(Close Window)
Topic: When Kids attack!!!
I was doing the Raven for some kid and he practiclly jumped me, trying to see up my sleeve (the wrong sleeve BTW) he did'nt get the trick but wanted to find out. He was about 12 and fast.

My question is, what do you say to kids who out of the blue try to frisk you to try and find the devices they think you conceal.

In moments like this ya kinda lose the magic, know what I mean?
[b]Excuse me!..What are you doing?[/b] The rest of the people here cannot see because you are blocking their view. Please have a seat so the rest can enjoy the magic.

(Wait until he sits down.)
Thank You

(Now move on to the next effect)
I am with Dennis on this one. In cases like this you really do need to be a little firm and let them know that that behavior is not appreciated and that they are interfering with the enjoyment for others.
" Careful you will squash the pigieons"
Phillip :firedevil:
I would ask who child he is and have the parent take control of him. If nothing is done, others will copy.
Well first, we also have to make sure if the child is:

1) just being a brat

or

2) he is so amazed by what he saw that he is reacting to the magical moment without realizing what he is doing is wrong

That is why I would try to be direct but in a more lighthearted fashion so I can judge by his reaction, as to which of the above categories he falls into.
If it was in the context of a formal show then you be firm and directive and continue as "the show must go on." (Although I always enjoyed what Johnny Carson had to say about that old adage , "The show must go on...not necessarily with me, it just needs to go on."

If, however, this occurred as a demonstration for a few people and was not really a paid show, the correct response for me would be, "Shows over."
At the start of my birthday show I place a line of tape (or if I forget my tape, a line of 260 balloons) on the floor. The first thing I tell everyone is that if they go past the line the show stops. I have NEVER had anyone go past the line. Call it luck because sooner or later someone will "attack" but it seems to work really well for me. Hope this helps.

Keith
A quick jab to the eye (any eye) and insist the unruley child threw himself on your stationary hand. They're usually too stunned to even cry - especially if school friends are attending "their" party - can't be seen crying in front of classmates.

Usually teaches 'em good.

Proceed with your miracles.
HI,
My assumption was that because Joel was using Raven he was performing close up?

I have never had anyone frisk me in a stand up show but in close up occasionaly some one, usually adult female, will. Which is when I use the line above they usualy pat my jacket as I would never have sleeves when working close up.
Phillip
Phillip:
It is a nice way to take control of a situation but in a manner that fits your character and allows you to keep in your performance mode.
I've never had a kid do that during a show, (usually if they get that close they're a puncher). But I have had it happen on the occassions when I'm showing an older kid a bit of close-up when I'm doing walk about balloons & magic or before/after a show. I deal with it much the same as Phil, only I tailor the words to fit the situation etc.

I had one who tried it once when I did a vanish and I just said "your right it was a piece of elastic, it goes up my arm, down my back, down my trouser leg and into my shoe." I took my shoe off and said, "the best bit is when it gets there it's invisible" and showed him the inside off my shoe.

He was stupid enough to be gobsmacked and it stopped him in his tracks.
I work a lot of Mitzvahs and I had this happen all the time. Then one day I realized they were just trying to look smart in front of thier friends, so I learned to turn them on each other.

I'm not too much older than them so that also helps, but I usually look at "the cool kid" and say, "Are you going to let your friend ruin the trick for everyone?" The problem child usually stops right then.

If not, "the cool kid" ussually says something that prompts the end. So in small groups find "the cool kid' and play to them, get them on your side and everyone else will follow.

Fitz
Thank you all so very much!

RandyStewart

I was laughing on the floor from your comment because I actually thought of doing that one LOL.

But to clear things up, It was just three of the neighborhood kids, and yes it was close-up of course. One of them (think that he knew what was going on) just got a little excited and tried to feel up the back of my jacket. (I had the Raven up the sleeve)

It caught me off guard of course, but I couldn't seem to get him to stop and he proceeded to pushed me back ruining it for the other kids who had no idea. (I'm 32 BTW) It was a sad sad moment and nothing I said seemed to calm him down.

But all of your advice seems like good ideas. I ran into the same kids tonight and showed them a new one, but this time, I told them that they can't jump me to try at the end of the trick. That worked.

Great advice, one-and-all thanks so much!

Emazdad forgot to mention that was a great idea to, I use the same sort of thing when people thing they've seen "IT" so I pull a hair off my head and tell them that it's a small invisable string and then hand it to them... the rolling eyes normally fallow when they thought they had it.
Yes, coming up with a funny suggestion to how the effect COULD work, usually does get the kids to calm down. I like that idea as well.
If you are not going to make the kids disappear, you better disappear.
I've found in small groups of children that simply telling them you wont show them anymore if their behavior continues works well. In most cases, they are just fascinated by the magic and they will stop and behave. The ones that still don't stop aren't worth spending any more time on in my experience - admitted limited, but its worked so far.