(Close Window)
Topic: My sister needs your prayers
Hello fellow Christian Magicians,
I come to you all asking for your help. My sister was just diagnosed with depression yesterday and she is not taking it well. Her name is Sydney and she is only 17 years old. I just found out today that she was hiding it from the family for quite some time now and she is only telling us because it has become too much. We, my family, are trying to figure out what route to take. I hope the Café community can help us through this dark time with your thoughts and prayers. Thank you for reading this and God Bless!
Hi Crash. I will remember to pray for Sydney.

I don't know if this might help but: When my first great love: Kathy, broke up with me it shattered me. I just walked around in tears for months. Then, I read a "Help-wanted" flyer about a young boy "Brian", who had Cerebral Palsy and needed someone to spend time with him in the afternoon.

Brian was 18, my age at the time, and when I first saw him it was shocking. He had never grown past the body of a 5 year old and his arms and legs were so very tiny. He only had the strength to lift his head so his dad would place Brian in front of a CB radio and Brian would drop his chin onto the CD microphone button and talk with truckers.

When I walked away from our first meeting I became dizzy and had to sit down in someone's yard. Brain look so deformed and weak and it just broke my heart.

As the weeks went by I really began to look forward to seeing him every day. His parents would let me wheel chair him around the neighbor hood and we would "pop wheelies" with his wheel chair and race down the street. He loved it and I loved him.

I still hurt over Kathy but in some strange way God used Brian to give me hope again and start to lift me out of my depression.

A great Bible teacher: James Roibison, often says that God wants us to "sow seed to our needs" meaning that if you are hurting, find someone even more hurting and become their true friend and place your heart more on their needs and happiness than your own. God will bless Sydney greatly if she can ask His help in doing that.

Maybe present this teaching to Sydney Crash.

your friend,
Alex
Crash...please be assured of my prayers for Sydney.

I will especially ask St. Dymphna to pray for her. St. Dymphna is the patron saint of those suffering from depression.

God's blessings as you minister to your sister.
Thank you guys for your kind words. It means a lot. He only gives what we can handle. He is testing me and my family. We found a great doctor who will help her through medication and therapy. I can't wait to see what happens
Let us know how she is doing!
Crash,
Praying fervently for her. Edward T. Welch has several very good books dealing with depression that helped me a great deal. His books are written from a Christian perspective and not a secular psychology mindset. Search his books on Amazon or the Kindle store, or at a christian bookstore. Titles he has written include: "Depression: Looking up from the Stubborn Darkness", "Running Scared: Fear, Worry & the God of Rest", "Depression: The Way Up When You're Feeling Down", "Hope for the Depressed: Beyond a "Cheer-up" Theology"
All are great and loaded with right thinking concerning God when facing this malady, and all are available in Kindle edition as well.
Blessings!
Stephon
Hey Crash,

As someone who has struggled with depression I'm tempted to try and offer advice, but maybe you could share some more information and we could pray more specifically and also offer more specific advice if one or more of us has some experience with her particular situation.

Then again, maybe you don't want suggestions or advice, and that's okay too. We're always here to pray for each other.

Is your sister a Christian? That would be the first place to start. If she's not, then it's no surprise that she's depressed. She'll never have the peace that only God can provide until she receives Christ as her personal Savior and Lord.

If she is, a good place to look is the Psalms for comfort. David struggled with depression for various reasons- attacks from his enemies, his own sin, but when he put his focus on God he would always come away relieved and praising. Another person to consider is the apostle Paul, he had good reason to be depressed with all that he went through in the cause of sharing the gospel, and yet he could be found praising in the jails.

Sometimes we can get out of step with God and just feel separated from Him. We might not even be in some deep sin, but our fellowship is hurting in some way- maybe our focus has shifted to the world for a time- and we just need to get our perspective straight again. God sometimes allows times of depression to get our attention and get our focus back on Him if we've been pursuing the wrong things. Not even necessarily bad things, just maybe not His plan for our life.

These are just some things you can maybe pray with; or for, your sister about. I would just say, try not to seek out medication as the first course of action when God has more power to heal the root cause than doctors do. Hopefully she is willing to let God show her the deep seated reasons for her depression and let Him do the work in her that only He can do. And yet, I do understand that sometimes people do have chemical problems that medication can very accurately address.

I say this as someone who was depressed and on medication, who then had God show me the real cause was my own sin and rebellion against God. Once I began getting the habitual sin out of my life I no longer needed medication and my walk with God greatly improved.

Hope you receive this in the spirit that it's all intended. I tried to be brief, but there's a lot to be said on this subject. I also hope I haven't offended you with these suggestions, but I hear about your sister and my heart goes out to her and I want to share what I've experienced.

Just continue to be there for your sister and maybe lovingly remind her that as God's children we don't have to be depressed. Times of depression and discouragement may come, but with all that God promises us in His word we can only rejoice as He faithfully brings us through every trial. All the promises of God belong to us! Amen.
Will pray for Sydney!
Praying for Sydney - He is able.
[quote]
On 2013-04-24 20:29, crash1992 wrote:
Hello fellow Christian Magicians,
I come to you all asking for your help. My sister was just diagnosed with depression yesterday and she is not taking it well. Her name is Sydney and she is only 17 years old. I just found out today that she was hiding it from the family for quite some time now and she is only telling us because it has become too much. We, my family, are trying to figure out what route to take. I hope the Café community can help us through this dark time with your thoughts and prayers. Thank you for reading this and God Bless!
[/quote]

My best friend fought depression and he had to see a psychiatrist for around a year. Yes, it may be pricey, but we all know depression leads to suicide. If it can be prevented no matter the dollar amount, a life is definitely worth it. Suicide is nothing to joke about. It is far too real. I feel it is a medical problem. Not something created for attention like some believe it is. Prayers go out to your sister, yourself and family as you help her through this. Although I missed a lot of details since much of it was personal things and it wasn't my business, I saw how it can affect a whole family instead of the individual. My friend ended up taking medications for anxiety and was slowly eased off and has been a happy camper for the last 4 years without medicine or trips to see a psychiatrist. It gets better. Once again, prayers go out to you all.
Aaron
Love prayers sent your way.

Secrets are sometimes a rule in family, or just by one or a few family members.
They can also be found in Church.

You and your sister will be overwhelmed with suggestions.

Medication and counseling are helpful for some. So is change in diet and exercise.
As mentioned above, so can getting out of self and helping others.

God heals in many many ways.

Love brother Harris aka drlaugh4u
fishers of men of kansas city...and still 2 old to know everything
Loving prayers for Sydney and all close to her.
My prayer to your sister!

I had a 7 year fight without knowing what I was battling... till He was the last hope and one day He unveiled the other side to me and took away what I had inside aswell the invisible blindfold that made me blind! I bowed to Him and the impossible became possible - it was the most difficult decision in my life but the best one :)
I dropped the medication and began a new life trusting Him in everything I do with total freedom, stronger then ever and today I'm the man I never thought I would be.

Heart in Christ,

Elcio