(Close Window)
Topic: The Creative Solutions Deck
Hi guys, I just wanted to stop in and tell you about an exciting new project Iíve got going on - the Creative Solutions Deck.

The deck is a beautifully designed deck of creative problem solving cards that JUST HAPPENS to have been built from the ground up to facilitate amazing and EASY mind reading and mentalism effects. Weíve all seen the arguments here on the MC in Penny about whether you should use playing cards in your mentalism sets, yes, no, maybe, you choose. I played with the idea of a Concept Deck in Mokele, replacing the suits and pips of a deck of cards with really meaningful concepts that will resonate with punters, and Creative Solutions is a polished end result of that train of thought.

If you love cards, but arenít sure about using them in your mentalism, or if you are a magician who knows loads of cool card tricks and wants to experiment with some proper mind-reading without starting from scratch, the Creative Solutions Deck is for you.

The project is on Kickstarter right now, which I think may be a first for magic and mentalism - there is a little video explaining the thinking behind the deck and the text explains some of the features that have gone into the design to make mind-reading easy and fun. Hereís the link:
http://bit.ly/creativesolutionsdeck
Let me know what you think, Iím really excited about this, and I think it will be really cool for people to get their hands on.

Thanks!
Phill
Terrific thinking, Phill!
I'm reminded of some work done with the "Creative Whack Pack," some years back.
But this is so much more advanced with the use of custom cards.

I can already think of a multi-phase routine that could be very powerful (I'll PM you the details),
but suffice it to say, this is a great tool for anyone who wants to get away from playing cards and specifically for those of us who work corporate audiences.

Really looking forward to this!

e
Hi Eric, thanks!
The inspiration came from those kinds of Creative Whack decks and the legendary Oblique Strategies deck by Brian Eno and Peter Schmidt.
I'm intrigued by your routine, and I'd love to hear it, please do PM me! I've had a great time coming up with new ways of presenting existing effects as mind reading pieces using the deck, it unlocks a lot of stuff.

Phill
Great idea. I'm in.
I'm in...brilliant
Incidentally Eric's handling was one I hadn't even thought of that used the deck as part of a complete stage piece - but it's his idea so you'll have to bug him for it!

Phill
Me too.
I can use this in conjunction with my own deck.

steve
Rick Maue has a nice technique on one of his L&L DVDs that would work well with these cards.
Which DVD Mr G?
Mr Samuels...

Bug, Bug, Bug, Bug, Bug, Bug, Bug, Bug, Bug, Bug, Bug, Bug,

Pretty Bug, with a cherry....and sprinkles.

Steve
http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/bright-idea/

I use these sometimes... Phil's stuff sounds like a good idea for a different tack and fun!
Those cards are a really nice update on Tarot Dr S, I like the modern visuals - maybe more 'now' than the arcane acolyte's journey or the actual Tarot. How do they play with punters?
[quote]
On 2013-04-17 11:13, phillsmiff wrote:
Which DVD Mr G?
[/quote]

Mental Deceptions - Volume 1

The effect is called "Mixed Emotions"
Thanks for the suggestion Mr Grue.
[quote]
On 2013-04-17 11:36, phillsmiff wrote:
Those cards are a really nice update on Tarot Dr S, I like the modern visuals - maybe more 'now' than the arcane acolyte's journey or the actual Tarot. How do they play with punters?
[/quote]

Fine - as I don't really present them as mystic tarot at all - its just a "reflective tool for sparking imagination and creativity" based on cultural symbols etc etc
The new looking cards fit that really nicely. They feel much clearer and relavent, although I expect that the arcane feel of the tarot does imbue them with a certain *power* in some people's eyes.
Indeed - I just let THEM fill it with their own beliefs... I just smile and move the cards in patterns and toss out reflective statements here and there :)
HOORAY!
Hooray!
I'm still trying to figure out if there have been any Kickstarted magic projects before.
Well, no.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/copelandmagic/be-amazing-learn-to-perform-magic-with-this-teachi
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1181785481/custom-exotic-wood-magic-wands
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/marciehume/where-the-magic-happens-a-new-documentary
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seelivemagic/festival-of-magic-7-nights-with-15-amazing-magicia
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/myronic/myronic-starring-myron-the-magnificent-and-the-lov
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/davidlondon/winter-festival-of-wonders
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/farocards/the-hedge-bicycle-special-edition-stripper-decks

Some good. Some... er...

Actually the Where the Magic Happens documentary looks kind of interesting.

Phill
Superb idea. I was discussing the potential of using the 'Oblique Strategies' or 'Inner Vision Deck' in mental routines with friends a few months back - now we have something tailor made for our needs.
Someone on Reddit accused me of just repackaging the Oblique Strategy deck, which is totally mad, I can only assume he didn't read any of the pitch at all beyond just the pictures.

I wrote about my idea for a Concept Deck before in my book, and when I started really thinking about it the Oblique Strategies / Creative Whack kind of deck seemed like a really nice fit. What we do is creative, we just solve impossible problems so it is a logical link to me. People don't question the deck, it doesn't need much explaining and it looks like what it is supposed to be - that is good enough for me.

Phill
Also - thanks to everyone who has backed the project so far - we are about 38% of the way there after one day! That's great/mad. If you have backed it, please share the link with your network because if we don't get 100% funded not only will the deck not happen but Kickstarter goons appear in a van and drag me off to a forced labour camp run by hipsters and bronies.

Phill
Hi Phill.

If you don't get 100% funded and the deck does not happen, do the people that have backed it get a full refund?

Regards,

Ian.
You actually don't get charged unless it gets funded. There is zero risk.
http://www.kickstarter.com/help/faq/backer+questions#BackAProj
Apart from for me, with the unmarked van scenario ;-)
I'm new to this (although its my very good friend Marcie making the "Where The Magic Happens" documentary am from what I've seen, it's amazing!! So please support it).

Once I've pledged money and the project goes ahead, can we then buy some decks from you?

Sorry if this was made clear somewhere already.

X
Hi Colin, if you pledge and the project goes ahead, that's basically you buying the deck (depending on the reward level) . You pay, decks get printed, I send them out.

Depending on how it goes I might order additional stock for normal sales. The FAQ at the link above explains all (I'm on my phone now so it is tricky to chase down the exact url) .

I always assume everyone knows about Kickstarter because I know about it, but I've come to learn it is a mistake to assume that. I'm adding more details about the exact process on the site tomorrow morning.

The documentary looks good, do you know when it will be released?

Phill
Also Colin, check your spam box, I sent you an email about your email...
Looks to be a fantastic idea, I made sure to put my money where my mouth was. Good luck Phil
[quote]
On 2013-04-17 11:09, Stephen Young wrote:
Me too.
I can use this in conjunction with my own deck.

steve
[/quote]

That was my thought as well...
Hey Phill, I've backed ur project and sent you a pm. Looking forward to the finished product.

Regards,
Sea
Thanks for your support guys. Ref: using the deck in conjunction with other pieces, I think that's a great idea, very doable. It is designed to be a utility prop - increasingly I'm interested in designing not super focussed presentations but utility methods and approaches that are applicable to lots of different situations, more like tools to help other people build the presentations they want to build. I guess the deck could be more 'generic' and not have the Creative Solutions 'disguise' but I would be concerned with the issue of having to address what the deck actually *is*. I think the Creative Solutions framework is a reasonable compromise? I'd say 'what do you think' but since I'm the only person who's got one, we'll have to wait and see.

Phill
Phill,

I just jumped in the pool. Can't wait until we hit the 1500!

Hey! - how do you log out of Kickstarter?

Mark
Looks awesome. Will be ordering soon.

Can I point out the LUDICROUS offer of £55 or more. Get all of Phils eBooks AND the deck for £55! That's an insane deal. That's just...What!?

Chris.
Chris, be careful, it looks like you've got already headache ... ;) Jan
[quote]
On 2013-04-20 13:32, JanForster wrote:
Chris, be careful, it looks like you've got already headache ... ;) Jan
[/quote]

Haha. My Profile Pic changes depending on what mood I'm in. So when my tablets kick in I'll be smiling again.

Well...it doesn't do that. But it would be good.

Chris.
Thanks guys. Marqus, you don't log out, it's like the rabbit hole.
Chris, the ebook offer is pretty cheap but I am of the opinion that everyone who wants my books probably has them by now anyway so really it is a way for people to scoop up the ones they don't already have.

Additional mega thanks to all the backers, the project is about 88% funded now after just a few days. Thanks for all your support guys!

Phill
I'm in, Phill! The deck looks beautiful. So many possibilities!
Getting close! Good luck Phill!
Looks like a go!
Success!!!
Yes! The project hit 100% last night - that's really good for a Kickstarter project like this. More than half of all projects don't make it at all, so to hit the target a week in is brilliant. Thanks to everyone who has backed the project.

I added an update saying thanks at http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/551779105/the-creative-solutions-deck-for-mind-reading-but-s/posts

In it I mention a new stretch goal - basically I have been working on an ebook of effects with the deck, all my background and development work in coming up with killer ways to use the deck - and the stretch goal is that if the project gets to 200% before it finishes on May 8th then *everyone* who has backed the project will get the ebook for FREE. If we don't hit this stretch goal it doesn't affect people getting their decks though - if people have backed the project, they WILL get their decks regardless.

At the moment that's by the by though, mainly I'm just super chuffed that we managed to get the project to 100% at all!
Massive thanks to everyone who has supported the project.

Phill
A little late to the party here. I think I just got us 1% closer to the 200% goal. :bg:
For some reason I seemed to have missed this - up until now. Having Phill's other releases, I needed little persuasion. This looks good and Phill's next target has just edged a little closer.
Hi guys, sorry to be boring - we hit 150% today which is awesome, at this rate we SHOULD be good for the stretch goal. To this end I put a whole load of information about the ebook that is the reward for the stretch goal up at:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/551779105/the-creative-solutions-deck-for-mind-reading-but-s/posts

Thanks!

Phill
Looks like you hit the 200% mark, woo hoo, well done phil
Thanks Seamagu, and everyone else who has supported the project!
We blasted past 200% so every single backer *will* get the ebook now too.
I still need to write the last few bits and drop a couple of drawings in of course...

Phill
Congrats, Phill!
Well deserved!

e
[quote]
On 2013-04-29 15:00, phillsmiff wrote:
Thanks Seamagu, and everyone else who has supported the project!
We blasted past 200% so every single backer *will* get the ebook now too.
I still need to write the last few bits and drop a couple of drawings in of course...

Phill
[/quote]

Great news Phill! Looking forward to my 2 decks AND the ebook!
Same here. Congrats, Phil!
Thanks everyone! I actually wanted to double check the proof so I had a super final lock-down proof done with the Sure Slip finish and the proof deck arrived from the printers on Friday. Even my wife (who doesn't care about such things) said it was "much better", which is high praise indeed. With the sure slip finish they handle just like normal high-end playing cards, so even if you have effects that rely on complex sleights they will work flawlessly. A little part of me was worried that the texture would compromise the print, but they look perfect, Ivory have done a great job.

I'm really pleased with how things have gone so far, and I'm really psyched to put the final order in this week and to eventually get on to sending out the decks and the ebooks. A few people have asked about whether the deck will be available after the Kickstarter project finishes on the 8th (this Tuesday) and the answer is yes, *but* not with the free ebook and definitely not with the £55 ebook bundle. If you want those you've got until Tuesday to snap them up.

Thanks again!
Phill
I just edited the Kickstarter page for the Creative Solutions deck so it now has no suggestion that it is a mind-reading prop (for future Googlers after your gigs, you know) - it still looks pretty good! If anyone is interested in grabbing them you have 9 hours!

https://bitly.com/creativesolutionsdeck
Hi Phil,
Any update on the decks. Looking forward to getting my hands on my pack,

Regards,

Sea
My set arrived today and WOW! These are superb...so clever and innocent, and perfect for some new corporate work I am doing with a senior leadership team.

Brilliant!

Todd
Ah ha! Good news indeed.
Thanks Dr Todd, I'm glad (relieved!) that you like them. The decks are all posted now, just polishing the ebook for sending out, currently 85+ pages and it should be emailed out at the beginning of the week.

Phill
Just got home and my deck was sitting on the doormat. The quality is superb and possibilities immense.

Thanks Phill.
[quote]
On 2013-06-01 13:10, phillsmiff wrote:
Thanks Dr Todd, I'm glad (relieved!) that you like them. The decks are all posted now, just polishing the ebook for sending out, currently 85+ pages and it should be emailed out at the beginning of the week.

Phill
[/quote]

Look forward to the Ebook...you have cracked it with this one...countless possibilities.
Mine have arrived safe and sound and I agree - superb quality, I very much appreciate the additional printing on the box and the time and care that has gone into the design makes this deck both practical but also a true utility prop - well done and thank you Phill, gold star and I look forward to reading the ebook :)
I agree with Andy, the additional printing on the box is much appreciated.

I now need to wear reading glasses and so have to be careful which effects I use. However I was looking at this deck first thing this morning and without my reading glasses on. Pleasingly I was able to read the necessary and which is also brilliantly disguised in the design.
Thanks guys, I'm getting some good + useful feedback here and on email.

I'm just sitting down to put the final shine on the ebook and then get it out. My intention is for it to be a 'living document' in the same way as Elliot Bresler's ridiculously excellent Switchcraft, so although it is already at ninety some pages it is actually not particularly exhaustive - I've set out to explain the bits I want to cover with my usual depth / waffle but there are really only about ten effects in there out of the millions that are possible with the deck. Rather than try and cover everything I have covered the basics and then the whole thing will evolve as we all work with the deck.

OK I'll just shut up now, get it done and then out to you.

Phill
OK done, check your inboxes!

Phill
Hey Phil, 20 pages in, I'm lovin this eBook, even the cheesy gags!

Thanks for sending it out,

Regards,
Sea
Woah woah, cheesy gags? That's GOLD seamagu!
;)

Phill
What kind of cheese allows you to hide a horse?.......mascarpone

Did you hear about the explosion in the cheese factory? - de Brie everywhere

Where do mice stay when they are out of town? - The Stilton

Now those are cheesy gags!
That Mascapone joke is one of my favourite puns.

My actual favourite regards the year that Arnold Schwarzenegger didn't receive any Easter eggs. When asked by his wife if he no longer liked the holiday, he replied "I still love Easter, baby."

OK it doesn't make any sense written down, and it isn't about cheese. Sorry.

Phill
Still made me laugh and I will be using it in the classroom tomorrow :)
Mine arrived yesterday.
They look great!

d
Got this a week or two ago, thanks for the efficient production and high quality of the product - the ebook is an added bonus

I can see people getting a lot of use out of this
I received my Creative Solutions Deck today from England. It looks and feels good and I'm looking forward to working with it. Thanks Phil for bringing it to life!
Anybody from the States get theirs yet?
Same question as above for anyone in Europe (but not the UK, for you pedantic types). :)

Steve
I got mine about a week ago (NY, here) and I have to say - this deck is really great. It bridges quite a few ideas that I've used separately for some time, all in one neat little place! These certainly look like any of the lateral thinking decks you'd find in art or book stores. Card quality is great as well!

I'm definitely going to put a lot of time into this deck, can't wait to get running with it!

I haven't read through the entire ebook yet, but it's great, so far. Excellent thinking, and it's already given me a few ideas, beyond the reasons for which I originally backed the deck on kickstarter.

Excellent job, Mr. Smith!
Hey Steve, mine haven't arrived in Ireland yet either, hopefully next week. Got the ebooks though, man they rock :)

Regards,

Sea
Mind arrived in WA State, today.
So far, my only comment is based upon my initial reaction -
Looks terrific!

e
Bummer that decks have started to drop in the States, a week ago in NY and today in WA, yet here in PA, bordering NY, no Creative Solutions Decks.

Wait a minute, Mr. Postman...

Regards,
-Ah
So now that I have received this wonderful deck from an overseas dealer, how do I get hold of the eBook on it?
Hi guys, me again. Sorry for the delay in sorting this out, but the deck is now available on my website:
http://www.phillsmiff.com

The ebook is also available on there as a pdf download:
http://www.phillsmiff.com/creative-solutions/the-creative-solutions-deck-ebook/

Thanks for your kind words about the decks too, its nice to see people enjoying it. I'm getting lots of great messages from people who are already finding ways to use it and incorporate it into their performances, which is awesome and personally quite exciting, knowing there are real punters out there being fried using the deck!

Phill
I have read through the ebook while awaiting the decks. (c'mon postie! get yer finger out!)

A very enjoyable read.
I like the homour in there as well as the great effects.
What stood out for me was the thought that must have gone into the presentations.
Great work sir.

Now if I could just get my hands on a deck.
Steve
Emailed you...

Phill
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone else is waiting on their decks to arrive? Looking forward to trying out a few of the effects from the routine, especially coinkidink.

Also, I see there is another kick starter project similar to the layman's use for the creative solutions deck (which is a good thing I think)

Regards,

Sea
And emailed you.

Phill
The pdf for the Creative Solutions Deck is well written, useful and discloses some fascinating approaches to mentalism. Thanks Phill.
Is there any package deal for the deck and ebook?
These cards are unbelievable.

Phill and all the contributors. Thank you so much for bringing these into existence. My brain has been going none stop:)

I am so excited to be using these...

I predict these are going to go a lot further than you may have anticipated Mr. Smiff.

GIVE THANKS
Took a trip to California for 2 weeks. Would have liked to show these off to friends at the Castle but they still haven't arrived, even upon getting all of my mail that had been held at the post office.

Anyone else not receive there decks?

-AH

[quote]
On 2013-06-14 22:31, Adam Hince wrote:
Bummer that decks have started to drop in the States, a week ago in NY and today in WA, yet here in PA, bordering NY, no Creative Solutions Decks.

Wait a minute, Mr. Postman...

Regards,
-Ah
[/quote]
Hi Adam, I'm still waiting on mine. Email Phill and let him know, as far as I know he is working on it,

Regards,

Sea
We've just had a week long strike by postal workers that ended on Friday so hopefully this week I'll get mine.

Steve
This has been a bigger problem with this release than with any of my books - I can't help but wonder if the smaller envelopes are just more loseable / nickable by postal hands. It's so frustrating to me, and I can only apologise for the ridiculous delay. Steve and Sea, your replacement decks have DEFINITELY gone out, Adam, please send me an email at info@sushidesign.net and I'll sort you out too.

Phill
Mine have arrived Phill. Thanks very much.

Very nice quality.
Nice boxes.
Easy to use (if you know what I mean)

First thing I will use them for is in place of playing cards for Atlas' Mind Readers ACAAN.

Steve
Hi Stephen, I'm glad they turned up (eventually!), and extra glad that you like them. I spent a long time thinking about ACAAN with the deck, because the Creative Solutions deck is all about rebuilding existing card tricks into mentalism pieces and ACAAN already kind of straddles that line (in out little subculture anyway) - I started looking at my own ACAAN Grandmaster Easy and started peeling back the layers, but I ended up going back further and basically removing the ACAAN element (you know what I mean from the ebook effect Coinkidink). I think there are a lot of different approaches to actually doing the ACAAN with the deck, as well as a few extra hurdles of course - it would be cool to know how you apply it.

Have fun!

Phill
Just for the record EVERYONE has their decks now. I'm not sure what the issue was with the postage but it is now sorted and we are smooth sailing again.
Enjoy your decks guys!

Phill
Hi team, two things:
One, the CS deck is available now at Phillsmiff.com for a knock down price if you use the 30% discount code TRIACONTAGON but this offer runs out TOMORROW (12th) so rush now!

Secondly, I'm really chuffed with the kind words people have been sending my way about the clarity and simplicity of the marking on the CS deck, and a few people asked if there was any likelihood of there being a normal deck of playing cards with a similar marking system. Well, one has been in the pipeline for a while and it's available for preorder (shipping v. soon) at http://www.sovereignplayingcards.com If you are interested in using an unambiguous marked deck with a lightening quick read in close up or on stage, it is worth a good look.

Phill