(Close Window)
Topic: Psypher by Robert Smith - Product Review... anyone know?
Hey guys,

If you don't already know this gimmick... take a look here:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2135

I would like to hear from someone with some experience with this product. Is it worth it? is it reliable?

Any thoughts? (thanks)
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Mar 18, 2013 04:10PM)
Yes. Buy it immediately! The only key stipulation is that you MUST perform it while wearing a hat. It will not be believable otherwise!
Not being mean, but if you use google to search this place, you'll find looooooooooads of reviews, thoughts and comparisons about this and related "stuff"...
Ah! I knew it was all in the HAT!

Thanks guys, I'll check it out.
I'm just skeptical about the quality since I purchased a similar trick from magicgeek, and it turned out to be so horrible, it fails about 90% of the time, and I ended up literally throwing it away.
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Mar 18, 2013 04:15PM)
Sent you a PM.
This one is far better it fails only 73,2% of the time.
Thanks Parmenion, this is what I'm worried about.

Innercirclewannabe.... I didn't get a PM :S
Message: Posted by: innercirclewannabe (Mar 18, 2013 04:24PM)
Innercirclewannabe.... I didn't get a PM :S

Just to confirm that you did get it, and we replied to each other.

Good luck with it.

Robert.
Yes, thank you, I did get it a few minutes later. :)
I love it - use it all the time - extremely reliable if you properly set the gimmick and audience manage - I rate it a 9 out of 10.

But what the heck do I know - listen to Parmenion, he knows everything.

If you do get it, you must remove the protective plastic film on the gimmick. Most people don't do it as it isn't mentioned anywhere about the plastic film - hence many find the imp suck. Read the thread here on the Café and many of us contributed to lots of helpful hints.

I think Psypher is gold.

Are there better imp devices? Sure.

But for the $ Psypher is superb - and B Smith did a great job on the DVD too.

I use it at gigs all the time.
Yea, it's not very expensive, and there are so many uses for it that I can think of.
Thanks for the review Saysold1!!
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=396987&forum=111

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=396682&forum=109&start=0

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=382488&forum=218
WoW... I'm going to search better next time :)
This forum doesn't have the easier search functionality.

Thank you
Use google - it is your best pal.

For any search, just type in the subject and magic Café...

So... in the Google box I typed:

Psypher Robert Smith + Magic Café
[quote]
On 2013-03-18 18:28, saysold1 wrote:
I love it - use it all the time - extremely reliable if you properly set the gimmick and audience manage - I rate it a 9 out of 10.

But what the heck do I know - listen to Parmenion, he knows everything.

I use it at gigs all the time.
[/quote]

Yes, of course, but unfortunately I don't give my opinion as you do on each topic...lol
[quote]
On 2013-03-18 17:10, innercirclewannabe wrote:
Yes. Buy it immediately! The only key stipulation is that you MUST perform it while wearing a hat. It will not be believable otherwise!
[/quote]

Yes, you must wear a hat...just not THAT one!
[quote]
If you do get it, you must remove the protective plastic film on the gimmick. Most people don't do it as it isn't mentioned anywhere about the plastic film - hence many find the imp suck. Read the thread here on the Café and many of us contributed to lots of helpful hints.

[/quote]
I literally use it at least 6 times a week, when I go to the bank, the grocery store, the bathroom, and it has always worked for me, I didn't know I was supposed to remove it lol!
For those interested in this particular method, the most reliable is the ParaPad from ParaLabs. It uses a much higher grade of material for the gimmick which, in turn, produces far superior results.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Psypher is a great tool for imp***n and the price is good.
I prefer Mind Buster more (When I do a stage performance)
Psypher is good for Close up / Street etc.
I agree with Bob that the Parapad is superior in terms of the material and sensitivity- but triple the cost.

But I have found that with Psypher if you reset the material and "clear" it a few times (read the links I left above) you will nearly always get a stronger result.

As far as a Mindbuster... I want one badly. Chaching.
[quote]
On 2013-03-18 20:46, Ulises Galeano wrote:
[quote]

[/quote]
I literally use it at least 6 times a week, when I go to the bank, the grocery store, the bathroom, and it has always worked for me, I didn't know I was supposed to remove it lol!
[/quote]

Yes the protective plastic film is like a "raincoat" - much better without!

Your results and mileage may vary lol.
[quote]
On 2013-03-18 22:32, mentalist.kin wrote:
Psypher is a great tool for imp***n and the price is good.
I prefer Mind Buster more (When I do a stage performance)
Psypher is good for Close up / Street etc.
[/quote]

Wow... Mindbuster isn't cheap. I think I will still with the simpler one for now. :)
Message: Posted by: Michael_MacDonald (Mar 19, 2013 02:21PM)
I prefer the butterfly by riggs as the imp I get is more visible to me in a less then average lighting situation.
[quote]
On 2013-03-19 15:21, Michael_MacDonald wrote:
I prefer the butterfly by riggs as the imp I get is more visible to me in a less then average lighting situation.
[/quote]

Thanks - sounds interesting.. however, I havn't been able to find a good place to buy it.
All I found was [url=http://www.jonsaintgermain.com/Mascot%20Moth.htm]this[/url].

Do you know any other stores? (something that looks a bit more legitimate?
Message: Posted by: Michael_MacDonald (Mar 19, 2013 03:16PM)
http://www.jonsaintgermain.com/Butterfly.htm
[quote]
On 2013-03-19 15:26, yankay37 wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-03-19 15:21, Michael_MacDonald wrote:
[/quote]

Thanks - sounds interesting.. however, I havn't been able to find a good place to buy it.
All I found was [url=http://www.jonsaintgermain.com/Mascot%20Moth.htm]this[/url].

Do you know any other stores? (something that looks a bit more legitimate?
[/quote]

A bit more legitimate? Not sure what you mean as the site you link to IS John Rigg's site. Jon Saint Germain is his stage name.

Good thoughts,

Bob
Ooops... I'm sorry :(

I didn't realize. I just saw a very very outdated website, and I'm reluctant to give my credit card information to a website like that.
I should have looked into it better. My apologies!!
I never use the Café search function,

site:themagiccafe.com what I want

is the best thing to use
I recently received my first Butterfly pads from John Riggs (actually a Butterfly, a Papillion and Superfly). These are my first "real" impression pads. I've not used Psypher or the ParaPad.

I'm absolutely loving the Riggs pads! Excellent impressions, and a wide variety of writing implements can be used - pen, pencil, even ungimmicked Sharpies.

If you buy pads from John:

- Take his warnings seriously about the wait times. John's a busy working professional and makes these items as he has time available.

- These are literally home-made. I think they're excellent, but be ready for little things that only you'll see that make that evident (e.g., raggedly-torn tape, etc.).

- Get John's DVD on the use and maintenance of his pads. Worth it 4 times over, I think.

Did I mention that I kind of like these pads? :)
Another admittedly unsolicited vote for the ParaP*d. There is no better device for all lighting situations and all pen "pressures."

Riggs imps are very good. I use mine primarily for drawing dupes.

I have found Psypher to be of very limited use...so I don't use it.

David
[quote]
On 2013-03-19 20:52, David Thiel wrote:
Another admittedly unsolicited vote for the ParaP*d. There is no better device for all lighting situations and all pen "pressures."

David
[/quote]

David, David, David...Oy (finger wagging a little) - I recall in your EARLY (2011) DAYS (prior to fame and fortunes) that you said Psypher was pretty groovy. You did!!! I re-read the thread.

Then you went and got all spoiled with Parapad - the ultimate imp pad.

German engineered perfection. It really is.

I have both and I agree 1000% that Parapad is the ultimate driving machine - so really there is no comparison.

But for me Psypher does what I need it to do when I need it... and so for a starter mentalist or someone who doesn't want to shell out the extra $$$, Psypher is a pretty cool little tool.

Now I feel better :) Ahhhh.....
[quote]
On 2013-03-19 18:48, Olympic Adam wrote:

is the best thing to use
[/quote]

Will do. Thanks!!
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Mar 20, 2013 11:37AM)
[quote]
On 2013-03-19 23:13, saysold1 wrote:
[quote]
On 2013-03-19 20:52, David Thiel wrote:

David
[/quote]

David, David, David...Oy (finger wagging a little) - I recall in your EARLY (2011) DAYS (prior to fame and fortunes) that you said Psypher was pretty groovy. You did!!! I re-read the thread.

Then you went and got all spoiled with Parapad - the ultimate imp pad.

German engineered perfection. It really is.

I have both and I agree 1000% that Parapad is the ultimate driving machine - so really there is no comparison.

But for me Psypher does what I need it to do when I need it... and so for a starter mentalist or someone who doesn't want to shell out the extra $$$, Psypher is a pretty cool little tool.

Now I feel better :) Ahhhh.....
[/quote]
Hey Brett, did you ever thought about to go into politics? ;)

You should! :lol:

Cheers my friend
Th.
Brett, Brett, Brett...

If you're driving a Yugo and someone puts the keys to a Porsche into your hands, do you close your eyes and hop back into the Yugo?

David

PS: The last time someone waggled a finger in my face I bit it off. OOPS...that case is still before the court. I should have said "The last time someone waggled a finger in my face I ALLEGEDLY bit it off." :)
OUCH!

Love you David :)

I wonder if anyone knows what a Yugo is these days? That was one hot car.
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Mar 22, 2013 07:46AM)
Not trying to me 'smart' but the cheaper types of pads are more or less disposable. So to use the car analogy, do you want one really nice Porsche or a garage full of Yugos and Ladas that you can just abandon at will?
I've not seen the Paralabs pad so I'm only following others' judgements that it truly is the equivalent of a Porsche :) I do, however, have a box full of (Tommy Pad and Scanner) Yugo/Lada parts.
T.
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Mar 22, 2013 09:39AM)
Well, Ted, just in case someone is asking - please give me advice :) :

Should I recommend either a 'Porsche-like' set of [url=http://mind.hak.me/products/mk-mod/]UK-made ESP-Cards[/url] for a comparatively higher price ...
... or should I rather recommend the questioner any of the cheaper 'Yugo-alternatives' - I mean, with a little research you may get at least two or even more sets of the cheaper ones for the price of a 'Porsche-set'.

When I'm asked the next time, Ted, which ones should I recommend?
Just asking, ... ;)

My Granny used to say (forgive me the clumsy translation) [i]"Buying cheaply - buying doubly!"[/i] - and while this obviously may be an illegitimate broad statement, I found a truth in her words more often than not ... as my Granny was a wise woman. [img]http://www.paralabs.org/images/smilies/friends3.gif[/img]

Cheers
Th.
Granny's usually are.

I once asked mine "Granny, when you was little girl, what did pterodactyls look like?"

She kept wisely silent as I recall.

Steve
I have to agree that the Para Pad is the Porsche. I too have Tommy pads and other imp devices but the biggest problem with pressure based imp pads is the higher chance of failure. I have had 3 occasions where the tommy pad has failed due to lack of pressure, the para pad will get a perfect impression no matter how lightly they write.

Tommy is cheap and disposable so it is my daily use pad but when I absolutely need to get the imp it has to be the Para Pad.

Mark
Message: Posted by: Simon (Ted) Edwards (Mar 25, 2013 12:52PM)
[quote]
On 2013-03-22 10:39, ParaLabs - Thomas wrote:
Well, Ted, just in case someone is asking - please give me advice :) :

Should I recommend either a 'Porsche-like' set of [url=http://mind.hak.me/products/mk-mod/]UK-made ESP-Cards[/url] for a comparatively higher price ...
... or should I rather recommend the questioner any of the cheaper 'Yugo-alternatives' - I mean, with a little research you may get at least two or even more sets of the cheaper ones for the price of a 'Porsche-set'.

When I'm asked the next time, Ted, which ones should I recommend?
Just asking, ... ;)

My Granny used to say (forgive me the clumsy translation) [i]"Buying cheaply - buying doubly!"[/i] - and while this obviously may be an illegitimate broad statement, I found a truth in her words more often than not ... as my Granny was a wise woman. [img]http://www.paralabs.org/images/smilies/friends3.gif[/img]

Cheers
Th.
[/quote]

Ha! :)

I think Mark's point above is very valid - that of reliability. And working conditions. For example, p**-sh** work may not need a first class device because, if you get a problem, you could possibly have another go (with someone else). But live work would be a different kettle of fish.

As for my recommendation, Thomas? Follow your Granny's advice, of course! :)
T.
Message: Posted by: ParaLabs - Thomas (Mar 25, 2013 01:03PM)
Will do! ;)

Cheers
Th.
Soon I will post the image from my Psypher in a typical situation - I don't think I have seen anyone else do that and I don't think it would be exposure.

May not have time to do it until next week...

But Parapad is still king.
Everything Paraguys do is the best no question.
[quote]
On Mar 20, 2013, David Thiel wrote:
Brett, Brett, Brett...

If you're driving a Yugo and someone puts the keys to a Porsche into your hands, do you close your eyes and hop back into the Yugo?

David

PS: The last time someone waggled a finger in my face I bit it off. OOPS...that case is still before the court. I should have said "The last time someone waggled a finger in my face I ALLEGEDLY bit it off." :)
[/quote]

Well I'm no longer driving a YUGO but still get lots of mileage from Psypher at gigs. I still love the organic nature of it with good imp and visible in many situations.

And even after years of using it I just learned something new this week:

1. I just tried gimm*****g a Phoenix Parlour deck and it works AMAZINGLY well combined with Psypher. Really nice. With a fresh piece of material cut to fit the bigger size - and the larger cards are perfect for bigger settings. Love it.

2. If you want to use the Parlour size deck you will also need to create a kind of "shim" inside the box using about 8-10 stacked and glued business cards stuck to the interior middle of the box. The reason is that the cards when inside the box have a bit too much play room - and hence the g*****k doesn't push as flush to the back side of the inside of the card box. With the shim cards inside you will be blown by how clear the imp is.

3. The shim idea brings me to this point - for those who have shelved their Psypher unhappy with the imp - I would suggest even trying adding 3-5 business cards and glue them in the same way to the inside of your Bike or other brand of box. This should have the same effect of puching the gimmick tight and flush to the interior side of the box facing the side which will be written on. The result I think will be a VERY dark & legible imp that you will love.

The shim idea (with cards) has never to my knowledge been suggested since Psypher came out.

It in no way hinders the removal of the cards, but I think you will be blown away by the difference in quality of imp.

This may be a Yugo, but for me Psypher still runs like a little Honda S2000 - I get some great mileage out of it.
The Parapad material works perfectly with ANY brand of playing cards. No shim required. I easily get a perfect imp on the second card from the face of the cased pack. (the material is glued to the face of that card.) Thus, the pack can be freely removed from the case without anything being seen. I glimpse the imp while spreading through the pack.

Not possible with the Psypher material.

It's the imp material more than the pad itself that makes ParaPad far superior.
As usual Bob is right - ParaPad still reigns as king.

But I have never had Psypher fail me in a show so far, and for that I am still happy with it.

Another big plus is that wit Parapad you get amazing support - and with Psypher it seems to be dwindling.
You say it, Bob said it :) . Jan
[quote]
On Mar 19, 2013, Olympic Adam wrote:

is the best thing to use
[/quote]

Very useful, thank you.
Message: Posted by: count_cashliostro (Mar 13, 2014 12:56AM)
I use Psypher a lot and I love it. I have gimmicked many things at this point. My only problem seems to be participant management because they will sometimes write like Lilliputians despite me saying, "write it in big block letters so you can visualize it clearly and easily." This same problem would be true with any device that I know of though! ;-)

I also love Riggs' stuff.

Haven't gotten Parapad as I've spent too much on imp devices as it is, since they are a luxury!
[quote]
On Mar 3, 2014, JanForster wrote:
You say it, Bob said it :) . Jan
[/quote]

Jan got a new face - I mean Avatar :-)

Nice photo Jan - you handsome devil.
You inspired me to take the plunge to!
[quote]On Mar 20, 2013, David Thiel wrote:
Brett, Brett, Brett...

[/quote]

I know its over a year ago but David ...... why did you suddenly go offtopic and on to blindfold drives? Are you getting someone to do a drawing of the route then you drive it blindfolded? :)

Guys this is a great thread.

I have some useful info on drawing supe that I am looking in to AND also a search technique for using Goodle to search a specific site.

Thanks to all of you ......

ahh the memory of the Ugos and Ladas!
I still love Psypher - use it all the time
I also use psypher, I wish I could get a larger sheet of that material, anyone know who sells bigger ones ?
Is this what you are looking for mi Amigo?

http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/2147
Also Penguin seems to finally have the Psypher Pens available again after a long long time on non-availability.
(grumble...grumble...I still use Parapad...only ParaPad...grumble..."psypher?"...snort...pffft....grumble...Yugo drivers suck...)
😃😃😃
Here is a phto of the imp I received from a performance with Psypher ths evening (card box - name and card routine).

This is typical for me and highly legible as you can plainly see - no issues.

One little trick/hint is that I inserted 2-3 blank glued business cards to the inside (back) of the playing card box. This helps to keep the playing cards more tightly pushed forward, so the gimmick receives a better (more clear) imp.

I still use my Psupher often and it has never failed me...

It packs a very powerful punch.
[quote]On Jul 3, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
Also Penguin seems to finally have the Psypher Pens available again after a long long time on non-availability. [/quote]

Of course, if you use the ParaPad and have a ParaPen construction kit, you not only get better impressions, but you NEVER have to worry about getting a new pen when it runs out of ink.
[quote]On Jul 19, 2014, saysold1 wrote:
Here is a phto of the imp I received from a performance with Psypher ths evening (card box - name and card routine).

One little trick/hint is that I inserted 2-3 blank glued business cards to the inside (back) of the playing card box. This helps to keep the playing cards more tightly pushed forward, so the gimmick receives a better (more clear) imp.

It packs a very powerful punch. [/quote]

I really enjoy saysoldl's enthusiasm over the psypher pad. It encouraged me to buy one a few months ago and I'm extremely impressed with the results. I think it's failed me like 3x BUT it was my own fault :P
Just curious if you (saysoldl) ever perform 4DT using the psypher pad?
[quote]On Jul 25, 2014, chado158 wrote:
[quote]On Jul 19, 2014, saysold1 wrote:

It packs a very powerful punch. [/quote]

I really enjoy saysoldl's enthusiasm over the psypher pad. It encouraged me to buy one a few months ago and I'm extremely impressed with the results. I think it's failed me like 3x BUT it was my own fault :P
Just curious if you (saysoldl) ever perform 4DT using the psypher pad? [/quote]

Thank you!

Uh no I've never done Bob's 4DT with the Psypher - actually never thought of doing it that way. Good?
No. Bad idea, for the reasons I discussed at length in my "A Journey Through the 4th Dimension." Using an impression device for the routine is an old idea, but it has inherent problems- the foremost of which is that the entire routine is shot if the impression doesn't come out. It is far better to look at original copy and to use traditional billets rather than having anyone write anything on a pad of any sort. (And, believe me, I have experimented with virtually every method that has been used for the effect.)

And if you did it with an impression device it would no longer be my version of the effect. It would be closer to Al Koran's (which used an NCR pad).
The way I perform it is actually similar to the Ultimate 4DT in the same book using it in the envelopes. No one ahead needed! How often have you performed it this way compared to your normal way with the sh**** env?
It isn't bad and does get the job done. If you get it, you should probably switch out the marker for a sharpie pen (as Smith suggests and explains). But, yeah. There are better imp pads out there and I do continue to hear great things about the ParaPad (though I have not actually used it). All that failing? Make your own (i.e. something like the Scanner pad from Prager's "Goat's Grimoire")
[quote]On Sep 12, 2014, chado158 wrote:
The way I perform it is actually similar to the Ultimate 4DT in the same book using it in the envelopes. No one ahead needed! How often have you performed it this way compared to your normal way with the sh**** env? [/quote]

I never perform it that way anymore. I prefer to look at the original writing/drawing whenever possible.
Methods. Searchable forum. Trivialising the art. Downstairs?
Anyone have a review of the re-release of psypher? Is it as good as the original?
[quote]On Mar 18, 2013, parmenion wrote:
This one is far better it fails only 73,2% of the time. [/quote]

lol. I miss you!
Not reliable. Nothing beats John Riggs pads