(Close Window)
Topic: BEST Self Working Card Trick with No Setup / Gimmicks
I Know only "Devastation" and "4,5,6 Paket Trick" which seems similar. Are they any other ones that are amazing and requiered NO SETUP or any other Gimmicks or Sleights of Hand. Or Card Tricks which are completely handled by the Spectator ?

Thank you for your Attention !
Gemini Twins is a popular one, also Untouched...not in my personal preferance but they are good.
Check here, many many links. I am in your same quest. :)

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=244245&forum=206

Here is another, same topic you asked.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=247153&forum=206
The clear winner here is Steve Beam and his volumes of books. Like them or not, there's tons of effects to choose from.

One of my favorites is Quadruple Prediction.
Message: Posted by: James Kellogg III (Apr 10, 2013 03:37PM)
Con Cam Coincindencia by Paul Wilson has been one of my favorite self working tricks since I first saw him do it a few years ago

here is the link
http://shop.dananddave.com/con-cam-coincidencia.html
Check out "Rainman" by Joseph Barry on his Inscrutable 2 Disc set. You can begin the effect by using two unopened decks if you wish.

Joej
Impossible by Larry Jennings, trust me. ;)

Overkill by Paul Harris - again please trust me.

Also, the moves are elementary, so check out Harry Lorayne's Guess Quotient in Best of Friends III

If you can Charlier Cut, also check out Harry Lorayne's Take Me to Your Leader.

I will also add my voice to the Steve Beam series. These are phenomenal. Now, I will give you a sweet tip that will save you money if you can't get the Beam books at present. Go to Aldo Colombini's site (also FULL of great "self-workers") and snag the e-book called Killer Koncepts. What this is a an e-book of effects based upon Steven Beam's Killer Count from v.5 of Semi-Automatic Card Tricks. With this count, which is EASY, you can do crazy things like dead on estimation, and, there are two BEAUTIFUL variants of Charlie Miller's classic Dunbury Delusion. The e-book is 10 USD - like everything else on Aldo's site, so shop around and I PROMISE you will be happy.

Also, the Karl Fulves series of Self Working Card Tricks books are crammed with gems. Big Blind Media released a DVD that I have heard is a phenomenal collection of self-workers.

Lastly, don't dismiss the classics and here I am referring to The Encyclopedia of Card Tricks. PILES of self workers with no setups. In fact, the very first effect in the book "Twin Souls" by the great Al Baker is well worth the price of the book.

Namaste,
Vlad
[quote]
On 2013-04-11 10:36, Joemv wrote:
Check out "Rainman" by Joseph Barry on his Inscrutable 2 Disc set. You can begin the effect by using two unopened decks if you wish.

Joej
[/quote]

This is a phenomenal effect. For some, it might take a little (very little) practice to be able to perform it smoothly, but, it is well worth the minimal effort required.

(I love effects where the method is laid right out in the open, seen by the spectators but never suspected (or recognized as such) by them.)

Mike

P.S. BTW, the two unopened decks mentioned by Joemy, above, can be purchased by a spectator and brought to the performance by that spectator and then opened during the performance by the spectator. What you see is what you (and the audience) gets.
My response to "show me something" is usually Fogel's triple. So simple, even I can sell it. :)
Just a plea for future posters, Can you please stop posting asking about the "BEST" etc...
It doesn't exist. Everyone has a different opinion and therefore it comes down to personal taste.
A better way to word it is to ask about Good or Practical methods/tricks regarding something.
Throw me a deck of shuffled cards and I will do impromptu wonders with Simon Aronson's 'Undo Influence' principle (think in terms of his 'Prior Commitment').

The basic principle itself is very adaptable.You can choose to use a prediction or not as the circumstances allow.

For example one could have a card cut to by any spectator who is celebrating a birthday, have it buried in the middle of the deck and then have it miraculously appear in the position designated by their age.

Or alternatively perhaps use a tarot deck and follow a "Power of 13" theme. One might have the spectator cut to a card only to have it somehow appear in the thirteenth position.You would achieve this through having the spectator openly turn over (face up) the 13th and 26th (26=13+13 you exclaim) cards which are to represent "the past and the future". Then have them cut a third of the deck (1/3=13 modified you exclaim).Then do the necessary... In the process of taking the two face up cards out of the deck simply return one ("The card representing the past") to the bottom of deck and place the remaining card ("The card representing the future") to the top of deck.

If you are familiar with this principle you will be able to experiment and see what I mean.
Not telling
I would agree with James on Con Cam Coincindencia by Paul Wilson. Wonderful effect!
Stonehenge by Lennart Green.
[quote]
On 2013-04-10 16:37, James Kellogg III wrote:
Con Cam Coincindencia by Paul Wilson has been one of my favorite self working tricks since I first saw him do it a few years ago

here is the link
[/quote]

WOW! All the while I thought that this effect used one or more gimmicks. This is great news that this effect can be performed impromptu and uses no gimmicks. I'm in.
The spiral principal
[quote]
On 2013-04-11 19:33, Vlad_77 wrote:

Overkill by Paul Harris - again please trust me.

[/quote]

"Overkill" is a great effect however it is not impromptu ...

Mike

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It really doesn't get any better than An Impossible Conclusion by John Carey very magical and visual :)
Timely Departure (John Bannon)! Lovely effect!
Miraskill - Stewart James
[quote]
On 2013-06-16 14:57, TheMag1cian wrote:
[/quote]

Yes but if deck is borrowed, you need to count how many cards...less impromptu ;-)
You could do Clock of Doom by John Bannon instead, which doesn't require you to count the cards but isn't self working.
On Roberto Giobbi's Card Collage DVD there is an effect he calles Belchou Aces Revisited, I think its great & I believe it is another take on The Spectators cutting to the Aces. Then he goes into a great poker deal.
The Biddle Trick, uses a minor sleight, practically self-working. You can add in false counts etc., but not necessary.
[quote]
On 2013-06-16 14:57, TheMag1cian wrote:
[/quote]
My favorite changes a lot but right now I would pick this one.
At a magic club picnic some years back, Harry Lorayne once showed me his Impromptu Out of This World from "My Favorite Card Tricks" (1965). Like a lot of performers, I had this book in my library, where the effect remained hidden until it was brought to my attention by the author.

Wow!
Hello everyone ,

I have often been told that self working card tricks with no gimmicks are dull, repetitive and only for hobbyists or newbies and not real workers.

Personally I have never prescribed to this general point of view . However the proof is in the pudding as they say and so I put together am effect which met the following criteria .

Borrowed shuffled deck
No gimmicks
No manipulation to the cards I.e nail nicks , cri*ps etc
No stooging or duality
No set up
No memorisation
Spectators can burn your hands
Pretty much impossible to back track

The above are the standard criteria met but I wanted to set a higher bar

That leaves a long lasting impression on the audience
When asked for a repeat performance it can be done with no fear of the audience becoming any the wiser as to how the impossible is done
An effect good enough for a pro to put in their working repertoire

The effect in question is "The Crusade " and already has a 7 page thread in the latest and greatest with numerous reviews and testimonials which show an ungimmcked self worker can stand equal to a sleight of hand effect

What I did no expect was for the effect to be doing so well on the best magic release of 2013 .

Long live the self worker !!!

Andrew
"Devastation" from Geoff Williams is exactly that.
Richard Vollmer has a lot of good self working tricks.
You can find some of them in Apocalyspe...

He wrote a lot of books (compilation from others magicians and creation by him) on the subject but most of them (maybe all) are in french
+1 for Aldo Colombini site to pick up Killer Koncepts for only $10. Thanks for all your suggestions Vlad-77.
[quote]
On 2013-08-02 03:08, a brown 1968 wrote:
Borrowed shuffled deck
No gimmicks
No stooging or duality
No set up
No memorisation
When asked for a repeat performance it can be done with no fear of the audience becoming any the wiser as to how the impossible is done.
An effect good enough for a pro to put in their working repertoire.

[/quote]

The above criterion also works with Spellbinder's Impromptu version of Grant's Slate of Mind, as described in his e-Book in his Mini-Mysteries Book 1 treatise on "Evolutionary Slate of Mind." Any borrowed shuffled deck may be used, as can any slate or substitute a writing pad for the slate. At the end, all the cards are back in the borrowed deck and all can be handled by spectators (read "examined"). Can be presented as a card trick or as a mentalist's prediction or brain control. The outcome is different each time it is performed.
I think Harry Lorayne's Stop! falls into the category, an AMAZING effect with very little effort in my opinion, quite ingenious.
Follow-up from my August 27th post:

Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki just made a video demonstration of Spellbinder's Evolutionary Slate of Mind. In the video, he's using a Dollar Store slate as a prop, but this can easily be replaced by an ordinary pad of paper, as described in the e-Book found in our Mini-Mysteries Book 1 on The Magic Nook.
Whoever brought up Con Cam Coincedincia, thank you! Just checked it out, and it is quite good - one I'll use a lot. Great effect
"think stop" would have to be one that's very ez to do , no set up at all , you can be handed a deck and go right into it , RRTCM , an impossible turn over card in deck from which the spec only taught of ,
gets my vote
Rouge De Noir, From a old Abbotts catalog. Not even listed on the web site any more.
An Impossible Conclusion by John Carey– An amazing effect. It is a very clean trick where a card vanishes, and reappears on the spelling of the word Impossible. It does not sound like much, but is amazing to laymen and very visual can be done with any deck of cards in fact you don't even need a full deck.
Once you've done a trick a couple hundred times.... aren't they all basically self-working?
I must agree with "An impossible Conclusion" by John Carey... An amazing trick!
It is not completely self working, but there is nothing difficult to do, there are some great principles inside, the trick itself is really great, you can use a borrowed shuffled deck (which I always love since you are really clean), it is always ready to go, no complex procedures or counting, all in all, have a look, you won't be disappointed!

merlin
I just came across this one recently by Andrew Normansell called "High Five" and must say it is quite a fooler and looks impossible. The spectator does most of the work and gets surprising results. Easy to do but has the look and feel of real magic.
[quote]
On 2014-01-23 23:29, Snidini wrote:
I just came across this one recently by Andrew Normansell called "High Five" and must say it is quite a fooler and looks impossible. The spectator does most of the work and gets surprising results. Easy to do but has the look and feel of real magic.
[/quote]

I agree it a nice one ! But there is a setup...
My proposition is Fifty-One Fat Chances by John Bannon, no setup and self-working and any incomplete trash deck will work.
The open prediction plot but presented like a game which keep the interest till the end. It uses a well-known sleight but so well hidden, I love it :)

Best
Like 100 Harry Lorayne effects (just buy and read his books.)

3 Fav's:

Back In Time (Sankey)
Impromptu ACAAN (Barrie Richardson)
Timely Departure (John Bannon)
Thanks Papa, I'll look into "Fat Chances". I love Bannons work. Can you steer me to which book or video it may be on? Thanks.
Gemini Twins. It still rocks!
[quote]
On 2014-02-01 12:43, TheMag1cian wrote:
Like 100 Harry Lorayne effects (just buy and read his books.)
[/quote]

amen ...
51 Fat Chances is in Bannon's book Open and Notorious published in 2009
[quote]
On 2014-02-02 17:48, cigmas wrote:
51 Fat Chances is in Bannon's book Open and Notorious published in 2009
[/quote]

And also his book "High Caliber" ;-)

best
John Scarne had a book in the 50's I think. It was chock full of tricks that were self-working. I think it was called Scarne on Cards.
Anybody familiar with it?
Concerning Con Cam Coincedincia...
a really good one! A real shuffled deck that can be borrowed... not difficult sleight or procedures... A real moment of magic if you can manage the people involved.
I just don't like the trailer that is in my opinion not so honnest... I understand you can't show the hole procedure to avoid backtracking, but the way it is shown is really (in a magician point of view) more magical than it is, so you could be disappointed.
However, a great trick!!!!

merlin
About the "Con Cam Coincedincia"'s trailer I can assure you that it´s not honnest at all!!!
[quote]
On 2014-02-06 09:01, merlin2812 wrote:
Concerning Con Cam Coincedincia...
a really good one! A real shuffled deck that can be borrowed... not difficult sleight or procedures... A real moment of magic if you can manage the people involved.
I just don't like the trailer that is in my opinion not so honnest... I understand you can't show the hole procedure to avoid backtracking, but the way it is shown is really (in a magician point of view) more magical than it is, so you could be disappointed.
However, a great trick!!!!

merlin
[/quote]

You're right; the trailer is 'dishonest.' As it turns out, when I'm performing, I'm dishonest as well. It comes with the territory!

So, without tipping the method, how would you modify the trailer?
I like your point of view BarryFernelius! Of course we are not completely honnest when performing! ;-)
Concerning the trailer, the only point that didn't seem completely fair, is the cut between the dealing procedure and the revelation... You see in the video what you wish the spectator to remember after: dealind the cards, stopping anywhere, revealing the last card dealt. That's not exactly what happens. No complains here, now the question of how to modify the trailer... you could keep it the way it is, but just add a short text of warning. Like the one in the video when you buy it, saying that the hole procedure won't be shown.
An other example, the video doesn't show how the 4 packages are made for each spectator, that doesn't botter me since they don't show it at all. If the video would show some spectator dividing the packet in 4 himself, then a cut (where the magician could touch the cards) then you see each spectator dealing the cards, I wouldn't be happy about that! That's the kind of feeling I have about the end of the video.

merlin

P.S For those afraid of the dealing procedures that was cut, nothing complicated at all!
[quote]
On 2014-02-05 19:11, virtualwizard wrote:
John Scarne had a book in the 50's I think. It was chock full of tricks that were self-working. I think it was called Scarne on Cards.
[/quote]

That's Scarne on Card TRICKS. And yes, I have it - some good stuff in there. Including what was (for me) my first encounter with the 10 card poker deal. I think it's called The Dean's Poker Deal, or something similar.

Scarne on cards is a different book, about rules of games and cheating at cards.
Gemini Twins
Karl Fulves books

Will have to check out Con Cam Coincedincia!
[quote]
On 2014-02-07 22:28, ablanathanalba wrote:

Will have to check out Con Cam Coincedincia!
[/quote]

It's a waste of time!!!!
I bought Con Cam Coincedincia several weeks ago- great effect.
If the entire effect was shown on the trailer it would be obvious- to magicians.
This is a terrific effect for layman. They don't stand a chance. I do nothing and stuff happens, is what they remember.
Obvious to you and me, but not them.
Gary
I read/followed along to 'Your Other Half' in Woody Aragon's book, and I felt like the book was possessed by evil, supernatural powers...

And then I saw a video of Eric Jones performing it with a group at a convention and my suspicions were confirmed.

Really, really strong piece of impromptu, self-working magic.

RS.
Raymond Singson where can we see this presentation???
http://youtu.be/acCwpHihDLI

Ryan
RSchlutz, thanks for your help!!! Good effect indeed!!!
That one is originally by Woody Aragon.
[quote]
On 2014-02-05 19:11, virtualwizard wrote:
[/quote]

Scarne on Card Tricks was the first card trick book I consulted as a boy. The original Signet paperback is long gone, but Dover, with publishes all the Fulves stuff, has reprinted it and it is easily and inexpensively obtained. A lot of the tricks therein I believe turn up in some form in more recent works, albeit in more modern dress.

It's a cool book and not a complete dinosaur. I am surprised it doesn't get much mention here.

Les
My favorites are ones I have created and perform everyday. Many are published in my book Inspired
[quote]
On 2013-06-21 01:04, Shayde Phoenix wrote:
Miraskill - Stewart James
[/quote]

John Bannon has an effect "A view To A 'Skill" based on this effect.

Bannon eliminates the "moves" that you need to do the James version according to the book High Caliber. (it is originally from "Open and Notorious" 2009. Although this is a long (some might say drawn out) effect, It is by far one of my favorite effects in the new book. I really enjoy performing it for family and friends in a non formal setting.
I've done one for 30 years I call Three Card Prediction. I think it's a Maurice Fogel effect, but I don't have a source. I originally learned the routine at a magic club 'Teach A Trick' night. The nice thing is that it can be done with literally any deck of cards. Rook, UNO, Old Maid, Go Fish, Flash Cards, etc. PM me and I'll describe it if you are interested.
I think it is called the "Fogel's triple prediction"

best,

merlin
[quote]
On Apr 10, 2013, James Kellogg III wrote:

here is the link
[/quote]
This is a great effect!
[quote]
On Feb 27, 2014, Codyreese wrote:
[quote]
On Apr 10, 2013, James Kellogg III wrote:

here is the link
[/quote]
This is a great effect!
[/quote]

Cheapskate that I am, I balked at splurging twelve bucks on a single trick, especially given my hobbyist status and the fact that I usually only show tricks to single person at a time and C3 seems to need three volunteers. Ended you giving it a shot. It is perfectly doable, if not as powerful, with one or two specs. With just one, the magician can easily contrive for the spec to produce his chosen card while the magician reveals the most closely related card (e.g., spec's selection is QS, magician produces QC). With two volunteers you can just have everyone dealing from three "hands," with the spec producing his selection, the magician producing the cross suit of same colour, and the other spec producing a same-valued card in one of the two remaining suits. Or with two specs you can do it bridge-style with the fourth hand as dummy.

Great effect, simple in principle, and a test of the performer's style and presence. One really has to really emphasize, in deed more that words, that the cards have been severally and throughly shuffled and the selection lost.

Les
Los Angeles by Howard Hamburg, so much fun & no set up needed.
Ricky jay did jon racherbaumer's NO JONAH POKER deal on the tonight show for jimmy fallon.it's available from lybrary.com
"Brr" by Thomas Baxter
[quote]On Mar 30, 2014, KokoB wrote:
Los Angeles by Howard Hamburg, so much fun & no set up needed. [/quote]

Hey, where this can be found ?

thanks !
Like to know also
I will also put a vote towards Gemini Twins
My favorites are Untouched by Daryl and Free Will, it's not fully self working but the simple but smart and invisible sleight takes place before the effect even has begun to the spectators. The rest is is self working and hits VERY hard and gets great reactions. Recommended! - http://www.lybrary.com/free-will-p-476988.html
[quote]On Jun 11, 2013, Edmark Law wrote:
Stonehenge by Lennart Green. [/quote]
lennart green will come to China soon~
If you like self-working magic,you must to read <<scarne on card trick>>,it's a amazing book~enjoy it
The Hat Trick from CC1 is very effective
Utterly Blown Away by Tom Daugherty in the March 1995 issue of Apocalypse. This is an impromptu variant of Juan Tamariz's Blown Away which was published in the July 1987 issue of Apocalypse.
Do as I do card effects are great. There are several variants to it.
[quote]On Mar 30, 2014, KokoB wrote:
Los Angeles by Howard Hamburg, so much fun & no set up needed. [/quote]

hi KokoB,

where can this effect be found (book/dvd)?
thanks!
Three for Two in Simply Simon by Aronson. Hands off, three almost-free choices. The part that's fun as a magician fooler is a Balducci force with no second cut deeper. Drives 'em crazy.
Stolen Cards
Overkill
4 Times A Charm (Martini's Magic)
Sorry, I guess there's somewhat of a setup for the 3 I just mentioned. Also, the Mastermind deck (I know- gimmicks) is such a killer self worker and the spectator never wants to see the cards because they look at the entire deck the whole time.
"Impossible divination 2" by Larry Jennings ! Any deck and test condition.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZ4NwpDXyEg

Nicolas
A go to for me that has been pure gold is Simon Aronson's "Self Control" concept and the effect "Self Control Lie Speller" from the Aronson Approach. It's utterly fair and they do everything from a shuffled deck. A lot of impossible mentalism with cards is possible just with that one concept.

David
[quote]On Aug 2, 2013, a brown 1968 wrote:
Hello everyone ,

I have often been told that self working card tricks with no gimmicks are dull, repetitive and only for hobbyists or newbies and not real workers.

Personally I have never prescribed to this general point of view . However the proof is in the pudding as they say and so I put together am effect which met the following criteria .

Borrowed shuffled deck
No gimmicks
Another vote for The Crusade. It really is an amazing effect. Totally worth the money. Also, U. F. Grant's Nu Way Out Of This World is a great, sleight free, completely impromptu version o
No stooging or duality
No set up
No memorisation

The above are the standard criteria met but I wanted to set a higher bar

When asked for a repeat performance it can be done with no fear of the audience becoming any the wiser as to how the impossible is done
An effect good enough for a pro to put in their working repertoire

The effect in question is "The Crusade " and already has a 7 page thread in the latest and greatest with numerous reviews and testimonials which show an ungimmcked self worker can stand equal to a sleight of hand effect

What I did no expect was for the effect to be doing so well on the best magic release of 2013 .

Long live the self worker !!!

Andrew [/quote]
Another vote for The Crusade. It really is an amazing effect. Totally worth the money. Also, U. F. Grant's Nu Way Out Of This World is a great, sleight free, completely impromptu out of this world. Again, totally worth the money (only $3.00!!!).
I've recently been intrigued with some of the work of the mathemagician Colm Mulcahy. "Three Scoops Ice Cream" uses his Low Down Triple Dealing shuffle. Restore a deck to NDO with four of these shuffles using two numbers called out by specs (Low Down Double Dealing). Google "Card Colm" to see the methods and discussion ala Martin Gardiner style.
Thank you for the vote of confidence in Crusade

Atlas and I greatly appreciate it

Andrew
[quote]On May 17, 2013, magicfish wrote:
Not telling [/quote]

Good one, Magicfish!

As for myself, I can perform a pretty mind-boggling OOTW with someone else's shuffled deck.
A do as I do effect
Paul Wilson's "Con Cam Coincidencia" has been recommended numerous times in this thread.

Shin Lim performed this routine on the final episode of America's Got Talent last year, and he also performed it shortly afterwards on Ellen.

Here are clips of both his "Con Cam Coincidencia" performances:

[youtube]YonLeD9Z89k[/youtube]

[youtube]dz-W7z78RFY[/youtube]
[quote]On May 5, 2013, Bulla wrote:
Just a plea for future posters, Can you please stop posting asking about the "BEST" etc...
It doesn't exist. Everyone has a different opinion and therefore it comes down to personal taste.
A better way to word it is to ask about Good or Practical methods/tricks regarding something. [/quote]

Seconded.
I like Paul Gordon's Eight of Diamonds trick.
Just scanned through this thread. Nice to see at least a few (not newbies) read the "good stuff" - and even recommend them, like...

"100 Harry Lorayne effects (just buy and read his books.)"
Hello,

John Bannon's Move Zero DVDs are pure genius, it's what I've been waiting for.
I'm obsessing over "Sort of psychic" after seeing the explanation, and I heard there is a new version in his Fire when ready.
Can anyone confirm that?

Max.
Pre-pre-figuration, I learned it from Mark Elsdon's Penguin Live Lecture. Great impromptu predicted spell-to-card four of a kind production.