(Close Window)
Topic: Rocky Raccoon
Anyone knows where I can buy a good quality raccoon spring puppet? I've searched the internet but I don't trust the pictures posted on the websites.I've bought some crappy ones and don't think I can afford to waste my money.
If you've recently bought one,can you point me to the source please.
Thanks in advance.
I had the same quality concerns you have and as a result researched on the Café at forums such as "The Little Darlings". The gist of the recommendations were to get one made by Magic Masters and the older the better. I was able to buy mine from the Tricks For Sale forum on the Café and am very pleased with it. It was an unopened original! They are nearly impossible to find so I would place a "Want To Buy" topic in that same for sale forum.

John
Hard to find now, don't know why. I am still using my old one after many repairs.
[quote]
On 2013-04-14 10:55, maps wrote:
Anyone knows where I can buy a good quality raccoon spring puppet? I've searched the internet but I don't trust the pictures posted on the websites.I've bought some crappy ones and don't think I can afford to waste my money.
If you've recently bought one,can you point me to the source please.
Thanks in advance.
[/quote]

The Magic Masters RR will last you a lifetime:

http://www.vikingmagic.com/Rocky%20Raccoon-Magic%20Masters
... Dave Williamson has performed it is a restaurant situation, I believe.
David Stone also used this in a restaurant. I have too, it's pretty funny, just don't get too close to the food until they find out is not actually a real animal.
Not a fan of the idea. But then again nothing magicians do suprises me any more.
I would say it's not a good idea. Yes, some people would love it, but it's a restaurant, what if one has an issue?

The last couple of years, I guess what I think is off limits doesn't mean much. I found that Youtube clip of an Applebees Magician doing the Goshman Dong at a table and defending using it. He said he knew them, but you could see other tables in the background.

So, I guess you can attach the Goshman Dong to a Rocky and set it all on fire and it's ok these days.
I made my order at Abbotts.Thank you everyone
My local magic shop informed me that magic masters has discontinued Rocky. Is this true?
The twp reasons I avoid it are the aforementioned rodent corelation and the hair. Just not a fan of bringing hair into a restaurant situation.
Inappropriate content performed by magicians ???? I find that hard to imagine........ Don't I ????
Anyone try this version out? [url]http://therockyraccoon.com/Rocky_Raccoon_Rocky_Racoon_The_Best_Gift_Idea_Ever_Great_Gifts_For_Kids_Funny_Gift_Gret_Gift_ideas_Christmas_Gift3.html[/url]
It is a pitty that there are no pictures of Arthur and no email adresse to email.
[quote]
On 2013-10-19 10:24, ROBERT BLAKE wrote:
It is a pitty that there are no pictures of Arthur and no email adresse to email.
[/quote]

Here is the website for the Gent in the video!

http://www.tnmagic.com/contact/
Thanks
Yes, Magic Masters is no longer. Rob Stiff now makes them, if you can go to a magic shop and "test drive" them to find the right one.
I emailed back and forth with Tim Noonan about his Rocky. He says there is nothing like the Original and he is not using the same manufacturer any longer. He did say they were pretty good. I think I am going to give Magic Makers Reality Raccoon a try. It looks good, not sure if it will last.
[quote]
On 2013-11-14 17:46, Gr8gorilla wrote:
I emailed back and forth with Tim Noonan about his Rocky. He says there is nothing like the Original and he is not using the same manufacturer any longer. He did say they were pretty good. I think I am going to give Magic Makers Reality Raccoon a try. It looks good, not sure if it will last.
[/quote]

I purchased their Robbie the Racoon and it lasted all of a day. Hopefully Reality Racoon is better.
If you can find a Magic Master's original Rocky Raccoon, it will last a long time.
Most of the raccoons on sale now are of a very poor quality, I ha my original for years now I am lucky to get a season (6months) out of one.
I agree that most are bad. Apparently shortly before going out of business magic masters had changed manufacturers and their raccoon had declined in quality as well. I Worked there about 12 years ago and loved the Raccoons. I think they were the only reasonably priced item in the store honestly. I will let you guys know my honest opinion of the Reality Raccoon or Skunk I think I am going for actually.

I have heard it is better than Robbie.
I just purchased a supposedly "original" Rocky the Raccoon. It is from Magic Masters and it says "original" but I can't say since I never owned one back in the day. Got this one from MadHatters Magic. Working wqith it about a week and it seems to be good quality.

Thanks!

Jim
If its an original you were lucky to find it !
It is definitely made by Magic Masters, but I can't tell if it was made before or after the change in manufacturing quality.

Jim
I bought a rocky raccoon from Madhatter's Magic Shop. It is an "Original" rocky raccoon but it's not the oldest version of Rocky out there. The oldest version is the one that was discontinued.

The Rocky Raccoon from Madhatter's Magic isn't that bad. It does sound like the spring inside is wrapped in a plastic probably to protect the spring from penetrating (is it a good enough time to use that word?) the fur. It's definitely not as fluffy as the first generation rocky though. It doesn't shed as much either.

I also just bought a first generation spring animal made by Magic Masters from a gentlemen in France off ebay (picked it up for about 28 dollars including shipping!). It's the skunk one. I'll let you know the differences first hand once it arrives.
I bought 2 from Madhatter Magic...One Rocky looked different then the other...one had a long snout, and one had a very short snout, and the short snout looked a little more whitish (still raccoon colors)...does anyone know if the shorter snout is an older or newer one?
I worked at Magic Masters in the late 80's, learned how to manipulate Rocky from the best, Dennis Sowers. Now Rocky is my trademark routine. I agree with the postings here, the Magic Master older models are by far the best. There are ways to improve other brands (they are in my lecture notes) and even add costumes.

One problem I have with any brand of Rocky is the hide eventually rubbing away from where it my fingers manipulate it. I keep old worn out Rocky's just for this reason. Cut a patch of hide from the old one, sew it into place over the worn out area of the latest one and you're ready to go.

Another hint is to pay close attention to the placement of the eyes when you buy a Rocky. As with any puppet, it's all in the eyes. I usually take out the eyes that come with it and add new ones. Sometimes I add glasses to highlight the eyes. There's a link at the bottom of this post, click it to see glasses worn by an off-brand spring animal (a red fox) that I made from a dog toy for about $10.

As to the topic of this forum, I would never use Rocky in a restaurant. The biggest reason is the fur. They shed. I don't care how much you brush the puppet, it's going to shed. The fur will be on your fingers as well as your shirt, jacket, pants. If any of the kids want to pet Rocky, they will then have fur on their hands. Yucky.

Seeing a person walking around in a restaurant with an animal immediately creates a negative image, usually with adults, which means you then have to work that much harder to bring it back up. Children may be attracted to the puppet, but the bottom line is you have to impress the parents... they're the ones who will be calling you later for a booking. Isn't that one of the big reasons for doing restaurant work?

So many times I see Rocky routines that are based on, or word-for-word, David Williamson's routine. Please stop doing that. Granted, his routine is clever and funny, but there is so much more that can be done with Rocky. Approach it as a puppet, which it is. Now create puppet routines. Make Rocky a character, give him reactions, have him do tricks, whatever.
Thanks Greg. Interesting tips.

Jim
Greg are you saying people should stop making Tom Selek and Brook Shields jokes? You sir are no longer welcome here.
Thanks Greg
Message: Posted by: JeffreyMichael1127 (Nov 2, 2014 06:24PM)
Www.larocks.com that is where I got mine great quality....I think it can be found under the "puppets" section...Robbie Raccoon
While we're on Rockys, any suggestions on repairs? The spring is through the hide.
I also have problems with the spring breaking thru the hide, it's bound to happen after awhile. I keep old worn out Rocky's just for this reason. Cut a patch of hide from the old one, sew it into place over the worn out area of the latest one and you're ready to go. If you don't have old Rockys just use a piece of leather or other tough fabric. Since the worn out area is where your fingers are placed, the patch will not show when you're using it.

On my site I have lecture notes (Rocky Workshop) that shows how to fix it and also how to help prevent it happening again.
I replaced the Tom Selleck line with Groucho Marx and Brooke shields is now madonna or Britney Spears. David is doing the Magic Masters' pitch with a few additions of his own. I agree with Greg, make it your own, but I still do the pitch I was taught by the late great Mike Abston. Yes, I worked for them too and managed a few stores too.
[quote]On Nov 2, 2014, JeffreyMichael1127 wrote:
Www.larocks.com that is where I got mine great quality....I think it can be found under the "puppets" section...Robbie Raccoon [/quote]

Thanks for this web site.

Emmett
What are good replacements for the Rocky Raccoon by Magic Masters?
Nothing really. You can try Arthur the Raccoon. Or if you can find an Original Rocky in a mom and pop magic store (do those exist anymore?).
I bought a Magic Masters Robbie a few years ago at a local shop. I have had nothing but trouble with it. The first one already had the spring poking through the skin. The second one's tail started coming off after a few days )and very little use). One of the worst $40 I ever spent on a prop.
Eyebrows: Bert from Sesame Street. Moustache: Super Mario. Underarm: Kim Kardashian.
[quote]On Feb 22, 2015, Tukaram wrote:
I bought a Magic Masters Robbie a few years ago at a local shop. I have had nothing but trouble with it. The first one already had the spring poking through the skin. The second one's tail started coming off after a few days )and very little use). One of the worst $40 I ever spent on a prop. [/quote]
You either bought a Magic MAKERS "Robbie" or a Magic Masters "Rocky"...there's no such thing as a Magic Masters "Robbie" Based on the description of your trouble I'd say you got the Magic Makers knock off.
I have a Magic Makers Tricky the Fox. Goes perfect with my brand, Seems decent quality but I never had a Rocky to compare it with. The fur does shed slightly but its fine for kids shows, I wouldnt use it in a restaurant however.
[quote]On Mar 22, 2015, Engine wrote:
[quote]On Feb 22, 2015, Tukaram wrote:
I bought a Magic Masters Robbie a few years ago at a local shop. I have had nothing but trouble with it. The first one already had the spring poking through the skin. The second one's tail started coming off after a few days )and very little use). One of the worst $40 I ever spent on a prop. [/quote]
You either bought a Magic MAKERS "Robbie" or a Magic Masters "Rocky"...there's no such thing as a Magic Masters "Robbie" Based on the description of your trouble I'd say you got the Magic Makers knock off. [/quote]
On closer look... yes it is Magic Makers Robbie. Horrid thing ha ha