(Close Window)
Topic: Long time listener... First time caller.
Hi All!

Been lurking for awhile and finally signed up. I suppose I should introduce myself...

I've been on/off on magic ever since I was a kid and figured out I could bounce a rubber band back and forth between my fingers, this escalated in my early 20's when I had the good fortune to work as an assistant for a local magician in Milwaukee. He taught me a great deal and I spent a good amount of time honing what I learned, though I've never thought of myself as anything but a dedicated amateur, or, since that word doesn't have the nicest connotations, enthusiastic hobbyist. My interest in magic has never waned, though my attention to it has. It seems every time I take a trip to Vegas I come home obsessed with magic for a time... This time is appears to have stuck.

I've been acting steadily since I was 11, and have always always enjoyed performing on and off stage. I prefer close-up work and prefer sleights to gaffs, though I'm not above using them or a solid packet trick as long as it works. I practice in front of a mirror until I can convince myself, then I try to convince my wife and end up back in front of the mirror (I have my original tutor, Jeffrey Jene, to thank for instilling a good "ethic" in me 20 years ago).

I've started going through the Ackerman EatCT DVD set (I've always had difficulty with books) step by step and am having a blast learning each move.

I look forward to learning from all of you, and hope to contribute in return.

Thanks!

-Drew
Welcome, Drew,
Hey, I went through, in a different but similar way, what you went through. I also checked out this site, and eventually joined.
You are going to love it, and it definitely will sustain your interest and give you many ways to contribute and learn.

I share your love of close up as well. I look forward to seeing you around.
Have to do my vanishing act, see you soon,
Scott
Welcome DrewCambell,

You can't go wrong with Ackerman.

I'm with you, While I have learned some from books (well written ones) I really learn a lot better from video (and better still from good video).

-Mary Mowder
Welcome to the Café

sparky :nose:
Hi Drew,
Let me welcome you to our beautiful Café. As you have noticed it is one of a kind;unique.Absolutely the best the best place about magic ever.You will find this as a invaluable source that you can not buy even with money. The people are so friendly as well as being helpful.The Café is such a the unique place for Magic. It is ever expanding and has over 54.000 members throughout the world. It will make a great contribution to your magic perspective. Do not forget to post often. You will find many new friends and many new ideas here. I predict you will like the Café.Please grab a chair and begin to type your next post while you have a cup of strong Turkish coffee on my bill.
We are glad that you have joined us.
[img]http://themagiccafe.com/forums/images/smiles/turkishcoffee.gif[/img]
[b][i]Grosse Pointe Blank[/i][/b] fan?
Learning from another magician is way better than learning from books. I wish I had that chance when I first started. Welcome to the Café.
Hi! I'v also just joined after lurking for many years! Welcome also!