in the past that have been mauled by the critics both on TV and in the national press. It isn't fun to know all of your mates are reading that your latest work is s*** after weeks and months of hard graft. Guess what, all my friends and family always think I am great. My actor friends are kind enough to say I am terrific (I say the same to them when they are s***). It would be absurd for them to pile in online to defend my honour after bad reviews, and even more absurd for me to do so. It is considered embarrassing in the acting game to publicly reply to critics, far less amateur online ones.

Why should magic be any different? We are doing something worth serious consideration. Not some silly little hobby, right? The prices creators charge for their products would seem to suggest they think so.

Keep up your reviews Adam. I think they are almost all way wide of the mark and often gibberish, but I enjoy them all the same. I take them for what they are. One man's opinion. Don't let the b******s grind you down!
It is different. the usual complaint about creator is that its all a rehash of an old effect from say annemann. and on the part of the customers it is important to know if it is or not.
I expect from a critic to be able to enlighten me as to the history of the effect. if B. Cassidy tells me the effect is good but its only a watered down version of Hoy effect called " ***" then that's wothwhile info.

I want to know that my independant reviewer knows his mentalism history. if the guy is just like me ( which is what olypic adam seems to pride himself for,that his USP) then there absolutely no added value for me.

once again I really value the idea of an independant reviewer ( rather than a guy with no friends) but I need to trust his knowledge and experience.

to compare olympic adam with Pauline Kael is like comparing "le prix du public" with the "the best photo" . one is critqued by public the other by its peers...
[quote]My actor friends are kind enough to say I am terrific (I say the same to them when they are s***)[/quote]

That's awful. The relationship I have with my friends is far from that sort of dynamic, Martin. Even the less confrontational ones would rather just not say anything.

For the record, I only gave a very small handful of my friends a peer view copy, and of that small few only a couple gave me a "review". a PRIVATE review. Those few friends recieved a copy, because those are the few people that have seen me perform these effects in person, and I had already shared the methods with them. I simply asked them if the explanations were clear and thorough. It was actually my friends who encouraged me to release the very material I showed them in the first place. I have wonderful friends!

Comparing an instructional/how to book on a particular subject to a movie is apples and oranges. I feel it's closer related to comparing a critique to my actual live show.

Again I'll reiterate, because for some reason a few people keep reading over my words. I am thankful for Adam taking the time to give an "honest" review. (honest in how he FEELS but not honest about the content)
He made SOME valid points, and again I'll acknowledge those points. Which are regarding the practicality of 3 of the routines for people outside of the united states. Adam keeps saying how he's not allowed to have an opinion and martin keeps defending the right to have an opinion through analogy of the movie critic.
No one here is arguing that a person doesn't have the right to express their opinion of a product. That's not what this debate has even been about. Also I understand that these effects don't fit his personality style both in presentation AND in method. That is totally fair for him to feel, think and say. He has the right to a subjective opnion

However, he keeps refering to his opnion as objective which it is not. To say that the presentations are incomplete, the methods are incomplete and misquote me out of context is a complete unfair, untrue, inaccurate review. THIS is where I have an issue. It would be untrue for me to say I can care less whether Adam is/was happy with his purchase or not, because with every single person who puchased my book through me directly, each recieved a personal email, asking them to tell me their HONEST opinion of the book. Adam was one of those 50 people. Out of all 50 people, I recieved two dissapointments. Adam is one of them, the other one got a refund.

I feel I'm doing a pretty good job to take care of MY customers, to make sure they are happy after they purchase AND informed before purchasing. It's a LOT of work and it's not easy.

What I've gathered from Adam's blog, is that the material doesn't suit his performance style, three of the routines he cannot perform straight out of the box without extra work, and he feels he wasted his money. Those are all very valid and fair. It's completely his opinion and I respect it. I lost respect when he made the junk comment, and when I found out he was misquoting/exaggerating about psycho dysphagia, and saying my methods and presentations are incomplete which is NOT true.

How can I make myself any more clear on what this is about?

BQ
Hi Brandon,

I don't want this debate to ruin your thread any further (though to be honest I think it has been worthwhile and stimulating, certainly more so than a lot of threads that seem to be composed of people discussing the minutiae of their local postal delivery services).But forgive me if I reply one final time to your comment above.

re Friends)
Trust me, when you are an actor you know when you stink and you have enough professional and amateur people online telling you how s*** you are without your mates joining in! A true friend pats you on the back, tells you that you were the best thing in the play and takes you for a pint.

re Critical Reviews)
I can't agree with your apples and pears comment. The end product of an actor's labours is a film or theatre performance; the end product of a writer's labours is a novel; the end product of a songwriter's labours is a song. The end product of a magic creator's labours is a magic effect. That is seperate from any performance of said effects. Some magic creators are not professional performers and most perfomers are not creators. You are both. But we are discussing your work as a creator. Therefore I feel my analogy holds.

re Adam's Blog)
I said at the very start that you have every right to be angry if Adam's review is factually incorrect. It was the unseemly personal slights I was defending Adam against. I did so because it seems to be an all too frequent tactic on here to personally attack anyone who posts a critical comment. I honestly think it is a form (admittedly mild) of bullying. But I equally think Adam's "junk" comment was uncalled for and should have been retracted. There should be no place for personal abuse from reviewers or reviewed, or friends of the reviewed.

Anyway, as I have said, in the end I probably suspect I have more in common aesthetically with you than I do with Adam. I was writing about a point of principle. I wish you every success in the future with both your writing and performing.

Regards,
Martin.
It has been an interesting thread indeed.

You are right about friends being encouraging and telling you what you want to hear. There is truth to that. My family and friends outside of the magic community do that when they feel I need it. I'm specifically referring to my friends within the mentalism community. They are bruttaly honest. We all are with each other. That's the only way we get better. We are a very small, tight knit community. Not all, but at least the ones I surround myself with.

Anyway Martin, your thoughts are much appreciated. Given me a few things to think about. Thanks! :)

BQ
I'd just like to reinforce that while I have met Brandon, I haven't interacted with him much enough to call him friend. I'd love to call him my friend in the future if he's willing, as I think his work takes ideas in interesting directions. I look forward to future conversations that have been unlocked with him because of PHATHOM.

While some of these routines won't work right out of the box for me because of my vegan lifestyle and the type of folks I find myself performing for, with a little thought I have adopted and catered the effects I found interest with into my act (as anyone adopting someone else's work should do in light of simply being another copy and paste of the same old story).
It is difficult for those of us based outside of the US to make a decision on purchasing PHATHOM due to the cultural based issues mentioned in the thread.

Are these issues insurmountable, or are we talking about basic principles that, with a little thought, could be adapted for any culture or nationality?
Martin,

Great questions. I'll try to address them as accurate as possible. There are specifically three routines/concepts/effects in the book that pose some challenges adapting to specific regions, and even languages.

It's a bit of an exaggeration to say they are insurmountable, as well as an exaggeration to say they would take little thought. The initial creations of these routines took quite a bit of thinking, and hours upon hours of performing to work out all the nuances and subtleties. In order to convert Telegeusia to a different culture, (but in English) really should take very little effort. To convert it into a new language would take quite a bit of effort. It's possible, but wouldn't be easy.

As for Telegeusia II.. that should be even easier to convert into a different culture. Although, the theme/premise may not be restricted to just food. It can be really anything.

As for R.A.M., this is the effect that can be done in any language, but will be abit of a challenge to fit into a different culture outside of the united states. It's not impossible by any means, but isn't a total cake walk.

Adam is 100% right that these routines are not out of the box ready to play... That's not just considering people out of the U.S. but for anyone looking to perform these routines. They are advanced routines that require a certain level of knowledge of mentalism to perform.

As for the other three rouutines... Well that's a whole different topic, but has nothing to do with cultural or language barriers.

If anyone seriously considering purchasing PHATHOM, please feel free to PM me or E-mail and I'd be happy to answer any questions and to clarify anything before making the jump. I'm not hiding anything or trying to decieve anyone. I'm very open and easay to talk to, and Adam can at least attest to that. His choice to decline my generosity and excellent customer service is his own perogative.

Thanks for the questions. :)

BQ
Thank you Brandon for your in-depth response.
Adam, love the blog.

Brandon, love the book.

My thoughts on PHATHOM, specfically regarding value for money.
It is expensive. $45 for an ebook is tough. I had problems downloading, which Brandon responded to as fast as he could. I HATE putting in a password every time I read it, but it is what it is.

Getting that out of the way however, I think the book is fantastic. There are so many lessons within these tricks on spec management, pumping/fishing, loads of psychology etc. SO much food for thought (pun intended, only if you've read the book =). I'll fully admit I've only tried Telegeusia once and it failed miserably, but I choose to look at that as user error. Gotta tighten up those presentation skills. A lot of these routines require the spectator to really move from thought to thought (you are of course guiding them along the way) and there are multiple places you can lose them. Brandon does his best to advise you on managing all of this, but lets be honest - even a 2 hour DVD wouldn't cover everything you need to know.

You gotta get out there and put in the work. That's at least how I see it.

And that is where the rub is. For $45 I do wish the book was 3x its size. Or some DVD type file with a larger discussion covering more nuance - there is just ALOT to learn here. Think of these routines like psychological forces (on steroids) in a way - you can get them to one of the outcomes you want, but if you don't? Well, unlike a psy force, you just put them through a LONG routine of mental gymnastics and came up with the wrong outcome. So that can be tough.

With that said though, I really have enjoyed reading this book. I wish it were larger, or cheaper, or I got in on the preorder. But we all have a right to price our material however we want. In my opinion, the art of mentalism is improved with things like this coming out. If I have to be part of the fanbase that subsidizes this type of creativity, then so be it. It's important material, even if it is hard to nail.
Brandon,

Been trying to reach you in regards to the physical book. Any updates? I thought they were already supposed to be going out? Drop me a an email or PM please.
Tmoca,

check your e-mail. Thanks! :)
Just got my physical copy of Phathom, I've been keeping kind of silent on the fact that I purchased it because...well...it's really really great stuff. Telegeusia is worth the price of admission alone as is Psycho Dysphagia, I use both almost daily both live as well as over the phone. Will it be right for everyone around the world...no, but for me being a mentalist starting his career started in the central United States, it is killer stuff. Thank you Brandon for releasing this rare find of thinking to us all.

Best Wishes,
-Jakob
It really is phenomenal. Took some time for me to appreciate, but worth every penny. One of my fav reads in a LONG time.
Thanks for the kind words guys! Glad you've enjoyed the material in the book. :)
Brandon, saw this is sold out. Are you going to print this again? Thanks! Jeff
Cyber Monday?

I have exactly eight physical copies of my book PHATHOM left. These are the final remaining copies.

The book initially sold for $50.00, but if you pick up one of the last remaining copies within the next 48 hours, you will get the Book PLUS the instant download E-book for just $35.00.

I expect these to go really fast, and once these are gone, I will not be printing any more in this format.

http://brandonqueen.com/product/phathom-book/
Sweet, got one! =)
I PICKED ONE UP, wELL WoRth iT.
After having so many people asking me about my book 'PHATHOM' I've decided to print one more run. I'm only printing 30 copies. Price is $35.00. Comes with instant download of e-book and access to my private discussion page on FB.

http://brandonqueen.com/phathom/
Message: Posted by: Magical Dimensions (Feb 27, 2014 02:43PM)
I ordered the book a few hours ago. Still waiting for the instant download of the E-book.

Looking forward to reading this.

Best
Ray
Ray,

Should be in your e-mail. Message me if it didn't come through. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the material. Thanks again for your support!
Hi Brandon,

I had a problem with your website so I've pm'd you,

Cheers,

Tony
I have been re reading my copy of Phathom recently and PSYCHO DYSPHAGIA is a beautiful impromptu and visual effect. Well done Brandon 😃
Saw the trailer of this and the trailer was awesome.